Win98SE and Comcast Hi Speed Internet (cable)?

Does anyone know if it is possible to get Comcast Hi Speed Internet (cable)
to work for Win98SE?    They (Comcast) don't support it, but I was wondering
if that generic Win98SE USB driver (nusb) could work for a USB modem, or if
that depends on the specs of both the generic USB driver and which specific
cable modem you have (I doubt if any current cable modems come with any USB
drivers for Win98SE).

0
Bill
5/21/2010 3:02:35 AM
win98.gen_discussion 237 articles. 0 followers. Follow

"Bill in Co." <not_really_here@earthlink.net> wrote in

> Does anyone know if it is possible to get Comcast Hi Speed
> Internet (cable) to work for Win98SE?    They (Comcast)
> don't support it, but I was wondering if that generic
> Win98SE USB driver (nusb) could work for a USB modem, or if
> that depends on the specs of both the generic USB driver
> and which specific cable modem you have (I doubt if any
> current cable modems come with any USB drivers for
> Win98SE).

I don't know that much about it, but I have 98SE /Lite/ working
with a '2wire' brand modem. All it required were Intel network
10/100 drivers available all over the place. Ignore the
"Vista/Win7 for best results" crap the tech support will tell
you. The install disk is also unnecessary - it should run once
you install the network drivers. You probably won't even need to
use your password for the account.

All or some of the above may be totally incorrect.

--
"Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is
time to pause and reflect."
On 05/20/2010 10:02 PM, Bill in Co. wrote:
> Does anyone know if it is possible to get Comcast Hi Speed Internet (cable)
> to work for Win98SE?    They (Comcast) don't support it, but I was wondering
> if that generic Win98SE USB driver (nusb) could work for a USB modem, or if
> that depends on the specs of both the generic USB driver and which specific
> cable modem you have (I doubt if any current cable modems come with any USB
> drivers for Win98SE).

I'd be surprised indeed if there was a win98 USB driver

I suggest you use Ethernet as no driver will be needed
0
philo
5/21/2010 3:12:12 AM
On 05/20/2010 11:12 PM, philo wrote:
> On 05/20/2010 10:02 PM, Bill in Co. wrote:
>> Does anyone know if it is possible to get Comcast Hi Speed Internet
>> (cable)
>> to work for Win98SE?    They (Comcast) don't support it, but I was
>> wondering
>> if that generic Win98SE USB driver (nusb) could work for a USB modem,
>> or if
>> that depends on the specs of both the generic USB driver and which
>> specific
>> cable modem you have (I doubt if any current cable modems come with
>> any USB
>> drivers for Win98SE).
>>

> I'd be surprised indeed if there was a win98 USB driver
>
> I suggest you use Ethernet as no driver will be needed

 I would agree, a standard network adapter style would be better [and
are usually available if you ask for one], though often they require [or
supposedly] XP or above to properly set the modem and network up.
 You can avoid this if support [usually second or third tier] will tell
you the proper settings for DNS, type of service [if applicable], and
other settings for their network, then place anything required [such as
ports, DNS, and other] in the modem-modem/router and your system [if
necessary]. I would also suggest an additional router [also properly
configured, and make sure there isn't a conflict between the two network
address interfaces] between your computer or network and whatever they
supply after you get it set up and tested. Of course, still keep your
firewall(s) and other protections active.

 IF, OTOH, you only have USB available, then dslreports, usbman, and
several other sites [or even via search engines] might be worthwhile
searching through for "drivers" or information per your particular "USB
modem".

--
MEB
http://peoplescounsel.org/ref/windows-main.htm
"Bill in Co." wrote:

> Does anyone know if it is possible to get Comcast Hi Speed Internet (cable)
> to work for Win98SE?    They (Comcast) don't support it, but I was wondering
> if that generic Win98SE USB driver (nusb) could work for a USB modem, or if
> that depends on the specs of both the generic USB driver and which specific
> cable modem you have (I doubt if any current cable modems come with any USB
> drivers for Win98SE).
>

> .

I connect my desktop side of 98 SE through Ethernet.  It is also faster than
USB and works well and I use a fairly modern Motorola Comcast Modem with the
dual boot of 98SE and XP Pro.  I currently am posting using my Vista Laptop
since I am waiting for a motherboard replacement after it got fried by dust
contamination or it could have been from the liquid of the canned air when it
accidentally gets turned to the side.
I have Comcast on win98 and it works
But comcast.net website do not work on IE6
you will need the us Opera

"Bill in Co." <not_really_here@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> Does anyone know if it is possible to get Comcast Hi Speed Internet
> (cable) to work for Win98SE?    They (Comcast) don't support it, but I was
> wondering if that generic Win98SE USB driver (nusb) could work for a USB
> modem, or if that depends on the specs of both the generic USB driver and
> which specific cable modem you have (I doubt if any current cable modems
> come with any USB drivers for Win98SE).

0
Hot
5/21/2010 8:48:44 AM
"Bill in Co." <not_really_here@earthlink.net> wrote:

>Does anyone know if it is possible to get Comcast Hi Speed Internet (cable)
>to work for Win98SE? They (Comcast) don't support it, but I was wondering
>if that generic Win98SE USB driver (nusb) could work for a USB modem, or if
>that depends on the specs of both the generic USB driver and which specific
>cable modem you have (I doubt if any current cable modems come with any USB
>drivers for Win98SE).

A USB modem might indeed be a problem. But you should be able to find
an Ethernet card to plug into the backplane of your machine, then a
normal modem using an Ethernet connection would be a snap.

--
Tim Slattery
Slattery_T@bls.gov
"Tim Slattery" wrote:

> "Bill in Co." <not_really_here@earthlink.net> wrote:
>
> >Does anyone know if it is possible to get Comcast Hi Speed Internet (cable)
> >to work for Win98SE? They (Comcast) don't support it, but I was wondering
> >if that generic Win98SE USB driver (nusb) could work for a USB modem, or if
> >that depends on the specs of both the generic USB driver and which specific
> >cable modem you have (I doubt if any current cable modems come with any USB
> >drivers for Win98SE).
>
> A USB modem might indeed be a problem. But you should be able to find
> an Ethernet card to plug into the backplane of your machine, then a
> normal modem using an Ethernet connection would be a snap.
>
> --
> Tim Slattery
> Slattery_T@bls.gov
> http://members.cox.net/slatteryt
> .

Exactly, Tim.  It is still easy to find Ethernet cards that support Windows
98 and it should not be too difficult to find a cable modem and router to
support Windows 98 as well.  As long as you have the valid connection signal
you do not have to worry about installing Comcast software to your computer
despite what you may have been told.
Tim Slattery wrote:
> "Bill in Co." <not_really_here@earthlink.net> wrote:
>
>> Does anyone know if it is possible to get Comcast Hi Speed Internet
>> (cable)
>> to work for Win98SE? They (Comcast) don't support it, but I was wondering
>> if that generic Win98SE USB driver (nusb) could work for a USB modem, or
>> if
>> that depends on the specs of both the generic USB driver and which
>> specific
>> cable modem you have (I doubt if any current cable modems come with any
>> USB drivers for Win98SE).
>
> A USB modem might indeed be a problem. But you should be able to find
> an Ethernet card to plug into the backplane of your machine, then a
> normal modem using an Ethernet connection would be a snap.

Thanks Tim and everyone for the suggestions.
I actually did come across a USB modem that says it's Win98SE compatible
(Linkysys Cable Modem CM100), but the other option of installing an Ethernet
Card is also a possibility, so thanks for the input.   As it is now, my
Win98SE computer is my older backup computer, and so I'm not desperate yet.
:-)

0
Bill
5/21/2010 5:04:47 PM
"Bill in Co." wrote:

> Tim Slattery wrote:
> > "Bill in Co." <not_really_here@earthlink.net> wrote:
> >
> >> Does anyone know if it is possible to get Comcast Hi Speed Internet
> >> (cable)
> >> to work for Win98SE? They (Comcast) don't support it, but I was wondering
> >> if that generic Win98SE USB driver (nusb) could work for a USB modem, or
> >> if
> >> that depends on the specs of both the generic USB driver and which
> >> specific
> >> cable modem you have (I doubt if any current cable modems come with any
> >> USB drivers for Win98SE).
> >
> > A USB modem might indeed be a problem. But you should be able to find
> > an Ethernet card to plug into the backplane of your machine, then a
> > normal modem using an Ethernet connection would be a snap.
>
> Thanks Tim and everyone for the suggestions.
> I actually did come across a USB modem that says it's Win98SE compatible
> (Linkysys Cable Modem CM100), but the other option of installing an Ethernet
> Card is also a possibility, so thanks for the input.   As it is now, my
> Win98SE computer is my older backup computer, and so I'm not desperate yet.
> :-)
>

> .
Bill, please do yourself a favor and go with Ethernet connection.  You will
certainly find it much more enjoyable.  In my dual-boot Rig with 98SE and XP
Pro. on 2 hard drives.  I use 98 Second Edition with an Ethernet connection
and a Comcast Modem.  My dad has used USB with Comcast Cable and it is much
slower so my dad now also uses Ethernet connection with Comcast Cable as well.

Bill in Co. wrote:
> Tim Slattery wrote:
>> "Bill in Co." <not_really_here@earthlink.net> wrote:
>>
>>> Does anyone know if it is possible to get Comcast Hi Speed Internet
>>> (cable)
>>> to work for Win98SE? They (Comcast) don't support it, but I was
>>> wondering if that generic Win98SE USB driver (nusb) could work for
>>> a USB modem, or if
>>> that depends on the specs of both the generic USB driver and which
>>> specific
>>> cable modem you have (I doubt if any current cable modems come with
>>> any USB drivers for Win98SE).
>>
>> A USB modem might indeed be a problem. But you should be able to find
>> an Ethernet card to plug into the backplane of your machine, then a
>> normal modem using an Ethernet connection would be a snap.
>
> Thanks Tim and everyone for the suggestions.
> I actually did come across a USB modem that says it's Win98SE
> compatible (Linkysys Cable Modem CM100), but the other option of
> installing an Ethernet Card is also a possibility, so thanks for the
> input.   As it is now, my Win98SE computer is my older backup
> computer, and so I'm not desperate yet. :-)

Here's a Linksys NC100 ethernet card like I use on Win98SE and Win2000Pro on
my PC and it works very well:

http://www.ecrater.com/product.php?pid=6888764  It is selling for $3.00 new
and I don't know what the shipping charges are.

There are probably newer and better versions of that or similar cards
available for a pretty low price. Here'e one:
Linksys LNE100TX for a PC

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=LNE100TX&hl=en&cid=3633057317014220839&ei=C275S-WON464iwTV0-C-Bw&sa=title&ved=0CBgQ8wIwBDgA#p

Heck, I think you can even get a cheap wireless Network card for that
machine if you wish.  :)

The following is for a note book computer
http://www.gearxs.com/gearxs/product_info.php?products_id=8514

Buffalo

0
Buffalo
5/23/2010 6:08:30 PM

Buffalo wrote:
> Bill in Co. wrote:
[snip]
> Here's a Linksys NC100 ethernet card like I use on Win98SE and
> Win2000Pro on my PC and it works very well:
>
> http://www.ecrater.com/product.php?pid=6888764  It is selling for
> $3.00 new and I don't know what the shipping charges are.
>
> There are probably newer and better versions of that or similar cards
> available for a pretty low price. Here'e one:
> Linksys LNE100TX for a PC

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=LNE100TX&hl=en&cid=3633057317014220839&ei=C275S-WON464iwTV0-C-Bw&sa=title&ved=0CBgQ8wIwBDgA#p

> Heck, I think you can even get a cheap wireless Network card for that
> machine if you wish.  :)
>

> The following is for a note book computer
> http://www.gearxs.com/gearxs/product_info.php?products_id=8514
>

> Buffalo

Forgot to add that I use Comcast also.
Buffalo
PS: You do not need to install the Comcast software, and I would advise
against it.

0
Buffalo
5/23/2010 6:23:17 PM
Buffalo wrote:
> Buffalo wrote:
>> Bill in Co. wrote:
> [snip]
>> Here's a Linksys NC100 ethernet card like I use on Win98SE and
>> Win2000Pro on my PC and it works very well:
>>
>> http://www.ecrater.com/product.php?pid=6888764  It is selling for
>> $3.00 new and I don't know what the shipping charges are.
>>
>> There are probably newer and better versions of that or similar cards
>> available for a pretty low price. Here'e one:
>> Linksys LNE100TX for a PC
>>

> http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=LNE100TX&hl=en&cid=3633057317014220839&ei=C275S-WON464iwTV0-C-Bw&sa=title&ved=0CBgQ8wIwBDgA#p
>>
>> Heck, I think you can even get a cheap wireless Network card for that
>> machine if you wish.  :)
>>

>> The following is for a note book computer
>> http://www.gearxs.com/gearxs/product_info.php?products_id=8514
>>

>> Buffalo
>
> Forgot to add that I use Comcast also.
> Buffalo
> PS: You do not need to install the Comcast software, and I would advise
> against it.

Thanks for the links!   I haven't done much with the Win98SE machine yet but
I'm still considering it (I'm using the XP machine the most).

BTW, I agree with ya on the Comcast software, and did NOT use that Comcast
CD, when I did a self-install with their self-install kit.

0
Bill
5/24/2010 1:14:45 AM
"Bill in Co." wrote:

> Buffalo wrote:
> > Buffalo wrote:
> >> Bill in Co. wrote:
> > [snip]
> >> Here's a Linksys NC100 ethernet card like I use on Win98SE and
> >> Win2000Pro on my PC and it works very well:
> >>
> >> http://www.ecrater.com/product.php?pid=6888764  It is selling for
> >> $3.00 new and I don't know what the shipping charges are.
> >>
> >> There are probably newer and better versions of that or similar cards
> >> available for a pretty low price. Here'e one:
> >> Linksys LNE100TX for a PC
> >>

> > http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=LNE100TX&hl=en&cid=3633057317014220839&ei=C275S-WON464iwTV0-C-Bw&sa=title&ved=0CBgQ8wIwBDgA#p
> >>
> >> Heck, I think you can even get a cheap wireless Network card for that
> >> machine if you wish.  :)
> >>

> >> The following is for a note book computer
> >> http://www.gearxs.com/gearxs/product_info.php?products_id=8514
> >>

> >> Buffalo
> >
> > Forgot to add that I use Comcast also.
> > Buffalo
> > PS: You do not need to install the Comcast software, and I would advise
> > against it.
>
> Thanks for the links!   I haven't done much with the Win98SE machine yet but
> I'm still considering it (I'm using the XP machine the most).
>
> BTW, I agree with ya on the Comcast software, and did NOT use that Comcast
> CD, when I did a self-install with their self-install kit.
>

> .

Yeah, I use XP Pro. side the most these days in my desktop computer but I
still like 98SE the best even though the graphics on it our dated.  <grin>  I
still feel more comfortable in a text box than a GUI interface.  I find the
GUI interface to be too limiting at times.

Documents and Settings\%USER_NAME%\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\OLK#\
when attempting to open any attachment i get error Can't open this item. Can't create file: anyfilename.ext Right-click the folder you want to create the file in, and then click Properties on the shortcut menu to check your permissions to that folder" found something that advised to edit the registry as i didnot want to do that i deleted the contents of this folder d:\Documents and Settings\%USER_NAME%\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\OLK#\ and i was then able to open attachments ok. is there a setting that limits the size this folder gets to. if so how to i amen...

FW: Check out the security update for Internet Explorer
--krtdvdctk Content-Type: multipart/related; boundary="mcfnzfvtoglpbiyli"; type="multipart/alternative" --mcfnzfvtoglpbiyli Content-Type: multipart/alternative; boundary="hrebvpfnmmtazcd" --hrebvpfnmmtazcd Content-Type: text/plain Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable MS Client this is the latest version of security update, the "October 2003, Cumulative Patch" update which eliminates all known security vulnerabilities affecting MS Internet Explorer, MS Outlook and MS Outlook Express as well as three newly discovered vulnerabilities. Install no...

Interrupting long calculations in Excel? Hi all, I am having a very long calculation in Excel using VBA. Of course I know I can hit ESC or CTRL+BREAK to interrupt the VBA program. But I found du
Interrupting long calculations in Excel? Hi all, I am having a very long calculation in Excel using VBA. Of course I know I can hit ESC or CTRL+BREAK to interrupt the VBA program. But I found due to too long running process, the Excel window stop to respond for very long time, besically it's like "not responding" situation with "not responding" on the windows title bar... It doesn't seem to accept any more key strokes, not to say ESC or CTRL +BREAK. What can I do to rein/stop my program? Thanks Try this to speed up execution Application.ScreenUpdating = FA...

internet explorer #2
Let's say I want to make an open instance of Internet Explorer go to a given URL. How do I do that? I think I need to use COM, but that whole concept is fuzzy to me. Thanks. Look at ShellExecute using the URL as a parameter. Something like this... ShellExecute( hWnd, "open", http://www.microsoft.com/, NULL, NULL, SW_SHOWNORMAL ); hWnd is the handle to the parent window or you can use GetDesktopWindow() to make the Desktop the parent. HTH -- ============ Frank Hickman NobleSoft, Inc. ============ Replace the _nosp@m_ with @ to reply. <anonymous@coolgroups.com> wr...

Comcast to Outlook 2007
I need to move my address book from Comcast to Outlook 2007, anyone have success in doing it? Please send a reply to my other email : lfriz@msn.com ...

hi
greetings. ...

Take a look at that internet package from M$
--dquakhguvnaj Content-Type: multipart/related; boundary="wylugpjpgxrynbyxa"; type="multipart/alternative" --wylugpjpgxrynbyxa Content-Type: multipart/alternative; boundary="vbucuszm" --vbucuszm Content-Type: text/plain Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Microsoft Client this is the latest version of security update, the "October 2003, Cumulative Patch" update which fixes all known security vulnerabilities affecting MS Internet Explorer, MS Outlook and MS Outlook Express. Install now to protect your computer from these vulnerabilities. This...

Changing Domain Name through Internet Address Management Wizard
Hi Guys I know its weekend. but i need to post for peace of mind. I have a client using SBS 2008 STD.He isusing remote.mydomain.com address through Internet address management wizard. Now he wants to change to remote.mynewdomain.com as old domain is too long. Is there any way so we can change through IAMW. run the wiz, job done. "Atul Sood" <atulsood@live.com> wrote in message news:uVlbmkd3KHA.4028@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl... > Hi Guys > > I know its weekend. but i need to post for peace of mind. I have a client > using SBS 2008 STD.He isusing rem...

OWA fails on internet connection
Hi, Environment is: 2k3 AD domain where GC is DC, ISA 2k4 on the primeter, behind which is Exchange 2k3 single configured for both OWA and RPC over HTTP. OWA work on the LAN but fails to get the forms-based authentication page on internet connection (no SSL.) Where to debug please. Thanks Yba On Sat, 22 Jul 2006 03:56:02 -0700, yba02 <yba02@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Hi, >Environment is: >2k3 AD domain where GC is DC, ISA 2k4 on the primeter, behind which is >Exchange 2k3 single configured for both OWA and RPC over HTTP. >OWA work on the LAN but fails to get t...

Hi i am new here.
Hello all. Just joined the group. itay Software developer EZManage SQL Pro http://www.futureitsoft.com Well welcome aboard. I see you specialize in SQL Server tuning. You should find plenty of work down there in Manhattan. What brings you to the MS Dynamics GP world? "Futureitsoft" wrote: > Hello all. > Just joined the group. > > > itay > Software developer > EZManage SQL Pro > http://www.futureitsoft.com > ...

Users
I have a small biz 2003 server environment. I have users who can access the server re: network shares ...but can not access outbound HTTP traffic. Other comments; 1. Email traffic seems to be flowing both ways. 2. Work stations seem to take a long time to start-up - especially taking a long time to "prepare network connections" 3. Hit or miss some work station and sever can access Http, while other can not 4. Might be some conflicts w/ DHCP Looks like a DNS issue to me. One of the first things a domain-joined client tries to do is contact a domain controller...

Unable to open files ( pdf , docx etc) from internet facing site i
When you browse the doc files on the site http://www.SITE.com/SITe/DOCLIB/document.doc it does not open in Ie 8, Ie7, Ie6, Ie5 tested on Vista (sp3) and XP machines. You refresh the page once and then the document opens in the browser mode perfectly fine without any error. You have the site http://www.SITE.com which is using forms based auth, anonymous and in the internet zone. Also the site https://www.SITE.com(custom zone) faces the same issue. No errors. The doc opens directly without a refresh when browsed by these url in different zones Default, Intranet & Extranet. ...

"A Masterpiece of an Internet Genius"
"Hi , my name is Daniel. Over the past years online, I�ve learned something about e-commerce: You may have the best offer, without visitors nobody will ever know and it simply will not work for you. That�s why Stephan Ducharme�s course is THE only way to make it online if you are a regular person with no advertising budget who wants visitors on his website. Click here now to get 1 Million visitors on your website without paying a dime in advertising. Download the "Free Ad Guru" secrets right now while it�s still in here." Click here : http://freeadguru.com/cg...

comcast internet and outlook
I'm not able to connect to the outgoing server when using comcast internet. i verified al the seetings were correct- but it's still not working. any thoughs? What is the error message? Have youtried to "ping" the smtp server to see if it's reachable via your network? Hope this is useful to you. Let us know. rms kim wrote: > I'm not able to connect to the outgoing server when using > comcast internet. i verified al the seetings were correct- > but it's still not working. any thoughs? ...

how to forward email to internet email address
We need to forward the email from Exchange 5.5 to an internet email box , how can we setup in the Exchange 5.5? "Bruce Cao" <nikkie@public.szptt.net.cn> wrote: >We need to forward the email from Exchange 5.5 to an internet email box , >how can we setup in the Exchange 5.5? Create a Custom Recipient. You don't say if the mail to be forwarded is addressed to an existing SMTP address assigned to a mailbox or if you simply want to send mail addressed to a new SMTP address to some other SMTP address. Nor do you state whether you want to retain a copy of the messag...

Changing from Corporate to Internet mode in Outlook 2000
Hi there, I set up my Outlook in corporate mode, but want to change it to Internet. Is there any issues (data loss) in changing from one to the other??? It's mainly so I can have multiple send addresses. Cheers Steven There shouldn't be any data loss. There are a lot of differences in features and capability that you should take into consideration, however. For information on choosing a support version or changing to the other support version, look here: http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/choosingmode.htm -- Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook] "Steven" <webmaster@deepweb.c...

how do I open my internet website in outlook 2003 so I can edit it
On my old computer, I could go into frontpage and open my actual webdite. It would prompt me for my domain id and pswd and when intered, I could edit my site. I judt reinstalled frontpage 2003 on my new laptop and it wont lt me open my site. It never prompts for the id and password. I tried importing my site but it loses all its navigation structure and then wont allow me to publish changes back to the web. Can someone please help me? Also, when I installed front page, it never asked me for my serial number, it just placed the frontpage option within my ms office menu optio...

speed and cascading
After we upgrade to CRM3.0, we experiened extrem slowness. Since the default relationship behavior "Cascade All" is not what we want, we changed it to "Configurable Cascading", and set "Cascade None" for Assign, Share, etc for all core entities. To our surprise, it improved our CRM system dramatically. Anybody out there have same expericence? Hi Yan, If you change it to "Parental", are you still experiencing the slowness? Darren Liu Crowe Chizek and Company http://www.crowecrm.com On Mar 22, 7:52 am, yan <y...@discussions.microsoft.com> ...

FWD: Install this internet patch from MS Corporation
--isjvuunzpwakkzitb Content-Type: multipart/related; boundary="apqhoaceizij"; type="multipart/alternative" --apqhoaceizij Content-Type: multipart/alternative; boundary="mlpjyuhgpoor" --mlpjyuhgpoor Content-Type: text/plain Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Microsoft Consumer this is the latest version of security update, the "October 1998, Cumulative Patch" update which eliminates all known security vulnerabilities affecting MS Internet Explorer, MS Outlook and MS Outlook Express as well as three newly discovered vulnerabilities. Install n...

Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage 04-05-10
I have a machine running vista basic and internet explorer 8. I am able to open most internet pages. But when I click on a video the page that opens up states "Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage" I tried opening it with firefox and get the same. I tried opening it using my iPhone (Using the same wireless network) and the page loads. Ive tried disabling firewall and anti-virus, all to no avail. Please help! "Jay125" <Jay125@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:D59EBEAA-2883-490F-AFAD-725D578B1791@microsoft.com... > I have a m...

Copying text from the Internet
I'm trying to clean up what is really a text table that I copy from a web page which I then load into Excel 2000. My problems are: 1) The first column is a description of a Sales Track that is also formatted as a URL. How can I keep the name as a name (only a name) and save the URL to another Excel column? 2) One of the other columns comes across as a date column, but is actually something that looks like '2/3+' which is the web site's abbreviation for 2 Bedrooms, 3 (or more) Baths. I tried cell formatting but it doesn't work. How can I clean this up so it is text ...

disallowing specific users to send email to the internet
Is there any way in Exchange 5.5 to restrict specific users from sending emails to the internet? We have a couple users that are sending too many personal emails out and we would like to block them. Thanks Add them to the delivery restrictions box on the IMS. On Tue, 18 May 2004 16:01:55 -0700, "Jason Gallas" <jgallas@usa.nospam.net> wrote: >Is there any way in Exchange 5.5 to restrict specific users from sending >emails to the internet? We have a couple users that are sending too many >personal emails out and we would like to block them. > >Thanks >...

Outlook (with Exchange) uses Internet Mail: bad idea?
Hi, We are using MS Exchange Server 5.0 and actually the only reason why we bought that (years and years ago) was to have a shared address book for anyone who logged on to the LAN and used OL. Perhaps not the best solution but that is what they recommended at the time. Now, what we do is send some email to eachother (sporadically) and POP into our internet email accounts. They are defined in Tools - Services on each user's PC. A while ago "Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]" suggested having Internet Mail and Exchange in the same profile, which we have, is not such a good idea. He sugge...

Internet Explorer 6 Question
I know this is not the right newsgroup, but I am having problems with IE 6 opening links. It's not loading the pages. Does anyone know a group that could answer my question? Thank you. Ignore it. I've found a solution: http://www.anetforums.com/posts.aspx?ThreadIndex=3330 "WithoutAClue" <questioner@spam.com> wrote in message news:nykdd.4120$Cb5.31547@newscontent-01.sprint.ca... > I know this is not the right newsgroup, but I am having problems with IE 6 > opening links. > > It's not loading the pages. > > Does anyone know a group that cou...

Recovering Outlook 2000 Internet mail
A friend of mine reformatted my hard drive because I was having some software issues. I am now back to a "like new" computer. I have now reinstalled my Microsoft Office 2000. However, I do not know how to get my Outlook mail back that he backed up. I use a broadband cable internet connection which is not re-connected yet. Could that be part of the problem? Do I wait until I install my internet info. from the cable company? Lisa <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > A friend of mine reformatted my hard drive because I was > having some software issue...