Update - Microsoft Responds to the Evolution of Community

Microsoft is posting a new message (with the Subject as I used here) and
basically they're defining a timeline for group removal and their server
shutdown.

In the groups where they are posting this message to, they are saying
this:

-----------
Which Newsgroups Are Affected by this Shutdown?
All public newsgroups will eventually be closed between June 1, 2010 and
October 1, 2010.  Microsoft will be closing newsgroups in a phased
approach,
starting with the least active newsgroups and moving eventually to more
active ones throughout the course of the next six months.

When will this Happen?
Effective June 1, 2010 this newsgroup will be closed.
------------

I happened to see this in microsoft.public.win98.performance.

Microsoft is also saying this:

------------
In addition to offering a compelling online browser experience, for
those
users who prefer to use an NNTP (newsgroup) reader to participate in the
newsgroups community, we have developed a solution called the NNTP
Bridge
which allows a user to connect a variety of supported NNTP readers to
the
forums they would like to participate in and continue having the NTTP
reader
functionality.
------------

So it's bizarre why they are closing down their usenet server (which is
linked into their current web-forum interface) simply to create a new
web-based forum interface AND create an NNTP connection to the new
forums.

What Microsoft is doing here is clear.  It's no so much that they want
to re-engineer or re-invent their "communities" support structure, they
simply want to divorce themselves from the world-wide usenet
communications system, while still providing NNTP interface to what-ever
comes next.

This is to control the content of the material posted to the new forums,
because under the current arrangement they clearly don't or can't
control what gets posted to these groups via external servers.
win98.gen_discussion 237 articles. 0 followers. Follow

On 05/08/2010 12:57 PM, 98 Guy wrote:
> Microsoft is posting a new message (with the Subject as I used here) and
> basically they're defining a timeline for group removal and their server
> shutdown.
>
> In the groups where they are posting this message to, they are saying
> this:
>
> -----------
> Which Newsgroups Are Affected by this Shutdown?
> All public newsgroups will eventually be closed between June 1, 2010 and
> October 1, 2010.  Microsoft will be closing newsgroups in a phased
> approach,
> starting with the least active newsgroups and moving eventually to more
> active ones throughout the course of the next six months.
>
> When will this Happen?
> Effective June 1, 2010 this newsgroup will be closed.
> ------------
>
> I happened to see this in microsoft.public.win98.performance.
>
> Microsoft is also saying this:
>
> ------------
> In addition to offering a compelling online browser experience, for
> those
> users who prefer to use an NNTP (newsgroup) reader to participate in the
> newsgroups community, we have developed a solution called the NNTP
> Bridge
> which allows a user to connect a variety of supported NNTP readers to
> the
> forums they would like to participate in and continue having the NTTP
> reader
> functionality.
channels* here and is NOT *at this time* applicable to this particular
win98.gen_discussion group.
 Users should be prepared to receive the/any message relevant to this
particular group at any time and at Microsoft's pleasure via its
official channels and/or methods.

 Per this post brought here from another:

 Apparently Microsoft has now determined and created a method of access
for forum subjects it intends to offer within its online forums, users
of THIS particular win98.gen_discussion group and other groups
generally, should take specific note of further *official* Notice FROM
Microsoft official channels WITHIN those *specific* groups, of any
offered and/or provided access methods within such Notices and within
and *specific* to those individual groups. Posting or discussing
materials relating to any one group subject is not necessarily relevant
to others.

 As of very early this morning, I personally found no forums which had
relevance to Windows 98, though that may change at any time should
Microsoft create and offer them.

--
MEB
http://peoplescounsel.org/ref/windows-main.htm

"98 Guy" <98@Guy.com> wrote in message news:4BE597ED.5BFFDEB5@Guy.com...
> Microsoft is posting a new message (with the Subject as I used here) and
> basically they're defining a timeline for group removal and their server
> shutdown.
>
> In the groups where they are posting this message to, they are saying
> this:
>
> -----------
> Which Newsgroups Are Affected by this Shutdown?
> All public newsgroups will eventually be closed between June 1, 2010 and
> October 1, 2010.  Microsoft will be closing newsgroups in a phased
> approach,
> starting with the least active newsgroups and moving eventually to more
> active ones throughout the course of the next six months.
>
> When will this Happen?
> Effective June 1, 2010 this newsgroup will be closed.
> ------------
>
> I happened to see this in microsoft.public.win98.performance.
>
> Microsoft is also saying this:
>
> ------------
> In addition to offering a compelling online browser experience, for
> those
> users who prefer to use an NNTP (newsgroup) reader to participate in the
> newsgroups community, we have developed a solution called the NNTP
> Bridge
> which allows a user to connect a variety of supported NNTP readers to
> the
> forums they would like to participate in and continue having the NTTP
> reader
> functionality.
> ------------
>
> So it's bizarre why they are closing down their usenet server (which is
> linked into their current web-forum interface) simply to create a new
> web-based forum interface AND create an NNTP connection to the new
> forums.
>
> What Microsoft is doing here is clear.  It's no so much that they want
> to re-engineer or re-invent their "communities" support structure, they
> simply want to divorce themselves from the world-wide usenet
> communications system, while still providing NNTP interface to what-ever
> comes next.
>
> This is to control the content of the material posted to the new forums,
> because under the current arrangement they clearly don't or can't
> control what gets posted to these groups via external servers.
0
Hot
5/8/2010 7:56:31 PM
"Hot-text" <hot-text@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> BINGO
>
> "98 Guy" <98@Guy.com> wrote in message news:4BE597ED.5BFFDEB5@Guy.com...
>> So it's bizarre why they are closing down their usenet server (which is
>> linked into their current web-forum interface) simply to create a new
>> web-based forum interface AND create an NNTP connection to the new
>> forums.

Yep, shows Microsoft's reasons for taking their servers out is bullshit.

0
Sunny

Can't load updates after reinstall of Office 2004
Version: 2004 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.4 (Tiger) Processor: Power PC I needed to remove and re-installed Office 2004 recently. Used the "Remove Office" tool and then installed from the disc. It loaded ver 11.0 just fine, and at the end of the installation process, I selected the download updates option and that hangs up trying to install Autoupdater 1.1.2. The package downloads but the installation goes into a loop with the "Searching Macintosh HD" dialog box. After a long but unsuccessful trip to the Genius Bar, I removed everything and installed again using all the ...

Automatic updates
I cant get automatic updates to run. My operating system is windows xp and i have gone through the process that the microsoft web page advised. The error number is as follows 0x80245003. Can anyone help me? thanks -- kevin This community is for Microsoft Dynamics GP (formerly known as Great Plains) issues, not Windows issues. -- Charles Allen, MVP "kevin lunney" wrote: > I cant get automatic updates to run. > My operating system is windows xp and i have gone through the process that > the microsoft web page advised. The error number is as follows 0x80245003. &g...

Outlook Not Responding #13
I use OL 2007 daily. I'd say 20 times a week I get a messages saying "Outlook is Not Responding". OL shuts down and the automatically restarts and I'm back in business. Is there something I can do to make this go away. Am I doing something wrong? SteveR7138@msn.com What does the entry in Event Viewer say when this happens? Do you have any PDA/smartphone connected when this happens? Any add-ins that integrate with Outlook, like AV or a firewall? If yes, disable the integration. -- Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion in...

Auditing on Microsoft CRM
I need to know how one can properly audit user access, changes to CRM records etc. Is there a way to configure this within the application, or should this be done at the database level. Thanks, Wale. These guys have a solution for this: http://www.vscrm.com/productline.htm Never uesd it myself so cant speak for it but looks pretty functional. HTH Roger "walepop@hotmail.com" <walepophotmailcom@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:058291A2-692A-411A-A080-14526497C5B9@microsoft.com... >I need to know how one can properly audit user access, > changes to CR...

Microsoft Office 2004 for Mac 11.3.7 Update posted
August 14, 2007 Microsoft's Macintosh Business Unit (MacBU) today released Microsoft Office 2004 for Mac 11.3.7 Update. "This update fixes a vulnerability that an attacker can use to overwrite the contents of your computer's memory with malicious code. For more information about this update, see the Microsoft Knowledge Base article (KB940763)." Before you install this update, make sure that the Microsoft Office 2004 for Mac 11.3.6 Update is installed on your computer. To get the latest announcements, subscribe to the Entourage Help Blog. <http://blog.entourage.mvps.org/...

Crashing after a clean install
Hi, Clean install of 2007 on a new PC, all works fine except Outlook. Have tried to use 'autodiscover' to connect to account but keeps crashing. Tried manually - keeps crashing. Event viewer has the source as "Microsoft Office 12" "Faulting application outlook.exe, version 12.0.6514.5000, stamp 4a89dc70, faulting module rpcrt4.dll, version 5.1.2600.5795, stamp 49e5f46d, debug? 0, fault address 0x0000b34f." Have tried the detect and repair. Crashes into safe mode. MSKB has not help files for this error! Can anyone help please? TIA, ...

Error on Windows Update
Im not sure why but my labtop asus does not seem to allow me to get updats or recieve any it keeps poping up as error C004F012..if anyone can help me plz contact me at cory_mommyboy11@yahoo.com Please post your internet drivers license number if you need assistance. cory_mommyboy11@yahoo.com wrote: > Im not sure why but my labtop asus does not seem to allow me to get updats > or recieve any it keeps poping up as error C004F012..if anyone can help me > plz contact me at cory_mommyboy11@yahoo.com ...

Portfolio not updating stock prices properly
Some of my stocks in my portfolio do not update prices throughout the day. Some do, but most do not, including HD, T, ... ones that I know have the correct symbol inputted. For instance, at 7PM, when I look at my portfolio, most of the stocks list the days gain as unch, and still list yesterday's closing price (which didn't update until sometime late the night before). For those stocks, I never have a day's gain listed, because when the price finally updates, it's a new day!! Strange but true...any suggestions? I've had the same problem since last October except t...

IE will not access Windows update page
Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage browser address shows: <http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com> "updates are ready for your computer "KB952069" will not install and notification continues to pop up after automatic updates says "Installation Compete" Dell Mini 1010 Windows XP Home 32bit SP3 1gb RAM I cannot access Microsoft Windows Updates. All other sites work just fine. Original issue: Could not install any programs Software ran: Malwarebytes, Adaware, Spybot, Trojan Remover and CCleaner After finding various critters affecting PC...

Update query only partially working
Hi I'm trying to run an update query but for some reason it's only updating some of the records. The weird thing is that the field that i'm coparting to update is an auto number. I've checked both tables and the fields seem to be the the same and the records present in both so i'm stuck as to what is wrong. I'm using access 2007 to edit an access 2000 DB. Thanks On Thu, 26 Nov 2009 03:47:07 -0800 (PST), "d3cyph3r@gmail.com" <d3cyph3r@gmail.com> wrote: >Hi I'm trying to run an update query but for some reason it's only >up...

Microsoft Visual Basic
Hello, when I open Word 2007 in Vista 32 appears this message and functions like Help or search/replace hung the program, that must be closed. Problem appeared suddenly after some months working finelly. Any idea? Thanks a lot. ...

When is Microsoft going to redo the whole Word 2007 menu and toolb
Dear Microsoft. I have no idea who laid out Word 2007 but the toolbar, icons and menus at the top makit impossiblefor me to do my job. You should give people the option to keep the menus and icons layout that is in Word 2003. I spend most of my time trying to find things because whoever decided on these groupings makes no sense. I created my own customer toolbar but I can't put everything I need and use there. In your next release, please put in the option to have the origianal toolbar and menu of Word 2003. I am losing so much productive time becasue I can't find anythin...

auto-updating the auto-updater so 12.0.1 can be installed forces a complete delete and reinstall of office 2008
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: intel Okay - I must confess I never thought that the mac geeks that work for microsoft had any affinity for writing bad code, but i definately found some in the auo-updating system - which after a reinstall didnt recognise that 12.0.1 OR its own update were ready for download - i had to download 12.0.1 as a .dmg and have NO idea how to force the upgrader program to upgrade itself like its supposed to -- because it DID SO ONCE, and as of this moment none of the applications that are updated by that package refect that they have...

Change meeting don't send update
I want to change a meeting (in this case change the time by half an hour). I don't want to send an update to the attendee/s. The only options I get are "Save changes and send update" or "Don't save". I want to save the changes but not update. How can I make a change but not update people? If I remove the attendeed from the To box, it still wants to send an update, so presumably it is still registering them as people to say "you are no longer involved but I'll tell you anyway". If I click the "Cancel Meeting" button, it seems to wa...

MM 2004
I have noticed the past few times I have tried to get updates, I get the following error: Money encountered an error processing the downloaded file ('SMRTINET.INI'). Any ideas??? Chris Chris, I was encountering the same error and followed these steps to correct it. 1. Open Control Panel. 2. Open Internet Options. 3. Click on "Delete Files..." (Temporary Internet Files). 4. Click on "Delete Cookies..." (although I'm pretty sure this step isn't required) 5. Open and close Microsoft Money again...the error should be gone. You can also access the I...

Automatically updating birthday year in OL 2003
Just wondering if there's a trick or setting that I have overlooked in regards to birthdays in OL2003. I have put my contacts' birthdays in the Details portion of Contacts but I notice that I have some old ones in there that have not updated in 2 years! This means I have to go in and manually edit the year so that it is current. Any suggestions? Phatrabt phatrabt <phatrabt@nohotmailspamming.com> wrote: > Just wondering if there's a trick or setting that I have overlooked in > regards to birthdays in OL2003. I have put my contacts' birthdays in > the Deta...

Updater through Remote XML: Advice #2
I am implementing a very simple check routine that goes to my website and reads an XML file. The XML file basically contains all info for my apps and their current status. All I need to do is just read the version node and compare it to the current node and then advise the user to visit the website for the new version. Ive looked at ClickOnce and other methods but I would like to implement something simpler. Anyway, has anyone done this before? My XML will look something like this: <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?> <Apps> <App id="0001"...

getting updated info from pivot tables
Hi everyone, I created a pivot table with months as column and sum of clients an sum of members as rows. I take the last month and Grand total number to another table I use for reporting. Is there a formula that I ca use to tell the table to get the last month (grand total - 1) and gran total numbers so when I update the pivot I dont have to change the othe table all the time. Thanks for the help, Marco -- marksuz ----------------------------------------------------------------------- marksuza's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=265 View this ...

Auto Respond in Outlook Express
I am trying to create an auto response email in Outlook Express. I have set up the rule so that when messages come in with a certain subject line that it will "Reply with Message". I created a response email and saved it to my hard drive. The problem that I have is that the message that it sends back is in an attachment on the email. Is there any way to get it to respond and have the response text right inside the email that it sends back and not in an attachment? Thanks in advance Jeff J Donahue <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > I am trying to crea...

updates wont install get error message 643 & 636
how do I install them stella wrote: > how do I install them Which updates (listed by KB######)? What Operating System? What Service Pack level is your Operating System? What architecture is your Operating System (32-bit or 64-bit?) What antivirus software do you utilize? What firewall software do you utilize? What antispyware software do you utilize? What is your backup plan like (backups of your important data to external media)? What have you tried in order to resolve your issue so far? -- Shenan Stanley MS-MVP -- How To Ask Questions The Smart Way http://...

Upgrade PS2007 from SP1 to current updates
What is the best way to update our PS2007 installation (currently on SP1) with the latest cumulative updates? Can we just install the latest update from Dec 2009 in a test environmnet or is it necessary to install other PS updates first? RQ Hi RQ, you need to install SP2 first. After that you can apply CU December. Cumulative always means since latest Service Pack. Regards Barbara "RQ" wrote: > What is the best way to update our PS2007 installation (currently on SP1) > with the latest cumulative updates? Can we just install the latest update >...

Microsoft works stopped working
when I try to open my works and a new document it says it has stopped working and will contact me if it finds a solution. I'm stuck ...

shared calendars not updating
i have exchange 2007 sp1 and connected with outlook 2007 sp2, we have issues with some of our users , they shared calenders with others but they are not able to see the updates. ...

Updating stocks
After about a year of working fine, Money 2003 has suddenly stopped updating 2 stocks in a 10 stock portfolio. The stocks both still exist and Yahoo updates them instantly. What do I have to do to get 2003 to resume updating? Thanks in advance. -- SFF Which Stocks? What are the symbols you're using? Does MSN Money (http://money.msn.com) recognize them? -Mark "igorx" <igorx@cox.net> wrote in message news:Y1Btb.1320$vJ6.226@fed1read05... > After about a year of working fine, Money 2003 has suddenly stopped updating > 2 stocks in a 10 stock portfolio. The stoc...