two XP installs on one machine

Hi gang,

Can I have a 98SE on C, and /TWO/ different XP installations on
two other separate partitions?

I have 98SE on C now and XP on E but would like to add a second
- different - XP install on another partition.

It seems adding one more line to boot.ini should do the job.

Any comments?

--
Mozart tells us what it's like to be human, Beethoven tells us
what it's like to be Beethoven and Bach tells us what it's like

"thanatoid" <waiting@the.exit.invalid> wrote in message
> Hi gang,
>
> Can I have a 98SE on C, and /TWO/ different XP installations on
> two other separate partitions?
>
> I have 98SE on C now and XP on E but would like to add a second
> - different - XP install on another partition.
>
> It seems adding one more line to boot.ini should do the job.
>
> Any comments?

when you install XP a second time

it will append boot.ini

If this group is cut

I'll be over on the 24hour (lack of ) helpline

0
philo
7/1/2010 12:46:23 AM
"philo" <philo@privacy.net> wrote in

> "thanatoid" <waiting@the.exit.invalid> wrote in message
>> Hi gang,
>>
>> Can I have a 98SE on C, and /TWO/ different XP
>> installations on two other separate partitions?
>>
>> I have 98SE on C now and XP on E but would like to add a
>> second - different - XP install on another partition.
>>
>> It seems adding one more line to boot.ini should do the
>> job.
>>
>> Any comments?

> when you install XP a second time
>
> it will append boot.ini

That's what I thought, or at worst that I could do it manually.
But the most knowledgeable person on 24hr says it won't work.

> If this group is cut
>
> I'll be over on the 24hour (lack of ) helpline

Yes, that group is in a sad state.
Thanks very much for your help and see u there.

--
Mozart tells us what it's like to be human, Beethoven tells us
what it's like to be Beethoven and Bach tells us what it's like
to be the universe.
	- origin unknown
0
thanatoid
7/1/2010 4:08:43 AM
On 06/30/2010 11:08 PM, thanatoid wrote:
> "philo"<philo@privacy.net>  wrote in
>
>> "thanatoid"<waiting@the.exit.invalid>  wrote in message
>>> Hi gang,
>>>
>>> Can I have a 98SE on C, and /TWO/ different XP
>>> installations on two other separate partitions?
>>>
>>> I have 98SE on C now and XP on E but would like to add a
>>> second - different - XP install on another partition.
>>>
>>> It seems adding one more line to boot.ini should do the
>>> job.
>>>
>>> Any comments?
>
>> when you install XP a second time
>>
>> it will append boot.ini
>
> That's what I thought, or at worst that I could do it manually.
> But the most knowledgeable person on 24hr says it won't work.
>
>> If this group is cut
>>
>> I'll be over on the 24hour (lack of ) helpline
>
> Yes, that group is in a sad state.
> Thanks very much for your help and see u there.

OK

it's now July 1st
and I am testing to see if my own news-server still covers this group
0
philo
7/1/2010 5:44:42 AM
In message <hZOdncGu7sj8eLbRnZ2dnUVZ_oCdnZ2d@ntd.net>, philo
<philo@privacy.net> writes:
[]
>when you install XP a second time
>
>it will append boot.ini
>

>If this group is cut
>
>I'll be over on the 24hour (lack of ) helpline

It's only definitely being "cut" on the Microsoft servers - you can stay
here by setting up an account on one of the others (including free
ones).
--
J. P. Gilliver. UMRA: 1960/<1985 MB++G.5AL-IS-P--Ch++(p)Ar@T0H+Sh0!:`)DNAf

We need a reversal of the old saying: "DON'T do unto others as you would have
them NOT do unto you." (Paraphrase from "The Moral Maze", 1998-11-21: it was an
attempt - quite good I thought - to get a modern [and non-specific] version.)
"philo" <philo@privacy.net> wrote in message

> it's now July 1st
> and I am testing to see if my own news-server still covers this group

The June 1st groups stayed on MS's servers until the weekend following
the 1st.

0
FromTheRafters
7/1/2010 10:24:34 AM
thanatoid wrote:
> "philo" <philo@privacy.net> wrote in
>
>> "thanatoid" <waiting@the.exit.invalid> wrote in message
>>> Hi gang,
>>>
>>> Can I have a 98SE on C, and /TWO/ different XP
>>> installations on two other separate partitions?
>>>
>>> I have 98SE on C now and XP on E but would like to add a
>>> second - different - XP install on another partition.
>>>
>>> It seems adding one more line to boot.ini should do the
>>> job.
>>>
>>> Any comments?
>
>> when you install XP a second time
>>
>> it will append boot.ini
>
> That's what I thought, or at worst that I could do it manually.
> But the most knowledgeable person on 24hr says it won't work.

I did NOT!  :)

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

dadiOH
7/1/2010 11:47:59 AM
"dadiOH" <dadiOH@invalid.com> wrote in

>>> when you install XP a second time
>>>
>>> it will append boot.ini
>>
>> That's what I thought, or at worst that I could do it
>> manually. But the most knowledgeable person on 24hr says
>> it won't work.
>
> I did NOT!  :)

See answer in that group! You and Mike are 2 of (or THE 2) most
knowledgeable guys there, but he answered first! So I guess I'll
just have to try it, backing up all the root C stuff first.

Why do you suppose Mike says it will not work?

--
Mozart tells us what it's like to be human, Beethoven tells us
what it's like to be Beethoven and Bach tells us what it's like
to be the universe.
	- origin unknown
0
thanatoid
7/1/2010 9:58:24 PM
thanatoid wrote:
> "dadiOH" <dadiOH@invalid.com> wrote in

>>> That's what I thought, or at worst that I could do it
>>> manually. But the most knowledgeable person on 24hr says
>>> it won't work.
>>
>> I did NOT!  :)
>
> See answer in that group! You and Mike are 2 of (or THE 2) most
> knowledgeable guys there, but he answered first! So I guess I'll
> just have to try it, backing up all the root C stuff first.
>
> Why do you suppose Mike says it will not work?

He didn't exactly, he said the MS boot manager wouldn't work doing it.
That's wrong  too though and I have no idea why he said it.  Never done it
maybe

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

dadiOH

Why won't instant search in Outlook 2007 install?
Even though I have installed the add-in, I still get the dialog prompting me to install the instant search add-in. How do I activate this feature? ...

How do i sort contacts using more than one catagory ?
I am trying to create lists which have contacts sorted by more than one catagory. So including contacts that are linked to two or more specific catagories. Can this be done, if so how? thanks "samong" <samong@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:01E99022-AB21-487B-9365-2E66BB0C3F1B@microsoft.com... >I am trying to create lists which have contacts sorted by more than one > catagory. So including contacts that are linked to two or more specific > catagories. Can this be done, if so how? The Category field is non-sortable because it is a multi...

macro for comparing fields in two work books
Hello, I have two excel spread sheets (say A1 & A2). A1- is the master sprea sheet and A2 is smaller spread sheet with very few details. Suppose Column B in A2 has 100 partnumbers and Column C in A1 has th superset of partumbers (1000) and corresponding details for each par number, I need to: 1. Check if all the 100 part numbers in A2 has a corresponding match i A1 2. Extract the info for the matched partnumbers from A1 and list in seprate sheet. 3. Even if there in no match A1, let's say for 40 of them, it shoul still list those parts in the new sheet. Can anybody help me with t...

Want Input boxes to accept unicode strings on Standard Windows XP
I have a MFC application that is currently built with MBCS mode. If I run the program on a Chinese OS (Windows XP), the input boxes (Edit Controls) can accept Chinese chars and display correctly. If I run it on a standard English XP, the input boxes won't accept Chinese chars (display as "????") -- please note that I have already installed CKJ on the system and IE and Outlook can display Chinese correctly. Is this just because of different MFC libraries used for the application? Can I force the application running on Standard XP to use the unicode libraries so ...

One or more of your reminders can't be snoozed or dismissed
I am receiving the following reminder when attempting to dismiss a stale reminder that only appears whenever I access my Exchange email account via Outlook Web Access: "one or more of your reminders can't be snoozed or dismissed" This reminder is for a meeting that occurred a couple of months ago. It was deleted by me in Outlook at my workstation in the office and does not physically appear on the Calendar when using Outlook at the office. It DOES appear on the calendar when accessing via Outlook Web Access from the internet but is not deletable or modifiable in any way...

Excel 2000 running on Windows XP SP2 does not properly open CSV fi
The same file opened in using Excel 2000 running in Windows 2000 Pro open properly. The rows and columns are formatted properly. The same Excel 2000 opening the same CSV file but on Windows XP SP2 will not properly format the rows and columns. Hi check your regionals ettings in Windows ('Start - Control Panel') I'd suspect you have different column delimiters specified (comas versus semicolons for example) -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "Oscar" <Oscar@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:4985F8F5-5D33-425E-989C-65529CE63D05@mic...

RPC over HTTPS on one server?
Hi! I want to install all only on one server: - Windows 2003 Active Directory - Exchange 2003 The users should be ablte to use RPC over HTTPS and other Exchnage 2003 services. Which steps must I follow for installation? Any good links about it? Best Regards On Wed, 9 Feb 2005 00:13:02 -0800, "mustafa" <mustafa@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Hi! >I want to install all only on one server: >- Windows 2003 Active Directory >- Exchange 2003 > >The users should be ablte to use RPC over HTTPS and other Exchnage 2003 >services. > >Which steps mus...

Prinding each row of Excel sheet on a seperate page dispallying one record on each pa
From a spread sheet ,I need to print out a row on each page seperately that is printout each record on the row on one page seperately. Can any one please advise how it can be done ? Fro example Row 1 Data 11 Data 12 Data 13 Row 2 Data 21 Data 22 Data 23 Row 3 Data 31 Data 32 Data 33 I would want to print out Data 11 and Data 22 on one page then Data 21 and Data 22 on the second page and data 31 and Data 33 on the third page Pleae advise if and hwo this is possible. Thank you Sanjeev --- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ Sorry ...

98 to xp excel
ive been doing work on excel on 98 brought a new pc running xp when i put my floppy in and try to open its all jumbled up can anyone help? How did you open it? First, copy that file from the Floppy to the harddrive (using windows explorer). Then open, modify, save there. Then use windows explorer to copy back to the floppy (if required). (Working directly off removeable media is a bad thing.) Try opening excel, then file|open your file to see if that helps. And if it doesn't, go back to the old pc and get a fresh copy and test it out (from the harddrive). steve wrote: > >...

Entourage has stopped retrieving just one certain person's email
Version: 2004 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.4 (Tiger) Email Client: pop I have been receiving all my emails normally apart from just one sender, who i previously had no problems with. The email is sitting in my inbox when i log in via the browser account, however it just doesnt get sent directly from the sender. if I then send this person's email to myself, it gets delivered to my inbox. THe problem ahs only started in the last week, no settings have been changed and every other email is getting delivered. <br> My hosting provider says it is not their issue and they don...

Unable to install Analytics accelerator cube
I'm encountering trouble trying to install the SQL Analysis cube for the Analytics accelerator. I'm following the steps in the "SSAS2005SimpleCubeDeploymentGuide.doc" document. On step #3 the guide says to right-click on the CRM AF Base project and click "Deploy". Each time I do that, my result is a series of errors displayed in Visual Studio. The first error (that I'm guessing leads into the following errors) states: "Errors in the OLAP storage engine: The attribute key cannot be found: Table: dbo_FilteredOpportunityCompetitors, Column: competitori...

Installing CRM on 2003 Web Edition
Has anyone installed CRM 1.2 on Windows Server 2003 Web Edition. The implementation guide is says it is a supported OS, I am planning on attaching WS03 Web Edition to an SBS 2003 server. I know that the supported configuration has everything on the single SBS box, but I would much rather put some things on other boxes. I am also planning on putting SQL Server on its own box as well. Any comments on this configuration? thanks, Geoff Hi, Beware that SQL Server cannot be installed on a Web Server edition ! -- Olivier Schmitt Microsoft Business Solutions Support Ce message est fourni...

Validating two fields
I am trying to create a database in which some of the fields should be mandatory only under certain conditions. For example: In my "Type of Injury" column, I want the user to be required to enter a value in this column, only if the value in the "Type of Document" column is "Nursing Report". Is this possible? I am only just beginning to teach myself Access, so please bear with me. Thank you. Put a validation rule on the *table* (not field.) 2nd example under the the Validation Rules for Tables section here: http://allenbrowne.com/Validati...

Template driver code for a new USB Touchscreen XP driver
We want to develop a new Touchscreen driver having a USB interface for Windows XP. Which driver template will be the most suitable to start the development ? make your device a HID and then you not have to write a driver at all. d -- This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. "sanju_emb" <sanju_emb@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:E8AAAA05-B6EA-44A7-B9E8-20E5F0A5860C@microsoft.com... > We want to develop a new Touchscreen driver having a USB interface for > Windows XP. Which driver te...

.xls changes sizes from one computer to another
An excel worksheet that we use prints out nicely on one computer; however, when another user accesses it off of the network and does a print preview, the columns of the worksheet squash together in the middle of the worksheet into and only by reducing the view by 99% is the second user able to print correctly. I don't know the circumstances regarding this but I am told this is the way it has always been. Any input would be greatly appreciated. ...

Advanced Find should let me search records between two dates
When searching the system for records, many times I need to search for records that came in between two dates. For instance, I would like to be able to pull all records input in CRM between March 1 and March 15. In 3.0 you can only query specific dates like "Last X days," "Last X Months," "On," "On or After," etc., but you cannot search the date fields between two dates. The functionality was available in 1.2 but is not available in 3.0. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the...

backup exch from remote machine: which is best plan
I have a small domain with 2 servers: 1) PDC and file server with tape backup 2) Exchange server, no tape device Which is the best plan to ensure a safe backup of exchange? a) Install exchange admin tools on the PDC and include information store in the tape backup b) Get the exchange server to backup to a file, and then get the PDC to include that file when it does its tape backup. c) Some other plan I haven't thought of yet Regards roga On Sat, 14 Jan 2006 11:35:28 -0000, "roga" <{news2005}REMOVE_THIS_UPPERCASE_2_REPLY@roga.co.uk> wrote: >I...

can one cell contain more than one independent number
A cell can contain several numbers, separated by space characters or line breaks (Alt+Enter). However, if you want to perform calculations on the numbers, it's best to keep them in separate cells. John K wrote: -- Debra Dalgleish Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List http://www.contextures.com/tiptech.html there's also the option a using matrix formula (list of data) for example you may enter ={1;2;3} in a single cell or selection 'and validate wih CTRL+SHIFT+ENTER but the manipulation of this kinda of formula need to read more about it... ...

vbscript insert into access 2003 database with two different table
I am trying to insert data collected by WMI. Here is the script On Error Resume Next Const HKEY_CURRENT_USER = &H80000001 Const HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE = &H80000002 Const ForReading = 1 'Create FSO Set objFSO = CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject") 'Create an environment for the script to work Set wshshell = WScript.CreateObject("WScript.Shell") 'Connection to the database Set cnn = CreateObject("ADODB.Connection") 'Connection to a Recordset Set objRecordSet = CreateObject("ADODB.Recordset") 'Opens the Database ...

Two lines and pne column
I am trying to modify one of the custom charts to show two line and one column rather than two columns and one line. can anyone help. Ian - Forget the custom type. Make a chart with all three series as lines, select the one series, choose Chart Type from the Chart menu, and select the Column style you want. Voila, your first custom combination chart. There's more about Combination Charts on my web site: http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/ComboCharts.html - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Peltier Technical Services Tutorials and Custom Solutions http://PeltierTech....

SBS2008 Installation/configuration
I have purchased SBS2008 Premium. I was told that I needed to purchase a Windows 2008R2 Server license for the second server? I thought SBS2008 premium had licenses for both SBS2008 and Windows 2008 server and that I just need additional user/device CALS. Also, Can I install SBS2008 AND Windows Server 2008 with Hyper-V Viitualization all on the SBS2008 box, or does it have to be installed on separate servers? Hi David, You don't need another server license. You can install WS2k8 on the hardware, enable the hyper-v role, and then install SBS08 as a virtual machine...

One column into three
We have a table with about 40 columns and 120 Rows and we need to split each column into 3 columns only for certain rows - I'm guessing that we can't spilt a column only for certain rows as this would mess-up the entire column/row naming convention - so is there a way to automate the spliting of a column into 3 rows (i.e column A becomes A,B & C) and then merging each trio of cells (i.e. A1, B1, & C1) into one cell in the row and retaining the data that was in A1 and moving the data that was in B1 into D1 - for all 120 rows and then repeating the process for each colum...

how do i subtract one date from another and get an age in years
i am trying to subtract a date of birth from today's date and get an age in years. Can anyone help me? http://www.cpearson.com/excel/datedif.htm -- Kind Regards, Niek Otten Microsoft MVP - Excel "ucastores" <ucastores@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:FE331F27-C314-42D4-A390-9DA97E0E493D@microsoft.com... >i am trying to subtract a date of birth from today's date and get an age in > years. Can anyone help me? > Hi see: http://www.cpearson.com/excel/datedif.htm#Age -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "ucastores" &l...

Combine different checkbooks information into one safe pay file
Client has two checkbooks with the same account number. Both checkbooks are included in one upload. In the upload file, a header record is created for each checkbook and the client has to manually delete the second header. The first header is required by the bank; is there a way to suppress the creation of the second header so the client doesn't have to manually edit each upload to remove it? ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in...

Wpf tooltip exist Direct3d memleak in native code in xp and vista os
<1>use the D3D control panel, enable the debug DLL and maximum validation,for D3D control panel ,you need to install the directx sdk. <2>Start up the debug monitor (<MSVC install directory>\Common7\Tools \Bin\winnt\Dbmon.Exe). <3>If you use the tooltip in native code,then run the program,show the tooltip,then exit the program, the Dbmon.exe will report serious direct3d9 memleak in xp and vista os.but If I use the wpf tooltip in c#,it is no problem. I do not know why? The following is my code fragment of mfc project void CFntClrDialogDlg::OnClick() { if((ToolTip...