Best way to reset archive bit in all files

The Backup My PC 5 does not reset the archive bits when performing a
Disaster Recovery backup. Thereafter to do incremental backups the archive
bit needs to be reset. Including Hidden and System bits.

Does anyone know a good way to do this?

Thanks,

Bill Snow

0
Bill
2/17/2010 7:31:38 PM
win98.gen_discussion 237 articles. 0 followers. Follow

On Feb 17, 11:31=A0am, "Bill Snow" <b.sn...@verizon.net> wrote:
> The Backup My PC 5 does not reset the archive bits when performing a
> Disaster Recovery backup. Thereafter to do incremental backups the archiv=
> bit needs to be reset. Including Hidden and System bits.
>
> Does anyone know a good way to do this?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Bill Snow

use DOS window and attrib command?

Displays or changes file attributes.

ATTRIB [+R | -R] [+A | -A] [+S | -S] [+H | -H] [[drive:]
[path]filename] [/S]

  +   Sets an attribute.
  -   Clears an attribute.
  R   Read-only file attribute.
  A   Archive file attribute.
  S   System file attribute.
  H   Hidden file attribute.
  /S  Processes files in all directories in the specified path.

Make it a batch file and put it on your desktop
0
Robert
2/17/2010 8:18:59 PM
"Robert Macy" <macy@california.com> wrote in message
On Feb 17, 11:31 am, "Bill Snow" <b.sn...@verizon.net> wrote:
> The Backup My PC 5 does not reset the archive bits when performing a
> Disaster Recovery backup. Thereafter to do incremental backups the archive
> bit needs to be reset. Including Hidden and System bits.
>
> Does anyone know a good way to do this?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Bill Snow

use DOS window and attrib command?

Displays or changes file attributes.

ATTRIB [+R | -R] [+A | -A] [+S | -S] [+H | -H] [[drive:]
[path]filename] [/S]

  +   Sets an attribute.
  -   Clears an attribute.
  R   Read-only file attribute.
  A   Archive file attribute.
  S   System file attribute.
  H   Hidden file attribute.
  /S  Processes files in all directories in the specified path.

Make it a batch file and put it on your desktop

Thank you Robert,

I should have explained better where my problem was. I have done the above
and it reset all except the Hidden and System files. What I need is a way to
do all those. As best I can tell the H would have to unset then the A unset
and then H reset, but only if it was previously set. Could not find any
information on the exact way to concatinate these three actions in a batch
file. Like wise for the System flag.

0
Bill
2/17/2010 10:13:18 PM
On 2/17/2010 17:13, Bill-Snow wrote:
> "Robert Macy"<macy@california.com>  wrote in message
> On Feb 17, 11:31 am, "Bill Snow"<b.sn...@verizon.net>  wrote:
>> The Backup My PC 5 does not reset the archive bits when performing a
>> Disaster Recovery backup. Thereafter to do incremental backups the archive
>> bit needs to be reset. Including Hidden and System bits.
>>
>> Does anyone know a good way to do this?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Bill Snow
>
> use DOS window and attrib command?
>
> Displays or changes file attributes.
>
> ATTRIB [+R | -R] [+A | -A] [+S | -S] [+H | -H] [[drive:]
> [path]filename] [/S]
>
>    +   Sets an attribute.
>    -   Clears an attribute.
>    R   Read-only file attribute.
>    A   Archive file attribute.
>    S   System file attribute.
>    H   Hidden file attribute.
>    /S  Processes files in all directories in the specified path.
>

> Make it a batch file and put it on your desktop
>
> Thank you Robert,
>
> I should have explained better where my problem was. I have done the above
> and it reset all except the Hidden and System files. What I need is a way to
> do all those. As best I can tell the H would have to unset then the A unset
> and then H reset, but only if it was previously set. Could not find any
> information on the exact way to concatinate these three actions in a batch
> file. Like wise for the System flag.

A good rule of thumb, so that you don't have to remember the logic, is
to look at the command line help options (above) and go forward through
the list to +set and backwards to -clear.

attrib  +r  +a  +s  +h  foo.txt
attrib  -h  -s  -a  -r  foo.txt

Remove or add +/- switches to suit your needs.

Remembering a previously set (then cleared attribute) is really beyond
the scope of a command batch script.

If the program you're using can't do incremental backups, you might be
better off finding something else. I would only use an incremental
*file backup* strategy for user files anyway. Image or clone the drive
to take care of the system.

0
Bill
2/18/2010 12:35:58 AM
Bill-Snow wrote:
> "Robert Macy" <macy@california.com> wrote in message

> On Feb 17, 11:31 am, "Bill Snow" <b.sn...@verizon.net> wrote:
>> The Backup My PC 5 does not reset the archive bits when performing a
>> Disaster Recovery backup. Thereafter to do incremental backups the
>> archive bit needs to be reset. Including Hidden and System bits.
>>
>> Does anyone know a good way to do this?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Bill Snow
>
> use DOS window and attrib command?
>
> Displays or changes file attributes.
>
> ATTRIB [+R | -R] [+A | -A] [+S | -S] [+H | -H] [[drive:]
> [path]filename] [/S]
>
>   +   Sets an attribute.
>   -   Clears an attribute.
>   R   Read-only file attribute.
>   A   Archive file attribute.
>   S   System file attribute.
>   H   Hidden file attribute.
>   /S  Processes files in all directories in the specified path.
>

> Make it a batch file and put it on your desktop
>
> Thank you Robert,
>
> I should have explained better where my problem was. I have done the
> above and it reset all except the Hidden and System files. What I
> need is a way to do all those. As best I can tell the H would have to
> unset then the A unset and then H reset, but only if it was
> previously set. Could not find any information on the exact way to
> concatinate these three actions in a batch file. Like wise for the
> System flag.

4DOS seems to have fixed the ATTRIB command not to care about
hidden/system when setting the archive bit...

C:\>attrib detlog.txt
_HSA_  C:\DETLOG.TXT

C:\>attrib detlog.txt  -a
_HSA_ -> _HS__  C:\DETLOG.TXT

C:\>attrib detlog.txt  +a
_HS__ -> _HSA_  C:\DETLOG.TXT

It's improved many of the regular DOS commands. I've got...

4DOS 7.50   (Win98) DOS 7.10
Copyright 1988-2004  Rex Conn & JP Software Inc.  All Rights Reserved

On mm's suggestion, it was a free download at...
http://www.jpsoft.com/
....However, I can't find it there anymore.

--
Thanks or Good Luck,
There may be humor in this post, and,

0
PCR
2/18/2010 1:03:33 AM
On Feb 17, 2:13=A0pm, "Bill-Snow" <b.sn...@verizon.net> wrote:
> "Robert Macy" <m...@california.com> wrote in message

> On Feb 17, 11:31 am, "Bill Snow" <b.sn...@verizon.net> wrote:
>
> > The Backup My PC 5 does not reset the archive bits when performing a
> > Disaster Recovery backup. Thereafter to do incremental backups the arch=
ive
> > bit needs to be reset. Including Hidden and System bits.
>
> > Does anyone know a good way to do this?
>
> > Thanks,
>
> > Bill Snow
>
> use DOS window and attrib command?
>
> Displays or changes file attributes.
>
> ATTRIB [+R | -R] [+A | -A] [+S | -S] [+H | -H] [[drive:]
> [path]filename] [/S]
>
> =A0 + =A0 Sets an attribute.
> =A0 - =A0 Clears an attribute.
> =A0 R =A0 Read-only file attribute.
> =A0 A =A0 Archive file attribute.
> =A0 S =A0 System file attribute.
> =A0 H =A0 Hidden file attribute.
> =A0 /S =A0Processes files in all directories in the specified path.
>
> Make it a batch file and put it on your desktop
>
> Thank you Robert,
>
> I should have explained better where my problem was. I have done the abov=
> and it reset all except the Hidden and System files. What I need is a way=
> do all those. As best I can tell the H would have to unset then the A uns=
et
> and then H reset, but only if it was previously set. Could not find any
> information on the exact way to concatinate these three actions in a batc=
> file. Like wise for the System flag.

Use the 'IF' comands,

0
Robert
2/18/2010 3:10:22 AM
On Wed, 17 Feb 2010 20:03:33 -0500, "PCR" <pcrrcp@netzero.net> wrote:

>Bill-Snow wrote:
>> "Robert Macy" <macy@california.com> wrote in message

>> On Feb 17, 11:31 am, "Bill Snow" <b.sn...@verizon.net> wrote:
>>> The Backup My PC 5 does not reset the archive bits when performing a
>>> Disaster Recovery backup. Thereafter to do incremental backups the
>>> archive bit needs to be reset. Including Hidden and System bits.
>>>
>>> Does anyone know a good way to do this?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>> Bill Snow
>>
>> use DOS window and attrib command?
>>
>> Displays or changes file attributes.
>>
>> ATTRIB [+R | -R] [+A | -A] [+S | -S] [+H | -H] [[drive:]
>> [path]filename] [/S]
>>
>>   +   Sets an attribute.
>>   -   Clears an attribute.
>>   R   Read-only file attribute.
>>   A   Archive file attribute.
>>   S   System file attribute.
>>   H   Hidden file attribute.
>>   /S  Processes files in all directories in the specified path.
>>

>> Make it a batch file and put it on your desktop
>>
>> Thank you Robert,
>>
>> I should have explained better where my problem was. I have done the
>> above and it reset all except the Hidden and System files. What I
>> need is a way to do all those. As best I can tell the H would have to
>> unset then the A unset and then H reset, but only if it was
>> previously set. Could not find any information on the exact way to
>> concatinate these three actions in a batch file. Like wise for the
>> System flag.
>
>4DOS seems to have fixed the ATTRIB command not to care about
>hidden/system when setting the archive bit...
>
>C:\>attrib detlog.txt
>_HSA_  C:\DETLOG.TXT
>
>C:\>attrib detlog.txt  -a
>_HSA_ -> _HS__  C:\DETLOG.TXT
>
>C:\>attrib detlog.txt  +a
>_HS__ -> _HSA_  C:\DETLOG.TXT
>
>It's improved many of the regular DOS commands. I've got...
>
>4DOS 7.50   (Win98) DOS 7.10
>Copyright 1988-2004  Rex Conn & JP Software Inc.  All Rights Reserved
>
>On mm's suggestion, it was a free download at...
>http://www.jpsoft.com/
>...However, I can't find it there anymore.

You rang?

Well, for winXP it's at that address and it's called TCC LE.

But I can't remember what it is called for win98.

While I'm looking I'll tell you that it also has the ability iirc to
go through all the files finding only the hidden and system files,
since iiuc the others have had their bit reset already.

Well, I have the file I dl'd. It's called 4DOS750.exe and it's
1,282,291 bytes.  I could email it to you.  I guess that's pretty long
to email.  I could ftp it to you had a webspace where I could do that.

But it appears to be here too
http://freesoft.freedos.pri.ee/FreeSoft/os.htm  which link goes
straight to the jpsoft site, so it's good.

And maybe one of these two pages, which talk about it but I can't find
the link http://siteadvisor.es/sites/jpsoft.com/downloads/14069298/
http://siteadvisor.es/sites/jpsoft.com    Use the first one.

And be sure to learn to use the LIST command.  It's great.  Far far
faster if you just want to look at a file or group of files and don't
want to edit it.
0
mm
2/20/2010 6:28:05 AM
"Bill Snow" <b.snow2@verizon.net> wrote in message

> The Backup My PC 5 does not reset the archive bits when performing a
> Disaster Recovery backup. Thereafter to do incremental backups the archive
> bit needs to be reset. Including Hidden and System bits.
> Does anyone know a good way to do this?

Presumably BS needs to do this solely to make his backup
software do what he requires.   Possibly XXCOPY (free from
www.xxcopy.com ) may do all he wants without this extra
intermediate step.

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

0
Don
2/20/2010 4:00:40 PM
mm wrote:
> On Wed, 17 Feb 2010 20:03:33 -0500, "PCR" <pcrrcp@netzero.net> wrote:
>
>>Bill-Snow wrote:
>>> "Robert Macy" <macy@california.com> wrote in message

>>> use DOS window and attrib command?
>>>
>>> Displays or changes file attributes.
>>>
>>> ATTRIB [+R | -R] [+A | -A] [+S | -S] [+H | -H] [[drive:]
>>> [path]filename] [/S]
>>>
>>>   +   Sets an attribute.
>>>   -   Clears an attribute.
>>>   R   Read-only file attribute.
>>>   A   Archive file attribute.
>>>   S   System file attribute.
>>>   H   Hidden file attribute.
>>>   /S  Processes files in all directories in the specified path.
>>>

>>> Make it a batch file and put it on your desktop
>>>
>>> Thank you Robert,
>>>
>>> I should have explained better where my problem was. I have done the
>>> above and it reset all except the Hidden and System files. What I
>>> need is a way to do all those. As best I can tell the H would have
>>> to unset then the A unset and then H reset, but only if it was
>>> previously set. Could not find any information on the exact way to
>>> concatinate these three actions in a batch file. Like wise for the
>>> System flag.
>>
>>4DOS seems to have fixed the ATTRIB command not to care about
>>hidden/system when setting the archive bit...
>>
>>C:\>attrib detlog.txt
>>_HSA_  C:\DETLOG.TXT
>>
>>C:\>attrib detlog.txt  -a
>>_HSA_ -> _HS__  C:\DETLOG.TXT
>>
>>C:\>attrib detlog.txt  +a
>>_HS__ -> _HSA_  C:\DETLOG.TXT
>>
>>It's improved many of the regular DOS commands. I've got...
>>
>>4DOS 7.50   (Win98) DOS 7.10
>>Copyright 1988-2004  Rex Conn & JP Software Inc.  All Rights Reserved
>>
>>On mm's suggestion, it was a free download at...
>>http://www.jpsoft.com/
>>...However, I can't find it there anymore.
>
> You rang?

Uh-huh.

> Well, for winXP it's at that address and it's called TCC LE.
>
> But I can't remember what it is called for win98.

Well, the file is called 4DOS750.exe, just as you say below & the same
size you say.

> While I'm looking I'll tell you that it also has the ability iirc to
> go through all the files finding only the hidden and system files,
> since iiuc the others have had their bit reset already.

It has lots & lots of improvements over Windows DOS & abilities. It's
COPY likely has all the abilities of Phillipson's XXCOPY! Thanks for the
recommendation back then, mm. For instance, it has /C & /U options...

........Quote 4DOS documantation.....................
/C:  (Changed files)    Copy files only if the destination file
     exists and is older than the source (see also /U).  This option
     is useful for updating the files in one directory from those in
     another without copying any newly created files.  (Before
     using /C in a network environment be sure to read the note
      under /U.)

/U:  (Update)    Copy each source file only if it is newer than a
     matching destination file or if a matching destination file does
     not exist (see also /C).  This option is useful for keeping one
     directory matched with another with a minimum of copying.

     The time comparisons used with /U may not always work reliably
     across a network, due to differences in time zone and in the file
     time storage method between the local and remote systems.  Be sure
     to do some non-destructive testing (e.g. with /N) before depending
     on this option to yield the results you want in a network
     environment.
...........EOQ 4DOS documentation.................

> Well, I have the file I dl'd. It's called 4DOS750.exe and it's
> 1,282,291 bytes.  I could email it to you.  I guess that's pretty long
> to email.  I could ftp it to you had a webspace where I could do that.

No -- I've got it! I just can't spot it there anymore for Snow to take.
Yea, that's the name & the size.

> But it appears to be here too
> http://freesoft.freedos.pri.ee/FreeSoft/os.htm  which link goes
> straight to the jpsoft site, so it's good.

All right. I see it there. Good. I recommend it! Looks like a good site
worthy of exploration!

> And maybe one of these two pages, which talk about it but I can't find
> the link http://siteadvisor.es/sites/jpsoft.com/downloads/14069298/
> http://siteadvisor.es/sites/jpsoft.com    Use the first one.
>
> And be sure to learn to use the LIST command.  It's great.  Far far
> faster if you just want to look at a file or group of files and don't
> want to edit it.

Uh-huh. That's one of the many big improvements!

--
Thanks or Good Luck,
There may be humor in this post, and,
Naturally, you will not sue,
Should things get worse after this,
PCR
pcrrcp@netzero.net

0
PCR
2/21/2010 12:37:06 AM
> 4DOS seems to have fixed the ATTRIB command not to care about
> hidden/system when setting the archive bit...

   bingo,, that is the answer to his prob'.

> ...However, I can't find it there anymore.

ask nicely, seek, and you will find.

0
crane
3/5/2010 1:27:19 PM
crane wrote:
>> 4DOS seems to have fixed the ATTRIB command not to care about
>> hidden/system when setting the archive bit...
>
>    bingo,, that is the answer to his prob'.

Glad to have been of assistance, whether to Snow or to you.

>> ...However, I can't find it there anymore.
>

> ask nicely, seek, and you will find.

Looks like it's been rediscovered by another in this thread. Thanks,
anyway.

--
Thanks or Good Luck,
There may be humor in this post, and,
Naturally, you will not sue,
Should things get worse after this,
PCR
pcrrcp@netzero.net

0
PCR

Here is fix for Windows file problems

Fax Icon on my File menu and toolbar

How can I get 32-bit Integers?

Outlook receiving zip files

unable to read file #7

SBS 2003 moving of users files

Importing AOL Email File Cabinet

Exporting contacts in a csv file

Publisher can not save file

Excel 2007 PC damages Mac Excel 2008 Files

Outlook 2003 Archiving
Hi, All I am novice in VBA Outlook programming. I need collect all messages in some Outlook folder (for example, Junk E-mails, Spam, etc.) and add them to archive. I try to use "Archive..." command from File menu, but I want to use it from VBA macro. I can not find any "Archive" keyword in MS Outlook help. Could somebody help me? Andrey Kuzmin Why don't you use the Archive feature in Outlook if you cannot code it yourself? There's no Archive function, the function you'd need is called Move. -- Best regards Michael Bauer - MVP Outlook ...

Continuing problmes with chkdsk and PST file
My PST file is apparently corrupted, with "Data error, cyclic redundancy check" upon starting Outlook. As per earlier advice, i ran chkdsk /r. But, chkdsk hangs. The % done on phase 4, file data check, was moving along at 1% per every 1 to 5 minutes. Then, at exactly 50%, it just stopped moving. I left it for a few hours, but no further progress (so i interrupted it). The disk light was on continually, but no progress in % complete. Also, if scanpst.exe is run, windows crashes (blue screen). So, are there any further suggestions? Is there any disk utility more robust t...

Numbering in Book Files
I am creating a tech manual where each chapter is its own file. I have created an outline numbered list and saved the list in a template that I then use to create the new chapters. However, I am finding that when I go into a new chapter that the outline numbering does not pick up on the chapter (Heading 1) number. For example: Chapter 1: Heading 1 style 1.1: Heading 2 style 1.1.1: Heading 3 style, etc. But when I start my next chapter, when I update the chapter number to start at 2, I get this: Chapter 2: Heading 1 style 1.1: Heading 2 style 1.1.1: Heading 3 style, etc. ...

Restoring Outlook Files
hi, I need to move the actual inbox, etc. from one hard drive to another. Which files do I look for? I had Outlook configured as an IMAP client. I keep looking for a master "inbox" or "mailbox" file, but am unable to find it. thanks for the help! rt brown Look here for all the information you need on backup and restoration of Outlook data: http://www.slipstick.com/config/backup.htm -- Jocelyn Fiorello MVP - Outlook *** Messages sent to my e-mail address will NOT be answered -- please reply only to the newsgroup to preserve the message thread. *** In news:02b50...

Outlook 2000 slow to attach files
I am running Outlook 2000 with XP, and when I go to attach a file on the network, it is extremely slow. However, when I go to the same file through Windows Explorer, it is very quick. Does anyone know what this problem might be or how to fix it? ...

problem opening up program/file

"Freeze panes" settings lost after opening file in two windows
I'm using Excel 2003. I've got a big Excel file with multiple tabs. Many of them use "freeze panes" to keep headings in place. I needed to flip back and forth between multiple tabs, so I opened the file in a second windows. Now, when I save it, all the "freeze pane" settings are lost. Any suggestions? Thanks. That Freeze panes setting is assocated with a window. Maybe you're not looking at the correct window or maybe you closed the window that had freeze panes applied. I'd try: Window|Arrange|horizontal to see if you still have multiple windows assoc...