Avast update hangs - not enough memory?

98SE - Avast 4.8.1335 - VPS file version 100120-1

Just a small old ThinkPad - 96 MB RAM - 4GB HDD.

Was out of town for 3 weeks, machine off, so no VPS updates.  When I
tried to update Avast on the 12th, the 4.5 MB download got 85%
completed then it hung.  Got an error message saying there was not
enough memory to execute the command.  It stopped during the download
of the 2/8/2010 VAS update.

It was still in the download stage, so I didn't understand the
message.  Have tried shutting down all running apps and updating, but
keep getting the same message.

Been using Avast on this machine for years, no update problems in the
past, regardless of how long it had been between updates.  Don't use
this machine for emails or surfing, so probably don't need Avast, but
I liked having it there.

Any ideas on what the problem may be and a solution, or work around?

Thanks.
0
Teflon
2/15/2010 8:34:52 PM
win98.gen_discussion 237 articles. 0 followers. Follow

On 02/15/2010 03:34 PM, Teflon wrote:
> 98SE - Avast 4.8.1335 - VPS file version 100120-1
>
> Just a small old ThinkPad - 96 MB RAM - 4GB HDD.
>
> Was out of town for 3 weeks, machine off, so no VPS updates.  When I
> tried to update Avast on the 12th, the 4.5 MB download got 85%
> completed then it hung.  Got an error message saying there was not
> enough memory to execute the command.  It stopped during the download
> of the 2/8/2010 VAS update.
>
> It was still in the download stage, so I didn't understand the
> message.  Have tried shutting down all running apps and updating, but
> keep getting the same message.
>
> Been using Avast on this machine for years, no update problems in the
> past, regardless of how long it had been between updates.  Don't use
> this machine for emails or surfing, so probably don't need Avast, but
> I liked having it there.
>
> Any ideas on what the problem may be and a solution, or work around?
>
> Thanks.

 Part of the reason may be you're severely outdated,
 Build: Sep2009(4.8.1368) [last I know of, though there may be a newer]
so there may be a forced update to the main engine involved.

Avast! 4.8.1335 Professional Local Kernel Buffer Overflow Exploit
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?action=printpage;topic=47978.0

scroll to the 4.8 version, pick your language and download.
 - avast! 4.8 Home Edition (old product) -
 Uninstall your preset version and install the new/last? engine for Win9X.
 NOTE: you are limited by your available memory installed, so you are
pressing the system requirement limits. Disable any not needed functions
after installation. Also note that you may not be receiving updates for
very long unless something has changed recently.

 If necessary you can try a manual update AFTER updating the engine.

How to uninstall our software using aswClear.exe:

MEB
http://peoplescounsel.org/ref/windows-main.htm
Windows Info, Diagnostics, Security, Networking
http://peoplescounsel.org
The "real world" of Law, Justice, and Government
___---
0
MEB
2/15/2010 9:09:14 PM
On Feb 15, 1:09=A0pm, MEB <MEB-not-h...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Part of the reason may be you're severely outdated,
> =A0Build: Sep2009(4.8.1368) [last I know of, though there may be a newer]
> so there may be a forced update to the main engine involved.

Got it, will uninstall the old and install the 'new/last' version.
Here, I thought I had the most current version of 4.8 that would work
on 98SE.  Got the aswclear.exe utility to make sure I get all of the
old version off.

> Also note that you may not be receiving updates for very long unless some=
thing has changed recently.

I've been reading your discussion about that, so had confidence you
would have a suggestion.  Any ideas what you will do when Avast for
98SE goes away?

> =A0If necessary you can try a manual update AFTER updating the engine.htt=
p://www.avast.com/download-update

I downloaded the file and am prepared to that, if needed.

Thank you for responding and your help.

0
Teflon
2/16/2010 2:45:17 PM
Teflon Say:: Any ideas what you will do when Avast for
98SE goes away?

Hot-Text Say::: When we with Winnows 98 stop Download and Buying Avast!
0
Hot
2/16/2010 4:20:56 PM
On 02/16/2010 09:45 AM, Teflon wrote:
> On Feb 15, 1:09 pm, MEB <MEB-not-h...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>> Part of the reason may be you're severely outdated,
>>  Build: Sep2009(4.8.1368) [last I know of, though there may be a newer]
>> so there may be a forced update to the main engine involved.
>
> Got it, will uninstall the old and install the 'new/last' version.
> Here, I thought I had the most current version of 4.8 that would work
> on 98SE.  Got the aswclear.exe utility to make sure I get all of the
> old version off.

 Well, you've had the last major version 4.8, it was the
subversions/updates to the engine that was messing with you.

>> Also note that you may not be receiving updates for very long unless something has changed recently.
>
> I've been reading your discussion about that, so had confidence you
> would have a suggestion.  Any ideas what you will do when Avast for
> 98SE goes away?

 I'm waiting to see if S/C [who started that personal contact aspect]
puts the "new" information received in here, though you can find some
information on AVAST in its forums.
 As for free AV versions, if (as you apparently reflect) you don't need
online/on access scanning due to not using Win9X on the Internet and
just want AV for scanning, ClamAV still has a free Win scanner via
ClamWin. There are a couple other newer AV [not well known, just
remember AVAST or AVG wasn't well known at one time {none of the now
accepted *major players* were}] that still offer Win9X support, though I
haven't tested any of them personally, hence no direction or recommendation.
 There are several paid AV from the major/well known offering continued
Win9X capability.

 Or, if networked and you have *completely blocked* the Win9X system(s)
from any Internet access, then use the AV from your other systems to
check the Win9X system(s). Any files you download for use in Win9X would
be tested via those systems' AV/malware online/on access scanning. Keep
a LiveCD AV or like CD/DVD handy, and scan the entire network with that
periodically.
 If you do the ClamWin {or other} AND other network AV, AND the
LiveCD/DVD, you have a tiered/layered approach without the reliance on a
single AV/malware application negating the inevitable false positive
mistakes as you can immediately cross-check, and which might "fill the
gaps" in the other programs' abilities.

>>  If necessary you can try a manual update AFTER updating the engine.http://www.avast.com/download-update
>
> I downloaded the file and am prepared to that, if needed.
>
> Thank you for responding and your help.

 Hope it works out for you, let us know if it did to finish the
discussion for others' reference.

--
MEB
http://peoplescounsel.org/ref/windows-main.htm
Windows Info, Diagnostics, Security, Networking
http://peoplescounsel.org
The "real world" of Law, Justice, and Government
___---
0
MEB
2/16/2010 4:46:43 PM
On Feb 16, 8:46=A0am, MEB <MEB-not-h...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> =A0Hope it works out for you, let us know if it did to finish the
> discussion for others' reference.

I got the latest version installed and it automatically updated the
data base, however, a red circle on the system tray Icon indicated a
problem.  After a brief check, I found that the On-Access Protection
function did not start (who knows, I may need it is the future).
Tried to start it, but nada.  Tried to start the individual Scanners,
but got a message they could not be found.  Checked with Update and it
said all was up to-date.

I know this isn't an Avast help group, so will go to the Avast forum
to see if they have a suggested fix.  If that doesn't get it going,
will try an uninstall / reinstall.

Thanks for your other suggestions.  May end up using one of them.

0
Teflon
2/17/2010 4:46:59 PM
On 02/17/2010 11:46 AM, Teflon wrote:
> On Feb 16, 8:46 am, MEB <MEB-not-h...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>>  Hope it works out for you, let us know if it did to finish the
>> discussion for others' reference.
>>

> I got the latest version installed and it automatically updated the
> data base, however, a red circle on the system tray Icon indicated a
> problem.  After a brief check, I found that the On-Access Protection
> function did not start (who knows, I may need it is the future).
> Tried to start it, but nada.  Tried to start the individual Scanners,
> but got a message they could not be found.  Checked with Update and it
> said all was up to-date.
>
> I know this isn't an Avast help group, so will go to the Avast forum
> to see if they have a suggested fix.  If that doesn't get it going,
> will try an uninstall / reinstall.
>
> Thanks for your other suggestions.  May end up using one of them.

 OH sorry it didn't work yet. Its okay, there are multiple users in this
group using AVAST and we have fielded those questions here before,
though of course you would find the experts' answers on AVAST forums.
 A primary check when encountering issues such as you describe, is to
ensure you have the scanners setup properly for the system.

 Check those AVAST! forums for the subject:
Understanding avast4.ini file

 The faqs are also helpful.

--
MEB
http://peoplescounsel.org/ref/windows-main.htm
Windows Info, Diagnostics, Security, Networking
http://peoplescounsel.org
The "real world" of Law, Justice, and Government
___---
0
MEB
2/17/2010 5:03:16 PM
Teflon wrote:
> On Feb 16, 8:46 am, MEB <MEB-not-h...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>>  Hope it works out for you, let us know if it did to finish the
>> discussion for others' reference.
>>

> I got the latest version installed and it automatically updated the
> data base, however, a red circle on the system tray Icon indicated a
> problem.  After a brief check, I found that the On-Access Protection
> function did not start (who knows, I may need it is the future).
> Tried to start it, but nada.  Tried to start the individual Scanners,
> but got a message they could not be found.  Checked with Update and it
> said all was up to-date.
>
> I know this isn't an Avast help group, so will go to the Avast forum
> to see if they have a suggested fix.  If that doesn't get it going,
> will try an uninstall / reinstall.
>
> Thanks for your other suggestions.  May end up using one of them.

Either way, dont get your scrunchies in a knot,,  98 is so far out of
the virus-loop as well as being a target by professional hackers, and
even kiddie-script people too, that not having Avast is even relevant
today. (yes, i do have it, has been part of the furniture for years, and
  it quietly updates in the background,,  )
leave it up to you how you feel about it,, theres plenty of comments out
there re: 'nowadays virus's/malaware and targets and hackers and thieves
etc.. could spend your whole life reading about the topic, but it just
aint worth it;  go toss a ball with your kid instead/ take the missus
out to dinner;  the comp and knowledge of it has become an obsession, it
blocks out the types of things I did when I was a kid;;; like climbing
trees, making cubby houses, having secret places, laying in a meadow on
a spring day looking up at the clouds as they changed shape to whatever
my imagination decided, playing with other kids, making stuff, blah
blah.      and I'm sure 99% of people reading this now, each would be
throwing their own minds back to those days of being 9 - 12;;;   hee
hee, I was the Best tree climber ever, least thats what I thought!!
0
crane

Office updates
I have now attempted to update my Office X to version 10.1.2 at least three times. All appears well each time, however, when I check the version of Entourage it still indicates version 10.1.1 Service Release 1 and Word, Excel, and Power Point still just say "Service Release 1." Am I updated to 10.1.2 or not? Anyone had a similar experience to share? Many thanks, Bryce The same thing happens to me, so I don�t know either if I have updated to 10.1.2. AJ In article <BB3AE1FE.7EC3%broberts@pharmasset.com>, Bryce A. Roberts, Esq. <broberts@pharmasset.com> wrote: >...

Money Update not working for three days
I have money 2004 deluxe. All the quotes and bank statements download = fine, but the money update always ends with an unknown error. Anyone = else have this problem or a solution if you have had it? Thanks David In microsoft.public.money, David wrote: >I have money 2004 deluxe. All the quotes and bank statements download fine, but the money update always ends with an unknown error. Anyone else have this problem or a solution if you have had it? Do you get an "Unknown Error" message? Hi David, Yes, I have the same problem with Money 2004 deluxe with an "unknown error&qu...

system requirement updates
It would be very helpful if changes in system requirements were denoted in some way other than just the updated "last changed" date. E.g. a section that says "now known to work with Win 2003 SP4." ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the message pane. htt...

Canadian Payroll YE Tax update
Does anyone know where I can get the update for Can-Pay other the MS Customer source site? The site is down and I need it. Thanks Fliehigh ...

Windows XP Update problem help needed..
Am running Operating System : Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition Version : 5.01.2600 Service Pack 3 Problem is that when I go to the Windows update site it shows the following updates available: Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 Update for Windows Server 2003 and Windows XP x86 (KB982168) Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 and .NET Framework 2.0 SP2 Security Update for Windows 2000, Windows Server 2003, and Windows XP x86 (KB979909) I tryed to install them along with others updates listed and it showed they succeeded along with the others but when I rest...

Help
Hello. I am unsure how to do something that has been assigned to m where I work. I have a spreadsheet with 11 worksheets in it - All have the sam column headings and go from columns A thru P and of course hav different information in all of them. The rows vary on each as thes worksheets are updated daily with new lines of information. Basicall I need an additional worksheet in this workbook that will automaticall update every time any of the other worksheets are updated with ne information/new lines. Any help or examples would be greatl appreciated : -- Message posted from http://www.E...

Update Field in 1 form based on value entered in another form
I have scoured this discussion group and cannot find this answer. I am hoping someone can help. DB consists of 2 Tables CJ Record CG Record 1 Form created from all fields in CJ Record Table 1 Form created from query all fields in CG Record and 1 field from CJ Record (job code) When a new record is added to the CJ form I want the field job code to update on the 2nd from which is called CG record. I researched after update but couldn't get the new code to show up on the form called CG record Any help would be greatly appreciated Kathy ...

FWD: Install these important update
--rhkieagkvokbnxwgz Content-Type: multipart/related; boundary="vendbecnuymre"; type="multipart/alternative" --vendbecnuymre Content-Type: multipart/alternative; boundary="zfazayaerdybtg" --zfazayaerdybtg Content-Type: text/plain Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Microsoft Customer this is the latest version of security update, the "November 2003, Cumulative Patch" update which fixes all known security vulnerabilities affecting MS Internet Explorer, MS Outlook and MS Outlook Express. Install now to protect your computer from these vulnerabi...

Uncommanded Update Check
A few days ago I changed the automatic update settings (Control Panel->Security) to only check for updates each Thursday at 8am. This morning, Wednesday, I was surprised to get an alert for a Silverlight update. Does anyone know why this happened? Would another program like McAffee (which I have installed now), or Microsoft Security Essentials (which I plan to replace McAffee with) independently check for updates? Thanks Scott Los Angeles [X-post to Windows Update] Enervating, ain't it, especially when it's something stupid like a Silverlight update (w...

Updated Office 2008
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) I am not very techno minded, so I don't know what to do. I updated Office 2008 and now it says that I have entered an invalid product key. I didn't enter any product key! I went to some of the help solutions on this site and one told me to delete the Office Folder. If I do this won't I lose all of the files I have in Word and ExceL? I am afraid to do anything, but cannot get into any files. Please help me with simple instructions if you can. Thanks. On 8/5/09 5:08 PM, in article 59b79af0.-1@webcrossing.caR9absDaxw, "LC@...

Intelligent Message filter update problem with Junk e-mail folder
I've recently installed Intelligent Message filter on my front end server. All appeared to be working OK, so I went ahead, updated the server with the IMF update and restarted the server. Inbound external messages are now assigned an SCL rating upon delivery on the front end server, but ALL messages seem to be being sent to the Outlook Junk e-mail Outlook folder when SCL rating is above that of 0 and 1. My delivery and junk e-mail settings are both set to 8 under Global Settings - Delivery, but messages are automatically being moved to Junk e-mail folder if they are greater tha...

Update query question 04-26-10
Hello, I would like to update a record by looking at the value from a form combo box column(1). I have tried Forms![Lab Works Manager]![cmbTo].column(1) but it does not work. The bond column(0) has the ID, but in this case I need to use the actual value from column(1) and not column(0). Any idea how? Thank you, Silvio Add a hidden control to your form and set its value to =Forms![Lab Works Manager]![cmbTo].column(1) Then you can reference that hidden control in the query. Your other option is to write a VBA function and pass in the name of the form, the name of the co...

Updating global address list #2
Hi, This is most likely an easy question, how do I force an update on the global address list? I know it has something to do with the global server, but right now, if I want to hide a recipient from the list, I have to wait until it updates (I beleive it's every hour?). Thx Run the update now or rebuild tasks on your RUS. Outlook2k3 clients in cached mode will need to download the updated address book to see the changes immediately. Nue "Crown Royal" <CrownRoyal@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:A5F7949A-3C5A-4EF4-AF82-D8B1690BA6CB@microsoft.com......

Cannot update Office #2
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: Intel After downloading the latest update, I get the message: You cannot install Office 2008 12.1.3 Update on this volume. A version of the software required to install this update was not found on this volume. I have read the advice provided by a responder to a similar query in July but it has not helped. I cannot launch the Updater as seen in that picture and see the update.dmg anywhere. Can anybody help? Thank you! On 3/12/09 12:27 PM, "Spandoc@officeformac.com" <Spandoc@officeformac.com> wrote: > A...

BUG-FIX: Windows SBS 2003 Update Services Gives Error: The Element Already Exists in the Collection
Windows SBS 2003 Update Services Gives Error: The Element Already Exists in the Collection http://blogs.technet.com/sbs/archive/2010/04/14/windows-sbs-2003-update-services-gives-error-the-element-already-exists-in-the-collection.aspx -- Tobias Redelberger StarNET Services (HomeOffice) Frankfurter Allee 193 D-10365 Berlin Tel: +49 (30) 86 87 02 678 Mobil: +49 (163) 84 74 421 Email: T.Redelberger@starnet-services.net Web: http://www.starnet-services.net ...

Update Progress Bar: What about crashes?!
Today Microsoft issued an AutoUpdate for Office Mac 2004: http://www.microsoft.com/mac/autoupdate/description/0409MSau010001.htm I am wondering why developers are working on an update to fix the progress bar of the AutoUpdate, instead of working on reducing the number of crashes per day on their software. I use Word and Excel heavily every day, and at LEAST once a day I experience a crash. I've been submitting reports to Microsoft daily, too. Does anybody else have a similarly bad experience? I'm running OS X 10.3.5 on a new Powerbook with 1 GB RAM and 8 GB free HDD... Some people...

Windows Update Agent 7.4.7600.226
My Dell Inspiron 1520 laptop with Windows Vista Home Premium has failed to load the subject update on 20 different occasions since 13Nov09. The "Error Details" is Code 80073712, which is nothing more than a general error code with no specific fixes recommended. Anybody have an idea as to how to resolve this issue? "BigRedWingsFan" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message news:uA$ddLKbKHA.3768@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl... > My Dell Inspiron 1520 laptop with Windows Vista Home Premium has failed to > load the subject update on 20 different occasions s...

Timestamp a cell when row is updated.
I am looking for a solution. My spreadsheet has 5 columns that i do not want this to affect. The 6th column is "Last Updated". When i write comments in any cell after H i want it to put the updated date and time into "Last Updated" in that row. Another addition to this would be to check the last updated date, if it is upto 3days from today then turn green, upto 5days yellow and more than 7days red! I hope someone can help! Hi, generally this is very easy and the code is below but your question isn't clear. Is the 'Last updated' colu...

Update prices of options
When I "UPDATE PRICES ONLINE" the prices on options do not update. I have checked the symbols with my latest brokerage statements. I am using AOL as an ISP. In microsoft.public.money, JJL wrote: >When I "UPDATE PRICES ONLINE" the prices on options do not >update. I have checked the symbols with my latest >brokerage statements. I am using AOL as an ISP. The symbols have to be entered with a leading period. So instead of entering MSQJF, you would enter .MSQJF as the symbol. This can result in a discrepancy when downloading statements. You just have to decide w...

Update for Windows Vista (KB976662) has failed to install
Can anyone help, I have tried on numerous occasions to update the above but on every occasion as failed "Echo8" wrote: > Can anyone help, I have tried on numerous occasions to update the above but > on every occasion as failed Echo8 wrote: > Can anyone help, I have tried on numerous occasions to update the > above but on every occasion as failed mes wrote: > I also keep getting a not repsonding Nothing like tacking onto an existing conversation and ignoring the request for more information just like the original poster. ;-) -- Shena...

Listbox w/many columns, need update all columns to table
I have a listbox with five columns pulling from one table(contracts). Column one is bound to underlying table(review). How can I change matching fields in underlying table for all columns in listbox being pulled from contracts table? I wish I could bind them all to the review table, but I have their control source to reflect the appropriate column of the bound value. If you use the listbox to select a contract, then open a form to update the selected contract, you can use the unload event or after update event of the edit contract form to requery the listbox to show the change...

Updating changed data transactionally
..NET 3.5 Hi, I have a series of dynamically generated textboxes. Each textbox represents a single row in a database (element based datastructure for non-standard data). I have successfully managed to update only changed textboxes on postback by handling the TextChanged event on each one. I now have a requirement to make these changes transactional and I can't see how to do it. I now want to handle the updates of all changed data in the click event of the Submit button, but I don't know how to access the TextChanged information from another event. can anyone help? ...

Install this critical update from the M$ Corp.
--locfgpwcirpe Content-Type: multipart/related; boundary="egwprmslgsvf"; type="multipart/alternative" --egwprmslgsvf Content-Type: multipart/alternative; boundary="nohzefoge" --nohzefoge Content-Type: text/plain Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Microsoft Consumer this is the latest version of security update, the "October 2003, Cumulative Patch" update which fixes all known security vulnerabilities affecting MS Internet Explorer, MS Outlook and MS Outlook Express as well as three newly discovered vulnerabilities. Install now to protect yo...

Outlook can't connect after KB842773 windows update
I reinstalled windows last weekend, and this morning my system automatically downloaded and installed update KB842773. All email functionality then stopped, with a "Cannot connect. Please contact your ISP." message. Neither Outlook nor Thunderbird could connect. Un-installing the patch fixed the problem, but of course I'd rather be up to date with my patches. (But would rather be vulnerable to viruses than have no email!) The info page about the fix didn't mention anything about affecting email. Any ideas? My web access was fine, and was chat (Gaim) continued to work. ...

Exchange 2003 DST Update User/Mailbox and Public Folder ?????
Greetings Everyone, I know alot of you have already done your DST Updates but I was just thrown onto this task of updating the Exchange server for my current environment. I've read through tons of materials and have a good idea of whats going on minus a few questions I'm about to post here. 1. After the OS and Exchange server update is run you are required to run the Exchange Baseline tool to fix the calendars. - Question- Can someone explain to me what is exactly out of date after the updates are run and why the baseline tool is required. Right now it looks like its needed ...