visually rendering tabular data as a gannt chart

Hello,

I have a table in MS Access with data that i'd like to
programmatically translate into a gannt-chart-like rendering in Visio
2010. I presume I'll have to use Visio VBA to accomplish this but it
would be my first foray into Visio automation so I'm trying to get an
idea of just how much work it might take and any other helpful
insights.

My Access table would have the following fields:
Month 1
Month 2
Name 1
Name 2
Number
Comment

I'd like to programmatically loop through this table and produce a
gannt-chart-like rendering in Visio 2010.  The Visio diagram would
already have month labels along the bottom from left to right like
this:
January   Febuary     March      April    (etc)

The VBA code would need to translate a given row from the access table
into a Visio shape, perhaps a simple data-enabled rectangle.  This
shape's vertical position should be above the monthly labels and the
shape's width should span across the appropriate months.  For example,
if the Month 1 field value is 'January' and the Month 2 field value is
'March' the shape should span from January to March like this:
       [--------SHAPE--------]
January   Febuary     March      April

The shape should also be able to act as a container for other pieces
of data from the access table row, such as Name 1, Name 2, Number, and
Comment.  These values should be visible on the shape like this:
       [Smith, Doe, 111]
January   Febuary     March      April

The VBA code would loop through the access table rows one by one and
create the corresponding shapes, which would stack one on top of
another in the diagram, as with a typical gannt chart:
       [Rogers, Smith, 333]
                     [Johnson, Doe, 222]
       [Smith, Doe, 111]
January   Febuary     March      April

If the VBA programming for this were fairly straightforward I would
likely want to do a variety of other things with the data associated
with the shapes, where relationships exist between certain shapes,
such as perform calculations on the various Numbers (Shape 1 Number +
Shape 2 Number - Shape 3 Number, as an example).

This is my first inquiry relating to Visio automation so i invite any
feedback- Should I even try to use Visio for this?  How extensive
might the programming be?  How steep is the learning curve for
proficiency with the Visio VBA object model (I'm already proficient
with Access VBA, Excel VBA, and VS.NET)?  What other options might I
have?

Thanks,
Jesse Aufiero

visio 3638 articles. 1 followers. Follow

On Tue, 30 Aug 2011 04:27:23 -0700 (PDT), jesse aufiero <jesse.aufiero@gmail.com> wrote:

>Hello,

These newsgroups are no longer in use and it is unlikely that you will get an answer here.
There are replacement forums for Visio, Microsoft's own:
http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/visiogeneral/threads
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/office/forum/visio?page=1&tab=all

or Visio MVP VisioGuy
http://www.visguy.com/vgforum/

--
Regards, Paul Herber, Sandrila Ltd.
Electronics for Visio          http://www.sandrila.co.uk/visio-electronics/

Mounting old Data Stores
Hi. Due to problems with Win2003 SBS, I did a reinstall of Win2003 SBS sp1 from original CD-s. Before 'deleting' the old Windows, I made an ASR tape backup of the running server. It seams the ASR backup backed up only drive C: with all relevant data. As other data were on drive D: (Exchange data files, SQL data files,...), I backed up the D: drive too to a separate tape in a separate ntbackup session. Before the backup I used Exmerge to export all users mailboxes. Later I imported those mailboxes in a new Exchange installation. Unfortunately the user forgot to told me, they hav...

Import external data-text files but placed in the next column rather than next empty row
I want to import text files in to one worksheet. The text files are sent daily and all the same format. However the text file names change buy an incremental number. Is it possible to create a macro that imports these text files, ignoring their exact filename but from the same source directory into one worksheet. Can you use wild cards for the name e.g. "********.txt"? At the moment I can manually do this, by selecting the cell below the last record then using the process "Get external Data" and following the wizard which works fine. As soon as I try to create a m...

timeline chart within a scatter plot
I have an excel scatter plot that displays some point information when the mouse cursor hovers over the data point. The information displayed are beginning and end time for different events that occured for that particular data point. What I would like to do now is be able to chart a timeline chart that will display the different time event when I click on a datapoint. Has anyone done anything similar to this? A chart that can generate another chart in excel? Thanks, You can use the click event to trigger a VBA procedure that creates the second chart. Here's an article about chart ...

Chart templates?
There are 24 tabs in my workbook and each needs a columnar color-coded chart relevant to the spreadsheet data. Is there a way I can do 1 master chart, then export/copy to all other tabs to populate each chart with the appropriate tab's data? ...

Plotting 1 curve from 2 separate x-axis data
I have stock portfolio info for January thru June, which plots easily. After portfolio changes, I have another plot for July thru December. Plots easily. These data are on 2 separate worksheets. Now I would like to plot a single curve for the year. The first 6 months is easy. How can I plot a continuous curve for the whole year without having to insert the first 6 months worth on the last 6 months worksheet? Not sure I explained this very well, but --- Dave The easiest way is to have both sets of data on one (a new?) worksheet. Then you can plot as with one or two series. Copy a...

Frx: linked data worksheet summing error
We use linked data worksheets for some of our reporting. The column format displays both current period and YTD. The YTD column is not calculating the correct amounts from the worksheet. For example, if we were in period 12, it would sum the YTD column as follows. period 1: add 12x period 2: add 11x period 3: add 10x period 4: add 9x ....and so forth period 12: add 1x Obviously, this gives us a huge error in the ytd column. Anyone have an idea why this is occurring? We are using the /cpo format for the linked worksheet. Thanks ...

Help! Selecting data according to date range
I'm attempting to setup a worksheet for reminding employees to rene their licenses. I have input the data where the data range is from ro 3 - 84 (this could increase or decrease with hiring/firing, etc.). Th columns range from A - K with column H being *date*. I would like to start a new sheet (sheet2) in this workbook with th range of months in a year. In each monthly section it would search th data range in sheet 1 and return the records with the correspondin dates for that month. For example: If a employee's license expires i January, the entire record for that employee would...

Pivot Table chart field buttons
I have a pivot table chart with several field buttons across the top. How can I move them to the side? Thanks in advance for your help! You should be able to drag the field buttons from the page area to the column area. What happens when you try to move them? Jeff M wrote: > I have a pivot table chart with several field buttons across the top. How can > I move them to the side? > > Thanks in advance for your help! -- Debra Dalgleish Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List http://www.contextures.com/tiptech.html ...

about inserting data
hi, i am new to this newsgroup. I have little knwldge in Excel. How to create tables in Excel file. and also i want to execute the quries. How can i do that. thanks, regards, koti ...

Printing ORG chart
Hello. I have just created my first excel org chart. WOW- i am boggeled. It is a large org chart. When I started creating it the chart kept getting smaller because of my margins so i expanded them. Now I am finished. I need to print. The org chart actually starts in colum BT line 88 and ends in column DA line 167. Excel says it's 98 pages long but that's because of the page breaks. When I try adjusting the page breaks the chart gets to little to view. I would like the chart to print on one page which should be possible. I am trying to move the chart to column a line 1 so I can...

Using "do Visual Basic" from AppleScript to access Office 2004
I am trying to automate word,excel and ppt via Java-Cocoa-AppleScript-VB. The Java application exists already. The objective here is to have the *same* interface access all three apps .... this seems impossible given the inconsistent level of method exposure MS have provided. Using all AppleScript fails because PPT has a very limited set of objects that can be accessed from AS. For this reason I decided to investigate using VB to do the work (yes, even though the mechanism to return values is broken) and use the 'do Visual Basic' command to send it to the app. It does not look lik...

Need help with data validation format
I'm trying to make this format mandatory when someone enters his/her data in a cell. The format would be this : "### ###". Therefor, if the worksheet user doesn't enter a chain like this one : "113 244", the data just won't enter. And yes, the space beetween the 3 first and last numbers has to be there. I can't seem to find anything in the Data / Validation menu that enables me to do this :confused:. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance. ------------------------------------------------ ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com/ ~~...

searching data
Is there a way in Excel to search multiple worksheets to collect "hits" of a particular entry? I have a 5-sheet workbook with about 2000 customer names, and I want to see if I have duplicates or repeats over all 5 sheets. >-----Original Message----- >Is there a way in Excel to search multiple worksheets to >collect "hits" of a particular entry? I have a 5-sheet >workbook with about 2000 customer names, and I want to see >if I have duplicates or repeats over all 5 sheets. >. > This feature is available in Excel XP & 2003 -- in the Fin...

Help files with Visual Studio 7?
Can someone help. It's been a little while since I did some programming. Since then I upgraded my Windows XP to SP2. This is the only difference I can imagine since the last time of using VS7. On my reinstall of Visual Studio, I don't get any thing when trying to bring up the help files and samples. Every thing returns "No Links are available for the current selection". Thanks in advance for any suggestions or input. -- L. James ------------- L. D. James ljames@apollo3.com...

Manual pie charts
Is there a way that I can create a blank, quartered pie chart that I can shade per quarter as needed? In A1:A4 enter 4 identical numbers (1,1,1,1) Make a pie chart Format the chart to make the colors white and the borders black Now you have a circle divided into four quarters. Put you could have done with the the Paint drawing program! best wishes -- Bernard Liengme Microsoft Excel MVP http://people.stfx.ca/bliengme "jumpinjujubeez1" <jumpinjujubeez1@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:43D38C65-89E3-4339-ABDF-59423A845703@microsoft.com... >...

Can a chart reference the local page
I have a weekly page of data, with charts on that page that reference that data. Each week I copy the page and rename it for the new week, but the charts (and pivot table) keep pointing back to the old week. How can I set up the charts to reference the data on the same page as the chart? Copy the whole sheet, with the embedded chart on it. Copy the new data, and paste it in place in the copied sheet. - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Tutorials and Custom Solutions http://PeltierTech.com _______ "Mike H" <MikeH@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message ...

export public folder data?

How to select data series to format? (alternative needed)
Is there an alternate way to select a data series to format in an XY Scatter chart? The only way I know of is to move the cursor close to the series line and right-click. But if the chart includes many data series and the lines are close together, it is difficult, if not "impossible", to select the desired line. I am looking for a method that presents me with a list of all the data series, and I select the one I want to "right click" (i.e. open the menu that include format, add trendline and clear, among others). Or something else that would not be so difficult to use. ...

Getting Excel's charting capabilities from Access
Hi, i currently export from Access to Excel in order to leverage Excel's advanced charting features. Is there a way to generate those Excel charts directly from Access? thx vince In Access, you could use the TransferSpreadsheet method to send the data to Excel. Then, in your Excel workbook, you could use Workbook_Open code to create the chart as the file is opened. vince wrote: > Hi, > i currently export from Access to Excel in order to leverage Excel's > advanced charting features. > > Is there a way to generate those Excel charts directly from Access? > &...

Data Not Displaying
I am having a weird instance with my report not showing a couple of data. This report is based on a table and has 7 groups. The weird instance is on group 1, where some of the data appeared but not all. For example, here are my data : ColA ColB ColC ColD .... So far, I have detected that in ColC, the data does not show in all rows. Ex.: I have 13 rows all together, but in rows 3 and 6, Col C is blank. I checked the data in the table and they're all there. It is just not showing up on the report. I checked the Conditional Formating for this textbox, but there i...

Selectively protect cell data
I would like to , when a cell is empty, be able to enter data, but, once data is entered have the cell protected. Is there any way to do this. I'm a novice. thanks for any help. Ken Ken, here is one way, Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range) '******unlock all cells in the range first********* Dim MyRange As Range Const Password = "123" '**Change password here** Set MyRange = Intersect(Range("A1:B10"), Target) '**change range here** If Not MyRange Is Nothing Then Unprotect Password:=Password MyRange.Lock...

Pivot table returns "Problems obtainig data"
Office 2000 Prof. SR_1 with SP4. Created a Form in Access to display data from one "My table" using the Form "Excel Pivot Table". Exported "My table" and this Form to others databases. Works OK in all computers. In one computer is giving the following error message when trying to REFRESH de data: EXCEL Problems Obtainig data. Even when I tried to create it a new Form in that database using the same imported table, gives the same error message. ...

Strange visual effect in PropertySheet with XP Themes
Hi everyone: Take a look at this MFC sample: http://www.codeguru.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=15616 Somehow when I run it on Windows XP machine with visual themes on, a white bar appears at the bottom. What could be the problem??? I used CPropertySheet and CPropertyPage classes to create it. "dc2000" wrote: > Hi everyone: > > > Take a look at this MFC sample: > http://www.codeguru.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=15616 > > Somehow when I run it on Windows XP machine with visual themes on, a white > bar appears at the bottom. What could...

High/low stock chart with line chart
any help appreciated...is it possible to plot a high/low/close stock chart with an additional series on a second axis? for example stock high/low/close price - y axis 1 p/e ratio - y axis 2 Jon Peltier has instructions for adding a series to a Stock Chart: http://www.geocities.com/jonpeltier/Excel/Charts/StockChartPlus.html sbfredster wrote: > any help appreciated...is it possible to plot a > high/low/close stock chart with an additional series on a > second axis? > for example > > stock high/low/close price - y axis 1 > p/e ratio - y axis 2 -- Debra Dalgle...

Comparative charts
I want to do a simple bar chart showing sales for each day this year, with right next to it, sales from the same day last year. How would I setup my table to do this? I am dumping data from another source. THANKS! Kelli Set up your data with days down column A, with the years as headings in row 1. For example: 2004 2005 1 100 125 2 125 132 Select a cell in the table, and use the Chart Wizard to create a chart. Jon Peltier has a Charting tutorial that may help you: http://www.peltiertech.com/Excel/ChartsHowTo/index.html Kelli wrote: > I want to do a simple bar...