Visio Version Confusion

Hello. We're a MS partner, and we get all the MSDN CDs on a regular basis.
Currently we are making a push to get all of our .NET developers onto the
same version of Visio. I thought we ought to make it the most recent
version. The most recent CD I could find in MSDN was Jan 2004 and is titled
exactly "Microsoft Office Visio Professional 2003". I installed it, it works
great, but my boss tells me that it is missing some features that he was
after.

One example he gave me was Reports. When I go to Tools >> Reports all I get
is one report (inventry.vrd). If instead of this version I install the
December 2003 CD called "Visio for Enterprise Architects 2003", I do get
more reports. This is confusing because the "enterprise architects 2003"
version is Visio version 10.x whereas the other one that had only one report
was Visio version 11.x (from help >> about).

Does anyone know whether there is a service release for the 11.x or maybe an
add-on or something that will give me the additional reports (and who knows
what else) that my boss is looking for? Or is there a Visio 11.x that is for
enterprise architects? I'm confused by this. I just want to get everyone on
the latest, with all the .NET/UML/ERD features possible.

Thanks,
AJ

0
aschaff (1)
5/25/2004 5:52:43 PM
visio 3638 articles. 1 followers. Follow

yes, v2003ea is really v2002 under the covers. yes, a lot of functionality
was dropped when they went to v2003 (but they tell me it's prettier). fyi,
the real v2003ea will come out with the next release of vs.net. The net
stuff is pretty much gone for good the focus will probably be on the uml/erd
stuff.

Al
"Adam J. Schaff" <aschaff@cascocdev.com> wrote in message
> Hello. We're a MS partner, and we get all the MSDN CDs on a regular basis.
> Currently we are making a push to get all of our .NET developers onto the
> same version of Visio. I thought we ought to make it the most recent
> version. The most recent CD I could find in MSDN was Jan 2004 and is
titled
> exactly "Microsoft Office Visio Professional 2003". I installed it, it
works
> great, but my boss tells me that it is missing some features that he was
> after.
>
> One example he gave me was Reports. When I go to Tools >> Reports all I
get
> is one report (inventry.vrd). If instead of this version I install the
> December 2003 CD called "Visio for Enterprise Architects 2003", I do get
> more reports. This is confusing because the "enterprise architects 2003"
> version is Visio version 10.x whereas the other one that had only one
report
> was Visio version 11.x (from help >> about).
>
> Does anyone know whether there is a service release for the 11.x or maybe
an
> add-on or something that will give me the additional reports (and who
knows
> what else) that my boss is looking for? Or is there a Visio 11.x that is
for
> enterprise architects? I'm confused by this. I just want to get everyone
on
> the latest, with all the .NET/UML/ERD features possible.
>
> Thanks,
> AJ

0
edlund1 (616)
5/25/2004 6:06:35 PM
Visio 2003 EA was released before Visio 2003 was released, so it contains
Visio 2002. Supposedly, Visio 2005 EA will contain Visio 2003.

John...    Visio MVP

Need stencils or ideas? http://www.mvps.org/visio/3rdparty.htm
Need VBA examples?   http://www.mvps.org/visio/VBA.htm
Common Visio Questions http://www.mvps.org/visio/common_questions.htm
"Adam J. Schaff" <aschaff@cascocdev.com> wrote in message
> Hello. We're a MS partner, and we get all the MSDN CDs on a regular basis.
> Currently we are making a push to get all of our .NET developers onto the
> same version of Visio. I thought we ought to make it the most recent
> version. The most recent CD I could find in MSDN was Jan 2004 and is
titled
> exactly "Microsoft Office Visio Professional 2003". I installed it, it
works
> great, but my boss tells me that it is missing some features that he was
> after.
>
> One example he gave me was Reports. When I go to Tools >> Reports all I
get
> is one report (inventry.vrd). If instead of this version I install the
> December 2003 CD called "Visio for Enterprise Architects 2003", I do get
> more reports. This is confusing because the "enterprise architects 2003"
> version is Visio version 10.x whereas the other one that had only one
report
> was Visio version 11.x (from help >> about).
>
> Does anyone know whether there is a service release for the 11.x or maybe
an
> add-on or something that will give me the additional reports (and who
knows
> what else) that my boss is looking for? Or is there a Visio 11.x that is
for
> enterprise architects? I'm confused by this. I just want to get everyone
on
> the latest, with all the .NET/UML/ERD features possible.
>
> Thanks,
> AJ

0
lancucki (505)
5/27/2004 6:06:04 PM
Er.  Visual Studio 2005 EA will contain Visio 2003 is what you meant.

--
Mark Nelson
Microsoft Corporation

"John Marshall, MVP" <lancucki@stonehenge.ca> wrote in message
> Visio 2003 EA was released before Visio 2003 was released, so it contains
> Visio 2002. Supposedly, Visio 2005 EA will contain Visio 2003.
>
> John...    Visio MVP
>
> Need stencils or ideas? http://www.mvps.org/visio/3rdparty.htm
> Need VBA examples?   http://www.mvps.org/visio/VBA.htm
> Common Visio Questions http://www.mvps.org/visio/common_questions.htm
> "Adam J. Schaff" <aschaff@cascocdev.com> wrote in message
> > Hello. We're a MS partner, and we get all the MSDN CDs on a regular
basis.
> > Currently we are making a push to get all of our .NET developers onto
the
> > same version of Visio. I thought we ought to make it the most recent
> > version. The most recent CD I could find in MSDN was Jan 2004 and is
> titled
> > exactly "Microsoft Office Visio Professional 2003". I installed it, it
> works
> > great, but my boss tells me that it is missing some features that he was
> > after.
> >
> > One example he gave me was Reports. When I go to Tools >> Reports all I
> get
> > is one report (inventry.vrd). If instead of this version I install the
> > December 2003 CD called "Visio for Enterprise Architects 2003", I do get
> > more reports. This is confusing because the "enterprise architects 2003"
> > version is Visio version 10.x whereas the other one that had only one
> report
> > was Visio version 11.x (from help >> about).
> >
> > Does anyone know whether there is a service release for the 11.x or
maybe
> an
> > add-on or something that will give me the additional reports (and who
> knows
> > what else) that my boss is looking for? Or is there a Visio 11.x that is
> for
> > enterprise architects? I'm confused by this. I just want to get everyone
> on
> > the latest, with all the .NET/UML/ERD features possible.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > AJ

0
marknel (439)
5/29/2004 10:59:01 PM
The current product is Visio for Enterprise Architects 2003 so wouldn't the
next one be Visio for Enterprise Architects 2005. (Visio EA 2005)(or for us
dyslexics Visio 2005 EA)?
So they are planning a name change to get away from the version number
confusion. ow the confusion will be on the other side.
"I bought Visual Studio 2005 EA, but it does not come with a full copy of
Visual Studio.."

The Visual Studio 2005 causes me some problems because my brain drops the
"ual" and the "tud" and I get VisSio 2005. Maybe fourteen working years with
Visio has caused some problems. ;-)

"Mark Nelson [MS]" <marknel@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Er.  Visual Studio 2005 EA will contain Visio 2003 is what you meant.
>
> --
> Mark Nelson
> Microsoft Corporation

rights.

> "John Marshall, MVP" <lancucki@stonehenge.ca> wrote in message
> > Visio 2003 EA was released before Visio 2003 was released, so it
contains
> > Visio 2002. Supposedly, Visio 2005 EA will contain Visio 2003.
> >
> > John...    Visio MVP

0
lancucki (505)
5/30/2004 12:51:53 PM
John,
Look at all of the activity the can churn on the forum by continuing this
naming fiasco.....
Al
> The current product is Visio for Enterprise Architects 2003 so wouldn't
the
> next one be Visio for Enterprise Architects 2005. (Visio EA 2005)(or for
us
> dyslexics Visio 2005 EA)?
> So they are planning a name change to get away from the version number
> confusion. ow the confusion will be on the other side.
> "I bought Visual Studio 2005 EA, but it does not come with a full copy of
> Visual Studio.."
>
> The Visual Studio 2005 causes me some problems because my brain drops the
> "ual" and the "tud" and I get VisSio 2005. Maybe fourteen working years
with
> Visio has caused some problems. ;-)
>
> John...    Visio MVP
>
> Need stencils or ideas? http://www.mvps.org/visio/3rdparty.htm
> Need VBA examples?   http://www.mvps.org/visio/VBA.htm
> Common Visio Questions http://www.mvps.org/visio/common_questions.htm
> "Mark Nelson [MS]" <marknel@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Er.  Visual Studio 2005 EA will contain Visio 2003 is what you meant.
> >
> > --
> > Mark Nelson
> > Microsoft Corporation

> rights.
> >
> > "John Marshall, MVP" <lancucki@stonehenge.ca> wrote in message
> > > Visio 2003 EA was released before Visio 2003 was released, so it
> contains
> > > Visio 2002. Supposedly, Visio 2005 EA will contain Visio 2003.
> > >
> > > John...    Visio MVP

0
edlund1 (616)

Re: Virus Proof version of Windows.
On Wed, 31 Mar 2010 03:32:38 -0700, "The Flavored Coffee Guy" <elgersmad@vfemail.net> wrote: > >Hello, > > It's simple, you design the next version of windows to operate on a >computer with 2 hard drives. Windows resides on one drive, which will have >the write function turned off, and it writes to the second drive for all >settings. When you install windows, drivers can be written to that drive. >But in the design plan is that a mechanical switch will be used to turn off >the hard drive's ability to be written to by the ...

New Version
Anyone know when a new version (1.1) or some significant Service Pack for MS-CRM will be available? When we purchased in February, we were told June. - john -- John O'Keefe Fine Point Technologies, Inc. 90 John Street - Suite 704 New York, NY 10038 email: jokeefe-mobile@finepoint.com phone: +1 (212) 962-7410 fax: +1 (212) 962-7404 web: http://www.finepoint.com There has been no announcements yet john but a lot of speculation. "John O'Keefe" <jokeefe-mobile@finepoint.com> wrote in message news:OJI4OjORDHA.1560@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl... > Anyone know when a new ve...

Excel version compatibility problem?
6 people are sharing a single Excel spreadsheet over the network. Unti recently this was not giving any problems at all. Some of them use XP Pro computers with newer versions of MS Offic (2000, 2003) and some use older W98 computers with MS Office 97. The spreadsheet is quite complex, with many named cells, lookups, lon nested formulae with if statements, etc. However, there are n user-defined macros and the structure of the sheet has not changed muc recently. But, recently, they have had trouble with error messages claiming tha macros will not run, then Excel "loses" the curren...

use of xpp & old version of excell ver 5a
Are these compatible they seem to work ok initially I keep getting unabe to open file after a period of use ( say 1 hour) grateful of any help ...

Excel 2002
I have a user who has a Workbook (which is shared, and pages are linked to each other). She opened it up this morning, and it opened as 2 "versions". The naming convention was Workbook.xls:1 and Workbook.xls:2. If she made a change to one, it was "duplicated" on the second "version". She advised all she did to the worksheet was to unfreeze the pane. She worked on the worksheet yesterday, and it did not do this. When she opened it this morning, the view was at 100% (from 75%), and Workbook "versions" were showing (and the directory where the ...

Help Visio 2007
I'm trying to use Visio to draw lunar trajectories to scale. I see where I can set the scale in the Page Setup window (an odd place, but whatever). But I need like a 1:40000 scale, and Visio tells me that scale is illegal. Is it possible that Microsoft's still using a 16-bit integer for scaling parameter? I also can't figure out how to place the origin. I'd like it to be in midpage rather than on one corner. Finally, I'd like to describe the "planets" as circles with positions and diameters numeric inputs, rather than just dragging things aroun...

count values in visio
hallo everybody in an organization chart i created with the wizard i added a custom field containing the value of the sexe of the employee. you can make this value visible by clicking an object on the cheet. My question is: can you get visio to count the number of males and femals by looking at the custom fields? If so, how? any help is greatly appreciated. sybolt You can do this with VBA, but there is no function available in the UI to do this that I know of. Randall Arnold "S.Hoitinga" <s.hoitinga@chello.nl> wrote in message news:rJZnc.59585$oW1.45737@amsnews05.chel...

Determining MFC version
How can I determine what version of MFC the app is being compiled under? I have some code that needs to be one way for legacy and another for VS2005. I have a simple #ifdef right now but I know there must be a way to do it without having to define this in the preprocessor directives. Thanks Eric > How can I determine what version of MFC the app is being compiled under? I > have some code that needs to be one way for legacy and another for VS2005. > I have a simple #ifdef right now but I know there must be a way to do it > without having to define this in the preprocess...

CRM should allow an export of Workflow Rules to Visio or similar.
My users would like to have a readable format for reviewing Workflow rules. Exporting into a Visio flowchart format would be ideal. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the message pane. http://www.microsoft.com/Businesssolutions/Community/NewsGroups/dgbrowser/en-us/default....

Trial Version expired: To Buy online
Hi <br><br>I only had the trial version of Mac Office 2004 which now expired. Can I now buy the new Office online? I'm located in Africa. Is this regarded as an upgrade or a full purchase You can *buy* it online, but no version of Mac Office is legitimately available for *download* - which I believe is hat you mean:-) Upgrades are only useable if you have a licensed copy of a prior versions - IOW, No - you can't *upgrade* from a free trial. Regards |:>) Bob Jones [MVP] Office:Mac On 1/21/08 3:21 AM, in article ee89b22.-1@webcrossing.caR9absDaxw, "Ynnad@office...

Visio Viewer in IE
I have Visio Viewer 2007 installed. When I open up a visio diagram stored on my local drive, it opens IE (which it should) but instead of just viewing the file, I get the message 'this website wants to run the following add-on: Microsoft Visio Viewer' from Microsoft Corporation'... I can I have it trust the viewer add on always so it just opens the file and not give me the warning everytime. thanks Have you played with your Internet Security Settings? BTW, you may find my latest blog interesting and relevant: http://bvisual.spaces.live.com/blog/cns!3350D61BC93733A9!1077.e...

Unable to register Office 2008 Trail Version
I downloaded the Trail Version of Office 2008 but when I came to start the registration process the spinning green dots would appear but never stops. Therefore when I click on any of the Office components in the dock, a window appears and I go through the same thing. It's like a loop. Only the word Word or the others appears in the Menu line. I called Tech Support but they could not help.What's going on here? Thanks.........Arnie On 7/14/09 6:23 PM, in article bf5b01af-dec4-4cf5-84d3-750f6db2cb6d@c36g2000yqn.googlegroups.com, "Arnie" <armil.2930@verizon.net> wrote: &...

changing version suffix in OE
I have several computers in my office all running XP with outlook express version 6. Some of the machines have trouble getting some emails. These machines have OE v6.00.2900.2180. The rest of the machines, which have no problems at all, are v6.00.2900.5512. Any idea how I go about bringing the problem units up to the same version as the good ones. You run MS Update, not that OE is supported on this Outlook group "socomrod" <socomrod@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:820AC107-2001-4D17-A2E1-EAC96367EDCD@microsoft.com... > I have several com...

Is there a textbox I can use for the Excel (Mac version)
So I had a working excel sheet with textboxes, but textboxes didn't work for the mac version. Is there a textbox that does work for the mac version of excel? ------------------------------------------------ ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com/ ~~ View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ ActiveX controls are Windows-only. Use a textbox from the Drawing toolbar. In article <kenji4861.vwdjb@excelforum-nospam.com>, kenji4861 <kenji4861.vwdjb@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote: > So I had a working excel sheet with textboxes, but textb...

Older version #2
I recieved an e-mail attachment of a .pub file. I tried to open it but got a message 'Publisher cannot open files from a differant version' I use Office 2000 and Win XP. Ia there any other way I can open the attachment? Thanks for any help!!!! Peter What version is the attachment? If it is the same version as yours and you have Norton, disable script blocking within Norton and try to open it again. If you cannot open it, send it to me and I will convert it for you. Remove "my" to reply. -- Mary Sauer MS MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://www.msauer.mvps.org/ news...

Use of Previous Version Access Databases in Access 2003
I read the following in an MS support page: "If you want to save the Access file as an MDE (MDE file: Microsoft Access database (.mdb) file with all modules compiled and all editable source code removed.) or ADE (ADE file: A Microsoft Access project (.adp) file with all modules compiled and all editable source code removed.) in Access 2002 or later, you must convert the file to Access 2002 - 2003 file format. Otherwise, you don't necessarily need to convert a Microsoft Access 2000 file to the Access 2002 - 2003 file format." I need to support a few databases (almost always in A...

How to open previous version of Publisher file
Have Publisher 2000 sp-3 and am attempting to open another Publisher file that friend sent me. Keeps giving me the response that "Publisher cannot open files from a different version" Is there not a conversion foir this or patch? Do you know which version of Publisher your friend is using? If it's 2002 or 2003, have them do a "Save As" and change it to a Pub 2000 file. And no, there are no converters or patch. You could look into whether Pub 2003 is an option for you. -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] "walko789" <walko789@discussions...

import visio file in Rational
Hi, is it possible to import MS Vision file (*.vsd) in Rational? I tried doing that but Rational gives me error :- Error: Petal syntax error at line 1 near '=D0' thanking in advance cheers Shawn I guess that would be a question for Rational(IBM), rather than visio.... al "shawn" <shawn.me@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1116409024.753830.104140@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com... Hi, is it possible to import MS Vision file (*.vsd) in Rational? I tried doing that but Rational gives me error :- Error: Petal syntax error at line 1 near '�' thanking in advance ...

Visio help files go missing
I am experiencing an annoying problem with the Help files. I go into the Help files and only see information on the Contents tab. The Answer Wizard and Index tabs are there, but there is nothing showing on them. The Detect and Repair feature can be used to restore the missing information on the 2 tabs. Can anyone help in identifying why the information goes AWOL ? TIA John. John, > I am experiencing an annoying problem with the Help > files. I go into the Help files and only see information > on the Contents tab. The Answer Wizard and Index tabs are > there, but the...

Outlook version of CRM is showing inactive account as well when searching....
Hi there, We have a client who has an issue where when you are in Outlook version of Microsoft CRM and do a search on account, inactive accounts come up as well. But this doesn't happen on web version of MSCRM, web version of CRM only list active accounts when searching. Has anybody come across this before? Regards, Kyaw Hi Kyaw, Are they offline or online? If Offline, what happens when they go Online? And then back Offline? Stephen "Kyaw" <no@spam.net> wrote in message news:%23ePPJ4YqEHA.3876@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl... > Hi there, > > We have a client ...

New Page
AVG Anti Virus New Page - Latest Version and Updates: Main Page http://www.grisoft.com/us/us_index.php Version 7.0 (trial and downloads) http://www.grisoft.com/us/us_dwnl7.php Ver. 6.0 free download http://www.grisoft.com/us/us_dwnl_free.php LuckyStrike LS@smokedamagedfurniture.youcandriveitawaytoday.com -------------------------- ...

Exporting From Visio to Sql Server
I have set up my database schema in my Visio Professional 2003. Is there a way to export the schema to my Sql Server? There is an Export function, but it doesn't seem to be for creating tables from the schema. Thanks, Tom. you have to be at visio enterpise level to export, not professional. Al "Thomas Scheiderich" <tfs@deltanet.com> wrote in message news:10lcead2rpijja4@corp.supernews.com... >I have set up my database schema in my Visio Professional 2003. > > Is there a way to export the schema to my Sql Server? > > There is an Export function, but it...

Works version 7.0 to Office 2007
Hi, I'd like to upgrade my works (version 7) and would like Office 2007. Am I allowed and able to upgrade from my works to office 2007? Thanks "mikeymike" <mikeymike@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:634B0E12-BD82-4743-A384-5C14E023F8AC@microsoft.com... > Hi, I'd like to upgrade my works (version 7) and would like Office 2007. > Am I > allowed and able to upgrade from my works to office 2007? > > Thanks Works 7 is a valid upgrade qualifying product. See http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/suites/FX101754511033.aspx for ...

Replace Fx with = in Excel as older excel versions were.
My old computer's version of Excel had the = sign where the Fx now appears. I want the = sign instead of the Function button Fx to be the default. It's gone, you can't get that fuinctionality even if you customize and put the equal sign in the menu Regards, Peo Sjoblom "Solzman" wrote: > My old computer's version of Excel had the = sign where the Fx now appears. I > want the = sign instead of the Function button Fx to be the default. ...

How do you print the comments in a Visio drawing?
How do you print the comments in a Visio drawing? There is no feature for this. -- Mark Nelson Microsoft Corporation This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. "p.e." <pe@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:5EB6EC79-31B6-441D-8083-0D0D32949309@microsoft.com... > How do you print the comments in a Visio drawing? ...