Update - Microsoft Responds to the Evolution of Community

What is Happening?
This message is to inform you that Microsoft will soon begin discontinuing
newsgroups and transitioning users to Microsoft forums.

Why?
As you may know, newsgroups have existed for many years now; however, the
traffic in the Microsoft newsgroups has been steadily decreasing for the
past several years while customers and participants are increasingly finding
solutions in the forums on Microsoft properties and third party sites.  This
move will unify the customer experience, centralize content, make it easier
for active contributors to retain their influence, mitigate redundancies and
make the content easier to find by customers and search engines through
improved indexing.  Additionally, forums offer a better user and spam
management platform that will improve customer satisfaction by encouraging a
healthy discussion in a clean community space.  To this end, Microsoft will
begin to progressively shift available resources to the forums technology
and discontinue support for newsgroups.

In addition to offering a compelling online browser experience, for those
users who prefer to use an NNTP (newsgroup) reader to participate in the
newsgroups community, we have developed a solution called the NNTP Bridge
which allows a user to connect a variety of supported NNTP readers to the
forums they would like to participate in and continue having the NTTP reader
functionality.  You can find instructions on how to download and set up the
NNTP Bridge here: http://connect.microsoft.com/MicrosoftForums/

Which Newsgroups Are Affected by this Shutdown?
All public newsgroups will eventually be closed between June 1, 2010 and
October 1, 2010.  Microsoft will be closing newsgroups in a phased approach,
starting with the least active newsgroups and moving eventually to more
active ones throughout the course of the next six months.

When will this Happen?
Effective June 1, 2010 this newsgroup will be closed.

Where Should I go with the Closure of this Newsgroup?
Microsoft has a large selection of forums, many of which cover either the
same or closely related technologies to the ones found in the newsgroups.
The forums have seen amazing growth and are an excellent place to continue
the discussion.  We recommend that you start with
http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/addbuz/threads

Should you want to visit the other Microsoft Forums, please go to
http://www.microsoft.com/communities/forums/default.mspx

Who Should I Contact with any Questions?
Send any questions about the process, recommended forums and timing to
NNTP@microsoft.com

0
nntp
5/8/2010 6:50:15 AM
visio 3638 articles. 1 followers. Follow

Using Microsoft Money 2003 for a small Church
I am the Rector of a very small (about 40 members) Episcopal Church in a small town in PA. Does anyone "out there" have any information how I can make Money 2003 work for our very simple Church budget? An article I can read - - some reference to making the categories work for a church/business rather than home? We can certainly use the online banking which Money provides -- but I don't think we need the whole business version of Money 2003. I'm thinking that, with a little tweaking, Money 2003 for home will do the trick. Any suggestions? I'm grateful for an...

Academic version of Microsoft Office Professional 2007
I have the opportunity to purchase the 'academic version of Microsoft Office Professional 2007. Is the 'academic' version reduced in capabilities from just the basic Microsoft Office Professional 2007? hi Bob, BobC wrote: > I have the opportunity to purchase the 'academic version of Microsoft > Office Professional 2007. > Is the 'academic' version reduced in capabilities from just the basic > Microsoft Office Professional 2007? No, you just may use it for academic purposes. mfG --> stefan <-- ...

Help Troubleshooting Before Update event
I've run into a problem getting a Before Update event to launch. I'm trying to update the LastUpdate field with the current date and time when data on a form is changed. The control is on a subform, which is also located on a tab control. I've checked the code on a "plain" form so I know it works, but I'm missing something when trying to make it work on the subform. Form Name: frmVisits Subform Name: frmVisitOrgTab Tab Name: pgVisitInfo Control Name: LastUpdate (formatted as General Date) Current Code: Private Sub Form_BeforeUpdate(Cancel As Integer) Me![frmVi...

Update subform field
Please bear with me as I try to explain what I need. I have a database that is used for tracking employee contributions to a non-taxable medical reimbursement plan. I currently have frmContributions which is used to view yearly employee contributions. Form fields are: EmployeeID, EmployeeName, YearlyContribution. On this form I also have a subform which will be used to track withdrawls from the account. The subform fields are EmployeeID, StartAmt, Request, Paid, and Remaining. I need the first record in this subform to list StartAmt as the YearlyContribution amount (from the pa...

Outlook 2002 unable to update Rule
Keep getting this error "One or more rules could not be updated to Exchange server and have been deactivated. This could be because some of the paramaters are not supported or there is insufficient space to store all of your rules" Had tried to re-create, copy rule, still get the same error. Any ideas how to fix this. Your help is greatly appreciated. ...

Adding "button" to click to sort updated data?
I'm using Excel 2003 and need to add a button that users can click to sort new data. Once a row has been updated with new data, I want the users to simply be able to click this "button" in order to sort the new data in descending order. I have several different sets of data that I want to add these "buttons" to. One for example is found between rows R5-R16. I have results from each row's data in column R. I then users to be able to simply click this new "button" to sort those results. How can I do this? Thanks in advance for any help !!! Turn...

Microsoft Money Portfolio
I am able to use the Investment Toolbox Portfolio Manager with no problems. When I try to use the Portfolio Manager Preview all I get is a single line showing a Grand total of zero. Can anyone help me figure out what is going on or what I am doing wrong? I'm using Vista 64 bit, HP computer with an AMD processor, 6 Gig RAM. Thanks. James In microsoft.public.money, James@nowhere.com wrote: >I am able to use the Investment Toolbox Portfolio Manager with no >problems. When I try to use the Portfolio Manager Preview all I get >is a single line showing a Grand total of zero. >...

Update Prices Online choice has dissapeared
I've been using Microsoft Money 2004 Premium for 3 years now. I've always been able to update my stock prices by going to Portfolio -> Update Prices -> Update Prices Online. All of a sudden this choice is no longer available. The only choice I have under Update Prices is 'Update Prices Manually' I have no idea what could have cause this. I appreciate any insights into this matter. Thank you, Gustavop In microsoft.public.money, Gustavo wrote: >I've been using Microsoft Money 2004 Premium for 3 years now. I've >always been able to update my stock prices...

Update trigger 09-02-10
Could somebody show me how to update a trigger. I havent created any trigger but it exists in one of the databases we bought for shopping cart. I have to make some modifications to that. Mary Phelps wrote: > Could somebody show me how to update a trigger. I havent created any > trigger but it exists in one of the databases we bought for shopping > cart. I have to make some modifications to that. More details please: SQL Server version? Have you installed the client tools (SSMS or Enterprise Manager)? Is the database encrypted? Actually, why don't you have the peopl...

Cannot update distribution list member (is it related to DC/GC iss
Hi, This is strange. Over Cisco VPN, an owner of DL can update the member. However, when the owner is on-site and connected to LAN, he/she cannot update the list. What could be wrong? How can we diagnose / troubleshoot what's causing it? THANKS FOR YOUR HELP IN ADVANCE. -plagooms I would suggest you look at GC placement. Which DC/GC is the user connecting to when connected via the VPN and which one are they connected to when they are on the LAN? Nue "PLAGOOMS" <PLAGOOMS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:C4E95384-1CDF-4F4E-831F-E5EF82F86606@microso...

Update copies of contacts in multiple folders
I have copies of contacts copied to multiple folders, such as CONTACTS and FAMILY. When I edit one copy the other is not updated. How do I synchronize all copies of a contact? -- JK Well this is because these are separate items and they don't hold a link. You can't synchronize those folders. You are probably better of assigning categories to your contacts and then use views to show only a specific category. This way you don't have to duplicate your items either. -- Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook] www.howto-outlook.com Tips of the month: -What do the Outlook Icons Mean? -...

Outlook 2000 - XP upgrade
I have Win ME and had Office 2000. I just upgraded to Office XP. Now when I start Outlook, I get a message "Error in registry .... clean Shutdown.... Microsoft Exchange 4.0 not found" or words to that effect. I cancel this message, it reappears, so I cancel again and again and again (four times in total) and eventually Outlook fires up. How do I fix this? When you did the install did you "upgrade" or removed the original and then did a complele install? Anyway, go to start, settings, control panel. Double click on MAIL. Once the window is open do you see anything rela...

office updater
Does the Microsoft updater work with the student version of office or just the full version? The updates for Office X work with both the student version of Office X and the regular version of Office X. (not full vs. student, it's all the same programs and same features) And so forth for various editions of Office. On 9/28/04 6:09 PM, "judi503" wrote: > Does the Microsoft updater work with the student version of office or > just the full version? ...

Problems moving Microsoft Date and Time Picker Control on MFC dialog
I've got an MFC CDialog class that displays and manages a dialog. There are several controls on the dialog (combo boxes, edit boxes, static text boxes, etc.). Included in the mix are four Microsoft date and time picker controls. The dialog is used in three separate instances. Not all of the controls are relevant in all three instances so we hide the controls that aren't relevant in each instance, move the controls around on the screen, and resize the dialog to eliminate dead areas on the dialog. We are getting the CWnd for each control and using the SetWindowPos method for each control...

Windows XP Update Manager
Recently the update manager will not work. It trys to connect to MS to test for the latest update manager, then comes back with install and then deletes the tab and it does this in an loop over and over. -- Bruce Are your referring to a browser tab perhaps and, if so, which Version of Internet Explorer ? Download and *save* the standalone Windows Update Agent (WUA) for x86(32bit) Windows editions: How to obtain the latest version of the Windows Update Agent to help manage updates on a computer http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949104 Either click on the link under &qu...

Background Update: Delegate?
Hi, I have a software that is used to monitor several parameters of my experiment. I need live update these parameters so basically they should be running asynchronously in the background of my form. How exactly do I go about doing this? I'm aware that you can create a delegate and make it run asynchronously, but how do I stop it if it's in a forever loop? I'm not very familiar with the whole thread idea yet. Is it on the stack or in the heap? FefeOxy wrote: > Hi, > > I have a software that is used to monitor several parameters of my > experiment. I need live update...

LDAP server not responding after 03 upgrade
Upgraded from Exchange 5.5 to Exchange 2003. HP printers with Jetdirect no longer can find an LDAP server. Thoughts anyone? LDAP searches work in Active Directory users and computers, cannot find addresses from printer. Worked in 5.5, only change is migrate to Exchange 2003. I am not sure but I think M$ changed the LDAP port. Try to google for that... "EGropp" <EGropp@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:44A99BAC-4114-48BA-B407-A57345668709@microsoft.com... > Upgraded from Exchange 5.5 to Exchange 2003. > HP printers with Jetdirect no longer can find an...

Hackers target Microsoft Windows XP support system
Hello All! People might find this interesting Hackers target Microsoft Windows XP support system Thursday, 1 July 2010 10:17 UK The bug affects well-established Windows XP operating system . Hi-tech criminals are "escalating" attacks on an unpatched bug in the Windows XP help and support system. http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/10473495.stm -- James Silverton Potomac, Maryland Email, with obvious alterations: not.jim.silverton.at.verizon.not James Silverton wrote: > Hello All! > > People might find this interesting > >...

Survival Guide for Microsoft Money users
An in-depth look at some of the options Microsoft Money users have now that the software is being abandoned: http://www.usatoday.com/money/perfi/columnist/krantz/2009-07-06-microsoft-money_N.htm ...

Dynamically updating items in a databound combobox
I want to be able to select values from a combobox to edit entries in a table and also allow the user to enter new entries into the table that the field using as a foreign key. I can use a child form to enter new data into the table that's being used as a foreign key in the main one, but I can't find a way to refresh the combobox to show the newly available selections without closing and reopening the form. dan.neely@gmail.com wrote: >I want to be able to select values from a combobox to edit entries in >a table and also allow the user to enter new entries into the table >...

Microsoft South Africa Sucks!
My experience with Microsoft messaging dates back to MS-Mail, I have a passion towards the Microsoft messaging products and have worked with MS-Mail and Exchange for the past 16 years and Yes I do remember Network Courier. I have dealt directly with Microsoft South Africa on numerous projects and have designed some of South Africa's biggest exchange installations. (2 big government departments, 2 telecoms), and have been on call out for Microsoft to their customers when ROS engineers are not available cause they out drinking with their friends! (The day of my 30th birthday). I am ...

Is 'Windows Support Services' a legitimate Microsoft Co?
Hi I live in the UK. Today I received a number a cold calls from the above company, telling me I had a number of problems with my PC which they'd gleaned 'from information sent from my router' & wanted to 'turn my computer on so they could fix it for me." I sounded like they were come form an Indian call centre. I hung up each time, but they 'phoned back. The last call, when asked if he was working for Microsoft he said yes. But alarm bells were still ringing (how did they get my telephone number?) so I didn't do anything & just ...

Project taking a long time to open or update
We are running project 2007 with project server 2007 & EPM. Recently we got a project which had not been created with our standard global template. the project has about 8000 tasks and about 5 indent levels. Now if you open the project up locally (whilst not coneccted to the EPM )it works fine opens quickly updates of progress etc are almost instantaneous. If you are connected to EPM opening the same project locally then takes about 5 minutes to open and any update you do takes about the same time for each update. All other projects are working just fine with 5000...

Updating data from other Excel workbooks/Worksheets
Hi I've created a workbook (let's call it Bucket) which fetches data from some linked workbooks. However when I open Bucket I get error message '#VALUE!'. What I have done is add a formula which is supposed to to do some calculation in the other worksheet and then update information in Bucket. Refreshing does not work and I've already changed the trust center settings to automatcially update the data links. What should I do...? Just a note: When I open all source files from "edit links" the data gets updated. "Asim" wrote: > ...

Office programs going into "not responding" state
I have Office XP Professional installed on a relatively new laptop (8 Months old) which is running Win Vista Home Premium. All (office programs) hav run successfully until recently. A few weeks ago - working in Outlook - with no provocation I suddenly had an 'hourglass' running - and an "Outlook not responding" message in the title bar. Within a fw seconds, the application slightly greys -out with the 'hourglass' still spinning - and the entire thing is non-responsive - only way out is to close the app.. This only effected Outlook until yesterday - but ha...