Stencil file size

We have created stencils from Autocad files from some suppliers.  They are
nice looking but are very slow when trying edit them in any way.  Is there a
way to easily modify the Autocad files to simplify them without removing
detail to decrease the files size associated with the stencils?  Are there
attirbutes or underlying details that can be deleted?
0
J (145)
11/6/2007 4:51:03 PM
visio 3638 articles. 1 followers. Follow

Hello Peter,

A few questions for you:

When you say stencils, do you mean you've actually created .vss files rather
than straight diagrams (.vsd)?

How many Masters does your stencil contain and what is the size of the file?

Also, what version of Visio are you working with?

Best regards

John

John Goldsmith
www.visualSignals.typepad.co.uk
www.visualSignals.co.uk

"Peter J" <Peter J@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> We have created stencils from Autocad files from some suppliers.  They are
> nice looking but are very slow when trying edit them in any way.  Is there
> way to easily modify the Autocad files to simplify them without removing
> detail to decrease the files size associated with the stencils?  Are there
> attirbutes or underlying details that can be deleted?

On Tue, 6 Nov 2007 08:51:03 -0800, Peter J <Peter
J@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>We have created stencils from Autocad files from some suppliers.  They are
>nice looking but are very slow when trying edit them in any way.  Is there a
>way to easily modify the Autocad files to simplify them without removing
>detail to decrease the files size associated with the stencils?  Are there
>attirbutes or underlying details that can be deleted?

Hi Peter, the Autocad converted to Visio shapes that I've worked with
in the past have tended to be very complex. Ideal for zooming in to
very fine detail, e.g. a close up view of a control panel dial showing
each digit and 0-100 gradation exactly and zooming out to show a whole
control panel. But this complexity in Visio shapes creates very large
objects. What sort of size are the stencil files (in kilobytes) and
how many shapes?

--
Regards, Paul Herber, Sandrila Ltd.
Visio Utilities           http://www.visio-utilities.sandrila.co.uk/

They are the .vss files.  They are getting rather large, approximately 750k
each.  When you copy them multiple times on a drawing, the size of our .vsd
files is getting to nearly 10M when you include all the other data.

I am using Visio Professional 2003.  If there are benefits to 2007, I will
have to see if we can all get upgraded.

Peter

"John Goldsmith" wrote:

> Hello Peter,
>
> A few questions for you:
>
> When you say stencils, do you mean you've actually created .vss files rather
> than straight diagrams (.vsd)?
>
> How many Masters does your stencil contain and what is the size of the file?
>
> Also, what version of Visio are you working with?
>
> Best regards
>
> John
>

> John Goldsmith
> www.visualSignals.typepad.co.uk
> www.visualSignals.co.uk
>
> "Peter J" <Peter J@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > We have created stencils from Autocad files from some suppliers.  They are
> > nice looking but are very slow when trying edit them in any way.  Is there
> > way to easily modify the Autocad files to simplify them without removing
> > detail to decrease the files size associated with the stencils?  Are there
> > attirbutes or underlying details that can be deleted?

0
PeterJ (5)
11/7/2007 3:10:02 PM
Paul,

The individual stencils or shapes are 500k to 750k.  They are of electrical
panel components and can be complex, such as for I/O cards, relays, etc.
Some of them, such as GE I/O cards, etc are made of multiple little pieces,
lines, etc.  You are correct, if you zoom in, the detail is great, but we are
paying a price in terms of memory and sluggishness.

I was hoping for a quick-fix so that we can still base our parts on Autocad
drawings from vendors but that doesn't seem feasible right now.

Peter

"Paul Herber" wrote:

> On Tue, 6 Nov 2007 08:51:03 -0800, Peter J <Peter
> J@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >We have created stencils from Autocad files from some suppliers.  They are
> >nice looking but are very slow when trying edit them in any way.  Is there a
> >way to easily modify the Autocad files to simplify them without removing
> >detail to decrease the files size associated with the stencils?  Are there
> >attirbutes or underlying details that can be deleted?
>
> Hi Peter, the Autocad converted to Visio shapes that I've worked with
> in the past have tended to be very complex. Ideal for zooming in to
> very fine detail, e.g. a close up view of a control panel dial showing
> each digit and 0-100 gradation exactly and zooming out to show a whole
> control panel. But this complexity in Visio shapes creates very large
> objects. What sort of size are the stencil files (in kilobytes) and
> how many shapes?
>

> --
> Regards, Paul Herber, Sandrila Ltd.
> Visio Utilities           http://www.visio-utilities.sandrila.co.uk/

0
PeterJ (5)
11/7/2007 3:14:04 PM
On Wed, 7 Nov 2007 07:14:04 -0800, Peter J
<PeterJ@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Paul,
>
>The individual stencils or shapes are 500k to 750k.  They are of electrical
>panel components and can be complex, such as for I/O cards, relays, etc.
>Some of them, such as GE I/O cards, etc are made of multiple little pieces,
>lines, etc.  You are correct, if you zoom in, the detail is great, but we are
>paying a price in terms of memory and sluggishness.
>
>I was hoping for a quick-fix so that we can still base our parts on Autocad
>drawings from vendors but that doesn't seem feasible right now.

Unless Autocad can save in a less detailed format ....

But, I would take a guess that 10-15 minutes work with each shape
could reduce its complexity by a large amount, maybe a factor of 10.
You might find that worth while.
On the other hand, it has give me an idea  ...

--
Regards, Paul Herber, Sandrila Ltd
http://www.electronic-chip-packages.sandrila.co.uk/

2007 has many benefits, but I think you'd be unlikely to see any size
reduction in moving from 2003 to 2007.

My assumption is that the import process makes extravagant use of geometry
sections and or grouping, but I'd be happy to take a look a sample shape if
you like to send one over:

FirstName
AddADotInTheMiddle
LastName
@visualsignals.co.uk

> John,
>
> They are the .vss files.  They are getting rather large, approximately
> 750k
> each.  When you copy them multiple times on a drawing, the size of our
> .vsd
> files is getting to nearly 10M when you include all the other data.
>
> I am using Visio Professional 2003.  If there are benefits to 2007, I will
> have to see if we can all get upgraded.
>
> Peter
>
> "John Goldsmith" wrote:
>
>> Hello Peter,
>>
>> A few questions for you:
>>
>> When you say stencils, do you mean you've actually created .vss files
>> rather
>> than straight diagrams (.vsd)?
>>
>> How many Masters does your stencil contain and what is the size of the
>> file?
>>
>> Also, what version of Visio are you working with?
>>
>> Best regards
>>
>> John
>>

>> John Goldsmith
>> www.visualSignals.typepad.co.uk
>> www.visualSignals.co.uk
>>
>> "Peter J" <Peter J@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > We have created stencils from Autocad files from some suppliers.  They
>> > are
>> > nice looking but are very slow when trying edit them in any way.  Is
>> > there
>> > way to easily modify the Autocad files to simplify them without
>> > removing
>> > detail to decrease the files size associated with the stencils?  Are
>> > there
>> > attirbutes or underlying details that can be deleted?

The problem is not that the information is too detailed, it is that it is
not rendered efficiently. The conversion tends to create very primative
shapes. What appears as a box will in fact be four shapes representing the
four sides.

The file size can be used by using some of the Visio operations to join the
many component shapes into fewer shapes, but it can be time consuming.

John...    Visio MVP

Need stencils or ideas? http://visio.mvps.org/3rdparty.htm
Need VBA examples?   http://visio.mvps.org/VBA.htm
Visio Wishlist       http://visio.mvps.org/wish_list.htm
"Paul Herber" <SubstituteMyFirstNameHere@pherber.com> wrote in message
> On Wed, 7 Nov 2007 07:14:04 -0800, Peter J
> <PeterJ@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
>>Paul,
>>
>>The individual stencils or shapes are 500k to 750k.  They are of
>>electrical
>>panel components and can be complex, such as for I/O cards, relays, etc.
>>Some of them, such as GE I/O cards, etc are made of multiple little
>>pieces,
>>lines, etc.  You are correct, if you zoom in, the detail is great, but we
>>are
>>paying a price in terms of memory and sluggishness.
>>
>>I was hoping for a quick-fix so that we can still base our parts on
>>Autocad
>>drawings from vendors but that doesn't seem feasible right now.
>
> Unless Autocad can save in a less detailed format ....
>
> But, I would take a guess that 10-15 minutes work with each shape
> could reduce its complexity by a large amount, maybe a factor of 10.
> You might find that worth while.
> On the other hand, it has give me an idea  ...
>

> --
> Regards, Paul Herber, Sandrila Ltd
> http://www.electronic-chip-packages.sandrila.co.uk/

0
lancucki (505)
11/7/2007 4:43:47 PM
On Wed, 7 Nov 2007 07:14:04 -0800, Peter J
<PeterJ@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Paul,
>
>The individual stencils or shapes are 500k to 750k.  They are of electrical
>panel components and can be complex, such as for I/O cards, relays, etc.
>Some of them, such as GE I/O cards, etc are made of multiple little pieces,
>lines, etc.  You are correct, if you zoom in, the detail is great, but we are
>paying a price in terms of memory and sluggishness.
>
>I was hoping for a quick-fix so that we can still base our parts on Autocad
>drawings from vendors but that doesn't seem feasible right now.

Right, I have a quick fix you can try out.
http://www.visio-utilities.sandrila.co.uk/

and in the new menu
Shapes -> Remove small details from shape

I've tried it on some shapes imported from diagrams of control panels
from AutoCad and it reduced the file size by a factor of 5.

--
Regards, Paul Herber, Sandrila Ltd.
Electronics for Visio        http://www.electronics.sandrila.co.uk/

This utility might be the ticket.  I have tried it and can reduce the file
size by 3x to 5x and still have reasonable quality graphics.

John,

I will look into Autocad to see if there is a utility available there too.
These were made by others and I don't have Autocad personally, so I'll have
to get more help here.

Thanks to you both for you help!!

Peter

"Paul Herber" wrote:

> On Wed, 7 Nov 2007 07:14:04 -0800, Peter J
> <PeterJ@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >Paul,
> >
> >The individual stencils or shapes are 500k to 750k.  They are of electrical
> >panel components and can be complex, such as for I/O cards, relays, etc.
> >Some of them, such as GE I/O cards, etc are made of multiple little pieces,
> >lines, etc.  You are correct, if you zoom in, the detail is great, but we are
> >paying a price in terms of memory and sluggishness.
> >
> >I was hoping for a quick-fix so that we can still base our parts on Autocad
> >drawings from vendors but that doesn't seem feasible right now.
>
> Right, I have a quick fix you can try out.
> http://www.visio-utilities.sandrila.co.uk/
>
> and in the new menu
> Shapes -> Remove small details from shape
>
> I've tried it on some shapes imported from diagrams of control panels
> from AutoCad and it reduced the file size by a factor of 5.
>

> --
> Regards, Paul Herber, Sandrila Ltd.
> Electronics for Visio        http://www.electronics.sandrila.co.uk/

0
PeterJ (5)
11/8/2007 5:47:03 PM
I'm a bit late, i arrive after the battle but :
i have made a converter of my own that is more efficient than the visio
converter. It also can use DWG 2007 format.
what can be useful for you is that we have noticed for some drawing that the
size of the file could be 50% smaller than the same file obtained with visio
native converter. If you want i can try for one of your file.
It has also an interesting feature of filtering block that have more than x
entities (x can be changed by the user).

You can contact me on my personal email.

Enjoy with visio.

"Peter J" <PeterJ@discussions.microsoft.com> a écrit dans le message de
> Paul,
>
> This utility might be the ticket.  I have tried it and can reduce the file
> size by 3x to 5x and still have reasonable quality graphics.
>
> John,
>
> I will look into Autocad to see if there is a utility available there too.
> These were made by others and I don't have Autocad personally, so I'll
> have
> to get more help here.
>
> Thanks to you both for you help!!
>
> Peter
>
> "Paul Herber" wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 7 Nov 2007 07:14:04 -0800, Peter J
>> <PeterJ@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>>
>> >Paul,
>> >
>> >The individual stencils or shapes are 500k to 750k.  They are of
>> >electrical
>> >panel components and can be complex, such as for I/O cards, relays, etc.
>> >Some of them, such as GE I/O cards, etc are made of multiple little
>> >pieces,
>> >lines, etc.  You are correct, if you zoom in, the detail is great, but
>> >we are
>> >paying a price in terms of memory and sluggishness.
>> >
>> >I was hoping for a quick-fix so that we can still base our parts on
>> >Autocad
>> >drawings from vendors but that doesn't seem feasible right now.
>>
>> Right, I have a quick fix you can try out.
>> http://www.visio-utilities.sandrila.co.uk/
>>
>> and in the new menu
>> Shapes -> Remove small details from shape
>>
>> I've tried it on some shapes imported from diagrams of control panels
>> from AutoCad and it reduced the file size by a factor of 5.
>>

>> --
>> Regards, Paul Herber, Sandrila Ltd.
>> Electronics for Visio        http://www.electronics.sandrila.co.uk/

0
mich.laplane (167)

Exchange 5.5 Backup file sizes?
I use NTBackup (SBS 4.5) with DS\\... and IS\\... to backup the Exchange databases. When I look at the NTBackup.log file, it reports the Information Store size on tape is similar to the Priv.edb file on disk (approx 6.6GB) but the Directory is reported as 9.2gb. I can't find any equivalent files in the Exchsvr folders on disk - where's all this data coming from? TIA Tom Walker ...

Need to extrcat data from one Excel file to an other
Hi there I'm looking form a solution to press on button in a Excel sheet which ill exctract some datas from an other Excel sheet which can be close or opened. It should beworing on Windows XP, 2003, Vista and 7 as well with 32 bits and 64 bits. Thanks in avance for your advise and best regards Tra Browse through the example codes found at Ron de Bruin's site. http://www.rondebruin.nl/tips.htm Look at the 'Copy/paste/merge" section. Should be some good material to start with. Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP On Sat, 28 May 2011 19:53:03 +0200, Tra Sumaka <trasumak...

Make Excel upload files via FTP??
A few days ago I asked about creating files from a Excel worksheet that can be shared online. Someone suggested this VBA: http://www.meadinkent.co.uk/xladvhtml.htm I've been trying this and it works. Now I want to get Excel to run the VBA-code every time the file is closed, AND (and now comes the tricky part), to upload the created html-files to a FTP account. Every time the file is closed the macro "make_htm" should run, and get the files got created upload from the local folder, to a FTP account. Is this possible?? ...

Retrieving a file name quickly
In VC 6++ MFC, how do I quickly retreive the first file name (sorted ascending) from a directory? Should I be using CFileFind to get a list of file names from a directory and then sort the list? This doesn't seem to be efficent since I'm looking for one file name. >In VC 6++ MFC, how do I quickly retreive the first file name (sorted >ascending) from a directory? > >Should I be using CFileFind to get a list of file names from a directory and >then sort the list? This doesn't seem to be efficent since I'm looking for >one file name. Charles, That'...

How to read binary file created by non-MFC source?
I am a newbie working on a simple project for loading a binary file and displaying its byte-by-byte contents in interger equivalent. The file was created by some unknown source (presummably not MFC). I am using SDI/CScrollView interface and the file is supposed to be open under FILE/OPEN menu. At the beginning, I've been trying to include CString str; ar >> str; in void CMyProjectDoc::Serialize(CArchive &ar) as an attempt to put everything in str prior to converting every byte into interger. What happened was 1) The first byte (which is known to be a 92) was missing; and 2) ...

how to remove password pretected excel file
Hi, We use Excel 2003 on Windows XP. We have an user left company with a excel file password protected. My boss want to open it. How can I help my boss open this file? Any help will be appreciated! thanks in advance! Lisa In article <3A1869D6-5D90-47FC-AED7-C0170EB1C159@microsoft.com>, =?Utf-8?B?TGlzYQ==?= <Lisa@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Hi, > >We use Excel 2003 on Windows XP. We have an user left company with a excel >file password protected. My boss want to open it. How can I help my boss open >this file? > >Any help will be appreciated! Se...

File Repository Server Input is down 04-19-05
I found a few posts regarding this error but no responses so I decided to repost this since I'm am experiencing the exact same error. This started yesterday. We applied some security patches on Saturday...just the latest security patches released by Microsoft and rebooted. I don't think it's related but thought I shuold mention it anyway. When trying to run any report the following error is generated: Crystal Report Viewer File Repository Server Input is down restart of the Crystal Input File Repository Server and the Crystal Page Server lets us run a report once before t...

CtreeCtrl & item.iIntegral with manifest file not working correctly
Hi I working on a project and the tree items have different heights, i am changing the height with item.iIntegral see TVITEMEX Structure. Thats working perfect but if apply my application the manifest file for XP-Style see http://www.codeproject.com/macro/vc-xp.asp The tree lines are broken, is there a work around? If i remove the manifest files the tree control is working perfect.I want to use the XP-Style but also have the TreeCtrl working, any idea? I hope somebody can help me.... bye bye Lorenz Test Code i am using : m_tree is an CTreeCtrl; First call fillTree after that unequ...

Size of Excel Spreadsheet
Hello, I have a small Excel spreadsheet that I created by taking an old fil and deleting what I don't need. Now it consists of ONE sheet, n macros, no graphs, nothing but a few cells with simple formulas. But the size of the file is more than 14 Mo !!! Any idea why this can be the case ? Many thanks, pierr -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Hi see: http://www.contextures.com/xlfaqApp.html#Unused -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "Philippon >" <<Philippon.1bwnvy@excelforum-nospam.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:Philippon.1bwnvy@excelforum-no...

setting font size in dos
I am creating a text file which has to be send for printing in DOS format. How do i set the font size. please help and guide me. Best regards Vivek Vivek, To control font sizes printing from DOS, you'll have to send control codes to the printer during print-out (normally a series of unprintable characters). Those are specific for different brands, and you'll have to consult the manual for you printer. To avoid this hassle was one of the main benefits of Windows for us poor programmers :-))) Note also that when you print normal text, the printer will treat it as such, (and not as gr...

Hi all. I have an application in MFC Visual .NET which i want to load an help file. As default the ".HLP" help file is loaded and in order to load the ".chm" help file i overrided the WinHelp function in my CMainFrame class and call the HtmlHelp function in it. The code is: ::HtmlHelp(GetSafeHwnd(),"MyApp.chm",HH_DISPLAY_TOPIC,0); but it is not working. What am i doing wrong? Thanks for your help. Nir. In addition : It is working first, but if i open ?CFileDialog before the help, it is not working. I don't know if when the project was created, t...

Emails disappear when no pst file folder defined
O.k. I know that there has been a lot of post about this subject, but my case is somewhat different. Here is the setting: OS: Windows 2000 OL ver.: 2002 Environment: Exchange Server, Roaming profiles What happened: One user signs in to another PC, opens up his outlook, however, by default OL2002 is set to deliver mail to personal folder rather than to his exchange mailbox. Right before his eyes he sees his email disappear one by one. My Action plan: Go to the PC that he signed on where his email disappeared. Look at his profile folder which is C:\Documents and Settings\username\Local Settin...

Deleted mnyviewer.dll file
Okay...where to begin. I have MS Money 2002 Standard on my machine. Somehow, the mnyviewer.dll file got deleted. Hence, Money will not work. I was wondering what I could do to solve this? If anyone knows how to remedy this, then please e-mail me at: shaeville(removethis)@yahoo.com Thanks. Reinstall Money 2002? It won't hurt your .mny file. -- Regards Bob Peel, Microsoft MVP - Money For UK tips & fixes see http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;EN-GB;mny. For wishes or suggestions see http://register.microsoft.com/mswish/suggestion.asp or for UK wishes http://www.mic...

how can i apply a footer in every .exl file
plz give me solution for this question Open a new workbook and set your footers/headers and name the book as book.xlt and save it in your XLStart folder. When you click on the New Icon on the standard toolbar a new workbook will be opened based on this settings -- Jacob (MVP - Excel) "rakesh" wrote: > plz give me solution for this question You could use a template workbook (like Jacob suggests) for new workbooks. But that won't help you for existing sheets in existing workbooks. And the book.xlt workbook won't help for adding sheets to any work...

connect .OST file to user profile with new Exchange server
Hi, We're migrating from 5.5 to 2003 and the mail is NOT migrating on the server side; we have been told we must use .OST files to merge the mail (don't ask!). I have zero control over this migration, except for on the workstation side. We're trying to preserve existing user profiles, convert them to the new Exchange servers (with new servernames). We have to use Cached Exchange Mode prior to and immediately after the migration to "migrate" user mail. I know this is a horrible way to migrate mail, please don't get me started on that. When I use the CMW to upd...

File sizes
Hello; Why would .doc and .rtf versions of the same Word file be significantly different sizes? 176 Kb vs 704 Kb respectively as an example. Also why would minor text changes in a .doc document change it from 176 Kb to 252 Kb while the .rtf version of the latter remains 704 Kb? Curious. Chris I think I can answer my own question. ..doc files are MSWord files and rely on the coding inherent in the program. ..rtf files are more generic and contain code that make the file more self-sufficient to be opened by more applications. I think. Chris Hi Chris, Those are good questions. >&g...

What converter do I need to change my QPW files to work in Excel 2
I had Quattro Pro (about 2003 -2004) on my computer when my hard drive crashed now I have Excel 2003. What converter do I need to change my QPW files to work in Excel 2003? puzzled Maybe the following will help....depending upon version of QP, I believe. You need the Quattro Pro convertors from MS. http://office.microsoft.com/en-ca/results.aspx?Scope=DC&Query=quattro+pro Then read this from Jim Rech http://snipurl.com/cz3x Gord Dibben Excel MVP On Mon, 12 Dec 2005 06:46:04 -0800, "puzzled" <puzzled @discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I had Quattro Pro (about...

Where is the "Import-Export" option on the File menu for Outlook 2
I am trying to create a CSV file to enable me to downloand contacts. I have read numerous times that one uses the "Import and Export" function on the File menu. But, my Outlook '07 v 12.0.6514 does not have that option. I have even seen screen shots showing it (its between "data file management" and "archive") but it doesn't exist in my File menu. Does anyone know where to find "Import and Export"? In my copy it is under 'File' menu "david g" wrote: > I am trying to create a CSV file to enable me to downlo...

Importing files
I got the marco: Sub load_file() ' ' load_file Macro In need to make a marco that loads different files on the excel spreadsheet. I got this marco to load a spefic file but I need one that will open a select or clicked on file. any help would be great. Workbooks.OpenText Filename:= _ "C:\Documents and Settings\rwhitfield\My Documents\Cap Test Evaluation\JG02\Test Data\52551-001b_jg02 cap retest_200507211316-0.dat" _ , Origin:=xlWindows, StartRow:=1, DataType:=xlDelimited, TextQualifier _ :=xlDoubleQuote, ConsecutiveDelimiter:=False, Tab:=True, Semicolon:= _ False, Comma:=F...

sending Access files
Is there a quick and easy way to send access files without Outlook blocking them. I exchange files with a limited selection of people so am happy that what I am sending and receiving is OK. I know that I can use WizZip but the knowledge database also suggests changing the .mdb extension. I don't know how to do this. Do I just right click over the file and choose open with Word? Or maybe there is a simpler way. Thanks When you send a file type that on Microsoft's potentially dangerous list, you get a message informing you that the recipient may not be able to access the file on...

Convert oab file to xls, pst or txt
Hello, is there a way to convert a *.oab-file (offline addressbook) to another format like *.xls or *.txt? Or can i convert a *.oab file to a *.pst file? Thanks Pit ...

Help file book?
Hello, Can anyone recommend a good MS HTML v2.0 help file book, web site, or news group? Thanks, Jacques Jacques, > Can anyone recommend a good MS HTML v2.0 help file > book, web site, or news group? Are you referring to Microsoft's Help 2.0 (.HxS) format? If so, here are some good resources: http://helpware.net/FAR/help/msh2_primer.htm http://helpware.net/mshelp2/h2faq.htm http://www.mshelpwiki.com/index.php?page=Help2 http://www.winwriters.com/mshelp.htm http://groups.yahoo.com/group/MSHelp2 Other than the MSHelp2 group on Yahoo, the best newsgroups for help-related question...

Where do I find the design mode in the File menu?
I'm creating a project to be used by other students. I'm creating the teacher's key first, with all the answers underlined. I want to create a student use version with only the underlines where the answers should go. I'm using Microsoft Word 2007 on Windows Vista. (Which may be part of the problem.) -- Jim Flowers There isn't any File menu in Word2007. If you're looking to create a form, then add the Developer tab to your Ribbon -- for some reason, you'll find it as an option under Office Button > Word Options > Popular. On Mar 18, 11:09...

How to recalculate message size?
Please help... How do you get Outlook to "recalculate" message size? Example: original message has only 2K worth of text plus a large attachment file, which stores as 1MB. Then large attachment is deleted, but message still stores as 1MB instead of original 2K. "jett" <jettfree@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:08c701c366b5$f4e52ec0$a101280a@phx.gbl > Please help... How do you get Outlook to "recalculate" > message size? Example: original message has only 2K > worth of text plus a large attachment file, which stores > as 1MB. Then large...

User settings and config files
This is not exactly a C# question by my app is in C# and I'm new to .Net. In my development and testing cycle I frequently must delete folders similar to "C:\Documents and Settings\user\Local Settings\Application Data\company\program.vshost.exe*". I'm afraid this may become a problem after deployment too. How do I deal with these user settings files? One version of my app is deployed with only the default settings. The same version may be deployed a second or third time on the same PC but with program.exe.config files containing settings that override the defau...