Shape always on top?

Is there a way (perhaps in the shapesheet) to make a symbol be "always
on top" of any other symbols in the drawing?

0
justward (1)
3/30/2007 3:32:29 PM
visio 3638 articles. 1 followers. Follow

On 30 Mar 2007 08:32:29 -0700, justward@gmail.com wrote:

>Is there a way (perhaps in the shapesheet) to make a symbol be "always
>on top" of any other symbols in the drawing?

not in the shapesheet, but

manually, from the menu
Shape | Bring to Front

or in code
shape.BringToFront

--
Regards, Paul Herber, Sandrila Ltd.
Electronics for Visio        http://www.electronics.sandrila.co.uk/
Ward@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Paul,
>Thanks for the response, but let me clarify... I need the shape to always be
>on top of everything else. If I drop a new symbol into the drawing, I need
>the pre-exisiting shape to stay on top, in spite of the new symbol that i
>added.

I don't think there is a simple way to do that. Normally, a new shape
would need to be on top so that it can be seen, selected and edited.

One option might be to write a Visio add-on that used the ShapeAdded
event to reduce the Z-order of any added shape (except for your one
special shape).
How to write a Visio add-on is explained in detail in the Visio SDK.

--
Regards, Paul Herber, Sandrila Ltd.
Electronics for Visio        http://www.electronics.sandrila.co.uk/
Hey JW,

Another option would be using foreground and background pages. In this case,
your "main page" would actually need to be a background of your "special
page". You would assign the "main page" to be a background of "special
page" -- everything that is drawin on "special page" will be in front of
"main page".

All of this is done by right-clicking the page tabs at the bottom of a
window, and also via File > Page Setup > Page Properties.

Not super-elegant, but it might work for what you need to do.

--
Hope this helps,

Chris Roth
Visio MVP

Free Visio shapes:
  http://www.visguy.com/category/shapes
Visio programming info:
  http://www.visguy.com/category/programming/
Other Visio resources:
  http://www.visguy.com/visio-links/

"Paul Herber" <SubstituteMyFirstNameHere@pherber.com> wrote in message
> On Fri, 30 Mar 2007 10:34:00 -0700, Justin Ward <Justin
> Ward@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
>>Paul,
>>Thanks for the response, but let me clarify... I need the shape to always
>>be
>>on top of everything else. If I drop a new symbol into the drawing, I need
>>the pre-exisiting shape to stay on top, in spite of the new symbol that i
>>added.
>
> I don't think there is a simple way to do that. Normally, a new shape
> would need to be on top so that it can be seen, selected and edited.
>
> One option might be to write a Visio add-on that used the ShapeAdded
> event to reduce the Z-order of any added shape (except for your one
> special shape).
> How to write a Visio add-on is explained in detail in the Visio SDK.
>

> --
> Regards, Paul Herber, Sandrila Ltd.
> Electronics for Visio        http://www.electronics.sandrila.co.uk/

0
Chris
4/2/2007 2:42:11 AM
Hello guy's

I'm sorry but i have a simpler solution.
    Catch the OnShapeAdded event (VBA or addin or VDC) on your shape and use
the method "SendToBack" : myShape.SendToBack.

Am i wrong or is there a chance that i might be a genius ?

"Chris Roth [MVP]" <visioguy [at] hotmail [dot] com> a �crit dans le message
de news: %23b33HCNdHHA.4516@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
> Hey JW,
>
> Another option would be using foreground and background pages. In this
> case, your "main page" would actually need to be a background of your
> "special page". You would assign the "main page" to be a background of
> "special page" -- everything that is drawin on "special page" will be in
> front of "main page".
>
> All of this is done by right-clicking the page tabs at the bottom of a
> window, and also via File > Page Setup > Page Properties.
>
> Not super-elegant, but it might work for what you need to do.
>
> --
> Hope this helps,
>
> Chris Roth
> Visio MVP
>
> Free Visio shapes:
>  http://www.visguy.com/category/shapes
> Visio programming info:
>  http://www.visguy.com/category/programming/
> Other Visio resources:
>  http://www.visguy.com/visio-links/
>
> "Paul Herber" <SubstituteMyFirstNameHere@pherber.com> wrote in message
>> On Fri, 30 Mar 2007 10:34:00 -0700, Justin Ward <Justin
>> Ward@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>>
>>>Paul,
>>>Thanks for the response, but let me clarify... I need the shape to always
>>>be
>>>on top of everything else. If I drop a new symbol into the drawing, I
>>>need
>>>the pre-exisiting shape to stay on top, in spite of the new symbol that i
>>>added.
>>
>> I don't think there is a simple way to do that. Normally, a new shape
>> would need to be on top so that it can be seen, selected and edited.
>>
>> One option might be to write a Visio add-on that used the ShapeAdded
>> event to reduce the Z-order of any added shape (except for your one
>> special shape).
>> How to write a Visio add-on is explained in detail in the Visio SDK.
>>

>> --
>> Regards, Paul Herber, Sandrila Ltd.
>> Electronics for Visio        http://www.electronics.sandrila.co.uk/

0
mich.laplane (167)
4/2/2007 1:23:49 PM
Michel,
Good to see that you are still a very humble gent!
I use a similar event to to your suggestion, but, of course, the last shape
added may not be the one you need to keep on top, so you probably need to
hold a collection of shapes that always need to be on top, so that you just
bring them to front whenever anything else is added.
If this collection needs to be persisted between Visio sessions, then you
could use a custom cell value, or a a layer (sounds best), or a SoultionXML
section.

"Michel LAPLANE" <mich.laplane@wanadoo.fr> wrote in message
> Hello guy's
>
> I'm sorry but i have a simpler solution.
>    Catch the OnShapeAdded event (VBA or addin or VDC) on your shape and
> use the method "SendToBack" : myShape.SendToBack.
>
> Am i wrong or is there a chance that i might be a genius ?
>
> "Chris Roth [MVP]" <visioguy [at] hotmail [dot] com> a �crit dans le
> message de news: %23b33HCNdHHA.4516@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
>> Hey JW,
>>
>> Another option would be using foreground and background pages. In this
>> case, your "main page" would actually need to be a background of your
>> "special page". You would assign the "main page" to be a background of
>> "special page" -- everything that is drawin on "special page" will be in
>> front of "main page".
>>
>> All of this is done by right-clicking the page tabs at the bottom of a
>> window, and also via File > Page Setup > Page Properties.
>>
>> Not super-elegant, but it might work for what you need to do.
>>
>> --
>> Hope this helps,
>>
>> Chris Roth
>> Visio MVP
>>
>> Free Visio shapes:
>>  http://www.visguy.com/category/shapes
>> Visio programming info:
>>  http://www.visguy.com/category/programming/
>> Other Visio resources:
>>  http://www.visguy.com/visio-links/
>>
>> "Paul Herber" <SubstituteMyFirstNameHere@pherber.com> wrote in message

>>> I don't think there is a simple way to do that. Normally, a new shape
>>> would need to be on top so that it can be seen, selected and edited.
>>>
>>> One option might be to write a Visio add-on that used the ShapeAdded
>>> event to reduce the Z-order of any added shape (except for your one
>>> special shape).
>>> How to write a Visio add-on is explained in detail in the Visio SDK.
>>>

>>> --
>>> Regards, Paul Herber, Sandrila Ltd.
>>> Electronics for Visio        http://www.electronics.sandrila.co.uk/

0
davidp1 (199)
4/3/2007 1:00:26 PM
David,

    Thank you for your answer.
   I think i must work and learn a bit more.

"David Parker" <davidp@bvisual.net> a �crit dans le message de news:
%23NtORAfdHHA.4696@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
> Michel,
> Good to see that you are still a very humble gent!
> I use a similar event to to your suggestion, but, of course, the last
> shape added may not be the one you need to keep on top, so you probably
> need to hold a collection of shapes that always need to be on top, so that
> you just bring them to front whenever anything else is added.
> If this collection needs to be persisted between Visio sessions, then you
> could use a custom cell value, or a a layer (sounds best), or a
> SoultionXML section.
>
> "Michel LAPLANE" <mich.laplane@wanadoo.fr> wrote in message
>> Hello guy's
>>
>> I'm sorry but i have a simpler solution.
>>    Catch the OnShapeAdded event (VBA or addin or VDC) on your shape and
>> use the method "SendToBack" : myShape.SendToBack.
>>
>> Am i wrong or is there a chance that i might be a genius ?
>>
>> "Chris Roth [MVP]" <visioguy [at] hotmail [dot] com> a �crit dans le
>> message de news: %23b33HCNdHHA.4516@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
>>> Hey JW,
>>>
>>> Another option would be using foreground and background pages. In this
>>> case, your "main page" would actually need to be a background of your
>>> "special page". You would assign the "main page" to be a background of
>>> "special page" -- everything that is drawin on "special page" will be in
>>> front of "main page".
>>>
>>> All of this is done by right-clicking the page tabs at the bottom of a
>>> window, and also via File > Page Setup > Page Properties.
>>>
>>> Not super-elegant, but it might work for what you need to do.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Hope this helps,
>>>
>>> Chris Roth
>>> Visio MVP
>>>
>>> Free Visio shapes:
>>>  http://www.visguy.com/category/shapes
>>> Visio programming info:
>>>  http://www.visguy.com/category/programming/
>>> Other Visio resources:
>>>  http://www.visguy.com/visio-links/
>>>
>>> "Paul Herber" <SubstituteMyFirstNameHere@pherber.com> wrote in message

0
mich.laplane (167)
4/3/2007 2:59:05 PM
On Fri, 30 Mar 2007 10:34:00 -0700, Justin Ward <Justin
Ward@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Paul,
>Thanks for the response, but let me clarify... I need the shape to always be
>on top of everything else. If I drop a new symbol into the drawing, I need
>the pre-exisiting shape to stay on top, in spite of the new symbol that i
>added.

I've finally got around to looking at this, I've written an addon that
can keep shapes on top.
http://www.mezzo-for-visio.sandrila.co.uk/

--
Regards, Paul Herber, Sandrila Ltd.
http://www.sandrila.co.uk/              http://www.pherber.com/

Show different address on the top left side of the sop invoice
Hi, Our company has two different sales locations. How can I show the correct address information on the SOP invoice when sales is from these two sites? I am not talking about ship to and bill to address of customers. Here I want to deal with the company address. Thanks, Gavin ...

Change Shape text / Color
Am trying to find out how to change the text of a shape with Excel 2007. So far have: ActiveSheet.Shapes(Application.Caller).OLEFormat.Object.Text = "CIP" which works, but was expecting just shapes().text or .caption, neither of which work. Is there a shorter form way of changing the text? Also, with a linear gradient for the colour(color) of the shape, can set the fore and back colours, but not sure how to set the Main colour: ActiveSheet.Shapes(Application.Caller).Fill.BackColor.RGB = RGB(255, 153, 0) ActiveSheet.Shapes(Application.Caller).Fill.ForeCo...

imc always stopping
Hi, since a week, my imc is stopping by itself almost every day and sometimes many times a day with an event ID 7031 Event Type: Event Source: Service Control Manager Event Category: None Event ID: 7031 Date: 2005-01-14 Time: 13:04:37 User: N/A Computer: EXCHANGE Description: The Microsoft Exchange Internet Mail Service service terminated unexpectedly. It has done this 3 time(s). The following corrective action will be taken in 0 milliseconds: No action. --------------------------------------------------- my version of msexcimc is 5.5.2657.72 , is someone able to help me to fix th...

Top 10 Items
I would like in the report of Top Items to be able to see only the first 10 items either by quantity sold or amount, or top 20, or top 100. This in the HQ report consolidated by stores. How could I generate this report. Thank you, -- Irina Stanca Halo! I am student! ...

CSplitterWnd: top row height is zero...
Hello, I want ceate a splitter window with 2 rows and within the top row i want split it again in two columns. So that it looks like the follow: +-----------+---------------------------------------+ | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | +-----------+------...

I cannot enter information in excel sheet, info bounces to top
I am entering information into an excel sheet and it bounces to the top of the worksheet and overrites information. This sheet has alot of formulas in it and some of the cells are locked. I checked to make sure they are not locked and I tried the Turn automatic completion of cell entries off but that also did not work Right-click the pesky worksheet tab, and click 'View Code'. Is there some VBA code in the window that opens? -- Ryan--- If this information was helpful, please indicate this by clicking ''Yes''. "Ambitious Angela" wrote: ...

How to draw text always visible
Hi NG, I Have program which is drawing objects(PIPES)using the OPENGL. The labels for the for the PIPE is drawing using the GDI. The text colour for the labels is same that of the objects. The labels are usually positioned at out side of the pipe so that it will be visible always. But while rotating there are possibilities that the labels and objects coincide. I want to set the labels always visible with respect to the back ground colour. I used SetRop2() but it has no effect. Any help would be greatly appreciated Best regards Raghuram.k ...

Two charts, one on top with transparent chart area
I would like to take two charts, placing one on top of the other with the top chart having a transparent chart area (As though I were laying one overhead transparency on top of the other). I can't seem to find a way to make the chart area transparent. Selecting "None" for the chart border and area leaves a white background. Any ideas? Thanks! Nyle Elison nyle_elison@byu.edu You should also format the plot area with None for area and borders. Jon Peltier has some code to align charts: http://www.geocities.com/jonpeltier/Excel/Charts/AlignCharts.html Nyle Elison wro...

NDR Help
Hi, I hope someone can help on this. A few people have complained they cannot e-mail to us always. They get an NDR. This is very intermittent it seems and not everyone is affected. They have forwarded the NDR they have received. I've attached it below. I can't work out if our mail server has sent that to them or if it is generated by their company e-mail server. This happens mainly with one company but i think it has happened to some others as well - i can't be sure but the one company mainly (or even only). It is odd in that they can e-mail and get through then do it aga...

How to simulate a click into a textbox (shapes)
Hi, I have a macro that is execute when I click on a textbox using .OnAction = "'Macro1". After the Execution of Macro1, I would like to activate the box as if there was no macro. (cursor flickering in the box). Thank you! Alex -- Alex St-Pierre Sub testMacro() Dim shp As Shape Set shp = ActiveSheet.Shapes(Application.Caller) ' doStuff MsgBox "now put the cursor in the textframe.." shp.Select End Sub Regards, Peter T "Alex St-Pierre" <AlexStPierre@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:FC1E3...

How to sort data in Xl by adding a row at top
Dear Sir, How to sort data in Excel by adding a row at top ie sorting by row and not by column as is normally done? A row has nine columns. eg due date, s. no., bank, holder, amount, when given for renewal, renewed due date, renewed amount etc Regards, A V Joshi EggHeadCafe - Software Developer Portal of Choice WPF And The Model View View Model Pattern http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorials/aspnet/ec832ac7-6e4c-4ea8-81ab-7374d3da3425/wpf-and-the-model-view-vi.aspx ...

How can I rotate objects in draw without changing shape?
When I make an object in excel draw the object changes shape. ie. square becomes rectangle, circle become oval. I wish them to remain as I drew them. That is what happens when you hold down SHIFT as you make the drawing. Do you have a wandering digit? best wishes -- Bernard V Liengme Microsoft Excel MVP http://people.stfx.ca/bliengme remove caps from email "oldgunnersmate" <oldgunnersmate@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:2646F058-D290-48A7-9CBC-EAEFD64C0DDD@microsoft.com... > When I make an object in excel draw the object changes shape. ie. square > b...

changing shape of picture
I want to change an image from rectangular to oval or round. How do I do that in Publisher? I can't seem to find a straightforward way to accomplish this. I'm using Publisher 2002. Thanks, Brenda Hi Brenda, Using Microsoft Publisher 2002: 1. Draw an Autoshape that matches your prefered shaped (from the object toolbar on the left side of your Publisher window) 2. Right click on this shape and choose Format Autoshape 3. Under the Colors and Lines Tab, go to the Color Fill and choose Fill Effects 4. Now choose the Picture tab. Browse to your picture and click ok. Brian Kvalhe...

Keep it from going to the top of the sheet.
I would like to know if it’s possible to keep what I want to past in excl from going to the top of the page. Like I want to put a picture in row 700 and when I click on paste the picture goes to row one. So I have to drag it down to the row that I want it on. Would appreciate your suggestions. In the destination sheet, try selecting the cell first (e.g. A700), then click to paste -- Rgds Max xl 97 --- Singapore, GMT+8 xdemechanik http://savefile.com/projects/236895 -- "Art" <Art@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:4E36CACA-35AD-4E5D-99FA-D09D529A35B2@microso...

Top Values in a column
Hi there, I have a column of values (E3:E50) and I want to list below this column, in a cell (lets say E52) the SUM of the top 5 highest values. The glitch (as there always is one) is that I don't want every cell to be considered - I only want, for example, E5, E8, E11, E14, E17, E20, E23, E26, E29, E32, E35, E38, E41, E44, E47 & E50 to be included. Is there a way to do this? Whilst I mention it - would there be a way, with conditional formatting perhaps, that any cell in that selection (E5, E8, E11, etc.) that IS a top 5 value - could it become a different colour? Any help would ...

How do I change one shape into another shape in Microsoft visio?
Good day. I have created a bunch of flowcharts in visio 2002. I have used the shapes from the stencils provided. I now want to convert on shape into another shape. For example I want to change the shape I used for 'IF' statements from a plane rectangular box to a diamond shape. 1). Is there away to transform from one shape taken from the stencil to another shape existing in the stencil? 2). If so, can this be done globally. (i.e. can I apply this change to every occurance of that particular shape in the document, so as to transform it into the new shape)? I really appreciate ...

Auto Filter Top 10
Using XP and Office 2003 Column A has a list of budget categories like "Administration" and "Payroll" and "Building Maintenance." Column B has the specific line item account breakdowns within each category. Column C has the actual expenditure amount in dollars and cents. I selected my column titles and applied the Auto Filter. I can filter by Column C to show the top 10 line items (those items on which we spent the most money.) When I filter Column A to just show me the Administration category, then try to apply the filter to Column C to show the top 10 ...

Select the Top 20 within a formula
How can I select the top 20 within a formula so that I can =sum( ~~ select top 20 from a range I$56:I100~~ ) -- Bryan Hessey ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Bryan Hessey's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=21059 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=385482 Try this ... =SUMIF(I$56:I100,">"&LARGE(I$56:I100,21)) Rgds, ScottO "Bryan Hessey" <Bryan.Hessey.1ru1qb_1120795506.9867@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote in message news:Bryan.Hessey.1ru1qb_112...

Text inserting in Shapes
Is there are shapes in visio that text can be inserted in the top and bottom of the shape (in two locations). I see shapes that appear to have space for two sections but I can not insert text into both locations - it only allows text in one slot or the other but not both. Is there a specific shape or a trick to changing the characteristics of a shape to allow for a shape to enter text in two locations? Any Visio shape can have a single text block A shape can be a group of other shapes A text block can be edited to be a different size and rotation to the bounding rectangle of the shape i...

Web Service always fails when called
Hello, I'm trying to use a web service from my C++ app. For testing purposes, I created the simple web service in VS2005: [WebMethod] public int Sum(int num1, int num2) { return (num1+num2); } I tested it firstly using asp.net and it worked fine. To make this test, I created a web site in IIS so I could test using http://localhost/webservice/WSTest.asmx Following that, I created a console app, added a web reference to the above URL (which showed my Sum() method) coded: int _tmain(int argc, _TCHAR* argv[]) { if(SUCCEEDED(CoInitialize(NULL))) { WSTest::CWSTest obj; HRESULT ...

Inserting shapes on a diagnal plane.
I am creating crossword problems and creating solution pages. I can not figure out how to insert a shape on the diagnal. Pls help. -- Thank you, Sam Insert the "shape", select the shape, place cursor on the "green" handle, press left mouse button, drag to rotate. Muskratsam wrote: > I am creating crossword problems and creating solution pages. I can not > figure out how to insert a shape on the diagnal. Pls help. Thank you Bob! You made a huge improvement in my puzzles. -- Thank you, Sam "Bob I" wrote: > Insert the "...

Rows to Repeat on Top of everypage EXCEPT for two pages
I am publishing a price book that has a cover page and seven pages where I want the rows to repeat at the top and a final page. I do not want the "repeat at top" to work on the cover page or the final page. Try this: 1) present the Sheet by Page Layout (in order to show the page numbers a water marks). 2) Select the to be printed range from page 2 until page n-1. 3) Go to file > page definition > declare the rows to be repeated + The renge to be printed (from page 2 to page n-1). 4) After Printing all pages with the repeated lines + go and print page 1 and p...

When I start Notes, always showed "Runtime Error!" why?
I use outlook2000. Each time when I start the "Notes", it always showed "Runtime Error! abnormal program termination" , then the OL shut down.I repaired the office 2000, but it didn't work. Who can tell me why? TKS a lots. Litchee <wonfer@hotmail.com> wrote: > I use outlook2000. Each time when I start the "Notes", it always > showed "Runtime Error! abnormal program termination" , then the OL > shut down.I repaired the office 2000, but it didn't work. > Who can tell me why? TKS a lots. I can't tell you why, but you ma...

Add and edit a shape in VBA
Hi, I have written code to add a rectangle and a line in VBA. When I run the code it sometimes works fine. If I use F8 to step through the code the code to add the line works fine but not if I run the code as usual. The problem with the rectangle is that the text is not inserted into the rectangle. What is wrong with the code? Sub Shapes() Dim Comment As String Dim Serie_no Dim Point_no Dim Left__no Dim Top_no Serie_no = 3 Point_no = 3 ' Text from a name range Comment = Range("Comment_txt") Sheets("Chart")....

Want Users Cursor To Always Go To Beginning Of Field
How can I ensure that when a user is navigating the fields in a form I created, and not simply hitting tab or enter, that their cursor will always go to the very beginning (far left) in a field? if they are using the mouse to click in a text box and you want to ensure the cursor starts at the beginning, then put this code in the On Click event of the text box: Me.Text0.SelStart = 0 ...