Referencing an excel 'cell' value on the shapesheet screen

I have a value in an excel spreadsheet, Test.xls for example at cell 'A1',
that I want to use in the PinX field of a shapesheet.  How do I reference the
excel sheet in the shapesheet window?  I tried to use
='Path\[Test.xls]Sheet1'!A1 to do this but it didn't work.

Thanks for all your help.

0
Fred1060 (110)
10/16/2006 3:42:02 PM
visio 3638 articles. 1 followers. Follow

Hi Fred,

That's a cool idea and it makes perfect sense, but...

I know the ShapeSheet looks like Excel, but unfortunately, you can't do this
directly. You could write some automation code that might be able to do some
sort of linking, but this capability isn't built in.

--
Hope this helps,

Chris Roth
Visio MVP

More Visio shapes, articles, development info and pure diagramming fun at:
www.visguy.com

"Fred" <Fred@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have a value in an excel spreadsheet, Test.xls for example at cell 'A1',
> that I want to use in the PinX field of a shapesheet.  How do I reference
> the
> excel sheet in the shapesheet window?  I tried to use
> ='Path\[Test.xls]Sheet1'!A1 to do this but it didn't work.
>
> Thanks for all your help.

0
Chris

excel viewer #2
Won't microsoft provide a simple, small and fresh Excel Viewer? Version 97/2k is obsolete, using the 100% of processor time and simply: it's not good. I think not everybody buys Excel and Office so there should be always fresh viewers (like Adobe Acrobat Reader, etc) best regards, on "on" <on@vnet.hu> wrote in message news:O1DNPQveEHA.3988@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl... > Won't microsoft provide a simple, small and fresh Excel Viewer? > Version 97/2k is obsolete, using the 100% of processor time > and simply: it's not good. > I think not everybody buys ...

convert Quatro pro into Excel 2003
Help I am trying to convert Quattro Pro documents into Word Excel 2003, it doesn't seem to want to play, I have tried all the Microsoft Convertors but they don't seem to work on 2003 Excel, has anyone managed to do this? If so how? Hope you can help Ruth I have no idea if something like this would work http://www.dataviz.com/products/conversionsplus/index.html you might want to contact them, another way might be to find someone with Quattro Pro (WordPerfect Office) and save the files in a format Excel can read -- Regards, Peo Sjoblom (No private emails please, for everyone...

How to reduce excel file size having pivot tables
Hi, I am developing a C# application to create Excel Pivot tables. I have developed the same by using methods in the Microsoft.Office.Interop.Excel. But the size of the output excel files is too large. Is there any option to reduce the file size. Given below the code used to generate Excel File . private string CreateReport(Excel.Application xlApp, string queryReports, string reportPath) { try { bool IsErrorInWorkBook = false; string strGrandTotal = null; FileInfo fpPubReports = new FileInfo(...

How can I open an Access adp file from excel?
I am basically tryi8ng open the database of aan *adp project to be able to manunally work on the tables. Ultematerly I would like to upsize the data base to sql. Wen we double click to open the *adp using access, the application opens, but we can't work the menus to access the database. I understand the *.adp can be opened from excel. In any case, how can we get to the tables? We'd like to re-write the front end, but wopuld like to safe the db design time. Thanks ...

formula not replaced by value
Friends Some time formula will not be replaced by values as shown below, even after hitting 'ENTER' What may be the reason A B C D +BS ^ =CONCATENATE(A1,(REPT(C1,31- LEN(A1))),B1) SUBID 000000000013 ^ Thank you Babu ------------------------------------------------ ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com/ ~~View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ Your cell with the formula is probably formatted as "text". Try to change it to at least general. (J...

why does excel ignore page formating after selecting rows to repe.
I have a Pivot table to which I wish to print excluding the "Page" items but include the Table headings. I have also set the document to print 1 page wide by up to 999 pages tall. It previews fine except for when I select the table headings (row $3$3) to be repeated at the top. After I make that selection, the preview shows all the data being printed on only 5 pages instead of 31. I don't know what I am missing to cause this unexpected result. ...

Picklist values #2
Is there a way to display a chosen picklist value from the lead entity in the account entity when the lead is converted to an account? I don't want to have to maintain two picklists just to view the value after the lead is converted. You can get only value through mapping and mapping betweent two field require some validation like both field should have same datatype so if you want to get this value you have to create same picklist in account and then you can set mapping for the same "Wendy" wrote: > Is there a way to display a chosen picklist value from the lead ent...

copy trendline logarithmic constants to a cell
Is it possible to copy trendline logarithmic constants to a cell for further calculations. For my enhancements to Dave Braden's code to do the needful: http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.excel.charting/msg/0eda30f29 434786d?hl=en& To get the results directly in a worksheet: Trendline Coefficients and Regression Analysis http://www.tushar-mehta.com/excel/tips/trendline_coefficients.htm -- Regards, Tushar Mehta www.tushar-mehta.com Excel, PowerPoint, and VBA add-ins, tutorials Custom MS Office productivity solutions In article <798491F6-A322-46C1-BBB0-0EF43CDD47FC...

Filling blanks up with values from other cels?
I have a problem. I want to write a text into a cel. The text has several gaps whic should be filled up whit the contents of other cels. I tried th mathematic functions, but that doesn't work. Let me explain by giving an example: Text: Excel is a programm developped by "contents of D3" and runs unde "contents of G7", but there is also a version for "contents of K1". Can somebody help me out -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com On Wed, 7 Jul 2004 18:53:34 -0500, Flemisch lion <<Flemisch.lion.191sr8@excelforum-nospam.com>> wrote: ...

I Need to divide all cells in rows 2 and 3 by 100
Merry Christmas, I need to divide all cells in rows 2 and 3 by 100. Anybody know a way to do this? put 100 in a cell, copy it, select row 2 and 3, do edit>paste special and check divide Regards, Peo Sjoblom "Brent E" wrote: > Merry Christmas, > > I need to divide all cells in rows 2 and 3 by 100. Anybody know a way to do > this? Put "=1/3" in a cell and then select it, copy, then select rows 2 and 3 and click edit | paste special | multiply. "Brent E" wrote: > Merry Christmas, > > I need to divide all cells in rows 2 and 3 b...

Are there any excel template for creating POIs for Garmin units
I'm looking for a template in which I can create points of interest for a Garmin 340c. Not that I know of but have you tried the free POI software from Garmin? http://www8.garmin.com/products/poiloader/ Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP On Sat, 21 Jul 2007 11:24:00 -0700, Fremen <Fremen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I'm looking for a template in which I can create points of interest for a >Garmin 340c. ...

How do you create dual drop down menus in excel 2000?
I can create a single drop down menu, but need to add a qualifier next to lists on menu. HELP!!!!!! If drop-down created with Data Validation>List, check out Debra Dalgleish's site for dependent lists. http://www.contextures.on.ca/xlDataVal02.html Gord Dibben Excel MVP On Tue, 11 Jan 2005 10:51:03 -0800, "Phlashh" <Phlashh@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I can create a single drop down menu, but need to add a qualifier next to >lists on menu. HELP!!!!!! ...

add values using vlookup over multi sheets
I have a workbook which contains about 20 worksheets. In sheet1 I have a list of numbers which could be also on the other 19 sheets. What I need to do is look at each of the other 19 sheets to see if they have the number which is on sheet1 and if so I need to get the numerical data in the 5th column to be returned and added together. ie sheet1 a1 = 2001 sheet4 a5 = 2001 e5 = 2 sheet6 a21 = 2001 e21 = 5 therefore sheet1 b1 = e5 + e21 = 7 Hopefully someone could help me. Thanks Noemi Try... =SUMPRODUCT(SUMIF(INDIRECT("Sheet"&ROW(INDIRECT("2:20"))&&q...

multiple 3D equations in one excel surface chart
hi all i'm trying to draw in excel multiple 3d equtions(x,y,z) inside of one excel surface chart does anyone have simple way of doing it i have the link for one equation chart but from there i'm little bit lost http://www.tushar-mehta.com/excel/charts/3d_surface/ What's the problem? If your data is of 3D type, just plot it as such. -- Ryan--- If this information was helpful, please indicate this by clicking ''Yes''. "thread" wrote: > hi all > i'm trying to draw in excel multiple 3d equtions(x,y,z) inside of one > excel...

VB code to import Excel sheet
I'm looking for the VB code to copy an Excel Sheet to an Access 2007 table. The sheet in is a know location. I also want to clear the Access table prior to importing the Excel Sheet. Thanks Take a look at what Ken Snell has at http://www.accessmvp.com/KDSnell/EXCEL_Import.htm -- Doug Steele, Microsoft Access MVP http://I.Am/DougSteele (no e-mails, please!) "BobC" <Bob.CallenNoSpamm@cox.net> wrote in message news:TBgZm.57278$ZF3.39461@newsfe13.iad... > I'm looking for the VB code to copy an Excel Sheet to an Access 2007 > table. The she...

Excel
When using MS Works I can enter letters and numbers in a cell and the total of the cells in a row will be calculated correctly(for my particular requirement) by ignoring anyone of the cells in the row which has letters and numbers together. All the cells are formated as 'General'. When I try to do this task in Excel it gives an error in the result cell. Note that any cell may have a mixture of letters and cells. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you James Submitted via EggHeadCafe - Software Developer Portal of Choice Bing Search RSS with Silverlight 3 RIA Domain Ser...

Pocket Excel Graphic Lost
I developed a spreadsheet that included my company's logo in Excel 2002. I saved it to my PPC file for conversion by ActiveSync for my WinCE 2002. I want to use the spreadsheet from my PPC. I tried both the .png and .jpg image file types. The graphic is not on the Pocket Excel version of the document. Is there a problem with Pocket Excel keeping graphics? If not, what image format should I use for graphics in Pocket Excel? Or, is there a switch I need to use? Sorry, the correct e-mail address is bschmidt@westechnology.net >-----Original Message----- >I developed a spreads...

prevent blank cell #2
How do I prevent users of my workbook from making a cell blank? I want them to be able to edit it so have left it unprotected but I donot want them to be able to leave it blank. It looks as if the Data Validation command should do it, but I can't get it to work. Your repeat post appears as a reply to the thread in my browser. As a result, I almost didn't read your post on the assumption that your question had already been answered. I suspect many others did ignore your post for the same reason. Assuming that you know how to set up the validation condition (uncheck "I...

Planning training in Excel
I have been tasked to organise training for my company and they have asked me to use MS Project, which has totally blown my mind. Having done some investigating Project will not give me the answers that I need surprisingly, but I am hoping Excel will I am really trying hard to figure a way of schedulign training for 200 individuals, with 20 different modules (fixed dates) and take into account holidays. So for instance Joe Bloggs needs to attend Module A, B & D over the next 3 months, but he also has 2 weeks holiday booked. There are four other people in his department but I can only all...

File size is larger in XP than in Excel 97
Has anyone noticed that excel files that contain imported data are larger in XP than in 97? Why, any ideas? Thanks Kathy .. ...

copy paste problems for chart from excel to power point, solution
I am really having troubles copying excel charts to power point, the charts are getting messed up after copying and pasting to power point. I tried everyting, turned off auto scale and selected the don't move or resize with cells option and still having the same problem, any idea how to fix that? Thanks! On Thu, 1 Mar 2007, in microsoft.public.excel.charting, Jean <Jean@discussions.microsoft.com> said: >I am really having troubles copying excel charts to power point, the charts >are getting messed up after copying and pasting to power point. I tried >everyting, turned ...

Formatting Cells #7
I am using Excel 2003 and trying to format a cell...The data in the cell looks like 1234567A but I would like to format it so it looks like 123-456-7-A...Does anyone know how to do that? Custom formatting does not work on a text value (which is what you have), so you could do it in a helper column like this: =3DLEFT(A1,3)&"-"&MID(A1,4,3)&"-"&MID(A1,7,1)&"-"&RIGHT(A1) Copy this down to suit. You could hide column A so that you have the display that you want, but you still have the original values if you need them for something else. Hope...

Excel interfering with dates
How can I stop Excel 2007 interfering with dates? I have a variety of dates to enter. Some are before 1900, some after. Some are partial (with no year given); some are just a year. All are entered in the form 1 Sep 1854 (with some parts missing). I have defined the format of the cells to be Text/String but Excel ignores that and corrupts the dates by assuming, if no year is present, that they are 2011 and if they are after 1900 it converts them to 01/01/2011 format. How can I force Excel to do what it is told and treat them all as Text? -- Chris Watts chris@watts-bros.co.uk (synonymous...

How can I get the zero values at the end of a chart not to show?
I have a chart getting data from a spreadsheet, where data is added one day at a time, for an entire month. After adding the data for the first day, the data point shows, but the line connecting the data point in the chart immediately drops to zero, since data for the remaining days is not available. Is there a way to just have the line connecting the data points show only where there is data, and not show anything for the upcoming days where data is not available? Thanks. 1) use a dynamic chart - see http://www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme/ExcelTips/Dynamic.htm or 2) rather than blanks f...

Clear a cell's contents when document is saved
Is there a non-macro way to clear a cell's contents automatically when the spreadsheet is saved? This is one of several un-locked cells in my spreadsheet and I want to clear 1 or 2 specific cells each time a document is closed. I have hidden notes (a price list) that are only visible via Conditional formatting color change from white to black if a password is entered in the cell I want to clear upon Saving or exiting a document to prevent the next user, possibly a customer, from seeing the notes (price list) if not authorized. If I need a macro, what would you suggest? ...