Re: Displaying Electrical Connections on Two Wires

Hi all,

Just wondered if someone may be able to explain to me - in layman's terms -
how to show electrical connections between two-wires on an electrical
schematic drawing in Visio.  I am currently using Visio 2002.

Say for instance if I draw a three-phase diagram, and from the first phase,
I connect a single-phase switch and lamp, how do I show the black-dot
connection between the two wires?

Many thanks,

Regards,

Matt
0
tips6 (2)
5/1/2008 12:23:00 PM
visio 3638 articles. 1 followers. Follow

On Thu, 1 May 2008 05:23:00 -0700, tips6
<tips6@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Hi all,
>
>Just wondered if someone may be able to explain to me - in layman's terms -
>how to show electrical connections between two-wires on an electrical
>schematic drawing in Visio.  I am currently using Visio 2002.
>
>Say for instance if I draw a three-phase diagram, and from the first phase,
>I connect a single-phase switch and lamp, how do I show the black-dot
>connection between the two wires?

There are two 'blob' junction shapes in the Transmission Paths
stencil.

--
Regards, Paul Herber, Sandrila Ltd.
Electrical for Visio          http://www.electrical.sandrila.co.uk/

First, a common practice is NOT allow four way connections.  That is, lines
crossing each other, by definition, are not connected.  This is a "dotless"
convention, adopted back when making Xerox copies of copies would tend to
drop the dots.

Second, if you go to the page set up (File>Page Setup), there is a layout
and routing tab.  You can specify line jumps, which will indicate that lines
are not connected.  Sort of the anti-dot convention (my terminology).

Third, you can create a dot symbol (shape) and manually place it at all of
your connection points.  This is tedious and error prone.  I do not recommend
it.

My recommendation is option 1, and forget using dots.  It's the fastest
approach, and if you adhere to the convention, there is no mistaking the
connections.

Hope this helps.
Wapperdude

"tips6" wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Just wondered if someone may be able to explain to me - in layman's terms -
> how to show electrical connections between two-wires on an electrical
> schematic drawing in Visio.  I am currently using Visio 2002.
>
> Say for instance if I draw a three-phase diagram, and from the first phase,
> I connect a single-phase switch and lamp, how do I show the black-dot
> connection between the two wires?
>
> Many thanks,
>
> Regards,
>
> Matt
0
WapperDude (134)
5/3/2008 2:12:01 AM
Need to update my previous post.  When I wrote that, I was using Visio
Standard, which does not include the electrical stencils.  So, my comments
for the "3rd option" are inappropriate.  As Paul Herber pointed out, on the
Transmission Paths Stencil, there are already two junction shapes, a single
dot and a multi-branch dot pair.  So, it is unnecessary to create a new
shape.  Sorry for any confusion.

Wapperdude

"WapperDude" wrote:

> Visio doesn't handle schematics like most schematic entry programs, as a
> result, it doesn't automatically add connection dots.  You have several
> options.
>
> First, a common practice is NOT allow four way connections.  That is, lines
> crossing each other, by definition, are not connected.  This is a "dotless"
> convention, adopted back when making Xerox copies of copies would tend to
> drop the dots.
>
> Second, if you go to the page set up (File>Page Setup), there is a layout
> and routing tab.  You can specify line jumps, which will indicate that lines
> are not connected.  Sort of the anti-dot convention (my terminology).
>
> Third, you can create a dot symbol (shape) and manually place it at all of
> your connection points.  This is tedious and error prone.  I do not recommend
> it.
>
> My recommendation is option 1, and forget using dots.  It's the fastest
> approach, and if you adhere to the convention, there is no mistaking the
> connections.
>
> Hope this helps.
> Wapperdude
>
> "tips6" wrote:
>
> > Hi all,
> >
> > Just wondered if someone may be able to explain to me - in layman's terms -
> > how to show electrical connections between two-wires on an electrical
> > schematic drawing in Visio.  I am currently using Visio 2002.
> >
> > Say for instance if I draw a three-phase diagram, and from the first phase,
> > I connect a single-phase switch and lamp, how do I show the black-dot
> > connection between the two wires?
> >
> > Many thanks,
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > Matt
0
WapperDude (134)

WAN connection
How can I make a WAN connection between remote computers behind NAT without using port forwarding. My application is in vc++ MFC ...

Connection to the DPM service has been lost
I have 2 servers with a shared library. I just swapped out the tapes and upon performing a detailed or fast inventory, I get the Connection has been lost message. Events logs show the following error. The description for Event ID 943 from source MSDPM cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer. If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event. The following information ...

finding data between two numbers (1000-1999)and totaling correspo.
I have a list of four digit numbers. I need to search the list and any that start with 10.. I have to total the numbers from a corresponding column of all that match this criteria and display it. one way: With 4 digit numbers in A1:A1000, and corresponding column B: =SUMPRODUCT(--(INT(A1:A1000/100)=10),B1:B1000) In article <C4DEBCF8-A553-4D5C-8B22-9251CCE9177D@microsoft.com>, plasticmaker <plasticmaker@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > I have a list of four digit numbers. I need to search the list and any that > start with 10.. I have to total the numbers fro...

re-order items based on the average monthly sales
We want to set up our inventory items to reorder based on the average monthly sales x 6 (for a 6 month supply)- (amount on hand + on order). ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the message pane. http://www.microsoft.com/Businesssolutions/Community/NewsGroups/dgbrowser/en-us/...

Comparing two rows
I have a list of about 15,000 items, one per row. The details of each item are in columns A to I. I need to find those rows where ALL the entries in cols A to I are the same as in the following row. I have tried putting this in col J: =IF((A893:I893)=(A894:I894),"Error","") and I get the #VALUE! error. Is there a way of doing this with a formula, or do I have to find another way. Many thanks in advance. You could try this formula instead: =3DSUMPRODUCT(--(A893:I893=3DA894:I894)) It will return a number which is the number of matching cells in corresponding colum...

Explorer crash
Hi all, I have three network connections set up in my computer - Local Area Connecion, one dial-up connection and one VPN connection. When I open Network connections in Control Panel, then go to the Properties of either the dial-up or the VPN connecion and click on the Advanced tab, Explorer crashes with an error. This does not happen with the LAN connection. I am not sure since when this has been happening. My system is Windows XP Professional SP3 with all latest updates. Here is the error information, copied from Event Viewer: Event Type: Error Event Source: Applicati...

Need help to re-install software Windows Professional
I recently re-installed the above program after having to send my computer away. I am now recieving the following message " any active activation context" when I try to download anything, such as windows player. When on the internet, I get my home page, Yahoo, but as soon as i try to enter a web address it prompts a message "Microsoft feeds synconisation". Could anyone please offer any advice as to how to rectify the problem. And this is about Windows XP Professional x64? chrissiebell1804 wrote: > I recently re-installed the above program after havin...

Outlook Today Folder Display
This problem started when I attempted to add folders to the Outlook Today display. Folders that I did not check became checked, and each time I tried to fix this another copy of Outlook Today ended up displayed on the page. I now have 7 Outlook Today entries and one Inbox plus two additional folders I selected. Any way to fix this? I'm running Windows XP with Outlook XP. This was a fresh installation on a new PC (all preloaded). Michael ...

Can't connect to Bank of America?
I just bought Money 2008 Deluxe to manage my accounts. I was very excited since I was doing budgeting manually in excel. However as soon as I tried to set up my account with Bank of America(I'm in Nevada), I got can't set up your account message. I have read all the form entries about the Bank issues but none of them cured my problem. I called Bofa and asked them why I can't get the transactions to MS Money. And the answered I got shocked me. The rep told me that I had to pay $10 every month to subsribe to MS Money service. I declined and wanted to see if everyone else who h...

Date Difference Calculation Between two Records
If somebody can help me , regarding calculating difference of days between to records. Ex: Record No: Date: Receipts Payments 123 01/04/2007 10000 456 10/04/2007 5000 789 20/05/2007 500 What i need is calculate date difference in two records Record No: Diff 456 9 Days 789 40 Days I need this days for interest calculation if somebody could please suggest how to calculate this date difference in query i will be very much grateful ...

outlook 2003 (Windows XP) emails gives error re: subscription
In setting up outlook 2003 (ln windows xp) email (for hotmail account) I keep getting a required subscription for this service. What subscription are they referring to? Thank you. Hotmail You need a paid for Hotmail account to use Outlook (Also applies to some other internet mail accounts) "R Rankl" <R Rankl@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:C39AA85F-C879-4F14-B208-F3918424A523@microsoft.com... > In setting up outlook 2003 (ln windows xp) email (for hotmail account) I > keep > getting a required subscription for this service. > > What subsc...

Electrical Stencils
Can anyone please point out web sites for free downloads of electrical symbols Cheers Ian Have you tried www.visiostencils.com? ...

Creating a form from two tables
Im looking for assistance. This database is used for evaluations. so a manager completes a form that has 25 questions. They do 4 evaluations a month on each employee. I have 3 tables the Evaluation information (Table 1), The Answer Information (Table 2) and the Question Table (Table 3) Is there a way to popuplate at form that has all the Evaluation Information, lists each question from table 3 with the Answer Information for each of those questions from Table 2. I haven't begun creating this database yet so if there is a better way to do it i am open to suggestions. Tabl...

Dual Display Question
All, I have an application that I am building, which will use dual displays. The primary screen (or laptop display) would be used by the person running the application and entering data, etc. The other display is a form that would be displayed on a projector to provides information to a group of people in a room. My question is this. How do I programatically determine there are multiple displays, and then how do I open a form on the secondary display when I want to? Thanks, Steve On Jan 14, 12:21=A0pm, Steve Haack <SteveHa...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >...

Some Cells display text others dates in the same column
I imported a .csv file into Excel. One column contains the SKU # of a product. All my SKU's are formatted as x-xxxx. However some of the cells in the column display the SKU as it should, but many (45 out of 170) are displayed as a date format mmm-yy. Each one of the 45 is different. The cells in question show up as "custom" and when I try to change it to "text" I get a completey different number than the SKU I need. Somebody please help. Hi Phil, Format the entire column manually, choose Format, Cells, Number tab, Custom and enter #-#### in the Type box...

re-sizing 2 objects...
I am trying to make 2 areas be resizable. EX: 2 lists divided by a button. I've written code where I have a button between the 2 areas (2 lists). The button has an DrawItem function which doesn't do any thing until the user starts to drag. So.. the button is (technically) invisible... tho I change the cursor when over it so that the user knows it is there. I figured that a button would capture the mouse... then I could move the button on the fly until the user let up. Then I could re-size the 2 areas. My prob is that there is a LOT of flickering... As the user drags and my ...

Trendline on difference between two columns
How do I create a trendline illuminating the spread between two columns of numbers, such as bond yields; e.g. a trend showing differencwe between a ten year bond and ten year Treasury Inflation Protected bonds over time? Red, Make a third column in your sheet, include it in your chart, and change it to a line chart. To change to line, when it comes up as a column, select that series - right-click - Chart type - Line. The third column should have a formula that calculates the difference. -- Earl Kiosterud mvpearl omitthisword at verizon period net ----------------------------------------...

Two stacked bars
Hi. I would like to create a stacked bar chart that actually has two stacked bars for each "X" category. Series 1 is in b3 through b7 Series 2 is in c3 through c7 Series 3 is in d3 through d7 Series 4 is in e3 through e7 I would like to stack series 1 and 2 together and series 3 and 4 together. Is there a way to do this? Thanks, Mike. As answered in microsoft.public.excel.misc: If you stagger your data, you can create side-by-side stacked columns. Jon Peltier has links to instructions on his web site: http://peltiertech.com/Excel/ChartsHowTo/ClusterStack.html Mike D. wr...

Basic Excel question, entering data masks/cover two cells
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel I have a basic question with respect to entering data into excel on the Mac version of Excel. When I enter data (number or text), the enter box covers the cell where the entry is going and the cell above it. How do I force Excel to just occupy the cell that I want the entry to go in? I know there must be a quick setting that corrects this issue. On 5/3/10 9:50 AM, TerpGT@officeformac.com wrote: > Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: > Intel I have a basic question wit...

Are the two queries doing the same thing?
Hi All, I have an issue with a query running long (Fig 1). Is Fig 2 doing the same thing? It runs much faster, but just wanted to make sure it is doing the same thing. Thanks! Fig 1 select AudID FROM LateErrorHistory2 WHERE (LateErrorHistory2.AudID Not In (select distinct AudID from TblEmployeeAudit where AudID <> NULL)); Fig 2 SELECT AudID FROM LateErrorHistory2 LEFT JOIN TblEmployeeAudit ON LateErrorHistory2.AudID = TblEmployeeAudit.AudID WHERE (((TblEmployeeAudit.AudID) Is Null)); Sorry, copied the same query. Here it is.... Hi All, I have an issue ...

Change signatures based on which account you're sending from?
I have Outlook 2002 and set up few different POP3 accounts. I'd like to set different signatures for each account and have that signature auto-fill for whichever account I select to use for that particular email. Is this possible in Outlook 2002? Thanks. IIRC, Outlook 2003 was the first version to include that feature. -- Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. ALWAYS post your Outlook version. How to ask a question: http://support.microsoft.com/KB/555375 After furious head scratching, FISH asked: | I have Outlook 2002 and ...

Pivot Table Form
Hi Everyone, I have a Pivot Table Form in Access 2003 and need the blank/null cells on the data axis to display "0". This is easy to do in Excel but I have searched through all of the options in Access and cannot find it. What is the VBA code required to set this option? Can anyone suggest a good reference book or website for coding Pivot Tables with VBA? Many thanks, David Hi David, can't you use the calculated value NZ([myvalue],0) instead of the value itself? -- Kind regards Noëlla "David Saywell" wrote: > Hi Everyone, > > I have a Piv...

How to lookup and display info?
Am sure this is really easy but the logic of it is escaping me. I'm trying to the following to make an interactive table of contents whith main chapter headings, which when you click on one displays a set of hyperlinks to relevant worksheets. For instance: Worksheet 1, column A contains 10 text entries A1-A10 Each of the text entries in Worksheet 1 have 1-5 related text entries which are displayed in Worksheet 2 column B. What I would like to do, is that when in Worksheet 1, you click on any of the A1-A10 entries, the "related" entries (displayed in Worksheet 2 column B) ...

Hyperlink points correctly, doesn't display right
I have a search routine in my workbook that finds the name of a document from an active cell on another worksheet, then inserts a hyperlink to that document. The hyperlink often does not change to reflect a new document - yet, when moused over or clicked, it's pointing to the correct document. I've tried F9 on the hyperlink cell, but it still doesn't change. Any suggestions? Ed Sorry - forgot my code. The data, including the doc name, is on Sheet1. The searc function is activated by a button on sheet "Get Doc". Sub FindTIR() Dim strLocation As String Dim ...

Upgrade questions, re: 2003 to 2007
Hi all, Using 2007 now as a frontend with Oracle RDMS. Existing 2003 Access .mdb is opened with the new version, 2007. However, adding of records, via a form or query, fails. (Note, it works fine with Access 2003.) The query behind the form and the other query consists of two tables with a one-to-one relationship. (The left-side table contains a foreign key which the right- hand table is the parent table.) The error message is that the Access engine cannot find the record, in the right-side table, with key matching fields. I have figured out a few different fixes. The fi...