Re: Displaying Electrical Connections on Two Wires

Hi all,

Just wondered if someone may be able to explain to me - in layman's terms -
how to show electrical connections between two-wires on an electrical
schematic drawing in Visio.  I am currently using Visio 2002.

Say for instance if I draw a three-phase diagram, and from the first phase,
I connect a single-phase switch and lamp, how do I show the black-dot
connection between the two wires?

Many thanks,

Regards,

Matt
0
tips6 (2)
5/1/2008 12:23:00 PM
visio 3638 articles. 1 followers. Follow

On Thu, 1 May 2008 05:23:00 -0700, tips6
<tips6@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Hi all,
>
>Just wondered if someone may be able to explain to me - in layman's terms -
>how to show electrical connections between two-wires on an electrical
>schematic drawing in Visio.  I am currently using Visio 2002.
>
>Say for instance if I draw a three-phase diagram, and from the first phase,
>I connect a single-phase switch and lamp, how do I show the black-dot
>connection between the two wires?

There are two 'blob' junction shapes in the Transmission Paths
stencil.

--
Regards, Paul Herber, Sandrila Ltd.
Electrical for Visio          http://www.electrical.sandrila.co.uk/

First, a common practice is NOT allow four way connections.  That is, lines
crossing each other, by definition, are not connected.  This is a "dotless"
convention, adopted back when making Xerox copies of copies would tend to
drop the dots.

Second, if you go to the page set up (File>Page Setup), there is a layout
and routing tab.  You can specify line jumps, which will indicate that lines
are not connected.  Sort of the anti-dot convention (my terminology).

Third, you can create a dot symbol (shape) and manually place it at all of
your connection points.  This is tedious and error prone.  I do not recommend
it.

My recommendation is option 1, and forget using dots.  It's the fastest
approach, and if you adhere to the convention, there is no mistaking the
connections.

Hope this helps.
Wapperdude

"tips6" wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Just wondered if someone may be able to explain to me - in layman's terms -
> how to show electrical connections between two-wires on an electrical
> schematic drawing in Visio.  I am currently using Visio 2002.
>
> Say for instance if I draw a three-phase diagram, and from the first phase,
> I connect a single-phase switch and lamp, how do I show the black-dot
> connection between the two wires?
>
> Many thanks,
>
> Regards,
>
> Matt
0
WapperDude (134)
5/3/2008 2:12:01 AM
Need to update my previous post.  When I wrote that, I was using Visio
Standard, which does not include the electrical stencils.  So, my comments
for the "3rd option" are inappropriate.  As Paul Herber pointed out, on the
Transmission Paths Stencil, there are already two junction shapes, a single
dot and a multi-branch dot pair.  So, it is unnecessary to create a new
shape.  Sorry for any confusion.

Wapperdude

"WapperDude" wrote:

> Visio doesn't handle schematics like most schematic entry programs, as a
> result, it doesn't automatically add connection dots.  You have several
> options.
>
> First, a common practice is NOT allow four way connections.  That is, lines
> crossing each other, by definition, are not connected.  This is a "dotless"
> convention, adopted back when making Xerox copies of copies would tend to
> drop the dots.
>
> Second, if you go to the page set up (File>Page Setup), there is a layout
> and routing tab.  You can specify line jumps, which will indicate that lines
> are not connected.  Sort of the anti-dot convention (my terminology).
>
> Third, you can create a dot symbol (shape) and manually place it at all of
> your connection points.  This is tedious and error prone.  I do not recommend
> it.
>
> My recommendation is option 1, and forget using dots.  It's the fastest
> approach, and if you adhere to the convention, there is no mistaking the
> connections.
>
> Hope this helps.
> Wapperdude
>
> "tips6" wrote:
>
> > Hi all,
> >
> > Just wondered if someone may be able to explain to me - in layman's terms -
> > how to show electrical connections between two-wires on an electrical
> > schematic drawing in Visio.  I am currently using Visio 2002.
> >
> > Say for instance if I draw a three-phase diagram, and from the first phase,
> > I connect a single-phase switch and lamp, how do I show the black-dot
> > connection between the two wires?
> >
> > Many thanks,
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > Matt