Ordering of Custom Properties?

Hi,

I have several Shapes that have Custom Properties.  I am trying to add
new Custom Properties and re-arrange the order of them.  However, when I
delete the first property and then add a new property it always gets put
down as the first property.  How can I make sure a newly added Custom
Property gets put on the end of the list?

Or better yet, how can I re-order a given set of Custom Properties?

I am using Visio 2002.

Thanks,
Scott Metzger

visio 3638 articles. 1 followers. Follow

Note: I am speaking of the actual order in the shape sheet not the sort
order.  I need to adjust the actual order becuase my Automation depends
on certain cells being in a certain order.

Scott Metzger wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have several Shapes that have Custom Properties.  I am trying to add
> new Custom Properties and re-arrange the order of them.  However, when I
> delete the first property and then add a new property it always gets put
> down as the first property.  How can I make sure a newly added Custom
> Property gets put on the end of the list?
>
> Or better yet, how can I re-order a given set of Custom Properties?
>
> I am using Visio 2002.
>
> Thanks,
> Scott Metzger

only partly facetious since you asked about reordering
them - have you considered the brute force approach of
read them into an array, delete all of them, and then
recreate them?

0
edlund1 (616)
10/2/2003 3:15:33 PM
al wrote:
> only partly facetious since you asked about reordering
> them - have you considered the brute force approach of
> read them into an array, delete all of them, and then
> recreate them?

Deletion and Recreation is the only way that I have found to do this.
The problem with doing this is that once you delete that row any
references to cells in that row are removed from the ShapeSheet.  Also,
if you rename rows then any references to cells in the ShapeSheet now
point to the wrong cell, because when you rename a row all references to
the renamed row are also changed.

So, the only way I have found to do this is to:
1) Note all the names of my custom properties.
2) Note every place each of these names is used in my ShapeSheet,
thankfully it seems to be limited to the Text Fields section.
3) Delete all my custom properties.
4) Create new custom properties, in the order I want them.
5) Go through the shape sheet and put the references to the Prop.XXX rows.

This excercise is a result of Filters only being able to be identified
by a row index instead of a "Prop.Name" in Automation.  And it is also
the result of not being able to change the order of Custom Properties in
a Shape Sheet.

Tell me again, Visio is supposed to save me time, right?

I understand. In my case I save the custom properties
definitions in a database (long term) and in a listview
control for the document. I had to do this because the
defaults delivered with some stencils was inconsistent for
what I needed.
good luck
al

0
edlund1 (616)
10/2/2003 7:29:05 PM
I checked with Graham and his response is:

Because this is such a pain, I finally wrote a tool to do it using a new
feature in Visio 2003. It's included with the 2003 book, soon to be
released.

A not-quite-automatic way to reorder named rows which is way less hassle
than using the ShapeSheet is this:

1. Save the doc in XML (VDX) format.

2. Use text editor to change the IDs for the rows in question. No need to
change any other formulas.

3. Save the XML file, then load back into Visio -- should be in desired
order now.

This procedure obviously requires V2002 or above. If using V2003, then
before doing this you need to change a reg setting to get editable XML:

HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Office\11.0\Visio\Application

XMLEmitIndents = 1

(and to make this easier, set the Visio Option > Advanced "Put all settings
in Windows Registry).

Hope that helps,

Graham Visio MVP

John...    Visio MVP

Need stencils or ideas? http://www.mvps.org/visio/3rdparty.htm
Need VBA examples?   http://www.mvps.org/visio/VBA.htm
Common Visio Questions http://www.mvps.org/visio/common_questions.htm

0
lancucki (505)
10/3/2003 9:25:35 PM
John Marshall, MVP wrote:
> I checked with Graham and his response is:
>

> Because this is such a pain, I finally wrote a tool to do it using a new
> feature in Visio 2003. It's included with the 2003 book, soon to be
> released.

Thanks.  At least I know I didn't miss some easy way to do this.

publishing customizations using deployment manager
When I publich customizations, it comes back saying publish completed with errors, servername: failed. I notice that when I publish the customizations, my web site stops. I have to manually start it and then I can go into CRM and my changes are there. This is what I get in app log: ProcessImportWorkItem Error : The root element is missing. , StackTrace : at System.Xml.XmlTextReader.Read() at System.Xml.XmlValidatingReader.ReadWithCollectTextToken() at System.Xml.XmlValidatingReader.Read() at System.Xml.XmlLoader.Load(XmlDocument doc, XmlReader reader, Boolean preserve...

Setting the value of a Master page's control's property using a property of the Master page
I have a Master page that contains a custom property, defined as follows: Public Property SelectedNavigationID() As String Get Return Me.leftnavNavigation.SelectedNavigationID End Get Set(ByVal value As String) Me.leftnavNavigation.SelectedNavigationID = value End Set End Property As you can see, this property is used to set the value of a property of one of the Master page's Controls. I set the property from the Content page as follows: Private Sub Page_PreInit(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles Me.PreInit Me.Master.SelectedN...

Worksheet properties
Hello, For some strange reason....all new worksheets that I insert into a workbook seem to right-to-left orientation. So the A column is located on the right hand side and the b column is located to the left of the a column. Does anyone know if this is a setting from the menu or an object that needs resetting in vb? thanks,Matt Matt, Look at Tools - Options - International - Default direction. I think this is only for a new workbook. Doesn't change existing ones. -- Earl Kiosterud mvpearl omitthisword at verizon period net ------------------------------------------- "Matt...

how do i create a custom calendar in excel?
I wish to create a customised calendar in excel showing only school working days to assist in timelining activities on various checklists that have to be done in term time only. Any help? ...

Potential customer field in Quote
Hi, Is there a way to make the Potential customer field in Quote entity as NOT required? Thank you in advance for any suggestions, crsb The entire sales process from opportunity up to the invoice requires a customer. If you don't need the field, create a dummy account and set the customer id to this dummy account in OnLoad. -- Michael H�hne, Microsoft Dynamics CRM MVP CRM Blog on http://www.stunnware.com ---------------------------------------------------------- "crsb" <srinivasa.bharadwaj@gmail.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:76d7f1b1-c86f-470b-bbec-0329d9d29f...

Quest
does csvde has limitied attributes to export ? For quest cmdlets, i can use more properties/attributes, but i wish to pipe to csvde for export. Can it be done ? Why not just pipe to a csv file -- Richard Siddaway All scripts are supplied "as is" and with no warranty PowerShell MVP Blog and PowerShell User Group: http://msmvps.com/blogs/RichardSiddaway/Default.aspx "IT Staff" wrote: > does csvde has limitied attributes to export ? > > For quest cmdlets, i can use more properties/attributes, but i wish to pipe > to csvde for e...

Customize link not working in Reports
Money 2002: Version 10.0 When I open a report (any report) and then choose the Customize... link on the left side, I do not get the Customize Dialog box that I used to see. Money is basically unusable until I hit the ESC (Escape) key. Any ideas? If you are using Money 2005, go into Tools/Reports and see whether you are using Essential or Advanced Reports. My guess is that you need to switch from Essential to Advanced. This is new in Money 2005. "LongTime User" wrote: > Money 2002: Version 10.0 > > When I open a report (any report) and then choose the Customize....

Customize Task Details Form
Not sure if this is possible. Can I customize the Task Details Form? I'd like to add some more input fields to it. My company has 23 (way too many) columns they'd like to have all schedules populate. I've added the necessary columns to the Gantt view but I dislike tabbing across and not being able to see all the data at once. I figured out how to create a customized entry form but I'd like to display it in the bottom pane of a split view and I can't figure that out. It would be even better if I could start with the default task entry form and modify it...

Address relationship with custom entity
Hi We have created a custom entity and we would like to create a similar relationship that accounts have with addresses. We would basically want to enter multiple addresses for the custom entity. I have noticed that this not possible simply by creating a new relationship. You actually cannot create a new relationship with the address entity. I was wondering if anyone has attempted this before. I guess we could create a new address entity which would enable us to enter multiple address for the custom entity. I would prefer not to do this though. Any suggestions? Thanks alot Mark ...

How to activate Notes & Activities on a Custom Entity...
Anyone know how to activate the Notes & Activities (associated entities) for a custom entity AFTER they've been created? After you create and save they can't be altered from the front-end so any advice on how to do this from the backend would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! ...

Inventory Site/LocationCode Order Lines on MSCRM1.2 to GPS8.0
We are currently running MSCRM 1.2 and GPS 8.0, with the MS Integration between them. Our Sales force uses various Inventory locations when placing orders within our GPS system. Because of business reasons we can't consolidate into a single Inventory Location as the Integration documentation suggests. The documentation allow says that it only supports the use of one Inventory location, which you set in the "Settings and Administration" tool. It appears that you can modify the BizTalk Mapping for the SalesOrderDetail channel to route a value from a custom field in MSCRM...

Simple Format for Customer Statement
Hello All Is there available another format for printing customer statements? I'm mostly interested in a format that shows charges and payments without all the details and allocation to invoices. In other words I need a statement is the old fashion simple (Debit, Credit, Balance) format. Thank you Thanks Morris, I'll try it out. "Morris Paint" wrote: > This is our current statement. We are having another one written that shows > current period transactions in one area and all open invoices in another. > > "Mario" <Mario@discussions.microsoft...

AxtiveX ctrl subclassing custom control
Hi! There are plenty of examples where ActiveX ctrls are subclassed from Windows controls such as BUTTON, EDIT, etc. I've got custom control based on CRichEditCtrl, and I'd like to build ActiveX ctrl subclassed from it. I'm not quite sure how this should be done. In all examples I found the approach is like this - BOOL CActiveXWrapperCtrl::PreCreateWindow(CREATESTRUCT& cs) { cs.lpszClass = _T("EDIT"); return COleControl::PreCreateWindow(cs); } well, my custom control does not have registered name, so what should i do? many thanks kdv09 ...

truncation of customer fields
I am moving data from a legasy system that allowed 60 to 100 characters for customer name and address fields. GP only allows 60 to 30 respectively. Is there a workaround for this? For example if I used integration manager could I some how put 30 char in address then the remaining in a user field? Would that work or is there a more elegant solution? Thank You for any info. Certianly using the scripting language in IM to split the fields and use one of the address fields is one solution. You could also use extender fields but it is difficult with IM. -- Richard L. Whaley Author / Co...

order enty form
help here is my problem i have a db that tracks orders and i need a form to enter the order number and part number and quantirty. i will need to enter allot of orders at one time so i want to use a comtinuous form to enter the info into the orders table what i want to do is enter the job # and the part number and auto fill the discription and size. i have a part numbert tabel with fields part number, discription size there are too many to use a combo box. i have an order table with fileds job number, part number , discription , qantity, start time end tine, efficentcy, total time , down time, ...

Exchange DoS vulnerability due to possible named properties overflow
Hello All, Here's a problem. Exchange Server 2003 has a hard quota limit for the named properties of the messages stored in Exchange Information store, as described in a KB article 820379. After the quota has been reached, numerous error messages with Event ID 9667 and 12800 from MSExchangeIS are generated in Exchange server's Application Log. This creates DoS conditions for the affected Information store. If the quota is increased up to the capacity limit of the named properties table (32,000), server can become unresponsive to client requests. Named properties quota overflow can be...

Custom auto-sorting...possible?
Is there a way to have excel auto-sort (cutom) by criteria in 3 columns? I think it might be easier to explain by viewing the workbook http://poolgod.zftp.com/predictions.xls. The picture shows how I need it to sort. I found some information on auto-sort in help and also on the net, but I don't know how to incorporate the multiple criteria or if it's even possible. Any ideas? Thanks, Steve -- Pools ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Pools's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=35961 View this thread: ht...

Quantity on Purchase Orders
Is there any way to see the total quantity ordered on a purchase order? The only quantity I can find is the Entries quanitity which is just the number of lines on the PO and doesn't factor in multiple quanitites per line. It would be great to see it on the printed purchase order, but I can't even find it on the screen. Maybe it's just me. -- Kris You could add this to the XML template that creates the PO report but thats about it. Ivan "Kris" <kris@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:79D478B1-733B-46FB-92D9-34C327B2E02B@microsoft.com... &g...

Newbie Help for Custom Number Formats
Hey All, I am working on a spreadsheet that I would like to have it append the inch symbol as part of the number format ("). I figured out that I can add custom suffixes with the use of the quotation marks, but I can't place a quotation mark inside of quotes and get what I need. Is there any way to have Excel do this for me? I know it seems like a small thing to do, but having Excel add this for me would save me a lot of time with formulas and all. Example: 24" Thanks in advance. JB -- joshb416 ------------------------------------------------------------------------ j...

Custom MS Excel Charts
What technologies do I need to be able to develop custom charts for MS Excel, are there any nice friendly APIs/libraries. Thanks Umair ...

Closing orders
After we receive and order, we create the invoice with the create invoice button, however the order is still there as "new" or "pending". Is there any way to "close" the order as having been received? (CRM is expecting that you would be integrated to an accounting system) You could write a manual workflow rule to set the order status to Submitted and order status reason to (whatever); you may be able to get the workflow to trigger on something more useful like creating an invoice, but I haven't tried that Peter "Biyoojok" <biyoojok@gmail...

How to see ... Property, Details in a message
Greetings from Italy, I need to know IP of some messages I receive with Outlook (not Outlook Express) When I used Outlook Espress this was very easy: File, Properties, Details, Original message Using Outlook (2002) this seem to me impossible: How can I do ?Thank you Loplop Loplop wrote: > I need to know IP of some messages I receive with Outlook Right-click on the message, Options. Or open the message in its own window and use View -> Options. Or get the PocketKnife Peek add-on (free). > When I used Outlook Espress this was very easy: File, Properties, > Details, Or...

Create Customer using web services
I would like to cal the GPWebservices using a formatted XML file. I was able to create a basic XML file to create a customer in GP. However I’m having trouble specifying the customer organization. The WSDL specifies the following format <ns1:Context> <!--Optional:--> <ns1:WorkOnBehalfOf>?</ns1:WorkOnBehalfOf> <!--Optional:--> <ns1:OrganizationKey/> <!--Optional:--> <ns1:CultureName>?</ns1:CultureName> <ns1:CurrencyType>?</ns1:CurrencyType...

customizing pivot tables
I am trying to create a pivot table based off of data in Sheet2. I need to look to be different than any of the autoformats. is there a way that i can create my own autoformat, maybe in VBA, that i can use for other tables as well? Maybe you could record a macro when you format it the way you like. Then you could run that macro to get that look when you want. tkaplan wrote: > > I am trying to create a pivot table based off of data in Sheet2. I need to > look to be different than any of the autoformats. is there a way that i can > create my own autoformat, maybe in VBA, that ...

Custom print comments in Excel 2007
Hi there There are two ways to print comments in Excel, either the WYSIWYG way (little stacked boxes over the actual worksheet) or as separate pages. Problem with the separate pages way: the comments get printed as Cell: B9 Comment: User name: Comment... Now, the cell number is not necessarly the easiest way to locate a specific cell. My question: would it be possible to replace the cell number with, for example, the content of the cell or the content of the neighboring cell? I'm not an expert in VBA programming, but if someone could point out where I should start to customiz...