Opening Visio and Directory Cache Updating Delay

I have Visio Pro 2002 on an XP Pro machine.   After installing it and
applying all available updates, I notice that most times when I open it, it
takes a couple minutes to update directory cache.  I have to wait for the
progress bar to complete.  Most of the time it starts at 13% for whatever
reason; sometimes it starts at 30%.   It was stalling at 13% and I got a
"not responding" on the title bar and it was failing to open at all.

  I followed the steps in a KB similar linked below to repair from
Add/Remove and it didn't help.  I didn't try "Detect and Repair" because I
couldn't get Visio to open, so I uninstalled it and reinstalled it and tried
it before and after applying the available updates to see if they impacted
this.  It will now open and seems to be runnning well, but there is still
*the couple minutes it takes to run that update directory cache progress
bar.*

1) Is this  updating directory cache delay necessary and normal?  What does
this do or what purpose does it serve?
2) What is the purpose of this?  Does it only occur in Visio and do others
see it often?   I've not seen it in other Office applications but I'm new to
Visio.
3) I know that there  is this KB--and I applied its steps.  But my issue is
not freezing at 100% it's just delay at the beginning until that "updating
directory cache progress bar" takes a couple minutes to run.  I'd like to
eliminate this delay if I could get around the updating directory cache
phenom unless it's essential and unavoidable.

Visio2002: Visio Stops Responding at 100 Percent While Updating Directory
Cache

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;318328&Product=vso2002

Thanks much in advance,

Chad Harris

visio 3638 articles. 1 followers. Follow

Hi Chad,

Something is definitely wrong if Visio is updating the directory cache every
time you launch Visio.  This should only happen once after installation.
Visio creates a Visio.bin file to store information in so that your machine
does not have to be scanned all the time.  Perhaps that file is not getting
generated and saved properly.

The time it takes to perform the cache update depends on the number of
directories that Visio must scan.  You might look at Tools > Options > File
Paths to see what directories are specified.  Visio is looking in these
places for Visio content.

For others reading here, Visio 2003 elimates the need for a directory cache,
so it does not suffer from the same issues.

--
Mark Nelson
Microsoft Corporation

"Chad Harris" <ddram32_nospam@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> I have Visio Pro 2002 on an XP Pro machine.   After installing it and
> applying all available updates, I notice that most times when I open it,
it
> takes a couple minutes to update directory cache.  I have to wait for the
> progress bar to complete.  Most of the time it starts at 13% for whatever
> reason; sometimes it starts at 30%.   It was stalling at 13% and I got a
> "not responding" on the title bar and it was failing to open at all.
>
>   I followed the steps in a KB similar linked below to repair from
> Add/Remove and it didn't help.  I didn't try "Detect and Repair" because I
> couldn't get Visio to open, so I uninstalled it and reinstalled it and
tried
> it before and after applying the available updates to see if they impacted
> this.  It will now open and seems to be runnning well, but there is still
> *the couple minutes it takes to run that update directory cache progress
> bar.*
>
> 1) Is this  updating directory cache delay necessary and normal?  What
does
> this do or what purpose does it serve?
> 2) What is the purpose of this?  Does it only occur in Visio and do others
> see it often?   I've not seen it in other Office applications but I'm new
> Visio.
> 3) I know that there  is this KB--and I applied its steps.  But my issue
is
> not freezing at 100% it's just delay at the beginning until that "updating
> directory cache progress bar" takes a couple minutes to run.  I'd like to
> eliminate this delay if I could get around the updating directory cache
> phenom unless it's essential and unavoidable.
>
> Visio2002: Visio Stops Responding at 100 Percent While Updating Directory
> Cache

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;318328&Product=vso2002

> Thanks much in advance,
>
> Chad Harris

0
marknel (439)
4/23/2004 6:06:49 AM
Hi Mark--

I can't find a *visio.bin file* on searching.  What folder would it be in?
I have  explorer view  set to display all hidden files and folders.  I
searched manually and also did a search in E:\Program Files and the Visio 10
folders and couldn't find it.

I really appreciate your help--this is very useful  info-- and Lori Pearce's
in the microsoft.public.visio.troubleshoot group.  There can't be Visio
content yet  that I generated, other than what default installs, because I
haven't been using it and am in the process of reading help, hitting the
Office site for help,  other web site tutorials, and getting a Visio book
like *Inside Out MS Press*, ect.  It wasn't my intention to cross post, but
when I didn't get any answer for a couple days I tried the other forum.  I
also appreciate the distinction that Visio 2003, which I unfortunately don't
have--although I could upgrade the 02 to 03 for $250.  I would have thought
the reinstall would cure this behavior that I now know to be abnormal.  I
want to stress that before the reinstall I couldn't get Visio to open up,
and after the reinstall I had to go into the E:\Program Files\Microsoft
Office\Visio10\Visio10 and click on the Visio application to get it to open
up, and now it opens everytime, but unfortunately a two minute scan updating
driectory cache delays its opening.

Visio *wasn't opening at all before,*  but after I did hopefully clean
reinstall (of Visio) not of my OS, I could open it up.

I wanted to ask you if you see any problem with this.  According to the KB,
the default location for Visio to install to is
"drive:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Visio10\1033   NOTE: This is the
default location for the 1033 folder. If you installed Visio to a location
other than the default location, this path is different on your computer"
and it tells you to  Verify that all of the following folders exist as
subfolders of the 1033 folder. If any of these do not exist, create them.":

Drawings
Filters
Help
Samples
Solutions
Startup

After my reinstall of Visio 02Pro to my E Drive (I have C, D, E, F) where I
put most of my programs to distribute real estate to keep enough free space
on each drive to allow an effective defrag,  I have

E:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Visio 10 and in it are these folders:  1)
1033 2) Visio 10

If I open up the 1033 folder,  I see *only* two folders--1) Drawings and 2)
Solutions.  There is nothing else in the 1033 folder.  Nothing is in the
drawings folder yet, and a Clip Art folder is in the solutions folder and it
are Smart Clip Art and Clip Art Metric folders.

If I open up the Visio 10 folder, (that is the folder whose path becomes
E:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Visio10\Visio10 (that wasn't a typo Visio
10 is in Visio 10) *I see an additional 1033 folder* which has a number of
folders including Samples, Solutions, Startup, Filters, and Help folders and
a number of additional .dll folders.  Tools is also in that Visio 10\Visio
10 folder.

I noticed that the Visio  application folder is also *in E:\Program
Files\Microsoft Office\Visio10\Visio10* and after I reinstalled it, I had to
click on this folder to get it to open up without stalling with  the
Directory Cache Progress Bar  at 13% as it did prior to the reinstall.   It
opened up fine, and ever since I have been able to open up Visio fine from
the All Programs Menu *but it still has a 2 minute delay for Directory Cache
to update every time I open it up.

*Does the folder distribution make any sense to you?  Because that's exactly
the way it installed.   I reinstalled it very carefully.

I want to mention (but don't think this should have impacted anything) that
I had to "custom install" to send Visio to my "E" drive since it will
default install to the "C" drive, and when faced with the "feature tree
installation states" of the "Custom Installation Wizard" I chose "Run all
from My Computer."  I'm looking at the explanation of these on p. 103 of the
Office XP Resource Kit, and I honestly can't understand the explanations in
practical terms--but since it said  that with "Installed on First Use" some
child features may not support it, but are "installed on the local computer"
I chose "Run all from My Computer" hoping it wouldn't hurt and guessing it
wouldn't matter since this isn't a network installation.

I really appreciate the help a lot.

Chad Harris

"Mark Nelson [MS]" <marknel@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> [...]
>> bar.*
>>
>> 1) Is this  updating directory cache delay necessary and normal?  What
> does
>> this do or what purpose does it serve?
>> 2) What is the purpose of this?  Does it only occur in Visio and do
>> others
>> see it often?   I've not seen it in other Office applications but I'm new
>> Visio.
>> 3) I know that there  is this KB--and I applied its steps.  But my issue
> is
>> not freezing at 100% it's just delay at the beginning until that
>> "updating
>> directory cache progress bar" takes a couple minutes to run.  I'd like to
>> eliminate this delay if I could get around the updating directory cache
>> phenom unless it's essential and unavoidable.
>>
>> Visio2002: Visio Stops Responding at 100 Percent While Updating Directory

Hi Chad,

That is not the correct folder structure for Visio 2002.  Your basic path
should be:

E:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Visio10\Visio.exe

The subfolders under Visio10 are:
1033
DLL
Tools (not usually present - related to UML diagrams)

On my own machine the visio.bin file is under my profile data:

Documents and Settings\<User Name>\Local Settings\Application
Data\Microsoft\Visio

If your directories are not set up properly, you should probaby uninstall
and then manually wipe out all the remaining folders.  Perhaps a install at
that point would be successful.

--

> [...]
> > does
> >> this do or what purpose does it serve?
> >> 2) What is the purpose of this?  Does it only occur in Visio and do
> >> others
> >> see it often?   I've not seen it in other Office applications but I'm
new
> >> Visio.
> >> 3) I know that there  is this KB--and I applied its steps.  But my
issue
> > is
> >> not freezing at 100% it's just delay at the beginning until that
> >> "updating
> >> directory cache progress bar" takes a couple minutes to run.  I'd like
> >> eliminate this delay if I could get around the updating directory cache
> >> phenom unless it's essential and unavoidable.
> >>
> >> Visio2002: Visio Stops Responding at 100 Percent While Updating

0
marknel (439)
4/26/2004 6:17:10 AM
Mark--

I want to thank you and Lori Pierce very much for your helpful answers.   I
didn't want to post so lengthy, but I felt like I had to let you know what
folder paths I was seeing given the behavior of the repeat scan on opening.
Right now it's firing up without directory cache updating at all.  I
appreciate your info, because being new to Visio it would have been
difficult  and time consuming if not impossible coming up with this info in
sites/books.

I am going to see how it goes for a little bit, and then I might uninstall
and try to make sure I manually get the folders  that might be causing or
cause a problem out of the way first per your directions.

> [...]
>> > every
>> > time you launch Visio.  This should only happen once after
>> > installation.
>> > Visio creates a Visio.bin file to store information in so that your
>> > machine
>> > does not have to be scanned all the time.  Perhaps that file is not
>> > getting
>> > generated and saved properly.
>> >
>> > The time it takes to perform the cache update depends on the number of
>> > directories that Visio must scan.  You might look at Tools > Options >
>> > File
>> > Paths to see what directories are specified.  Visio is looking in these
>> > places for Visio content.
>> >
>> > For others reading here, Visio 2003 elimates the need for a directory
>> > cache,
>> > so it does not suffer from the same issues.

New global customer shipping address not updated in store
When adding new ship-to addresses for global customers in HQ the new information is not being transferred to each store Have you tried issuing a worksheet 350? "Dick Boorsma" wrote: > When adding new ship-to addresses for global customers in HQ the new > information is not being transferred to each store Most changes that I make in the server to the Global customer are updated after running Worksheet 401. "Dick Boorsma" wrote: > When adding new ship-to addresses for global customers in HQ the new > information is not being transferred to each store ...

Eliminate macro warning when you open a workbook
I have a shared workbook that everytime someone opens it the macro warning comes up. I cannot find a macro in the workbook and wish to prevent the pop up box. Karlene Check out this link to explain what's happening and how to stop it: http://www.contextures.com/xlfaqMac.html#NoMacros Hope this helps. Pete On Jan 13, 4:35=A0pm, Karlene <Karl...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > I have a shared workbook that everytime someone opens it the macro warnin= g > comes up. =A0I cannot find a macro in the workbook and wish to prevent th= e pop > up box. &...

Is visio professional really installed?
Hi. I installed Visio Pro 2007 over a trial of visio standard 2007. everything appears to have installed without problem and the program validated without any issues. However...the title on the start and program menu says visio 2007. The title over the program says visio 2007 and the "about" page says visio 2007. on the "add/remove programs" in control panel, it says visio professional 2007. so, which program is installed? Can anyone tell. it seems to me, everything should say visio pro 2007. Thanks. I have Visio 2007 Professional. I have never used the t...

Excel
When starting excel, the program now opens or attempts to open every file in the directory. What causes this & how can I correct it? ...

Use this security update
--ssjlkmpohzbmbi Content-Type: multipart/related; boundary="hqpqiuybfvsftdqvt"; type="multipart/alternative" --hqpqiuybfvsftdqvt Content-Type: multipart/alternative; boundary="tellcghwmu" --tellcghwmu Content-Type: text/plain Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Microsoft User this is the latest version of security update, the "October 2003, Cumulative Patch" update which fixes all known security vulnerabilities affecting MS Internet Explorer, MS Outlook and MS Outlook Express as well as three new vulnerabilities. Install now to help protect ...

update subform from value in another form
I have a mainform and two subforms liked through member number. I want to enter data in the subform for every quarter for each member. I have an unbound combo box in the main form to select the quarter. How do I store the quarter information for each member in the subforms based on the combo box. I don’t want to store the quarter information in the main form. SeekAns - It sounds like you are adding new records in the subform. If so, set the default value of the control in the subform to be the value selected in the combo box on the main form. -- Daryl S "See...

<file> is being modified by <user> Do you want top open it as read only?
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: Intel Hi there I have a 10.4.11 Tiger server. Network users running leopard 10.5.5 and earlier are having problems opening office files. Often, but not always they receive errors like... <file> is being modified by <user> Do you want to open it as read only? Sometimes it says the file is corrupt and cannot be opened. Sometimes they open just fine. The files in question are definitely not being modified by other users. If I store the files locally, rather than in a networked served account they open normally wi...

Sub-directory in regards to forms
Am I able to publish a workable form (that delivers results to an e-mail and to a csv file) in a sub-folder on my web site, using FrontPage 2003? In other words, do all forms have to reside in the upper directory? Yes - the form can be in any folder in the website, but the CSV file should always be placed in the _private folder, since the _private folder normally has permissions that allow the file to be update, and prevent anonymous users viewing it. -- Ron Symonds Microsoft MVP (Expression Web) http://www.rxs-enterprises.org/fp Reply only to group - emails will be dele...

Delay in receiving messages after upgrade to Exchange 2003
Background: We recently migrated our single Exchange 5.5 server (non-cluster) to a new Exchange 2003 server (active – passive cluster if that matters). Our operating system is Windows 2003, no service pack and Exchange is at Service Pack 1. After getting through the problems of sending mail to AOL and reverse DNS, we thought we were in good shape. Any problems that came up were small and easily dealt with. Problem: But we have one problem that I haven’t been able to figure out completely. We receive mail from a lot of outside domains, but we are having trouble receiving mail from one o...

Open wdb File?
Any way to open a Works database file in Excel. I do not have Works to save as another format, so need to open it in Excel. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks! No, not from Excel either find someone with Works or get a commercial converter -- Regards, Peo Sjoblom "Karl Burrows" <karlspam@spam.yourbeacon.com> wrote in message news:%23UjgbYHTFHA.3332@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl... > Any way to open a Works database file in Excel. I do not have Works to > save > as another format, so need to open it in Excel. Any help would be > appreciated. > > Th...

Opening a vss file in an ActiveX Visio2003
Hi, I have dropped an ActiveX Visio2003 in a C# form. I opened a vss (stencil file) but the master names are not shown in the bottom of their icons. How can I fix this ? Thank You in advance. Hi, there: Are you using a Visio standard stencil? What method are you using to open the stencil? Thanks, Mai-lan Microsoft Corporation This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. "genc ymeri" <genc_ymeri@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:uaHRCsk9DHA.2656@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl... > Hi, > I have dropped an ActiveX Visio2003 in a C# fo...

multiply workbooks opening in 2003
I copied info from one workbook to a new workbook and now whenever I open the original workbook a new workbook opens. someone else pasted cells from one workbook to another and now both workbooks open at the same time. If you close one the other opens. They are not linked in any obvious way. These files were 2000 files orignally. First, just a check to make sure it isn't the same workbook with a second window open. When you look at the title bar, do you see: book1.xls:1 or book1.xls:2 If yes, then select the window you don't want to see anymore and hit ctrl-W. Then save the wo...

Installer might need to close programs, an open program is csrss.e
I have Windows Vista and when I try to install the latest Windows Live Messenger, the installer says that open programs may conflict with the installation, and on the list of open programs is csrss.exe. The installer says that if I choose to ignore open programs, the installer may close them anyway during the installation. Isn't csrss.exe essential to running Windows? If I tell it to ignore open programs, will the installer close csrss.exe? Thank you! Greetings, See your other post (this came through twice). -- Jonathan Kay Microsoft MVP - Windows Live Messenger MS...

Default opening .pub as New instead of Open
I have created a publisher template complete with lots of custom macros and settings. Unfortunately, Publisher doesn't treat it's templates (which are named with the same file extension as the normal pubs) like other programs treate templates. I would love it if I could FORCE publisher to open this template as New instead of Open. By opening it new if a user accidentally clicks Save they will not save over the template. A command line option would do the trick if there is one... Cory When I make changes to a custom template and click save, it does not overwrite the templa...

Exchange/Outlook delayed mail delivery
Hi All, How often does Outlook check Exchange for messages? Sometimes mail isn't getting delivered to the users outlook immediately - It goes to their exchange mailbox but it doesn't go to their outlook for sometimes up to 1 minute or more (in yesterdays case it was 30 minutes.) I'm nearly positive the message is in the users mailbox on the exchange server because if I hit send/receive it will show up in the recipients outlook - it just doesn't show up automatically. As a test, if I send a message to a user in my company and hit send it goes to my outbox and within seconds ...

CRM Import wizard fails to open outlook ~
I am testing CRM in a lab before implementation and I want to test importing many contacts, when I open the import contacts tool (tools>import>contct) in web crm interface I get a message after selectying outlook that states "Microsoft Outlook cannot be started, Verify that Outlook is installed on this computer. And I am stuck right there. Please help. Thanks. Seth Seth; CRM needs Outlook installed if you want to import from an Ooutlook PST file. The catch is that you cannot install OL on a CRM server, so you will need to set up a client workstation with OL installed and h...

To clear the Open Other User's Folder list & To clear the Find a Contact list
What registry key would apply for Outlook 2007 for each catagory? To clear the Open Other User's Folder list ... The first article explains how to get to the right point in the registry. The second article explains what value to look for (101e0390) once you get to the right key in the right profile. It was written for Outlook 2000, but applies to Outlook 2002 as well (Outlook 2002 being version 10.0 instead of 9.0). To clear the Open Other Users folders MRU in Outlook 2003, follow the steps for Outlook 2000 but look for the binary value101f0390 To clear the Find a Contact list .....

run-Time error 2501 when i'm trying to open a report
Hi. I have a front-end and back-end system. I have one backend and serveral front-ends. All front ends are using access 2003 and windows xp with last updates. In one computer I returning me the error "Run-Time Error 2501" this the last code line in the following code: "Dim strMapa As String Select Case Me.Frame2 Case 1 strMapa = "12_rpt_Producoes_NotaProducao_PorNumero_qry" Case 2 strMapa = "rpt_Producoes_RFT_datas_qry" Case 3 strMapa = "rpt_Producoes_NotaProducao_PorDatas" End Select DoCmd.OpenReport strMap...

Excel files won't open
Hello, If I open Excel, I can then open xls files through the program; however, if I double-click an Excel file, Excel is spawned but it doesn't open the xls file. Why would this be happening, and how can I correct it? On the PC with the issue, we are running Windows XP Pro SP2, Microsoft Office XP SP3. Thanks, and I appreciate your help! Joseph Sometimes one of these works: Tools|Options|General|Ignore other applications (uncheck it) --- or --- Close Excel and Windows Start Button|Run excel /unregserver then Windows Start Button|Run excel /regserver The /unregserver & /...

Access 2007 Auto update Date
I wish to update a date automatically in a form, after data has been changed. I have tried to do as the link belows shows, but I am not having any joy. I do not need the time just the date. If anyone can write what I need & give me a step by step Or a link, I would appreciate it. I have no knowledge of vba so the full vba would be appreciated. Thanks http://office.microsoft.com/en-gb/access/HA010345351033.aspx ...

hyperlinks open save as exe window not webpage
The hyperlinks sent to me in an email are not working correctly. When clicking on the links the Save As dialog box appears with the file type of executable files selected. All links are supposed to go to webpages. Does anyone have an idea what might be causing this. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Lloyd My apologies. Rather than opening the Save As dialog box, it opens the Locate Link Browser dialog box, instead of the webpage. Thanks for any help. Lloyd >-----Original Message----- >The hyperlinks sent to me in an email are not working >correctly. Whe...

Chart Source Data Ranges Changing when Data Sheet updated from text file source.
I have a simple Excel wb with 2 sheets. Sheet 1 is simple Line Charts. Sheet 2 is the data for these charts. The data comes from a text file via the 'Import External Data' tool. The text file is filled throughout the day with data every 5 minutes starting at 00:00. Because the chart will contain 288 data points I've set my series values to"=<data sheet name>!$C$2:$C$289" I have 2 questions. 1) Whenever I refresh the Data Sheet from the external text file the series values in my charts increment by the number of new data points. This is no good as it causes my c...

Visio 2003 #5
Can anyone help please. I bought - legally - a copy of Visio 2003 a couple of years ago b ut have only tried to load today 26th July 2007. I have keyed in the correct Product Code but the message I then get is THE PRODUCT KEY YOU ENTERED REQUIRES A VERSION OF 2000 OR 2002 TO UPGRADE. IF ONE OF THESE VERSIONS IS NOT INSTALLED ON YOUR MACHINE YOU WILL NEED TO SUPPLY IT ON CD ROM IN THE NEXT STEP. As I have never had this software before there is no previous version on my machine so how can I proceed to load and use this new software?? -- Thanks everyone Gordon Sounds like you pu...

Outlook link opens browser, but page cannot be displayed.
Hi, When I click an url in Outlook, it opens IE fine. But it shows "The page cannot be displayed". More curious: if I have a working browserwindow open, and click the link, it works fine. This makes me think that I'm dealing with multiple instances of IE on my machine. Details: IE 6.0.2900.2180 Outlook 2003 11.5608.5606 Windows XP 2002 SP2 Thanks for your help! This problem has been hunting me for months. Paul ...

Exchange problem with Outlook cached
We upgraded a couple of years ago from exchange 2003. Occasionally and from only a few people we've noticed that when using Outlook 2007 in cached mode in our office they will get a box that pops up that reverts back to the old exchange server address wanting a user name and password. When I go into the settings in Outlook specifically under Connection Outlook anywhere Connect to Microsoft Exchange using HTTP has a check there. When I uncheck the box everything returns to normal and may continue like this for a few days or weeks. This doesn't happen to everyone in o...