Hardware and Software maps in Visio

Hi,

I am using Visio 2002 and have created several pages of Basic Network and
Software Maps in order to log all of the Hardware and Software in our
organisation. I have put all of these pages in one Visio file and named them
accordingly.

I have set it up so that when someone double clicks on a specific computer
icon this takes them to the appropriate software page within Visio. For
instance, if PC1 is using Windows XP then when the user double-clicks on PC1
this will take them to the Software Page labelled 'Microsoft' which contains
the object Windows XP, as well as other Microsoft Software. What I am trying
to achieve furthermore is to find out a way of logging Software Serial
Numbers for all programs and operating systems on the Visio software map and
get Visio to automatically calculate the total number of licenses for a
particular object. I, also, need to find a way of helping the user to return
back to the original hardware/PC Visio page by some form of link/hyperlink
if possilble.

To make this more clear, say PC1 is using Windows XP, when someone
double-clicks on PC1 it takes them to 'Microsoft' software map in Visio.
From this point, I need object Windows XP to store all Windows XP licenses
we hold irrespective of which PC is using them and total them up
automatically.

Can someone let me know if there is a way to do this please? If not, would
linking the 'Windows XP' object to a MS Access Database or Excel Spreadsheet
be the only option I am left with? If yes how can I implement this based on
the above information. I have tried the 'Link to Database' option by right
clicking on the Software object and selecting
"Format->Behaviour->Double-Click->Run Macro->Link to database..." but  I
can't get it to export the appropriate information in a dummy database I
have previously created.

Any ideas would be much appreciated.

Jim

visio 3638 articles. 1 followers. Follow

IMHO you appear to be trying to reinvent Systems
Management Server (SMS) with a Visio front-end. As you
appear to have discovered you have requirements for
data acquisition, data archive/storage, query, update(?),
and all of the rest. Before I'd go much further I'd get a
read on what is often the first question "build, buy, or
lease" from management.....
Al

Windows XP licenses
>we hold irrespective of which PC is using them and total
them up
>automatically.
>
>Can someone let me know if there is a way to do this
please? If not, would
>linking the 'Windows XP' object to a MS Access Database
or Excel Spreadsheet
>be the only option I am left with? If yes how can I
implement this based on
>the above information. I have tried the 'Link to
Database' option by right
>clicking on the Software object and selecting
>"Format->Behaviour->Double-Click->Run Macro->Link to
database..." but  I
>can't get it to export the appropriate information in a
dummy database I
>have previously created.
>
>Any ideas would be much appreciated.
>
>Jim
>

>.

0
edlund1 (616)

How can I create a data dial using visio 2002?
I have visio 2002 and never used it before until my work suggested that I should create my Data Dashbords in it. My dashboard includes several Dials that I produce on a monthly basis and basically used to create them myself in excel by hiding half of a donut Chart! If dials can be done in excel, is there a way of updating the data so that the dial automatically updates? If not, is there any other office programme I could use? This is easily done with Visio 2007 Professional using the Data Link and Data Graphics features. In prior versions of Visio you would need to construct your own...

Converting a VISIO document to word
I do not want to sound like a novice, which I am sure you will be able to see. I use Visio 2000 but many of my users do not. They asked for my drawing in word but want to modify it. They would like to use the standard drawing tool in Word. Does anyone know of a way to convert the Visio drawing so that a Microsoft Word user Can work with it as a standard word document. Thank you I typically copy the Visio drawing contents to the clipboard and then paste into a Word document as Word drawing entities. Works rather nicely. Then just save to Word doc. Randall Arnold "Stewart Li...

VISIO 2007 Calendar
PLEASE HELP - This is driving me crazy!!! I am trying to get data from a SQL Table into a VISIO 2007 calendar. The data is being pulled from a view: alter VIEW [dbo].[LQ_CLIENT_FILE_DELIVERY_CALENDAR] as SELECT CONVERT(varchar(10), DATEADD(dd, DJS.I_EXPECTED_FREQUENCY, DJS.D_LOAD_FINISHED), 101) AS [Date to Display], CONVERT(varchar(10), DATEADD(dd, DJS.I_EXPECTED_FREQUENCY, DJS.D_LOAD_FINISHED), 101) AS [Start date], CONVERT(varchar(10), DATEADD(dd, DJS.I_EXPECTED_FREQUENCY, DJS.D_LOAD_FINISHED), 101) AS [End date], LEFT(DJS.VC_NOTE, 50) AS [Subject] FROM dbo.TBL_LOOKUP_...

Synching with a blackberry with Microsoft software only
Is it possible to sych a blackberry curve 8310 with outlook 2007 without using the Research in Motion software? It was very cumbersome and took up alot of RAM unncecessarily. It also loads automatically when you start your computer and I don't want it. Does Microsoft have software that also does it? What would I need to buy? I have MS Office Professional Plus (2007). "Operkyone" <Operkyone@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:67E6049E-624A-4CCE-9617-2EC0CDA48315@microsoft.com... > Is it possible to sych a blackberry curve 8310 with outlo...

Spam software for NT 4.0
I'm running Exchange Server 5.5 over Windows NT 4.0. I'm looking for anti-spam software to run on the server. I have about 30 workstations and would like to find an inexpensive solution that is easy to administrate. I found 6 products that look like they might do the trick. XWALL Hexamail Mailwasher Server Pyzor Spamassasin Vipul's Razor I would appreciate any feedback on these or other products that still work on NT. I realize I will need to download and try a few, but I would love some direction as to which I should look at and which require too much set up or are buggy. Many ...

Excel map available in office 2007?
I have some data for foreign countries that I want to display on a world map. There used to be a map feature in excel (don't remember which version). Is it still available? I have both office 2003 and 2007 but can't seem to find it. Help? If the map I want is not available, can I make my own map and name the regions? ...

How can I get Common Control Objects 1.8 software CD?
Dear Sir/Madam: I am using MS POS 1.0, I had a problem with my USB pole display. I need Common Control Objects 1.8 software. I asked my Microsoft Certified Partner, but he did not know anything about this. My question is: where can I get the Common Control Objects 1.8 software CD? I know RMS has the "Configure Microsoft OPOS Service Objects" program under RMS folder. http://www.logiccontrols.com/web/prodCustDtech.htm#qp1 but MS POS does not have it? The following is from MS POS manual: Install the Common Control Objects 1.8 software. To obtain the Common Control Objects 1.8 soft...

Visio to PowerPoint
I'm going to be trying something at home this weekend but I'm curious if it's going to be worth my effort. I need to re-create the company's organizational chart. It's currently in a PPT file but the text is so tiny that it's impossible to read. I have Visio 2003 Std at home but have never used it. From what MS tells me, this is the *perfect* program for this chart. Fine - I'll give it a shot. Now, the fun part. We use Office 2000 here at work. Oh, and did I mention, I don't have access to Visio here? Am I going to have to tweak and fold and mutter under...

Visio Error
I was working in Visio on a document and I accidently hit my power switch (the one on the floor on the cord) and my PC turned off. When my machine rebooted and I tried to access the same Visio file, a message tells me that I cannot access the file because it is NOT a Visio file???? I tried renaming it, didn't help. This is the second time this happened to me and I can't understand why the program is not recognizing the file. It's very frustrating....does anyone have any answers to this? - Sally Another option is to turn on "Autorecovery" It will automatic...

edit visio templates
how do I open a visio flow chart template and edit vs create? In the File Open dialog, click on the drop arrow next to the Open button to see additional ways you can open a document. You can open as Original to edit a template. -- Mark Nelson Office Graphics - Visio Microsoft Corporation This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. "saw" <saw@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:4C5CE5BF-E13B-4BB8-95DD-818A7A46CA55@microsoft.com... > how do I open a visio flow chart template and edit vs create? ...

Could Excel be used as accounting software?
If so, any tutorials. (I don't want to learn or bky quick books) I jus want to keep tabs on business expenses and I would rather not do it o paper -- Freddy_Kruge ----------------------------------------------------------------------- Freddy_Kruger's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=2962 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=52382 Theoretically yes but practically no. There a lot of other softwares particularly databases that could do a lot than Excel. These include SAP,Oracle etc., Are you saying that excel wou...

Group policy 2k8:an old software (test) package is causing GPO err
At one point in time, forwhatever reason, there was a package "tested" in the default domain policy.. (which also meant it got pushed to servers potentially)... I removed this from group policy a long while ago.. now, as i'm preparing to goto 2008 R2, i ran dcdiag and noticed a ton of errors.. like these: An Warning Event occurred. EventID: 0x00000065 Time Generated: 01/29/2010 12:25:17 Event String: The assignment of application Wise InstallTailor 6.0 from policy Default Domain Policy failed. The error was : %%1274 ...

Money Plus Deluxe continual software update
Every time Money Plus Deluxe starts, it says a software update is required. If I click OK, Money closes and the update runs to 100% with no error displayed. Next time I start Money the same update required message is displayed. Has been going on for a couple of months. The version number is always 17.0.120.727. Am running XP SP2, IE7, AOL version of McAfee. Have tried turning off DEP, setting IE7 security to Default with medium security, and doing the update with McAfee functions disabled, with no improvement. Three questions: 1. Is 17.0.x.727 the current version? 2. Is there a p...

c++ software and Access
Hi All I have a question on access. I am a c++ programmer and I want my software to work with a database(so I thought of access) where I can store the data generated. Can someone point me or explain what all I should do to integrate my softwares output into the database? Any links will be great. thank you vpn Visual Studio has always included the MDAC libary. So, both VB developers..and c++ developers can use the mdb (access) file format. You will need to of course install JET, and thus use it as a standard windows com object (like most of windows works!). As far as I know.....

Editing in Visio Viewer
Hi, I have created a floor map for my office using Visio. I have Visio 2003 but the supervisors that i work with do not. They use Visio Viewer because of security reasons. Now I need to find a way for the supervisors to edit the floor map using Visio Viewer. Is this possible or does anyone have any other suggestions on how to allow them to edit the map? Do they need to do extensive editing? If it's simple you could paste it as a picture into PowerPoint and allow them to draw on top of it. ... Assuming they have PowerPoint. You can use the visio viewer as a com control in your applic...

Export relationship information from Visio to Excel
Hello all, Is there a way to export information regarding relationships from a visio diagram to an excel spreadsheet? In addition, is there a way to tell the excel spreadsheet to eliminate or change a relationship and for that action to be applied onto the visio diagram? thanks, ivan as a general answer I'd have to say "no, not without custom code". You didn't define what you meant as a relationship. al "Ivan Salas" <IvanSalas@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:6332A594-E4AF-4E8B-BA2D-7A4BC17962B3@microsoft.com... > Hello all, > &...

Fix: Visio 2007 x64 Hangs During Database model Creation
I'm posting this here, so hopefully others will have an easier time finding the solution than I did... On Windows XP (x64) Visio 2007 hangs when I try to create a new database model diagram. Performing a "repair" doesn't help at all. For some reason, turning off the "Print Spooler" Service makes things work just fine. I have no idea why this is, but it did the trick. -- Chris Mullins, MCSD.NET, MCPD:Enterprise, MVP C# http://www.coversant.net/blogs/cmullins Hi Chris, Thanks for sharing this information. Do you see the hang when creating other new draw...

Mapping USB drive to physical and logical drives
Need to map a USB drive to its Windows physical drive number and logical driver letter. Have software that does so successfully under Windows 7 but not WinXP and need to get it running on WinXP. First call SetupDiGetClassDevs for GUID_DEVINTERFACE_USB_DEVICE, then iterate with SetupDiGetDeviceRegistryProperty for SPDRP_HARDWAREID. When I find an SPDRP_HARDWAREID that matches my USB device vendor and product IDs, I can use the SP_DEVINFO_DATA to extract DevInst. Then map the abovementioned DevInst via CM_Get_Child to a child instance. Then call SetupDiGetClassDevs for GUID_DEVINT...

Shrink wrapped software?
Hi, Can anyone tell me whats contained 'in the box' when we recieve Store Ops. We will be receiving all the hardware equipment (POS, scanner, printer and till) and the supplier is also sending the software. I'm not too sure what to expect in the delivery. Can I expect the software arriving shrink wrapped with CDs and manuals. My previous experience with Microsoft software (Exchange, Windows etc) is that it comes in a boring brown cardboard box with afew cd and a paper licence thrown in. It then takes an expensive IT Pro to install. My point is - is single lane Store Ops just li...

M$ Money 2007 Automatic Software Update Problem...
I'm using MS Money 2007. Whenever I runs it, it says "To operate correctly,click 'ok' to let Money download the software update." But I click ok, it says "A software update is already in progress.Please try again when the update is complete." I never update successfully. Can I disable that useless software update???? Getting the same message but my update runs and says it has completed then prompts again every time I start Money 2007 Home & Business. I spent some considerable time on several Microsoft support chats with no solution. -- Eric Bennett ...

Anyway to change the field mapping for CRM to SFO CRM Contact form
Oddly, the Direct phone number in the CRM form is only visable under the Other Phone number option in the SFO client CRM Contact form. This means that all of the users need to open the contact, click the dropdown and choose Other to see the Direct number. Not good. Anyway to change the default CRM Contact form in the system so it shows the Other contact be default? Thanks in advance Hello! You can modify the Contact-Form in SFO and add the "other"-Field to the Form. -- Christian support@mscrm-addons.com www.mscrm-addons.com Your company for MS-CRM ADD-ONS! GroupCalenda...

Micros Hardware with RMS store Ops
Can anyone tell me if they have installed the RMS software on Micros terminals and if it was successful without issue? Depends on OS. If it is teh WinCe version it willnot work Afshin Alikhani - afshin@retailrealm.co.uk Retail Realm = = = = = = = = "Brian Griffin" <Brian Griffin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:25B15405-20B7-4863-B56C-6A712A37EFEF@microsoft.com... > Can anyone tell me if they have installed the RMS software on Micros > terminals and if it was successful without issue? ...

running 16 Bit software
Is it possible to run 16 bit software on a 64 bit system? I know it has WOW64 to run 32 bit software and I think 32 bit Windows had another WOW shell to run 16 bit so I guess I am asking if the old WOW shell can be run on a 64 bit machine or if there is any other workaround that does not involve rewriting the software. On 26/07/2010 in message <OGphHLOLLHA.148@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl> Lorne wrote: >Is it possible to run 16 bit software on a 64 bit system? > >I know it has WOW64 to run 32 bit software and I think 32 bit Windows had >another WOW shell to run 1...

Data import/data map in CRM Titan/4.0
I'm currently trying to build a data map for importing simple csv-files prior to the real data import. If I'm using the RCO Titan Image from Microsoft, the data mapping works fine. But if I'm using our own deployment that obviously only differs in the Excel 2007 version (it's german), the following happens: After importing the sample data file (either csv or txt), all Excel 2007 columns will be written in a single line including the simicolon delimiters. E.g. salutation; name; address;... will be written as a single attribute instead of writting mulitple lines writting e...

map own tab cell selection
See http://www.xldynamic.com/source/xld.xlFAQ0008.html How To Tab To Selected Cells -- HTH Bob Phillips ... looking out across Poole Harbour to the Purbecks (remove nothere from the email address if mailing direct) "tinytrev" <tinytrev@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:238BE653-56E7-4523-BD60-486A393116A9@microsoft.com... > ...