Getting shape instances to update when master's dimensions are changed

I have a shape master that is a rectange with some text inside it.
When I edit it to make it longer (to fit more text in it), the instances of
the master on the page do not update.
Can anyone help me with this please?

Many thanks.

0
Captain
1/8/2004 10:54:35 PM
visio 3638 articles. 1 followers. Follow

You might be editing the wrong master.

Stencil files have masters, you drag these to your drawing. Visio creates a
local master and uses this for your shapes. If you edit a stencil shape, it
will not change the local master, or instances of the shape. If you change
the local master, it will update the instances. Use drawing explorer to view
your local masters.

"Captain Pugwash" <Postmaster@(NoSpam)barnfieldhome.plus.net> wrote in
message news:3clLb.20330$qx2.2261475@stones.force9.net...
> I have a shape master that is a rectange with some text inside it.
> When I edit it to make it longer (to fit more text in it), the instances
of
> the master on the page do not update.
> Can anyone help me with this please?
>
> Many thanks.

0
rmckenna1 (7)
1/9/2004 6:43:53 AM
Hi Captain

You have to show the document stencil (File->Stencils->Document
Stencil), and then edit the master there.
Then, all instances will be updated.

Then you may drag the edited master on the document stencil to your
stencil containing the master that you actually wanted to change and
replace it.

Hope this helps

Daniel

Captain Pugwash wrote:

> I have a shape master that is a rectange with some text inside it.
> When I edit it to make it longer (to fit more text in it), the instances of
> the master on the page do not update.
> Can anyone help me with this please?
>
> Many thanks.

0
dani
1/9/2004 7:18:05 AM
Well, I tried both of these ideas, and it still didn't work.  I have been
changing the master in the document stencil all the time.  I have
successfully changed other properties in the master and got it to update all
instances automatically, but it just seems to be the Width & Height
properties in the Shape Transform section that do not update on the
instances.

I need it to update all the instances of the shapes automatically, as there
are about 500 of them; so dragging out new instances from a new master is
not really an option.

Any other ideas???

Pugwash

"dani<->moser_a_t_hot<->mail.com moser_a_t_hot mail.com >" <"dani<--> wrote
in message news:eD$a7Co1DHA.556@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
> Hi Captain
>
> You have to show the document stencil (File->Stencils->Document
> Stencil), and then edit the master there.
> Then, all instances will be updated.
>
> Then you may drag the edited master on the document stencil to your
> stencil containing the master that you actually wanted to change and
> replace it.
>
> Hope this helps
>
> Daniel
>
> Captain Pugwash wrote:
>
> > I have a shape master that is a rectange with some text inside it.
> > When I edit it to make it longer (to fit more text in it), the instances
of
> > the master on the page do not update.
> > Can anyone help me with this please?
> >
> > Many thanks.

0
Captain
1/20/2004 8:32:37 PM
Editing a master will not update cells in the instance shape that have been
locally overridden.  If you look at the Shapesheet, local values are shown
in blue while inherited values are black.  It is quite possible that common
cells like Width and Height are local in your shapes.

Another way to update your instances is to select all of them and open the
Size & Position window from the View menu.  You can type in a single value
and update every shape at once.

--
Mark Nelson
Microsoft Corporation

"Captain Pugwash" <Postmaster@(NoSpam)barnfieldhome.plus.net> wrote in
message news:ZhgPb.17822$tQ6.760059@wards.force9.net...
> Well, I tried both of these ideas, and it still didn't work.  I have been
> changing the master in the document stencil all the time.  I have
> successfully changed other properties in the master and got it to update
all
> instances automatically, but it just seems to be the Width & Height
> properties in the Shape Transform section that do not update on the
> instances.
>
> I need it to update all the instances of the shapes automatically, as
there
> are about 500 of them; so dragging out new instances from a new master is
> not really an option.
>
> Any other ideas???
>
> Pugwash
>

> "dani<->moser_a_t_hot<->mail.com moser_a_t_hot mail.com >" <"dani<-->
wrote
> in message news:eD$a7Co1DHA.556@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
> > Hi Captain
> >
> > You have to show the document stencil (File->Stencils->Document
> > Stencil), and then edit the master there.
> > Then, all instances will be updated.
> >
> > Then you may drag the edited master on the document stencil to your
> > stencil containing the master that you actually wanted to change and
> > replace it.
> >
> > Hope this helps
> >
> > Daniel
> >
> > Captain Pugwash wrote:
> >
> > > I have a shape master that is a rectange with some text inside it.
> > > When I edit it to make it longer (to fit more text in it), the
instances
> of
> > > the master on the page do not update.
> > > Can anyone help me with this please?
> > >
> > > Many thanks.

0
marknel (439)

Excel, how do I get ALT F C to work the same as ALT F Enter C ?
The above is an example, but it aplies to any menu. Before, if I pressed say, ALT F, the drop down menu would appear and I could press, say, C and get to the submenu. Now I have to press Enter, before the C, which is a bother. Thanks. On my Windows 2000 version 5.00.2195 with Excel '97 and Excel 2003 the Alt F C still works. What version software / Excel are you using? -- Bryan Hessey ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Bryan Hessey's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=21059 View this thread: http://www....

Trying to Get Subset of XML
I want to display a segment of an XML (see below) file in a datagrid. I want to select a specific <EventID> and get all of its children into a dataset so that I can bind a datagrid to those values. I am trying an expression as follows but I get an error "Value of type 'System.Xml.XmlNode' cannot be converted to 'System.Xml.XmlNodeList'." myNodes = xmldoc.ChildNodes("/Dataset/Events/[ShowName=Round 2]") What is the correct way to "get" that set of nodes and convert them to a dataset? ================== Portion of XML File ===============...

Changing which database Business Portal points to
If I install Business Portal 2.5 (GP) and point it to our Great Plains development server with an old Dynamics database, once we decide to take it live, how do I go back and point it to the live Great Plains server? Is this something that can only be done during the installation? Let me preface my response by saying I only have experience with BP 3.0.... In BP 3.0 several tables are created in the Dynamics database to support the various BP functions. Unless you plan to move or copy those tables you will probably have to reinstall BP 2.5 in order to have them created. Our attempt to cop...

Formulas not updating ?
I have a problem with my spreadsheet under Excel XP. The problem has to do with cell references not updating when a row is inserted into the worksheet. The formulas in the cells are relatively simple: =B13 and =DATE(YEAR(B10),MONTH(B10),DAY(B10)+7) I can copy a row and insert it elsewhere or just insert a blank row and the cell references in rows below are not updated in all cases. It seems that rows that are separated from the inserted rows by a blank row are updated. Is this a known issue or does anyone have any suggestions on how to fix this? The spreadsheet is intended to p...

windows update 12-25-09
I believe ninety nine percent of the updates failed on my computer. In fact I am unable to download IE8, and several other programs. I am running an IE7 in my computer and I am getting the warning that my os does not support it. What is my operating system? Windows vista basic home, is'nt funny!... Harry Dupre wrote: > I believe ninety nine percent of the updates failed on my computer. > In fact I am unable to download IE8, and several other programs. I > am running an IE7 in my computer and I am getting the warning that > my os does not support it. > > Wh...

Changing Titles by a formula
From cell A1:A10 I have standard titles that are linked to another sheet. I only need to change the office and date per each title. Is thier a way to do that making the office and date a formula in another cell? example of title ABC Comp, Office 38L Sales as of 6/07/2004 I need to only keep changeing the 38L and date. Any suggestions----Thanks Say Office # is in Column 'C' in cell A1: ="ABC Comp, Office "&C1&" Sales as of "&Today() ----- Heather wrote: ----- From cell A1:A10 I have standard titles that are linked to ...

How do I get excel files to open automatically from directories?
When I try to open excel files from the directory or from desktop I only get a blank worksheet not the file. I have to then go through File Open to get the file I want. There must be a way to have them open automatically. On Mon, 2 Jan 2006 21:22:01 -0800, Damian <Damian@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >When I try to open excel files from the directory or from desktop I only get >a blank worksheet not the file. I have to then go through File Open to get >the file I want. > >There must be a way to have them open automatically. Go to Tools -> Options -> Gen...

I can't get rid of 1 "Payment to Send' Reminder-M07
On my Home Page in the Reminder section, I have a "1 Payment to Send" listed there. But there is NO payment to send. I"ve opened up back-up copies as far back as May and the reminder is there, but there is no payment that needs sending. Does anybody have an idea how I can get rid of this Reminder? Just removing the Reminder from Home Page doesn't do it. When you put the Reminder back on the Home Page, the "Payment to Send" is still there. Clicking on the link just takes me to Bill Summary page. ...

getting added to other peoples meetings in shared calendar
I opened shared calendars in my group by choosing their name and then the email messages went out giving them access to my calendar and requesting to view theirs. Ever since, I have been copied in as a "required attendee" on all meetings for everyone. I get the calendar items on my calendar and emails requesting Accept or Decline in my inbox. When others view view thru their outlook, they do not see me as a required attendee? What am I doing wrong? are you adding them as delegates or just giving them permission to view the calendar (by right clicking on the calendar fold...

can't change/delete bills and deposits
suddenly one day i realized that when i tried to change a bill, i could click "ok" but nothing would happen. I thought it was because i upgraded to 2004, so i deleted the bills and rescheduled. about 5 of the bills will not delete either. the error message is: "Money could not write to your Money file. The operation could not be performed or another application finished this task before you. Please try again." Now some of the newly scheduled bills will not allow me to change the properties, i click ok but nothing happens when i edit the series. I have repaired ...

Outlook 2007: When i Save a New Rule outlook Change it automatically...
Hi people! I have this problem with Outlook 2007. I have 15 e-mails addresses in my outlook, but i can=B4t create the rules for send all the received mails to each emails folder. Example: I want to create a simple rule that move all the e-mail that i get from "example1@example1.com" to the folder "Inbox/ example1@example1.com". When i create the rule, all works fine, i select the correct e-mail account name, the correct destination folder, etc... but when I hit the SAVE button in rules window, Outlook 2007 changes the account automatically to another one. Not automatically...

Change Row/Column Height & Width
I know I should be able to automatically set a row height to the max necessary by hovering the cursor between the 2 rows I want to adjust and double-clicking, but sometimes this doesn't always work. Why is that that - do I need to adjust a setting? And is there any way to set it so that if text is added or deleted the row height would change automatically so thatthe text fit appropriately? Set the row format to Autofit and cells to Wrap Text Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP On Tue, 19 May 2009 12:14:04 -0700, DaveL <DaveL@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I know I should be ...

Changing Functional Currency #4
Try to change the functional currency to Z-CNY. ERROR = Activity for this currency already exist. Finance made 2 GL transactions. Can we remove the transactions (Tools >> Utilities >> Financial >> Remove History) or (File >> Maintenance >> Clear Data ) then change the functional currency? Which tables should I remove history or clear data. Can someone on the board help us? regards, Once you process a transaction, you are stuck with the functional currency. I have not seen a table fix for this problem on the board. Consider creating a new database an...

Cannot get my CImageList to display images?
Ok i am successfully diplaying images in my tree controls but not my list controls. I am using the following but not image is being displayed??? int nIndex = mListCtrl.InsertItem(LVIF_IMAGE | LVIF_TEXT,0,"hello", 0,0,7,0L); Where 7 is a valid index into my image list! Please help? That really doesn't help much. Since you got the tree control working I'm assuming that you are calling the list control's SetImageIist. Also for debugging purposes call GetImageCount on your image list to see how many images it loaded. Let me also point out that you can call this ...

Can Work thread get a windows class and manipulate it?
Suppose that I create a work thread when my dialog box started, then in the thread I get the pointer to the dialog mfc class and call updateData method. Does that work? I tried, but failed. Is there any other way to do? thanks!! No, it won't work, don't even waste time trying. It is almost guaranteed to fail. You do not manipulate the windows owned by one thread from a different thread. What you do is PostMessage requests from the worker thread to the main UI thread, usually to the window that contains the controls. The fact that you are using UpdateData already says you are in t...

Change default "SaveAs" to *.msg rather than *.html
Hi!, Using Outlook 03, I regularly need to save emails and prefer to save as *.msg so the attachments are contained within the one file. How can you change the default SaveAs command to Save as Type in a *.msg format (rather than *.html) so the type is already *.msg without having to use the pull down? Thank you Troy Outlook provides no way to change that. -- Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP Author of Microsoft Outlook Programming - Jumpstart for Administrators, Power Users, and Developers http://www.outlookcode.com/jumpstart.aspx "TroyB" <boeky72@hotmail.com>...

Update another CPropertySheet page
I have a program which contains 3 CPropertySheet pages. When I add the change the value in Page 1, then it should automatically update a corresponding field in the Page 2. How can I access from one page to another? Thanks. Yan yan wrote: > I have a program which contains 3 CPropertySheet pages. When I add the > change the value in Page 1, then it should automatically update a > corresponding field in the Page 2. How can I access from one page to > another? > > Thanks. > > Yan > > You cannot do that. When you change a value in Page 1 there are cases ...

change column name from letters to numbers?
I'm importing a 3rd party CSV file into Excel and then comparing some of the contents to a printed spec. Each numbered field in the spec corresponds to a column in the work sheet. I'd like to change the column headers from letters to numbers. Is that possible? Tools-->Options, General tab. Check the R1C1 Reference Style. ******************* ~Anne Troy www.OfficeArticles.com www.MyExpertsOnline.com "Jerry" <jerry@nowhere.com> wrote in message news:OoyPef$eFHA.3048@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl... > I'm importing a 3rd party CSV file into Excel and then comparing ...

Automatic update of information in a spreadsheet
Hi, I am using Microsoft Excel 2000. I have just done a spreadsheet which contains information about patients. In one worksheet I have the raw data and then in others I have copied columns across and then used IF(AND) statements to abstract the information I need, e.g. to work out how many males there are in each of the hospitals. What I need to know is how do I set it up so that when a new entry is added to the raw data, i.e. another patient in a new row, it automatically updates the information in the other worksheets? What is happening at the moment is when I add another row the IF s...

Don't get some emails;
Some emails don't come thru. From another computer I can forward messages to my email site but don't receive new messages. Also not getting some emails from various sites. ...

Putting Excel Charts into a Word document that's getting too big
I am creating a Word document (our Annual Report) in which I will have many charts and graphs that were created in Excel. Currently, there will be at least 26 graphs/charts in the document. In the past, there have apparently been problems with not having enough space to save the Word document because it gets too big. The document itself is only about 36 pages, but, as I mentioned, within the 36 pages are at least 26 graphs and charts. I'm looking for a way to copy the graphs/charts into Excel without it taking so much memory. One solution we thought of was to only paste the gra...

Changing of range (Address) to (Cell)
Hi people I have encounter a problem with the use of range From a recorded macro, it's listed this way ActiveChart.SetSourceData Source:=Sheets("Trend").Range("A1:M2,A24:M28"), PlotBy:=xlRow And I edit it to this way ActiveChart.SetSourceData Source:=Sheets("Trend").Range("A1:M2," & Cells(StartX, StartY), Cells(LastX, LastY)), PlotBy:=xlRow And obviously VBA compiler won't let me go this easily, it happen to give an "evil-comment" on my source range, May i know how can i solve this Thank You Hi Kaiyang, Try this, assuming the...

Update table with Multi-select list box
I have a database with a tab control that has several pages in it (my boss loves tabs for navigation). Each page has a list box based on a category of training events that members of my office attend and the box is based on a query that selects the training events for the tab page's respective category. I select an item from the list, click a button, and go to a form with a text box showing the name of the training event I previously selected. On that form, I want to select mutiple names of office members from a list box (already created and source is the Office Roster table) and then c...