first time user, need help

I have heard lot about visio but never got a chance to work with visio. Just 
now I downloaded visio 2007 - 6o days trial version to test it out.

Background: I have one application developed in access front end and sql 
server 2000 as backend. I am ready to move this application in .net with sql 
server 2008.

What I would like to do with Visio 2007...

1. Connect my old database (SQL 2000) and create data diagram with detailed 
documentation for a reference of old application.
2. I will make necessary changes in database (in visio)  as requirements 
changed since last development.
3. Create new databse in SQL 2008 with new changes and detailed 
documentation.
4. Create data flow diagram.

Can I do all these things in Visio. I would really appreciate your help if 
somebody can guide me step by step or direct me to any website where I can 
get more information.

Thanks.





0
9/12/2008 7:53:11 PM
visio 3638 articles. 1 followers. Follow

3 Replies
444 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 0

Not all of it with the downloaded version, it doesn't support forward 
engineering of databases.
Dataflow diagrams are doable.
Reverse engineering of the ss2000 should be doable
 http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa140264(office.10).aspx
al

"Sunny" <sunny_1178@hotmail.com> wrote in message 
news:euxqwERFJHA.4712@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
>I have heard lot about visio but never got a chance to work with visio. 
>Just now I downloaded visio 2007 - 6o days trial version to test it out.
>
> Background: I have one application developed in access front end and sql 
> server 2000 as backend. I am ready to move this application in .net with 
> sql server 2008.
>
> What I would like to do with Visio 2007...
>
> 1. Connect my old database (SQL 2000) and create data diagram with 
> detailed documentation for a reference of old application.
> 2. I will make necessary changes in database (in visio)  as requirements 
> changed since last development.
> 3. Create new databse in SQL 2008 with new changes and detailed 
> documentation.
> 4. Create data flow diagram.
>
> Can I do all these things in Visio. I would really appreciate your help if 
> somebody can guide me step by step or direct me to any website where I can 
> get more information.
>
> Thanks.
>
>
>
>
> 

0
edlund1 (616)
9/12/2008 9:28:05 PM
How about documenation?

"AlEdlund" <edlund@ameritech.net> wrote in message 
news:A0703095-EFA3-4305-8167-A004C29E672F@microsoft.com...
> Not all of it with the downloaded version, it doesn't support forward 
> engineering of databases.
> Dataflow diagrams are doable.
> Reverse engineering of the ss2000 should be doable
> http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa140264(office.10).aspx
> al
>
> "Sunny" <sunny_1178@hotmail.com> wrote in message 
> news:euxqwERFJHA.4712@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
>>I have heard lot about visio but never got a chance to work with visio. 
>>Just now I downloaded visio 2007 - 6o days trial version to test it out.
>>
>> Background: I have one application developed in access front end and sql 
>> server 2000 as backend. I am ready to move this application in .net with 
>> sql server 2008.
>>
>> What I would like to do with Visio 2007...
>>
>> 1. Connect my old database (SQL 2000) and create data diagram with 
>> detailed documentation for a reference of old application.
>> 2. I will make necessary changes in database (in visio)  as requirements 
>> changed since last development.
>> 3. Create new databse in SQL 2008 with new changes and detailed 
>> documentation.
>> 4. Create data flow diagram.
>>
>> Can I do all these things in Visio. I would really appreciate your help 
>> if somebody can guide me step by step or direct me to any website where I 
>> can get more information.
>>
>> Thanks.
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
> 


0
9/12/2008 9:56:31 PM
The database modeling tool has well published issues with not feeding back 
everything that a user puts into it (like comments associated with 
definitions). Frankly I've been impressed with what's under the covers in 
ss2008 in the way of documenting what is being built. Given my 'druthers I'd 
use a ss2008 import to get a copy of the source and then work from there on 
the database pieces. The work that has been accomplished in the area of 
integration services since ss2000 is astounding, but I'm just an old 
networking guy out here in the corn fields so you might want to take that 
with a grain of salt.
al

"Sunny" <sunny_1178@hotmail.com> wrote in message 
news:OeuZrJSFJHA.4056@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
> How about documenation?
>
> "AlEdlund" <edlund@ameritech.net> wrote in message 
> news:A0703095-EFA3-4305-8167-A004C29E672F@microsoft.com...
>> Not all of it with the downloaded version, it doesn't support forward 
>> engineering of databases.
>> Dataflow diagrams are doable.
>> Reverse engineering of the ss2000 should be doable
>> http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa140264(office.10).aspx
>> al
>>
>> "Sunny" <sunny_1178@hotmail.com> wrote in message 
>> news:euxqwERFJHA.4712@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
>>>I have heard lot about visio but never got a chance to work with visio. 
>>>Just now I downloaded visio 2007 - 6o days trial version to test it out.
>>>
>>> Background: I have one application developed in access front end and sql 
>>> server 2000 as backend. I am ready to move this application in .net with 
>>> sql server 2008.
>>>
>>> What I would like to do with Visio 2007...
>>>
>>> 1. Connect my old database (SQL 2000) and create data diagram with 
>>> detailed documentation for a reference of old application.
>>> 2. I will make necessary changes in database (in visio)  as requirements 
>>> changed since last development.
>>> 3. Create new databse in SQL 2008 with new changes and detailed 
>>> documentation.
>>> 4. Create data flow diagram.
>>>
>>> Can I do all these things in Visio. I would really appreciate your help 
>>> if somebody can guide me step by step or direct me to any website where 
>>> I can get more information.
>>>
>>> Thanks.
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>
>
> 

0
edlund1 (616)
9/12/2008 11:45:56 PM
Reply:

Similar Artilces:

Help...to many birthdays
I currently use Outlook 2000 as my contact manager. I have over 7000 contacts, most with birthdays in the birthday heading. My problem is that , when I pull up my calendar, all of the birthdays show on the calendar. There are some days when I'll get 30 birthdays showing up. Is there any way to configure the system so that the birthdays will not show up on the calendar view? Thanks for the help. Barry "Barry" <barryasman@verizon.net> wrote in message news:NKj5f.2794$fC3.1066@trndny01... >I currently use Outlook 2000 as my contact manager. I have over 7000 > ...

Need an Excel formula
Hello, Can someone please tell me how to make a formula in Excel that can calculate 20% multiplied by (Gross pay) minus dependance, multiplied by 38.46. -- Looking for nothing, yet searching for everything. =((gross_pay*20%)-dependence)*38.46 change the names with the cells holding the values. -- HTH Bob (there's no email, no snail mail, but somewhere should be gmail in my addy) "Kirschwasser" <azureferal@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:FF4ACBC1-C8F8-4F98-A3F6-3DEEC7DB43C8@microsoft.com... > Hello, > > Can someone please tell me how to make a formula ...

HELP: Excel changed all my hyperlinks A:
Help For some reason Excel went and changed all my hyperlinks to point to my floppy drive a:\ -WHY? Is there any way I can automatically remove the a:\ hyperlink references, manually renaming is going to take ages. Excel's replace function doesn't seem to work with hyperlinks :-( -Arska Hello Arska, Have you tried find and replace? Press ctrl+h Find what: A:\ Replace with: C:\My Documents (assuming this is where the file you want to link) Then hit Replace All or if your using xl 2002 you can go to EDIT|links then hit change source Hope this could help Jon-jon "Ars...

Need advice to troubleshoot a computer
My parent's computer has stopped working. It is on, but is not doing anything (the monitor is not receiving a signal). It will not reboot or even shut down via the buttons on the front. I need to figure out what the problem is and whether it is fixable. I was planning to redo their hard drive soon as it was orginally partitioned into 4 sections of 10GB each and the C drive is basically full while the other drives are not. I have already transferred as much as possible to the other drives, but it is now full, mostly with windows files and things i am not sure I can move. My plan...

Painfully slow lag times in Newsletter Templates
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel I'm having a horrible time trying to use the newsletter templates provided in Word 2008. The typing lag time is painfully slow -- such that I can type 3-4 sentences before it shows the first word. <br><br>I've tried to close Toolbox and to work in Print Layout, but no improvement. Have also uninstalled and reinstalled Office. <br><br>Any tips? Yeah, it's a good idea not to uninstall and re-install Office, because it usually makes the situation worse by giving you new prob...

compare columns return first duplicate only
I have 2 worksheets: First worksheet, 1st column has department abbreviations, 2nd columns has the formal department names names Second worksheet, 1st column has abreviations, 2nd column contains department nicknames, 3rd column contains floor space by the floor for each department, 4th column contains the total workspace for each department. (I did a vlookup to sum) On a new worksheet First column compare abreviations from first column in other worksheets and return the nickname (and only first duplicate instances) and in the Second column return the total workspace for the department (incl...

Blank Screen without Summary in Outlook Today Help Please
When I open my outlook today I see my summary flash just for a milisecond and then the screen is blank except for the words for the messages, tasks and calendar. Help if you can. What can I do to correct this? Thanks Steve ...

How to go back from 350 worksheet to the first worksheet in 1 file
Hi.. i hv 1 question to ask. Assume that i have more than 200 worksheet into 1 excel file, so imaging that i need to go back to the first worksheet from 350 page. So how should i do? Can i add the button like 'GO BACK TO FIRST PAGE' inside the 350 page, so when i click that button, it will go back to the first page, or any better suggesstion? Thanks in advanced. Regards, Wilmos Lee Hi try right-clicking with your mosue on the sheet navigation buttons in the lower left corner of your workbook. This should open a list of all your worksheets -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany ...

need to make a template for weekly calendar ASAP that shows pictu.
need to make a template for weekly calendar ASAP that shows pictures. I do not know how to save the template so that it can be used later. I am reviewing the help again about how to make a template but I misunderstand something; it does not work. The template i want/need is for a weekly calender that shows appointments from Outlook and also has pictures that stay for up to a month; I do not want to put in pictures all over each week. Please guide me. Thank you! ! -d Hi I'm no expert but you might want to try making the document (with pictures) that you want as the template an...

microsoft outlook email arriving with wrong date and time
Please guys everyone knows about the date settings on microsoft outlook so this fault is alittle harder than that to locate. Emails while in your own computer or sent to yourself have the correct date and time. When opened in the receiving computer it has the correct date and time. But as listed unopened in the receiving computer it has the incorrect and time. date might be the previous day or the next day. Tme has no relationo time sent. This Microsoft outlook using office 2000 or office 2007 on the same computer. Any advice appreciated. The received time is compute...

Trying to create a new Address List that includes both users and g
I am trying to use the "Create Exchange Address List" wizard in the Exchange System Manager under the Recipients folder. I want to create a list that includes users that meet a criteria and groups that meet a criteria. I can get a list of users or a list of groups filtered the way I want them, but I can't figure out how to get a list that includes both users and groups. I want to have the list available in the Address List drop-down list in Outlook. Any help would be appreciated. I just discovered that I can create two separate lists - one with the filtered users and ...

Chart help
I have a chart that shows sales data for each company that has done work for us by month for the past year. Problem is that if there were no sales for that company for a given month, that month dosn't show in the graph. What I need to show is a graph by company for every month with a 0 sales total for that month if there were no sales. I know I could just go through and put in a zero sale for each company for any month that they did not have a sale, but... I seem to remember that there is a setting that will do this for me. Can someone tell me if I am corect and where this setting is? ...

E-mail Addresses Tab Not Displaying in AD Users and Computers
Howdy, With Win2k3 & Exchange 2k3 SP2. I have several users that are not displaying the "E-mail Addresses" Tab on the properties of their user object. As well they do not list in the GAL. Any ideas or pointers would be helpful. Thanks, Dan Foxley That would suggest that they are not mail or mailbox enabled. In ADUC right click, Exchange tasks.... Nue <danfoxley@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1146514613.576153.123400@j33g2000cwa.googlegroups.com... > Howdy, > > With Win2k3 & Exchange 2k3 SP2. I have several users that are not > displaying the "...

general questions.. please help
can i know normally do people convert text files to xml format? how can we do to convert data from text files to xml? is it possible? to generate xml from jsp is it done automatically or manually? thanks in advance! appreciate if there are any links helpful... thanks all of u! jeremy *-----------------------* Posted at: www.GroupSrv.com *-----------------------* Hello Jeremy, > can i know normally do people convert text files to xml format? not normally by hand, but it can be done. Doing it with a program is better. > how can we do to convert data from text files to x...

Help! COUNTIF and SUMPRODUCT are eating my brain!
This *should* be easy, I guess, but I keep getting errors where I canno see a problem with my formula (Tho' admittedly I'm by no means an Exce expert). Here's my task: I have column G labeled "Tasks" and the cell values are either "Open" "Closed", "Cancelled", or blank. Then I have column L labeled "Name and the cell values are, of course, names. I'm simply trying to come u with a formula that will tally the tasks that are "Open" and of those how many are assigned to "Smith". After fruitless attempts using COUN...

need to display maximum value of corresponding values in excel
Hi, I have a requirement to display the maximum scored students based on the marks. i can able to display only one student if more than one scored the same marks i want to display there name also. example sl.no studentname mark 1 john 90 2 paul 95 3 sam 80 4 michel 95 using this formula =INDEX(B:B,MATCH(MAX(C:C),C:C,0)); i can able to display the value only "paul". i want to display both paul and michel. Please help us on this. Thanks in Advance. --- frmsrcurl: http://msgroups.net/microsoft.public.excel.misc/ 95 =MAX((G1:G21="paul")*...

IM 10 Help
Hi, Need some help with IM 10 that came with GP 10 BE. I have tried following examples and manuel. Trying get vendor file in. 1. I have created a new intergration. 2. Added a new defined source. It is a comma delimited file. I give source a name. Browse and select file. Tell it is comma delimited and first row holds field names. Goto next tab "Columns". See all my source field names. 3. Add the Dynamics Vendor Destination. 4. go to mapping. the fields look ok. Two rules have source and rest have default. It will not let me change the rule drop down. So only those two rows can s...

Need the download again
My computer got infected by viruses and through system restorals and cleaning, Money Premium was wiped out. I have my data on an external drive, but don't have a workable program anymore, just parts of it. Most companies e-mail you the link to download the program but not this one. I can't seem to find it anywhere. I have tried the live chat deal, but since I can't open up the program, I can't get the product code, and I'm not goingt to pay $35 for it. I've e-mailed them once and just tried again. My next alternative is to cancel the service and order the CD. Th...

total VC newbie: a simple dialog box
*I only need a single word from user*, and my program hasn't main window. Well, I'm surrounded with books and tutorials, API, SDK, MSDN&KB, from VC++ for dummies to Petzold & lotsa stuff, but I still can't do such a simple thing!!! I'm with VC 6.0, Windows XP. I'll try to format my questions: 1) Is it complicated/unnessesary to do this manually? If not, what should I write? 2) Automated resourse production - what do I do with all those add/insert instruments? 0) I'd like to do it without use of MFC, does it make the "goal" (yes, laugh at me) more/les...

Times and Frequency?
Thanks for reading this post... I have some data from a hospital that I need to analyze. Column A contains the time a surgery started Column B contains the time the surgery ended. A B 8:24 9:35 8:32 9:50 8:45 10:31 etc. etc. Now, I want to be able to determine how many surgeries were in progress at: 8:00 8:30 9:00 9:30 10:00 etc. Any help would be greatly appreciated. THANK YOU! Jim Hi lets say your input data is on sheet1 and you have in column a on sheet2 your starting times. Enter the following formula in B1 on this second sheet: =SUMPRODUCT(--('s...

Receiving email (Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)
When im half way through receiving a list of emails I loose my internet connection, as I have a dodgy phone line. I then have to press send and receive again because obviously I get an error on outlook express and when I click send and receive it starts from the begining of the list again. This has been going on for months now and ive got a list of about 11000 emails waiting to come through. Any ideas on what I should do? Is there any way of each time you click send and receive it starts from where it got upto last time e.g 30 0f 11000? Please help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Cheers Steve ...

SQL Statement needed
Ok guys, I need some SQL statement help. I need a SQL statement that will pull up all intemlookupcodes, descriptions, and retail prices. I have that much already. I need the rest of the sql code to to also pull up the saleprice if the salestartdate >= the currentdate and the saleenddate <= currentdate. Basically I want a table pulled up that shows ALL Items in my database with the retail price, but will only display the sale price if it is currently on sale. If it is not CURRENTLY on sale, then the sale price will be = $0 because on that day the statement is run, the item is n...

Restrict User Security
Hi, Is there a way to prevent a user who has access to "User Security" window, from assigning self to the "POWERUSER" role? We have 1 system admin who has system wide access. We also have a support team, who only have permissions to create and maintain users - User Setup, User Access and User Security. We would like to prevent the support users to grant the "POWERUSER" role to themselves. Thanks, Sandeep. Lets think this through. if there was a way to block POWERUSER assignments, then what would prevent them from simply assigning every role to themselve...

Help creating updateable query
Trying to create an updateable query, but, I keep getting "Operation must use updateable query" message when trying to do the following: Table A: Table B: LOC VALUE LOC VALUE A 10 A <blank> B 40 B <blank> B 20 C <blank> ...

Contacts Panel Missing! Help?
Version Outlook Express 6.0 In the left hand column, the only panel I have is "Folders." How can I make the "Contacts" column also appear on the left hand side? I've tried everything (properties, views, etc.) Thanks in Advance, Christine Check things out under the View menu > Layout command. Please note: This newsgroup is for support of Outlook 97, 98, 2000, 2002 & 2003 from the Office family for Intel PCs. For Outlook Express (OE) support try posting in one of these newsgroups: microsoft.public.inetexplorer.ie4.outlookexpress for OE 4.x microsoft.publi...