Export relationship information from Visio to Excel

Hello all,

Is there a way to export information regarding relationships from a visio
diagram to an excel spreadsheet?

In addition, is there a way to tell the excel spreadsheet to eliminate or
change a relationship and for that action to be applied onto the visio
diagram?

thanks,
ivan
0
IvanSalas (6)
6/20/2008 4:01:02 PM
visio 3638 articles. 1 followers. Follow

as a general answer I'd have to say "no, not without custom code". You
didn't define what you meant as a relationship.
al

"Ivan Salas" <IvanSalas@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello all,
>
> Is there a way to export information regarding relationships from a visio
> diagram to an excel spreadsheet?
>
> In addition, is there a way to tell the excel spreadsheet to eliminate or
> change a relationship and for that action to be applied onto the visio
> diagram?
>
> thanks,
> ivan

0
edlund1 (616)
6/20/2008 5:23:10 PM
By relationship, I simply mean a link between one object and the other (a
arrow or a line).

What I really want to be able to do is to create a "master diagram" that
contains all the relevant information that I need and then be able to create
other diagrams that are only portions of that master diagram.

When a change is made to the master, I want it to be automatically reflected
in all the other related diagrams. Is that possible?

"Ivan Salas" wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> Is there a way to export information regarding relationships from a visio
> diagram to an excel spreadsheet?
>
> In addition, is there a way to tell the excel spreadsheet to eliminate or
> change a relationship and for that action to be applied onto the visio
> diagram?
>
> thanks,
> ivan
0
IvanSalas (6)
6/23/2008 3:17:02 PM
apologies, now the answer get's a little muddied.
    export relationships=>you can use the database wizard to save and change
information
    automatically be reflected in related diagrams=>custom code (assumption
here is that you might delete/add objects)

> By relationship, I simply mean a link between one object and the other (a
> arrow or a line).
>
> What I really want to be able to do is to create a "master diagram" that
> contains all the relevant information that I need and then be able to
> create
> other diagrams that are only portions of that master diagram.
>
> When a change is made to the master, I want it to be automatically
> reflected
> in all the other related diagrams. Is that possible?
>
> "Ivan Salas" wrote:
>
>> Hello all,
>>
>> Is there a way to export information regarding relationships from a visio
>> diagram to an excel spreadsheet?
>>
>> In addition, is there a way to tell the excel spreadsheet to eliminate or
>> change a relationship and for that action to be applied onto the visio
>> diagram?
>>
>> thanks,
>> ivan

0
edlund1 (616)
6/23/2008 4:30:15 PM
When I'm using the wizard to import info from an Excel spreadsheet into
Visio, it brings in all of my information correctly; puts subordinates under
the proper executive, etc., however it will not import them in the order that
I type them into the spreadsheet. For example, I have one executive with six
subordinates and it puts the correct subordinates under the correct
executive, but mixes up the order...how do I stop that from happening?

"Ivan Salas" wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> Is there a way to export information regarding relationships from a visio
> diagram to an excel spreadsheet?
>
> In addition, is there a way to tell the excel spreadsheet to eliminate or
> change a relationship and for that action to be applied onto the visio
> diagram?
>
> thanks,
> ivan
0
ldupre (1)
6/23/2008 8:32:05 PM
by design the tool randomizes the dropping of the objects to improve
performance. you might consider linking the objects (managers/subordinates)
after the drawings has been created using v2007 datalinking.
al

"ldupre" <ldupre@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> When I'm using the wizard to import info from an Excel spreadsheet into
> Visio, it brings in all of my information correctly; puts subordinates
> under
> the proper executive, etc., however it will not import them in the order
> that
> I type them into the spreadsheet. For example, I have one executive with
> six
> subordinates and it puts the correct subordinates under the correct
> executive, but mixes up the order...how do I stop that from happening?
>
> "Ivan Salas" wrote:
>
>> Hello all,
>>
>> Is there a way to export information regarding relationships from a visio
>> diagram to an excel spreadsheet?
>>
>> In addition, is there a way to tell the excel spreadsheet to eliminate or
>> change a relationship and for that action to be applied onto the visio
>> diagram?
>>
>> thanks,
>> ivan

0
edlund1 (616)
6/24/2008 12:05:02 AM
How do you import information from excel to visio?

(by information, I do not mean only text. I mean shape, relationships,
color, font, etc.)

Thanks

"AlEdlund" wrote:

> by design the tool randomizes the dropping of the objects to improve
> performance. you might consider linking the objects (managers/subordinates)
> after the drawings has been created using v2007 datalinking.
> al
>
> "ldupre" <ldupre@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > When I'm using the wizard to import info from an Excel spreadsheet into
> > Visio, it brings in all of my information correctly; puts subordinates
> > under
> > the proper executive, etc., however it will not import them in the order
> > that
> > I type them into the spreadsheet. For example, I have one executive with
> > six
> > subordinates and it puts the correct subordinates under the correct
> > executive, but mixes up the order...how do I stop that from happening?
> >
> > "Ivan Salas" wrote:
> >
> >> Hello all,
> >>
> >> Is there a way to export information regarding relationships from a visio
> >> diagram to an excel spreadsheet?
> >>
> >> In addition, is there a way to tell the excel spreadsheet to eliminate or
> >> change a relationship and for that action to be applied onto the visio
> >> diagram?
> >>
> >> thanks,
> >> ivan

0
IvanSalas (6)

SQL in Excel data
Hi all, Is there a possibility/way to run an SQL query in an excel data sheet? I have quite some data like the sample below, now i would like to have the sum of spending for each person. Like it is possible in Access. A1 B1 Field1 Field2 Chuck 12,89 Mike 23,09 Jean 9,34 Chuck 30,00 Mike 3,80 Chuck 22,00 Mike 7,23 Jean 10,55 Jean 10,75 Jean 31,45 Chuck 19,99 Result Field1 SumOfField2 Chuck 84,88 Jean 62,09 Mike 34,12 Advice would be appriciated. Cheers, Ludovic Hi You could use a formula like this ...

Excel 2003 extract repeating cells

excel spreadsheet
How do I delete columns from my spread sheet? When I right click the word "delete" isn't highlighted, so it doesn't work. Is the sheet protected or shared? -- Regards, RD ===================================================== Please keep all correspondence within the Group, so all may benefit! ===================================================== "Ang" <Ang@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:418A7E09-1E8E-41E1-9988-82460B633629@microsoft.com... How do I delete columns from my spread sheet? When I right click the word "delete" is...

Can you separate information by House?
I have two homes and want to track expenses for each home separately as well as roll up reports by category (utility, phone, etc.) for both. Is that possible? MT In microsoft.public.money, MT wrote: >I have two homes and want to track expenses for each home separately as well >as roll up reports by category (utility, phone, etc.) for both. Is that >possible? One way to do that is to use a classification. As Cal notes, Classification is tailor-made for this. Look it up in online help and then come back with questions. "MT" <MT@discussions.microsoft.com> wrot...

Excel 2000 macro security Level
Hi! I am running an ASP.NET application which ideally opens an Exce spreadsheet with a macro included in it. When I try opening spreadsheet without a macro, everything works fine, but with macros, i hangs on the opening command. I tried to go to Excel 2000 and go t Tools->Macros->Security Level->Low but it still hangs when I try t open the macro spreadsheet. All works fine with the spreadsheet no containing macros, so it really is a question of macro security. But put it to low, so I don't understand how it is still not opening!! An help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks and...

Running an Excel Macro from an Access Command Button
Hi , Can anyone help me with this, I am trying to run an excel macro from an access command button. I want the macro to Bold the Headings on a excel spreadsheet. The code runs without any errors but the macro doesnt seem to work, I think I have got the line ExcelApp.ExecuteExcel4Macro "RUN(""PERSONAL.XLS!BoldHead"")" wrong The code: Private Sub cmdRunMac_Click() Dim ExcelApp As Excel.Application Dim ExcelBook As Excel.Workbook Set ExcelApp = Excel.Application ExcelApp.Visible = True Set ExcelBook = ExcelApp.Workbooks.Open("C:\Documents and Settings\...

Formatting Cells in Excel 97

Backup Excel file

Excel devides every number by 100
Even when I open a brand new file. I input a number (ie 5) and get 0.05 back. I have tried doing everything in cell format etc.. anyone have an idea? it is very annoying and adding loads of work to my project. thanks "=?Utf-8?B?a2luZ3M=?=" <kings@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in news:48A39EFC-2D09-420F-B2DF-6EF5C0DB6109@microsoft.com: > Even when I open a brand new file. I input a number (ie 5) > and get 0.05 back. I have tried doing everything in cell > format etc.. anyone have an idea? it is very annoying and > adding loads of work to my project. > ...

collating information from multiple sources
Hi Apologies if this has been asked before, but I'm a bit of a newbie when it comes to mucking around in excel, I've had a search but I don't really know what to call what I want to do, so finding the answer is tricky... Anyway. I have a dozen or so workbooks that are all of the same format, 1 work sheet with a basic list of test scenarios in each, with a unique reference for each row. What I'd like to do is pull information from all those workbooks into a separate workbook by the use of the unique reference. i.e If I type in the unique reference in the master workb...

Excel Histogram -- Incorrect Bins
I am using the Histogram tool in Excel 2004 for Mac -- I am finding that = Excel is shifting all my data one bin to the right. =20 For example, with data... 2,2,2,7,7,7 and bin range selected as 0,5,10 I am EXPECTING 3 items in bin 0 (between zero and five) and 3 items in = bin=20 5 (between five and ten). Excel is RETURNING a histogram with nothing in the zero bin, and 3 items = each in the 5 bin and the 10 bin. This is driving my bonkers! I can't find a solution...can somebody = please=20 help? Eric Anderson - > I am using the Histogram tool in Excel 2004 for Mac -- I am...

Combining Lists within excel.
I'm hoping someone can help here. I'll try to explain the problem I have. I have 2 worksheets both containing a product list. I have entries on one worksheet which I need on the other, so basically my question is... might there be a way of combining these two lists so one updates the other with the missing entries. Help on this would be great, as they are very large lists which I dont much fancy the thought of looking through them manually. Are you familiar with the VLOOKUP function? I use it all the time for this type of problem. vlookup(Product cell in first sheet, Array...

Import excel named range into Access error 3011
Hi, I've read a few posts on this topic, but none addresses my particular problem. I use Office 2003 on an XP SP3 machine. I am using transferspreadsheet to import a named range in an excel file into Access. This has worked beautifully until suddenly it stopped working. I find now that if I extract the address of the named range from within the Access VBA code, it looks like this: =#REF!$A$1:$Z$166 rather than this, which is what it should be: =Data!$A$1:$Z$166 When I open the spreadsheet and get the address of the named range in the immediate window, it also has the #REF error....

Excel AutoSave #2
In Excel 2000 was this feature available? User is not seeing it. Excel 2000 had the AUTOSAVE.XLA Add-in Should be in Tools>Add-ins. If not available there, do a file search on your computer. If not there, install from the CD. Gord Dibben Excel MVP On Thu, 6 May 2004 13:26:16 -0700, "Ssolano" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >In Excel 2000 was this feature available? >User is not seeing it. ...

auto hide toolbar in Excel won't work
I have the toolbar at the bottom of the screen set to 'autohide' but when I'm in Excel sometimes it does 'hide' until the cursor is moved over it, but mostly it won't autohide so that I cannot see the Sheet names at the bottom of the screen. I am running Windows XP Home and Microsoft Office Professional 2003. Can anyone help please? -- teecee8 Hi Every time you move your cursor too far into the bottom area, the toolbar will pop up. Normally it disappears when you move your cursor up again. If it does not, try clicking on you spreadsheet. If you right click o...

Exchange 2007 Mailbox Folder information not updating
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel Email Client: Exchange I am using Entourage 2008 Web Services Edition in an Exchange 2007 SP1 UR4 environment. I have only been using the Web Services Edition for about a week and prior to that I was using the regular Entourage 2008 client for four months. In any case, the problem I am about to describe occurs in both versions of Entourage 2008. <br><br>Recently my employer's executive group decided to implement Managed Folder Policies to assist in controlling mailbox size. I was the first to...

Excel comparative query
I'm respectfully requesting assistance with the correct formula to use for the following query: I'd searching all of column A on spreadsheet 1 to see if a value in column A of spreadsheet 2 is there, and placing a result X (or another) next to (adjacent cell) the confirmed value on spreadsheet 2. Please help if you can. Chris Hi Chris see your answer in puclic.excel -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany Chris wrote: > I'm respectfully requesting assistance with the correct formula > to use for the following query: > > I'd searching all of column A on ...

Opening Excel from Access
Hello, Wasn't sure where to drop this question. I'm using Access 2003. After I dump a bunch of data to an Excel file, and save it off, I'd like to give the user the prompt to open the Excel file the app just created for them. I did a little digging, and found out that the FileDialog object does not support the Open file dialog type in MS Access, or as MSDN puts it: msoFileDialogOpen Not supported in Microsoft Access. So, anyone know of a workaround or a different approach to be able to prompt the user to open an Excel file from within Access? Thanks, Scott On Thu, 2 A...

In excel how do I delete an option button form already in worksht
Hi Va Run, Try: Activesheet.Shapes("Option Button 1").Delete Change the name of the control to accord with your situation. --- Regards, Norman "Va run" <Va run@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:3F4F80A0-347F-4603-ABAB-25B635E96C84@microsoft.com... > ...

How do I make a summary page in Excel 2008?
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: Intel I have a sheet with all my data (several columns, one of which is &quot;name&quot; and others are things like &quot;address,&quot; &quot;notes,&quot; etc.). Then I have another sheet which is the summary. I want to be able to choose a name from a drop-down list (I figured out how to do that) for the &quot;Name&quot; and have the other fields ('address,&quot; &quot;notes,&quot; etc.) fill in automatically with the information that corresponds to that name. <br><...