Excel Spreadsheet to Visio Flow chart - updating

Has anyone heard of or familiar with taking an existing spreadsheet and using
it to create a flowchart in visio - I think it was created using the Org
Chart wizard.

The thing is, the creator of this chart is no longer with the company and
now it is time to update the flow chart.  The person responsible now is making
the changes in Excel, however they are not showing (not updating
automatically) in Visio .  There does not appear to be any "update links"
message in either application after save and re-open.  With some picking
through the software, I was not able to find any macros, buttons or menus
that appeared to perform this action.

Any one ever hear of such a thing - I have been using Office and Visio for
years, but I have never heard of such a thing -- but it appears to have been
done....

Help, please!

0
Jazz3788 (9)
12/20/2004 7:27:06 PM
visio 3638 articles. 1 followers. Follow

two possibilities, the flowchart was created in v2002 and you are in v2003
which no longer supports import, or the format (column positions) in the
excel sheet are incorrect.
Al

"Jazz" <Jazz@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Has anyone heard of or familiar with taking an existing spreadsheet and
> using
> it to create a flowchart in visio - I think it was created using the Org
> Chart wizard.
>
> The thing is, the creator of this chart is no longer with the company and
> now it is time to update the flow chart.  The person responsible now is
> making
> the changes in Excel, however they are not showing (not updating
> automatically) in Visio .  There does not appear to be any "update links"
> message in either application after save and re-open.  With some picking
> through the software, I was not able to find any macros, buttons or menus
> that appeared to perform this action.
>
> Any one ever hear of such a thing - I have been using Office and Visio for
> years, but I have never heard of such a thing -- but it appears to have
> been
> done....
>
> Help, please!

0
edlund1 (616)
12/20/2004 8:40:16 PM
Al:

I am contacting the client regarding his version of Visio, but, assuming it
is not a version issue, in reference to your column positions statement, do
you mean to suggest that the column positions have been relocated since the
initial creation of the org chart?

"Al Edlund" wrote:

> two possibilities, the flowchart was created in v2002 and you are in v2003
> which no longer supports import, or the format (column positions) in the
> excel sheet are incorrect.
> Al
>
> "Jazz" <Jazz@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Has anyone heard of or familiar with taking an existing spreadsheet and
> > using
> > it to create a flowchart in visio - I think it was created using the Org
> > Chart wizard.
> >
> > The thing is, the creator of this chart is no longer with the company and
> > now it is time to update the flow chart.  The person responsible now is
> > making
> > the changes in Excel, however they are not showing (not updating
> > automatically) in Visio .  There does not appear to be any "update links"
> > message in either application after save and re-open.  With some picking
> > through the software, I was not able to find any macros, buttons or menus
> > that appeared to perform this action.
> >
> > Any one ever hear of such a thing - I have been using Office and Visio for
> > years, but I have never heard of such a thing -- but it appears to have
> > been
> > done....
> >
> > Help, please!

0
Jazz3788 (9)
12/21/2004 5:27:03 PM
Al:

The client is using Visio 2K.  Additionally he is sending the actual source
files for my review - (I work MS Office support for a HD in Pgh) - and I have
not actually imported an Excel spreadsheet to a Visio org chart before.  Any
information you can offer would be much appreciated.  As the xl book stands
now, when we attempt an import, it is creating 100 pages of a Visio file, and
the names are not updating to where they should be.  This does not seem
correct as the original Visio org chart was not nearly that number.

"Jazz" wrote:

> Al:
>
> I am contacting the client regarding his version of Visio, but, assuming it
> is not a version issue, in reference to your column positions statement, do
> you mean to suggest that the column positions have been relocated since the
> initial creation of the org chart?
>
> "Al Edlund" wrote:
>
> > two possibilities, the flowchart was created in v2002 and you are in v2003
> > which no longer supports import, or the format (column positions) in the
> > excel sheet are incorrect.
> > Al
> >
> > "Jazz" <Jazz@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > Has anyone heard of or familiar with taking an existing spreadsheet and
> > > using
> > > it to create a flowchart in visio - I think it was created using the Org
> > > Chart wizard.
> > >
> > > The thing is, the creator of this chart is no longer with the company and
> > > now it is time to update the flow chart.  The person responsible now is
> > > making
> > > the changes in Excel, however they are not showing (not updating
> > > automatically) in Visio .  There does not appear to be any "update links"
> > > message in either application after save and re-open.  With some picking
> > > through the software, I was not able to find any macros, buttons or menus
> > > that appeared to perform this action.
> > >
> > > Any one ever hear of such a thing - I have been using Office and Visio for
> > > years, but I have never heard of such a thing -- but it appears to have
> > > been
> > > done....
> > >
> > > Help, please!

0
Jazz3788 (9)
12/21/2004 5:35:04 PM
two issues a.) as I remember in the 2k version there is a wizard to handle
the mechanics of importing, b.) by design the drawings created are dynamic
(optimized for speed not looks) and can/do change from iteration to
iteration.
> Al:
>
> The client is using Visio 2K.  Additionally he is sending the actual
> source
> files for my review - (I work MS Office support for a HD in Pgh) - and I
> have
> not actually imported an Excel spreadsheet to a Visio org chart before.
> Any
> information you can offer would be much appreciated.  As the xl book
> stands
> now, when we attempt an import, it is creating 100 pages of a Visio file,
> and
> the names are not updating to where they should be.  This does not seem
> correct as the original Visio org chart was not nearly that number.
>
> "Jazz" wrote:
>
>> Al:
>>
>> I am contacting the client regarding his version of Visio, but, assuming
>> it
>> is not a version issue, in reference to your column positions statement,
>> do
>> you mean to suggest that the column positions have been relocated since
>> the
>> initial creation of the org chart?
>>
>> "Al Edlund" wrote:
>>
>> > two possibilities, the flowchart was created in v2002 and you are in
>> > v2003
>> > which no longer supports import, or the format (column positions) in
>> > the
>> > excel sheet are incorrect.
>> > Al
>> >
>> > "Jazz" <Jazz@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

0
edlund1 (616)

How to select series in chart?

Linking a Chart with graphics to ppt

number rounding in MS Excel

chart MAcro to change on activecell

Multiple stacked bar charts

transparent areas in charts?

printing 2 charts on single page

update column

Meeting updates #2

SpreadSheetML (XML for Excel)

Public Folder link to Excel File

Filters in Excel 2003

Excel Opens Without Displaying Workbook

Money Plus not Updating Quotes

can i link a cell to a calendar so it will auto update
i am trying to get a cell to change font color when it passes a certain date Format > Conditional Formatting, Cell value is greater than [date] Select Format and change text color to desired color "paulyoung666" wrote: > i am trying to get a cell to change font color when it passes a certain date ...

printing imported gif files in Excel

ExCel programming

Portfolio Update (Money 2004 Small Business)
When viewing my portfolio and choosing "Update Prices...Update Prices Online", my prices don't update. I have an Internet connection and Money IS able to get to the Internet for its other online features. When I check the updates summary, it says that "Money was unable to contact the online quotes server. Please check your Internet connection and try again.." My Internet connection is fine and I AM able to use Money's other online features (sign in with Passport, use the Money Browser, get to MSN.com via the toolbar link, research online) without problems. ...

Online Price Updates
Somehow online price updating was turned on in my file. I have turned it off. However, when I go to delete the erroneous past-dated Online Prices for a particular stock, it appears they are initialling deleting, but when I return to the stock later, all the deleted online prices (from the past) are re-instated. It is as though none of the price deletions I performed have taken effect. How do I clean up these erroneous past online price updates? ...

Symbol Updating Only Every Few Days (if at all)
Using Money 2006, and have a symbol "VLO" that is only updating every few days. This stock was a duplicate (downloaded transaction created a new version of the same stock - my fault not clicking correct choice when asked). I've removed the symbol from the stock entry that was downloaded, renamed this entry to something bogus, deleting this renamed stock "from all accounts", then added the symbol back to the original VLO stock that I've been tracking for years. Now the stock just says "unch" in the portfolio view, and the price history is only updat...

Sql query to Update Supplier Cost
What query would I use to update Supplier cost from Item Cost in the Item table? Thanks for any help! Mark Hatfield Be careful before you do this. The system is set so you can have multiple suppliers for each item. Supplier A Cost might be 10.99 but Supplier B charges 14.00. You normally buy from Supplier A, but they sometimes run out, so you need to order from Supplier B. If you update Supplier Cost from Item Cost, both suppliers would display the same cost. Your scenario is only safe if you are sure you only have 1 supplier per item. "MARK" wrote: ...