Evaluating during Trial period - question on Org Chart automation

Our group is assessing various Org Charting software.  Can someone tell me if
the following is possible in Visio and if so provide a quick outline of what
would have to be done?

We have multiple users that need to create Org Charts using the same format,
including a legend. The data will be retrieved via an ODBC connection (we
have this part functioning with the trial version). Is there a way, when the
data is being loaded, to use a customized Org Chart wizard or template?  I
see how to apply a custom template when manually creating a new chart, but is
there a way to apply it when automatically bringing in data? We have seen
another product where we bring the data in, then apply a template and it then
brings in the legend, formats the data in each box and applies formulas to
display certain data using images or coloring to the box.  Is this possible
using Visio? Having to program something is fine also, as long as we can get
some direction that it could be done and what would need to be programmed.
Thanks in advance for any information!
--
Liz
0

------=_NextPart_0001_D7436578

You can create a new template based on the existing Organization Chart
template to customize the look / feel of your drawings (Themes, etc.).
Simply open the existing template directly and save to a new location/name.
 Then you can include your own shapes and page setups, logos, etc.

The legend and other 'built-in' pieces can be driven by data that you link
using VBA code or manual methods, or can be derived from the imported
organization data.  You can use Data Graphics (in Visio 2007) to
expose/display your desired data.  If you use Visio 2003, the older "Color
By Value" wizard will allow simple color functionality, not as powerful as
Data Graphics, but functional.

I would suggest not editing the built-in template or stencils, as the
Installer will automatically return to the 'out of the box' version upon
any repair of the installed application.  Also, if you decide to create
custom versions of the shapes that are included, remember to remove the
Copyright information in your customized copies.

Barb Way
Product Support - Visio
Microsoft Corporation
[This posting is provided "As Is" with no warranties, and confers no
rights.]
--------------------
From:  <LizS@discussions.microsoft.com>
Subject: Evaluating during Trial period - question on Org Chart automation
Date: Wed, 7 May 2008 07:00:00 -0700

[...]

\viewkind4\uc1\pard\f0\fs26 You can create a new template based on the existing Organization Chart template to customize the look / feel of your drawings (Themes, etc.).  Simply open the existing template directly and save to a new location/name.  Then you can include your own shapes and page setups, logos, etc.
\par
\par The legend and other 'built-in' pieces can be driven by data that you link using VBA code or manual methods, or can be derived from the imported organization data.  You can use Data Graphics (in Visio 2007) to expose/display your desired data.  If you use Visio 2003, the older "Color By Value" wizard will allow simple color functionality, not as powerful as Data Graphics, but functional.
\par
\par I would suggest not editing the built-in template or stencils, as the Installer will automatically return to the 'out of the box' version upon any repair of the installed application.  Also, if you decide to create custom versions of the shapes that are included, remember to remove the Copyright information in your customized copies.
\par
\par
\par Barb Way
\par Product Support - Visio
\par Microsoft Corporation
\par [This posting is provided "As Is" with no warranties, and confers no rights.]
\par \pard\li720 --------------------
\par From:  <LizS@discussions.microsoft.com>
\par Subject: Evaluating during Trial period - question on Org Chart automation
\par Date: Wed, 7 May 2008 07:00:00 -0700
\par
\par
\par Our group is assessing various Org Charting software.  Can someone tell me if
\par the following is possible in Visio and if so provide a quick outline of what
\par would have to be done?
\par
\par We have multiple users that need to create Org Charts using the same format,
\par including a legend. The data will be retrieved via an ODBC connection (we
\par have this part functioning with the trial version). Is there a way, when the
\par data is being loaded, to use a customized Org Chart wizard or template?  I
\par see how to apply a custom template when manually creating a new chart, but is
\par there a way to apply it when automatically bringing in data? We have seen
\par another product where we bring the data in, then apply a template and it then
\par brings in the legend, formats the data in each box and applies formulas to
\par display certain data using images or coloring to the box.  Is this possible
\par using Visio? Having to program something is fine also, as long as we can get
\par some direction that it could be done and what would need to be programmed.
\par Thanks in advance for any information!
\par --
\par Liz
\par \pard
\par
\par }
------=_NextPart_0001_D7436578--

0
barbway (115)

stacked bar chart and a bit more...Excel 2003
Hi folks i need one graph to show 2 things: the x axis will show months (april to march). the y axis will show a % error rate (ie. from 0 - 10%). so, for example, if i wanted to show 8% error rate for march I'd have a column approx.80% of the height of the graph. Howewver (and this is where i need the help), I want a stacked bar chart so the column displays the numeric values of those errors (e.g. suppose the march errors were: 3x type a, 4x type b and 1x type c error). In a nutshell the chart is supposed to show both the failure rate and breakdown of errors over time.... I don&...

Question regarding recurring appointments
I have a question regarding the recurring appointments feature in Outlook calendar. I hope I can make it clear. For example, one sets a recurring appointment, that one has a meeting with a particular person every Wednesday at 9 AM. OK, easy to set that. Then, one wants to add information to particular days, regarding what information you want to cover in that specific meeting that day. I've figured that out also. If you double-click on that meeting for that particular day, you get a dialog box asking if you want to open the whole recurring appointment or just that day. You choose the latt...

How do you split the Y-axis on an Excel chart?
I've seen this done where the Y-axis is "split" to accommodate a big leap to a high number (outlier). Take a look at Jon Peltier's Broken Y axis documentation and see if it helps. http://www.peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/BrokenYAxis.html "RickiRebel" <RickiRebel@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:5E33B899-820C-4042-B186-031A18452AE4@microsoft.com... > I've seen this done where the Y-axis is "split" to accommodate a big leap to > a high number (outlier). ...

changing fiscal periods
Hello: A client has fiscal years set up in GP 9.0 as 04/01 to 03/31. Therefore, GP shows these fiscal periods at this moment in time as being in fiscal year 2008. (The posting of this article is as of 07/01/07...) Anyway, the client wants to move to a calendar instead of a fiscal year. This change is in effect as of 06/07/07. So, he wants the calendar year of 2007 to be set up as 06/07/07 through 12/31/2007. 2008 is to be set up as 01/01/08 through 12/31/2008. The client says that he is not concerned about having historical transactions updated. And, the client has not closed t...

HierarchyID question
Hi, ** Please find SQL scripts down below ** I'm "trying" to use the new HierarchyID datatype in a new products database. I want to get a list of all the products in a category AND its child categories. I'm trying to write a stored procedure that receives a CategoryID and returns a list of products in that category as well as products in all the other categories that are under that category. For example, if I pass the ID of the Electronics category, I want the stored procedure to return products that are in: Electronics Electronics -> Digital Media...

SendMail Question
Hi, I am using the following code to attached a spreadsheet to an outlook message. Application.Dialogs(xlDialogSendMail).Show _ arg1:=Sheets("Sheet1").Range("A1"), _ arg2:=Sheets("Sheet1").Range("A2") I am able to specify a e-mail address with arg1 and subject with arg2 but does anybody know if it is possible to specify some content for the body of the e-mail message? Thanks -- Andy Tallent Andy, I find it much more convenient to make a reference to the Outlook Library and send mail messages that way. There are methods to include messages in ...

"Automation error Catastrofic failure"
I got this message as soon as I open an excel file that has some macro's to do calculations and change some of the user interface. I think it is connected to Office service pack 3 that I loaded, because the error occured a day or two after that when I had to open the specific file in question. The file was created in excel 97 and subsequently saved in excel XP when we upgraded. I have other files that were created in XP first time and they do not give this error. It requires me to shut down Excel using the task list in task manager. I am very desperate (last thing to try is dele...

Bubble Chart best fit Scatter plot
I need to create a scatter plot that will have an oval shape bubble that only circles the top 75th percentile date ponts. I currently have a scatter plot with data points and then I use an excel object (oval) and size it manually over the chart to fit the top 75th percentile data points. Is there a functions or VBA code I can use to create this best fit oval automaticaly or some type of trick I can use in excel? Thank you Hi Tedasu, Have a look at Fernando Cinquegrani's site http://www.prodomosua.eu/ppage02.html Ed Ferrero www.edferrero.com I don't see what I'm looking ...

Control Charts #4
I have not created a control chart before, so please excuse my ignorance. A few questions: 1. If a quality control chart is a part of a report (in MS Word), should it be imported or copied into a MS word document (there is text also in this report) or can you type the text in excel so that you don't have to import or copy the control chart in MS Word 2. How is it best to start a control chart? 3. How do you add text inside the chart? How do you change the line appearance 4. Are line formats best to use for a control chart? Again, excuse my ignorance, I appreciate any info...

Chart title = Worksheet Name?
I have a workbook where every sheet represents a different day. The title of the sheet is the date e.g. 9-14-06. On each sheet is a chart whose title is same date as on the tab, but formatted slightly differently: Thursday <cr> September 14, 2006. Is there a way to easily link the two so when I update the tab date, the chart date changes also? Thanks, Bill Halper I do hope someone can find a shorter way but here is mine. Firstly, the name on the tab will not be recognized as text by Excel, so wee need to get the sheet name into a cell and then extract year, month day A1 (sheet na...

blood pressure chart for excel?
Is there an excel app for graphing one's blood pressure over a hours in a day or across months, years? -- Wayne Watson (Watson Adventures, Prop., Nevada City, CA) (121.015 Deg. W, 39.262 Deg. N) GMT-8 hr std. time) Obz Site: 39� 15' 7" N, 121� 2' 32" W, 2700 feet Solid waste produced to generate electricity per person over a lifetime: Nuclear power -- 2 pounds in a coke can Fossil (coal) fuel -- 68.5 tons in six 12-ton RR cars -- Power to...

Textbox question?
I am using a userform to have data transfered to a sheet. I currently use the code below to send it to a worksheet but what I would like to have happen is for it to add the total of the textbox to the total already in the cell. How do I do that? Thanks Greg Here is the code R = 3 'or whatever desired row variable Sheets(2).Cells(R, 5).Value = TextBox4.Text "Greg B" <laptopgb@ihug.com.au> wrote in message news:d7n44v$j7i$1@lust.ihug.co.nz... > I am using a userform to have data transfered to a sheet. I currently use > the code below to send it to a worksheet b...

2002 Publisher questions
If I load MS Publisher 2002 on my XP system, will another computer with win98 be able to read the files and vice versa? Does Publisher let you create custome document sizes? i.e. 8.5" x 14" Thanks, Randy randy.hogue@osmetech.com See our previous response to your original posting. Brian Kvalheim Microsoft Publisher MVP http://www.kvalheim.org >-----Original Message----- >If I load MS Publisher 2002 on my XP system, will another >computer with win98 be able to read the files and vice >versa? >Does Publisher let you create custome document sizes? >i.e. 8.5...

Probs silly question...
Hi all, I have done a simple spread sheet that works out the hours I have worked in hh:mm format. How do get a total sum calculation? E.g. start 09:00 finish 16:35 =SUM(C3)-B3 daily hours 07:35 say I worked 5 days at 07:35 - I want the timesheet to caluclate the hours and minutes worked. Many thanks Chris -----= Posted via Newsfeeds.Com, Uncensored Usenet News =----- http://www.newsfeeds.com - The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! -----== Over 100,000 Newsgroups - 19 Different Servers! =----- Chris; Do the calculations for each day. Sum these results. You would expect a total of ...

LOOKUP question #2
I am trying to perform a lookup. I have a table with lookup info to th left column. I have lookup information in column A. I am trying t match the info from column one of my table to Column A or the sheet an when found insert column 3 of my table. My sheet has old and new price however there are new parts so the rows do not match up part for part. I need the matching part numbers Column A and column 1 of my table t be matched and when done to insert the value in column 3 of the par which is price into the appropriate cell. Can this be done. What am doing wrong. I am currently using t...

2 textbox questions
hi... I have a form where I have a txt box where i want to accept from user only percentages. How can I make a check in this case? I wanted user to know that he will enter percentages in it. So what i thought was that when user enters the number in the textbox and when he moves away from the textbox a "%" sign should appear. how can i do that? secondly i wanted to make my textbox deactivated and grayed. That is when he is selecting an option A then the textbox in activated and and when he sects option B the textbox is visible but grayed. i don't to hide it. thanks Monika H...

Automate Birthday Reoccurences
I have 663 contacts that my boss wants me to manually add their birthdays to his calendar. Is there an automated way of taking the birthday field in Outlook 2007 contacts, and adding them to the calendar in a recurring event, so I don't have to manually add these every month? I don't mind deleting the ones that leave the company, but surely, there is a faster way than what I am doing. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Susan if the field in completed in the contact, outlook should create the birthday automatically. However - this only works for contacts you cre...

newbe question
Hello everybody, I have an VB.net app with a ms sql server database. If I want to deliever the application I should send the database information as well. My question: what is better strategy - to send CreateDatabase query or backup of the database to my customer. What is easier for the customer to get fast the database structure - to create it from the sqlquery or to recreate it from the database.bak? I would like to avoid all problems and to make the job for unexperienced administrators easy. If the customer installed sql server - what tools does he need to be able to use sql...

I am still waiting for a good response to the question I posted?
Howdy there all you folks, wuz happening, I dont know. I have a suggestion to > make here to yal, I purchased a gateway desktop PC from my local library > yesterday for only 10 dollars right, they said it do not have a operating > system on it, well it have 128 MB RAM on it though, last night I tried > installing windows xp home edition service pack 2 right, well its telling me > that I need to install a full version of an previous version of windows like > 98, 2000 professional, or Millenium Edition and then I can upgade from that > and be on my way to surfing onli...

OWA question #2
We currently use OWA 2000 at my office for some remote users as well as some internal users. I'm having trouble getting access to some of the users (can't get the domain\username right). I've changed my settings to Basic authentication which I'm running on our SSL site. I also changed the Basic Authenticaion Domain to ours. But my real concern is the security of it all. Is that secure enough? Thanks for any help you are able to provide Will "Auddog" <will_k@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:%23faF$0c6DHA.2472@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl... > We currently ...

Excel Charts 02-24-10
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: Intel Hello -- <br><br>Recently I've been unable to get my charts to display after clicking on Gallery and Charts. The gallery is supposed to drop down and it no longer does. The button will highlight in green - but will not work. What is going on? ...

Formula Evaluate Teaser
I need to evaluate the result of a modelled cell through VBA. Can someone give me an idea on how to do this? E.g Cell A1 Formula: ="A"&LEFT(H14,1) Cell H14 Text: World Cell A1 result: AW Through VBA I need to get the result for LEFT(H14,1). This would go something like below: Sub Evaluate() Dim strForm As String strForm = ActiveCell.FormulaLocal strForm = Right(strForm, Len(strForm) - InStr(1, strForm, "&")) Debug.Print strForm End Sub How can I evaluate the strForm part of the formula to return the result "W"? Any help would be appre...

LINQ To SQL Question
While attempting to become familiar with WPF, I accessed the Visual Studio Help file and loooked at information about LINQ to SQL. There, I found a topic that contained this program example: // Northwnd inherits from System.Data.Linq.DataContext. Northwnd nw = new Northwnd(@"northwnd.mdf"); var companyNameQuery = from cust in nw.Customers where cust.City == "London" select cust.CompanyName; foreach (var customer in companyNameQuery) { Console.WriteLine(customer); } This lead me to believe that I could add: using System.Data.Linq.Da...

Exchange license Question
Hi all, I ordered an Exchange Svr 2003 English OLP NL from the website, when i try to grab the "Volume License Product Key" for installation, but its status is "Not Required". So what key do i use to perform the installation? or key is not required? however, i remember when i do my exchange 2000 server installation, key was required, it was written on the box. Cheers ...

Question marks appearing where folder names should be
I have a user who has his inbox and subfolders showing question marks instead of letters. He went to china and access OWA. Since he's come back, the settings have remained in chinese. How do I restore him back to english and get rid of the question marks? Thanks ------------------------------------------------ ~~ Message posted from http://www.OutlookForum.com/ ~~ View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.OutlookForum.com/ ...