Drawing Portability

I've been given access to a copy of Visio to review (2007 Standard version).
Out IT administrator tells me that the hand-me-down machines we have in the
field won't support any Visio 2007 product, so I work on a conference room
machine after hours.
I need to prove to my boss that another license is worth buying. I've
produced a number of drawings that have proved useful. Our employees recently
saved a lot of money by reducing the amount of time we needed to have a crane
on-site; my contribution was a Gantt chart that was used to help coordinate
the efforts of multiple work groups.  I believe I can justify the cost of
another Standard version.
But having the Standard Version, I could only read about the Data Graphics
abilities in Visio Professional. It looks like many things I'd like to do are
in "Professional" (such as the Pivot Diagram).
Ideally I'd like to create diagrams with some capacity for user interaction.
 My question: is it possible to create interactive drawings that would be
portable to machines that do not have Visio? If I had the only license for
Visio Professional and created a Pivot Diagram would I be able to share the
diagram and dynamics with machines that do not have Visio?
Peace.
EQC
0
EQ (3)
3/20/2008 11:15:01 PM
visio 3638 articles. 1 followers. Follow

This should help with the 'edition' comparisons.
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/visio/FX101757911033.aspx#b

The key here is that the things you would like to currently try, and cannot,
are also the ones that you could transfer to the rest of the team but they
would only be able to manipulate minimally. Visio Viewer is an option for
allowing users to examine drawings, but not manipulate, and it's free.
Interactive comes at a price.

al

"E.Q." <EQ@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I've been given access to a copy of Visio to review (2007 Standard
> version).
> Out IT administrator tells me that the hand-me-down machines we have in
> the
> field won't support any Visio 2007 product, so I work on a conference room
> machine after hours.
> I need to prove to my boss that another license is worth buying. I've
> produced a number of drawings that have proved useful. Our employees
> recently
> saved a lot of money by reducing the amount of time we needed to have a
> crane
> on-site; my contribution was a Gantt chart that was used to help
> coordinate
> the efforts of multiple work groups.  I believe I can justify the cost of
> another Standard version.
> But having the Standard Version, I could only read about the Data Graphics
> abilities in Visio Professional. It looks like many things I'd like to do
> are
> in "Professional" (such as the Pivot Diagram).
> Ideally I'd like to create diagrams with some capacity for user
> interaction.
> My question: is it possible to create interactive drawings that would be
> portable to machines that do not have Visio? If I had the only license for
> Visio Professional and created a Pivot Diagram would I be able to share
> the
> diagram and dynamics with machines that do not have Visio?
> Peace.
> EQC

0
edlund1 (616)
3/20/2008 11:59:59 PM
If you are the one manipulating the drawings, an other approach would be to
convince your boss you need a laptop to avoid the hassle of the various
equipment you will run in to. Even if the equipment is old, they may still
be doing the job they were purchased for and really do not need to be
upgraded. one laptop is still cheaper than upgrading all the hardware.

(I'm still running a PentiumII machine with Windows 95 that supports a full
bed scanner)

John...    Visio MVP

Need stencils or ideas? http://visio.mvps.org/3rdparty.htm
Need VBA examples?   http://visio.mvps.org/VBA.htm
Visio Wishlist       http://visio.mvps.org/wish_list.htm
"E.Q." <EQ@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I've been given access to a copy of Visio to review (2007 Standard
> version).
> Out IT administrator tells me that the hand-me-down machines we have in
> the
> field won't support any Visio 2007 product, so I work on a conference room
> machine after hours.
> I need to prove to my boss that another license is worth buying. I've
> produced a number of drawings that have proved useful. Our employees
> recently
> saved a lot of money by reducing the amount of time we needed to have a
> crane
> on-site; my contribution was a Gantt chart that was used to help
> coordinate
> the efforts of multiple work groups.  I believe I can justify the cost of
> another Standard version.
> But having the Standard Version, I could only read about the Data Graphics
> abilities in Visio Professional. It looks like many things I'd like to do
> are
> in "Professional" (such as the Pivot Diagram).
> Ideally I'd like to create diagrams with some capacity for user
> interaction.
> My question: is it possible to create interactive drawings that would be
> portable to machines that do not have Visio? If I had the only license for
> Visio Professional and created a Pivot Diagram would I be able to share
> the
> diagram and dynamics with machines that do not have Visio?
> Peace.
> EQC

0
lancucki (505)

Drawings for Visio
Hi, Im writing a project that hava a subject to convert "programming code" (like Basic, or Java...) into diagram. I want that diagram to be readable for Visio. Visio will be my middle point used for small changes before saving drawings as a HTML. My question is, what is the best (the easiest) way to write a file, that Visio can read? I have try to do it via Macros (my parser was giving on the output a code, that I copy-pasted to Macro), but it is not very nice. Im looking for alternatives...... Any one any idea? Thanks in advance Hi ZG, I wrote a simple tutorial for creating a...

can excel draw a chart in a coordinate plane
i have an excel worksheet that calculates the values of an equation like y=x^2+2x+3. the worksheet produces the x an y values. is there a way to get a chart that produces a parabola? In A1 type X, in B1 type Y In A2:A21 (or more) enter x-values such as 1,2,3,4... IN B2 enter =A2^2+3*A2+3. Copy down to the last A column value Select A1:B21 (or more); click the Chart Wizard; select XY chart (NOT Line) Complete the chart. Now you have the bare bones, visit a library and take out an Excel book. best wishes -- Bernard V Liengme www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme remove caps from email "larry S&...

HELP! how do i draw a normal curve in excel?
I am working on this problem. Since I am a horrible artist, I need to be able to draw a generic normal curve in Excel. To clarify the problem, here is an example: The birth weight of full-term babies is known to be normally distributed with mean = 3400 grams and standard deviation = 505 grams based upon data obtained from the National Vital Statistics Report, Vol.48, No.3. (a)Draw a normal curve with parameters labeled. (b)Shade the region that represents the proportion of full-term babies who weighed more than 4410 grams. Again, this is just an example of what I want to do. To summarize, I ...

Draw a directory tree
Hi, Is it possible to draw a directory tree in Visio 2002 and have the structure pulled from a real tree? Dave. Assumption: your talking about Active Directory or NDS. There was a separate add-on available for v2002 (Visio Enterprise Network Tools) that supported that function. If you have the add-on, then yes. Al "David Gray" <police@spamcop.net> wrote in message news:7pbjd0p5l947m6kjp27r3c97agv02o70gg@4ax.com... > Hi, > > Is it possible to draw a directory tree in Visio 2002 and have the > structure pulled from a real tree? > > Dave. Hi, If yo...

View draw/resize problem
Hi, I have a CView derived class in MDI app and I draw a grid to document view like this: void CMyView::OnDraw( CDC* dc ) { CMemDC pDC(dc); drawGrid(pDC); } CMemDC is Keith Rule's implementation of flicker-free drawing (to memory dc and then copying it to screen). drawGrid(pDC) uses MoveTo() and LineTo() to draw a set of horizontal and vertical lines to the view. The grid is kind like a background of my MDI window. Problem: resizing the doc/view will eat up CPU ie. grabbing from lower-right corner and resizing quickly back and forth will use all (or most of) available CPU power. I gu...

How to save dc drawing for display again
Hi Group Below is my dc drawing function. How to save this drawing so that i can display it again later instead of drawing it all over again ? HDC hDC; CDC *pdc = NULL; hDC=GetDC(pParentView->m_hWnd); if(hDC) pdc = CDC::FromHandle(hDC); if(!pdc) return; CPen pPen(PS_SOLID, 1, color); pdc->SelectObject(&pPen); CDC::FromHandle(hDC)->MoveTo(x-size/2,y); CDC::FromHandle(hDC)->LineTo(x+size/2,y); CDC::FromHandle(hDC)->MoveTo(x,y-size/2); CDC::FromHandle(hDC)->LineTo(x,y+size/2); ReleaseDC( pParentView->m_hWnd, // handle to window hDC // handle to...

mail merge from excel to coral draw
dear as we mail merge in word from excel, can we mail merge in coral draw from excel, My data is in excel. pls help, its urgent I would start by looking in the help section of Corel Draw. Look for terms like import or merge Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP On Tue, 22 Dec 2009 21:49:01 -0800, hitesh <hitesh@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >dear > >as we mail merge in word from excel, >can we mail merge in coral draw from excel, >My data is in excel. > >pls help, its urgent pls not understand. "Gord Dibben" wrote: ...

How to draw cumulative frequency curve in Excel
I am doing a statistics course work and would like to know how to set up a cumulative frequency curve in Excel. I have tried to insert functions and using the chart options but I cannot do it in the end. Please tell me how to do draw a cumulative frequency curve in Excel. Thank you. Alvin - This page shows a cumulative probability chart: http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/ProbabilityChart.html - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Peltier Technical Services Tutorials and Custom Solutions http://PeltierTech.com/ _______ Alvin wrote: > I am doing a statistics course wor...

Dynamic drawing shape
Does anybody if there is a way to have a square the changes sizes based on given imput cells? I want it to work the same way a dynamic graph does but I didn't seen anything in the graphing section that would work. thanks I put a Rectangle from the Drawing toolbar on a worksheet. I called that rectangle "rectangle 1". Then I used A1 and B1 to control its size (it won't always be a square, but you said cells (plural)). Then I used an event macro that resized the rectangle based on the values in A1:B1. Right click on the worksheet tab and select view code. Paste this in...

Dialog opening problem and drawing
Hi im having an application with its main window and on toolbar press and click into image disaplyed by application i want to open a simple modal dialog. Well dialog gets open only after i either minimize the main window or bring it back behind some other. also in that dialog im trying to draw in CStatic control wich i succesifulli do i guess however i want get anything dipalyed until that window is not moved of the screen and returned or got behind some other. what could be a problem for this refresh ? aris You could try calling UpdateWindow on your dialog (although this should happe...

Drawing on another processes window
I am working on a COM Server (EXE) that is to provide a live image to it's client. The client provides a HWND to the COM Server in which to draw. Considering the live view needs to keep up with window changes in size and position, my first thought is to simply subclass the HWND that the COM server receieved. I was reminded that that subclassing code must be in the same process as the owner of the HWND. My thought, now, is to have the COM Server inject the subclass code into the target process and have the two sides simply send the image via shared memory. The questions are: 1: Is the...

Owner Draw STATIC Window with XP Themes
I have existing code that draws a sample font on a STATIC window in a dialog box. This code has worked flawlessly for years. However, when I make my application themed on XP, my OnEraseBkgnd handler is still filling the background with the old COLOR_3DFACE color. I tried removing my OnEraseBkgnd handler and, in fact, it draws just fine. Unfortunately, when I invalidate the window to draw a new font, it does not erase the old font. I've played with the IsThemeActive and a few others but found them completely unreliable. Since ::GetSysColor(COLOR_3DFACE) returns a wrong value when my app...

How Draw a chart showing the following function: y=sin(x)
Can someone explain me how can i make this chart i excel? Remember i don't want use function to count! I want draw! Thanks for hel -- Pusie ----------------------------------------------------------------------- PusieK's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1621 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=27630 For a variety of approaches adapt the ideas at Normal curve http://www.tushar-mehta.com/excel/charts/normal_distribution/index.htm particularly the three sections: Enumerating a set of points in a worksheet Using...

Drawing bitmap images.
OK, So, I have a DIB byte buffer that contains 24 bits per pixel of information. I have a CDC, and need to get this information onto the CDC. What's the best way to go about doing this? When I use StretchDIBits, it gets the logical units fine, except there are weird color artifacts on the image. When I use DrawDibDraw, it gets the colors fine, but the logical units are screwed up. Any help on how I'm suppose to throw a buffer like this on to the DC for good visual quality? Thanks in advance, Josh Upon further investigation, this appears more puzzling. DrawDibDraw misbehaves IF ...

how to draw a trendline using two set of data?
Dear All, How to draw a trendline using two set of data (same x-value but different in y-value) thanks Cheers Do you want two trendlines, one for each data set? The Add Trendline dialog (Chart menu > Add Trendline) has a listbox to allow selection of a series. Do you want to combine the data into one series? You need to define a series that contains all of the points. If your two separate series have these series formulas: =SERIES(Sheet1!$C$4,Sheet1!$B$5:$B$12,Sheet1!$C$5:$C$12,1) =SERIES(Sheet1!$D$4,Sheet1!$B$5:$B$12,Sheet1!$D$5:$D$12,2) you need to add a series with this formula:...

drawing anywhere onscreen by using transparent window?
Hi, I am looking for an example of how to create a transparent window that I can position anywhere on the screen and draw to it using the GDI. So basically it would look like I am drawing on the screen over top of everything, but really I am just drawing to my transparent window. Anyone know how to do this and/or know where there is an example of how to do this? Thanks, gman you can make window with WS_POPUP style or use as a parent HWND_DESKTOP. Then override its OnEraseBkgnd and return TRUE - this should stop CWnd from filling background with white color. All drawing do in OnPai...

how to draw Gaussian distribution graph
After drawing a histogram through data analysis, I want to draw a Gaussian distribution graph (standard or reverse bell-shape graph) relevant to my frequency data. Is there any built-in function to carry out this drawing? NORMDIST will give you a Gaussian distribution, which you can then add to your chart. -- David Biddulph "Khoshravan" <khoshravan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:54693913-5988-4FB1-8F4A-E88271761BF2@microsoft.com... > After drawing a histogram through data analysis, I want to draw a Gaussian > distribution graph (standard or rever...

how do I stitch together drawings in visio?
I have a network topology that someone created that is spread over several pages. I'd like to be able to print out an overview of the whole topology. Is there a way to stitch or connect the pages together? You can use offsheet shape or hyperlink but it will not work when printing. "Chris" <Chris@discussions.microsoft.com> a �crit dans le message de news: 1700F117-FEB4-437A-AA63-C29825219227@microsoft.com... >I have a network topology that someone created that is spread over several > pages. I'd like to be able to print out an overview of the whole > top...

Drawing Horizontal Lines
Blood pressure chart. Vertical bars for each occurence signify the two readings. Want line going horizontally across chart at 80 and 120. Need instructions please. Hurry. BP = 145/90 and rising. :-) Try http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/ComboCharts.html#AddLine -- David Biddulph "jaygreg" <jaygreg90@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:OhfK5q0AHHA.144@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl... > Blood pressure chart. Vertical bars for each occurence signify the two > readings. Want line going horizontally across chart at 80 and 120. Need > instructions please. Hurry. BP = 145/...

Drawing MFC Dialog in ActiveX Container
Hi, I converted a dialog based application to an activex control, no problem to call the main dialog and route all messages to the dialog. But I dont know how to draw the dialog in a ole container instead of pop up the main dialog. Is there a way of solving this problem? Thanks a lot Mario ...

Can draw horizontal AND vertical lines in a combined chart ?
I have a chart with 2 Y axes. One plots 3 lines and the other two. I managed to place several horizontal lines using the method Jon Peltier describes in his great site. Now I need to do something pretty classic: have vertical lines in each year end of the time series in the X axis. It simply seems to be impossible. I suspect it has something to do with the technique used to draw the horizontal lines. Any way to make this happen ? Thanks and regards, Jorge Fonyat PS: I tried to add the vertical lines using the instructions in Jon Peltier's site too. PS2: I think I deleted the secondary X ax...

How to do owner's draw?
I'm using Money 2004 Small Business. I have a business checking account and a personal. I send a check from the business account to my personal. Money only allows income and expenses. However, this is an "Owner's Capital: Draws", which is equity. How can I do this transaction in Money without showing an expense or income? I don't want to do an account transfer since this will put the withdrawal and deposit occurring on the same day. They are actually one week apart. Thanks, Brett ...

Drawing a line of best fit on a Histogram
Hi al Does anyone know if its possible to draw a line of best fit on a histogram. I have worked all the line of best fit points but i cannot seem to get it to draw itself into the histogram Thanks for all your help! Jazz ...

Drawing Lines
Is there an easy way to draw lines around a range of cells where you can specify to draw the line on the top, bottom, left or right side of the range? Thanks. highlight the range of cells, right click on the higlighted area, click Format, click borders. You should play around with the borders until you understand each border button behavior. Set thickness of the line is on the right. I normally do bold lines around the edge then in between cells I usually go with a thinner line. "Wayne Hummer" wrote: > Is there an easy way to draw lines around a range of cells where y...

To draw to GDI within a thread
Hello, i have a thread running with a loop of methods, they are drawing to the GDI (not GDI+). But there are no results on screen. It is like i would draw into a null-device. I've tested the following soultion: dont draw itself within a thread, but changing in this thread some parameters and call InvalidateRect. On WM_PAINT my main-program draws with the changed Parameters. But if there are more threads than one, it is very strange what happends. In my draw- and change-routine i've testet EnterCriticalSection and all that, it doesnt matter. When i have a simple thread with a unti...