Documenting database model diagram

Hi,

I've created typical database model diagram in Visio 2003 EA and need to
document it properly. Where can I put field descriptions and is there any
way to export diagram to any type of document or print report out.

Thanks in advance.
IK

visio 3638 articles. 1 followers. Follow

In Visio 2002 EA, you can double-click the Entity shape and there is a
"Notes" tab to put note descriptions.
There are also Note tabs for the fields as well.

Click on Database \ Report to generate a text report of the database model.

--
-ronnie
[MS]

"IK" <ikdeveloper@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I've created typical database model diagram in Visio 2003 EA and need to
> document it properly. Where can I put field descriptions and is there any
> way to export diagram to any type of document or print report out.
>
> Thanks in advance.
> IK

0
asdf5464 (91)
7/17/2003 12:34:09 AM
Thanks Ronnie for pointing me to Database/Report. I was looking at
Tools/Report. Also I did not noticed the last Notes tab on column properties
when you click Edit column in db properties. As for exporting diagram, the
XL spreadsheet format would be the ideal, but rtf doc might work for me as
well.
Best regards,
IK

Inserting data in .adp database
hello guys, I am trying to insert data in .adp dtabase.But i am not able to insert it,but when i tried it with .mdb file i am able to insert data....can you help me what should i do to inset data in .adp database. should i make change in data type in .adp database. For this i am using "Microsoft ole db provider for SQL Server" This is my data declaration in database in .adp file which is not working column Name Datatype length allownulls 1) ID int 4 2)DateTimeStamp timestamp 8 3) MarketNo smallint ...

How do get rid of formatting characters when reporting Issues from reporting database
Issue description and Issue Resolution because they are rich text (I guess) when reported via SQL Reporting Services contains all kinds of garbage like </div>, &nbsp, etc. What's the best way to strip the special characters out when reporting from the database? Thanks, Andy Novak UNT Hi Andy, you have a couple of options depending on your SQL version. If you run 2008 you can use the REport builder 2.0 which by the way renders the rich text. If you have 2005 you will need to write some code to strip the HTML tags out. Hope that helps -- Marc Soester [MV...

Backups, Logs, Databases.. Logs written when? Serious Problem
I have a server with 2500 Exchange 2003 Users, 3 Storage Groups, 4 Stores per group. I had to move around a bunch of users between mailbox stores within same storage group on all groups. Problem, now I have 21gigs in the logs and only 13 gigs left on my database spindles. If I run a full backup server will shut down? Not enough space on database spindles. Do I need to run and offline defrag? Do I need to move some mailboxes off server? Will moving mailboxes increase log size? -- DCMETRO1 On Wed, 20 Apr 2005 04:22:01 -0700, "DCMETRO1" <DCMETRO1@discussions.microsoft....

Excel spreedsheets that are linked to other documents. #REF!
Ok, I've already posted why i get a value change even though i hit dont update on my excel sheet. There was a regedit fix for it. However even though i have that fix on this one particular file I still get the #REF! error. This time what happens is this. I open the file, then i select dont update. The values don't change. But as soon as I insert a new column my values then change to #REF!. I can't figure this out. I'm stuck! I'm currently running Office 2003. Thanks, Mark mmollat wrote... >Ok, I've already posted why i get a value change even though i hit dont &g...

IE not able to display documents with invalid certificate. Fix?
I suddenly have again the effect that IE suddenly is unable to display documents that come with an invalid certificate (it's IE8 in my case now, but I had that very same effect already about a year ago with IE7 and it drove me nuts since many of our company internal webpages use invalid SLL certificates and they were suddenly not usable any more with IE). The effect manifest such, that there is first the warning page stating that "There is a problem with the website's security certificate". If I then click on the red "continue to this website" link I ...

Manual move of Exchange 2003 Databases?
We have installed a new SAN and want to move the location of our Exchange 2003 databases from the old SAN to the new SAN. I am familiar with Microsoft KB821915 on how to move databases and logs and have done that previously. However, our databases are quite large (some more than 100GB) and it has been my experience in the past that the MS recommended process takes quite a while. In the interest of shortening our maintenance window, we wanted to restore the files to the new SAN ahead of time. Then, during maintenance, take the databases offline, do a quick incremental backup and restore jus...

Project Biller Document
I would like to move/copy/whatever my modified invoice document from Sales to Project. Is this possible or do I need to recreate? Because the tables are different, you need to recreate. "Suzanne" <Suzanne@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:1FA429CB-1ECB-430F-A635-8395C49A5D40@microsoft.com... >I would like to move/copy/whatever my modified invoice document from Sales >to > Project. Is this possible or do I need to recreate? > > Thanks! "Charles Allen [MVP]" wrote: > Because the tables are different, you need to recreate. ...

POS 2009 -Changing Databases
I have a multistore environment, and currently with RMS I have a program I designed to switch databases using batch files and registry changes to change the database I'm working in with the click of a button. With POS 2009, I can't seem to find where there is either a registry file that contains this info, or if there is somewhere in the POS 2009 program files folder where I can change the db its pointing to. Anyone know where this is stored? Thanks and much appreciated! Ok, so I don't see ANYTHING for POS2009 in the registry. I did however come across this file in the r...

Access Database Conversion to Excel Database
I need to convert a downloaded database in Access format to an Excel format I can use on my desktop. Hi Greg One way Use Data>Import External Data in the menubar -- Regards Ron de Bruin (Win XP Pro SP-1 XL2000-2003) www.rondebruin.nl "greg" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:b0f301c3ec2b$2b12d830$a001280a@phx.gbl... > I need to convert a downloaded database in Access format > to an Excel format I can use on my desktop. ...

Splitting Database 05-13-10
I have completed the process for splitting my database with the assistance of this forum. But I realized that my code to post an appointment to the Outlook Calendar was no longer working. It gave me the message: "Compile Error: User- defined type not defined" and highlighted "Dim outobj As Outlook.Application. " of the code. So I looked at my references and realized that all were not transferred over to the new databases so I began to add the ones I had in the actual database. But now when I add the following reference - Microsoft DAO 3. 6 Object Library, it gives m...

XML documents and Web Forms
Hello I have an idea of what I want to do, but I'm not entirely sure how to do it, whether it's a practical or good idea and which components to use. Maybe someone here can point me in the right direction. OK the objective is to invite our customers to examine the data we hold on their company and their company's products, make alterations (add, change, remove) and send it back to us for checking and submission to our database. I have generated an xml document for each customer which I have saved into a field in an SQL server table. I have created an xsl which lets me send a pla...

Create inventory-like database?
I want to be able to create an inventory database for the weights of items that I have in stock. I keep items in stock in 2 different sizes so I would need to keep both of them in the database. I already have it broken down in an excel sheet so if there is a way to just import it...that would be great. Lastly, I would want to be able to search the style #, and then it would give me the resulting Weight in size 6 and 10. My excel sheet currently looks like this: Style # Weight Size 6 Weight Size 10 abc 1.1 1.5 def 1.5 2...

access sql database from client machine
I am having a office network consisting of a SBS2003 Server and 12 Client Computers running Windows XP. Now on one of the XP computers I am running SQL7 which holds the database to the program I am running. Now when I log into the system with a username (lets say John) who is a domain user in my sbs sever who has limited rights to the sql7 machine, I am able to run my program and access the database. Now when I log from another windows XP machine with the same user name and run my program I cannot access the SQL7 database as I get the msg “ Time Out “. However if I make the ...

Excel as a database
I am using excel as a database for customers. When I try to merge th database it adds 10 decimal points behind my financial numbers. would like it to merge exactly as it is in my database. Please help! By the way, I got it to work on all my fields except my % fields o fields that I need to show at least 2 decimal points -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Tools Options Edit Uncheck Fixed Decimal "Erin Jenkins" <Erin.Jenkins.yamea@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote in message news:Erin.Jenkins.yamea@excelforum-nospam.com... : I am using excel as a database for cu...

how to covert a jpeg to a word document?
I scanned articleand saved as a jpeg i want to put the text in a word document also use the pictures seperately any ideas how? Sounds like you need OCR (optical character recognition) software and rescan it creating a Word or other word processor document. -- Don Vancouver, USA "aisha stacey" <aisha stacey@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:79D8C2CE-6691-48CA-AD4C-833F68B47333@microsoft.com... > I scanned articleand saved as a jpeg i want to put the text in a word > document also use the pictures seperately any ideas how? basically you can't....

DBTYP.NET Studio 2010
DBTYP.NET Studio 2010 - Database Comparison Suite Released Vienna, Austria - March 8, 2010 Today, BYPsoft announced the availability of DBTYP.NET Studio 2010, the newest version of the cross-database comparison tool that compares SQL Server, MySQL and Oracle databases (schema and data). DBTYP.NET Studio 2010 is available for download from http://www.bypsoft.com. With its rich support for schema and data cross-database comparison, DBTYP.NET Studio takes the mystery out of databases, making their comparison practical and easy for programmers and database administrators everywh...

Lookup cell for documents in a folder
I am trying to create an overview of the time spent on projects. People hand in weekly time-charts in excel format where the projects are referenced by a standard number. So in effect I have a lot of separate excel files from which I would like to create a summary, which also updates when a new file is added to the folder. I have no idea if this is possible and if it is, how one should accomplish it. Can anyone help? There's a lot of information that would be needed for a complete solution, but I'll outline generally what would be needed. This would have to be done wi...

need vba help to clean up database #2
I tried to run this function and it didn't work. It asks me to update values and brings up a file search window. No matter what I do it just says name in the cells when I do the last function. The first function works fine but the second function is what confuses me. -- twist ------------------------------------------------------------------------ twist's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=16055 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=275142 The 2nd formula in Sheet2 is reading: Sheet1 Think you're getting the e...

how do i save as a .doc document? #2
How do i save a file as a .doc file? There are SCADS of reasons why you shouldn't and there are probably other ways to accomplish what you need. May I ask why you think you want to do that. -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] "al" <al@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:FD85697F-152D-4038-AE50-735BF3D963B2@microsoft.com... > How do i save a file as a .doc file? I want to upload my resume to monster.com and it said I need it in a .doc file "JoAnn Paules [MVP]" wrote: > There are SCADS of reasons why you shouldn't and the...

Backing up Exchange databases into smaller files
In a scenario which is becoming all too common, one of my clients has been using their email as the primary filing system for their business for the last few years. At this point they're stuck in their ways and I've had to relent, removing mailbox size limits and hoping that the automatic archiving is sufficient to keep things somewhat managable. Obviously, in this situation the Exchange database has become THE key file for their business and so having a solid backup plan in place is a high priority. While there's no trouble with the tape backup and media rotation, we're...

Excel link to Access Database
Please Help I have my Excel Spreadsheet pull data from access database. Somehow, it does work at one station but not the other. If you have any suggestion please help me. Thanks Perhaps the path to the .mdb is different or the user does not have access to the folder. An intranet path rather than something like Z:\CTHQ\Finance\ would look like :- \\CTHQ\Finance\ (2 slashes to start). --- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ Brian, Thanks for replying my message. However, that wht I have it setup. I think this may relate to the setup of OBDC driver. Do you know anyt...

What is the point of Document Connection?
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: Intel What exactly is the point of Document Connection? I have an Office Live account but I cannot delete items from the workspace from connection, nor can I add folders inside connection to my workspaces. codywilliams@officeformac.com wrote: > What exactly is the point of Document Connection? I have an Office > Live account but I cannot delete items from the workspace from > connection, nor can I add folders inside connection to my workspaces. It allows you to access and modify files on Office Live. It does not e...

Importing MS Office Excel Comma Separated Values Files into a MS Access 2003 database

How to Change Displayed on Master Visio Document Customer Shape Properties.
In Visio 2003, how can you change the shape properties that display on the main Visio document? For example, if you use the Raid Array Shape and fill out the 'U' or 'IP' information, it will display on the main document. I would like to also add the network name. Thanks in advance. so how did you get the ip address to display? Did you enter it into the text field? The units field is a special case. al "Master Tester" <nlmtest@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:1123616282.120291.25350@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com... > In Visio 2003, how can you change th...

Database query and parameters
Hello: It seems to me that the following things are true: 1. You cannot base and Excel query (using "Microsoft Query" at Data | Import External Data | New Database Query) off of a Microsoft Access query, if the Microsoft Access query has parameters. 2. You cannot use both GROUP BY and a parameter in an Excel query. If you use "GROUP BY", then it tells you the query is too complex to be displayed in design view. After this, if you try to add a parameter to the query it tells you that you cannot add a parameter if the query cannot be displayed in design view. So, my questi...