Different types of connection points

Apparently not all connection points are created equal.

If I place a standard rectangle shape, it comes in with 5 connection
points as indicated by the little x's: one in the center and one at
the midpoint of each edge.

If I change the shape into a "line" using Format | Behavior, then
changing the Interactional Style setting to Line (1-dimensional), then
all of the edge connection points will snap to and glue to most any
other connection points, but the one in the center will not.

Is there some way I can change that?

I would like to create two (or more) rectangle shapes that I can glue
together at their centers (or at other connection points I might add
insude the shape) and have that glue hold if I move or rotate the
shapes.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

--
Using Visio Standard 2002 on Win 2000
0

you might check this out

http://blogs.msdn.com/visio/archive/2006/09/15/756352.aspx

al

"LurfysMa" <invalid@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
> Apparently not all connection points are created equal.
>
> If I place a standard rectangle shape, it comes in with 5 connection
> points as indicated by the little x's: one in the center and one at
> the midpoint of each edge.
>
> If I change the shape into a "line" using Format | Behavior, then
> changing the Interactional Style setting to Line (1-dimensional), then
> all of the edge connection points will snap to and glue to most any
> other connection points, but the one in the center will not.
>
> Is there some way I can change that?
>
> I would like to create two (or more) rectangle shapes that I can glue
> together at their centers (or at other connection points I might add
> insude the shape) and have that glue hold if I move or rotate the
> shapes.
>
> Any help would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks
>

> --
> Using Visio Standard 2002 on Win 2000

0
edlund1 (616)
2/17/2007 6:16:24 PM
On Sat, 17 Feb 2007 12:16:24 -0600, "Al Edlund" <edlund@ameritech.net>
wrote:

>you might check this out
>
>http://blogs.msdn.com/visio/archive/2006/09/15/756352.aspx

Dynamic glue (I didn't know it was called that) won't quite do that I
need.

Maybe the problem is that I am trying to glue two connectors (or at
least shapes that have been converted into connectors) together -- and
at a point other than the end point.

I am trying to build an erector set. I need straight pieces with holes
every .25" or so where I can screw them together and they will pivot
about those screw connections.

--
Using Visio Standard 2002 on Win 2000
0
invalid (293)
2/17/2007 7:28:57 PM
On Sat, 17 Feb 2007 12:59:15 -0500, LurfysMa <invalid@invalid.invalid>
wrote:

>Apparently not all connection points are created equal.
>
>If I place a standard rectangle shape, it comes in with 5 connection
>points as indicated by the little x's: one in the center and one at
>the midpoint of each edge.
>
>If I change the shape into a "line" using Format | Behavior, then
>changing the Interactional Style setting to Line (1-dimensional), then
>all of the edge connection points will snap to and glue to most any
>other connection points, but the one in the center will not.
>
>Is there some way I can change that?
>
>I would like to create two (or more) rectangle shapes that I can glue
>together at their centers (or at other connection points I might add
>insude the shape) and have that glue hold if I move or rotate the
>shapes.
>
>Any help would be appreciated.

Connection points come in 3 different types:
0 = inward
1 = outward
2 = in and out

Setting the connection type to 2 is, I think, what you need in your
case. You can do this from the shapesheet.

--
Regards, Paul Herber, Sandrila Ltd.      http://www.pherber.com/
http://www.sandrila.co.uk/
wrote:

>On Sat, 17 Feb 2007 12:16:24 -0600, "Al Edlund" <edlund@ameritech.net>
>wrote:
>
>>you might check this out
>>
>>http://blogs.msdn.com/visio/archive/2006/09/15/756352.aspx
>
>Dynamic glue (I didn't know it was called that) won't quite do that I
>need.
>
>Maybe the problem is that I am trying to glue two connectors (or at
>least shapes that have been converted into connectors) together -- and
>at a point other than the end point.
>
>I am trying to build an erector set. I need straight pieces with holes
>every .25" or so where I can screw them together and they will pivot
>about those screw connections.

Once you have your items glued together you might like to have a look
at control handles to rotate one object around another.

--
Regards, Paul Herber, Sandrila Ltd.         http://www.pherber.com/
Electronics for Visio        http://www.electronics.sandrila.co.uk/

difference send as / receive as
Hi, I know that if you want under E2K "service account" access to mailboxes you must give yourself "send as"/ and "receive as" access ". But can anyone please tell me the whaht is the difference between the two permissions ? Regards Jenny Jenny wrote: > Hi, > > I know that if you want under E2K "service account" access to mailboxes you > must give yourself "send as"/ and "receive as" access ". But can anyone > please tell me the whaht is the difference between the two permissions ? > > Regards Je...

Differences in various auto-fit options (2007)
Does anyone know why these two autofit mechanisms give different results? 1. Right-click in table | AutoFit | AutoFit to Contents. 2. Select entire table | Double-click right border. Right-clicking in a table brings up a list of options. One of them is Auto-Fit. Selecting Auto-Fit, brings up three options: AutoFit to Contents (AFTC) AutoFit to Window (AFTW) Fixed Column Width (FCW) AFTW makes the table as wide as possible. I am not sure how it decides how wide to make each column. AFTC doesn't seem to work all the time. I have a table with 18 columns on a le...

Excel connectivity with Oracle OLAP
Hi guys Bit of a long shot but has anyone tried to connect from Excel to Oracle9i OLAP and manipulated the data using OLAP DML commands? Many thanks in advance for any info on this issue Cheers Ciaran Ciaran, This link might be of use for an ADO connection http://www.able-consulting.com/MDAC/ADO/Connection/OLEDB_Providers.htm#OLEDBProviderForOLAPServices -- HTH Bob Phillips ... looking out across Poole Harbour to the Purbecks (remove nothere from the email address if mailing direct) "Ciaran" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:54d901c3e5...

Counting how many different names in a long list
I have a list of 332 names many of them are duplicated. I am looking for a formula or function that can count how many unique names there are in the list. Can anyone help? -- Quaisne ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Quaisne's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=28052 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=501357 This'll count the number of distinct values in a range: =SUMPRODUCT((A1:A99<>"")/COUNTIF(A1:A99,A1:A99&"")) (adjust the range to matc...

AOL refusing connections from our Exchange Server
I just switched our Internet connection from a SBC ADSL Connection to an AT&T (same company now) T1 connection. Since the change AOL has been blocking connections "from" our Exchange Server. The Public IP Address that forwards to our internal Exchange Server is the registered MX Record for our domain, and I've checked ordb.org for open relays. I've also sent an eamil to the administrative contact registered with AOL, but got no response (not that I really expected one). Any ideas how to get this resolved? Perhaps I won't get email from AOL anymore :) -- P...

Accounts with multiple Relationship Types
Hi all! With some of our company' s Accounts we have multiple Relationship Types (eg. a Reseller can be a Customer too etc). How can we insert this information in Microsoft CRM 1.2? Is it necessary to create custom fields in the Account Form? Thanks a lot! Elena Galiatsou Athens, Greece You could choose a "primary" relationship type from the combo box, and then add a memo field to track additional relationship types. Not elegant, but I think it's the best you can do with version 1.0/1.2. Mike "SiEBEN Innovative Solutions" <newsgroup@sieben.gr> wrote i...

Using Float Type Variables for Primary on SQL 2005
We seem to have hit an oddity. We have a stored procedure that gets the next sequence number. It is protected by a transaction so no two processes could update the table of ids at the same time. Every so often, we get duplicates. How could that happen? Is the value based on mantissa? If so, is there a way to expanded it? Keep in mind, I can't change the type from float. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance On 2010-07-19 16:19, RG wrote: > We seem to have hit an oddity. > Please don't multi-post. If you have to post to multiple newsgroup...

Calculating date difference
Hi I need to calculate the number of years of service for person(difference between Start_Date & End_Date). The result should b in terms of years, months and days (all in one single cell). Ca someone please help? Thanks ----------------------------------------------- ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com ~~View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelForum.com Have a look at Chip's site: http://www.cpearson.com/excel/datedif.htm Andy. "rll" <rll.xjm6a@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote in message news:rll.xjm6a@excelforum-nospam.com... > &...

Corporate or Workgroup, send from different accounts
I have been using Outlook 2000 (CW) in order to attach history to my contacts in ACT! This has been running well. The problem I've run into is I used to be able click on the "Send" button and choose a different email account to send from, I no longer have that option since I set up the workgroup settings. The email account that I can't send from is a Linux firewall account we use for internal emails...I can receive emails, but I can't reply or send new messages. They keep coming back as undeliverable. Any suggestions/feedback would be greatly appreciated. ...

Office 2007 Connection to SBS 2003 via PPTP
We have an SBS 2003 server. We have a number of PCs running Office 2007. One of them is a notebook. When the notebook is in the office, Outlook connects to the server as expected. When we take the notebook out of the office and attempt to connect Outlook to the server thru PPTP, Outlook reports "Trying to connect to Microsoft Exchange" and never gets any futher. No timeouts. No failures. No nothing. Any ideas on how to solve this issue? Configure Outlook to connect over the internet using https/rpc. If you run the connect to the internet wizard and enable this it ...

How to know that character type in one cell of xls is more that s.
Q : How to know that character type in one cell of xls is more that s... E.g How i will come to know that i typed more than specified charater, when i am typing in that particular cell Your character to test is in A1 In another cell enter =CODE(A1)>CODE("s"). You will get TRUE or FALSE Or use =IF(CODE(A1)>CODE("s"),"Bigger","Not bigger") -- Bernard V Liengme www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme remove caps from email "Dharamendra" <Dharamendra @discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:C2427962-5283-43FD-B9B0-5B367EA2470A@microso...

back spacing is deleting what was already typed.
As I type a Document and need to add a word, or phrase by back-spacing Word deletes what was already typed letter by letter on that line. How do I correct the settings? That's what Backspace does on a computer. If you just want to go backward, use the left arrow key. -- Suzanne S. Barnhill Microsoft MVP (Word) Words into Type Fairhope, Alabama USA http://word.mvps.org "TinaMarie" <TinaMarie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:4C593814-5824-41EA-9854-7659B2F02217@microsoft.com... > As I type a Document and need to add a word, or ph...

Users can't access CRM via a VPN connection
Hi -- we're trying to set it up so our remote users can VPN into the office and use CRM via their Outlook client. We have CRM 3.0 and we're using a Check Point firewall. The CRM Outlook client works great when they're in the office but when they try during a VPN session they get the infamous error: "There is a problem communicating with the Microsoft CRM server. The server might be unavailabe..." Outlook connects to the Exchange server as it should -- but for some reason CRM won't work. I've already looked through the KB article 910090 and none of tha...

How do I automatically plot different ranges of data in different.
I need to chart parameters that are a function of three variables in the 2002 version of Excel. I have used the x and y axis to represent 2 variables on an 'xy chart', but require an automatic method to represent the value of the third variable. I have tried the 'bubble-plot', but cannot get sufficient resolution between the data. Is their any way that I may plot the third variable in different colours/shades, that automatically changes for different ranges of the the third variable? THis might help you: http://www.peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/format.html#CondChart &q...

"The connection to the Microsoft Exchange Server is uinavailable".
When trying to open Outlook I'm getting a message that says "The connection to the Microsoft Exchange Server is uinavailable. Outlook must be online or connected to complete this transaction." What does this mean and what do I do?? "=?Utf-8?B?a2V2aW4=?=" <kevin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in news:78BB4720-5BCC-4F47-95EF-469B8443D9D7@microsoft.com: > When trying to open Outlook I'm getting a message that says "The > connection to the Microsoft Exchange Server is uinavailable. Outlook > must be online or connected to complete this transa...

Editing a Visio drawing in Power Point sent via email?
I am trying to edit a flow-chart created using Visio 2000 and sent to me in a Power Point document, via email. I am using Visio Professional 2003. Thanks. is it really embedded (then of course where is the vsd file that it is related too)? Of course the flow chart addons are incompatible anyway. al "jim@techheat" <jim@techheat@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:9B248240-4DF1-43C3-A2B3-881381462F09@microsoft.com... >I am trying to edit a flow-chart created using Visio 2000 and sent to me in >a > Power Point document, via email. I am using Visio Pro...

create a csv file type format for a centrally access address book
Hello, We have Outlook 2003 clients on a LAN with a Small Business Server 2003 Standard editon box. We require a single fax document sent to new or existing clients with using our shared fax service from the SBS. Is there a way to create a .CSV file type format in Microsoft Excel for our new client database and import this information into Exchange as a seperate address book for fax use? Thank you in advance for your assistance. Joe See my response to your post in the contacts newsgroup.=20 --=20 Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP Author of Microsoft Outlook 2007 Programming: Jumpstart...

Operator Overload between different types
I'm trying to implement the overload for two different kinds of objects. I tryed for example: Dog1 + Dog2; Dog Dog::operator+(Dog& s) { return this->nBau + s.nBau; } it works fine. I need something... Dog1 + Cat1; ??? Dog::operator+(Cat& s) { return ???; } How can i implement my overload between different types and what type of object must return? I can only compile my program only specifing "return 0" in overload function but it doesn't work. Maybe i must implement overload function as static function outside class Dog? Some help please. My final n...

Automating Different Survey Results
Does anyone have any idea on how to facilitate the preparation of surve results? Our survey results are downloaded from our survey online facility (som facility when it can't even produce the report :sigh:). These survey are about the services of the different support groups of our company So each survey has its own set of questions. The backend process o translating these results is quite tedious and I've been thinking o how to automate it ... I know that there is a better way. I am usin Excel but only the standard features such as countif, sumproduct pivot, charts. But still it c...

different colors for x-Value axis
I want to use different colors for X-Values in X-axis of a chart. Is it possible? Example I-1, I-2 black II-1, II-2, II-3 grey III-1, III-2 red IV pink V-1, V-2, V-3 green -- Rasoul Khoshravan Azar Civil Engineer, Osaka, Japan The best solution is that, Excel brings the formatting of x-axis value from source cell. -- Rasoul Khoshravan Azar Civil Engineer, Osaka, Japan "Khoshravan" wrote: > I want to use different colors for X-Values in X-axis of a chart. Is it > possible? > Example > I-1, I-2 black > II-1, II-2, II-3 grey > III-1, III-2 red > IV pink >...

What's the Difference Between This NG and microsoft.public.excel.misc?
See Subject. -- W. eWatson (121.015 Deg. W, 39.262 Deg. N) GMT-8 hr std. time) Obz Site: 39� 15' 7" N, 121� 2' 32" W, 2700 feet Web Page: <www.speckledwithstars.net/> Hi, You are posting to the microsoft.public.excel so I'm not sure what you mean by the subject line? your's ends in .m which I don't think is a legal site. The microsoft Excel newgroup area has many sub-areas dealing with: Functions General Questions New users Charts Excel Application Errors Programming ...

connecting an unlinked story
I have a story with a broken link on page 9 and a new link from page 10 on. I want to link page 9 to page 10 to keep continuity. However, the only thing I'm allowed to link to is a blank page. Page 10 has data. If I insert a blank page after page 9 as the new page 10 and link 9& new page 10, I still can't link new page 10 to page 11 (which was old page 10) because it contains data and this program won't let you link to a page that contains data. If I try to cut the data out of page 11, the rest of the overflows into page 11, keeping if from being blank and accepting the ...

Reduction of data points used for a chart
I have exported a large number of data points from a chromatography data collection program into Excell. I have about 12000 x,y points. (Time versus milliVolts How can I reduce the amount of data points before making a chart? I would like, for example, to use only every tenth point for the chart. Ole - Suppose your data is in column C, starting in C2. In D2, put this formula =OFFSET(C$2,(ROW()-1)*10-1,0) And drag it down as far as you need. This puts the 10th, 20th, etc, points into column D. If you're plotting X-Y data, you need to do this for both X and Y. Use this new data for the...

Are there any significant differences in Excel 2003 from Excel 20.
I have some reference material for Excel 2002 and just wondering if it will be suitable for Excel 2003. Has anyone seen any significant differnces? Not really. You can read a review by MVP John Walkenbach on his website: http://www.j-walk.com/ss/excel/xl2003.htm HTH Jason Atlanta, GA >-----Original Message----- >I have some reference material for Excel 2002 and just wondering if it will >be suitable for Excel 2003. Has anyone seen any significant differnces? >. > ...

DST: Exch2k After patching, differences between meeting times and availability chart
Let me explain a bit more... 1. We applied the DST patches on all clients and servers, including the Exch2k box but we decided not to buy the CDO patch. 2. We used the Exchange tool 930879 to correct rebase appointments on all mailboxes. Some issues with a few meetings but OK in general. But we noticed that for every meeting that was corrected, the meeting time was OK, but the period of availability for a person invited to that meeting was still off! Example: The day before we did the updates, Tom booked a meeting with Paul on the March 25th from 9:00 to 10:00. After the updates, t...