Database and model synchronization

Hi,
we have database (on SQL server 2000) and want to be able
to maintain it from within Visio (version 2003 Enterprise
Architect) or at least use Visio for documentation the
database.
I created new Database model diagram and used Reverse
Engineering to fill it with our schema. The problem is
that if DB is modified, e.g. new table/SP is added (via
sql script or SQL Enterprise Manager) and then we want to
refresh the model in Visio with Database->Model->Refresh
command, Visio does not notice the change and does not
offer to add new table/SP into model.
Is there any setting to enable recognizing of new objects
in database hidden somewhere in Visio? How I could achieve
this?

Thanks
Filip
0
hurta (1)
9/18/2003 2:08:32 PM
visio 3638 articles. 1 followers. Follow

It's my understanding what you ask requires the Autodiscovery Tools that are
no longer offered.  You may have to use VBA programming to fill this need.

Randall Arnold

"Filip" <hurta@email.cz> wrote in message
> Hi,
> we have database (on SQL server 2000) and want to be able
> to maintain it from within Visio (version 2003 Enterprise
> Architect) or at least use Visio for documentation the
> database.
> I created new Database model diagram and used Reverse
> Engineering to fill it with our schema. The problem is
> that if DB is modified, e.g. new table/SP is added (via
> sql script or SQL Enterprise Manager) and then we want to
> refresh the model in Visio with Database->Model->Refresh
> command, Visio does not notice the change and does not
> offer to add new table/SP into model.
> Is there any setting to enable recognizing of new objects
> in database hidden somewhere in Visio? How I could achieve
> this?
>
> Thanks
> Filip

0
rarnold (162)
9/18/2003 2:45:05 PM
"Filip" <hurta@email.cz> wrote in message
> Hi,
> we have database (on SQL server 2000) and want to be able
> to maintain it from within Visio (version 2003 Enterprise
> Architect) or at least use Visio for documentation the
> database.
> I created new Database model diagram and used Reverse
> Engineering to fill it with our schema. The problem is
> that if DB is modified, e.g. new table/SP is added (via
> sql script or SQL Enterprise Manager) and then we want to
> refresh the model in Visio with Database->Model->Refresh
> command, Visio does not notice the change and does not
> offer to add new table/SP into model.
> Is there any setting to enable recognizing of new objects
> in database hidden somewhere in Visio? How I could achieve
> this?

I believe I read that new Stored Procedures are not picked up by a Refresh.
You will have to reverse-engineer them to get them in.
--
John Saunders
Internet Engineer

I Want to get Models Ready for Excel in french (where?)
Please Sirs, Give me the link to download Models ready for Excel, In french if possible. Thanks for your attention, Bests regards. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the message pane. http://www.microsoft.com/office/community/en-us/default.mspx?mid=af2e4b8a-836b-410c-9a4...

Access2000: Synchronizing forms
Hi In my project, I have a multi-page unbound form fmMain. In one of pages, I want a certain item register designed as follows: The is a subform sfMyReg0 with non-continous form fmMyReg0 as source. fmMyReg0 will serve as a container: Record Source = SELECT tblMyReg.* FROM tblMyReg WHERE ((([tblMyReg].[Type])=2)); Record Selectors = No; Navigation Buttons = No; There is a hidden textbox txtType (Value = 2) on fmMyReg; There is also a subform sfMyReg1 with continous form fmMyReg1 as source: Link Chield Fields = Type; Link Maste...

Movable object along tracks using joystick: model railroad controllers?
I'm curious about this. Does anybody know anything about using .NET with model railroads? Its controlling a moveable object along the tracks using a joystick I am interested in. ...

POP3/EarthLink Synchronization in Outlook Express
I am working with Windows XP and Outlook Express 6.0 and IE Ver 6.0 SP1. Periodically, I am unable to receive messages for my EarthLink account (however I have no problems receiving messages from my Hotmail account). I have started a dummy Outlook account (as I would like to keep using Outlook Express, as this is where all my addresses are located as well as message archives), and it seems to work OK with that. Any suggestions? Thanks, Tom ...

Is there a best practices FAQ, for using Volume Shadow Copy with Exchange 2003 databases?
We have Exchange 2003 Enterprise running on Windows 2003 Standard. I would like to start taking 'snapshots' of the log and database volumes regularly (4 times daily), as a way to do immediate interval restores of our Exchange DBs rather than having to dump from tape. Is there a best practices document, for doing this? Thanks in advance. NTBackup does not do snapshots of Exchange. You would need to find a 3rd party backup product that supports that. -- Ben Winzenz Exchange MVP MessageOne "Robert Gordon" <Robert.Gordon@nospam.dslextreme.com> wrote in message ...

change database that exists on the same server
Hi I'm trying to connect different database on a same server based on the varriable i set declare @scheme varchar(100) set @scheme = 'first' -- SELECT @scheme , @Plan , @SecurityRF, @Holdings, @StockName IF @scheme = 'first' BEGIN USE first END ELSE IF @scheme = 'second' BEGIN USE second END select db_name() set @scheme = 'second' -- SELECT @scheme , @Plan , @SecurityRF, @Holdings, @StockName IF @scheme = 'first' BEGIN USE first END ELSE IF ...

synchronization of Xml file access in .net Pro
Hi, Iam trying to develop a solution for my comapny in MS VS Pro, using C++.net. My work involves extensive usage of xml as well. I use DOM model for xml opeartions. Now the problem scenario is that multiple clients might be using my application as same time and trying to modify/update the same xml file. Therefore i need a mechanism to provide a synchronous access to the xml file. One very obvious solution to this problem is that I use lock on the file access. Other solution can invlove some kind of usage of synclock to lock the block the code accessing/updating the xml file. But i guess bo...

Convert 1.x access database
I only have access 2000, but the database, when I try to load, Access says it is not possible to convert from 1.x databases. Are there any tools available to convert my old database to a current format? BOFH I did it...thanks to those who are pondering. Is funny tho...the conversion utility fails, but you can import from an old database. heh heh. BOFH "BOFH" <john.hamilton70@ntlworld.com> wrote in message news:36h8enF5259hjU1@individual.net... >I only have access 2000, but the database, when I try to load, Access says >it is not possible to convert from 1.x...

This database is in an unexpected state
Hello! We are using Access 2000 and one of our databases comes up with: this database is in an unexpected state; Microsoft Access can't open it. There was a post by Frank Miller that had some code that would fix it, but unfortunately, I don't have the knowledge of what to do with this code. Will someone please help me? Thank you!!!! ...

Display image from sql database
I have an asp.net page that has an image control (named ImgSignature) inside a Panel. When the panel is visible, I want to get the image from the database varbinary(MAX) column and insert it into the asp Image control. I have the following code but is not working. Can someone help? Thanks. Using conData As SqlConnection = New SqlConnection(DBClass.GetCoreConnectionString) intPeopleLinkID = Convert.ToInt32(Request.QueryString("plid")) Const SQL As String = "SELECT [MIMEType], [SignatureImage] FROM [ClientS...

Is there a way to find the size of each database object?
Hi All I have a reasonably simple database but even after running "Compact & Repair" it seems the whole .mdb file is much larger than it should be compared to other MS Access database that I have created. Is there an easy way to find the size of each database object? I have forms with VB code and reports and macros. I have started a new .mdb file and importing the objects over one by one to find the culprit but this is (of course) a long and painful process. I performed a similar test where I imported each set of objects (tables, queries, forms, reports, macros ...

Cannot go to Design View although only one in database
I have a shared database that utilizes passwords for the users. Until recently, I have been able to go into design view to change form design. Now when I try to access design view I get an error stating someone else is in it when that is not true or if I log in as someone else, it will tell me I, under my original login, have it locked exclusively so I cannot make changes. This is after I log out. On Sun, 15 Jul 2007 13:46:00 -0700, Struggling to learn solo <Struggling to learn solo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I have a shared database that utilizes passwords for the user...

Enterprise Modeling
I just don't see the whole solution: I am in a company which provides engineering, procurement and construction management services to the chemical industry. I would like to develope some visual support to discuss on-going workflow and integration projects. I have read a few books on UML and have used it for specific software and work process modeling. But for the big picture, I don't see how to put it all together. I would like to start with a high level diagram which shows the interactions (static) between the company and the rest of the world. I imagine a diagram showing the di...

Comparing Models
I have an excel financial model that I recently made changes to. I want to compare an older version of the same model to the new version to see what changes I made. Is there an easy way of doing so? There are a lot of behind the scenes formulas in this model that I periodically update. A collegue in my office used an older version to do a financial analysis and I'm concerned about it not reflecting the updates. Thanks. Cell by cell comparison (a1 with a1, z52 with z52???). If yes, you could use Myrna Larson and and Bill Manville's addin. Here's a link to the program ...

Query a database on a server not working
I've set-up a query on a database that's on our server and I get an error: "UNEXPECTED ERROR FROM EXTERNAL DATABASE DRIVER (11270)", but if I save that database to my local drive, the query works just fine. How can I make the query work with the database on the server? ...

Void Checks
Hello - I work with a 3rd party integrator and need to find where the void checks are stored in Great Plains. Does anyone know how I can find these in the table(s)? Many thanks in advance! amanda PM30200 with a DocType = 6 and Voided =1 "alj" wrote: > Hello - > > I work with a 3rd party integrator and need to find where the void > checks are stored in Great Plains. Does anyone know how I can find > these in the table(s)? > > Many thanks in advance! > amanda > ...

Exchange 2003 database offline defragmentation
My Exchange 2003 database is already over 16GB, and must do the offlin defragment as soon as possible. Just search the info from Microsoft but don't have much detail on this. So please help. Thanks. 1. Do I need to stop the 'MS Exchange Information Store', 'MS Exchang Management', 'MS Exchange MTA Stacks', and 'MS Exchange Syste Attendant' services before I dismount the mailbox store? 2. Is this command correct to run the defragmentation utility on th mailbox store database with a backup? The command is: eseutil /d c:\progra~1\exchsrvr\mdbdata\priv1.edb /...

How to show field structure on my ER database diagram
hi all, I creating a database flow using Entity Relationship shape diagram. My problem is, how to get my field structure show on my databse digram. Currently, I can see only Primary ID and Field Name WITHOUT field strcuture [example : Character(10) ]. Anyone know w/r I can do that in Ms. visio ? I am using ms visio professional 2003. -- Masita ...

Database #2
Hi I�m a new and I have a problem. I have a customer excelsheet and a envoice excelsheet.I want to put the information(name,address) from customer to envoice when I put the customer number in the envoice automatic. How can I do that? thank you fot helping. :) -- ljud2 ------------------------------------------------------------------------ ljud2's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=25087 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=385999 You can use a data validation list to create a dropdown list of customer numbers. The...

Who is slowing the Exchange Database down?
We use an Exchange 2003 Ent server with a number of RAID 10 databases. All works fine but maybe once a month (or not even that) we may get an email about one of the database (from our MOM server) with Disk Write Latencies > 50 msec. This may last for a couple of minutes, but how can I find out who it is or just pin point it down to something? I have tried using file monitor but find this useless. Another is Exmon, when we get this latency error i run this to find the high users at that time are on a tottaly differnt DB and not the one in quetsion? Any idreas woudl be most welcom...

Restricting User's Access to Database
Hello,I have created an order entry database with switchboard that is linkedto two forms and a bunch of reports. I have send it to about 30 usersto test it out with everything in the startup menu of the dabaseturned off except for my custom menu. I have found that although weare all running Acess 2000. some users were experiencing problems,specifically it seemed that one of the objects in my liblary MicrosoftAccess Excel 11.0 was not available on their computer, the latestversion was 10.0. I fixed the problem using my collegue's computerwhich also was missing object 11.0.I would like to...

SQL/MS Access Database : Update record with incremental view count.
Greetings, Even though Im working with JSP I connect to an MS Access Database, I want to select a record and then after the select Update the field 'ViewCount' by incrementing it by ONE each time the same record is retrieved via the SELECT * TABLE statement. To clarify I've done an example below, would this work? UPDATE TABLE SET = VIEWCOUNT = VIEWCOUNT + 1 WHERE ID = FORM.ID Hope this makes sense Rob W yah looks great but you need to do this instead UPDATE TABLE SET VIEWCOUNT =3D VIEWCOUNT + 1 WHERE ID =3D FORM.ID I think that you had one too many equal signs in t...

Reporting custom fields database verify problem
I have installed MS CRM 1.2 on the web server. Installed Crystal 9.2.2 and CRM v1.2 Crystal Reports Enhancement on my workstation. I can modify the reports on CRM, but when I do a Verify Database to see the custom fields that I want to add to the report I receive the following error: Logon failed. Details: An error occurred while resolving logged on user IDs though the BizUser service. I tried to log on using trusted connection in the Microsoft CRM connection "http://MS crm servername/MSCRMServices". I also tried to use domain\user and password, but with the same result....

Selective counting of database entries
Some of you may remember that my main translation memory software (D�j� Vu from Atril - see www.atril.com) is based on MS Access (97 / 2000) - see previous discussion at <http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.access/browse_frm/thread/f5dead96c1d3c65d/>. The translation memory databases have 'Client' and 'Subject' attributes, among others. I would like to count the number of entries contained in my main database for specific client/subject combinations (and for some clients I would also like to count the number of words). I assumed that this would possib...

How do I import graphics from the database
Hello all, My SQL Server 2000 database has a buch of jpeg images stored in columns of type "image". I 'd like to bring them into Excel. What is the best way to do that. As of now I can see several approaches: 1. Database Query. But it doesn't want to convert image column in database to pictures in Excel. 2. VBA. Any thoughts? ...