Data Modeling:Lookup table and Main table:establishing relationshi

I am working on creating data model from existing database using MS
Visio 2007 Profesional Edition.
Existing database is w/o PK-FKs & I am working to create relational DB
which enforces RI.
I have a lookup table which contains language codes,used by main
table. The problem ,I am running into, is that these
languagecodes(from lookup table) are used by 3 columns in main table.
So, I am wondering how can I enforce PK-FK relationship here.
As in...
language_code from lookup table is PK and it has to associated w/
column(s) existing in main table.
Something like following:
Lookup Table                  Main table
Column#1                     Column A
column#2                      Column B
                                    Column C
                                    Column D
I want to link Column#2 to Column A, Column B and Column C.

FYI:
I think VISIO doesn't allow relating a single column (Of lookup table)
to 3 different columns(of main table). It associates with Either ColA
or ColB or ColC.. not with all of them

Please advise

Thanks
visio 3638 articles. 1 followers. Follow

------=_NextPart_0001_25CA14B2

It's true that Visio doesn't have a mechanism to set up such a structure,
as far as I know.  But I'm trying to understand how you set it up in SQL
(for instance).  What DDL code would you use to define the relationship as
you envision it?  You have to basically ask SQL to parse a single column
into three columns ...  which would require code of some sort.  A trigger
is not a relationship.

Barb Way
Product Support - Visio
Microsoft Corporation
[This posting is provided "As Is" with no warranties, and confers no
rights.]
--------------------

[...]

\viewkind4\uc1\pard\f0\fs26 It's true that Visio doesn't have a mechanism to set up such a structure, as far as I know.  But I'm trying to understand how you set it up in SQL (for instance).  What DDL code would you use to define the relationship as you envision it?  You have to basically ask SQL to parse a single column into three columns ...  which would require code of some sort.  A trigger is not a relationship.
\par
\par Barb Way
\par Product Support - Visio
\par Microsoft Corporation
\par [This posting is provided "As Is" with no warranties, and confers no rights.]
\par \pard\li720 --------------------
\par
\par I am working on creating data model from existing database using MS
\par Visio 2007 Profesional Edition.
\par Existing database is w/o PK-FKs & I am working to create relational DB
\par which enforces RI.
\par I have a lookup table which contains language codes,used by main
\par table. The problem ,I am running into, is that these
\par languagecodes(from lookup table) are used by 3 columns in main table.
\par So, I am wondering how can I enforce PK-FK relationship here.
\par As in...
\par language_code from lookup table is PK and it has to associated w/
\par column(s) existing in main table.
\par Something like following:
\par Lookup Table                  Main table
\par Column#1                     Column A
\par column#2                      Column B
\par                                     Column C
\par                                     Column D
\par I want to link Column#2 to Column A, Column B and Column C.
\par
\par FYI:
\par I think VISIO doesn't allow relating a single column (Of lookup table)
\par to 3 different columns(of main table). It associates with Either ColA
\par or ColB or ColC.. not with all of them
\par
\par Please advise
\par
\par Thanks
\par \pard
\par
\par }
------=_NextPart_0001_25CA14B2--

0
barbway (115)

Directly link item engineering data rev level to PO entry/update
Common industry standard is to note the revision level of the item ordered on the PO... this is required for ISO. There is no direct table link from item engineering data to the PO Entry/update regarding item's current revision level. -- Steve Laurenzano K-Rain Manufacturing ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based News...

Outlook Time Zone Data Update Tool
I'm not having any luck in finding more information about the Outlook Time Zone Data Update Tool and even a harder time locating the download. I've read article http://www.microsoft.com/windows/timezone/dst2007.mspx, it contains a link to the Microsoft Download Center but the tool doesn't list when you select the downloads for Outlook. I tried to do a search on MS for the "Outlook Time Zone Data Update Tool", with no luck locating the download. Does anyone know where to obtain a copy of the tool or if Microsoft has released it out to download. The MS articles state it...

drop down arrow missing on pivot table when refreshed
I used this to get rid of old items in a pivot table. Sub DeleteItems() ' Dim ws As Worksheet Dim pt As PivotTable Dim pf As PivotField Dim pi As PivotItem On Error Resume Next For Each ws In ActiveWorkbook.Worksheets For Each pt In ws.PivotTables pt.RefreshTable For Each pf In pt.VisibleFields If pf.Name <> "Data" Then For Each pi In pf.PivotItems If pi.RecordCount = 0 And _ Not pi.IsCalculated Then pi.Delete End If Next End If Next Next Next end sub when refreshing the pivot table the drop down arrows on the page by fields disappear. We are runn...

Template Wizard with Data Tracking #2
I have been using this add-in just fine for about a year, gathering data from about 20 users onto an Excel Database by having them all use the template. But I recently made some changes and then began having the following problem: After a worksheet has been created using the template, and saved as a new record in the database, and then we want to go back in to change the record and update it in the database, the option does not appear to update the database; the only options continue to be to create a new record or to proceed without saving to the database. It is as though the sys...

How to create report from Pivot Table View of Union Query?
Hi all, I have create a Union ALL Query. I want to generate a report from it. The Pivot Table View of this Union Query shows exactly what I want (having Row Heading, Column Heading and Detailed Data), so how can I make it as a Report? I have tried to create new report, but there is no options of making a pivot table (something like Crosstab Query and Pivot Table View of the Union Query). Also tried to export to Excel, but it shows only count of records. I want all detailed records. Thank you. -- Message posted via http://www.accessmonster.com Hi Duane, I tried to create a crosstab qu...

Pivot table chart problem, How to show different subtotal levels
Hi, Using Excel 2003, I have a pivot table using external data via ODBC. I have a chart based on my pivot table. The table and chart are working correctly. The PTcontains two levels of sales subtotals 1st level is by county 2nd level is by state. My client is telling me that the data in the chart is too detailed. He wants to have the both levels of subtotals in the PT, but only the county subtotals in the chart. If I delete the county sales subtotals from the chart, they are also deleted from the PT. Is it possible for the chart to be based on the PT and not show ...

Pivot tables #12
Is it possible to insert a calculated field that is the absolute valu of an already existing calculated field. i.e I have a list of value that are both positive and negative in a pivot table and I would lik to sort the list by the absolute value each number -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Create a calculated field that uses the ABS function, and refers to the existing calculated field. For example: =ABS(Variance) oa6n < wrote: > Is it possible to insert a calculated field that is the absolute value > of an already existing calculated field. i.e I have a list of...

Insert fields dynamically into database from a staging table
Hi all, In our lab when ever a test is performed results are stored in test_results table ( 10 records at maximum) and with click of a button these results should be loaded to database, but I have any issue here, each time the test_result table will have different field names ( one time it will have test1 , test2 , test3 with labid, next time it might have test1, test4, test5 and labid) so how can I load these fields from test_results table into database auomatically. Datebase has all these fields so how can I map the test_results tables fields to database fields to run my dynamic inse...

System Data Protection 2007 on a SBS 2008 Domain
Hi all, This is a lab situation where I have SBS 2008 running on HyperV and doing well... I would like to install Server 2008R2, give it 2 or 4 GBs RAM, 2 CPUs and then install System Data Protection 2007 Has anyone tried this? Is it doable at all? Thanks to all, Dan On Jan 7, 11:52=A0am, "Daniel Jewel" <cyberdud...@yahoo.com.br> wrote: > Hi all, > > This is a lab situation where I have SBS 2008 running on HyperV and doing > well... > > I would like to install Server 2008R2, give it 2 or 4 GBs RAM, 2 CPUs and > then install Sy...

Pivot tables layout
Hello, Doe anyone knows why the initial layout from a pivot table (2007) is different? In one sheet it provides a matrix in which I can drop row, colums and data items. In another sheet it only shows a square stating that I should use the pivot table field list?? regards, Just ...

Delete duplicates in table
Is there a "neat" way to delete records which are duplicates as defined as equal in a particlular field. I can do it with VBA but wonder whether it can be done in SQL. It's pretty easy IF you have a primary key assigned for that table AND you really, really know which records that you don't want to keep. For example you define a duplicate as having the same data in a field but other fields have different data. Which record stays and which record(s) get deleted? On the other hand if a record is completely duplicated in every field AND there are no relationships with ref...

Query to Redistribute a Table
Hi I am struggling with how to query a table with the current structure: Field1 Field2 ...Field14 Jan Feb Mar Apr... x y ...z 10 15 13 16... etc, It represents sales per month to customers per delivery adress, product and so forth.The numbers under each month respresents the sales for that month. I need to be able to query so I can see all detalis (ie fileds 1-14) per row per month, ie redistribute that original table so I can use month as a field and still use all the original fields. My new table needs to be something link Month Field 1 Field2 ... Field14 New ...

How do I find root mean square of a periodic data in Excel

Compare CString with entry from string table
How do I do to compare a CString with an entry from my string table? >How do I do to compare a CString with an entry from my string table? Joachim, Load the string resource into another CString and compare the 2 CStrings. Dave -- MVP VC++ FAQ: http://www.mvps.org/vcfaq ...

Utilities for Importing Data into O2003
Anyone have suggestions for utilities that allow importing into custom fields in Outlook from Excel and other formats? Shawn See http://www.outlookcode.com/d/customimport.htm#tools --=20 Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP Author of Configuring Microsoft Outlook 2003 http://www.turtleflock.com/olconfig/index.htm and Microsoft Outlook Programming - Jumpstart for=20 Administrators, Power Users, and Developers http://www.outlookcode.com/jumpstart.aspx "srm" <srm@primatech.com> wrote in message = news:1139309174.143782.221290@g43g2000cwa.googlegroups.com... > Anyo...

Ungroup a pivot table in XL 2000
I have a pivot table with dates grouped by month. In XL2002, if I want to ungroup them, I can use the PivotTable toolbar. I also have to do this in XL2000, but I don't see the same tool bar. How do you ungroup a pivot table in XL2000? -- Thanks, Fred Please reply to newsgroup, not e-mail You can right-click on the field button in the pivot table, and choose 'Group and Outline'. OR, select the cell that contains the field button On the Standard toolbar, choose Data>Group and Outline Fred Smith wrote: > I have a pivot table with dates grouped by month. > > In ...

Microsoft Money 2005 not picking up data
I have recently bought a new computer (still with XP) and a) loaded my copy of MM 2005 Standard to it and b) loaded the data files for MM which I copied from the old computer. But I cannot get the program to pick up the data - and of course, support from Microsoft ended last month! Can anyone suggest what I should do to get the data to connect with the software program? -- Patsy In microsoft.public.money, patsy <patsycj@ozemail.com.au(donotspam)> wrote: >I have recently bought a new computer (still with XP) and a) loaded my copy >of MM 2005 Standard to it and b) loaded th...

Lookup function question
I am looking to create a formula that will see if a value from column 1 sheet 1 is present in column 1 sheet 2, and if it is, return the value from column 2 sheet 2... Can anyone help me with this? Thanks in advance... =VLOOKUP(Sheet1!A1,Sheet2!A1:B1000,2) This gets A1 from Sheet1 and tries to find it in column A of Sheet2. If found, the value in column B is returned. -- Gary''s Student - gsnu201001 "clevelandkid" wrote: > I am looking to create a formula that will see if a value from column 1 sheet > 1 is present in column 1 sheet 2, and...

Lookup Problem #2
Hello, I use this formula to sum numbers. I am trying to use the same formul to return text. What do I have to replace sum with? {=SUM(IF(A2>=Sheet2!$E$1:$E$51,IF(Sheet1!A2<=Sheet2!$F$1:$F$51,Sheet2!$G$1:$G$51,0)))} Thanks Gre -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Hi thre's no such build-in function. How do you want to 'Sum' text values?. -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "Gbonda >" <<Gbonda.19r3p8@excelforum-nospam.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:Gbonda.19r3p8@excelforum-nospam.com... > Hello, > > I use this form...

Search/Lookup Problem
Hi, I have a large list of invoice numbers, for which there can be more than 1 set of data, and I have no other value that could be used as a lookup value etc. Given something like: Col A Col B Row 1 123354 20 Row 2 114868 1235 Row 3 123354 400 Row 4 123354 546 Row 5 194583 2 How could I get separate sheet to lookup the invoice numbers in Col A, then return the respective Col B value, without returning the same number twice, eg 123354 20 123354 400 123354 546 114868 1235 194583 2 Any help would be greatfully received. Cheers Simon "Si...

create & edit table in tasks or Journal
Hi, I am trying to insert or create and edit table in MS Outlook task or Journal. And up to now the only place where I can create and edit table in MS Outlook is in email. But email is not useful for me because I am trying to track progress with Jello. And with Jello I can categorize each task into separate project but not emails. Any idea? ...

Exchange migration wizard "data invalid"
I am in the process of an Exchange 2003 email migration between 2 forest with an external trust that has been established. I would like to use the Exchange Server Migration tool, but on the screen where you pick the specific mailboxes to move, it gives me an error of "the data is invalid". The specified account does have Full exchange administrator rights. ...

A good database modelling tool
I am looking for a good database modelling tool in order to design an sql server database. What is about VISIO and which version is the best? On Thu, 2 Sep 2010 00:32:07 -0700, Gal <Gal@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I am looking for a good database modelling tool in order to design an >sql server database. > >What is about VISIO and which version is the best? It depends on what you want to do with the modelling tool! If you have a MSDN subscription then you may want to try VISIO, but there are plent of other options available and some have trial versi...

Loss of data while importing into Excel
Hi can anyone tell me why the following data from the xml file is not displayed in Excel whem importing it from the GetData menu ? file: http://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/106618/000092189503000689/kle1.xml missing data item in Excel: <rptOwnerName>KLEIN LOUIS JR</rptOwnerName> Many thanks, Oliver chs245@yahoo.com (chs245) wrote in message news:<f05ec318.0310030121.7dbcb9f9@posting.google.com>... > Hi > > can anyone tell me why the following data from the xml file is not > displayed in Excel whem importing it from the GetData menu ? > > file: ht...

How do you lock cells - the format
Especailly dragging and C&P to fill the cells? Marc Try selecting the cell and then from the Data menu select validation this gives you a list of entries that can be made into that cell "Marc" <mcneer(N_O-S_P_A_M)@mindspring.com> wrote in message news:Wfi5e.2284$sp3.1153@newsread3.news.atl.earthlink.net... > Especailly dragging and C&P to fill the cells? > > Marc > > ...