Best shapes to use for a site plan with a home outline

I am using Visio to create a site plan for a home site.  I'm talking about a
single line to create the perimeter of the property and a single line to
create the outline of the home.  The idea is to create what looks like a
building lot survey from a surveyor with a home outline placed on the lot.
That simple.  I find that the "property line shape" works fine for the
property line.  The only shape that I can find to easily draw a thin line
outline of a house is the "line with extensions" shape.  It works OK, I just
don't understand why I can't find a "line without extensions" shape since I
only want to snap the end of one line to the end of another line to create a
very simple outline view of a house.  The extensions seem to get in the way
and I always have to shorten them to be the same length as the snap point
part of the shape or else they are always extending past the corners.  Is
there a better way to do this- drawing the outline of the home?

Thanks.

--
David Jensen
Change the xyz in my email address to MJ for my real email address.  Thanks.

0
DJNews1 (2)
1/31/2006 1:16:54 PM
visio 3638 articles. 1 followers. Follow

Could you possibly just use the "Line Tool" in the "Drawing" tool palette?

This will allow you to trace the points you've already lain, and actually
create a closed shape.

Sounds too easy, maybe I've misunderstood... : )

--
Hope this helps,

Chris Roth
Visio MVP

"David Jensen" <DJNews1@xyzAssociates.net> wrote in message
>I am using Visio to create a site plan for a home site.  I'm talking about
>a single line to create the perimeter of the property and a single line to
>create the outline of the home.  The idea is to create what looks like a
>building lot survey from a surveyor with a home outline placed on the lot.
>That simple.  I find that the "property line shape" works fine for the
>property line.  The only shape that I can find to easily draw a thin line
>outline of a house is the "line with extensions" shape.  It works OK, I
>just don't understand why I can't find a "line without extensions" shape
>since I only want to snap the end of one line to the end of another line to
>create a very simple outline view of a house.  The extensions seem to get
>in the way and I always have to shorten them to be the same length as the
>snap point part of the shape or else they are always extending past the
>corners.  Is there a better way to do this- drawing the outline of the
>home?
>
> Thanks.
>
> --
> David Jensen
> Change the xyz in my email address to MJ for my real email address.
> Thanks.

0
Chris
2/1/2006 1:57:49 PM
Chris, I think that that is what I was looking for.  I'm new to Visio and
had a case of tunnel vision.  I had chosen the "site plan" template and
thought that all my shape selections had to be from the shape selection
folders on the left of the screen that are apparently specific to that
template.  I had not seen the drawing toolbar up above.  I was trying to
understand what the big deal was about Visio since drawing a house outline
as I was doing sure didn't seem very efficient of intuitive.  The standard
line tool, that I now know exists, makes a lot more sense!

Thanks very much for your response.

David

"Chris [Visio MVP]" <visioguy at hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Could you possibly just use the "Line Tool" in the "Drawing" tool palette?
>
> This will allow you to trace the points you've already lain, and actually
> create a closed shape.
>
> Sounds too easy, maybe I've misunderstood... : )
>

> --
> Hope this helps,
>
> Chris Roth
> Visio MVP
>
> "David Jensen" <DJNews1@xyzAssociates.net> wrote in message
>>I am using Visio to create a site plan for a home site.  I'm talking about
>>a single line to create the perimeter of the property and a single line to
>>create the outline of the home.  The idea is to create what looks like a
>>building lot survey from a surveyor with a home outline placed on the lot.
>>That simple.  I find that the "property line shape" works fine for the
>>property line.  The only shape that I can find to easily draw a thin line
>>outline of a house is the "line with extensions" shape.  It works OK, I
>>just don't understand why I can't find a "line without extensions" shape
>>since I only want to snap the end of one line to the end of another line
>>to create a very simple outline view of a house.  The extensions seem to
>>get in the way and I always have to shorten them to be the same length as
>>the snap point part of the shape or else they are always extending past
>>the corners.  Is there a better way to do this- drawing the outline of the
>>home?
>>
>> Thanks.
>>
>> --
>> David Jensen
>> Change the xyz in my email address to MJ for my real email address.
>> Thanks.

0
DJNews1 (2)
2/1/2006 10:46:05 PM
Well, they added a lot of toolbars over the years, so it's easy to miss some
of the functionality!

> Chris, I think that that is what I was looking for.  I'm new to Visio and
> had a case of tunnel vision.  I had chosen the "site plan" template and
> thought that all my shape selections had to be from the shape selection
> folders on the left of the screen that are apparently specific to that
> template.  I had not seen the drawing toolbar up above.  I was trying to
> understand what the big deal was about Visio since drawing a house outline
> as I was doing sure didn't seem very efficient of intuitive.  The standard
> line tool, that I now know exists, makes a lot more sense!
>
> Thanks very much for your response.
>
> David
>
> "Chris [Visio MVP]" <visioguy at hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Could you possibly just use the "Line Tool" in the "Drawing" tool
>> palette?
>>
>> This will allow you to trace the points you've already lain, and actually
>> create a closed shape.
>>
>> Sounds too easy, maybe I've misunderstood... : )
>>

>> --
>> Hope this helps,
>>
>> Chris Roth
>> Visio MVP
>>
>> "David Jensen" <DJNews1@xyzAssociates.net> wrote in message
>>>I am using Visio to create a site plan for a home site.  I'm talking
>>>about a single line to create the perimeter of the property and a single
>>>line to create the outline of the home.  The idea is to create what looks
>>>like a building lot survey from a surveyor with a home outline placed on
>>>the lot. That simple.  I find that the "property line shape" works fine
>>>for the property line.  The only shape that I can find to easily draw a
>>>thin line outline of a house is the "line with extensions" shape.  It
>>>works OK, I just don't understand why I can't find a "line without
>>>extensions" shape since I only want to snap the end of one line to the
>>>end of another line to create a very simple outline view of a house.  The
>>>extensions seem to get in the way and I always have to shorten them to be
>>>the same length as the snap point part of the shape or else they are
>>>always extending past the corners.  Is there a better way to do this-
>>>drawing the outline of the home?
>>>
>>> Thanks.
>>>
>>> --
>>> David Jensen
>>> Change the xyz in my email address to MJ for my real email address.
>>> Thanks.

0
Chris

Home Page Ending Balance?
For some reason, my checking account balance shown on "My Money Home Page" (MS 2004) no longer agrees with the balance shown in the register. It's off by a few dollars. There are no future transactions - all balances are current. I've tried changing the opening balance, but that simply changes the register amount. The register balance and home page balance still don't agree. Any ideas? Thanks! Make a backup and try repairing the file. file: repair money file: quick file repair. -- "Dave M." <DaveM@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message n...

bussiness,bussiness cards,bussiness week,bussiness letter format,bussiness casual,bussiness plan,bussiness letter,bussiness card size,bussiness card template,bussiness objects,bussiness for sale
Getting started with home-based business may be troublesome and in many cases people may get mystified on 'how to actually go about it'. Many individuals wish to undertake online business, but the fears of starting usually pull them behind. Here, you need to realize that 'information' is the function of acquaintance which means that 'the more knowledge one gets regarding what he wants to do, the easier and better it becomes for him to do it'. Therefore, you need to look for useful details before you decide to undertake home based business. More Detailed Visit:...

Space Plan Startup Wizard
I am trying to follow a document from Microsoft title "Convert a CAD floor plan into a Visio Professions Space Plan diagram". The document says it applies to Microsoft Visio Professional 2002 (which I am running). Step one, says 1) In Visio Professional, on the File menu, point to New, point to Building Plan, and then click Space Plan. This works fine. Step two says 2) In the Space Plan Startup Wizard, click CAD drawing. Locate the CAD drawing that you want to insert, and then click Open. I don't get a startup Wizard. I re-did the installation process and made sure ...

Best Practices shows 114 GB Database Size limit
I just ran a best practices scan against my Exchange 2003 SP2 Server and it shows that the Mailbox limit is 114 GB. I though the limit was going to be 75 GB in SP2? The value data in the Database Size Limit in GB registry key is 72 hex. DO I have it configured wrong? SHould it read 114 GB in the best practices scan? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks -- jgarcia 72 Hex is 114 decimal...you need to set it correctly in your registry. "mrjules" <mrjules@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:8BD7A4CB-DFA0-4485-844F-3BE6A3A56ACE@microsoft.com... >I ju...

Excel hanging (macro use)
Can anyone help? I'm running Office 2000 on Windows 95. I've previously been able to open an excel spreadsheet containing macros but today it's just hanging. I've tried restarting but still can't get into the app. I click on the Enable Macros button and it just hangs. Anyone have any ideas? Many thanks, Richard. --- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ Hi Richard, Can you open it without macros enabled? Can you open it with a different user profile? Try uninstalling any Add-ins you have and see if that works. HTH, Greg "fergusor >" <&l...

2010 CAS and 2007 CAS same AD site
Hello all I have a 2007 sp2 CAS server and a 2010 CAS server located in the same AD site. On the 2007 CAS server i have changed the externalurl from https://mail.kbblab.com/owa to https://legacy.kbblab.com/owa, i left the internalurl at its default setting. On the 2010 CAS server the externalurl points to https://mail.kbblab.com/owa and i set the Exchange2003URL to https://legacy.kbblab.com/owa. The 2010 CAS server is using FBA authentication and basic with SSL. The 2007 CAS server is using NTLM and windowsintegrated for internaluathenticationmethods. I have created an ...

VLOOKUP into a closed xls using VBA
Hello -- Can someone show me the format for using VLOOKUP in VBA to get a value from a closed xls file? In a worksheet =VLOOKUP(1,TA_TestScript.xls!TestCases,2,FALSE) TA_TestScript.xls is the closed file works, but I can't figure out the correct combination of [ ], " ", etc. to make it work in VBA. Thanks for any help. Larry Mehl --- Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free. Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com). Version: 6.0.576 / Virus Database: 365 - Release Date: 1/30/2004 Sorry ... wrong group. I have had so many questions on charting recently I ...

Creating a combination chart using cluster column & stacked bar t.
I need to create a combination chart, using cluster column and stacked bar types. I need to "cluster" two columns side by side without space in between, with stacked bars within each of these columns. Then, have space along the x axis, and have 2 more columns clustered made up of stacked bars within. I am charting 2 years side by side, with different types of data within the columns, so need to stack/segment the column. How do I create and combination chart, and how do I select these 2 types to combine together? HELP, PLEASE?!? If you stagger your data, you can create sid...

use USB security token in outlook
how can use security token in outlook. i want do encrypt message and signed mail with my security token. my token support pkcs#11 Dear YOu will need the certificates for same. You can find the free certificates of TAWTE for testing then you can send the encrypted messages. I hope this will help you. The best dual security is Alddin. It works fine. Best regards Sharad "Fanian" wrote: > how can use security token in outlook. > i want do encrypt message and signed mail with my > security token. > my token support pkcs#11 > ...

refer to data on multiple worksheets using hlookup/look up data on many worksheets?
Hi I have data on many worksheets in the same workbook. Is it possible to look up data on multiple worksheets using Hlookup, which means can the second argument in the formula refer to multiple sources? If it is not possible, is there any other way I can do so? I would like to select and display data according to a fixed order, whereby the data is located in one of many worksheets in the same workbook. For eg, I have stock returns of many firms in many worksheets. Say I would like to display in a single worksheet the returns of Firm D, Firm Z, Firm R; whereby the data of these 3 fir...

Figuring out how to use a custom membership provider.
My web application handles membership in different organizations. Based on the means by which a user has reached the login screen, the application has already determined which organization membership should be checked against: Session["organizationId"] = 4; //for example Data on members is stored in a table called Participant CREATE TABLE Participant ( ... organizationId int NOT NULL ... ) I've created a custom membership provider: public class PublicMembershipProvider : SqlMembershipProvider { ... public int Organizat...

Create New Message Using Print Layout
I would like to draft new messages using "print layout" from the view menu. What I would really like to do is make that my default. Is there a way I can make "print layout" the default view when generating new messages? TIA Jerry What version of Outlook/Office and are you using Word as the editor? --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. All unsolicited mail sent to my personal account will be deleted without reading. After furious head scratching, Jerry asked: | I would like to draft new messages using "...

Save spreadsheet using cell values as filename
I am trying to use a command button to save a spreadsheet using cell values as the file name from the tab Master. For example I want to use cells B2 (Tony.Dungate) and F2 (2010.March) to create a file name of Tony.Dungate.2010.March.xls. Essentialy I would need something like : Master!B2&.&Master!G2&".xls" Can someone advise me on the correct code to do this. I have been trying to use the following without success: Const sRoot As String = "V:\Database Logs\" With ActiveWorkbook .SaveAs Filename:=sRoot & _ ....

Is it possible to use a formula in the middle of a sentence in exc
If so, how? Your question would be clearer if you wrote it in the body of the message, added more detail explaining what you were looking to accomplish and provided an example or two that showed what you were trying to do. I'll take a guess that this might be what you are looking for... ="Some text"&<YourFormula>&"and some more text" For example, something like this example maybe (where I'm assuming Column A contains a list of names)... ="There are "&COUNTA(A1:A100)&" people on the list" -- Rick (MVP ...

SDK Using
Hi, I would like to use SDK, but after having download the supplement I do not know how the use; Thanks for your help Best Regards Bernard SDK is nothing about documentation .It contains the help for server side and client side codes .It does contain sample codes too , which can guide you to write plugin /workflow etc etc. ------ Aamir Blog : http://mscrmsupport.wordpress.com/ On 7 ao=FBt, 20:05, Aamir Bashir <whatels...@gmail.com> wrote: > SDK is nothing about documentation .It contains the help for server > side and client side codes .It does contain sample codes too , w...

what causes the recently used file list option to be unavailable .
Tools / Options / Recently used file list is greyed out - How do I correct this ? John You don't say which version so try searching the knowledge base http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx With a search string of MRU Disabled in Excel -- HTH Nick Hodge Microsoft MVP - Excel Southampton, England nick_hodgeTAKETHISOUT@zen.co.uk.ANDTHIS "JohnPrice" <JohnPrice@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:ECA43906-EC33-4B92-8580-39923E449B9C@microsoft.com... > Tools / Options / Recently used file list is greyed out - How do I correct > this ? Hi! So...

Using Queries in Excel
What are the best practices for using database-like queries in Excel. Let's say you wish to join to sheets together och view a subset of columns in a third sheet. I've tried several different methods, but I dont think any of them are completely good. I've used VLookup, Index, MS Query. (MS Query must be the must forgotten MS product in history. It's like a time machine back to Windows 3.11) I've also tried alot of different methods for searching a range, based on more than one criteria, and display the result, either a single value or a sum based on several rows. Here i&#...

Format Chart using excel object model.
Hi, I want to create bar and line charts using excel object model from VB. I able to create charts but problem is formating. I want two things very urgent: 1) How to change the color of bars in bar chart and change the color of line in line chart. 2) How to show data labels. Waiting for your reply. Thanks AQ Hi AQ, Here is some code to give you an idea of the code needed. These examples where modified from code produced using the macro recorder in Excel. Sub RedBars() ActiveChart.SeriesCollection(1).Interior.Color = RGB(255, 0, 0) End Sub Sub RedLine() ActiveChart.SeriesCol...

Free Quantities Using Extended Pricing
Hi, I would like to know if there is a way to enter a promotion using the Extended Pricing as "buy 5 get 1 free", all what I figured that you can build "buy 1 get 1 free" but my customer case is making it in layers each 5 Units with one free. How can I build that? Thanks in advance, ...

Whats the fastest way to retieve data in asp.net using MySql
I know this is not a MySQL forum, but we use ASP.NET and MySQL. My questions is what is the fastest, most efficient way to retrieve data using asp.net using MySQL 5? thanks in advance Are you referring to ODBC/OLE DB connection settings, how to write SQL queries, embedding queries in the asp.net pages, or calling stored procedures? I'm sorry, but your question is just too vague. Perhaps if you explained why you're asking the question and why you're asking it in a SQL Server group. FWIW, generally connecting async and writing stored procedures for ever...

Item Assign to a Site
Hi : I use to assign item to a site. But today while trying to assign any item to a site, it does not. I went through Cards>> Inventory >> Item >> Item Qty and Site go to button >> Selected the site >> Save. But fail. There is no link created between item and site. What could be the reason. I am using Great Plains 8 with service pack 3. I cannot apply service pack 4 because I don't have SQL2005 yet. Thanks Did it just fail silently, or did you receive an error message? -- dlothspe[MSFT]@online.microsoft.com This posting is provided "AS IS"...

Can a variable (date) be used in a SUMIF formula?
I hoping that you can help me. Below you will find an example of a spreadsheet that I'm trying to to perform a sumif formula with dates. In the constant row I use the formula of =SUMIF($B$7:$B$11,">12/12/2002",$C$7:$C$11) and receive the value of 1,695.00. In the variable row I use the formula of =SUMIF($B$7:$B$11,">c3",$C$7:$C$11). I'm trying to acutally use the row of dates instead of having to put in the actual date each time but when I use the field of C3 for the date it returns the value of 0. A B C D ...

Is there any way to reset scroll down menus using a button?
I'm desperately rushing to finish my ICT project for AS level and am really struggling. It's a customer system for a rental shop. I need a button of some sort that could reset my scroll down menus (which is what my customer uses to choose orders) back to their first option. I thought if I found a way to reset my system back to how it was before the customer made any changes I could use a macro to record this. However, I really have no clue what to do and can't find any information using the internet. Please could you help if you can? I'm feeling a bit lost... I would as...

Using tables created in 2003 IN 2007
My office has recently upgraded to 2007. I enjoy new features such as the ability to highlight a few words within the table without the ENTIRE table's font changing; unfortunately, this only works in tables I have created since the upgrade. My old tables that were brought over from 2003 do not have this capability. Is there an add-on out there? I do not have to resort to re-typing and creating all new tables. PS. Copy and pasting into a new table does not work. Convertting the file using the office button does not work. Help? please? I think you talking about what is called...

Email from Outlook using SharePoint
I have been able to sync a SharePoint library to my Outlook account. i can't seem to able to attach more than one SharePoint file to an email. Is this a system limitation or am I miossing something. ...