Automatic Organization Charting

Hello Everyone,

I work with an application that can create an
organization chart of a company's reporting structure.
With Visio 2002 the shapes are drawn then connected
together (using the GlueTo method), but this would only
work when Visio asked if the "Automatic Organization
Charting" should be switched on.   This happens when just
before the chart is drawn.   However Visio 2003 does not
ask this question and the objects are not connected
together.

I can draw connecting lines (using the DrawLine method)
and connect these to the parent and child shapes but they
are not formatted neatly.   The lines are drawn directly
from the bottom of the parent shape to the top of the
child shape.

Has the Automatic Organization Charting feature been
removed in Visio 2003 or is it possible to activate it?

Cheers,

Dunedin

visio 3638 articles. 1 followers. Follow

Dunedin,

I don't fully understand your question, but here's a tip:

When you connect the boxes with your code, don't use DrawLine, drop a "real"
connector on the page, then connect it to the shapes. The OrgChart add-on
will respect the official connector object, and you should get better
results.

The way to get the connector is this:
visio.Application.ConnectorToolDataObject.

So something like:

dim shp as visio.shape
set shp = ActivePage.Drop( visio.Application.ConnectorToolDataObject, 0, 0 )
'...GlueTo parent and child...

--

Hope this helps,

Chris Roth
Visio MVP

"Dunedin" <Dunedin397@HotMail.com> wrote in message
> Hello Everyone,
>
> I work with an application that can create an
> organization chart of a company's reporting structure.
> With Visio 2002 the shapes are drawn then connected
> together (using the GlueTo method), but this would only
> work when Visio asked if the "Automatic Organization
> Charting" should be switched on.   This happens when just
> before the chart is drawn.   However Visio 2003 does not
> ask this question and the objects are not connected
> together.
>
> I can draw connecting lines (using the DrawLine method)
> and connect these to the parent and child shapes but they
> are not formatted neatly.   The lines are drawn directly
> from the bottom of the parent shape to the top of the
> child shape.
>
> Has the Automatic Organization Charting feature been
> removed in Visio 2003 or is it possible to activate it?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Dunedin

0
visioguy8694 (102)
8/23/2004 7:49:31 AM
Hello Chris,

Many thanks for your reply.   What I'm saying is that
Vision 2003 isn't asking the user to activate the
Automatic Organization Charing when creating a chart, but
Visio 2002 does.

The code that connects the parent and child shapes
doesn't require a connector shape, the GlueTo method
appears to take care of that in Visio 2002.

I've tried various ways of connecting the shapes together
in Visio 2003 but I'm not able to replicate the
formatting that Visio 2002 performs.

Cheers,

Dunedin

Hi again,

The feature I'm referring to in Visio 2002 is
the "Organization Chart".   When placing an Organization
Chart shape on the page Visio 2002 asks "Do you want to
enable the automatic Organization Chart behaviour?"

Cheers,

Dunedin

0
anonymous (74722)
8/23/2004 10:29:24 AM
I'm not aware of a change betwen 2002 and 2003 here, but the easiest way to
resolve this problem is to start your drawing from an Org Chart template.
The document is responsible for enabling "Org Chart behavior".

--
Mark Nelson
Microsoft Corporation

> Hi again,
>
> The feature I'm referring to in Visio 2002 is
> the "Organization Chart".   When placing an Organization
> Chart shape on the page Visio 2002 asks "Do you want to
> enable the automatic Organization Chart behaviour?"
>
> Cheers,
>
> Dunedin

0
marknel (439)
8/24/2004 3:16:45 AM
We actually did disable the automatic loading of the Organization Chart
solution in Visio 2003. The reason was that the add-in needed to get loaded
at document startup. Loading it later could cause problems.

Mark is correct that starting the drawing from the Organization Chart
template will correct the problem. Starting from the template will cause the
solution to be loaded and the connection logic will then work correctly.

--
Mike Mueller
Longhorn SDK

"Mark Nelson [MS]" <marknel@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I'm not aware of a change betwen 2002 and 2003 here, but the easiest way
> resolve this problem is to start your drawing from an Org Chart template.
> The document is responsible for enabling "Org Chart behavior".
>
> --
> Mark Nelson
> Microsoft Corporation

> rights.
>
> <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> Hi again,
>>
>> The feature I'm referring to in Visio 2002 is
>> the "Organization Chart".   When placing an Organization
>> Chart shape on the page Visio 2002 asks "Do you want to
>> enable the automatic Organization Chart behaviour?"
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Dunedin

0
mikemull (17)
8/24/2004 4:53:18 PM
Hello there,

Many thanks for all your replies.   I have now managed to
get our drawings working with Visio 2003 by using the
ConnectShapes method and ensuring the correct child and
parent shapes are selected at any one time.   We still
have to use the GlueTo method for Visio 2002 (and
previous versions).

There are a couple of minor niggles when loading a saved
drawing where Visio 2003 asks you to convert the drawing
otherwise the shapes will not function correctly but
converting the drawing removes all the lines!   I expect
we'll have to work on the templates and stencils used.

Thanks again,

Dunedin

Please download Service Pack 1 for Visio 2003.  There were substantial
changes made to the Org Chart conversion code.  You should no longer lose
information when opening a Visio 2002 diagram.

--
Mark Nelson
Microsoft Corporation

> Hello there,
>
> Many thanks for all your replies.   I have now managed to
> get our drawings working with Visio 2003 by using the
> ConnectShapes method and ensuring the correct child and
> parent shapes are selected at any one time.   We still
> have to use the GlueTo method for Visio 2002 (and
> previous versions).
>
> There are a couple of minor niggles when loading a saved
> drawing where Visio 2003 asks you to convert the drawing
> otherwise the shapes will not function correctly but
> converting the drawing removes all the lines!   I expect
> we'll have to work on the templates and stencils used.
>
> Thanks again,
>
> Dunedin

0
marknel (439)

Automatically Configure Outlook Profile
Is there any way to have my network (Server 2003) users Outlook profiles automatically configured when they log on etc.? Yes, using the Custom Installation Wizard or Custom Maintenance Wizard = from the Office Resource Kit.=20 --=20 Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP Author of Microsoft Outlook Programming - Jumpstart for=20 Administrators, Power Users, and Developers http://www.outlookcode.com/jumpstart.aspx "Keith" <@.> wrote in message = news:%23UAyURLUFHA.3644@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl... > Is there any way to have my network (Server 2003) users Outlook = profiles...

population pyramids using bar charts with a secondary axis
I have a problem that I had given up as unsolvable, but after recently learning about secondary axes, I've made encouraging progress. However, I'm stuck on the last step(s), and I'm hoping that someone will have some suggestions. My organization has been producing reports that contain population pyramids. In the past, all of their reports have been printed, so it didn't matter that in order to get the desired look, they had to use two charts slightly overlapping each other. However, we are getting to the point where we would like our charts to be available online for download....

Step Line Charts
Does anyone know how I can create a step line chart without having to have 2 data points per x-axis point. What I want is a horizontal line until the next data point and then I want the line to go vertical. Hi Carrie, You Will need some form of extra data to get excel to create a step chart. Take a look at these methods. (http://www.andypope.info/charts/stepchart.htm) Carrie wrote: > Does anyone know how I can create a step line chart without having to have 2 data points per x-axis point. What I want is a horizontal line until the next data point and then I want the line to go vert...

how can I show repeating values in a chart?
I would like to show modes in the form of a pie chart but am not sure how. For example the number 73 comes up 3 times in a column on my spreadsheet, how can I show that compared to the number 50 which come up 2 times in the sheet? Thanks for the help Hi, You will need to compute those values using formula or a pivot table and then chart the results. Cheers Andy Cindy wrote: > I would like to show modes in the form of a pie chart but am not sure how. > For example the number 73 comes up 3 times in a column on my spreadsheet, how > can I show that compared to the number 50 whi...

more symbols in chart
I need to chart an experiment data for 28 monkeys. I wanted to use a separate symbol for each monkey. I am limited to black and white only, so I can't use multiple colors. I am experimenting on changing white, black for back ground color, fore color, to make a distinct symbol for each monkey. Does any body know how do we get more symbols on the chart? Thanks in advance for any help, sheela Jon Peltier has instructions for Custom series markers: http://www.peltiertech.com/Excel/ChartsHowTo/CustomSeriesFormatting.html sheela wrote: > I need to chart an experiment data for 28 ...

Automatically update Value for data label
Hello I am using Excel 2003 SP2, and have some graphs which have the value (data label) for the last month. Each month new data is entered and the data label has to be deleted for the previous month and the data label for the most recent month added (it still uses the same old data - new data is only entered for the most recent month). Is there any way where the data label can automatically update with the most recent months value (as the chart updates itself automatically currently). Any ideas appreciated. Thank you in advance. Regards, Nav ...

Drop Down List for Chart
I have grouped my series into several groups. How do I display a drop down list including the groups which will dynamically identify which series to plot on the chart? For example: Group A = Series 1, Series 2, Series 3 Group B = Series 4, Series 5 Group C = Series 6 Drop down list includes values: "Group A", "Group B", "Group C" When Group A is selected within the drop down, Series 1, 2 and 3 are plotted on the chart. Do you mean you have to plot data, and have the chart move week to week? if so, easiest way is to use a hlookup/vlookup "savior1&quo...

How do I assign labels to scatter charts
Hi. I'm making an x-y scatter chart but can't assign labels to the individual points. How do I do this? Many thanks in advance for your help. Tom Hi, Here is an explanation of how to link a chart text element to a cell. http://www.andypope.info/tips/tip001.htm But if you have more than a couple of data labels to do you really need to use code. This free addin will do it for you. http://www.appspro.com/Utilities/ChartLabeler.htm Cheers Andy ThomasStudd wrote: > Hi. > > I'm making an x-y scatter chart but can't assign labels to the individual > points. H...

Truncated "y" axis label in chart
:confused: Hi guys I have a problem with Excel, the label on the �Y� axis appears truncated even though I have resized the chart. Then, I looked the file in another computer with the same version of excel than mine as well as in another with a different version and in both look fine. Thus, I erased and re-installed excel in my computer to no avail. I have also re-sized the chart and used it both as object embedded and in separate sheet, it doesn't fix the problem. Any suggestions to fix this problem? -- flakkortin -----------------------------------------------------------------------...

exmerge automatic
Hi, Can anyone help med with an example batch to automate occasional exmerge dumps at night using scheduler. Does anyone have a batch, or command line reference? Are there any .ini file changes required? Thanks, Peter Jensen Use the scheduler service. The exmerge.doc provides more info on the exmerge.ini file options. On Sun, 24 Oct 2004 11:00:21 +0200, "Peter Jensen" <peter.topp@mail.dk> wrote: >Hi, > >Can anyone help med with an example batch to automate occasional exmerge >dumps at night >using scheduler. Does anyone have a batch, or command line ...

3D Pie Chart
Hello all-I have created a 3-D pie chart in Excel and would like some of the pies to be thicker than others...raised higher, thicker, like have the same foundation but the ones I am discussing during the presentation to raise above the others not seperating from the pie. Does that make sense? I am using Excell 2007 but also have access to 2003 and the newest version. If anyone knows how to do this any help woould be so greatly apprecaited. THANKS! Hi, Excel is not designed to do that, maybe a simple alternative would be to explode the segment of the pie you want to emphasize. To e...

Scatter Charts #3
Hi, I am plotting a XY chart. I want that every point should be of different colour. Possibly I can define a range of 2 columns where column 1 contains the name for which the point is plotted and column 2 contains the colour for that point. I have seen this being done in one chart but that person is no longer available for help Please tell me how is it done Thanks Shilps Hi Shilps - Double click on the chart, and on the Options tab, check the Vary Colors by Point box. Now that you know where it's hidden, you'll become the resident expert! - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel...

Reprsent negative values in excel charts
Hi, Can someone help in how to reprsent the negative values in the chart and which is the best chart to represent it? What type of chart are you making? In a line, column, bar, XY, or area chart, the negative values are merely plotted on the other side of an axis. - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Tutorials and Custom Solutions Peltier Technical Services, Inc. - http://PeltierTech.com _______ "uha" <uha@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:166604B5-A331-4EE6-8010-D921C1EEA017@microsoft.com... > Hi, > Can someone help in how to reprsent t...

Unable to manage recurring outlook meeting as organizer
We have a couple of users who experience this problem seemingly randomly. When opening either an instance or the series of a recurring meeting the meeting organizer is presented with the options that a regular attendee gets, there is no way to cancel or update the meeting and send an update to attendees. The organizer field on the meeting still shows the correct name. Clients are all Outlook 2007 SP2, Exchange is 2007 (v 8.1 240.6) I've tried opening the meeting from various clients, even tried in outlook 2003 with no change. Something changes on the server side. ...

Copy sent mail automatically to public folder
I can’t seem to google this information, so I’m asking for help? I know there’s got to be an easy way, I just can’t seem to think of it. I created a public folder on Exchange 2003, and I’m using it to catch all the support emails that come into the system. The public folder is part of a distro list that automatically copies all inbound mail to this folder. I would also like it to catch all the support emails going out as well, where support is in the from line. The support emails go into a sql database and are pulled from it using another software program. The support public fold...

conditional format of data tables in charts
I've created a chart that is based on a data set where the cells have conditional formatting (if value a > value b then colour the cell red) I have the data table displayed with the chart (in chart options, 'show data table' is ticked), but the condtional formatting is not displayed in this table, i.e cells that are red in my original data set are not coloured in the chart table. Is there any way to apply the conditional format on the table displayed within the chart? Cheers Dan. Daniel, Unfortunately you can't apply conditional formating to data tables. However, yo...

Money 2004: Error in Subtotals and Cash Flow Charts
On my Account List screen and in the charts on my Cash Flow screen, the subtotals for my checking, credit card, and investment accounts are shown as ridiculously large numbers (i.e. $268,991,640,696,311.71). When I check each account for beginning balances ($0) and all of the transactions in each account, I can't find anything that would be causing this. (The ending balances at the list of transactions in each account is correctly listed.) My currency is also correctly set to USD. Does anyone know where this huge number might be coming from? Thanks. In microsoft.public.money...

Excel has stopped showing graphs on seperate chart tabs
All chart only worksheets appear as the vacant background (as if no file is open) yet the worksheet tabs are all visible. Charts embedded in a worksheet show OK. This applies to all files created or historic 97-2003 type files. What's causing it and what can I do? ...

Workbook automatically unhiding rows upon opening
We have a shared workbook that our admin staff updates, and our sales staff accesses when on the road. Recently, some of the admin's computers, and all of the sales staff's laptops have begun unhiding all of the rows in this workbook when they open it. For others, the hidden rows stay hidden. I've been tasked with making sure the rows stay hidden upon opening, but I cannot figure out why this is happening. Help? It could be the two groups are actually accessing two different similarly named files.....could be same name in two different directories....problem is common in...

chart "squaring"
I'm trying to "square" a chart... I mean: given 2 points (P1 and P2) with coordinates P1(x1,y1) and P2(x2,y2), I want set the vertical (y) distance between P2 and P1 equal to the horizontal distance between the points (on the monitor, in pixels). I start with a chart, and after drawing the chart (let's say with ..plotarea.width = k) I want resize it to fit my need. From a matematichal point of view, the problem is very simple. What I want is that: (y2-y1) -------- = 1 (x2-x1) So (y2-y1) = (x2-x1). Obviously you have to consider the value in pixel of both y2, y1 and x2,x...

Better display of my pie charts
Is there a way to get a better image of my pie charts? They are really stair stepped and when I put them in my Word Document of my report it looks less than professional. Is there a way to get excel to smooth the curves better? Thanks, Tom On Tue, 27 Nov 2007, in microsoft.public.excel.charting, tshad <tfs@dslextreme.com> said: >Is there a way to get a better image of my pie charts? > >They are really stair stepped and when I put them in my Word Document of my >report it looks less than professional. Is there a way to get excel to >smooth the curves better? So...

Can a chart add data to a table?
Once I have created a chart, is it possible to use functions so that the chart's data is automatically inputted into a table I create? I know this seems to be a little backward, but any assistance/ideas would be much appreciated. Thank you. The chart's data already comes from a worksheet somewhere. Can't you use the original data? - Jon ------- Jon Peltier Peltier Technical Services, Inc. http://peltiertech.com/ A little stuck wrote: > Once I have created a chart, is it possible to use functions so that the > chart's data is automatically inputted into a table...

How do I measure area under a line chart drawn in Excel file?
Can anyone please let me know "How do I measure area under a line chart drawn in Excel file?" See examples on my website using Trapezoid & Simpson's Rule. Bernard www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme/ExcelTips "kp" <kp@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:F3BF4B4B-6030-45E1-B17E-50005FD9FBAB@microsoft.com... > Can anyone please let me know "How do I measure area under a line chart > drawn in Excel file?" I'm not aware of such a feature in the various chart menus, but you can calculate the area directly from the data used for th...

Specify style and color of marker in chart
Hello -- User plans to plot no more than 8 data series, and Wants series marker to be a: - specified style("shape") (chosen from among 8 preferred shapes), and - solid color (chosen from among 8 preferred colors) Shape and color are arbitrarily assigned, depending on the sequence in which the series is plotted. Current code successfully plots the data, but does not assign marker style or color the way we want. Can someone tell me what is wrong with the following code? Function SeriesPlot( _ SeriesNum As Integer, _ SeriesName As String, _ RangeSeries As...

automatic name filling
Hi: With Outlook Express, one only needs to type one letter of the recipient name or alias, and the complete name is shown. Can this be done with Outlook 2002? Thanks, aap Yes. Tools > Options > Email > Options > Advanced Email options > "Suggest names..." You won't see it function until you have sent enough messages to populate your autocompletion cache. -- Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook] <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:016d01c3a62b$b1b660f0$a101280a@phx.gbl... > Hi: > > With Outlook Express, one only needs to type...