writing a service

Hello NG,

I have a server application running in the background. Now I want my
programme to start when rebooting the pc. I don't want the user to log in so
that the programme starts. I use Windows XP or Windows 2000.
I think I must programme my application as a service. Do you know how to
write a service and install it in Windows?

Thanks for help,
Guido

0
guidof73 (128)
5/22/2007 9:47:45 AM
vc.mfc 33608 articles. 0 followers. Follow

THere are numerous good articles in the MSDN on how to write a service.  You should start
there.
				joe
On Tue, 22 May 2007 11:47:45 +0200, "Guido Franzke" <guidof73@yahoo.de> wrote:

>Hello NG,
>
>I have a server application running in the background. Now I want my
>programme to start when rebooting the pc. I don't want the user to log in so
>that the programme starts. I use Windows XP or Windows 2000.
>I think I must programme my application as a service. Do you know how to
>write a service and install it in Windows?
>
>Thanks for help,
>Guido

Joseph M. Newcomer [MVP]
email: newcomer@flounder.com
Web: http://www.flounder.com
newcomer (15975)
5/22/2007 12:15:06 PM
If you are using MFC to do the programming PJ's class may help you get
started:

http://www.codeproject.com/system/cntservice.asp

Tom

"Guido Franzke" <guidof73@yahoo.de> wrote in message
> Hello NG,
>
> I have a server application running in the background. Now I want my
> programme to start when rebooting the pc. I don't want the user to log in
> so
> that the programme starts. I use Windows XP or Windows 2000.
> I think I must programme my application as a service. Do you know how to
> write a service and install it in Windows?
>
> Thanks for help,
> Guido

0
tom.nospam (3240)

How to assure Email service with Exchange server?
Moving from public mail hosting server to own Exchange 2007 server. How to assure 24/7 Email uptime - when it's not economic to keep another spare server? Perhaps to keep old public server as backup? Then is it enough just to keep a public hosting server MX records pointing to our SBS 2008 Exchange server and second record to hosting mail server? How does it's expected to work, when or server is unreachable - are all emails gathered to hosting mailbox and forwarded instantly to Exchange server when our server availability is restored? And during our server downtime, a...

Validate Xml from Serialized Web Service Proxy Class throws on soap Array
Hi, im trying to validate objects before they are sent over the wire to a webservice, the schema embedded into WSDL is not sufficient so i took that schema and extended it with additional restrictions, after conversion from local domain class into remote domain class the remote class (generated from WSDL) is serialized to XML and validated using the schema, this throws "Undefined complexType http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/encoding/:Array is used as restriction of complex type" (translated) How do i add this schema or map the soap array to another type? private void ...

OWA exchange 2003
I need to disable junk email setting in OWA exchange 2003 without single user operation. Anyone know if is possible and how ? Thanks Marco ...

Help for writing an Outlook 2007 macro
Hello .... I was wondering if someone could assist me in writing a macro for Outlook 2007 that would file contacts with previously assigned categories into subfolders that have the same name as those categories. For example, if a contact had a category designation of "Restaurants" the macro would file it in a subfolder called "Restaurants" Also, if a contact did not have any category listed for it, then it would be filed in a folder called "Unfiled" I would also like to be able to assign this script/macro to a one-button and put it in a taskbar...

VB6 service under Server 2008 can't run another VB application
I have a VB6 service that has been running for years on 2000 and 2003. I'm trying get it to work on Server 2008 and it's not working. The service calls shell to run another VB6 .exe program. This .exe program is not being called when the VB6 service program is run as a service. If I run the program as an application, it works like it should. Obviously, something in 2008 needs to be changed to allow this but I don't know what it would be. sr Steve Ricketts brought next idea : > I have a VB6 service that has been running for years on 2000 and 2003. I'm...

MSCRMBulkMailService Service is Stopped
I'm running CRM 3.0 Small Business Edition installed on a SBS 2003 network. My server keeps sending me alerts that states: Alert on 3C-SERVER at 9/9/2006 12:49:40 PM MSCRMBulkMailService Service is Stopped: Critical condition. (WMI Status: 0 ) Any ideas of what's wrong or how to fix Thanks, -Dale check your event logs to see if you get more information ============================== John O'Donnell Microsoft CRM MVP http://www.crowechizek.com/microsoft "Dale Meredith" <DaleMeredith@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:371A7945-3F4F-4A5A-B159...

MONEY 2001 Online Service Problem
When I try to access Tools>Online Service in Money 2001, I get the following errors: "Server name not recognized. OFXIE12007" "Unable to connect to Online Quotes Server" It used to work fine just recently. Can you confirm if MS has changed the Online Service server name to force people to upgrade? ...

Years of Service
I'm trying to create a "database" for our team so that we can then create a mail merge for our certificates for anniversaries with the company. I found a formula that will give me the years of service with some text. =DATEDIF(G10,$C$1,"y") & " years of service " G10 = the start date C1 = today's date This result gives me "2 years of service" which is great for all but 1 year of service. Can anyone help me with an if statement for the instance when it is the first anniversary and I want it to say "1 year of service"...

Wait for file to be done writing
Hi, Application 1 writes HTML files, application 2 sets a hook in the HTML files (it knows their names, that's not a point) using FindFirstChangeNotification. When application 1 opens a HTML file, application 2 is notified of a change, so it will show the empty file (rather than the new, finished file), as application 1 truncates the file for the new writing. So I don't really want to wait for the "first change", I want to wait for the "done writing" notification... if it would exist. Application 1 and 2 are both mine (it's actually the same executable bina...

Service Pack 2
I just installed service pack 2 and my money doesn't work correctly. It keeps wanting to install a Money 2002 Service Pack. That file seems to be corrupted. I can't delete that file or correct it, I thought I would just reinstall the program, but I can't delete the present service pack. Any suggestions?? If you want to delete the service pack, then you have two options. Either use system restore or go to add/remove programs, click on the 'update' box at the top of the window and then remove the service pack. However, I would recommend reinstalling Money first...

Writing xmlns using WriteAttributeString
I am trying to create an XML spreadsheet for use with Excel. I first saved a simple spreadsheet as an XML file, and now I am trying to recreate that file in code, using .NET 2.0. The beginning of the XML file should look like the following: <?xml version="1.0"?> <?mso-application progid="Excel.Sheet"?> <Workbook xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:spreadsheet" xmlns:o="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" xmlns:x="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:excel" xmlns:ss="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:spreadshee...

Healthcare Services
I am looking for a bar coding software to work with Dynamics GP, that allows for staff to use a barcoding device to keep track of services provided to a patient such as giving a bath, or providing dinner to the room, and stores that information in SQL until time to invoice. Please contact me if you need more information or have any information Thanks Joel Hi joel, We have a handheld prototype application which is used record various service offerings, this can be customized & integrated into GP. Please drop a email to discuss. Regards, Manick manick.m@hotmail.com "Joel Ro...

eTech and Manage Assist in Field Service
There are the eTech product and Manage Assist products in Great Plains 8. Do these products continue in Great Plains version 9 and 10? Can you provide more details? Also, I dont see Manage Assist on the price list - does it come included with Service Call Management? Thank you. Hi Jack, Manager Assist has become a discontinued product for the Feild Service Module. There is a new module that was developed by IBIS Inc. Called Enterprise Scheduler that works much better with Great Plains. I beleive that the eTech component of Fieldservice is now part of Business Portal. Thanks Do...

Debt Reduction Planner
I've been trying to get my DRP and budget all working together nicely, but the thing just doesn't seem to work out. I did a search for DRP related info here, and it seems like several people are having weird problems like me. I'm getting the impression that I should just write off the DRP as a as a bad idea gone worse... am I correct? Yes... The DRP has it's own little quirks.. and the budget.. yea right... if you have any problems with your money file, or don't use the program exacly as it's intende.. or deleted bills instead of ending them.. poof.. explode... wh...

Error in creating contact using web service
Hi all, I found an example to create account using web service on http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa613632.aspx I am calling this web service through my desktop application written in VB.Net. I have added the web reference and the code compiles with no error or warnings. But on the last statement which creates a contact in MS CRM Dim contactGuid As Guid = service.Create(contact) it gives me error as "Server is unable to process the request" The server is available and running fine. Can anybody please help me on this issue? Thanks in advance, -Imran use try catch...

Documentation Omission
In the "Web Services Installation and Administration Guide Release 10.0" there is no mention of how to create the web site on the IIS server that should be used for the web services. It goes into great detail on installing the prerequisites such as IIS, SSL, DTC, and setting up the ISO currency code, but on page 26, item #5 it goes right to “specify the web site on the IIS server that should be used for the web services…” with a warning not to install on a site running a SharePoint application such as BusinessPortal. Where is the step on creating the web site, before running...

Delete Services
Hi all, does anybody know why my CRM doesn't allow me to delete services (Settings -> Services)? Thank you in advance, Jevgenij Yes, you can't delete services but you can deactivate. The idea is not lose any related data. Similar to BUs and Users. "Jevgenij Martynenko" wrote: > Hi all, > > does anybody know why my CRM doesn't allow me to delete services > (Settings -> Services)? > > Thank you in advance, > Jevgenij > ...

Messanger Service
Please help. Since upgrading from dial up to DSL service, somehow a setting was changed or soemthing and I am getting frequent Messager Service SPAM pop-ups on my screen. How do I disable this annoying function? Many Thanks. There is a type of spam that has become quite common over the past few months, and unintentionally serves as a valid security "alert." It demonstrates that you haven't been taking sufficient precautions while connected to the Internet. Your data probably hasn't been compromised by these specific advertisements, but if you're open to this ...

Changed service account passwor
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0007_01C6F10D.15890D10 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Hello I've got an old exchange 5.5 server running. I am in process of moving = to Exchange 2003. However I've still got keep this running for while. I had to change the service account password. I followed MS KB 157780 = article and was able to change the password successfully and everything = worked. Ever since I've changed the Exchange service account password, I keep = getting the foll...

Macro writing
I understand the concept of macros, I just don't know how they execute and the possible functions. I would like to import a considerable amount of data from excel into access. The problem I have is that the information I want to import for each record is on two adjacent lines. I need a macro that will move the data contained in just one cell to the end of the row above it and then delete the row that, that information was contained in. Then I need it to repeat that function on every other row. Sounds easy right? Way my luck runs you could do anything you want to do except what I need. Anyo...

GPO and Starting Services
I set up a GPO to set the start of the Automatic Update service to Automatic. As soon as I configure the GPO (in GPEDIT) It prompts for Security and I clicked OK. When applied this caused the security to be set on the target computer such that the service cannot be started. 1) I see now that If I click cancel on the security prompt the setting remains "not configured". Is this the correct way to change a service startup without changing the security settings. 2) How do you "unconfigure" the security in the GPO once it is set to configured. I see no way to do thi...

Forum Posting or Signature Posting Services
The service of Forum Posting, also known as Signature Posting is offered by our company, The Consultant SEO. It is basically a way by which one can get good quality =93one way=94 links in an effective and efficient manner. This very service, along with a back link linked with your website=92s signature is undertaken by our company. It is done to bring more and more traffic to our client=92s website. Alongside, another vital part is that our client=92s customers are not able to read the messages posted by our client. We also create various themes for our customer=92s links by providing ...

service pak 2 for office xp
I don't understand what I need to do to download a service pak from the internet. http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/results.aspx?productID=3A4E9862-CDCE-4BDC -8664-91038E3EB1E9&freetext=xp&DisplayLang=en watch wrapping.. "ivan" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:051901c3bd13$28233490$a001280a@phx.gbl... > I don't understand what I need to do to download a > service pak from the internet. Ivan, If you go here http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/en/default.asp, it checks what you are missing, lists them, and allows indivi...

exchange email scanning service
I have been getting the following attachments on some users systems: REMOVED_BY_THE_EXCHANGE_EMAIL_SCANNING_SERVICE_5CAE6CF4_4D03_48A0.txt I know this is a built in exchange virus protection feature, however I would like to tweak it or at least look at the settings. How do I go about doing this? It is an Exchange 2003 server. On Mon, 20 Sep 2004 12:15:29 -0700, Jason Gallas <nospam@usenetserver.com> wrote: >I have been getting the following attachments on some users systems: >REMOVED_BY_THE_EXCHANGE_EMAIL_SCANNING_SERVICE_5CAE6CF4_4D03_48A0.txt > >I know this is a built...

Removal of "Online services powered by MSN" logo?
How can I remove the logo, "Online services powered by MSN" from my Money2004 home page? I am sick of the butterfly! Teffy This is an ad we are forced to live with. That's what we are put on this planet for: to be advertised to. >-----Original Message----- >How can I remove the logo, "Online services powered by MSN" from my >Money2004 home page? I am sick of the butterfly! In microsoft.public.money, Teffy wrote: >How can I remove the logo, "Online services powered by MSN" from my >Money2004 home page? I am sick of the butterfly! Why n...