Windows XP x64 MFC application problem

I can't start my application on Windows XP Prof. 64-bit wersion, there is
messagebox "Failed to create empty document". Application works fine on
Windows 2000 SP4 and Windows XP Prof. SP2. What can I do to solove this
probem?
0
Klina (21)
2/8/2006 11:00:14 AM
vc.mfc 33608 articles. 0 followers. Follow

>I can't start my application on Windows XP Prof. 64-bit wersion, there is
>messagebox "Failed to create empty document". Application works fine on
>Windows 2000 SP4 and Windows XP Prof. SP2. What can I do to solove this
>probem?

The obvious response is - try debugging it on that platform and find
where it's giving rise to that problem. Have you done that?

Dave
0
davidl7375 (2060)
2/9/2006 12:15:04 AM
"Failed to create empty document" means one of the creations of the
document, the frame, or the view failed. See the debug output window for
more details.

--
Regards
Sheng Jiang

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional in Visual C++
http://blog.joycode.com/jiangsheng/

"Klina" <Klina@nospam.nospam> д���ʼ�
> I can't start my application on Windows XP Prof. 64-bit wersion, there is
> messagebox "Failed to create empty document". Application works fine on
> Windows 2000 SP4 and Windows XP Prof. SP2. What can I do to solove this
> probem?

0
sheng_jiang (305)
2/9/2006 6:33:04 AM
Thanks for reply.
Please look for my answer for David Lowndes.

"jiangsheng[MVP]" wrote:

> "Failed to create empty document" means one of the creations of the
> document, the frame, or the view failed. See the debug output window for
> more details.
>
> --
> Regards
> Sheng Jiang
>
> Microsoft Most Valuable Professional in Visual C++
> http://blog.joycode.com/jiangsheng/

0
Klina (21)
2/9/2006 10:01:27 AM
The problem is that the machine with Win XP x64 is my client computer, and I
can't install on this computer Visual Studio. But in my office I "prepared"
the same platform and found the problem . Windows XP 64bit is in English
version, so application uses English String Table, and other computers (used
for testing) have operating systems in my national version, so uses other
String Table. This String Tables had differences, and when I tryed create my
own status bar (with indicators defined in my natinal String Table), there
was a problem. So I correct English String Table and it is OK.

But there is new problem :).
AfxGetMainWnd() can't rerieve a pointer to main window.  At this moment I'm
checking what is going on. On Windows 2000 there was OK...

"David Lowndes" wrote:
> The obvious response is - try debugging it on that platform and find
> where it's giving rise to that problem. Have you done that?
>
> Dave

0
Klina (21)
2/9/2006 10:01:27 AM
I checked and:
AfxGetMainWnd() return NULL only when it is called from OnNewDocument(). My
app is SDI and some guys says that I should do initialisation in my
OnInitialUpdate, but the strange thing is that when I debug my app on Windows
2000 SP4 with Visual C++ Prof 6.0 everything is OK. And when I debug on
Windows XP Prof x64 SP1 with Visual Stuio Professional 2005 it is going crash.

P.S. Another change in the compiler is:
"for(int i=0;....)
{}
for(i=0;...)
{}"-this c0de for VS 6.0 is OK , but not for 2005

"for(int i=0;....)
{}
for(int i=0;...)
{}"-this c0de for VS 2005 is OK , but not for 6.0 !

0
Klina (21)
2/9/2006 11:13:28 AM
>I checked and:
>AfxGetMainWnd() return NULL only when it is called from OnNewDocument().

Unless your application is an OLE server (is it?) AfxGetMainWnd is
trivial, there's no obvious reason it should return NULL unless the
underlying window hasn't been created. I've no idea why this should
occur unless you're relying on undocumented behaviour somehow.

If you create a new default application with VC6 and re-build it with
VC2005, does that exhibit the problem?

>... but the strange thing is that when I debug my app on Windows
>2000 SP4 with Visual C++ Prof 6.0 everything is OK. And when I debug on
>Windows XP Prof x64 SP1 with Visual Stuio Professional 2005 it is going crash.

What happens if you build/debug it with VS2005 on W2K SP4?

>P.S. Another change in the compiler is:
>"for(int i=0;....)
>{}
>for(i=0;...)
>{}"-this c0de for VS 6.0 is OK , but not for 2005

VC2005 is conforming to the standard which limits the scope of
variables declared inside for loops.

Dave
0
davidl7375 (2060)
2/9/2006 11:09:12 PM

> Unless your application is an OLE server (is it?) AfxGetMainWnd is
> trivial, there's no obvious reason it should return NULL unless the
> underlying window hasn't been created. I've no idea why this should
> occur unless you're relying on undocumented behaviour somehow.

It is not OLE Server. It is MFC App (made by MFC AppWizard exe).

> If you create a new default application with VC6 and re-build it with
> VC2005, does that exhibit the problem?
>
> >... but the strange thing is that when I debug my app on Windows
> >2000 SP4 with Visual C++ Prof 6.0 everything is OK. And when I debug on
> >Windows XP Prof x64 SP1 with Visual Stuio Professional 2005 it is going crash.
>
> What happens if you build/debug it with VS2005 on W2K SP4?

I checked and it crashes with VS2005 on W2K SP4.

> >P.S. Another change in the compiler is:
> >"for(int i=0;....)
> >{}
> >for(i=0;...)
> >{}"-this c0de for VS 6.0 is OK , but not for 2005
>
> VC2005 is conforming to the standard which limits the scope of
> variables declared inside for loops.

So, in my opinon the best way is to write something like this:
"int i;
for(i=0; ....)
{}
//i is still in the scope
for(i=0;...)
{}"
-this code wil work on both VS6.0 and VS2005.

Adam
0
Klina (21)
2/10/2006 7:55:02 AM
>> What happens if you build/debug it with VS2005 on W2K SP4?
>
>I checked and it crashes with VS2005 on W2K SP4.

It sounds like you've got something missing in your VS2005 build.
You'll have to debug it and find precisely why it's failing.

>> VC2005 is conforming to the standard which limits the scope of
>> variables declared inside for loops.
>
>So, in my opinon the best way is to write something like this:
>"int i;
>for(i=0; ....)
>{}
>//i is still in the scope
>for(i=0;...)
>{}"
>-this code wil work on both VS6.0 and VS2005.

If you need to have the code work for both compilers, yes, that would
work.

Dave
0
davidl7375 (2060)
2/10/2006 8:31:53 AM

"David Lowndes" wrote:

> >> What happens if you build/debug it with VS2005 on W2K SP4?
> >
> >I checked and it crashes with VS2005 on W2K SP4.
>
> It sounds like you've got something missing in your VS2005 build.
> You'll have to debug it and find precisely why it's failing.

I mean it crashes when I try to call AfxGetMainWnd() from OnNewDocument() -
if I use VS2005, and it doesn't crash when I use VS6.0 (on the same system
W2K SP4-the same machine). For now I moved call AfxGetMainWnd() to
OnInitialUpdate() of MY View (class derived from CView), and it works for
both VS2005 and VS6.0.
0
Klina (21)
2/10/2006 11:11:27 AM
>I mean it crashes when I try to call AfxGetMainWnd() from OnNewDocument() -
>if I use VS2005, and it doesn't crash when I use VS6.0 (on the same system
>W2K SP4-the same machine). For now I moved call AfxGetMainWnd() to
>OnInitialUpdate() of MY View (class derived from CView), and it works for
>both VS2005 and VS6.0.

OK.

It would have been useful to know if you could reproduce the issue
with a new VC6 application rebuilt with VC2005.

If you could, then it'd be something that would affect lots of people,
otherwise it's a quirk of your program - but still something that
others may fall into that it would be good to identify the root cause
of.

Dave
0
davidl7375 (2060)
2/10/2006 3:59:40 PM
I checked and new MFC Application build on VS6.0 and VS2005 for code like this:
"BOOL CSomeApplicationDoc::OnNewDocument()
{
	if (!CDocument::OnNewDocument())
		return FALSE;

	// TODO: add reinitialization code here
	// (SDI documents will reuse this document)

	CWnd* pWnd=AfxGetMainWnd();
	if(pWnd)
		AfxMessageBox("Works");
	else
		AfxMessageBox("Null pointer");

	return TRUE;
}"
-always show "Null pointer". So I think you have right that this is a quirk
of my program, because the same code like above for my app. shows "Works".
Maybe it is connect with this what I do in CMainFrame::OnCreate(...), I start
there another thread (UI thread), but for a moment I am very busy man, so I
try to check it later.

"David Lowndes" wrote:

> OK.
>
> It would have been useful to know if you could reproduce the issue
> with a new VC6 application rebuilt with VC2005.
>
> If you could, then it'd be something that would affect lots of people,
> otherwise it's a quirk of your program - but still something that
> others may fall into that it would be good to identify the root cause
> of.
>
> Dave

0
Klina (21)
2/13/2006 8:51:28 AM
Hi Klina,
Thanks for your feedback! :)

Please let's know the results at your earliest convenience after you check
it later. If you have any questions or concerns, please let's know. We will
stand by to help you. Thanks for your understanding. Have a nice day!

Best Regards,

Terry Fei [MSFT]
Microsoft Community Support
Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security

--------------------
>From: "=?Utf-8?B?S2xpbmE=?=" <Klina@nospam.nospam>
>Subject: Re: Windows XP x64 MFC application problem
>Date: Mon, 13 Feb 2006 00:51:28 -0800
>Newsgroups: microsoft.public.vc.mfc
>
>I checked and new MFC Application build on VS6.0 and VS2005 for code like
this:
>"BOOL CSomeApplicationDoc::OnNewDocument()
>{
>	if (!CDocument::OnNewDocument())
>		return FALSE;
>
>	// TODO: add reinitialization code here
>	// (SDI documents will reuse this document)
>
>	CWnd* pWnd=AfxGetMainWnd();
>	if(pWnd)
>		AfxMessageBox("Works");
>	else
>		AfxMessageBox("Null pointer");
>
>	return TRUE;
>}"
>-always show "Null pointer". So I think you have right that this is a
quirk
>of my program, because the same code like above for my app. shows "Works".
>Maybe it is connect with this what I do in CMainFrame::OnCreate(...), I
start
>there another thread (UI thread), but for a moment I am very busy man, so
>try to check it later.
>
>"David Lowndes" wrote:
>
>> OK.
>>
>> It would have been useful to know if you could reproduce the issue
>> with a new VC6 application rebuilt with VC2005.
>>
>> If you could, then it'd be something that would affect lots of people,
>> otherwise it's a quirk of your program - but still something that
>> others may fall into that it would be good to identify the root cause
>> of.
>>
>> Dave

0
v-terryf (64)
2/14/2006 1:49:07 AM
Like I was suspect problem is connect with this what I do in my
CMainFrame::OnCreate(...). I was thinking that another UI thread (which can
be started from  CMainFrame::OnCreate) is the reason, but it isn't. I just
add in CMainFrame::OnCreate(...) a code like this (another thread no exist,
it is new app made by app wizard, only in Doc::OnNewDocument there are
MessageBox'es like before - look below in my old post):
"//************************************additional Dialaog BAR
	if (!m_wndMainDlgBar.Create(this, IDD_MAIN_DLG_BAR, CBRS_LEFT,
		AFX_IDW_CONTROLBAR_LAST -1))
	{
		TRACE0("Failed to create panel bar\n");
		return -1;
	}
	//***************"
This code causes that program bulid with VS6.0 shows "Works" and the same
program buld with VS2005 shows "Null Pointer".

> >I checked and new MFC Application build on VS6.0 and VS2005 for code like
> this:
> >"BOOL CSomeApplicationDoc::OnNewDocument()
> >{
> >	if (!CDocument::OnNewDocument())
> >		return FALSE;
> >
> >	// TODO: add reinitialization code here
> >	// (SDI documents will reuse this document)
> >
> >	CWnd* pWnd=AfxGetMainWnd();
> >	if(pWnd)
> >		AfxMessageBox("Works");
> >	else
> >		AfxMessageBox("Null pointer");
> >
> >	return TRUE;
> >}"
> >-always show "Null pointer". So I think you have right that this is a
> quirk
> >of my program, because the same code like above for my app. shows "Works".
> >Maybe it is connect with this what I do in CMainFrame::OnCreate(...), I
> start
> >there another thread (UI thread), but for a moment I am very busy man, so
> >try to check it later.

0
Klina (21)
2/14/2006 8:13:32 AM
Hi Klina,
Thanks for your response! :)

Based on the current situation, we hope your can provide us a simplified
project to repro this issue. So we can debug this problem on our side. You
just only provide us a VC6.0 version and we'll update it using VS2005 to
reflect this problem.
Thanks for your understanding!

Best Regards,

Terry Fei [MSFT]
Microsoft Community Support
Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security

--------------------
>From: "=?Utf-8?B?S2xpbmE=?=" <Klina@nospam.nospam>
>Subject: Re: Windows XP x64 MFC application problem
>Date: Tue, 14 Feb 2006 00:13:32 -0800
>Newsgroups: microsoft.public.vc.mfc
>
>Like I was suspect problem is connect with this what I do in my
>CMainFrame::OnCreate(...). I was thinking that another UI thread (which
can
>be started from  CMainFrame::OnCreate) is the reason, but it isn't. I just
>add in CMainFrame::OnCreate(...) a code like this (another thread no
exist,
>it is new app made by app wizard, only in Doc::OnNewDocument there are
>MessageBox'es like before - look below in my old post):
>"//************************************additional Dialaog BAR
>	if (!m_wndMainDlgBar.Create(this, IDD_MAIN_DLG_BAR, CBRS_LEFT,
>		AFX_IDW_CONTROLBAR_LAST -1))
>	{
>		TRACE0("Failed to create panel bar\n");
>		return -1;
>	}
>	//***************"
>This code causes that program bulid with VS6.0 shows "Works" and the same
>program buld with VS2005 shows "Null Pointer".
>

>> >I checked and new MFC Application build on VS6.0 and VS2005 for code
like
>> this:
>> >"BOOL CSomeApplicationDoc::OnNewDocument()
>> >{
>> >	if (!CDocument::OnNewDocument())
>> >		return FALSE;
>> >
>> >	// TODO: add reinitialization code here
>> >	// (SDI documents will reuse this document)
>> >
>> >	CWnd* pWnd=AfxGetMainWnd();
>> >	if(pWnd)
>> >		AfxMessageBox("Works");
>> >	else
>> >		AfxMessageBox("Null pointer");
>> >
>> >	return TRUE;
>> >}"
>> >-always show "Null pointer". So I think you have right that this is a
>> quirk
>> >of my program, because the same code like above for my app. shows
"Works".
>> >Maybe it is connect with this what I do in CMainFrame::OnCreate(...), I
>> start
>> >there another thread (UI thread), but for a moment I am very busy man,
so
>> >try to check it later.

0
v-terryf (64)
2/15/2006 1:41:29 AM
I can send this project by email, can you write email address, or there is
another way?

""TerryFei"" wrote:

> Hi Klina,
> Thanks for your response! :)
>
> Based on the current situation, we hope your can provide us a simplified
> project to repro this issue. So we can debug this problem on our side. You
> just only provide us a VC6.0 version and we'll update it using VS2005 to
> reflect this problem.
> Thanks for your understanding!
>
> Best Regards,
>
> Terry Fei [MSFT]
> Microsoft Community Support
> Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
>
> --------------------

0
Klina (21)
2/15/2006 1:51:11 PM
Hi Klina,
Thanks for your update! :)

My email is: v-terryf@microsoft.com
I hope you can write a simplified project in order to reduce complexity
when debugging it for me. Thanks for your understanding!

<256F7B66-6E4A-4395-9416-9DBAF9AFC300@microsoft.com>
<#b4g6DdMGHA.608@TK2MSFTNGXA01.phx.gbl>
>Subject: Re: Windows XP x64 MFC application problem
>Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2006 05:51:11 -0800
>Newsgroups: microsoft.public.vc.mfc
>
>I can send this project by email, can you write email address, or there is
>another way?
>
>""TerryFei"" wrote:
>
>> Hi Klina,
>> Thanks for your response! :)
>>
>> Based on the current situation, we hope your can provide us a simplified
>> project to repro this issue. So we can debug this problem on our side.
You
>> just only provide us a VC6.0 version and we'll update it using VS2005 to
>> reflect this problem.
>> Thanks for your understanding!
>>
>> Best Regards,
>>
>> Terry Fei [MSFT]
>> Microsoft Community Support
>> Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
>>
>> --------------------

0
v-terryf (64)

Problems with creating a newsletter

CSV File Problem

help need with VC 6.0 IDE and mfc

Customize Current View: Filter Problem

Month problem

Window Redirection?

Rounding Problem

Access 2007 and Vista code problem

Offline folder problems #2

Windows Server 2008 R2 04-09-10

OLK 2k7

outlook 2k2 problem

Outlook 2003 with XP SP2

Mother of a sumproduct (ish) problem!

Hyperlink problem #3

CRM 3.0 Login Problems

Spam is a big big problem
Spam is a big big problem ...

setpassword and xp styles?
Hello I have added manifest file and enabled xp styles in my application. Now, i have EDIT1 mapped to m_edt1 that have a password style. When the application runs, the password character shows as a nice graphical black dot. Now if i call: m_edt1.SetPasswordChar(0) in order to remove the password char. Then if I call setpasswordchar('*') the black dot char never returns... Any ideas how to swap between non password field to password field (with that nice black dot character) ? -- Elias "lallous" <lallous@lgwm.org> wrote in message news:OoraL8o9FHA.3592@TK2M...

MFC project with my classes
I have got a project that uses MFC. I want to expand the functionality of the project by adding a few of my own classes to it. But I don't know where should I create objects of my new classes so that I can access them, I know the WinMain function resides in CWinApp class and my project has a class inherited from the CWinApp class, but where should I define my own objects I can't figure it our. Can anybody help? Adrian wrote: > I have got a project that uses MFC. I want to expand the functionality > of the project by adding a few of my own classes to it. But I don't > kno...