Will MFC continue updating Windows API?

I´m a little unsure how to word this, but basically I need to know whether
MFC will keep updating/coding Windows API.  I don´t know whether they have
stopped because they want everyone to go to .NET but I am curious to know if
otherwise?

Thank you in advance
Col
vc.mfc 33608 articles. 0 followers. Follow

MFC support some APIs, but it does not prevent you from using the APIs
directly. Many people do not use MFC socket classes at all.

"achtungcol" <achtungcol@discussions.microsoft.com> д����Ϣ����:67282881-59B0-4118-A700-6C7072514F55@microsoft.com...
> I��m a little unsure how to word this, but basically I need to know
> whether
> MFC will keep updating/coding Windows API.  I don��t know whether they
> have
> stopped because they want everyone to go to .NET but I am curious to know
> if
> otherwise?
>
> Thank you in advance
> Col

0
sheng_jiang (305)
3/1/2005 4:21:08 PM
What does this question mean? The Windows API is the Windows API; MFC is a wrapper around
some aspects of that API. So MFC doesn't "update/coding the Windows API" because the
concept does not exist. MFC is not involved in the design of the Windows API.

What aspect of the MFC interface concerns you?
				joe
On Tue, 1 Mar 2005 07:29:02 -0800, "achtungcol" <achtungcol@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:

>I�m a little unsure how to word this, but basically I need to know whether
>MFC will keep updating/coding Windows API.  I don�t know whether they have
>stopped because they want everyone to go to .NET but I am curious to know if
>otherwise?
>
>Thank you in advance
>Col

Joseph M. Newcomer [MVP]
email: newcomer@flounder.com
Web: http://www.flounder.com
newcomer (15975)
> What does this question mean? The Windows API is the Windows API; MFC is a
> wrapper around
> some aspects of that API. So MFC doesn't "update/coding the Windows API"
> because the
> concept does not exist. MFC is not involved in the design of the Windows
> API.
>
> What aspect of the MFC interface concerns you?

I think.. what he is asking is if MFC wraps API functions and the API
functions are changing... At least that's how I understand it.. Being a
relavive MFC newbie...

0
gospam (47)
3/1/2005 7:31:17 PM
MFC is written on top of Win32. It does not wrap everything that Win32
offers and is much richer than Win32. You can continue to use Win32 in a MFC
app. You can actually use .Net framework in a MFC app as well.

--
Ajay Kalra [MVP - VC++]
ajaykalra@yahoo.com

"achtungcol" <achtungcol@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I�m a little unsure how to word this, but basically I need to know whether
> MFC will keep updating/coding Windows API.  I don�t know whether they have
> stopped because they want everyone to go to .NET but I am curious to know
if
> otherwise?
>
> Thank you in advance
> Col

0
ajaykalra (6842)
3/2/2005 12:04:49 AM
"nap" <gospam@yourself.com> wrote in message news:9q3Vd.10433>
> I think.. what he is asking is if MFC wraps API functions and the API
> functions are changing... At least that's how I understand it.. Being a
> relavive MFC newbie...

    Actually it sounds more like achtungcol is asking about versions.  You
know how there are increasing versions of MFC (currently at v.7)?
achtungcol was asking if they will be releasing version 8, 9, and so on or
if 7 will be the last and they will instead focus on .NET�I believe that's
up to 1.1 right now.

--
Alec S.
alec <@> synetech <.> cjb <.> net

0
Alec
3/2/2005 2:33:12 AM
IIRC, MFC is going to have its version changed with each release of VS.Net.

--
Ajay Kalra [MVP - VC++]
ajaykalra@yahoo.com

"Alec S." <a@a.com> wrote in message
> "nap" <gospam@yourself.com> wrote in message news:9q3Vd.10433>
> "Joseph M. Newcomer" <newcomer@flounder.com> wrote in message
> > I think.. what he is asking is if MFC wraps API functions and the API
> > functions are changing... At least that's how I understand it.. Being a
> > relavive MFC newbie...
>

>     Actually it sounds more like achtungcol is asking about versions.  You
> know how there are increasing versions of MFC (currently at v.7)?
> achtungcol was asking if they will be releasing version 8, 9, and so on or
> if 7 will be the last and they will instead focus on .NET�I believe that's
> up to 1.1 right now.
>

> --
> Alec S.
> alec <@> synetech <.> cjb <.> net

0
ajaykalra (6842)
3/2/2005 2:42:34 AM
"Alec S." <a@a.com> wrote in message
> "nap" <gospam@yourself.com> wrote in message news:9q3Vd.10433>
> "Joseph M. Newcomer" <newcomer@flounder.com> wrote in message
>> I think.. what he is asking is if MFC wraps API functions and the API
>> functions are changing... At least that's how I understand it.. Being a
>> relavive MFC newbie...
>

>    Actually it sounds more like achtungcol is asking about versions.  You
> know how there are increasing versions of MFC (currently at v.7)?
> achtungcol was asking if they will be releasing version 8, 9, and so on or
> if 7 will be the last and they will instead focus on .NET-I believe that's
> up to 1.1 right now.

yes, Alec. I am still using VC6. How do I tell which version of MFC I am
using? Is it the name of the DLL? And is there a point at which I can no
longer use MFC versions with VC6?

Thanks !

> --
> Alec S.
> alec <@> synetech <.> cjb <.> net

0
gospam (47)
3/2/2005 6:33:43 PM
>How do I tell which version of MFC I am using?

Use Depends.exe tool to figure out the dependency that your app was
compiled with. If you are using VC6, you will find files like
MFC42?.dll in it.

> And is there a point at which I can no longer use MFC versions with
VC6?

Think of each version of MFC as a different module. You have to ship
the correct version with your product.

--------
Ajay Kalra
ajaykalra@yahoo.com

0
ajaykalra (6842)
3/2/2005 7:11:51 PM
If you are using VS6, then you are using MFC42.DLL, which is a name assigned to Visual
Studio 4.2. Since all versions have been backward compatible, Microsoft kept the same
name.

The question "is there a point at which I can no longer use MFC versions with VC6" makes
no sense. As long as you have VS6, you can use MFC. The MFC DLL that comes with it is
frozen, and will remain functional. Most of my clients absolutely refuse under any
circumstances to move to VS7, because it is such an incredibly crappy IDE, virtually
unusable. People who have never seen VS6 can see that VS7 sucks.  So nearly all of my
product work is done in VS6, and will be into the forseeable future (even though I'm
developing a VS7 course!)

The version of MFC is also frozen. I have one client that has to use VS7 because they need
some VS7 MFC features (and they HATE the IDE!) and one client needs VS7 because it is the
first version that supports STL, which for compatibility they require. Other than that, my
clients are avoiding it.

Note that you can continue to use MFC as long as you want. If you compile under VS6, you
are limited to the features of MFC supported by VS6.
				joe

On Wed, 02 Mar 2005 18:33:43 GMT, "nap" <gospam@yourself.com> wrote:

>"Alec S." <a@a.com> wrote in message
>> "nap" <gospam@yourself.com> wrote in message news:9q3Vd.10433>
>> "Joseph M. Newcomer" <newcomer@flounder.com> wrote in message
>>> I think.. what he is asking is if MFC wraps API functions and the API
>>> functions are changing... At least that's how I understand it.. Being a
>>> relavive MFC newbie...
>>

>>    Actually it sounds more like achtungcol is asking about versions.  You
>> know how there are increasing versions of MFC (currently at v.7)?
>> achtungcol was asking if they will be releasing version 8, 9, and so on or
>> if 7 will be the last and they will instead focus on .NET-I believe that's
>> up to 1.1 right now.
>>

>yes, Alec. I am still using VC6. How do I tell which version of MFC I am
>using? Is it the name of the DLL? And is there a point at which I can no
>longer use MFC versions with VC6?
>
>Thanks !
>

>> --
>> Alec S.
>> alec <@> synetech <.> cjb <.> net

Joseph M. Newcomer [MVP]
email: newcomer@flounder.com
Web: http://www.flounder.com
newcomer (15975)
3/2/2005 9:31:59 PM

"Alec S." wrote:

> "nap" <gospam@yourself.com> wrote in message news:9q3Vd.10433>
> "Joseph M. Newcomer" <newcomer@flounder.com> wrote in message
> > I think.. what he is asking is if MFC wraps API functions and the API
> > functions are changing... At least that's how I understand it.. Being a
> > relavive MFC newbie...
>

>     Actually it sounds more like achtungcol is asking about versions.  You
> know how there are increasing versions of MFC (currently at v.7)?
> achtungcol was asking if they will be releasing version 8, 9, and so on or
> if 7 will be the last and they will instead focus on .NET—I believe that's
> up to 1.1 right now.
>

> --
> Alec S.
> alec <@> synetech <.> cjb <.> net
>
> Yeah you hit the nail on the head there thanks Alec
   so regarding the API will it still rely on MFC to wrap it or will
Microsoft start using .NET?  I need to know because my project envolves me
using MFC to access the API functions - to basically create an XP style
button - kind of like Qt did you know?

> so regarding the API will it still rely on MFC to wrap it or will
> Microsoft start using .NET?

What does this mean. MFC is going to be released with a different
version in VS2005. You will be able to use Win32 API and .Net(as you
can now) with the new version as well.

> I need to know because my project envolves me
> using MFC to access the API functions - to basically create an XP
style
> button

This has no bearing into MFC versioning. If it was working before using
MFC, it will continue to work in the newer vesion.

-------
Ajay Kalra
ajaykalra@yahoo.com

0
ajaykalra (6842)
3/3/2005 2:28:02 PM
You seem to think that .NET support and Win32 API support are somehow related. They're all
just system calls.  I don't even understand what could be meant by the phrase "will
Microsoft start using .NET". Microsoft is ALREADY using .NET.

I find it hard to imagine a project that uses MFC solely for the purpose of creating a
button. I even find it hard to imagine why creating "an XP style button" requires any
effort whatsoever, XP seems to do quite well in accomplishing this, and can do it in any
language, including C# and VB, because the button appearance is based on the OS, not on
MFC. If you were going to create a button, and that is the only thing you need to do, ATL
would be a better choice anyway. Since you have given no context for this statement to be
interpreted in, it is hard to figure out what you mean by it.
					joe

On Thu, 3 Mar 2005 00:13:03 -0800, "achtungcol" <achtungcol@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:

>"Alec S." wrote:
>
>> "nap" <gospam@yourself.com> wrote in message news:9q3Vd.10433>
>> "Joseph M. Newcomer" <newcomer@flounder.com> wrote in message
>> > I think.. what he is asking is if MFC wraps API functions and the API
>> > functions are changing... At least that's how I understand it.. Being a
>> > relavive MFC newbie...
>>

>>     Actually it sounds more like achtungcol is asking about versions.  You
>> know how there are increasing versions of MFC (currently at v.7)?
>> achtungcol was asking if they will be releasing version 8, 9, and so on or
>> if 7 will be the last and they will instead focus on .NET�I believe that's
>> up to 1.1 right now.
>>

>> --
>> Alec S.
>> alec <@> synetech <.> cjb <.> net
>>
>> Yeah you hit the nail on the head there thanks Alec
>   so regarding the API will it still rely on MFC to wrap it or will
>Microsoft start using .NET?  I need to know because my project envolves me
>using MFC to access the API functions - to basically create an XP style
>button - kind of like Qt did you know?

Joseph M. Newcomer [MVP]
email: newcomer@flounder.com
Web: http://www.flounder.com
newcomer (15975)
3/3/2005 4:20:05 PM
>  so regarding the API will it still rely on MFC to wrap it or will
> Microsoft start using .NET?  I need to know because my project envolves me
> using MFC to access the API functions - to basically create an XP style
> button - kind of like Qt did you know?

What people use is almost becoming a matter of religion, but we recently
made the decision to stay with MFC for native Windows end user applications
and are starting to use .NET for web based things and stuff we'll use
internally.  I expect that managed code will continue to be pushed by
Microsoft and others and it is, indeed, a good idea because of code
security, but I'm glad that Microsoft allows us to use either in the same
IDE and even in the same projects.  Our goal is to migrate more in the new
direction as the .NET stuff is more proved out and available.  For now, I
don't think the investment in MFC is a waste of time by any means.

I usually create applications to use the controls Windows gives them (based
on version), but you can get libraries for a reasonable price to force the
buttons, tabs, toolbars, etc. to look like any version of Windows, Office,
etc.

www.dundas.com
www.codejock.com
www.bcgsoft.com
www.codeguru.com

to name a few.

Tom

0
tserface (3861)
3/3/2005 10:20:09 PM
On Thu, 3 Mar 2005 14:20:09 -0800, "Tom Serface" <tserface@msn.com> wrote:

>it is, indeed, a good idea because of code
>security

Which would be nice if Microsoft didn't step in a screw everything up again. For example,
at one MS conference, they presented a product I probably am not allowed to discuss, and
said "And to use this, you have to run with full capabilities" or some such phrase. I
asked for an explanation. What they meant was that this product, which downloads over the
Internet from a Web page, will not run unless you defeat all .NET security for it. I
explained that this was one of the most remarkably stupid designs I'd heard of in a long
time, particularly because there was no reason it needed unlimited access to my machine,
most  particularly because for a signfiicant subset of its capabilities, it did not need
to interact with my machine, except the display, at all! But NO capability would work if
ANY access was denied. Another prime example of application programmers, through sheer
laziness, defeating any attempt at security, once again. The CORRECT design would have
been to allow it to run, and if it tried to do something for which access was denied, then
report that whatever that was could not be done. But no, that sounds like INTELLIGENT
security design, and this group was like many application groups in far too many
companies: security is something that gets in the way of application writers, and the way
to avoid having to write robust code that can handle security blocks is not to write good
code that deals with security issues, but to demand that the user defeat all security.
Otherwise, the programmers may not be able to make their ship date because of all the
extra effort and testing required. Oh dearie me. (Yes, they actually told me that dealing
with security took too much effort!) Sort of like UPS or FedEx saying "We will not leave
packages at your home unless you leave the front door unlocked so we can put them inside".
As long as apps are written by 22-year-olds who drool when they say the phrase "end-user
security" we are doomed. And .NET is not going to save us from these people!

(For example, I believe that Web browsers should all run as "guest" accounts with
incredibly limited access, no matter who is logged in. And such "guest" accounts can
assume they have no access to the file system, the Registry, etc. A browser that an Admin
runs that operates with Admin privileges, and allows ANY form of client-side scripting, is
deadly dangerous. We need to outgrow the 1960s models of security we currently have and
start thinking of security in the 2000s, which is a lot more important!)
					joe

Joseph M. Newcomer [MVP]
email: newcomer@flounder.com
Web: http://www.flounder.com
newcomer (15975)
3/4/2005 9:31:17 AM
Hi Joe,

> On Thu, 3 Mar 2005 14:20:09 -0800, "Tom Serface" <tserface@msn.com> wrote:

> As long as apps are written by 22-year-olds who drool when they say the
> phrase "end-user
> security" we are doomed. And .NET is not going to save us from these
> people!

They gotta start somewhere... we were 22 once :o)

Tom

0
tserface (3861)
3/5/2005 1:07:49 AM
Yes, but when I was 22, I had competent people keeping me from making stupid mistakes,
which I would have made had I been allowed to do things unsupervised. Actually, I had
competent management when I was 17. The fault is not the fault of the programmers, who
don't know better, but of management, for not understanding they have to actually exercise
responsible supervision.

After all, look what happened to VS7 when it was allowed to be worked on without
supervision!
				joe

On Fri, 4 Mar 2005 17:07:49 -0800, "Tom Serface" <tserface@msn.com> wrote:

>Hi Joe,

>> On Thu, 3 Mar 2005 14:20:09 -0800, "Tom Serface" <tserface@msn.com> wrote:
>
>> As long as apps are written by 22-year-olds who drool when they say the
>> phrase "end-user
>> security" we are doomed. And .NET is not going to save us from these
>> people!
>
>They gotta start somewhere... we were 22 once :o)
>
>Tom

Joseph M. Newcomer [MVP]
email: newcomer@flounder.com
Web: http://www.flounder.com
newcomer (15975)
3/5/2005 10:20:23 PM
"Tom Serface" <tserface@msn.com> a �crit dans le message de
> Hi Joe,
>
> "Joseph M. Newcomer" <newcomer@flounder.com> wrote in message
> > On Thu, 3 Mar 2005 14:20:09 -0800, "Tom Serface" <tserface@msn.com>
wrote:

> > As long as apps are written by 22-year-olds who drool when they say the
> > phrase "end-user
> > security" we are doomed. And .NET is not going to save us from these
> > people!
>
> They gotta start somewhere... we were 22 once :o)

And we should have been kept in protective custody, just like the 30- should
today *laughter*

Johan Rosengren
Abstrakt Mekanik AB

This is the big difference between now and in the 1960's.

In those days we were forced by necessity to work in a disciplined manner. In my
case, we got to do one test a day. Program changes and tests were batched up (on
paper tape) and sent away for processing, A missed comma and a whole day's
effort was wasted !

Since the advent of the PC, the programmer has been in control of his/her
environment. Unlimited compiles/tests can produce really sloppy solutions,
especially as some programmers just use the hammer on the nut approach - blindly
making changes until the program appears to work.

One problem that I think emerges is that educational institutions do not put
enough emphasis on collaborative effort (they call it cheating). Programmers
should be encouraged (or forced) to share and debug each other'e work to prepare
them for the real world.

Joseph M. Newcomer wrote:
> Yes, but when I was 22, I had competent people keeping me from making stupid mistakes,
> which I would have made had I been allowed to do things unsupervised. Actually, I had
> competent management when I was 17. The fault is not the fault of the programmers, who
> don't know better, but of management, for not understanding they have to actually exercise
> responsible supervision.
>
> After all, look what happened to VS7 when it was allowed to be worked on without
> supervision!
> 				joe
>
> On Fri, 4 Mar 2005 17:07:49 -0800, "Tom Serface" <tserface@msn.com> wrote:
>

>>Hi Joe,
>>
>>"Joseph M. Newcomer" <newcomer@flounder.com> wrote in message
>>
>>>On Thu, 3 Mar 2005 14:20:09 -0800, "Tom Serface" <tserface@msn.com> wrote:
>>
>>>As long as apps are written by 22-year-olds who drool when they say the
>>>phrase "end-user
>>>security" we are doomed. And .NET is not going to save us from these
>>>people!
>>
>>They gotta start somewhere... we were 22 once :o)
>>
>>Tom
>>

> Joseph M. Newcomer [MVP]
> email: newcomer@flounder.com
> Web: http://www.flounder.com
isemmel (236)
3/6/2005 8:56:38 PM
Yeah we've come a long ways since punch cards.  I remember.  :o)

Tom

> Yes, but when I was 22, I had competent people keeping me from making
> stupid mistakes,
> which I would have made had I been allowed to do things unsupervised.
> Actually, I had
> competent management when I was 17. The fault is not the fault of the
> programmers, who
> don't know better, but of management, for not understanding they have to
> actually exercise
> responsible supervision.

0
tserface (3861)
3/8/2005 1:15:27 AM
Tom Serface wrote:

> Yeah we've come a long ways since punch cards.  I remember.  :o)
>
> Tom

I have one mounted on the wall over my PC :)
The typing along the top edge says THIS IS MY FIRST PROGRAM.

--
Scott McPhillips [VC++ MVP]

0
Scott
3/8/2005 1:50:00 AM
> > Yeah you hit the nail on the head there thanks Alec
>    so regarding the API will it still rely on MFC to wrap it or will
> Microsoft start using .NET?  I need to know because my project envolves me
> using MFC to access the API functions - to basically create an XP style
> button - kind of like Qt did you know?

    achtungcol,

    The API has never needed MFC to wrap it.

    The API has been around since the beginning of Windows.  It is simply
just a bunch of functions that do stuff.  You call these functions to do
common things instead of doing them manually.  It's like printf in a DOS
program.  You could manually do all of the work that is required to get some
text on the screen, or you just call printf.  MFC is a way of further
simplifying things.  Since there are many common things in Windows
programming, Microsoft created MFC which has most of these common items
already done for you.  Instead of you having to deal with all of the data
and math that would be needed for something like a button or icon, MFC lets
you use existing classes like CButton or CIcon which already have most of
the data and functions you would need.  MFC and the Windows API are just
ways of preventing you from having to "reinvent the wheel".

    .NET is different from MFC.  .NET is Microsoft's version of Java.  What
..NET basically does is to let you write code using standard functions and
classes that can run on any machine that has the .NET framework installed.
When you compile a .NET program it creates "middle-ware".  The middle-ware
does not actually run on the computer because it is not really machine code.
Instead, the .NET framework interprets the middle-ware and performs the
actions.  This way, many different people can install .NET on different
machines-Intel, Sparc, Itanium, Alpha, etc.-and they can all run your
program.  Have you seen some software written for Itanium (Intel 64-bit
x86)?  It won't run on a 32-bit x86 because it's got a different
architecture.  .NET allows the same software to run on both because the .NET
framework installed on the machines is different-specific to the
machine-that way the program doesn't have to be.

    Creating a button in MFC is simple enough; you can just drag-and-drop a
button on to your dialog and create a CButton class for it.  Making it XP
style is even easier.  You don't actually have to do anything because the OS
is responsible for drawing the button and if you are running the program on
XP then XP will draw it in the XP style.

    There is one thing you should be aware of though, for a program to use
the XP visual styles it will need a manifest.  There is a bug in MFC in
Visual Studio .NET 2003 that causes it to not create manifests when you use
the App Wizard.  You can fix this by looking for the file ALL.RC and
DLGALL.RC in the VCWIZARDS folder of VS.NET.  Once you've found them, open
them in a text editor and look for this:

[!if MANIFEST]
#ifdef _UNICODE
IDR_MANIFEST RT_MANIFEST "res\\[!output PROJECT_NAME].manifest"
#endif
[!endif]

change it to this:

[!if MANIFEST]
IDR_MANIFEST RT_MANIFEST "res\\[!output PROJECT_NAME].manifest"
[!endif]

    Now when you create a program with the App Wizard it's buttons-and all
other controls-will use the XP visual styles.

    HTH

oh, and I'm not sure what Qt is.

--
Alec S.
alec <@> synetech <.> cjb <.> net

0
Alec
3/8/2005 7:05:16 AM
In article news:<uvR6o06IFHA.588@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl>, Alec S.
wrote:
> There is a bug in MFC in Visual Studio .NET 2003 that causes
> it to not create manifests when you use the App Wizard.
> You can fix this by ...

Great! So if I want to avoid all the awful eye-candy that XP
imposes I just carry on without the fix (and don't write unicode
apps).

> oh, and I'm not sure what Qt is.

You're kidding, right?

Qt is a platform independent C++ framework supported on Windows,
linux, and the Mac as well as embedded platforms.
http://www.trolltech.com/ (*troll* tech, I hear you ask? Well,
they're Scandanavian ...)

Cheers,
 Daniel.

0
wastebasket (364)
3/8/2005 11:59:41 AM
Alec S. wrote:

>    There is one thing you should be aware of though, for a program to use
>the XP visual styles it will need a manifest.  There is a bug in MFC in
>Visual Studio .NET 2003 that causes it to not create manifests when you use
>the App Wizard.

FWIW, disabling manifests for ANSI builds is one of those "by design"
thingies. Scroll down to the bottom of this page, and you'll find:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/shellcc/platform/commctls/userex/comctrl6.asp
<q>
Note  You should not subclass the updated common controls with an ANSI
window procedure.
</q>

Of course, subclassing is just what MFC wants to do. In practice, the only
area I can think of where this is a problem has to do with the edit
control's EM_(SET|GET)HANDLE messages. I've never used those messages, and
I've not experienced any problems I can attribute to using ComCtrl6 in ANSI
MFC apps.

--
Doug Harrison
Microsoft MVP - Visual C++
"Daniel James" <wastebasket@nospam.aaisp.org> wrote in message
> Great! So if I want to avoid all the awful eye-candy that XP
> imposes I just carry on without the fix (and don't write unicode
> apps).

    No, you can write Unicode programs and even add the fix, just don't
generate/include the .MANIFEST file with your apps.

> > oh, and I'm not sure what Qt is.
>
> You're kidding, right?
>
> Qt is a ...

    I'm not kidding.  I don't care for Mac or Linux.  I have no interest in
cross-platform stuff.  I write apps for myself and if others find them
useful then I share them, otherwise I don't intend on writing a giant,
popular, open source program.  That's why I don't know about Qt or use Java
or .NET.  :p   But thanks for the info.

--
Alec S.
alec <@> synetech <.> cjb <.> net

0
Alec
3/8/2005 9:09:55 PM
In article news:<eWXdJhHJFHA.2852@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl>, Alec S.
wrote:
> No, you can write Unicode programs and even add the fix, just
don't
> generate/include the .MANIFEST file with your apps.

Yeah, I know, I was partly kidding you and partly saying that I
don't care for (to use your words) XP's appearance. Maybe I
should have used a smiley ... but I rather hoped it would be
understood.

> > > oh, and I'm not sure what Qt is.
> >
> > You're kidding, right?
> >
> > Qt is a ...
>
> I'm not kidding.  I don't care for Mac or Linux.  I have no
> interest in cross-platform stuff.

Fair enough -- I'm not suggesting that you should *use* Qt if you
don't want to and/or if it's not appropriate for the projects you
work on; just surprised that you don't at least know about it.
It's a pretty important package on linux and for cross-platform
work (albeit quite an expensive one, except for those open-source
applications for which its licensing is free). IMHO it costs too
much to be generally recommendable for Windows-only work, but is
definitely interesting and worth knowing about.

> But thanks for the info.

You're welcome.

Cheers,
 Daniel.

0
wastebasket (364)
3/10/2005 1:14:31 AM
> Yeah, I know, I was partly kidding you and partly saying that I

    Now that I read your post again-before 3:00am-I see the "Great!".  I
guess it does sound sarcastic with that.

> work on; just surprised that you don't at least know about it.

Like I said, I don't use Linux so I have never run into it.  Also, in
University we didn't learn about things in the real world; we learned
concepts and stuff on fantasy systems.  Instead of learning software
programming or hardware architecture on for example a Windows system or an
Intel setup, we learned on UNIX and on a theoretical system which for
simplification was even more primitive than an 8088.  Stupid Western and
it's cheap, antique computer science department.  I should have gone to
college instead.

--
Alec S.
alec <@> synetech <.> cjb <.> net

0
Alec

Answer to the most annoying problem of Windows 7
This message was posted here because: 1. I couldn't find any newsgroup on Microsoft Communities for Windows 7 (which I believe is an absolute must) 2. the program mentioned at the end would also work for Vista. From day one of upgrading to Windows 7, I was faced with the unpleasant reality that Win7 doesn't remember the size and position of folders. To further torture me, for some reason unknown to me, it began to restrict some programs' windows--such as IE , Outlook, Chrome, and a few other--to a fixed size and position, not allowing any change no matter how many tim...

Updating a workbook and macros
I have a workbook that get replaced by an external program which creates an excel workbook with the same name. When the workbook is replaced is there any way to have the macros stay rather than having to replace it each time. Or If I changed the name of the externally created workbook, is there a way to code the macro to have the old workbooks updated with the info created by the external program. Bing59 ...

Removing standard buttons from main sales window (Account)
Chris, is there also a way to remove the "New Account" button above the grid in the Sales module (when Account is selected from the left nav pane) and replace it with a custom "New Account" button? I need to do this, because our client wants to perform some checks before a salesperson can actually insert new account data. Thx in advance, Gwendy Pavlovic "Chris Rogers" wrote: > Sebastiano, > > Totally unsupported, but effective. Edit /SFA/accts/edit.aspx (after > making a backup copy!) and place the script below between the </body> &...

why do windows in taskbar go away
Why does the Windows in Taskbar checkbox within options become unchecked after opening a shared file? -- j-dawg ------------------------------------------------------------------------ j-dawg's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=16551 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=345905 dawg You don't state which version of Excel but....... This is a bug with shared workbooks in Office 2000 and it seems there never was a fix for it. Excel 2002 has corrected the bug. Gord Dibben Excel MVP On Wed, 16 Feb 2005 08:54:0...

Update Links to current Directory??
I have a set of 6 workbooks all in a single directory. Each of the workbooks are linked, pulling data from other workbooks. When I copy the entire directory to a new location(folder), the links still try to go to the older folder. Here is an example formula: The current folder is "folder1" =VLOOKUP(A2,'C:\folder1\[Roster.xls]Sheet1'!$A$1:$E$10,2) If I move to "folder2", the formula still points to "folder1" Is there a way to edit the formulas to reference the current folder? Thanks for your help - Pulcue -- Pulcue ----------------------------...

Updating 401k accounts
I am just starting a 401k account and was wondering the best way to do this. I am having so much taken out of my check each week, but the amount varies because my check is not the same each week. So when I enter my paycheck deposit, I make it a split transaction with a portion of it transferred to the 401k account. Now I am wondering what the best way is to add the stocks. I tried the 401k manager and that seemed to be quite easy since it lists the funds, and you just change the amounts each week. However, I am wondering if it makes a difference that it adds the stocks in the re...

My PC can't even boot after installing 12 Microsoft updates today
Like I have been doing in the past, I was asked today if I want to download 12 Microsoft updates for my home-edition XP platform during the shutdown, I went ahead to install them, and PC pwoered off after it. Later when I attempted to pwoer on, the OS was crashed and couldn't even get to the desktop. Can't run the safe mode either. I can not believe what happen to my PC today just install 12 Microsoft updates like I always do before. What kind of Microsoft updates that are available today????? HELP!!!! -- David See the "How to obtain help" section of htt...

Update Dynamics 7.5- Dynamics 9.0
Hi, Could you tell me where can I found the guide to update an the service packs necessary for this. Also, I'm looking for the 7.5 service packs. I was looking on the partner source but i didn't find nothing about it. Regards, CL Hi CI. I hope the link can provide help for you. https://mbs.microsoft.com/knowledgebase/KBDisplay.aspx?WTNTZSMNWUKNTMMYQLYTNSUKZPXKMUNVOOQQPYKWMZSXTNXSPXMSQVQRLLZSTLST ---Darryl Bajaro "Cl" wrote: > Hi, > > Could you tell me where can I found the guide to update an the service packs > necessary for this. > > Also, I...

Update a Label In Another Form
This sounds easy, but apparently not for me... I have a for that has a label on it. That label has a value in it (caption). I would like to be able to update that caption on that form via VBA. I have a function that updates a value in a backend table. I want to take that value and update the caption on that form (which will always be closed). I've tried using the following in the function, but it errors out: .... DoCmd.OpenForm "frmDatabaseLogon", acNormal Me.lblVersion.Caption = strVersion .... The error comes back saying invalid use of the Me keyword. Any he...

Office 2008 finds update is needed, but won't update... #2
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: intel When I check for updates, Office 2008 recognizes that I need an update (12.0.1). It downloads and when the software tries to search for a drive that needs the update, it doesn't find one . I get this message next to a STOP sign with exclamation point... You cannot install Microsoft Office 2008 for Mac 12.0.1 Update on this volume. A version of the software required to install this update was not found on this volume. This doesn't make sense to me. I have the software installed when Word was open, I would go to ...

CRM 1.2 hangs with Windows XP SP2 RC1, which new security reg key to change?
Hi all, Ive installed crm1.2 to eval and the xpsp2rc1 test pc cannot get past the first page, the window hangs. Other machines are fine, so Im guessing its one of the new com, rpc or other security "fixes" in xpsp2 thats bust it. Does anyone know which one its likely to be, so I can disable the right one? Thanks Rich Hi: Is this in the browser client or SFO client? If it's the browser SP2 includes a pop-up blocker and such blockers break the CRM functionality...you can disable the new IE pop-up blocker (it's on by default) by opening IE and clicking Tools->Pop-Up...

Multiple Items Updating
In the same way that we can insert items in inventory using Import tool and IM, which tool or tools can be used to UPDATE item master's fields or other tables' fields? Thank s a lot -- Gilberto Villegas GP Business Solutions partner That depends... for the most part, you can use IM to update master records. When all else fails, you can use T-SQL. Best regards, -- MG.- Mariano Gomez, MIS, MCP, PMP Maximum Global Business, LLC http://www.maximumglobalbusiness.com The Dynamics GP Blogster at http://dynamicsgpblogster.blogspot.com "Gilberto" wrote: > In the same way...

how to export all my windows mail to yahoo mail
pls advise how to I export my inbox, sent box, contacts from windows mail to yahoo mail ? You can't transfer messages unless you forward them individually. I presume you are talking about the webmail version of Yahoo Mail? Yahoo also offers POP access for a small fee: http://help.yahoo.com/l/us/yahoo/mail/classic/mailplus/overview Contacts can be transferred by exporting them from Windows Mail (File, Export, Windows Contacts, CSV) then importing that CSV file into = Yahoo Mail. Gary VanderMolen, Microsoft MVP (Mail) "des" wrote in message = news:7243275A...

outlook xp will not start
I can not start outlook xp. I get an hourglass as if it is trying to start but nothing. I repaired my files with the original cd and nothing. I unistalled and reinstalled Office and nothing. Has this happened to anyone else? Thanks, Ron Does it start in safe mode? * Start > Run > type: outlook.exe /safe > ok button If yes, try renaming outcmd.dat to outcmd.bak while all e-mail enabled apps + outlook are closed. (file is in a hidden/system directory) "Ron" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:2b8301c470a5$ffaa6b90$a301280a@phx.gbl... >...

CTreeCtrl Not Updating Clipping Area
If I call: loop { tree.SetItemState(item, TVIS_EXPANDED, TVIS_EXPANDED); } this->Invalidate(); the resulting expanded part of the tree does not respond to mouse events. The first element does however. If I collapse the whole tree and expand it (using the mouse) it fixes the problem and the behavior is as expected. Also, if I click on a few items, even though it doesn't look like anything is happening, if I bring another window in front of the UI temporarily and then back, the control is indeed modified in accordance with the seemingly ignored events. It l...

Update failing to install
I keep trying to install an update but it always fails. Here's the update: Security Update for the 2007 Microsoft Office System (KB976321) 1.4 MB A security vulnerability exists in the 2007 Microsoft Office System that cuold allow arbitrary code to run when a maliciously modified file is opened. This update resolved that vulnerability. Published: 5/10/2010 You may need to restart your computer after installing this update. The error code is 646 Close all Office applications prior to the next install attempt. Insert your Office 2007 into the appropriate dr...

Continuous Line
Hi. If I am creating a line chart with the following data, is there a way that I can get the line chart to skip the date with no data (6/10 in this case). I would want the line to connect between 6/9 and 6/11 instead of having a break in the line. Date Yield 6/6 96% 6/7 97% 6/8 93% 6/9 90% 6/10 6/11 85% 6/12 99% Thanks, Mike. go to <tools>(options><chart> and select the way you want skipped data to show >-----Original Message----- >Hi. If I am creating a line chart with the following >data, is there a way that I can get th...

Spell checher not working in Windows XP
I just upgraded to Win XP. Installed my Office 97. My spell checker doesn't work in Outlook Express now. I get a message stating "error occurred while checking spelling" I reinstalled office but still doesn't work. Help!! See How To Fix spell checking in Outlook Express 6 http://www.tech-pro.co.uk/howto_010.html Spell check not working in XP Outlook Express http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/spellcheck.htm Spell Checker Not Working in Windows XP http://www2.cajun.net/~theriots/blk/xp_oe.htm#xp_spell_checker -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself...

update data by e-mail??
Please bear with me as I am new and dumber than a pocket full of rocks when it comes to this kinda of stuff, but learning. This is the Scenario: The company I work for also has M/S office I created a work sheet at work & home named DOGS. I do most of my work at home... can I e-mail the company and would they be able to save and updated to dogs worksheet? one other quick question: I have 2003 office Students and Teachers Edition would I be able to to restore to lets say M/S works 6-9. I am aware that not all the functions would work in works but I assume a majority of them would? ...

Creating and Destroying a Window in CWinThread Derived Class
Hello, (Using VC++ 6.0) I am extremely frustrated with this and have burned many hours and still no solution. This should be simple. I have created a sample app that does the following: 1) Creates a CWinThread derived class from Class Wizard called SeperateThread. 2) Creates a modeless dialog box on thread initialization 3) Destroys it on ExitInstance() SeperateThread. Problem: ExitInstance() in cannot destroy the window I created just above on thread InitInstance(). Code Snippets: CTestThreaddingJunkDlg.h CSeperateThread ThreadA; declared in the base .h file In CTestThreaddingJun...

New/old problem with Powerpoint in Update 2
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: Intel When MS Office 2008 first came out, Powerpoint was unable to open files created by Powerpoint 2004. This was fixed in Update 1. Update 2 brings the problem back. I cannot open presentations that I created just a few days ago in Powerpoint. This is a MAJOR problem for me. I'm developing several courses and need access to those materials. The first time this occurred I was able to open the presentations using Keynote. Unfortunately I have to send these courses to the university for more processing so that's not ...

How to set focus to the window shown by the API ShowWindow(SW_SHOW) #2
Hi, I am using ShowWindow(SW_HIDE) to hide my window when minimizing the application.. Now, when user clicks on the icon I am using code, ShowWindow(SW_SHOW) to show my window back to the screen.. and it comes back.. But still the window does not come on top.. it comes on the last z-order.. so, if that window is the only window on my screen i am able to see the window.. of if another window is smaller than mine winodw, i will be able to see the remaining portion of my window.. my window is getting focused but other windows (after loosing focus - in inactive state) shows up on the top.....

Money Updates:
In the last week, when I log on to Money (2001), I get the following error nessage: Money Updates: An error was encountered while processing a downloaded file ('SMRTINET.INI') during SmartConnect. What does it mean and how can I correct the situation? In microsoft.public.money, Frank wrote: >In the last week, when I log on to Money (2001), I get >the following error nessage: > >Money Updates: >An error was encountered while processing a downloaded >file ('SMRTINET.INI') during SmartConnect. > >What does it mean and how can I correct the situation...

When will RTM be available for VL and MSDN customers ?
Hi ! We need to know when the RTM version will be available to VL customers and to msdn ? We do not want to use eval version because obviously a reinstall is needed to turn it into a fully licensed version -> btw ... this is not a very smart choice imho ...why not simply enter a license key ?!? Thanks, Alex I have been advised by my MS contacts that it should be on the VL site no later than June 1st. "Alexander" wrote: > Hi ! > > We need to know when the RTM version will be available to VL customers and > to msdn ? We do not want to use ev...

Outlook 2002 and Windows 7 password problem
After upgrading from XP to Win7 I installed Office XP. Everything installed without a problem until I ran Outlook. Every time I started Outlook my passwords were awol. I looked at various forums and discovered this is a known problem since Vista was introduced. I am happy with Word and Excel XP and I really don't want to buy an a new expensive Office just because of this incompatibility! Does anyone have a fix or are there any alternative solutions available? Try using Outlook in corporate/workgroup mode. Since Office XP is now 8 years old, it's not supported on newer OS'...