Why is .NET 2.0 required to deploy an app using VC2005 C++ Setup project?

I just created a setup project for my mfc app.  I noticed that in the
prerequisites section the .NET 2.0 is checked by default.  My app does not
need the framework (at least this is what I think).  If I clear the
checkbox, build the project, and then try to deploy it on a machine with
..NET 1.1 the installer fails with a message complaining about missing .NET
2.0.

I'm not sure if this the installer that needs the framework or my app.  Are
there any mfc8 dlls dependant on the framework?

Thanks

0
rob1164 (5)
6/18/2007 7:39:04 PM
vc.mfc 33608 articles. 0 followers. Follow

Hi,

> I just created a setup project for my mfc app.  I noticed that in the
> prerequisites section the .NET 2.0 is checked by default.  My app
> does not need the framework (at least this is what I think).  If I
> clear the checkbox, build the project, and then try to deploy it on a
> machine with .NET 1.1 the installer fails with a message complaining
> about missing .NET 2.0.

Please post the exact error message.

> I'm not sure if this the installer that needs the framework or my
> app.  Are there any mfc8 dlls dependant on the framework?

No, MFC does not depend on the Framework.

Check you project properties: Configuration Properties : General : Common
Language Runtime Support = "No Common Language Runtime support".

Did you use the Project wizard to create a new project? Which type did you
select?

--
SvenC

0
SvenC (45)
6/18/2007 7:51:31 PM
I don't remember the exact error message (and can't run the setup at the
moment).  The message basically said that .NET 2.0 is required.

I do have "No Common Language Runtime support" set to "No".
I'm now certain that this is not MFC or my app because I could run the app
on the same target machine by installing it manually (i.e. creating
necessary folders, copying files, creating shortcuts, etc.).

I used Setup And Deployment.Setup Project.

Thanks

"SvenC" <SvenC@community.nospam> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
>> I just created a setup project for my mfc app.  I noticed that in the
>> prerequisites section the .NET 2.0 is checked by default.  My app
>> does not need the framework (at least this is what I think).  If I
>> clear the checkbox, build the project, and then try to deploy it on a
>> machine with .NET 1.1 the installer fails with a message complaining
>> about missing .NET 2.0.
>
> Please post the exact error message.
>
>> I'm not sure if this the installer that needs the framework or my
>> app.  Are there any mfc8 dlls dependant on the framework?
>
> No, MFC does not depend on the Framework.
>
> Check you project properties: Configuration Properties : General : Common
> Language Runtime Support = "No Common Language Runtime support".
>
> Did you use the Project wizard to create a new project? Which type did you
> select?
>
> --
> SvenC

0
rob1164 (5)
6/18/2007 8:13:41 PM
Hi,

> I don't remember the exact error message (and can't run the setup at
> the moment).  The message basically said that .NET 2.0 is required.

Maybe you can provide that later on.

> I do have "No Common Language Runtime support" set to "No".
> I'm now certain that this is not MFC or my app because I could run
> the app on the same target machine by installing it manually (i.e.
> creating necessary folders, copying files, creating shortcuts, etc.).
>
> I used Setup And Deployment.Setup Project.

Which Detected Dependencies are shown in your Setup project in the Solution
Explorer?

After unchecking the .Net dependency did you really rebuild the setup before
copying the setup to the target machine?
Which files/direcories have been created?

--
SvenC

0
SvenC (45)
6/18/2007 8:24:49 PM
- Error:
This setup requires the .NET Framework version 2.0.50727.  Please Install
the .NET Framework and run....

- Detected dependencies:
DSOUND.dll
Microsort_VC80_CRT_x86.msm
Microsort_VC80_MFC_x86.msm
msi.dll
MSIMG32.dll
msxml4.dll
policy_8_0_microsoft_vc80_crt_x86.msm
policy_8_0_microsoft_vc80_mfc_x86.msm
QUARTZ.dll
VERSION.dll
WININET.dll

- Directories/files created (by the setup project on my dev machine, is this
what you asked for?):
<appname>.msi
setup.exe

I have no prerequisites selected in the project properties.  I think I could
clear the "Create setup program" to get rid of setup.exe.  Still, this will
not solve the .NET 2.0 dependency because running the .msi on its own
generates the same error.

An yes, I did rebuild the project.

Thanks again.

> Hi,
>
>> I don't remember the exact error message (and can't run the setup at
>> the moment).  The message basically said that .NET 2.0 is required.
>
> Maybe you can provide that later on.
>
>> I do have "No Common Language Runtime support" set to "No".
>> I'm now certain that this is not MFC or my app because I could run
>> the app on the same target machine by installing it manually (i.e.
>> creating necessary folders, copying files, creating shortcuts, etc.).
>>
>> I used Setup And Deployment.Setup Project.
>
> Which Detected Dependencies are shown in your Setup project in the
> Solution Explorer?
>
> After unchecking the .Net dependency did you really rebuild the setup
> before copying the setup to the target machine?
> Which files/direcories have been created?
>
> --
> SvenC

0
rob1164 (5)
6/18/2007 8:46:19 PM
Hi,

> - Error:
> This setup requires the .NET Framework version 2.0.50727.  Please
> Install the .NET Framework and run....
>
> - Detected dependencies:
> DSOUND.dll
> Microsort_VC80_CRT_x86.msm
> Microsort_VC80_MFC_x86.msm
> msi.dll
> MSIMG32.dll
> msxml4.dll
> policy_8_0_microsoft_vc80_crt_x86.msm
> policy_8_0_microsoft_vc80_mfc_x86.msm
> QUARTZ.dll
> VERSION.dll
> WININET.dll

Looks OK.

> - Directories/files created (by the setup project on my dev machine,
> is this what you asked for?):
> <appname>.msi
> setup.exe

Looks OK, too.

> I have no prerequisites selected in the project properties.  I think
> I could clear the "Create setup program" to get rid of setup.exe. Still,
> this will not solve the .NET 2.0 dependency because running
> the .msi on its own generates the same error.

I do select Windows Installer 3.1 to ensure that a proper installer version
might be installed if the target doesn't have it.
But I doubt that is the problem, otherwise you could not start the msi
directly.

Sorry, I am out of ideas.

--
SvenC

0
SvenC (45)
6/18/2007 9:01:44 PM
I appreciate your help.

FYI,  I hacked the msi file with Orca editor and deleted auto-generated
custom action that checks for framework version: DIRCA_CheckFX.  I also
deleted  VSDCA_VsdLaunchConditions.  I did it based on the following:
http://geekswithblogs.net/pavelka/archive/2006/02/14/69425.aspx
http://www.codeproject.com/useritems/removedotnet.asp?df=100&forumid=151443&exp=0&select=1371941

It works but this makes me wonder what causes VS to put that stuff in msi.
I'll try to post the question to msi group.

Thanks again.

> Hi,
>
>> - Error:
>> This setup requires the .NET Framework version 2.0.50727.  Please
>> Install the .NET Framework and run....
>>
>> - Detected dependencies:
>> DSOUND.dll
>> Microsort_VC80_CRT_x86.msm
>> Microsort_VC80_MFC_x86.msm
>> msi.dll
>> MSIMG32.dll
>> msxml4.dll
>> policy_8_0_microsoft_vc80_crt_x86.msm
>> policy_8_0_microsoft_vc80_mfc_x86.msm
>> QUARTZ.dll
>> VERSION.dll
>> WININET.dll
>
> Looks OK.
>
>> - Directories/files created (by the setup project on my dev machine,
>> is this what you asked for?):
>> <appname>.msi
>> setup.exe
>
> Looks OK, too.
>
>> I have no prerequisites selected in the project properties.  I think
>> I could clear the "Create setup program" to get rid of setup.exe. Still,
>> this will not solve the .NET 2.0 dependency because running
>> the .msi on its own generates the same error.
>
> I do select Windows Installer 3.1 to ensure that a proper installer
> version might be installed if the target doesn't have it.
> But I doubt that is the problem, otherwise you could not start the msi
> directly.
>
> Sorry, I am out of ideas.
>
> --
> SvenC

0
rob1164 (5)
6/18/2007 9:36:25 PM
I finally managed to fix the problem.  While examining the content of
associated vdproj file I noticed a "Launch Conditions" section with .NET 2.0
in it.  I then went back to the project in VS and opened Launch Conditions
editor. I was quite surprised to see .NET node attached to the Launch
Conditions folder.  The node was in error (i.e. had a red exclamation icon).
I'm not sure where this thing came from.  I definitely did not put it there.
Anyway, after deleting  it the .msi was created without .NET dependencies.

0
rob1164 (5)
6/18/2007 10:09:05 PM
Rob wrote:
> I finally managed to fix the problem.  While examining the content of
> associated vdproj file I noticed a "Launch Conditions" section with
> .NET 2.0 in it.  I then went back to the project in VS and opened
> Launch Conditions editor. I was quite surprised to see .NET node
> attached to the Launch Conditions folder.  The node was in error
> (i.e. had a red exclamation icon). I'm not sure where this thing came
> from.  I definitely did not put it there. Anyway, after deleting  it
> the .msi was created without .NET dependencies.

Good to see it fixed and a nice help, if others stumble about it.

--
SvenC
0

projecting the notes pages in PPT 2007

Using Relative path for XML data file?

Problem with "Use Unicode Format when saving messages"
In outlook we have option to set "use Unicode format when saving messages"(outlook>tools>options>other >Advanced options),even though option is enabled, when ever I try "save as" the email into folder, it is showing Html format by default.However can drop down the list and select the Unicode format. But I need Unicode message format to be shown by default if I need to "save as" any email. Any Suggestion ? Regards, Sam That is not possible and that is not what this option controls. The option controls whether the default safe fo...

Linking files 2 ways

More Columns #2

Reporting from Project Server

Microsoft CRM 3.0 Installation 11-08-07

OPOS SETUP FOR SYMBOL P370 SCANNER
I am unable to get the Symbol P370 barcode scanner to setup property for RMS. RMS beeps a messages "warning 926 : the scanner driver was not found". I've got the OPOS driver downloaded to the desktop. Searched the help files in RMS which tells me to use the "Configure Microsoft OPOS Service Utiity". Where is that utility????? Need someone to walk me through this! RMS works, scanner works - just not together. What do you mean by "Scanner works"? Can you open notepad and scan a barcode into it? If so, you have a scanner that is emulating keyboard...

Contacts in Exchange #2

C-RunTime or Win32
This is a big question I always get in my mind, that Should I use C-Run Time Library functions or Win32 Functions? e.g. A simple task, open a file, if exist, open for read or open as append for write, what is its path, directory, extension, file attributes, etc. Now, all these taks, we need in our every projects, and hence I hace this question, that CRTL or Win32. Thanks for your vital views. Tom Alter wrote: > This is a big question I always get in my mind, that Should I use C-Run Time Library > functions or Win32 Functions? > e.g. A simple task, open a file, if exist, open for r...

Offline Synchronization Problem #2

using the journal on outlook

Goal Seek #2

Increment A2 from A1 and A2 Sum #2

number format with leading 0

Does Outlook use the DAV protocol?

COUNTIF MULTIPLE CRITERIA #2
To count if Col A=aa and Col B=bb and Col C=cc. Must meet all situation. Thanks will A Try this: =SUMPRODUCT(--(A1:A10="aa"),--(B1:B10="bb"),--(C1:C10="cc")) Adjust range references to suit your situation Does that help? *********** Regards, Ron "will A" wrote: > To count if Col A=aa and Col B=bb and Col C=cc. Must meet all situation. > Thanks > will A =SUMPRODUCT(--(A1:A1000="aa"),--(B1:B1000="bb"),--(C1:c1000="cc")) SUMPRODUCT does not work on a complete column, just a defined range, and all ranges must b...

Inactive records in the "Look up records" dialogue (CRM 4.0)
Due to "dirty import data" I have a lot of duplicates in my CRM system. These have all been deactivated (but not merged) until they can be evaluated and deleted. Unfortunately, when I use "Advanced find" and use account name as a criteria, *all* accounts show up in the "Look up records" dialogue box - regardless of status. Is there any way to ensure only active accounts show up in this dialogue box? On Dec 4, 2:29=A0am, "maria.elmv...@gmail.com" <maria.elmv...@gmail.com> wrote: > Due to "dirty import data" I have a lot of duplicates...