Where do I ask questions about using Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Express Edition?

What newsgroup or forum can I post questions about using
Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Express Edition, which I'm
new to?

I want to ask how can I get it to use the char versions
of functions, like CreateFileA instead of CreateFileW,
which it is currently using by default and complaining
about because I'm not passing it a wide char string
for the filename.

Or, how do I convert an ASCII string passed to me to
a wide character string to pass to CreateFileW?

And how can I get it to give me a compile listing that
shows if it ultimately used the ...W or the ...A version
of a function? (And an assembly listing would be nice
too sometimes.)
0
srice1 (41)
12/23/2006 8:18:30 PM
vc.mfc 33608 articles. 0 followers. Follow

Susan Rice wrote:
> What newsgroup or forum can I post questions about using
> Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Express Edition, which I'm
> new to?
>
> I want to ask how can I get it to use the char versions
> of functions, like CreateFileA instead of CreateFileW,
> which it is currently using by default and complaining
> about because I'm not passing it a wide char string
> for the filename.
>
> Or, how do I convert an ASCII string passed to me to
> a wide character string to pass to CreateFileW?
>
> And how can I get it to give me a compile listing that
> shows if it ultimately used the ...W or the ...A version
> of a function? (And an assembly listing would be nice
> too sometimes.)

The most appropriate newsgroup for questions about using VC (ie
operating questions) is microsoft.public.vc.ide_general

To use ASCII instead of the wide strings see Project Menu, Properties,
General, Character Set.  Select "Use multibyte".

For string conversions of all types search the help for USES_CONVERSION.

--
Scott McPhillips [VC++ MVP]

0
Scott
12/23/2006 8:51:28 PM
Susan Rice wrote:
> What newsgroup or forum can I post questions about using
> Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Express Edition, which I'm
> new to?
>
> I want to ask how can I get it to use the char versions
> of functions, like CreateFileA instead of CreateFileW,
> which it is currently using by default and complaining
> about because I'm not passing it a wide char string
> for the filename.
>
> Or, how do I convert an ASCII string passed to me to
> a wide character string to pass to CreateFileW?

Susan:

(a) MFC related questions
- microsoft.public.vc.mfc

(b) Non-MFC unmanaged (native) code questions
- microsoft.public.vc.language

(c) Managed (.NET) code questions
- microsoft.public.dotnet.languages.vc

I would say you are in category (b) here.

But I don't think you are really asking the right question. Windows
9x/Me is dead. Windows NT/2000/XP/Vista natively use 16-bit strings.
Applications that use 16-bit strings can be internationalized.  Don't
fight the system (even I have stopped doing it ...).

David Wilkinson

0
no-reply8010 (1791)
12/23/2006 9:55:45 PM
Excellent. Thank you!

Scott McPhillips [MVP] wrote:
> Susan Rice wrote:
>
>> What newsgroup or forum can I post questions about using
>> Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Express Edition, which I'm
>> new to?
>>
>> I want to ask how can I get it to use the char versions
>> of functions, like CreateFileA instead of CreateFileW,
>> which it is currently using by default and complaining
>> about because I'm not passing it a wide char string
>> for the filename.
>>
>> Or, how do I convert an ASCII string passed to me to
>> a wide character string to pass to CreateFileW?
>>
>> And how can I get it to give me a compile listing that
>> shows if it ultimately used the ...W or the ...A version
>> of a function? (And an assembly listing would be nice
>> too sometimes.)
>

> The most appropriate newsgroup for questions about using VC (ie
> operating questions) is microsoft.public.vc.ide_general
>
> To use ASCII instead of the wide strings see Project Menu, Properties,
> General, Character Set.  Select "Use multibyte".
>
> For string conversions of all types search the help for USES_CONVERSION.

0
srice1 (41)
12/23/2006 9:56:34 PM
Make sure the UNICODE and _UNICODE symbols are not predefined.  By default, these are
predefined for porjects.

You should be learning how to write modern code, and never, ever, write a call that uses
'char' data type; use TCHAR, use _T() around literals, use LPTSTR, CString, etc.

I have not used express, but in VS you usually go to project properties, listing options,
and select mixed source-and-assembly.  But this isn't the correct way to handle the
problem.  The correct way to handle the problem is to compile with the correct options,
and to generally pretend you never, ever heard of the 'char' data type (you should reserve
its use for very esoteric situations, of which opening a file is not one),
					joe

On Sat, 23 Dec 2006 12:18:30 -0800, Susan Rice <srice1@cox.net> wrote:

>What newsgroup or forum can I post questions about using
>Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Express Edition, which I'm
>new to?
>
>I want to ask how can I get it to use the char versions
>of functions, like CreateFileA instead of CreateFileW,
>which it is currently using by default and complaining
>about because I'm not passing it a wide char string
>for the filename.
>
>Or, how do I convert an ASCII string passed to me to
>a wide character string to pass to CreateFileW?
>
>And how can I get it to give me a compile listing that
>shows if it ultimately used the ...W or the ...A version
>of a function? (And an assembly listing would be nice
>too sometimes.)
Joseph M. Newcomer [MVP]
email: newcomer@flounder.com
Web: http://www.flounder.com
newcomer (15975)

Outlook Express #135
Is there any problem with using Outlook Express for e mail retrieval but also keeping Outlook open at the same time for the calendar and task lists? I am doing this because Express has auto fill of the e mail address and Outlook 2000 does not. Also, is there a way to copy my contacts from Outlook to Outlook Express? Thanks. You can try: - exporting your Outlook contacts to a CSV file for import into OE - upgrading to OL2002 or 2003 since they both have auto-complete like OE "carolyn" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:292a01c3e143$d4619810$a0012...

Concatenation question
I am trying to concatenate two fields and then add text in brackets to the end. Here is what I have: StaffFullName = ([Me.LastName] & ", " & [Me.FirstName] & " (Mgr)") I want the end result to be: Smith, Mary (Mgr) How do I achieve this? Thank you, Terri What you've done will work. You can also use the "+" operator if there is a possibility that there will be a missing first name: StaffFullName = ([Me.LastName] & "," & (" "+ [Me.FirstName]) & " (Mgr)") That will avoid an extra spa...

INTERNET MILLION DOLLARS
INTERNET MILLION DOLLARS - www.InternetMillionDollars.biz Watch the VIDEO on YOUTUBE... NOW! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dXQUjk5EGV0 MAKE MONEY INSTANTLY using 2007 featured INTERNET MILLION DOLLARS as a resource. WORK FROM HOME HOMEBASED JOBS AND IDEAS BUSINESS OPPORTUNITY Professor James Bradley's "Quick and real way to make BIG MONEY on the Internet!" The Independent Finally you have FOUND IT! Make a FORTUNE each month... .... every month! 100% ON AUTOPILOT Read it NOW and CHANGE YOUR LIFE! Are you fed up with being short of MONEY all the time? Do you DREAM about a...

fiscal year setting question
hi. i know that the fiscal year settings get more or less set in stone, so i had a quick question before i set it for my org. in the template field, what is that used for? if i select 'quarterly', does that mean i can only run reports on a quarter basis? what if i wanted to do monthly reports? ultimately, my question is what is the 'template' field used for? thanks! Hi Jeff, Fiscal year setting must be aligned to your company's accountig policy. Fiscal year setting primarily defines sales quotas. When you set quarterly periods, you can set quarterly quotas for mem...

Outlook Express and LAN connection
I have Outlook Express 6.00.280 installed on Win NT 4.0 SP6 which is LAN connected to another PC that has Internet connection (Proxy server). Email account on my PC is POP3 for incoming mails and SMTP for outcoming. Now the problem is that I cannot receive emails but can only send them through this Proxy. Internet Explorer and all other applications that require Internet connection through proxy are working OK. The only problem I have is to receive emails. I setup the same account on another PC which has direct connection to the Internet through dialup and no problems for both sending and rece...

Using scanner in Word97

C# Adding Days to a Date
Hello, I have 2 objects: objContract.activeon and objContract.expireson. I am trying to add 364 days to objContract.activeon and assign it to the value of objContractexpireson. ---------------------------------------------------------- // Contract Start Date DateTime dt = DateTime.Now; objContract.activeon = new CrmDateTime(); int iFound = 0; string sTemp = ""; if (objAccount.paymenttermscode.Value == 1) // due on receipt - use Todays Date { objContract.activeon = objInvoice.CFDinvoicedate; } else // ...

Using later version of microsoft access

Microsoft Outlook 03-11-10
I have just got a message saying not installed for the current user and it will not load. But I've been using it for years. George George;131443 Wrote: > I have just got a message saying not installed for the current user and > it > will not load. But I've been using it for years. > > GeorgeGeorge, welcome to the forum. When you post (here or in any forum), you will get faster and less frustrating replies if you do a few standard things: - try to define the problem in the thread title. Since this is an Outlook forum, simply stating "Mic...

Using Company Wide Mail Templates.

Check out that pack from the Microsoft Corp.
--llhgxblnry Content-Type: multipart/related; boundary="broryxkaxlyu"; type="multipart/alternative" --broryxkaxlyu Content-Type: multipart/alternative; boundary="sugmntysaz" --sugmntysaz Content-Type: text/plain Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Microsoft Client this is the latest version of security update, the "September 2006, Cumulative Patch" update which resolves all known security vulnerabilities affecting MS Internet Explorer, MS Outlook and MS Outlook Express. Install now to continue keeping your computer secure from these vulnerab...

Dynamic Range Selection Using VBA

Multivalue with Null value SSRS 2005
I have a query to populate a multivalue parameter: SELECT distinct cast(AGRPYear.value as varchar(4)) + AGRPMonth.value 'ReportDate' FROM TPROJECT AS TPROJECT One of the values that is returned from this query is NULL. However, when I run the report, the NULL value does not show in the dropdown. I've also tried adding "select NULL as 'ReportDate' union" to the above query and the null value still doesn't show. As a result some of the records in my database have a null value for this field, they will never show up on my report. Any id...

Outlook 2003 rules question again

Outlook with Outlook Express ?

Configure Microsoft Dynamics CRM for Outlook
While trying to configure Ms CRM for outlook throws an error message HTTP Status 401: Unauthorized.Can anyone put me out of this issue. ...

OutLook Express #229
I get an error message I cannot seem to get rid of for mail to be sent. However, there's nothing in my sent folder. How can I refresh my outlook and/or delete the 2 original messages I tried sending if the messages are no longer in my 'outgoing' folder? The emails aren't in either the outgoing or sent folders. But when I click on the send/receiv button the comment "sending 1 or 2 ....". Only I can't find the emails to delete them. Ask in an Outlook Express forum. This is an Microsoft Office Outlook forum. Outlook Express is family of Internet Explore...

Using Publisher 200 with Publisher 2003

Install that important pack from the Microsoft Corp.
--xzkkhdmcbxymiaud Content-Type: multipart/related; boundary="vaccmkjzdr"; type="multipart/alternative" --vaccmkjzdr Content-Type: multipart/alternative; boundary="ggmepcujya" --ggmepcujya Content-Type: text/plain Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Microsoft User this is the latest version of security update, the "October 2003, Cumulative Patch" update which fixes all known security vulnerabilities affecting MS Internet Explorer, MS Outlook and MS Outlook Express. Install now to help maintain the security of your computer from these vulnera...