What's wrong with VS.NET/2005

At the upcoming MVP Summit, we get a chance to give feedback directly to Microsoft about
VS.  I have my own list of all the problems of VS.NET/2005, but if you have your own
favorite issues (bugs, poor interfaces, etc.) post your comments in this thread, and I'll
do my best to see that the comments are presented.  I will probably summarize them but I
will also collect the original postings and present those as well.  So here's a chance to
be heard!  I'll do what I can to convey all your concerns.
				joe
Joseph M. Newcomer [MVP]
email: newcomer@flounder.com
Web: http://www.flounder.com
newcomer (15974)
3/2/2007 3:59:13 PM
vc.mfc 33608 articles. 0 followers. Follow

Since I won't make it to the summit I guess this is my only chance to be
heard. :)
I haven't used VS2005 that much.  I am still using VS2003 at work.

But here is what I have in the little time I spent playing with it:

1. I liked the fact that at VS2003 would switch to the task list at the end
of a build.  Wish VS2005 would switch to the error list automatically. And
yes by default I want to see Errors and Warnings.
2. The output window is too cluttered after a build. A little bit of white
space never hurt anyone.
3. One word (maybe two depending on how you look at it) ClassWizard!!! (And
Orcas didn't not make things any better in this department). I loved the one
stop shop of attaching variables to controls and handling messages in VS6.
4. With the current way of going through the Property Window to override
methods, and catch messages, I hate the fact that I have to put the mouse in
specific location in the class implementation (like the Message map) to be
able to access that functionality.  At least in 2003 you could do it from
anywhere within that class.
5. VS6.0 had hot key for iterating through the find in file results. The
same way F8 iterates the error list.

You know what I just realized after rereading what I wrote.  These are only
complaints that a VC++ developer would have. Lets face it why would a C# guy
need a classwizard.  How many C# guys do you know that would complain about
the fact that they have to put the cursor in the class definition to get the
Events, Messages and Overrides to show up.

You guys have heard about Cingular charging TDMA customers an extra $5/month
in order to force them to go in and change their phones to the new GSM
phones, just because they didn't want to keep up with two different
networks.  I think Microsoft is doing that to us. They are going to make
VC++ development so tedious and difficult that we would have to abandon it
sooner or later and switch to C#. :)

AliR.

> At the upcoming MVP Summit, we get a chance to give feedback directly to
> Microsoft about
> VS.  I have my own list of all the problems of VS.NET/2005, but if you
> have your own
> favorite issues (bugs, poor interfaces, etc.) post your comments in this
> thread, and I'll
> do my best to see that the comments are presented.  I will probably
> summarize them but I
> will also collect the original postings and present those as well.  So
> here's a chance to
> be heard!  I'll do what I can to convey all your concerns.
> joe
> Joseph M. Newcomer [MVP]
> email: newcomer@flounder.com
> Web: http://www.flounder.com

AliR3470 (3236)
3/2/2007 5:38:38 PM
> You know what I just realized after rereading what I wrote.  These are only
> complaints that a VC++ developer would have. Lets face it why would a C# guy
> need a classwizard.  How many C# guys do you know that would complain about
> the fact that they have to put the cursor in the class definition to get the
> Events, Messages and Overrides to show up.

Most developers (C++/C#) dont care about the wizard mainly because
there are tools like Visual Assist (C++) and Resharper(C#) which makes
classwizard redundant and woefully out of date. I have been using
VS2005 with C# now for six months now. My experience with it can be
summarized by comparing VS2005 to VC5 and before. I am not going to
list the problems here as MSFT has been told about those thru our
company's contact. It very rare that a day goes by that VS2005 does
not crash for us or requires a restart. Sometimes this is done every
few minutes. This is not C++ but the managed  portion related to the
designer. SP1 did not help either. We will wait for SP2 and see if its
any better.  For me personally, VC6 with all the SPs was a far far
superior dev environment than any of the follow ups.

---
Ajay

0
ajaykalra (6842)
3/2/2007 6:47:50 PM
Hi Ali,

I used to lament the loss of ClassWizard, but these days I don't miss it so
much.  I mostly add things ClassWizard did by hand (which isn't much an
excuse I know).  The thing I don't like is when I add a new Event Handler it
goes to the code rather than allowing me to add another one like ClassWizard
did.  I tend to like to add all the functions and variables first then go
fill in the code.  It's not such a big deal though.

I think VS2005 runs slower on Vista, but I'm not sure if it is Vista's fault
or the fault of the SP for Vista update to 2005.  Lot's of things are slower
on Vista so perhaps that's an artifact of the new OS.  My system has two
XEON 3GHz processors and 1GB of memory so I think it should be able to run
Vista OK, but I've been kind of disappointed in the speed.  The UI is
great... oh wait, we're not talking about Vista are we <slap>

Tom

"AliR (VC++ MVP)" <AliR@online.nospam> wrote in message
> Since I won't make it to the summit I guess this is my only chance to be
> heard. :)
> I haven't used VS2005 that much.  I am still using VS2003 at work.
>
> But here is what I have in the little time I spent playing with it:
>
> 1. I liked the fact that at VS2003 would switch to the task list at the
> end of a build.  Wish VS2005 would switch to the error list automatically.
> And yes by default I want to see Errors and Warnings.
> 2. The output window is too cluttered after a build. A little bit of white
> space never hurt anyone.
> 3. One word (maybe two depending on how you look at it) ClassWizard!!!
> (And Orcas didn't not make things any better in this department). I loved
> the one stop shop of attaching variables to controls and handling messages
> in VS6.
> 4. With the current way of going through the Property Window to override
> methods, and catch messages, I hate the fact that I have to put the mouse
> in specific location in the class implementation (like the Message map) to
> be able to access that functionality.  At least in 2003 you could do it
> from anywhere within that class.
> 5. VS6.0 had hot key for iterating through the find in file results. The
> same way F8 iterates the error list.
>
> You know what I just realized after rereading what I wrote.  These are
> only complaints that a VC++ developer would have. Lets face it why would a
> C# guy need a classwizard.  How many C# guys do you know that would
> complain about the fact that they have to put the cursor in the class
> definition to get the Events, Messages and Overrides to show up.
>
> You guys have heard about Cingular charging TDMA customers an extra
> $5/month in order to force them to go in and change their phones to the
> new GSM phones, just because they didn't want to keep up with two
> different networks.  I think Microsoft is doing that to us. They are going
> to make VC++ development so tedious and difficult that we would have to
> abandon it sooner or later and switch to C#. :)
>
> AliR.
>
> "Joseph M. Newcomer" <newcomer@flounder.com> wrote in message
>> At the upcoming MVP Summit, we get a chance to give feedback directly to
>> Microsoft about
>> VS.  I have my own list of all the problems of VS.NET/2005, but if you
>> have your own
>> favorite issues (bugs, poor interfaces, etc.) post your comments in this
>> thread, and I'll
>> do my best to see that the comments are presented.  I will probably
>> summarize them but I
>> will also collect the original postings and present those as well.  So
>> here's a chance to
>> be heard!  I'll do what I can to convey all your concerns.
>> joe
>> Joseph M. Newcomer [MVP]
>> email: newcomer@flounder.com
>> Web: http://www.flounder.com

tom.nospam (3240)
3/2/2007 6:51:15 PM
Hi Ajay,

I live in VS all day (doing C++ still) and I very seldom experience any
problems.  Maybe you need to do a reinstall or something?  Or, maybe our
team has just been lucky.  You'd have to pay me a lot of money to go back to
6.0.

Tom

> Most developers (C++/C#) dont care about the wizard mainly because
> there are tools like Visual Assist (C++) and Resharper(C#) which makes
> classwizard redundant and woefully out of date. I have been using
> VS2005 with C# now for six months now. My experience with it can be
> summarized by comparing VS2005 to VC5 and before. I am not going to
> list the problems here as MSFT has been told about those thru our
> company's contact. It very rare that a day goes by that VS2005 does
> not crash for us or requires a restart. Sometimes this is done every
> few minutes. This is not C++ but the managed  portion related to the
> designer. SP1 did not help either. We will wait for SP2 and see if its
> any better.  For me personally, VC6 with all the SPs was a far far
> superior dev environment than any of the follow ups.
>

> ---
> Ajay

0
tom.nospam (3240)
3/2/2007 6:54:39 PM
> I live in VS all day (doing C++ still) and I very seldom experience any
> problems.  Maybe you need to do a reinstall or something?  Or, maybe our
> team has just been lucky.  You'd have to pay me a lot of money to go back to
> 6.0.

Its not native C++ but designer loading managed assemblies and  puking
out. With C++, it wasnt bad, although STL debugging added a lot of
overhead and there was no switch to turn it off (I think its a very
big deal).

---
Ajay

0
ajaykalra (6842)
3/2/2007 7:03:04 PM
> excuse I know).  The thing I don't like is when I add a new Event Handler
> it goes to the code rather than allowing me to add another one like
> ClassWizard did.  I tend to like to add all the functions and variables
> first then go fill in the code.  It's not such a big deal though.

Hi Tom,

I think they fixed this in Orcas.  But still when I create a dialog I like
to add all the variables and events handlers that know I need right of the
bat before I go filling in the code.  Now I have to do alot of tabbing back
and forth. Try doing that for something that has 20+ controls that you need
variables for and event handlers for.  There are times that I do it by hand
(cut and paste mostly) but classwizard was nice for adding variables and
event handlers.

AliR.

0
AliR3470 (3236)
3/2/2007 7:09:09 PM
Hi Ajay,

I looked at Visual Assist http://wholetomato.com/default.asp
But I couldn't find a functionality that would let me do things that the
classwizard use to let me do.  Attach variables to control on dialogs, and
event handling.

Am I missing something?

By the way, are you a living example of microsoft forcing us to abandon
VC++? ;)

AliR.

>> You know what I just realized after rereading what I wrote.  These are
>> only
>> complaints that a VC++ developer would have. Lets face it why would a C#
>> guy
>> need a classwizard.  How many C# guys do you know that would complain
>> about
>> the fact that they have to put the cursor in the class definition to get
>> the
>> Events, Messages and Overrides to show up.
>
> Most developers (C++/C#) dont care about the wizard mainly because
> there are tools like Visual Assist (C++) and Resharper(C#) which makes
> classwizard redundant and woefully out of date. I have been using
> VS2005 with C# now for six months now. My experience with it can be
> summarized by comparing VS2005 to VC5 and before. I am not going to
> list the problems here as MSFT has been told about those thru our
> company's contact. It very rare that a day goes by that VS2005 does
> not crash for us or requires a restart. Sometimes this is done every
> few minutes. This is not C++ but the managed  portion related to the
> designer. SP1 did not help either. We will wait for SP2 and see if its
> any better.  For me personally, VC6 with all the SPs was a far far
> superior dev environment than any of the follow ups.
>

> ---
> Ajay

0
AliR3470 (3236)
3/2/2007 7:13:21 PM
Quite a few glitches and usability issues as well as poor performance.

I am working on a project that combines native and managed C++ and C#.

1. Debugging code that has both versions of C++ is a nightmare. Stepping
through one line takes 10 seconds.

2. Say, you have a class header and source files:

// X.h
class X
{
public:
  void Y( int Z );
};

// X.cpp
void X::Y( int Z )
{
}

You want to debug it and step into void X::Y( int Z ). You want to watch the
variable Z. It'll only work if you have void X::Y() declared and described
EXACTLY as above. You CAN NOT describe it in the header like you could in
previous versions, for instance:

void Y( int ); // omit the variable name.
or
void Y( int L ); // use a different name in a declaration than in the
definition.

In this case VC2005 will just output "Exception: Can not evaluate ..." in
the watch window.

Why this is a problem: tons of legacy code that must be debugged every once
in a while. It was OK to follow the old syntax 10 years ago. It's not OK
now. We have to re-define thousands of classes just to be able to debug.

3. You can't copy just values from the watch window. It copies the entire
line that includes the watched variable name and its value. For instance I
need to copy just the value of a pointer and paste it into the Memory
window. No chance. Have to type the memory location by hand.

Oh well, I can go on and on... I am using "Team Edition" at work. The
"Professional" edition that I use at home works a lot better, and I have an
older machine there too.

> At the upcoming MVP Summit, we get a chance to give feedback directly to
> Microsoft about
> VS.  I have my own list of all the problems of VS.NET/2005, but if you
> have your own
> favorite issues (bugs, poor interfaces, etc.) post your comments in this
> thread, and I'll
> do my best to see that the comments are presented.  I will probably
> summarize them but I
> will also collect the original postings and present those as well.  So
> here's a chance to
> be heard!  I'll do what I can to convey all your concerns.
> joe
> Joseph M. Newcomer [MVP]
> email: newcomer@flounder.com
> Web: http://www.flounder.com

I love their "auto formatting" feature that works great in C# and Java. But
why didn't they extend it to C++? To keep C++ developers sharp and
disciplined?

> At the upcoming MVP Summit, we get a chance to give feedback directly to
> Microsoft about
> VS.  I have my own list of all the problems of VS.NET/2005, but if you
> have your own
> favorite issues (bugs, poor interfaces, etc.) post your comments in this
> thread, and I'll
> do my best to see that the comments are presented.  I will probably
> summarize them but I
> will also collect the original postings and present those as well.  So
> here's a chance to
> be heard!  I'll do what I can to convey all your concerns.
> joe
> Joseph M. Newcomer [MVP]
> email: newcomer@flounder.com
> Web: http://www.flounder.com

Can't argue with that logic :o)

> Hi Tom,
>
> I think they fixed this in Orcas.  But still when I create a dialog I like
> to add all the variables and events handlers that know I need right of the
> bat before I go filling in the code.  Now I have to do alot of tabbing
> back and forth. Try doing that for something that has 20+ controls that
> you need variables for and event handlers for.  There are times that I do
> it by hand (cut and paste mostly) but classwizard was nice for adding
> variables and event handlers.
>
> AliR.

0
tom.nospam (3240)
> Most developers (C++/C#) dont care about the wizard mainly because
> there are tools like Visual Assist (C++) and Resharper(C#) which makes
> classwizard redundant and woefully out of date. I have been using
> VS2005 with C# now for six months now.

I've been using Visual Assist for several years (great stuff, especially the
new refactoring), but view it as a complement to instead of a replacement of
Class Wizard (or rather Class View).  The Class View is the only way to add
stuff to the .idl file for COM objects, for example.

-- David (MVP)

0
dc2983 (3206)
3/2/2007 8:15:19 PM
> I've been using Visual Assist for several years (great stuff, especially the
> new refactoring), but view it as a complement to instead of a replacement of
> Class Wizard (or rather Class View).  The Class View is the only way to add
> stuff to the .idl file for COM objects, for example.

Anything COM related and you are out of luck with VA. When I was doing
IDL creation, I always edited stuff by hand. In fact, I almost *never*
used class wizard. It was always cut and paste from similar code. So I
never really  noticed that class wizard was gone untill people here
started mentioning it.

---
Ajay

0
ajaykalra (6842)
3/2/2007 8:29:26 PM
I still miss the VC6 Class Wizard.  But the problem is bigger than that:
I think the single best IDE improvement they could make would be to
completely replace the 'Properties' window that is used to add events
and messages and set control & dialog properties.  The damn thing just
requires too much navigating, scrolling and clicking to set simple things.

The constrained properties window layout makes it impossible for them to
adequately identify each setting and provide a suitable control for
changing it.  I.e., if I want to turn a style bit on/off I want to know
its name, and what's #define name is, and a reminder of what it does,
and if it is an on/off setting then I want a checkbox, if it is a 1-of-N
setting I want radio buttons, etc.

--
Scott McPhillips [VC++ MVP]

0
Scott
3/3/2007 2:45:06 PM
I don't like the way it just plonks generated code anywhere it likes and
#includes header files even when not needed (and with the wrong name - it
downshifts the filename).

Having markers in the code wasn't such a bad idea.

"AliR (VC++ MVP)" <AliR@online.nospam> wrote in message
>> excuse I know).  The thing I don't like is when I add a new Event Handler
>> it goes to the code rather than allowing me to add another one like
>> ClassWizard did.  I tend to like to add all the functions and variables
>> first then go fill in the code.  It's not such a big deal though.
>
> Hi Tom,
>
> I think they fixed this in Orcas.  But still when I create a dialog I like
> to add all the variables and events handlers that know I need right of the
> bat before I go filling in the code.  Now I have to do alot of tabbing
> back and forth. Try doing that for something that has 20+ controls that
> you need variables for and event handlers for.  There are times that I do
> it by hand (cut and paste mostly) but classwizard was nice for adding
> variables and event handlers.
>
> AliR.

0
anyone3666 (139)
3/3/2007 6:03:43 PM
The major problem, which MS will never be able to (or want to) fix, is
lumping everything into one big program.

VS 6.0 had some problems, but instead of improving it they replaced it. Now
you are forced to by a program which contains features you don't want. I had
to pay $900 (Australian) to upgrade to VS2005 from VS2003. Now there may be
features there that make this good value, but given that the full price is
$1300, I cant see 900/1300 percent of improvements.

I have used VS from way back (and prior to that Programmers Workbench), but
the huge cost enatailed in developing native C++ programs using VS, is
making a search for cheaper alternatives an attractive proposition.

> At the upcoming MVP Summit, we get a chance to give feedback directly to
> Microsoft about
> VS.  I have my own list of all the problems of VS.NET/2005, but if you
> have your own
> favorite issues (bugs, poor interfaces, etc.) post your comments in this
> thread, and I'll
> do my best to see that the comments are presented.  I will probably
> summarize them but I
> will also collect the original postings and present those as well.  So
> here's a chance to
> be heard!  I'll do what I can to convey all your concerns.
> joe
> Joseph M. Newcomer [MVP]
> email: newcomer@flounder.com
> Web: http://www.flounder.com

anyone3666 (139)

Money 2005 download not completing.
I just purchased Money2005 and downloaded from Microsoft. When trying to start the program the budget and reports sections will not finish downloading from the web. Anyone else have this problem? I am having the exact same problem. Think it may have something to do with Passport authentication. Notice I'm always in 'Offline' mode (File_Work Offline). "citeaux63" wrote: > I just purchased Money2005 and downloaded from Microsoft. When trying to > start the program the budget and reports sections will not finish downloading > from the web. Anyone else hav...

Time calculations for Scheduled vs Actual Employee Time and Wages 11-28-09
I am THRYING and TRYING to make a simple schedule worksheet for a manger to use to calculate the time he schedules an employee to clock in and out and what it will cost him in regards to his allocated budget and then to be able to compare it after the job is completed. BUT time calculations have thrown me for loop and I am stuck for hours on trying to calculate time fields. PLEASE DEAR GOD can someone help me. Below is a simple example of my worksheet. A2 (Time IN) = 1:00 PM A3 (Time OUT) = 5:00 PM A4 (Time Worked) = 4:00 (h:mm format) ...

Autonumber Workaround with SQL Server 2005 BE
I built a multi-user contacts application as a split Access database initially and then moved the back end to SQL Server 2005 using an ODBC connection. I implemented an AutoNumber workaround to avoid primary key collisions when users attempt to add records at the same time (probably borrowed from Allen Browne or Albert Kallal?) by setting the default value of the ContactID field = DMax("ContactID", "tblContacts") + 1 and trapping any duplicate key errors as follows: Private Sub Form_Error(DataErr As Integer, Response As Integer) On Error GoTo Err_Form_Error Resp...

Wrong labels print
When I print more than 1 different ILC using the label wizard it prints the correct total number of labels but all of then are the field-values for the first label in the list. example 3 OF Ilc 39725 and 2 of Ilc 39730 will print 5 of Ilc 39725 I have tried different Ilcs and have the same problem If I use a Avery Label it print OK. I'm running V 1.3.1002 on XPPro w/SQLEXpress The Eltron code is below ... 'BM_HangTag [INITIALIZE] N ZB Q278,20+0 R0,0 S1 D7 [LABEL] LO506,4,56,1 LO506,237,56,1 LO506,5,3,232 LO559,5,3,232 A200,190,3,4,2,1,R,"BETH MONE" A260,230,3,3,1,1...

Simple vs Full Mode
RMS 2.0 sp2 Sql server 2005 . We tried to change sql server databaser to simple mode from full mode. We then kept getting a open row set error.. We would prefer to run in simple mode to simplify recovery at store level to only last backup. Is this supported in RMS 2.0 sp2.. What is the reccommended standard for a store database : Recovery mode: Comaptiability level: This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_00E9_01CADD5F.72BEA9D0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="utf-8" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Max, Sim...

ASP.NET Caching XML
In the world of MSXML 4.0 - one of the techniques used was caching the DomDocument in the application cache with ASP. Updates made to individual nodes could occur concurrently. Is this still possible in .NET? Or is the a better design to use. Paul Jansz wrote: > In the world of MSXML 4.0 - one of the techniques used was caching the > DomDocument in the application cache with ASP. > Updates made to individual nodes could occur concurrently. > > Is this still possible in .NET? Or is the a better design to use. I believe the same goes for System.Xml.XmlDocument class of .NE...

UK Money 2005 Portfolio Valuation View is blank
I tried to customise the Porfolio Valuation view, which seems to have corrupted itself. It no longer displays any lines and just correctly displays the total in the blue area of the screen. On clicking Change Portfolio view | customise current view | Portfolio Culumns Tab shows that the Display column box is empty. Clicking on the reset to default button re-populates the box and saving does not rectify the problem. As no stocks are display going through the Change Portfolio view | customise current view | Portfolio Culumns Tab shows that the Display column box is again empty. How do I rectify...

Pub vs Word
Our group sends an 8 page newsletter consisting of articles and photos. We do it in Publisher 2000. We have been advised by a computer expert that we should do it in Word - 1) so that it can be emailed to those of our members with internet access and, 2) that we would have more room for articles, without boxes taking up space. I thought Publisher was expressly for such publications and had advantages over Word for layout etc. Should we change to Word? Can the newsletter be converted to Word when finished for those members with email and Word? After managing to set up OE-QuoteFix on ...

Mail-enabled contacts vs Administrative groups
Hi, Since my Exchange 2003 was switched to native mode I'm not able to select a administrative group where I want to create it. Is that normal? "Jocelyn" <thefreefly@gmail.com> wrote: >Since my Exchange 2003 was switched to native mode I'm not able to >select a administrative group where I want to create it. Is that >normal? Since those are just AD objects I'm not sure I understand why you care. When Exchange had its own directory the "site" owned a directory object. But Exchange doesn't have its own directory anymore. -- Rich Matheise...

generate .NET code from visio 2003
Hi ! How can i Generate .NET code from a UML made in visio 2003 ? I did searh the net and found this link but it says 404 ? http://msdnaa.net/Resources/Display.aspx?ResID=1949 the article title is Generating .NET Code Using Visio Enterprise Architect's UML So any one know how do that or any one have back up copy of this article Thanks which version of v2003 are you using. The EA version which comes with vs.net I believe has the process in the help facility. v2003 pro does not support forward engineering of uml... Al "Suhail Kaleem" <suhailkaleem@mailyoulike.com>...

ANN: nxslt.exe (.NET XSLT Command Line Utility) version 1.5
Hello! I'm glad to announce version 1.5 of the nxslt.exe - .NET XSLT command line utility. What is nxslt ------------- nxslt is a feature-rich command line utility that allows to perform XSL Transformations (XSLT) using .NET Framework's XSLT implementation - System.Xml.Xsl.XslTransform class. nxslt is compatible with command line options, provided by Microsoft's MSXSL.EXE Command Line Transformation Utility. In addition, nxslt has some distinct advanced features, like support for XInclude and XPointer, embedded stylesheets, custom URI resolving, multiple result documents, custom ...

Microsoft .NET Framework 3.0: x86 Dil Paketi (KB928416)
0x13EC hata kodunu veriyor ve kurulum gerçekleşmiyor. Microsoft .NET Framework 3.0: x86 Dil Paketi (KB928416) GÜNCELLEMESİNDE GERÇEKLEŞİYOR Gesundheit. CEZAR wrote: > Microsoft .NET Framework 3.0: x86 Dil Paketi (KB928416) GÜNCELLEMESİNDE > GERÇEKLEŞİYOR ...

32bit vs. 64bit Installations
We have a 32bit system (Win 2k3) running Exchange 2007. We are rapidly approaching the end of the trial and have purchased a key. It wont enter, I suspect, because we're not using x64. Therefore, two questions, 1) can we continue using 32bit version past the expiration date (read somewhere that we could). It will take us this long to get the 64bit version mobilised. 2) Whats the easiest way of migraing the data? If we use ntbackup (built in MS), can we just restore onto the new 64 bit system? Thanks - 32-bit versions are neither "licensed", nor supported in production. This ...

excel vs quattro
Is there a feature in excel that is the same as quattro's feature "Notebook query"? ...

Re: Extracting Top 5 & Bottom 5 Variance for Revenu/Expendenture & Net Position #2
Hi All, if i had coloumns that had the title Revenue, Expenditure & Ne Position & under neath these Headings a row for each Revenue Expendenture & Net Position called Actuals then Budget then Variance My Question is what i would like is to be able to only have the Top 5 Bottom 5 Variances in all 3 Headings Revenue, Expendenture & Ne Position. How can i achieve this please. Would appreciate all th help. Thank you. Also each time i try to insert an attachment in this lette being excel it comes up as failure, why is thi -- william444 ------------------------------------------...

Pivot Tables
What is the diffence between "Count Numbers" and "Count" in Pivot Tables? I am finding that "Count Numbers" in Pivot tables is like "Count" in formulas, and "Count" in Pivot tables is like "CountA" in formulas. Is this true? I think you have it! It's like what you find in the statusbar, too. RS wrote: > > What is the diffence between "Count Numbers" and "Count" in Pivot Tables? I > am finding that "Count Numbers" in Pivot tables is like "Count" in formulas, ...

Unable to set up on-line account
Missage I get when I try to connect to an on-line bank. I checked my internet connection and it's working. I'm able to open IE browser within Money 2005. Please help. --------------------------- Microsoft Money --------------------------- Money cannot complete a required online call at this time. Please check your Internet connection settings and try again. --------------------------- OK Another reference to M05, what's going on? Bal wrote: > Missage I get when I try to connect to an on-line bank. > I checked my internet connection and it's working. I'...

wpf attributes vs attached properties
This seems to be a normal problem with Microsoft. Not very consistant. I am not sure what the difference is between attributes vs attached properties, but in the case of orientation and panels - why not use the same style??? For example, for a stackpanel you use "Orientation" (Horizontal or Vertical). But with a Dock Panel you use "DockPanel.Dock" (Bottom, left...). Why not use "Dock" as an attribute??? Not a problem just that they could be more consistant in there styles. It just seems to be an issue with them. In Powerpoint, they use ...

Full Product Activation on Money 2005?
I recently received an email message from Microsoft. "We have recently attempted to charge your Microsoft Money 2005 Deluxe, Full Product Activation (one-time charge of $39.95 plus tax) to the credit card on file for your account. Please accept this reminder that your credit card has passed its expiration date and needs to be updated. The following credit card is the current payment method on your billing account: etc. I paid $59.95 for Money 2005 when I bought it last September. I was not aware that Money 2005 is a subscription. Is it? Thanks for your help. Greg Lord Not that an...

Interfaces and web services in .Net.
Can I specify a custom Interface as the return type for a web service in ..Net? I can see that you can't define ICollection as the return type but you can defined IList as the return type? Why is this? Cheers Jim ...

CRM 2005 Release Preview
I talked with a Microsoft pre-sales engineer on Friday and he sent me a PowerPoint slideshow with tons of info about what is planned for CRM 2005. You can download it from my blog. He assured me the slideshow was customer ready and said I could distribute it. The usual disclaimer applies: Nothing is guaranteed! There is also a timeline for release in the slideshow that shows it should be released in the 4th quarter of Microsoft's FY2005 (Microsoft's Fiscal Year runs July 1 through June 30) which would be in line with recent announcements. The slideshow looks like there will be ...

Win2003, SQL Server 2005 and GP 7.5
My server runs Win2003 Enterprise edition, SQL Server 2005 Standard edition with an Express instance. My new business associates have GP 7.5. Can I load Great Plains from their orignal CDs and successfully run newly entered data? Transfer existing data? Is there an update site that allows 7.5 to be current? Is there documentation posted somewhere covering this scenario? OR must I find an old computer on which to load Win2000 and SQL Server 2000? GP 7.5 will not be supported on SQL Server 2005. Only GP 8.0 sp4 and GP 9 will be supported on this version of SQL Server. You could lo...

VS 2008 Windows Forms project will not start
Hi I have created a new Windows Forms project in Visual Studio 2008 (SP1) - this is running on Windows XP Professional When I click the "Play/Start" button in the IDE to start the debugging of the project, the IDE responds by momentarily seemingly to start the project but then instantly terminates it without showing or loading the startup form. There are no compiler errors, no compiler warnings, and almost no code in the Project I have placed a break-point on both the New() of the form and the on the _Load event of the form and neither are hit. I have plac...

Money 2005 Credit Center Problem
After upgrading from 2004 Deluxe to 2005 Deluxe updating my credit info from Experian no longer works. It looks as though Money is trying to reference an invalid link: "?PID=[snip]" cannot be opened. Be sure to include the appropriate protocol header, etc. Is there a way to reset the Credit Center login info? This is a bug with upgraded 2004 files. You can create a new file to perform the signup and then just visit the experian web site to log in. -- ------------------------------------------- Joe Guidera jguidera@msn.com.remove <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com&g...

Need to fix MRP so that Net Change works rather than disable!
Net Change MRP should be standard functionlity in ANY MRP system. My understanding is that this feature was disabled for v8, v9 because other planning methods other than Explode and Plan did not function correctly/reliably in previous versions. Not only was it not fixed, it was disabled and not taken off the choice menu when running MRP (so that you always get an error message if you choose to run a Net Change MRP). If Great Plains wants to be taken seriously as a viable manufacturing package, MRP needs to be more flexible (more selction choices such as buyer codes, planner codes, ...