What's wrong with VS.NET/2005

At the upcoming MVP Summit, we get a chance to give feedback directly to Microsoft about
VS.  I have my own list of all the problems of VS.NET/2005, but if you have your own
favorite issues (bugs, poor interfaces, etc.) post your comments in this thread, and I'll
do my best to see that the comments are presented.  I will probably summarize them but I
will also collect the original postings and present those as well.  So here's a chance to
be heard!  I'll do what I can to convey all your concerns.
				joe
Joseph M. Newcomer [MVP]
email: newcomer@flounder.com
Web: http://www.flounder.com
newcomer (15975)
3/2/2007 3:59:13 PM
vc.mfc 33608 articles. 0 followers. Follow

Since I won't make it to the summit I guess this is my only chance to be
heard. :)
I haven't used VS2005 that much.  I am still using VS2003 at work.

But here is what I have in the little time I spent playing with it:

1. I liked the fact that at VS2003 would switch to the task list at the end
of a build.  Wish VS2005 would switch to the error list automatically. And
yes by default I want to see Errors and Warnings.
2. The output window is too cluttered after a build. A little bit of white
space never hurt anyone.
3. One word (maybe two depending on how you look at it) ClassWizard!!! (And
Orcas didn't not make things any better in this department). I loved the one
stop shop of attaching variables to controls and handling messages in VS6.
4. With the current way of going through the Property Window to override
methods, and catch messages, I hate the fact that I have to put the mouse in
specific location in the class implementation (like the Message map) to be
able to access that functionality.  At least in 2003 you could do it from
anywhere within that class.
5. VS6.0 had hot key for iterating through the find in file results. The
same way F8 iterates the error list.

You know what I just realized after rereading what I wrote.  These are only
complaints that a VC++ developer would have. Lets face it why would a C# guy
need a classwizard.  How many C# guys do you know that would complain about
the fact that they have to put the cursor in the class definition to get the
Events, Messages and Overrides to show up.

You guys have heard about Cingular charging TDMA customers an extra $5/month
in order to force them to go in and change their phones to the new GSM
phones, just because they didn't want to keep up with two different
networks.  I think Microsoft is doing that to us. They are going to make
VC++ development so tedious and difficult that we would have to abandon it
sooner or later and switch to C#. :)

AliR.

> At the upcoming MVP Summit, we get a chance to give feedback directly to
> Microsoft about
> VS.  I have my own list of all the problems of VS.NET/2005, but if you
> have your own
> favorite issues (bugs, poor interfaces, etc.) post your comments in this
> thread, and I'll
> do my best to see that the comments are presented.  I will probably
> summarize them but I
> will also collect the original postings and present those as well.  So
> here's a chance to
> be heard!  I'll do what I can to convey all your concerns.
> joe
> Joseph M. Newcomer [MVP]
> email: newcomer@flounder.com
> Web: http://www.flounder.com

AliR3470 (3236)
3/2/2007 5:38:38 PM
> You know what I just realized after rereading what I wrote.  These are only
> complaints that a VC++ developer would have. Lets face it why would a C# guy
> need a classwizard.  How many C# guys do you know that would complain about
> the fact that they have to put the cursor in the class definition to get the
> Events, Messages and Overrides to show up.

Most developers (C++/C#) dont care about the wizard mainly because
there are tools like Visual Assist (C++) and Resharper(C#) which makes
classwizard redundant and woefully out of date. I have been using
VS2005 with C# now for six months now. My experience with it can be
summarized by comparing VS2005 to VC5 and before. I am not going to
list the problems here as MSFT has been told about those thru our
company's contact. It very rare that a day goes by that VS2005 does
not crash for us or requires a restart. Sometimes this is done every
few minutes. This is not C++ but the managed  portion related to the
designer. SP1 did not help either. We will wait for SP2 and see if its
any better.  For me personally, VC6 with all the SPs was a far far
superior dev environment than any of the follow ups.

---
Ajay

0
ajaykalra (6842)
3/2/2007 6:47:50 PM
Hi Ali,

I used to lament the loss of ClassWizard, but these days I don't miss it so
much.  I mostly add things ClassWizard did by hand (which isn't much an
excuse I know).  The thing I don't like is when I add a new Event Handler it
goes to the code rather than allowing me to add another one like ClassWizard
did.  I tend to like to add all the functions and variables first then go
fill in the code.  It's not such a big deal though.

I think VS2005 runs slower on Vista, but I'm not sure if it is Vista's fault
or the fault of the SP for Vista update to 2005.  Lot's of things are slower
on Vista so perhaps that's an artifact of the new OS.  My system has two
XEON 3GHz processors and 1GB of memory so I think it should be able to run
Vista OK, but I've been kind of disappointed in the speed.  The UI is
great... oh wait, we're not talking about Vista are we <slap>

Tom

"AliR (VC++ MVP)" <AliR@online.nospam> wrote in message
> Since I won't make it to the summit I guess this is my only chance to be
> heard. :)
> I haven't used VS2005 that much.  I am still using VS2003 at work.
>
> But here is what I have in the little time I spent playing with it:
>
> 1. I liked the fact that at VS2003 would switch to the task list at the
> end of a build.  Wish VS2005 would switch to the error list automatically.
> And yes by default I want to see Errors and Warnings.
> 2. The output window is too cluttered after a build. A little bit of white
> space never hurt anyone.
> 3. One word (maybe two depending on how you look at it) ClassWizard!!!
> (And Orcas didn't not make things any better in this department). I loved
> the one stop shop of attaching variables to controls and handling messages
> in VS6.
> 4. With the current way of going through the Property Window to override
> methods, and catch messages, I hate the fact that I have to put the mouse
> in specific location in the class implementation (like the Message map) to
> be able to access that functionality.  At least in 2003 you could do it
> from anywhere within that class.
> 5. VS6.0 had hot key for iterating through the find in file results. The
> same way F8 iterates the error list.
>
> You know what I just realized after rereading what I wrote.  These are
> only complaints that a VC++ developer would have. Lets face it why would a
> C# guy need a classwizard.  How many C# guys do you know that would
> complain about the fact that they have to put the cursor in the class
> definition to get the Events, Messages and Overrides to show up.
>
> You guys have heard about Cingular charging TDMA customers an extra
> $5/month in order to force them to go in and change their phones to the
> new GSM phones, just because they didn't want to keep up with two
> different networks.  I think Microsoft is doing that to us. They are going
> to make VC++ development so tedious and difficult that we would have to
> abandon it sooner or later and switch to C#. :)
>
> AliR.
>
> "Joseph M. Newcomer" <newcomer@flounder.com> wrote in message
>> At the upcoming MVP Summit, we get a chance to give feedback directly to
>> Microsoft about
>> VS.  I have my own list of all the problems of VS.NET/2005, but if you
>> have your own
>> favorite issues (bugs, poor interfaces, etc.) post your comments in this
>> thread, and I'll
>> do my best to see that the comments are presented.  I will probably
>> summarize them but I
>> will also collect the original postings and present those as well.  So
>> here's a chance to
>> be heard!  I'll do what I can to convey all your concerns.
>> joe
>> Joseph M. Newcomer [MVP]
>> email: newcomer@flounder.com
>> Web: http://www.flounder.com

tom.nospam (3240)
3/2/2007 6:51:15 PM
Hi Ajay,

I live in VS all day (doing C++ still) and I very seldom experience any
problems.  Maybe you need to do a reinstall or something?  Or, maybe our
team has just been lucky.  You'd have to pay me a lot of money to go back to
6.0.

Tom

> Most developers (C++/C#) dont care about the wizard mainly because
> there are tools like Visual Assist (C++) and Resharper(C#) which makes
> classwizard redundant and woefully out of date. I have been using
> VS2005 with C# now for six months now. My experience with it can be
> summarized by comparing VS2005 to VC5 and before. I am not going to
> list the problems here as MSFT has been told about those thru our
> company's contact. It very rare that a day goes by that VS2005 does
> not crash for us or requires a restart. Sometimes this is done every
> few minutes. This is not C++ but the managed  portion related to the
> designer. SP1 did not help either. We will wait for SP2 and see if its
> any better.  For me personally, VC6 with all the SPs was a far far
> superior dev environment than any of the follow ups.
>

> ---
> Ajay

0
tom.nospam (3240)
3/2/2007 6:54:39 PM
> I live in VS all day (doing C++ still) and I very seldom experience any
> problems.  Maybe you need to do a reinstall or something?  Or, maybe our
> team has just been lucky.  You'd have to pay me a lot of money to go back to
> 6.0.

Its not native C++ but designer loading managed assemblies and  puking
out. With C++, it wasnt bad, although STL debugging added a lot of
overhead and there was no switch to turn it off (I think its a very
big deal).

---
Ajay

0
ajaykalra (6842)
3/2/2007 7:03:04 PM
> excuse I know).  The thing I don't like is when I add a new Event Handler
> it goes to the code rather than allowing me to add another one like
> ClassWizard did.  I tend to like to add all the functions and variables
> first then go fill in the code.  It's not such a big deal though.

Hi Tom,

I think they fixed this in Orcas.  But still when I create a dialog I like
to add all the variables and events handlers that know I need right of the
bat before I go filling in the code.  Now I have to do alot of tabbing back
and forth. Try doing that for something that has 20+ controls that you need
variables for and event handlers for.  There are times that I do it by hand
(cut and paste mostly) but classwizard was nice for adding variables and
event handlers.

AliR.

0
AliR3470 (3236)
3/2/2007 7:09:09 PM
Hi Ajay,

I looked at Visual Assist http://wholetomato.com/default.asp
But I couldn't find a functionality that would let me do things that the
classwizard use to let me do.  Attach variables to control on dialogs, and
event handling.

Am I missing something?

By the way, are you a living example of microsoft forcing us to abandon
VC++? ;)

AliR.

>> You know what I just realized after rereading what I wrote.  These are
>> only
>> complaints that a VC++ developer would have. Lets face it why would a C#
>> guy
>> need a classwizard.  How many C# guys do you know that would complain
>> about
>> the fact that they have to put the cursor in the class definition to get
>> the
>> Events, Messages and Overrides to show up.
>
> Most developers (C++/C#) dont care about the wizard mainly because
> there are tools like Visual Assist (C++) and Resharper(C#) which makes
> classwizard redundant and woefully out of date. I have been using
> VS2005 with C# now for six months now. My experience with it can be
> summarized by comparing VS2005 to VC5 and before. I am not going to
> list the problems here as MSFT has been told about those thru our
> company's contact. It very rare that a day goes by that VS2005 does
> not crash for us or requires a restart. Sometimes this is done every
> few minutes. This is not C++ but the managed  portion related to the
> designer. SP1 did not help either. We will wait for SP2 and see if its
> any better.  For me personally, VC6 with all the SPs was a far far
> superior dev environment than any of the follow ups.
>

> ---
> Ajay

0
AliR3470 (3236)
3/2/2007 7:13:21 PM
Quite a few glitches and usability issues as well as poor performance.

I am working on a project that combines native and managed C++ and C#.

1. Debugging code that has both versions of C++ is a nightmare. Stepping
through one line takes 10 seconds.

2. Say, you have a class header and source files:

// X.h
class X
{
public:
  void Y( int Z );
};

// X.cpp
void X::Y( int Z )
{
}

You want to debug it and step into void X::Y( int Z ). You want to watch the
variable Z. It'll only work if you have void X::Y() declared and described
EXACTLY as above. You CAN NOT describe it in the header like you could in
previous versions, for instance:

void Y( int ); // omit the variable name.
or
void Y( int L ); // use a different name in a declaration than in the
definition.

In this case VC2005 will just output "Exception: Can not evaluate ..." in
the watch window.

Why this is a problem: tons of legacy code that must be debugged every once
in a while. It was OK to follow the old syntax 10 years ago. It's not OK
now. We have to re-define thousands of classes just to be able to debug.

3. You can't copy just values from the watch window. It copies the entire
line that includes the watched variable name and its value. For instance I
need to copy just the value of a pointer and paste it into the Memory
window. No chance. Have to type the memory location by hand.

Oh well, I can go on and on... I am using "Team Edition" at work. The
"Professional" edition that I use at home works a lot better, and I have an
older machine there too.

> At the upcoming MVP Summit, we get a chance to give feedback directly to
> Microsoft about
> VS.  I have my own list of all the problems of VS.NET/2005, but if you
> have your own
> favorite issues (bugs, poor interfaces, etc.) post your comments in this
> thread, and I'll
> do my best to see that the comments are presented.  I will probably
> summarize them but I
> will also collect the original postings and present those as well.  So
> here's a chance to
> be heard!  I'll do what I can to convey all your concerns.
> joe
> Joseph M. Newcomer [MVP]
> email: newcomer@flounder.com
> Web: http://www.flounder.com

I love their "auto formatting" feature that works great in C# and Java. But
why didn't they extend it to C++? To keep C++ developers sharp and
disciplined?

> At the upcoming MVP Summit, we get a chance to give feedback directly to
> Microsoft about
> VS.  I have my own list of all the problems of VS.NET/2005, but if you
> have your own
> favorite issues (bugs, poor interfaces, etc.) post your comments in this
> thread, and I'll
> do my best to see that the comments are presented.  I will probably
> summarize them but I
> will also collect the original postings and present those as well.  So
> here's a chance to
> be heard!  I'll do what I can to convey all your concerns.
> joe
> Joseph M. Newcomer [MVP]
> email: newcomer@flounder.com
> Web: http://www.flounder.com

Can't argue with that logic :o)

> Hi Tom,
>
> I think they fixed this in Orcas.  But still when I create a dialog I like
> to add all the variables and events handlers that know I need right of the
> bat before I go filling in the code.  Now I have to do alot of tabbing
> back and forth. Try doing that for something that has 20+ controls that
> you need variables for and event handlers for.  There are times that I do
> it by hand (cut and paste mostly) but classwizard was nice for adding
> variables and event handlers.
>
> AliR.

0
tom.nospam (3240)
> Most developers (C++/C#) dont care about the wizard mainly because
> there are tools like Visual Assist (C++) and Resharper(C#) which makes
> classwizard redundant and woefully out of date. I have been using
> VS2005 with C# now for six months now.

I've been using Visual Assist for several years (great stuff, especially the
new refactoring), but view it as a complement to instead of a replacement of
Class Wizard (or rather Class View).  The Class View is the only way to add
stuff to the .idl file for COM objects, for example.

-- David (MVP)

0
dc2983 (3206)
3/2/2007 8:15:19 PM
> I've been using Visual Assist for several years (great stuff, especially the
> new refactoring), but view it as a complement to instead of a replacement of
> Class Wizard (or rather Class View).  The Class View is the only way to add
> stuff to the .idl file for COM objects, for example.

Anything COM related and you are out of luck with VA. When I was doing
IDL creation, I always edited stuff by hand. In fact, I almost *never*
used class wizard. It was always cut and paste from similar code. So I
never really  noticed that class wizard was gone untill people here
started mentioning it.

---
Ajay

0
ajaykalra (6842)
3/2/2007 8:29:26 PM
I still miss the VC6 Class Wizard.  But the problem is bigger than that:
I think the single best IDE improvement they could make would be to
completely replace the 'Properties' window that is used to add events
and messages and set control & dialog properties.  The damn thing just
requires too much navigating, scrolling and clicking to set simple things.

The constrained properties window layout makes it impossible for them to
adequately identify each setting and provide a suitable control for
changing it.  I.e., if I want to turn a style bit on/off I want to know
its name, and what's #define name is, and a reminder of what it does,
and if it is an on/off setting then I want a checkbox, if it is a 1-of-N
setting I want radio buttons, etc.

--
Scott McPhillips [VC++ MVP]

0
Scott
3/3/2007 2:45:06 PM
I don't like the way it just plonks generated code anywhere it likes and
#includes header files even when not needed (and with the wrong name - it
downshifts the filename).

Having markers in the code wasn't such a bad idea.

"AliR (VC++ MVP)" <AliR@online.nospam> wrote in message
>> excuse I know).  The thing I don't like is when I add a new Event Handler
>> it goes to the code rather than allowing me to add another one like
>> ClassWizard did.  I tend to like to add all the functions and variables
>> first then go fill in the code.  It's not such a big deal though.
>
> Hi Tom,
>
> I think they fixed this in Orcas.  But still when I create a dialog I like
> to add all the variables and events handlers that know I need right of the
> bat before I go filling in the code.  Now I have to do alot of tabbing
> back and forth. Try doing that for something that has 20+ controls that
> you need variables for and event handlers for.  There are times that I do
> it by hand (cut and paste mostly) but classwizard was nice for adding
> variables and event handlers.
>
> AliR.

0
anyone3666 (139)
3/3/2007 6:03:43 PM
The major problem, which MS will never be able to (or want to) fix, is
lumping everything into one big program.

VS 6.0 had some problems, but instead of improving it they replaced it. Now
you are forced to by a program which contains features you don't want. I had
to pay $900 (Australian) to upgrade to VS2005 from VS2003. Now there may be
features there that make this good value, but given that the full price is
$1300, I cant see 900/1300 percent of improvements.

I have used VS from way back (and prior to that Programmers Workbench), but
the huge cost enatailed in developing native C++ programs using VS, is
making a search for cheaper alternatives an attractive proposition.

> At the upcoming MVP Summit, we get a chance to give feedback directly to
> Microsoft about
> VS.  I have my own list of all the problems of VS.NET/2005, but if you
> have your own
> favorite issues (bugs, poor interfaces, etc.) post your comments in this
> thread, and I'll
> do my best to see that the comments are presented.  I will probably
> summarize them but I
> will also collect the original postings and present those as well.  So
> here's a chance to
> be heard!  I'll do what I can to convey all your concerns.
> joe
> Joseph M. Newcomer [MVP]
> email: newcomer@flounder.com
> Web: http://www.flounder.com

anyone3666 (139)

Has anyone converted an MS Access VBA project to .Net?
I am looking for any information regarding the conversion of an MS Access VBA project with backend of Oracle to either Visual Basic or VB.Net. Has anyone done any conversion like this and if so, do they have any recommendations, issues to share? Thanks! ...

Pocket Money 2005 Is Available Now
For those of you who have been asking about the latest version of Pocket Money, the 2005 version is available for download now at: http://www.microsoft.com/money/addons.mspx It is fully compatable with Microsoft Money 2005 Standard, Deluxe, Premium, and Small Business Edition. Thanks, Ken Mattson MVP This is what I got when I went to the site this afternoon. Has it been recalled already? Microsoft Money for Windows Mobile-based Pocket PCs is coming soon! Pierre Aterianus "Ken Mattson" <kmattson@microsoft.com> wrote in message news:dttld.41461$QJ3.2947@newssvr21....

Merging XML Documents (with ADO.NET?)
I have got 2 XML documents, both of which conform to the same XSD Schema, which define possible optional elements. The 2 XML documents contain 2 disjoint set of XML elements. What is the best, easiest, most efficient way of merging the 2 XML Documents? Can I use DataSet.Merge() facility in ADO.NET?? Any pre-requisites? Any other suggestions? Patrick, Can you provide an example of each XML document? Its not clear to me how the schema can be the same if each XML document has different sets of XML elements. Also, you didn't indicate what you wanted to do after merging the XML ...

.NET access not working
Hey everyone. I can get into hotmail and my MSN account information but not money using my .NET name and password! This is VERY wierd. Has this happened to anyone?! I am using Money 2003. Any help is very appreciated! Jose I have exactly the same experience with money 2004. It started last week and I'm pretty tired of it. Mark >-----Original Message----- >Hey everyone. > >I can get into hotmail and my MSN account information but >not money using my .NET name and password! This is VERY >wierd. Has this happened to anyone?! I am using Money >2003. A...

Columns on wrong side
When I open a book in excel, why is column A in Excel on the right side of the sheets, meaning it looks like this: P-O-N-M-L-K-J-I-H-G-F-E-D-C-B-A How do I change it to look the normal way from left to right when I open a new book in excel? Hi Seems you have set Excel to read from Right to Left - as is done in Arabic language. To set it right Go to menu Tools->Options Choose the International Tab In Right-to-Left Default direction choose Left-to-Right The order of column will be A-B ... Regards Sukhjeet "Drew" wrote: > When I open a book in excel, why is column A in Exce...

Money 2005
In Money 2004 there was a lot of flexability in the information displayed for individual stocks in a portfolio. I have been unable to find much flexability in the display of stock info in Money 2005. For example in Money 2004 I had the number of shares of a particular stock multiplied by the change in the stocks value for that day to arrive at the dollar amount of change in a particular stock. I can't seem to find this ability in Money 2005. Can you help? In microsoft.public.money, jwd wrote: >In Money 2004 there was a lot of flexability in the information displayed for >i...

What am I doing wrong? (Protecting forms)
Hi, I'm doing something wrong and I can't figure out what. I created a form (like I've done many times before) and I'm trying to protect it but when the Protect Form pane comes up, I check the box that says "Allow only this type of editing in document:" and I select "Filling in forms" from the drop down list. Normally, the "Yes, Start Enforcing Protection" button becomes active and I would then select it but it's grayed out as is the the lock on the Forms toolbar. This has happened to me once before and I had to start over wi...

Error: Value in Formula of wrong data type
I have a worksheet that uses custom formulas on several inputs from that page. I've used it for a while and never had a problem, but made some changes elsewhere in the worksheet (not linked to this part) and now on many of the cells using these formulas, I get a '#VALUE!' error, stating 'Value in Formula of wrong data type.' The data type is the same it has always been, so I don't know why it's not working now (formula just uses if thens to compare different numbers and return values like 0, 1, or 2). What's even more perplexing is that several ...

Default Printer-Wrong Printer
Is there a way to change the printer automatically on a per application basis. Our default printer is a HP LJ 6, However 2 users also need to have access to another printer (check printer). When they are in Great Plains they will only be printing to check printer. They keep forgetting to change it from file/print and printing on the wrong printer. Also I do not need to change the default printer(hplj6) this most stay as is. Is there a regkey i can invoke or script to launch when they start GreatPlains they will change the printer to checkprinter. Now when ever they reboot and sta...

2003 Imports to wrong fields
When I import a QIF statement from my bank(s), money imports the narrative field into the 'Memo' field. That may sound correct, but both of my banks use the Narrative to store the name of the Payee and as such I would like to change the way money imports the file. Does anyone have any ideas that would enable me to import the Narrative field from my banks into the Payee field in Money 2003? In microsoft.public.money, Tim wrote: >When I import a QIF statement from my bank(s), money >imports the narrative field into the 'Memo' field. That >may sound correct, ...

richcopy vs robcopy
any one has experience using both richcopy and robocopy http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/magazine/2009.04.utilityspotlight.aspx is the richcopy really that much better than robocopy gui on vista or win7? On 26 May 2010, "GS" <gsmsnews.microsoft.comGS@msnews.Nomail.com> wrote in microsoft.public.windows.vista.general: > any one has experience using both richcopy and robocopy > http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/magazine/2009.04.utilityspotligh > t.aspx is the richcopy really that much better than robocopy gui > on vista or win7? Richcopy is to...

oups wrong email
I use my address book a lot. Seeing that a few of my contacts have 3 or 4 cards (differents company, fonction, category...) The only thing that doesn't change is the address, fax number or phone (same on every card) So when I get a change I have to modifie all the cards. Do you know how to "link" the cards so the change is done automaticly? Thank in advance ...

Discount vs Sale Pricing
Need option for displayed price to be based on lower of customer discount or sale price, but not both. For example, currently I have item XYZ on sale for $70 (reg. price = $100). I have customer 'Jim' who has 30% discount automatically set-up in the customer database. When Jim buys XYZ, the price that gets rung-up is $49. I was expecting $70 (i.e. the lowest price considering either the sale price or customer discount, but not customer discount on top of sale price). I've tried all kinds of options using the 'Discount' tab, but it appears the software doesn't...

making changes using VB.NET
Thanks very mach for your help :) Now I have another problem , I have xml database, and need to make changes in specific data. I can successfuly find the wanted node using XmlNodeReader but then I have problem : How can I convert it to the type (xmlWriter or something else) to make the change in the data (for example to change the price of product). Thanks in advance :) -- Message posted via http://www.dotnetmonster.com ...

calculate net income i.e. revenues (-) expenses in a pivot table
Hello, I need to calculate net income i.e. revenues (-) expenses in a pivot table. My source data is all positive amounts. I do have a field that identifies the amount as a Revenue or Expense. Source fields are: 1.. month/yr 2. Section 3.GL Number 4.GL Line item description 5.$_amount 6 Rev_Exp _ID Once the pivot table is setup how can I get a TOTAL calculation that is revenues (-) expenses by Section by month/Yr? Column fields are: Month/Yr Row fields are: Section, GL Number, GL line item description, Rev_Exp_ID Data is Sum of $_amount. Thanks JB. Try creating a &#...

mfc class wizard problem on visual studio 2005
hi, all I found a problem of mfc class wizards (VS2005 with SP1). If a class doesn't inherit a MFC class *directly*, e.g. it inherit a class which inherit a well-known MFC class directly, you can only add message handlers by hand. And when you open the properties window of the class, you see the "Events", "Messages" and "Overrides" window are empty. For example: 1. create a new MFC class CMyDoc based on CDocument firstly. 2. create a second MFC class CMyDocEx based on CDocument. Because the wizards limit the base class to the well-known MFC class. 3...

SQL Server 2005: SELECT INTO & pass-through query
Hi I often use pass-throgh queries to get data from external sources - something like following example: ---------------------------------------------- Use MyDaytabase -- Declaring variables DECLARE @SQLString varchar(max) DECLARE @OpenQuery varchar(max) DECLARE @LinkedServer varchar(max) -- Declaring table variables DECLARE @Q1 TABLE( id INTEGER, Field1 DATETIME, Field2 VARCHAR(50), Field3 INTEGER) -- Setting variables SET @LinkedServer = 'MyLinkedServer' SET @OpenQuery = 'SELECT * FROM OPENQUERY(' + @LinkedServer +',''' -- Co...

Publisher just started printing wrong colors
This problem just started today, and only when using Publisher A deep blues sky is printing orange, and pink skin is printing light blue. I tried printing the jpg outside of Publisher, and it looks fine. I've changed the color scheme in Publisher to black, and black/grey, but that did nothing. I changed ink cartridges (both the black and the tri-color) and ran the HP utility to clean the print heads, all to no avail. Any suggestions? TIA What version Publisher? Publisher is more critical about printer drivers. Check with HP for an updated driver. They also have good support doc...

Outlook Express vs. Yahoo e-Mails?
Hi, Can anyone please tell me if it is possible to setup Outlook Express to send/receive from Yahoo webmail? -- Mazi This newsgroup is for support of Outlook 97-2003 from the Office family for Windows PCs. For Outlook Express (OE) support try posting in one of these newsgroups: microsoft.public.inetexplorer.ie4.outlookexpress for OE 4.x microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie5.outlookexpress for OE 5.x http://support.microsoft.com/newsgroups/default.aspx?ICP=GSS3&NewsGroup=microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie5.outlookexpress&SLCID=US&sd=GN&id=fh;en-us;newsgroupsmicro...

money 2005 error
looks like money zapped out on me...when i go to setup an account for online access i get a message "to set up your accounts, you must be online. Please close money, and then sighn in to your file. When you sign in, make sure the work offline box is cleared." I AM online and no the box is not checked...I don't get it. I've reinstalled money to no avail...anyone have any ideas? ...

Form/window Close
I have a main page 'MyMainForm' containing a button. When this button is clicked; another form 'MySubForm' opens up which contains two buttons (OK & Exit). When OK button is clicked; the code behind this button processes some data and displays an alert and then goes back to 'MySubForm'. What do I need to do so 'MySubForm' is closed automatically when processing is done and OK is clicked on alert box? Ryan wrote: > I have a main page 'MyMainForm' containing a button. When this button is > clicked; another form 'MySubForm'...

Integration Manager vs eConnect
We have two data integration requirements the first is to import data from another accounting solution the data residing in MS SQL2000, the second requirement will be recurring and that is to import AP invoices from a vendor's provided SQL table. Is eConnect or the Integration Manager a better choice? For simple data integrations, I prefer to use Integration Manager since it does not require complex coding and it is a pretty straight forward process. For complaex data integrations, like invoices, orders etc, eConnect is the right tool but it requires tedious coding (I use VB.Net). &...

.NET Framework 1.1 Service Pack 1 fails to Install
Using Windows XP Home SP3 ..NET Framework 1.1 Service Pack 1 always fails to Install. I have tried everything in KB 953297 and 922377 including the cleaner that removes all versions for .NET Framework. I have emptied the Software Distribution folder and it still fails. Anti Virus is off as is the firewall. I'm looking for something else to try OK try to download a fullfile version from here and then install it when you are offline. I seriously think that you may not need this update but you haven't told us what applications you are using that requires version 1...

VS IDE
I'm trying to work with XML/XSLT in the Visual Studio IDE (VS 2005) and when I select the menu option XML/Show XSLT Output I get a tab with the output showing the text HTML code. I'd like to have it display like it would in a browser instead. I'm working around it by coding the path to the XSLT into the XML file, keeping a browser open and hitting the refresh button which isn't a huge deal, but I was wondering if there's a configuration option or some way to have it display the way it would look in a browser in the IDE. Any links to documentation about this would be ...

serring sheet size vs paper size
is there an easy way to set sheet size so that it doens't auto maticcally default to 8.5x11. this cause me to creat a new paper size anytime i try to adjust margins. I've read all the help, there is no reference to sheet size I can find -- jd It is possible to create custom page sizes in your printer. Your page size will always default to letter unless you create a new page size for all your publications. This would be something you would do in the print folder in the control panel. I would advise you not to do this however. Publisher is setup for the letter default. Create c...