Visual Studio can't open resource file in Resource View after IDE crash

Hello,

I have a strange problem with Visual Studio .NET 2003, I hope that
this is the appropriate newsgroup. After adding an icon resource
to my project, Visual Studio crashed, and after restarting it, it
was unable to open my project's resource file in the resource view
pane. It displays the name of the rc file, but when I click the
"+" beside it to open the resources, nothing happens, and the
"+" disappears. There is no error message.

Restarting Visual Studio and rebuilding my project didn't help.
I can open all other projects' resource files without problems.
I reverted the .rc file, .vcproj file, and resource.h back to
the previous (known working) versions, without success.

Google'ing for similar symptoms didn't help either ... so, did
anyone have that problem before, and does anyone know what I can
do to bring resource view back to life?

Thanks for any help
W. Roesler
0
wr1 (20)
1/25/2006 11:09:19 AM
vc.mfc 33608 articles. 0 followers. Follow

What happens if you double click .rc file from the solutions explorer OR
right click the .rc file->open with resource editor.

--
Vipin Aravind

"Wolfram Roesler" <wr@spam.la> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> I have a strange problem with Visual Studio .NET 2003, I hope that
> this is the appropriate newsgroup. After adding an icon resource
> to my project, Visual Studio crashed, and after restarting it, it
> was unable to open my project's resource file in the resource view
> pane. It displays the name of the rc file, but when I click the
> "+" beside it to open the resources, nothing happens, and the
> "+" disappears. There is no error message.
>
> Restarting Visual Studio and rebuilding my project didn't help.
> I can open all other projects' resource files without problems.
> I reverted the .rc file, .vcproj file, and resource.h back to
> the previous (known working) versions, without success.
>
> Google'ing for similar symptoms didn't help either ... so, did
> anyone have that problem before, and does anyone know what I can
> do to bring resource view back to life?
>
> Thanks for any help
> W. Roesler

0
vipin (696)
1/25/2006 1:42:21 PM
"Vipin [MVP]" <Vipin@nospam.com> wrote in news:OKJksUbIGHA.2320
@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl:

> What happens if you double click .rc file from the solutions explorer

This switches to resource view, with the same defect as
described before.

> OR right click the .rc file->open with resource editor.

This works fine, opening the resource file's contents in an
editor window (not in the resource view pane).

Thanks for your help
W. Roesler
0
wr1 (20)
1/25/2006 3:51:34 PM
It could be that the actually .RC file got hit.  I would just open it in
Notepad and see what is in it.  If part of it got lost (I.E., was writing
when system crashed and some or all of the information missing from the
file) I would just restore it from a previous version and that should fix
the problem.

Tom

"Wolfram Roesler" <wr@spam.la> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> I have a strange problem with Visual Studio .NET 2003, I hope that
> this is the appropriate newsgroup. After adding an icon resource
> to my project, Visual Studio crashed, and after restarting it, it
> was unable to open my project's resource file in the resource view
> pane. It displays the name of the rc file, but when I click the
> "+" beside it to open the resources, nothing happens, and the
> "+" disappears. There is no error message.
>
> Restarting Visual Studio and rebuilding my project didn't help.
> I can open all other projects' resource files without problems.
> I reverted the .rc file, .vcproj file, and resource.h back to
> the previous (known working) versions, without success.
>
> Google'ing for similar symptoms didn't help either ... so, did
> anyone have that problem before, and does anyone know what I can
> do to bring resource view back to life?
>
> Thanks for any help
> W. Roesler

0
tserface (3861)
1/25/2006 4:58:53 PM
"Tom Serface" <tserface@msn.com> wrote in

> It could be that the actually .RC file got hit.  I would just open it
> in Notepad and see what is in it.  If part of it got lost (I.E., was
> writing when system crashed and some or all of the information missing
> from the file) I would just restore it from a previous version and
> that should fix the problem.

I did that already (restored the previous version of the .rc file
from CVS), without success. Also, the CVS diff (before restoring
the previous version) showed that the .rc file had not been
damaged, the only change was that I had added a single icon
resource.

Anyway, I shut down the machine for the night, and after rebooting
the next morning, the problem was gone. Very strange indeed.

Thanks for your help
W. Roesler
0
wr1 (20)
1/26/2006 8:33:06 AM
That is strange.  Did you do a complete recompile. Perhaps the .res file was
goofed up somehow.  Anyway... glad you got it to work.

Tom

> "Tom Serface" <tserface@msn.com> wrote in
>
>> It could be that the actually .RC file got hit.  I would just open it
>> in Notepad and see what is in it.  If part of it got lost (I.E., was
>> writing when system crashed and some or all of the information missing
>> from the file) I would just restore it from a previous version and
>> that should fix the problem.
>
> I did that already (restored the previous version of the .rc file
> from CVS), without success. Also, the CVS diff (before restoring
> the previous version) showed that the .rc file had not been
> damaged, the only change was that I had added a single icon
> resource.
>
> Anyway, I shut down the machine for the night, and after rebooting
> the next morning, the problem was gone. Very strange indeed.
>
> Thanks for your help
> W. Roesler

0
tserface (3861)
1/26/2006 3:04:47 PM

> That is strange.  Did you do a complete recompile.

Yes, I deleted all compiler temp files manually, plus told VC to
rebuild everything.

> Anyway... glad you got it to work.

Indeed.

Thanks
W. Roesler
0
wr1 (20)

password to import pst files
I had to reinstall Windows XP and Office 2000. I am trying to import backed up .pst files into outlook and it keeps asking for a password. I have no idea what the password is. The import process stops with "The password you have entered is incorrect. Retype the password." If I cancel at the password screen, it says "Properties for this information service must be defined prior to use" Is there any way to get my .pst files imported? I have hundreds of contacts I really don't want to lose. "outlookuser77" <outlookuser77@discussions.microsof...

M4A File
Hi some of my music files will not play in Windows Media Player a box says it cannot find or play the m4a file, what do i need to do to be able to play these files ? Thanks . -- nski iTunes "normski" <normski@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:0D11E9D4-6A01-488A-A1B4-A36921160A89@microsoft.com... > > Hi some of my music files will not play in Windows Media Player a box > says > it cannot find or play the m4a file, what do i need to do to be able to > play > these files ? > > Thanks . > -- > nski ...

Is there any way to reduce size of .pst file?
Hi all, I have imported my .pst file over the past 3 yrs. from CD backup each time I had to format. The current size is 438+mb. I have deleted, deleted deletions and compacted many many times. Yet the size of the .pst file remains the same and only increases. My performance in opening is pathetically slow, and I believe it's because of size. (no images accounting for size). I was told of a method to make that megabyte size more accurately reflect the actual amount of emails inside over a yr. ago but I cannot find that method. Would anyone know how I can reduce that size to more ac...

how do I turn off requesting scan when opening Excel (Office XP)
Whenever I start Excel, it takes awhile as a message appears in the status line indicating "requesting virus scan". I have three trusted add-ins which I use which contain macros, and have reduced macro security level to "lowest", but cannot stop this action from occurring. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. If you're using Symantec/Norton AntiVirus, try disabling the Office Plugin that comes with it. See http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=329820 "How to use Office programs with the Norton AntiVirus Office plug-in" for more information. ch...

How can I open Posted and Open transactions in one single SmartLis
I want to replace the Sales Transaction SmartList with my own because when we use Extender fields, the Sales Transaction SL becomes way TOO slow. I am able to create faster SmartLists through SQL Views, however, I can only have one type of document status opened in one single SmartList: Open (Sales Transaction Entry window) or Posted (Sales Transaction Inquiry Zoom). The Sales Transactions SmartList allows to open both types from the same list. My users liked the faster SmartLists, but they didnt like that they need to lookup in 2 SmartLists when they don't know if something is open...

Master Page between Publisher files
Is there any way to save a master page in Publisher 2003 and use it in multiple files/documents? I have over 100 files using the same master page layout but I do not want to create a 100 page file/document. Is there a way to save the master page and import it or something of that nature? Thanks!! Why not create your "master page" and save it. When you need to create a new document, open the saved file, do a Save As with a new file name. New document has been created with the original master page. Or you could also save the "master page" as a Publisher Template u...

Excel cannot access "file name".
First dialog box show that : Excel cannot access "file name". The document may be read-only or encrypted. Then second dialog box show up : Cannot access "file name". Any idea to solve this problem? Thank you. First I would try copying the file to another directory, and changing the filename..........then see if it will open. Vaya con Dios, Chuck, CABGx3 "MG" <MG@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:00740C2C-F05D-4112-BF8F-F014CB77910D@microsoft.com... > First dialog box show that : Excel cannot access "file name". The document...

xls file extension to wks "Works" extension
I have an Excel 98 work sheet with 'xls' file extiension that I can't open in 'Works'. I have no way to "save as" wks file extension. Is there some other way for me to convert an old Excel .xls spreadsheet to a Works spreadsheet??? Help!!!!!!!! I'm not sure whether Works allows importing or not, but you might tr saving your Excel file as a "csv" file, then importing it into Works -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com ...

Comparing two columns in two separate files
Hi, I have an excel worksheet (I will call it A.xls), its first column is the unit numbers, I did some work with this file and saved it under a different name (I will call it B.xls). I noticed some of the rows with unit numbers are missing in this second file. Could some one tell me how would I go about in comparing the first columns of these two files so that it will give me a list of missing unit numbers that I had in the file A.xls but now not present in B.xls Thanks a lot in advance. - Kenny Assume source data in A.xls is in Sheet1, within A1:A20 (say) In B.xls, source data is ...

Excel 2007: Cannot open documents by double-clicking
Suddenly I'm getting the following error when I try to double-click on an Excel spreadsheet to open it: Windows cannot find 'xxxx'. Make sure you typed the name correctly, and then try again. "xxxx" is the full path and filename of the document I'm trying to open. Additionally, it seems that double-clicking a spreadsheet opens a second instance of Excel instead of using the currently open instance. I have no problem dragging a spreadsheet into Excel or opening a sheet from within Excel. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, Robert Robert If the same a...

Opening/importing data from database takes forever after upgrading office!
Hello. I recently reinstalled a users computer and upgraded his office version from 2000 to xp. Now when he imports data from a database it takes forever. It can take several minutes and before the reinstallation the operation only took seconds. What could be wrong? I did the same on his coworkers computer with the same result so there must be something that can solve the problem. I just can't figure it out. The run windows 2000 sp4. Please help. :^) //Johan Anyone? It never hurts to empty the windows temp folder (with excel closed), but it may not help. You may want to take...

Filtered Views 10-04-06
Hi: I'm wanting to pull back contact data into a web application from CRM using the FilteredContact view. All connectivity to date has been done via CrmService, which allows me to connect using a NetworkCredential (member of PrivUserGroup ) and then impersonate a CRM as the CallerId. Now using a view I need to connect to the database directly and use windows authentication, but I want to authenticate to the database using a specific CRM user, not related to the current authenticated user. How do I do this?? The only 2 sql conection methods I know are using none trusted and SSPI ?? The...

OneChildDialog -Different Views-MFC,SDI
Hai I Just need to ask a Question like i have a Child Dialog which i created in a First View and i want that childDialog to be the child of SecondView also and can you please tell me which would be the appropriate way of doing it Thanks and Regards Mike Mike wrote: > Hai > I Just need to ask a Question like i have a Child Dialog which i created > in a First View and i want that childDialog to be the child of SecondView > also and can you please tell me which would be the appropriate way of doing it > Thanks and Regards > ...

Files increasing in size,
I have a problem with files that are increasing in size. A file with about 6-7 pivot tables and 6-7000 rows of source data. First time saved the file is about 11MB, when deleting about 2000 rows of source data and adding the same abount of new data and updating the pivot tables the file increases to about 35MB. Anybody who knows why or what I can do about it? Thanks, Mats ...

OL2003 - Temp Files
Office Outlook 2003 (SP1), Exchange 2003 (SP1), upgraded some time ago from Office 97. We are not using Word as the email editor, FYI. One of the things mentioned and discussed in this group is the location of temporary files and saved documents when an attachment is opened within Outlook. These files, when opened by a double-click in Oulook, are opened and saved to a seemingly randomly-named subfolder in the "Temporary Internet Files" subset of the Local Settings folder in the users' local profile. This much we know, from users losing saved documents (by not noticing where t...

POS Crash when tendering transaction
When tendering transaction (cash), for some items, the POS crashes and I get the following error message: "Multiple step operation generated error. Check each status value", Error -2147217887. I searched KB but it didn't help the answer there. I check the database and re-indexed it. I applied the Hot Fix. Can you please help me? Thank you, -- Irina Stanca I forgot to tell that i am using MSDE. Thank you, -- Irina Stanca "Irina" wrote: > When tendering transaction (cash), for some items, the POS crashes and I get > the following error message: > "...

View Filters OR rather than AND?
CRM Vn1.2 How would I go about changing the ANDs to be ORs? I've got a superuser who has set up some views to filter using lists of Account Owners eg. he wants to show all accounts that have owner a OR b OR c but the Fetch XML shows that it is defaulting to AND. If I can't change the view using the UI can I get at the Fetch XML underneath somewhere? Thanks, Sarah. In 1.2 there's no way to do this through the UI (the good news for the future is you can in 3.0) The FetchXml is stored in the SavedQueryBase table. You could either modify this directly, which is unsupported, ...

File does not appear in Recent Items in Vista Home Premium
I have an xlsx file that WILL not appear in Recent Items, no matter how I open it. Also I have the ASAP Excel Utilities installed, and every time I open an Excel workbook Recent Items shows three xla and xlam items relating to ASAP utilities...... Can anyone shed light on this please? Increase the number under TOOLS|OPTIONS|GENERAL|Settings|Recently used files... and see whether you still have the issue. I guess files related to ASAP are pushing your other files out of the list. btw I also have ASAP but I do NOT see any files associated with that on my list. Try to reinstall ASAP ut...

Filtering resource texts in dialogs and menus
Hello, is there a way to make an MFC application (dialog, SDI or MDI) filter the strings it loads from resources (dialogs, menus etc.) through a function in the application? I want to do text replacements, like replace "article number" by "part number" or similar, throughout the application without having to modify the resource file or use multiple resource DLLs (as in the common internationalization concepts). Just for illustration, I came up with the following function: void Reverse(CDialog &Dlg) { for(CWnd *wnd=Dlg.GetWindow(GW_CHILD);wnd!=NULL;wnd=wnd->GetWin...

problem opening 2003 pub file
I have tried to email a Publisher document to another computer, both of which have Pub 2003 installed. I have been successful with other documents, but this one gives the recipient a message that "Publisher cannot open this version”.. The document in question was indeed originally written using Publisher 2000, but has been modified and saved many times over the years in P-2003, and I have no problem opening it at home. Is there a way that I can save it in such a way that it will be acceptable at the recipient’s end? Does that recipient use Norton AV? -- JoAnn Paules MVP Micro...

save .snp file as system date and time
Hi, I'm trying to save a .SNP file in a specific directory and with the current time and date. The file is saved in the specified directory, but he's always saved as today.snp here is the code: Dim stDocName As String Dim today today = Now stDocName = "suporte_encomenda" DoCmd.OutputTo acReport, stDocName, "Snapshot Format", "l:\docs\today.snp" could anyone help me, please??? -- Thanks, Sorry if my english isn''t correct, but I''m from Potugal ;) Emanuel Violante Galeano First off, you didn't define a d...

Unable to create any link/hyperlinks in a particular excel file
Please help me as I have an existing excel file where I have copied lots of links and hyperlinks but it seems it is not working with that particular excel file. I do have internet access and hyperlinks are working fine in other files but problem is with a specific excel file. The hyperlink and link promt are inactive in this file particularly and even when I am trying to copy the content of these file to a new file the same problem is occuring. But other links are working in new excel file. Can you kindly help me ??? ...

File recover
Hi, I have a user here who has accidently overwritten a workbook unfotunately, this is a file that has not been backed up ! I have the ???????.xls~??????.tmp file that has been created, is ther a way of recivering this temp backup file into a valid excel workboo ? Many thanks for any advice you can offer ... Regard -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com I'm not sure excel created that .tmp file. (Maybe your antivirus program???) Just a guess: Have you tried renaming it to .xls and seeing if xl can open it? "hat <" wrote: > > Hi, > > I have a...

Cannot delete HDD partition; antivirus file on partition
I tried to delete the partition on my external hard drive using Disk Management in Computer Management. I got these two error messages: "Logical Disk Manager: The request cannot be completed because the volume is open or in use. It may be configured as a system, boot, or pagefile volume, or, to hold a crashdump file." "Disk Management: The partition <Partition name> (N:) Primary partition is currently in use. To force the deletion of this partition, click Yes. WARNING: Forcing a deletion might cause unexpected errors in the application that is using this partit...

EXCEL97 FILE NAMES TRUNCATED TO THE FIRST LETTER IN THE FILE NAME
I use Windows XP home edition and Microsoft Office 97. Excel has suddenly started truncating the file name to the first letter of the file name. What do i need to do to correct the position? -- Geoff Check to see if Excel is running in Windows 95 compatibility mode. There was a post that said: When I disabled compatibility mode the file name problem went away. http://google.com/groups?threadm=020101c30916%2442320250%24a501280a%40phx.gbl And maybe this will help: HOW TO: Use Windows Program Compatibility Mode in Windows XP http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;292533 ...