unable to open properties window

The problem I've encountered is that the properties window does not open.
For example, if I open a dialog, right click on an edit control and select
"Properties", normally the properties window would open.  Now, it no longer
does.  I use to be able to view the properties window - now I cannot.

I tried to reset the windows layout by clicking on
[Tools][Options][General][Reset Window Layout].  This does not work.  I've
deleted solution several files with the extension 'ncb', 'aps' and 'suo'.
I've deleted the file 'devenv.xlm'.  None of these efforts have corrected
the problem.

Has anyone else encountered this problem?  Can anyone suggest a  possible
solution?  I am working with VS C++ NET 2002 with WinXP Pro.   If this is
not the correct newsgroup for posting this message then please advise where
I should post it.

Thanks in advance

Ian

0
Ib2526511 (1)
4/3/2006 10:51:44 PM
vc.mfc 33608 articles. 0 followers. Follow

Ib252@yohaa.com wrote:

> The problem I've encountered is that the properties window does not open.
> For example, if I open a dialog, right click on an edit control and select
> "Properties", normally the properties window would open.  Now, it no longer
> does.  I use to be able to view the properties window - now I cannot.
>
> I tried to reset the windows layout by clicking on
> [Tools][Options][General][Reset Window Layout].  This does not work.  I've
> deleted solution several files with the extension 'ncb', 'aps' and 'suo'.
> I've deleted the file 'devenv.xlm'.  None of these efforts have corrected
> the problem.
>
> Has anyone else encountered this problem?  Can anyone suggest a  possible
> solution?  I am working with VS C++ NET 2002 with WinXP Pro.   If this is
> not the correct newsgroup for posting this message then please advise where
> I should post it.

This sounds like bad news and may be a 2002 problem. MS was shipping
2003 just for the shipping cost back then. (Still?) There may be some
other settings in the registry or file system that would affect this, I
sure don't know. But I thought I would give you my couple of pennies. I
had some problem back in 2002 and the only way I could fix it was to
reinstall. It won't affect your solutions even if it is a pain in the
ass. Have you tried to create a new project to see if the problem
persists? (probably will)

> Ian

Best, Dan. And good luck...

--
"We need an energy policy that encourages consumption"
George W. Bush.

"Conservation may be a sign of personal virtue, but it is not a
sufficient basis for a sound, comprehensive energy policy."
Vice President Dick Cheney

0
public21 (290)
4/4/2006 2:45:38 AM
Never heard of it but try rebooting. Also try deleting .user file (if
its present in VS2002).

---
Ajay

0
ajaykalra (6842)
4/4/2006 1:15:35 PM
Dan Bloomquist wrote:

[snip]

> This sounds like bad news and may be a 2002 problem. MS was shipping
> 2003 just for the shipping cost back then. (Still?) There may be some
> other settings in the registry or file system that would affect this, I
> sure don't know. But I thought I would give you my couple of pennies. I
> had some problem back in 2002 and the only way I could fix it was to
> reinstall. It won't affect your solutions even if it is a pain in the
> ass. Have you tried to create a new project to see if the problem
> persists? (probably will)
>
> Best, Dan. And good luck...

Dan:

I really don't know why MS stopped the $29 upgrade from VS2002 to
VS2003, or why they don't reinstate it now that VS2005 is out. Nobody is
going pay money for VS2003 now (is it even available?). In any case the
number of people using VS2002 must be very small, so why not just get
rid of them with a free upgrade? It's not like VC6, where the old
product was arguably better in many ways, and even a free upgrade would
not persuade some people to switch.

I'm just glad that I was paying sufficient attention to get the $29
upgrade myself, even though I was then (and still am for most things)
still using VC6.

David Wilkinson

0
no-reply8010 (1791)
4/4/2006 2:20:16 PM
>  In any case the number of people using VS2002 must be very small, so why not just
> get rid of them with a free upgrade?

Makes too much sense.

---
Ajay

0
ajaykalra (6842)
4/4/2006 2:35:15 PM
This is off the wall, but could the properties windows be slid off to the
side or just tabbed somewhere that it difficult to see.  I know you said you
did a reset layout so this may not be the case, but I figured it worth
mentioning since I've had windows "move around" on my in that IDE several
times.

Tom

"Ib252@yohaa.com" <ib252@yohaa.com> wrote in message
> The problem I've encountered is that the properties window does not open.
> For example, if I open a dialog, right click on an edit control and select
> "Properties", normally the properties window would open.  Now, it no
> longer does.  I use to be able to view the properties window - now I
> cannot.
>
> I tried to reset the windows layout by clicking on
> [Tools][Options][General][Reset Window Layout].  This does not work.  I've
> deleted solution several files with the extension 'ncb', 'aps' and 'suo'.
> I've deleted the file 'devenv.xlm'.  None of these efforts have corrected
> the problem.
>
> Has anyone else encountered this problem?  Can anyone suggest a  possible
> solution?  I am working with VS C++ NET 2002 with WinXP Pro.   If this is
> not the correct newsgroup for posting this message then please advise
> where I should post it.
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> Ian

0
tserface (3861)
4/4/2006 2:37:47 PM
Actually this was my first guess. It happens to me routinely when I
switch from dual monitors at work  to single monitor at home when I
login to work.  When I open a new window under VS, it goes to its
previous position which no longer is visible for me. However exiting,
restarting typically works fine.

---
Ajay

0
ajaykalra (6842)
4/4/2006 2:55:02 PM
Yeah and doing the reset layout button should put everything back as well so
it's probably not the problem, but I figured it was worth mentioning.  I
have a lot of trouble keeping toolbars where I want them.  So far 2005 seems
to be a lot better in this respect.

Tom

> Actually this was my first guess. It happens to me routinely when I
> switch from dual monitors at work  to single monitor at home when I
> login to work.  When I open a new window under VS, it goes to its
> previous position which no longer is visible for me. However exiting,
> restarting typically works fine.
>
> ---
> Ajay

0
tserface (3861)
4/4/2006 3:07:22 PM
Upgrading to 7.1 wouldn't cost them much except in having to support it,
which they do now.  My guess is that the benefit of having people upgrade
from 2002 or VC6 to at least 7.1 would far outweigh the support hassles from
people using older verisons and it may entice a few people to try 7.1
instead of 6.  At that point they would likely get more people to upgrade to
2005 since upgrading from 7.1 to 2005 is much easier.

Tom

>>  In any case the number of people using VS2002 must be very small, so why
>> not just
>> get rid of them with a free upgrade?
>
> Makes too much sense.
>
> ---
> Ajay

0
tserface (3861)

How to Hide Left Panel of Folder Window?
I'm well behind the Windows curve and I'm just now learning to use Windows XP Home. Up to now I've been using Windows 2000 Pro. On my XP desktop I have a shortcut to my music folder which containins my MP3 files. When I double click on the shortcut, a window opens on the desktop displaying the contents of my music folder. This window has a panel along the left side containing items like "File and Folder Tasks" and "Other Places." I can't figure out how to close, hide or otherwise delete this panel. This panel takes up a lot of prec...

New message opens up behind outlook window
Everytime I click new in my inbox to open a new message, the new message pops up behind the main oulook window. does anyone know how to make this stop? ...

Can't install windows updates on SBS 2003
I have a SBS 2003 server that has not been updated in a couple years. It has SP2 installed but when I run Microsoft Update it needs to download and install 96 updates. When I try to get them installed it comes back with an error saying not enough disk space. I have tried to just install 1 update at a time and get the same error. The C:\ drive has over 14GB of free space and the other drives have plenty of space as well. I restarted the server and also ran Disk Cleanup, as the error message reccomends, but am still having the same problem. Anyone run across this problem befo...

Can't open Money 2002
Been using Money 2002 for 2 years no problem until now. When I tried to open it, a window popped up (maybe showing a registry or something) for about 1 second, then... nothing. I even did a reinstall and at the end of the installation when Money is supposed to open, the same weird window popped up and then again... nothing. I have Norton antivirus with automatic updates. All other programs seem to be working fine. Any suggestions from all you experts out there? Thanks. Byron In microsoft.public.money, Byron wrote: >Been using Money 2002 for 2 years no problem until now. >When ...

Outlook and Windows Integrated Authentication
Hello All, Does anyone know if Outlook (not OWA) can use Windows Integrated Authentication (like IE) to automatically log onto Intranet Web sites to retrieve graphics in HTML messages? Right now we get a logon dialog and have to manually log in. Thanks. if you paste the url into a browser, does it work as desired? -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours Coauthor, OneNote 2003 for Windows (Visual QuickStart Guide) Need Help with Common Tasks? http://www.outlook-tips.net/beginner/ Outlook 2007: http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/ol2007/ Outloo...

Can Outlook 2003 use MSN Messenger INSTEAD of Windows Messenger?
I didn't get an answer to this question last week so I'm re-posting... I recently purchased a new computer (Windows XP Home Edition w/SP2) and loaded up all of the available updates to the OS, Internet Explorer, etc. Next, I installed Office 2003 Professional. I disabled Messenger integration with Outlook 2003 as discussed in other posts here. Next I installed MSN Messenger 6.2 and it seemed to run properly as a stand-alone application. So I re-enabled Messenger integration on Outlook 2003. The next time I booted up and ran Outlook, the Messenger icon appeared in the taskbar...

Problems opening/saving attachments
I am unable to open or save any .rtf file attachments - this started happening today, previously there were no problems with .rtf files. When I try to open such an attachment I get this message: Can't create file: xyz.rtf Right click the folder you want to create the file in, and then click Properties on the shortcut menu to check your permissions for the folder. What folder is this? I am trying to open the attachment not creat the file! Also, when I try to send an rtf file as an attachment, in the email message the file does not show in the attachments section but the receipient actu...

Most important file won't open
The only file I can't get into is my most important one. Each time I try to open it I get a "This program has performed an illegal operation and will be shut down." In the details it says, "Excel caused an invalid page fault in module MS097.dll at 0167:306eef2e." How do I fix the problem? Jim, "The only file I can't get into is my most important one" why is it always this file! Just a couple of things to try, have you rebooted the computer? this will sometime solve a world of problems, try opening it on another computer, was anything added to the file...

Powerpoint won't open
When I select Power Point as part of my Microsoft 2004 package it refuses to open. I just get the circular whirly rainbow and can only close it with a Force Quit Hi there! Maybe you should run the Office installation again (just insert the Office CD/DVD into your CD/DVD drive) and select "repair" when it asks you whether you want to remove, repair or do other things. :) Regards, Christian On Nov 16, 2:36=A0pm, silverstar <silvers...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > When I select Power Point as part of my Microsoft 2004 package it refuses= to > ...

Middle mouse button does not always open in new tab anymore
Hi! I am experiencing the problem that when I click with the middle mouse button on a link (for example google search results) it does not always open it in a new tab anymore. In about 20% of the cases it takes over the current tab instead. The same problem is explained here in german: http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/en-us/default.aspx?dg=microsoft.public.de.internetexplorer&tid=cd463718-8df6-4ee4-9e8a-9ee527837f83&cat=&lang=de&cr=DE&sloc=&p=1 But since there was no answer found so far I decided to take it to the next level (english c...

Don't want to automatically open email Outlook 2000
I have recently started using Outlook 2000 instead of Outlook Express. In Express - I was able to preview messages without actually opening the file. In OL2000, the file automatically opens up... is there any way of preventing this. ...

Windows media player
Why does windows media player keep popping up? David wrote: > Why does windows media player keep popping up? OK, I give up. Why does Windows Media Player keep popping up ? How to ask a question http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375 Windows Media Player General Discussion http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/en-us/default.aspx?dg=microsoft.public.windowsmedia.player&cat=en_US_44d7101f-71dd-4f9a-b6b9-45215557dd35&lang=en&cr=US MowGreen ================ *-343-* FDNY Never Forgotten ================ banthecheck.com "Security update...

Personal Folder Error when opening Outook 2002
When opening Outlook 2002, I receive the message that the Personal folder was not closed properly and needs to be checked. I allow the check to run, and all is fine. But this error message reappears after I close and reopen Outlook. Please Reply. thanks. ...

I have a delay in opening Excel wrokbooks
I have a delay in opening Microsoft Excel Workbooks and also the computer hangs many times and there is no wrong in the woorkbook bcuase it works on another compters I don't need to reinstall the office or the windows becuse I have about 220 computer. If anyone have an answer i hope u send me an e-mail. Thanks Here is some information to read Opening/Saving Bottlenecks (Charles Williams) http://www.decisionmodels.com/optspeedd.htm#OpSave Troubleshoot Startup Problems(MS): http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q28...

Windows XP SP2
Has anyone else noticed that after installed Windows XP SP2, emails in Outlook sit in the Outbox for several "noticable" seconds before sending. Sam <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > Has anyone else noticed that after installed Windows XP > SP2, emails in Outlook sit in the Outbox for > several "noticable" seconds before sending. I believe I saw this documented on the Microsoft web site. -- Brian Tillman ...

Help-- Having trouble opening Word & Entourage
I have to keep restarting my computer to be able to open Word or Entourage. The icons just bounce a little but won't open. I was getting a request from Entourage to rebuild the database which I did about 6 or 7 times. I got another warning which I ignored. I am on a MacBook Pro (Intel based). I am using office 2004. My Entourage database is 3.2 gb. I ran Disk Utilities a couple of times. I also had a problem a couple of times with FileMaker Pro but not sure if related. Thanks Christina On 22/8/06 20:01, in article 1156273266.788654.318170@i42g2000cwa.googlegroups.com, "...

Task Manager window only CPU
Vista Ultimate SP2 When I launch Windows Task Manager, only a CPU meter opens. When I right click icon in task bar, I only get Close & Always on top options. How do I restore task manager? Happy New Year -- ***************** John Lenz JohnLenz@comcast.net Double click on the white frame of the task manager window. That should do it. -- whs THX - it worked Happy New Year -- ***************** John Lenz JohnLenz@comcast.net "whs" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message news:89eee91dbeee8173c55e0008be25b622@nntp-gateway....

Office 2007 on Windows 7
I just purchased a new laptop with Windows 7. I also purchased Office 2007 but I notice that Windows 7 is not shown on the Office package. Can I install Office 2007 without any propblems? Answered your first posting. apensa wrote: > I just purchased a new laptop with Windows 7. I also purchased Office 2007 > but I notice that Windows 7 is not shown on the Office package. Can I > install Office 2007 without any propblems? ...

URGENT: WINDOWS 8 ANNOUNCEMENT for July 2011!
Think Windows7 just came out & too young? Welcome to the brave future: Windows8! 1) Windows 8 To Contain New Anti-Ha*king Software (antipir*cy). Some may consider anti-pir*cy measures similar to whistling in the wind, but that's certainly not the case. George has posts in Windows7NewsDOTcom, and ConnectedInternet showing how in many cases Microsoft has foiled anti-pir*cy efforts. Many believe that piracy is relegated to just illegal copying or theft. But that is not the case. V*rus distribution and embedded malw*re, and privacy intrusion are typical features that result from...

email address on Service Call Entry window
Add an email address field to the Service Call Entry window for the customer contact on the service call. Even if it is not pulled from the email address of the address id on the service call, at least the dispatcher could enter an email address on the service call in order to communicate with the customer regarding the call. It is common to take email address as part of contact information. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the m...

Volume License copy of Windows Server
Gurus, Is there anyway anymore to get a full Volume License copy of Windows Server (e.g., version 2008) which does NOT require Internet activation? -- Spin Start with Vista/Windows 2008, your options to activate are by Internet or Phone. I believe the command that kicks it off is: slui.exe 4 "Spin" <Spin@invalid.com> wrote in message news:84nk89Far1U1@mid.individual.net... > Gurus, > > Is there anyway anymore to get a full Volume License copy of Windows > Server (e.g., version 2008) which does NOT require Internet activation? > ...