TRUE vs true or FALSE vs false

What exactly is the difference.  This has always bothered me that this is
the case.  I've noticed that you cannot substitute one for the other.  I'm
guessing TRUE was the original way of doing things before "true" came along?
The same case can be made with FALSE vs false.

Thanks

0
JCO
6/16/2010 2:23:44 PM
vc.mfc 33608 articles. 0 followers. Follow

On Wed, 16 Jun 2010 09:23:44 -0500, "JCO" <someone@somewhere.com>
wrote:

>What exactly is the difference.  This has always bothered me that this is
>the case.  I've noticed that you cannot substitute one for the other.  I'm
>guessing TRUE was the original way of doing things before "true" came along?
>The same case can be made with FALSE vs false.

Compare sizeof(TRUE) with sizeof(true).

I believe TRUE/FALSE were introduced before true/false became standard
in C (and then C++).  Once they were well entrenched in the Windows
libraries it would have broken too much old code to change everything
to be consistent.

int x = sizeof(true);
int y = sizeof(TRUE);

x is 1
y is 4
Okay so the size if different?
I always attempt to use lowercase when possible.

"r norman" <r_s_norman@comcast.net> wrote in message
> On Wed, 16 Jun 2010 09:23:44 -0500, "JCO" <someone@somewhere.com>
> wrote:
>
>>What exactly is the difference.  This has always bothered me that this is
>>the case.  I've noticed that you cannot substitute one for the other.  I'm
>>guessing TRUE was the original way of doing things before "true" came
>>along?
>>The same case can be made with FALSE vs false.
>>

> Compare sizeof(TRUE) with sizeof(true).
>
> I believe TRUE/FALSE were introduced before true/false became standard
> in C (and then C++).  Once they were well entrenched in the Windows
> libraries it would have broken too much old code to change everything
> to be consistent.

0
JCO
6/16/2010 3:22:21 PM
JCO wrote:
> int x = sizeof(true);
> int y = sizeof(TRUE);
>
> x is 1
> y is 4
> Okay so the size if different?
> I always attempt to use lowercase when possible.
>
> "r norman" <r_s_norman@comcast.net> wrote in message
>> On Wed, 16 Jun 2010 09:23:44 -0500, "JCO" <someone@somewhere.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> What exactly is the difference.  This has always bothered me that
>>> this is
>>> the case.  I've noticed that you cannot substitute one for the
>>> other.  I'm
>>> guessing TRUE was the original way of doing things before "true" came
>>> along?
>>> The same case can be made with FALSE vs false.
>>>

>> Compare sizeof(TRUE) with sizeof(true).
>>
>> I believe TRUE/FALSE were introduced before true/false became standard
>> in C (and then C++).  Once they were well entrenched in the Windows
>> libraries it would have broken too much old code to change everything
>> to be consistent.

TRUE and FALSE are the original C way of doing things.

Windows defines a BOOL data type which is a 32 integer.  This
corresponds to TRUE and FALSE.

You should be able to find #define typedef or enum definitions for BOOL,
TRUE and FALSE.

The bool data type is a relatively recent addition and is supported
internally by the compiler.  It's size is normally a byte.

HTH
Steve
0
Stephen
6/16/2010 3:36:08 PM
TRUE and FALSE were defined by Windows many, many years ago, long before there was a
Boolean data type (one of the major design defects of the C language, but the list of
design defects is far too long to go into here!)

The BOOL data type is really
	typedef int BOOL;
in the Windows header files (not MFC, as some people believe)

C++ corrected the C design defect by adding a type bool and constants true and false.

The problem arises when there is the unfounded belief that a BOOL type can only be TRUE or
FALSE; essentially, it can be FALSE or non-FALSE (any value other than 0 is non-FALSE)
where TRUE is one particular value, the constant 1.

Thefore, it is nonsensical to take a function of the form
	BOOL function(...);
and write something of the form
	if(function(...) == TRUE)

because the value might not be 1.  Unfortunately, due to terminal brain rot, the Win9X
series of imitation operating systems often returned a non-zero value not equal to 1. This
failure has been propagated into any number of libraries that claim to return BOOL but in
fact can return non-FALSE values that are not equal to TRUE.

The correct test, of course is to write
	if(function(...))
and this also applies to BOOL variables; NEVER write
	if(var == TRUE)
but ALWAYS
	if(var)
and never write
	if(var == FALSE)
but write
	if(!var)

It is completely foolish to EVER compare a BOOL (or even bool) value to a literal like
TRUE, true, FALSE or false; it is about as silly as writing
	if((a > 0) == true)
A boolean value is ALREADY a testable value and it never makes sense to compare it to a
literal boolean to get, guess what, a boolean value!  In the case of BOOL, it is
dangerous.

It is not a good idea when doing Windows programming to substitute bool for BOOL anywhere;
it will only lead to problems.  In fact, it is not clear what, if any, advantage bool has
for Windows programmers (note that if you are using std:: or creating operators in C++,
you should use the bool type because this is not Windows programming!)
					joe
On Wed, 16 Jun 2010 09:23:44 -0500, "JCO" <someone@somewhere.com> wrote:

>What exactly is the difference.  This has always bothered me that this is
>the case.  I've noticed that you cannot substitute one for the other.  I'm
>guessing TRUE was the original way of doing things before "true" came along?
>The same case can be made with FALSE vs false.
>
>Thanks

Joseph M. Newcomer [MVP]
email: newcomer@flounder.com
Web: http://www.flounder.com
Joseph
6/16/2010 4:11:59 PM
See below...
On Wed, 16 Jun 2010 10:36:08 -0500, Stephen Myers
<""StephenMyers\"@discussions@microsoft.com"> wrote:

>JCO wrote:
>> int x = sizeof(true);
>> int y = sizeof(TRUE);
>>
>> x is 1
>> y is 4
>> Okay so the size if different?
>> I always attempt to use lowercase when possible.
>>
>> "r norman" <r_s_norman@comcast.net> wrote in message

>>> Compare sizeof(TRUE) with sizeof(true).
>>>
>>> I believe TRUE/FALSE were introduced before true/false became standard
>>> in C (and then C++).  Once they were well entrenched in the Windows
>>> libraries it would have broken too much old code to change everything
>>> to be consistent.
>>

>TRUE and FALSE are the original C way of doing things.
****
No. This has nothing to do with the C language and everything to do with the Windows
header files.
****

>Windows defines a BOOL data type which is a 32 integer.  This
>corresponds to TRUE and FALSE.
****
No, a data type cannot correspond to a value.  The *type* is 32-bit integer.  There are
two defined literal values, TRUE (1) and FALSE(0).
****

>You should be able to find #define typedef or enum definitions for BOOL,
>TRUE and FALSE.
****
windef.h
****

>The bool data type is a relatively recent addition and is supported
>internally by the compiler.  It's size is normally a byte.
****
It exists only in the C++ language at the moment.  It is scheduled to exist in the next C
standard, if that comes out in this century.  The joke is that it used to be called the "C
0x" standard because it was going to be released sometime before 2010.  Now it is known as
the "C xx" standard, the "C 2x0x" standard, and the "C 2xxx" standard, since there seems
to be little hope of any agreement about its release date.  I heard one wag refer to it as
the "C Fry" standard, since it may not come out until Philip J. Fry is defrosted.
				joe
****

>HTH
>Steve
Joseph M. Newcomer [MVP]
email: newcomer@flounder.com
Web: http://www.flounder.com
Joseph
6/16/2010 4:17:05 PM

"JCO" <someone@somewhere.com> wrote in message

> What exactly is the difference.  This has always bothered me that this is
> the case.  I've noticed that you cannot substitute one for the other.  I'm
> guessing TRUE was the original way of doing things before "true" came
> along? The same case can be made with FALSE vs false.

I'll endorse everything Joe just said, and add that my programs are filled
with both BOOL and bool.   Anywhere in the vicinity of where a Windows or
MFC API function is called, then it makes sense to use BOOL.   Elsewhere in
classes which don't have much contact with the API then bool always seems
more elegant.    Having both is a mess, but one gets used to it.

Except class/struct member variables: I like to keep my variable boundaries
neat, so I'd have (say) two members which are BOOL and int, rather than bool
and int, and thus avoid invisible packing bytes.   In many cases this is
just control freakery on my part and it doesn't matter at all - but it makes
me feel happier :-(

Oh, and when I have a function which returns a BOOL I *always* make it
return TRUE or FALSE.   Never

    return (a==b);

always:

    return (a==b)? TRUE: FALSE;

But of course I never test equality with TRUE or FALSE for all the reasons
Joe gives, so it's just me being paranoidally neat again.   :-(     Strange
really, because outside of programming I never have any urge whatever to be
tidy, or line the knives and forks up, or whatever :-)

Dave
--
David Webber
Mozart Music Software

David
6/16/2010 5:21:53 PM
On Wed, 16 Jun 2010 09:23:44 -0500, "JCO" <someone@somewhere.com> wrote:

>What exactly is the difference.  This has always bothered me that this is
>the case.  I've noticed that you cannot substitute one for the other.  I'm
>guessing TRUE was the original way of doing things before "true" came along?
>The same case can be made with FALSE vs false.

Thanks to standard conversions, you almost always *can* substitute the
*constants* one for the other. That's less true for the *types*. To
understand the difference between the constants, start with the types.

The BOOL type is an ancient Windows typedef for int:

typedef int BOOL;
#define TRUE 1
#define FALSE 0

It's basically a code comment used to indicate boolean usage.[*] This was
about the best you could do in the C language of the time, and it's
consistent with the behavior of the relational operators, which yield ints
equal to 1 or 0. Note, however, that all non-zero values are considered
"true" in C and also when using BOOL, not just TRUE.

In contrast, the C++ bool type is a proper boolean type. The only values a
bool can hold are true and false. In expressions, true converts to 1 and
false to 0, which is why you can normally use true and false
interchangeably with TRUE and FALSE. Going the other way:

bool x = y; // y is non-bool

Assigning a non-bool value to a bool is equivalent to this:

bool x = y != 0;

The result of a relational operator is true or false in C++, so non-zero
values get converted to true, which is done to maintain the C notion that
non-zero means true. This is a big difference between bool and BOOL. If you
were to write:

BOOL x = 5;

Then x would contain the value 5 (still "true", but not TRUE). If you were
to write:

BOOL x = INT64_MAX;

Then x would contain 0 due to integer truncation. However, if you were to
change the type to bool, x would contain true in both cases.

Besides behavioral differences, there is a size difference to consider.
Obviously, sizeof(BOOL) == sizeof(int). However, sizeof(bool) is 1 in
Visual C++ and most other implementations, making it the same size as a
char.

I said earlier that the types are less interchangeable than the constants.
This is true simply because they are different types, which means you can't
pass the address of a bool where the address of a BOOL is required, using a
BOOL parameter to try to override a function that uses a bool parameter
won't work, and so forth.

So how to use all this? When there is a choice (see paragraph above for
cases for which there is not a choice, and also consider consistency when
writing things like Windows API wrappers), use bool instead of BOOL. It's
better behaved and smaller. As for the constants, it is very unlikely you
will run into a situation for which TRUE/FALSE vs. true/false matters, so
use whatever you want. I use true/false pretty much exclusively. If there
were to be a problem, it would be due to ambiguity resulting from something
like stupidly designed function overloads, and it wouldn't be a silent
error.

[*] Except for the GetMessage return value, which uses BOOL for three
states. Then there's the return value for CSingleLock::Lock, which IIRC
uses BOOL when there are three possible outcomes, except it just improperly
converts two of them into TRUE. There may be more BOOL abuse I'm not aware
of.

--
Doug Harrison
Visual C++ MVP
wrote:

>"JCO" <someone@somewhere.com> wrote in message
>
>> What exactly is the difference.  This has always bothered me that this is
>> the case.  I've noticed that you cannot substitute one for the other.  I'm
>> guessing TRUE was the original way of doing things before "true" came
>> along? The same case can be made with FALSE vs false.
>
>I'll endorse everything Joe just said, and add that my programs are filled
>with both BOOL and bool.   Anywhere in the vicinity of where a Windows or
>MFC API function is called, then it makes sense to use BOOL.   Elsewhere in
>classes which don't have much contact with the API then bool always seems
>more elegant.    Having both is a mess, but one gets used to it.
>
>Except class/struct member variables: I like to keep my variable boundaries
>neat, so I'd have (say) two members which are BOOL and int, rather than bool
>and int, and thus avoid invisible packing bytes.   In many cases this is
>just control freakery on my part and it doesn't matter at all - but it makes
>me feel happier :-(
>
>Oh, and when I have a function which returns a BOOL I *always* make it
>return TRUE or FALSE.   Never
>
>    return (a==b);
>
>always:
>
>    return (a==b)? TRUE: FALSE;
****
I know this is a bit over-compulsive, but I write the same kind of code for the same
reasons.  I will also write
	button.SetCheck(value ? BST_CHECKED : BST_UNCHECKED);

I have no idea why Microsoft even bothers to tell the checkbox button values of 0, 1 or 2
instead of giving the symbolic names.  The number of times I've seen code of the form
	button.SetCheck(value);
is amazing.  Back in WIndows 3.1, and value not 0 or 2 was treated as 1 (and for
non-tri-state buttons, 2 was treated as 1), but in 32-bit Windows (including the imitation
operating systems of the 9x family) the value had to be 0, 1 or 2.  I used to spend time
fixing code that had worked under Windows 3.1 because 'vaue' could be anything and often
was.  And clients would say "We ported this working code to 32-bit and it stopped working"
and I had to explain "You ported code that was never right from a system that worked
incorrectly to a system that worked correctly".
*****

>But of course I never test equality with TRUE or FALSE for all the reasons
>Joe gives, so it's just me being paranoidally neat again.   :-(     Strange
>really, because outside of programming I never have any urge whatever to be
>tidy, or line the knives and forks up, or whatever :-)
****
Any good programmer could be successfully accused of having obsessive-compulsive disorder
(OCD).  A friend of mine, one of the very best programmers I know, related once that he
was taking medication to help his OCD, and I pointed out that was what made him one of the
best of the best.  He said "Yes, but it was spilling into everyday life".  Like you, I am
not overly compulsive in most other areas of my life; I don't wash my hands 100 times a
day, or sort my sock drawer by spectral color, or things like that; my office is a total
shambles.  But I really do apply tidiness guidelines to my code.  And in that, I am
definitely obsessive.
				joe
*****

>Dave
Joseph M. Newcomer [MVP]
email: newcomer@flounder.com
Web: http://www.flounder.com
Joseph
6/16/2010 7:55:30 PM
On 16/06/2010 13:17, Joseph M. Newcomer wrote:
> See below...
> On Wed, 16 Jun 2010 10:36:08 -0500, Stephen Myers
> <""StephenMyers\"@discussions@microsoft.com">  wrote:
>

>> JCO wrote:
>>> int x = sizeof(true);
>>> int y = sizeof(TRUE);
>>>
>>> x is 1
>>> y is 4
>>> Okay so the size if different?
>>> I always attempt to use lowercase when possible.
>>>
>>> "r norman"<r_s_norman@comcast.net>  wrote in message

>> TRUE and FALSE are the original C way of doing things.
> ****
> No. This has nothing to do with the C language and everything to do with the Windows
> header files.
> ****
>>
>> Windows defines a BOOL data type which is a 32 integer.  This
>> corresponds to TRUE and FALSE.
> ****
> No, a data type cannot correspond to a value.  The *type* is 32-bit integer.  There are
> two defined literal values, TRUE (1) and FALSE(0).
> ****
>>
>> You should be able to find #define typedef or enum definitions for BOOL,
>> TRUE and FALSE.
> ****
> windef.h
> ****
>>
>> The bool data type is a relatively recent addition and is supported
>> internally by the compiler.  It's size is normally a byte.
> ****
> It exists only in the C++ language at the moment.  It is scheduled to exist in the next C
> standard, if that comes out in this century.  The joke is that it used to be called the "C
> 0x" standard because it was going to be released sometime before 2010.  Now it is known as
> the "C xx" standard, the "C 2x0x" standard, and the "C 2xxx" standard, since there seems
> to be little hope of any agreement about its release date.  I heard one wag refer to it as
> the "C Fry" standard, since it may not come out until Philip J. Fry is defrosted.
> 				joe
> ****

C99 already has a boolean type: _Bool (see C99 specification 6.25,
6.3.1.2, 6.4.1 and 6.7.2)
It also has a group of macros to manage the bool behavior (bool, false
and true, see stdbool.h header, C99 specification 7.16)

Regards

--
Cholo Lennon
Bs.As.

>> HTH
>> Steve
> Joseph M. Newcomer [MVP]
> email: newcomer@flounder.com
> Web: http://www.flounder.com

Cholo
6/16/2010 9:01:29 PM
Thanks.  I thought that had been delayed to the C 0x spec.  Since we don't have C99
compilers from Microsoft, I never noticed.
				joe

On Wed, 16 Jun 2010 18:01:29 -0300, Cholo Lennon <chololennon@hotmail.com> wrote:

>On 16/06/2010 13:17, Joseph M. Newcomer wrote:
>> See below...
>> On Wed, 16 Jun 2010 10:36:08 -0500, Stephen Myers
>> <""StephenMyers\"@discussions@microsoft.com">  wrote:

>>> TRUE and FALSE are the original C way of doing things.
>> ****
>> No. This has nothing to do with the C language and everything to do with the Windows
>> header files.
>> ****
>>>
>>> Windows defines a BOOL data type which is a 32 integer.  This
>>> corresponds to TRUE and FALSE.
>> ****
>> No, a data type cannot correspond to a value.  The *type* is 32-bit integer.  There are
>> two defined literal values, TRUE (1) and FALSE(0).
>> ****
>>>
>>> You should be able to find #define typedef or enum definitions for BOOL,
>>> TRUE and FALSE.
>> ****
>> windef.h
>> ****
>>>
>>> The bool data type is a relatively recent addition and is supported
>>> internally by the compiler.  It's size is normally a byte.
>> ****
>> It exists only in the C++ language at the moment.  It is scheduled to exist in the next C
>> standard, if that comes out in this century.  The joke is that it used to be called the "C
>> 0x" standard because it was going to be released sometime before 2010.  Now it is known as
>> the "C xx" standard, the "C 2x0x" standard, and the "C 2xxx" standard, since there seems
>> to be little hope of any agreement about its release date.  I heard one wag refer to it as
>> the "C Fry" standard, since it may not come out until Philip J. Fry is defrosted.
>> 				joe
>> ****
>
>C99 already has a boolean type: _Bool (see C99 specification 6.25,
>6.3.1.2, 6.4.1 and 6.7.2)
>It also has a group of macros to manage the bool behavior (bool, false
>and true, see stdbool.h header, C99 specification 7.16)
>
>Regards
Joseph M. Newcomer [MVP]
email: newcomer@flounder.com
Web: http://www.flounder.com
Joseph
6/17/2010 12:55:08 AM
On 16 Jun., Joseph M. Newcomer wrote:
> Any good programmer could be successfully accused of having obsessive-com=
pulsive disorder
> (OCD). =A0A friend of mine, one of the very best programmers I know, rela=
ted once that he
> was taking medication to help his OCD, and I pointed out that was what ma=
de him one of the
> best of the best. =A0He said "Yes, but it was spilling into everyday life=
". =A0Like you, I am
> not overly compulsive in most other areas of my life; I don't wash my han=
ds 100 times a
> day, or sort my sock drawer by spectral color, or things like that; my of=
fice is a total
> shambles. =A0But I really do apply tidiness guidelines to my code. =A0And=
 in that, I am
> definitely obsessive.

Except when it comes to top-posting ;-) (sorry, could not resist)

Thanks for putting a name to something that I always felt, but could
never express in words. I guess this OCD streak may be the reason why
I studied computer science instead of physics (I mean how should one
get things done when your material sometimes behaves like a wave and
sometimes like a particle?) Computer science offers fewer surprises
than physics (with regard to new phenomenons) but in return you'll
certainly get the feeling that everything is neat and proper (which is
what people suffering from OCD probably need).

Regards,
Stuart
0
Stuart
6/17/2010 6:33:25 AM
The arguments about top-posting vs. bottom-posting vs. anything else are all silly.  My
reply appears where my reply appears.  I refuse to deal with profound silliness.  I only
obsess over technical issues that *matter*.

One variant of OCD is characterized by meticulous attention to detail.

There is a silly psychological test that tries to tell you about your personality type. It
contains silly questions like "Do you care about the big picture or little details?" and
of course the answer is "yes".  In fact, I was halfway through it when I started laughing.
EVERY either-or question was answerable by "yes".  As a programmer, I *have* to care about
the little details.  But as a software architect and designer, I *have* to care about the
"big picture".  Every question I'd hit had that property.  It was clear that the questions
had never been designed with a programmer in mind...
				joe

On Wed, 16 Jun 2010 23:33:25 -0700 (PDT), Stuart Redmann <DerTopper@web.de> wrote:

>On 16 Jun., Joseph M. Newcomer wrote:
>> Any good programmer could be successfully accused of having obsessive-compulsive disorder
>> (OCD). �A friend of mine, one of the very best programmers I know, related once that he
>> was taking medication to help his OCD, and I pointed out that was what made him one of the
>> best of the best. �He said "Yes, but it was spilling into everyday life". �Like you, I am
>> not overly compulsive in most other areas of my life; I don't wash my hands 100 times a
>> day, or sort my sock drawer by spectral color, or things like that; my office is a total
>> shambles. �But I really do apply tidiness guidelines to my code. �And in that, I am
>> definitely obsessive.
>
>Except when it comes to top-posting ;-) (sorry, could not resist)
>
>Thanks for putting a name to something that I always felt, but could
>never express in words. I guess this OCD streak may be the reason why
>I studied computer science instead of physics (I mean how should one
>get things done when your material sometimes behaves like a wave and
>sometimes like a particle?) Computer science offers fewer surprises
>than physics (with regard to new phenomenons) but in return you'll
>certainly get the feeling that everything is neat and proper (which is
>what people suffering from OCD probably need).
>
>Regards,
>Stuart
Joseph M. Newcomer [MVP]
email: newcomer@flounder.com
Web: http://www.flounder.com
Joseph
6/17/2010 1:40:03 PM

"Stuart Redmann" <DerTopper@web.de> wrote in message
> On 16 Jun., Joseph M. Newcomer wrote:

> ... I guess this OCD streak may be the reason why
> I studied computer science instead of physics (I mean how should one
> get things done when your material sometimes behaves like a wave and
> sometimes like a particle?)

Being precise and tidy is a good route to understanding how things work in
physics as well as programming.

Wave/particle duality is a case in point.   Precisely speaking: the
probability amplitude for finding a particle at a given point is a function
characterised as a wave.  Nothing inconsistent about that.   The less
precise version:  "It's a wave AND a particle" is just untidy and being
untidy leads to a lack of understanding, but may be good for making the
uninitiated go "wow!".    Pedantry (if not OCD) helps in physics too, though
it may not impress television audiences.

Dave
Sometime elementary particle theorist.

0
David
6/17/2010 2:22:42 PM
On 17/06/2010 16:22, David Webber wrote:

> Wave/particle duality is a case in point. Precisely speaking: the
> probability amplitude for finding a particle at a given point is a
> function characterised as a wave.

> Dave
> Sometime elementary particle theorist.

Cool!

That is "rocket science"!
(Computer Science is easier :)

Giovanni

0
Giovanni
6/17/2010 2:35:22 PM

"Giovanni Dicanio" <giovanniDOTdicanio@REMOVEMEgmail.com> wrote in message
> On 17/06/2010 16:22, David Webber wrote:
>
>> Wave/particle duality is a case in point. Precisely speaking: the
>> probability amplitude for finding a particle at a given point is a
>> function characterised as a wave.
>
>> Dave
>> Sometime elementary particle theorist.
>
> Cool!
>
> That is "rocket science"!
> (Computer Science is easier :)

The thing about rocket science is that it isn't really rocket science you
know :-)    CMFCToolBar - now *that's* rocket science!   At least today it
is, and the rocket is pointing at my feet  :-(

Dave
--
David Webber
Mozart Music Software
http://www.mozart.co.uk
For discussion and support see

David
6/17/2010 3:50:51 PM
My S.O. has a degree in "Library Science" (and is a professor in the department).  I have
been at parties where people talk about "Library Science", and I use the line "any field
that has to label itself a science probably isn't" at which point they challenge me,
"What's your degree in?" to which I reply "Computer Science")

Characterization of languages:

C - gives you all the power you need, including the ability to shoot yourself in the foot

Assembler - lets you shoot the disk in the foot, after which your manager shoots you

C++ - The problem is that between foot objects, foot pointers, and foot references, you
can't figure out whether you have shot yourself in the foot or virtually shot your virtual
foot

FORTRAN - Lets you shoot one toe in each DO-loop iteration

Pascal - The type system prevents you from confusing guns with feet.  Unfortunately, it
prevents you from doing anything else useful.

Java - Write once, shoot in foot everywhere

C# - Your feet are automatically garbage collected when they have enough holes in them

Visual Basic - Impossible to shoot yourself in the foot, or do much else interesting, but
you get a Really Cool User Interface

Ada - The DoD marches in a squad of soldiers, they put you up against the wall, and *they*
shoot you in the foot

APL - You hear a loud noise, you look down and you see a hole in your foot, but you can't
remember enough linear algebra to figure out what happened

				joe
On Thu, 17 Jun 2010 16:50:51 +0100, "David Webber" <dave@musical-dot-demon-dot-co.uk>
wrote:

>"Giovanni Dicanio" <giovanniDOTdicanio@REMOVEMEgmail.com> wrote in message
>> On 17/06/2010 16:22, David Webber wrote:
>>
>>> Wave/particle duality is a case in point. Precisely speaking: the
>>> probability amplitude for finding a particle at a given point is a
>>> function characterised as a wave.
>>
>>> Dave
>>> Sometime elementary particle theorist.
>>
>> Cool!
>>
>> That is "rocket science"!
>> (Computer Science is easier :)
>
>The thing about rocket science is that it isn't really rocket science you
>know :-)    CMFCToolBar - now *that's* rocket science!   At least today it
>is, and the rocket is pointing at my feet  :-(
>
>Dave
Joseph M. Newcomer [MVP]
email: newcomer@flounder.com
Web: http://www.flounder.com
Joseph
6/17/2010 7:20:21 PM
Joe: You should put this post in your web site!

Giovanni

On 17/06/2010 21:20, Joseph M. Newcomer wrote:

> My S.O. has a degree in "Library Science" (and is a professor in the department).  I have
> been at parties where people talk about "Library Science", and I use the line "any field
> that has to label itself a science probably isn't" at which point they challenge me,
> "What's your degree in?" to which I reply "Computer Science")
>
> Characterization of languages:
>
> C - gives you all the power you need, including the ability to shoot yourself in the foot
>
> Assembler - lets you shoot the disk in the foot, after which your manager shoots you
>
> C++ - The problem is that between foot objects, foot pointers, and foot references, you
> can't figure out whether you have shot yourself in the foot or virtually shot your virtual
> foot
>
> FORTRAN - Lets you shoot one toe in each DO-loop iteration
>
> Pascal - The type system prevents you from confusing guns with feet.  Unfortunately, it
> prevents you from doing anything else useful.
>
> Java - Write once, shoot in foot everywhere
>
> C# - Your feet are automatically garbage collected when they have enough holes in them
>
> Visual Basic - Impossible to shoot yourself in the foot, or do much else interesting, but
> you get a Really Cool User Interface
>
> Ada - The DoD marches in a squad of soldiers, they put you up against the wall, and *they*
> shoot you in the foot
>
> APL - You hear a loud noise, you look down and you see a hole in your foot, but you can't
> remember enough linear algebra to figure out what happened
>
> 				joe
> On Thu, 17 Jun 2010 16:50:51 +0100, "David Webber"<dave@musical-dot-demon-dot-co.uk>
> wrote:
>

>> "Giovanni Dicanio"<giovanniDOTdicanio@REMOVEMEgmail.com>  wrote in message

>>> Cool!
>>>
>>> That is "rocket science"!
>>> (Computer Science is easier :)
>>
>> The thing about rocket science is that it isn't really rocket science you
>> know :-)    CMFCToolBar - now *that's* rocket science!   At least today it
>> is, and the rocket is pointing at my feet  :-(
>>
>> Dave
> Joseph M. Newcomer [MVP]
> email: newcomer@flounder.com
> Web: http://www.flounder.com

Giovanni
6/17/2010 9:39:28 PM
On 17/06/2010 17:50, David Webber wrote:

> The thing about rocket science is that it isn't really rocket science
> you know :-) CMFCToolBar - now *that's* rocket science! At least today
> it is, and the rocket is pointing at my feet :-(

If you can figure out Schrodinger's equation and quantum mechanics you
can figure out MFC classes of course :)

Giovanni

0
Giovanni
6/17/2010 9:41:17 PM
On Jun 17, 9:20=A0pm, Joseph M. Newcomer <newco...@flounder.com> wrote:
> My S.O. has a degree in "Library Science" (and is a professor in the depa=
rtment). =A0I have
> been at parties where people talk about "Library Science", and I use the =
line "any field
> that has to label itself a science probably isn't" at which point they ch=
allenge me,
> "What's your degree in?" to which I reply "Computer Science")
>
> Characterization of languages:
>
> C - gives you all the power you need, including the ability to shoot your=
self in the foot

> Assembler - lets you shoot the disk in the foot, after which your manager=
 shoots you

> C++ - The problem is that between foot objects, foot pointers, and foot r=
eferences, you
> can't figure out whether you have shot yourself in the foot or virtually =
shot your virtual
> foot
>
> FORTRAN - Lets you shoot one toe in each DO-loop iteration
>
> Pascal - The type system prevents you from confusing guns with feet. =A0U=
nfortunately, it
> prevents you from doing anything else useful.
>
> Java - Write once, shoot in foot everywhere
>
> C# - Your feet are automatically garbage collected when they have enough =
holes in them

> Visual Basic - Impossible to shoot yourself in the foot, or do much else =
interesting, but
> you get a Really Cool User Interface
>
> Ada - The DoD marches in a squad of soldiers, they put you up against the=
 wall, and *they*
> shoot you in the foot
>
> APL - You hear a loud noise, you look down and you see a hole in your foo=
t, but you can't
> remember enough linear algebra to figure out what happened

Hey, I love this!

Kinda unfair to Pascal, though. I've worked with a couple of several
implementations (Borland's and "free") aimed at real world and they
all had decent straitjacket-liberation mechanisms. I've honestly come
to consider such Pascal a better C. But never though that "object"
Pascal, albeit nice, was better than C++.

Kinda too fair to VB - you actually get really _bad_ UI, more often
than not.

Java and C# - right on the money. Ada - most hilarious.

;-)

Goran.
0
Goran
6/18/2010 6:32:08 AM
Isn't that the one where "this code has a bug in it, or not, but until you look at it, it
exists in a state where it both has and doesn't have bugs.  When you look at it, the
probability wave collapses and you either have code with a bug or without a bug"

Sort of like a recent thread of posts about someone whose code was perfect until
inspected...
				joe

On Thu, 17 Jun 2010 23:41:17 +0200, Giovanni Dicanio
<giovanniDOTdicanio@REMOVEMEgmail.com> wrote:

>On 17/06/2010 17:50, David Webber wrote:
>
>> The thing about rocket science is that it isn't really rocket science
>> you know :-) CMFCToolBar - now *that's* rocket science! At least today
>> it is, and the rocket is pointing at my feet :-(
>
>If you can figure out Schrodinger's equation and quantum mechanics you
>can figure out MFC classes of course :)
>
>Giovanni
Joseph M. Newcomer [MVP]
email: newcomer@flounder.com
Web: http://www.flounder.com
Joseph
6/18/2010 2:09:27 PM
On 18/06/2010 16:09, Joseph M. Newcomer wrote:

> Sort of like a recent thread of posts about someone whose code was perfect until
> inspected...

Yes, Joe: the Heisenbug!

:)

Giovanni
0
Giovanni
6/18/2010 6:06:47 PM
Actually, that term is a misnomer; it refers to a specific situation where, when you go to
inspect the bug (with the debugger) the bug is gone, and when you run without the
debugger, the bug appears.  Since it is completely deterministic in this regard,the
well-established use of "Heisenbug" is actually incorrect.  The probability wave has
collapsed.
					joe

On Fri, 18 Jun 2010 20:06:47 +0200, Giovanni Dicanio
<giovanniDOTdicanio@REMOVEMEgmail.com> wrote:

>On 18/06/2010 16:09, Joseph M. Newcomer wrote:
>
>> Sort of like a recent thread of posts about someone whose code was perfect until
>> inspected...
>
>Yes, Joe: the Heisenbug!
>
>:)
>
>Giovanni
Joseph M. Newcomer [MVP]
email: newcomer@flounder.com
Web: http://www.flounder.com
Joseph
6/18/2010 6:44:15 PM

> On 17/06/2010 17:50, David Webber wrote:
>
>> The thing about rocket science is that it isn't really rocket science
>> you know :-) CMFCToolBar - now *that's* rocket science! At least today
>> it is, and the rocket is pointing at my feet :-(
>
> If you can figure out Schrodinger's equation and quantum mechanics you can
> figure out MFC classes of course :)

You know where you are with Quantum Mechanics.  Well, either that or how
fast you're going. :-)

The point is that  there's DOCUMENTATION for Schroedinger's Equation and
Quantum Mechanics.   These new CMFC.... classes don't seem to have any.

I now have a dozen or so working CMFCToolBar toolbars - at least working in
the sense I can customise them.  (I haven't plugged the command handlers in
yet.)   But I have more questions the further I get into them.   I'll ask
another when I get frustrated enough.

Dave
--
David Webber
Mozart Music Software
http://www.mozart.co.uk
For discussion and support see

David
6/18/2010 11:57:29 PM
WHAT!!!! You expect DOCUMENTATION????

Don't you know about the New Standard for Documentation?

"We don't DO no stinkin' documentation!"

				joe

On Sat, 19 Jun 2010 00:57:29 +0100, "David Webber" <dave@musical-dot-demon-dot-co.uk>
wrote:

>"Giovanni Dicanio" <giovanniDOTdicanio@REMOVEMEgmail.com> wrote in message
>> On 17/06/2010 17:50, David Webber wrote:
>>
>>> The thing about rocket science is that it isn't really rocket science
>>> you know :-) CMFCToolBar - now *that's* rocket science! At least today
>>> it is, and the rocket is pointing at my feet :-(
>>
>> If you can figure out Schrodinger's equation and quantum mechanics you can
>> figure out MFC classes of course :)
>
>You know where you are with Quantum Mechanics.  Well, either that or how
>fast you're going. :-)
>
>The point is that  there's DOCUMENTATION for Schroedinger's Equation and
>Quantum Mechanics.   These new CMFC.... classes don't seem to have any.
>
>I now have a dozen or so working CMFCToolBar toolbars - at least working in
>the sense I can customise them.  (I haven't plugged the command handlers in
>yet.)   But I have more questions the further I get into them.   I'll ask
>another when I get frustrated enough.
>
>Dave
Joseph M. Newcomer [MVP]
email: newcomer@flounder.com
Web: http://www.flounder.com
Joseph
6/19/2010 12:36:19 AM
In article <k59k16t0qafi5iceog2mdeq8keqjvfn52j@4ax.com>,
newcomer@flounder.com says...

[ ... ]

> There is a silly psychological test that tries to tell you about your personality type. It
> contains silly questions like "Do you care about the big picture or little details?" and
> of course the answer is "yes".  In fact, I was halfway through it when I started laughing.
> EVERY either-or question was answerable by "yes".  As a programmer, I *have* to care about
> the little details.  But as a software architect and designer, I *have* to care about the
> "big picture".  Every question I'd hit had that property.  It was clear that the questions
> had never been designed with a programmer in mind...

At least in my experience, the defining characteristic of a person
who can program is the ability to think (comfortably) at widely
varying levels of abstraction, and shift from one to another quickly,
easily and fluidly.

For better or worse, however, that ability seems to be so rare among
most of the rest of the population that most don't consider even the
possibility that it could exist.

--
    Later,
    Jerry.

Outlook 2003 vs. Windows 2003 and Windows Xp Login
I've a setup where my clients are asked for login everytime they open Outlook. For some reason the system works different from XP to Win 2k3 When a XP user logs in it stores the Username in hkcu\software\microsoft\exchange And the next time he open outlook i remembers the Username. and asks for password. On 2k3, it dosn't write this, and ask for user and pass everytime. Wich makes login irritating for 2k3 users. Tried manualy to enter this info into registry, but no luck. Is that a limit in 2K3 or is there a "feature" i've not been able to discover. (also tried u...

Visio 2002: Save as Web Page & Link to PowerPoint vs. embedding PP dilemma
I have a dilemma. I have a multi-page flow chart in Visio 2002. Within the flow chart I link to several PowerPoint(PP) files that give details on steps within the flow chart. Problem: When I save as a webpage and then click on one of the links to a PP it works fine. But when I return to the flow chart, it always returns to the first page of my flow chart. Thus, I lose my place in the flow. I guess it has something to do with frames and returning to the frame I was on. ...a little over my head. Attempted Solution and the problem with it: So, I began pasting all of the PPs in the Vi...

Administrative Time Committed vs Planned
We are converting from non-working project plans to Administrative Time. The question has been asked, when you click on the Plan Administrative Time button, there is an option for Committed and a row for Planned. I have informed my team to use the Planned row, but what and when do you use the Committed row. Sheri -- I already answered your question, so you don't need to repeat it. -- Dale A. Howard [MVP] VP of Educational Services msProjectExperts http://www.msprojectexperts.com http://www.projectserverexperts.com "We write the books on Project Server" ...

MS CRM vs Axapta CRM
Hi there, Does anyone know what the key differences are between MS CRM and Axapter CRM and where Microsoft is positioning the two applications? Also what is the future of Axapter CRM? Will MS CRM eventually have the same functionality as Axapter CRM which will then be phased out? TIA my impression is that MS CRM is microsoft's strategy for CRM moving forward. I'm sure other other apps from microsoft with CRM functionality will be phased out. However this is my opinion - only time will tell what Microsoft will do. "Karl Iuel" <Somewhere@there.com> wrote in mess...

Exch2K3
Hi You All! I'm currently evaluating Exchange Server 2003 for a corporate customer with 30 mailboxes. I read somewhere (Windows IT Pro Magazine, june 2005) that the IS (Information Store) for the Standard version is limited to 16 GB. Doesn't it really mean that in my case (30 users), each user will be limited to 500 MB of mails, more or less? Is there a way to avoid this limitation (archiving the mails etc...) and be able to stick to the Standard version, instead of the Enterprise version which is pretty off the financial means of my customer? Help appreciated. Nicolas First o...

reference to cells in other files: direct vs indirect
I inherited a behemoth of an Excel file (Excel 2003) that was created by multiple people in different countries, who may or may not have left the company. Anyway, I'm on my own. In one of the sheets, I find the following functions: Cell U1: ='Site General'!U1 Cell U2: ="["&INDIRECT("u$1")&"]Recurrent (Summary by Unit)"&"" Cell U4 and below: =IF(ISERROR(INDIRECT(ADDRESS($L4;4;;1;U$2)));0;INDIRECT(ADDRESS ($L4;4;;1;U$2))) ($L4 becomes $L5, $L6,...) The result of these functions is: Cell U1: V5 Spain.XLS --> this is a file th...

SBS2003 (Outlook) vs. NNTP
I have not yet broken the code on how to get NNTP messages from news.microsoft.com to populate into Outlook Public Folders on an SBS2003, SP1 system. Oddly, I have managed to get the newsgroup names to be created when set as a peer server, but no messages are showing up. But whether news.microsoft.com is configured as a master or peer, makes no difference when it comes to the messages themselves. The only place where I know to do any configuration is in the default NNTP virtual server. I am using anonymous authentication, and I am out of ideas. Can someone point me to a resource where I...

Web based vs outlook CRM
I am new to a company that has the CRM web based program. The main things i am needing to accomplish are: - merging contact info. for aprox. 2000 accounts into customer e-mails and fax templates This is our PRIMARY focus and goal for the inside sales group. QUESTION - CAN THIS EASILY BE ACCOMPLISHED USING THE WEB BASED VERSION OF CRM, OR DO I NEED THE OUTLOOK VERSION ?????? HELP !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It cann't be done using the web version. So you will need the outlook client. Mail merge is one of the functions which is specific to the outlook client --...

receive vs. send connector?
Why would a receive connector's perm's groups affect mail delivery outbound for an E2K7 org to send mail? Aren't receive connectors only used during the inbound mail process? I had an NDR come back to me when sending from OWA to an external address saying "Your message wasn't delivered because of security policies. Microsoft Exchange will not try to redeliver this message for you. Please provide the following diagnostic text to your system administrator" and it specified my edge server. On my edge server's default receive connector i enabled exchange ser...

2007
I read the conversation about not all fonts available in Publisher at this site, but it did not help. My document is not a Web publication, it is a Print Publication. I have gone to Control Panel, Appearance and Themes, Fonts and all the true type fonts are there. But when in Publisher and the menu for fonts, none of the true types are available. I am able to use the true type fonts in other software, so the printer is not a problem. How do I use true type fonts in Publisher 2007? Sandy M EggHeadCafe - .NET Developer Portal of Choice http://www.eggheadcafe.com Do you have a default p...

HQ Dynamic vs Static fields
Does anybody have a map of all the HQ / SO fields identifing if they are Dynamic or static fields? Currently I'm trying to update the custom fields in the Item record and need to know if I have to do it manually in all databases, or do it in HQ ( I haven't found a worksheet to propigate these fields). Thanks, TomT What exactly is it that you are trying to update, is it the custom captions? or the information in the custom fields en masse? I have commands to change the custom captions if that is what you need. -- Jenny "TomT" wrote: > Does anybody have a ma...

Mount Points vs. Drive Letter?
Is there a performance penalty for using mount points instead of drive letters? I have PC with 4 local hard disks and a DVD drive. Instead of having drive C:, D:, E:, F:, and G:, I was thinking of just have a drive C: and D: (D: would be the DVD) and accessing the other drives through mount points. In this scenarios when I read/write to a drive through a mount point am I also having to access drive C: to resolve the mount point? If so, does this add overhead to each drive access through a mount point? If a mount point is just a logical thing with no physical overhead it would b...

MS Word 07 vs Publisher 07
I have both MS Word 2007 and Publisher 2007. Besides the file ext. is there really that much difference between the two. It seems I can do just as much in Word as I can in Publisher. Example: Pictures, News Letters, Mail merge, design, ect. Am I missing something except for the cost? -- Bobby Pickett representing http://www.monsterpowersports.com Big difference. Publisher is a desktop publishing program and you can do much more with it than you can with Word as far as layout is concerned. Word..obviously is a word processor, but you will find that you will use them both inconjunction...

VS 2005 Standard or Pro?
Trying to decide which way to go. Have VC++ 6 pro and am somewhat comfortable with it. Going to VS 2005 for various reasons, but need something "easy to use". I read somewhere that VS 2005 Standard has an "easy to use user interface", but not sure about VS 2005 Pro. Any experience, recommendations? Thanks, Harald I don't think there is any difference between the UI in any of the different versions. The difference is in the packaging, as in what extras comes with the pro that doesn't with the standard. I think today there are only Express, Pro and Team Su...

Backups 2004 vs 2006
I just noticed a difference in the 2 programs and asking if it's something I setup. Is there a way to have Money 2006 show me the file path in the backup prompt ? For backups I use d:\Backups\M2004 and d:\Backups\M2006 folders. Each month I create a new file in there so if I need to go back to ... Mar 2006 I can recreate my file to that date. So I just chose backup from the M2004 menu , backed up to the Oct file, then clicked on the x in upper right to close Money and was prompted ( I have it set to prompt me) to backup the file . When I exit it prompts me to backup and it shows m...

Is it true that Exchange Standard and Enterprise editions can see only 4GB of memory?
Is it true that Exchange Standard and Enterprise editions can see only 4GB of memory? -- Spin http://support.microsoft.com/kb/827281/en-us "Spin" <Spin@spin.com> wrote in message news:43tcb2F1pg0vuU1@individual.net... > Is it true that Exchange Standard and Enterprise editions can see only 4GB > of memory? > > -- > Spin > > Kinda true. It does not support PAE, and cannot "efficiently use" more than 4 Gigs. Not sure how 32-bit Windows OSes can recognize more than 4 Gigs w/o PAE. http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-u...

Problem with investment vs cash balances in Money 2004
I am having a terrible problem with balancing the cash side of an investment account. I have searched this newsgroup and have already tried the various "file repair" options (i.e., msmoney -s, quick and standard file repair, and salvage). I have even exported the account and reimported it. However, none of these attempts have fixed the problem (or even identified that anything is wrong with the file). Here is what I am experiencing: I use a brokerage account as my checking account. I download transactions periodically and reconcile the cash side monthly against my paper...

!Urgent: Ask for XPath support in VS 2005
Hi, How is the support of VS 2005 to XPath? In fact, I care about only very simple XPath here, such as a//b[@lang='eng']. And I want parse it into a tree so I can easily manipulate it. Please someone tell me how to do it. I need it in a hurry. Joe * Joe.ntang@gmail.com wrote in microsoft.public.dotnet.xml: >How is the support of VS 2005 to XPath? In fact, I care about only >very simple XPath here, such as a//b[@lang='eng']. And I want parse it >into a tree so I can easily manipulate it. If I understand you correctly, you want to parse an XPath expression and mani...

Notes vs. Tasks...
Is there any way to make notes appear on your calendar view as tasks do? Also, is there any way to incorporate multiple users' calendars on one calendar view (ie. proxy)? Thanx. Steven <stmasi@hotmail.com> wrote: > Is there any way to make notes appear on your calendar > view as tasks do? I don't know of a way. You can, however, have both a Calendar and a Tasks window open simultaneously. Open the Calendar. Then, right-click on Tasks and choose "Open in new window". > Also, is there any way to incorporate multiple users' > calendars on one cal...

Microsoft Project Server
Hi, let's say that I have a schedule with a task that has a "Work" value of 100 hours. My employee logs 150 hours on this task, and I approve it. Will this task show 100 hours, or 150 hours in the Actual Work field in the "Task Usage" view? Thank you. Eric Hello Eric, Definitely, this task will show 150 hours of Actual Work in Project Pro. G�rard Ducouret "Eric" <Eric@discussions.microsoft.com> a �crit dans le message de news: D36CAF09-0D4D-4A5E-A170-2EB49DD18B38@microsoft.com... > Hi, let's say that I have a schedul...

Addins with isaddin property to false in excel 2007
i have an addin its shared from Review--Share workbook --and i clicked allow changes by more than one user at a time....... Then, i made the isaddin property of the workbook false. I then saved it as addin But, when i tried to load that as addin excel 2007 doesnot allows that. it says it is not a valid addin that was not the case for excel 2003 any tips or did i made any mistakes. Tips suggestions in any form will be highly appreciated. Thanks in advance. Why are you sharing an addin, isn't that a tortology? -- HTH Bob "Subodh" <getsubodh@gmail.co...

Excel 2000/Xp vs Excel 2003
Question regarding the drop down selection in Excel between these versions. I have a spreadsheet that was created in Excel XP. I have a drop down selection that users select. It works well in Excel 2000 & XP, it doesn't allow me to select an option when I open it in Excel 2003. Any suggestions?? Thanx...JF -- Ltat42a ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Ltat42a's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=24735 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=478417 Is the dropdown from Da...

TRUE/FALSE NUMBER CLOSER/NEARER??-please help anyone
hi all, can anyone help me with this problem. i am after a formula that produces a TRUE or FALSE when 2 or mor different numbers are the closest to the objective number. below are some examples. 500 is 275 closer to 500 than 400:answer: FALSE is 400 closer to 500 than 275:answer :TRUE basically the formula should be like this:which is closer to 500, 27 (false) or 400 (true). or 15 is 16 closer to 15 than 17:answer:TRUE is 17 closer to 15 than 16:answer:FALSE hope everyone can understand the examples. i also help someone out there can help me with this formual. thankyou for reading this THR...

works cited vs. Bibliography
I was really thrilled to learn about the citations & Bibliography features available in Word 2007, however what puzzels me a bit is that it appears to be possible to create both 'bibliographies' and 'works cited' lists. This, I thought, would imply that one is the total list of sources used - the other just the ones quoted. It seems they are exactly the same! Am I overlooking something, is this a bug, or ? Your thinking is correct, but this is not a bug. You are being mislead as those words are just titles of building blocks. They don't represent a diffe...

Images
I'm pretty new to Publisher. I have a 72 dpi graphic logo as a .TIFF, done up in Photoshop CS2 that I'd like to lay on a document in Publisher. Sounds simple. And it is until I get a look at the crummy results. In a word: Blurry - to say the least. But, if I insert this very same logo into another MS product like Word 2003, it's really quite nice - clear and crisp - edges well defined, color has "pop" and so forth. I don't understand why and how do I set Publisher to achieve the same nice display I get in Word? Thanks. Do you have detailed display enabled? Vi...