timer functions-SetTimer(help-urgently)

hello,
        I am reading a file in chunks of 512 bytes(i am reading 2 such
blocks).I am calling SetTimer function.And in corresponding OnTimer function
I am writing code for displaying the file data on a  graph control placed in
my dialog box.I am calling the KillTimer function after the 2 chunks of data
are displayed as graphs.
But when i close the dialog or press OK/Cancel button the dialog MFC
application error box appears which asks "whether to send the error report to
microsoft".Why is this coming?First i thought maybe the KillTimer function
isnt properly called but that is not the case since when i debugged the
program i got the result that Killtimer is properly called.
     Its after i close the .EXE or press OK to close the dialog then the MFC
error box appears.

please please help fast..
p.s.-as i degugged the program an unexpected exception  occurs after i press
OK or Close button

0
sayu (83)
7/20/2005 1:39:01 PM
vc.mfc 33608 articles. 0 followers. Follow

sayu wrote:
> please please help fast..
> p.s.-as i degugged the program an unexpected exception  occurs after i press
> OK or Close button

You should track the bug starting from this exception. The debugger will
stop the execution on the place where this exception occurred, exactly
on the instruction that cannot be executed. If you can't find the bug
post here several lines before and after the code that's causing the
exception.
0
mac1 (347)
7/20/2005 1:58:30 PM
sayu wrote:
> hello,
>         I am reading a file in chunks of 512 bytes(i am reading 2 such
> blocks).I am calling SetTimer function.And in corresponding OnTimer function
> I am writing code for displaying the file data on a  graph control placed in
> my dialog box.I am calling the KillTimer function after the 2 chunks of data
> are displayed as graphs.
> But when i close the dialog or press OK/Cancel button the dialog MFC
> application error box appears which asks "whether to send the error report to
> microsoft".Why is this coming?First i thought maybe the KillTimer function
> isnt properly called but that is not the case since when i debugged the
> program i got the result that Killtimer is properly called.
>      Its after i close the .EXE or press OK to close the dialog then the MFC
> error box appears.
>
> please please help fast..
> p.s.-as i degugged the program an unexpected exception  occurs after i press
> OK or Close button

The timer functions are unlikely to be the cause of your problem. Most
likely you have a bug somewhere else in your program. Try posting a
minimal example that reproduces the behaviour (the key here is minimal
- for one you may spot the problem yourself, if not the smaller the
better to be easily digestible by others who may be able to help).

Regards,

Hugh

0
hughgray (73)
7/20/2005 2:10:05 PM
This is my OnTimer() code
CDialogDlg::OnTimer()
{
UpdateData(TRUE);

    var_x=0;
    static int i=0;
    static int j=512;

    m_ctrl.ClearGraph();//each time before plotting graph earlier graph on
screen   erased//

    for(;i<j;i++)
  {

	     m_ctrl.SetElementLineColor(2000);
	     m_ctrl.PlotXY(var_x,(double)buff[i],0);//plotting 512 bytes of data
	     var_x=var_x+(46.875/1000);

    }
	j=j+512;//increment j so that in next SetTimer loopnext chunk of 512 bytes
plotted;i.e.from 512-1023bytes//

    if(j>1024)
	{
	  r=KillTimer(s);//If 1024 chunks are plotted i Wish to end call to
SetTimer;hence calling KillTimer()//
	}
	UpdateData(FALSE);

}

I degugged the program by palcing breakpoint on KillTimer function.Both the
graphs are plotted successfully an dthen plotting stops(that means KillTimer
is called).Now as i press OK/CANCEL/Close button to close the dialog it gives
message that unhandled exception occcured in dialog.exe

please help

"Mihajlo Cvetanović" wrote:

> sayu wrote:
> > please please help fast..
> > p.s.-as i degugged the program an unexpected exception  occurs after i press
> > OK or Close button
>
> You should track the bug starting from this exception. The debugger will
> stop the execution on the place where this exception occurred, exactly
> on the instruction that cannot be executed. If you can't find the bug
> post here several lines before and after the code that's causing the
> exception.

0
sayu (83)
7/21/2005 6:53:05 AM
sayu wrote:
> This is my OnTimer() code
> CDialogDlg::OnTimer()
> {
> UpdateData(TRUE);
>
>     var_x=0;
>     static int i=0;
>     static int j=512;
>
>     m_ctrl.ClearGraph();//each time before plotting graph earlier graph on
> screen   erased//
>
>     for(;i<j;i++)
>   {
>
> 	     m_ctrl.SetElementLineColor(2000);
> 	     m_ctrl.PlotXY(var_x,(double)buff[i],0);//plotting 512 bytes of data
> 	     var_x=var_x+(46.875/1000);
>
>     }
> 	j=j+512;//increment j so that in next SetTimer loopnext chunk of 512 bytes
> plotted;i.e.from 512-1023bytes//
>
>     if(j>1024)
> 	{
> 	  r=KillTimer(s);//If 1024 chunks are plotted i Wish to end call to
> SetTimer;hence calling KillTimer()//
> 	}
> 	UpdateData(FALSE);
>
> }
>
> I degugged the program by palcing breakpoint on KillTimer function.Both the
> graphs are plotted successfully an dthen plotting stops(that means KillTimer
> is called).Now as i press OK/CANCEL/Close button to close the dialog it gives
> message that unhandled exception occcured in dialog.exe
>
> please help
>
> "Mihajlo Cvetanovic" wrote:
>
> > sayu wrote:
> > > please please help fast..
> > > p.s.-as i degugged the program an unexpected exception  occurs after i press
> > > OK or Close button
> >
> > You should track the bug starting from this exception. The debugger will
> > stop the execution on the place where this exception occurred, exactly
> > on the instruction that cannot be executed. If you can't find the bug
> > post here several lines before and after the code that's causing the
> > exception.

One quick point - try not to use UpdateData the way you are, instead
use control variables and SetWindowText, GetWindowText etc.

In terms of the error you're encountering I can't see anything that
would cause this and so the advice in my first reply still stands -
start cutting out bits of code until you get a minimal example that
reproduces this bug then if you still can't solve it yourself post it
here. For example, what happens if you comment out all of the timer
stuff completely?

Regards,

Hugh

0
hughgray (73)
7/21/2005 7:54:41 AM
There's not enough information to reach a conclusion (especially: where
did exception occurred). Maybe answers to these questions may help.

What is the size of buff array?

Will the exception occur even if you don't set the timer?

Shouldn't if(j>1024) be actually if(j>=1024) to kill the timer?

Can you enter the code where the exception occurs?
0
mac1 (347)
7/21/2005 8:54:07 AM
Well first thing is the positon of KillTimer function ok in the code?

Results seen on debugging( I am giving u actual steps f what happened)-
1)If breakpoint at SetTimer() function

As I press F5,first and second graph appear as per time in SetTimer
function. Dialog waits for user to press key. As I press OK/Cancel message of
“unhandled Exception” is shown execution control goes to
CWnd::DestroyWindow() function.
I am showing here some lines in the function:-
#ifdef _AFX_NO_OCC_SUPPORT
	BOOL bResult = ::DestroyWindow(m_hWnd);
#else //_AFX_NO_OCC_SUPPORT
	BOOL bResult;
	if (m_pCtrlSite == NULL)
		bResult = ::DestroyWindow(m_hWnd);
	else
		bResult = m_pCtrlSite->DestroyControl();  //execution stops at this point//
#endif //_AFX_NO_OCC_SUPPORT

	// Note that 'this' may have been deleted at this point,
	//  (but only if pWnd != NULL)
	if (pWnd != NULL)
	{
		// Should have been detached by OnNcDestroy
#ifdef _DEBUG
		ASSERT(pMap->LookupPermanent(hWndOrig) == NULL);
#endif
	}
	else
	{
#ifdef _DEBUG
		ASSERT(m_hWnd == hWndOrig);
#endif
		// Detach after DestroyWindow called just in case
		Detach();
	}
	return bResult;

2)If breakpoint  is set at KillTimer() function

As I press F5 first graph appears in dialog and then the dialog
disappeares.Again I press F5 ,this time second graph appears on dialog and
dialog box waits for key to be pressed..As I press OK/Cancel same error of
unhandled exception occurs and control again goes to Cwnd::DestroyWindow()
function as given in above code.Execution also stops as same point above

Please help

"hughgray@hotmail.co.uk" wrote:

> sayu wrote:
> > hello,
> >         I am reading a file in chunks of 512 bytes(i am reading 2 such
> > blocks).I am calling SetTimer function.And in corresponding OnTimer function
> > I am writing code for displaying the file data on a  graph control placed in
> > my dialog box.I am calling the KillTimer function after the 2 chunks of data
> > are displayed as graphs.
> > But when i close the dialog or press OK/Cancel button the dialog MFC
> > application error box appears which asks "whether to send the error report to
> > microsoft".Why is this coming?First i thought maybe the KillTimer function
> > isnt properly called but that is not the case since when i debugged the
> > program i got the result that Killtimer is properly called.
> >      Its after i close the .EXE or press OK to close the dialog then the MFC
> > error box appears.
> >
> > please please help fast..
> > p.s.-as i degugged the program an unexpected exception  occurs after i press
> > OK or Close button
>
> The timer functions are unlikely to be the cause of your problem. Most
> likely you have a bug somewhere else in your program. Try posting a
> minimal example that reproduces the behaviour (the key here is minimal
> - for one you may spot the problem yourself, if not the smaller the
> better to be easily digestible by others who may be able to help).
>
> Regards,
>
> Hugh

0
sayu (83)
7/21/2005 10:03:05 AM
my answers to Mihajlo's questions:

1)Size of buff array is 1024 since i am storing 1024 bytes of data.
2)when i displayed 1 set of data(512 bytes) in OnInitdialog() function(not
using SetTimer  and Ontimer) then there is no problem.so logic is ok
3)no,i think j>1024 is ok coz after i display first graph i increment j by
512 which makes j=1024;so if we putj>=1024 then KillTimer will be called
before second graph display
  Please see my code.It outputs the graph successfully.I am only having
problem in closing application provided in my second message
I am also now giving the exception code

"hughgray@hotmail.co.uk" wrote:

> sayu wrote:
> > hello,
> >         I am reading a file in chunks of 512 bytes(i am reading 2 such
> > blocks).I am calling SetTimer function.And in corresponding OnTimer function
> > I am writing code for displaying the file data on a  graph control placed in
> > my dialog box.I am calling the KillTimer function after the 2 chunks of data
> > are displayed as graphs.
> > But when i close the dialog or press OK/Cancel button the dialog MFC
> > application error box appears which asks "whether to send the error report to
> > microsoft".Why is this coming?First i thought maybe the KillTimer function
> > isnt properly called but that is not the case since when i debugged the
> > program i got the result that Killtimer is properly called.
> >      Its after i close the .EXE or press OK to close the dialog then the MFC
> > error box appears.
> >
> > please please help fast..
> > p.s.-as i degugged the program an unexpected exception  occurs after i press
> > OK or Close button
>
> The timer functions are unlikely to be the cause of your problem. Most
> likely you have a bug somewhere else in your program. Try posting a
> minimal example that reproduces the behaviour (the key here is minimal
> - for one you may spot the problem yourself, if not the smaller the
> better to be easily digestible by others who may be able to help).
>
> Regards,
>
> Hugh

0
sayu (83)
7/21/2005 10:12:02 AM
sayu wrote:
> [...]
> > > microsoft".Why is this coming?First i thought maybe the KillTimer function
> > > isnt properly called but that is not the case since when i debugged the
> > > program i got the result that Killtimer is properly called.
> > >      Its after i close the .EXE or press OK to close the dialog then the MFC
> > > error box appears.
> > >
> > > please please help fast..
> > > p.s.-as i degugged the program an unexpected exception  occurs after i press
> > > OK or Close button
> >
> > The timer functions are unlikely to be the cause of your problem. Most
> > likely you have a bug somewhere else in your program. Try posting a
> > minimal example that reproduces the behaviour (the key here is minimal
> > - for one you may spot the problem yourself, if not the smaller the
> > better to be easily digestible by others who may be able to help).

It's still difficult to try and determine what the problem is. However,
you say that execution stops on -

m_pCtrlSite->DestroyControl()

- which may indicate that the problem is related to the ActiveX
graphing control you are using. I would suggest creating a new empty
project and then insert this control onto the main dialog. Run the
project and make sure there's no crash. Then add in small bits of
functionality to clear the graph, display a little data etc. Make sure
there's no crash. It could be that you have to call some kind of
cleanup function on the graph before closing the dialog. Again, there
is not enough information to be sure here.

It might also be worth a check over the documentation for the control
just to make sure you haven't missed anything else.

Is it a well known graphing control you are using? Are there any
support resources available for it? If so you could try that avenue as
well.

Hugh

0
hughgray (73)
7/21/2005 10:39:15 AM
sayu wrote:
> 2)when i displayed 1 set of data(512 bytes) in OnInitdialog() function(not
> using SetTimer  and Ontimer) then there is no problem.so logic is ok

What happens if you display both sets in OnInitDialog?
What happens if you display only one set in OnTimer?
When exception occurs what are the values of "this" and m_pCtrlSite?
Maybe CWnd::DestroyWindow is somehow called twice...
0
mac1 (347)
7/21/2005 11:01:02 AM
I am using NTGraph control which i have downloaded from website
codeproject.com.there is not much document available for it.And at first i
was displaying a chunk of data(512 bytes) in OnInitDialog() without using
SetTimer and Ontimer functions().That was working fine and application was
closing without error.Only after i want to display more than one sets of data
in OnTimer the problem occurs.
I am also giving you the link to code for u to see(from where i downloaded)
LINK-  http://www.codeproject.com/miscctrl/ntgraph_activex.asp

> [...]

> you say that execution stops on -
>
> m_pCtrlSite->DestroyControl()
>
> - which may indicate that the problem is related to the ActiveX
> graphing control you are using. I would suggest creating a new empty
> project and then insert this control onto the main dialog. Run the
> project and make sure there's no crash. Then add in small bits of
> functionality to clear the graph, display a little data etc. Make sure
> there's no crash. It could be that you have to call some kind of
> cleanup function on the graph before closing the dialog. Again, there
> is not enough information to be sure here.
>
> It might also be worth a check over the documentation for the control
> just to make sure you haven't missed anything else.
>
> Is it a well known graphing control you are using? Are there any
> support resources available for it? If so you could try that avenue as

0
sayu (83)
7/21/2005 11:20:04 AM
sayu wrote:
> [...]
> > you say that execution stops on -
> >
> > m_pCtrlSite->DestroyControl()
> >
> > - which may indicate that the problem is related to the ActiveX
> > graphing control you are using. I would suggest creating a new empty
> > project and then insert this control onto the main dialog. Run the
> > project and make sure there's no crash. Then add in small bits of
> > functionality to clear the graph, display a little data etc. Make sure
> > there's no crash. It could be that you have to call some kind of
> > cleanup function on the graph before closing the dialog. Again, there
> > is not enough information to be sure here.
> >
> > It might also be worth a check over the documentation for the control
> > just to make sure you haven't missed anything else.
> >
> > Is it a well known graphing control you are using? Are there any
> > support resources available for it? If so you could try that avenue as

Well I can't vouch for this control but I'll take a look at it when I
get some time. Chances are that the problem could be somewhere else in
your code anyway. I would keep experimenting with removing bits of your
code to see if you can narrow things down.

Regards,

Hugh

0
hughgray (73)
7/21/2005 11:40:11 AM
hughgray@hotmail.co.uk wrote:
> sayu wrote:
> > I am using NTGraph control which i have downloaded from website
> > codeproject.com.there is not much document available for it.And at first i
> > was displaying a chunk of data(512 bytes) in OnInitDialog() without using
> > SetTimer and Ontimer functions().That was working fine and application was
> > closing without error.Only after i want to display more than one sets of data
> > in OnTimer the problem occurs.
> > I am also giving you the link to code for u to see(from where i downloaded)
> > LINK-  http://www.codeproject.com/miscctrl/ntgraph_activex.asp

> > > It's still difficult to try and determine what the problem is. However,
> > > you say that execution stops on -
> > >
> > > m_pCtrlSite->DestroyControl()
> > >
> > > - which may indicate that the problem is related to the ActiveX
> > > graphing control you are using. I would suggest creating a new empty
> > > project and then insert this control onto the main dialog. Run the
> > > project and make sure there's no crash. Then add in small bits of
> > > functionality to clear the graph, display a little data etc. Make sure
> > > there's no crash. It could be that you have to call some kind of
> > > cleanup function on the graph before closing the dialog. Again, there
> > > is not enough information to be sure here.
> > >
> > > It might also be worth a check over the documentation for the control
> > > just to make sure you haven't missed anything else.
> > >
> > > Is it a well known graphing control you are using? Are there any
> > > support resources available for it? If so you could try that avenue as
> > > well.
> > >
> > > Hugh
> > >

> Well I can't vouch for this control but I'll take a look at it when I
> get some time. Chances are that the problem could be somewhere else in
> your code anyway. I would keep experimenting with removing bits of your
> code to see if you can narrow things down.
>
> Regards,
>
> Hugh

Right I've had a quick look at this. I have a simple application
working and I have pasted your OnTimer code in. I have made a couple of
minor modifications to get it to compile on my machine. Here it is -

void CGraphTestDlg::OnTimer(UINT nIDEvent)
{
    UpdateData(TRUE);

    double var_x=0;
    static int i=0;
    static int j=512;

    m_GraphCtrl.ClearGraph();

    for(;i<j;i++)
    {
        m_GraphCtrl.SetElementLineColor(2000);
        m_GraphCtrl.PlotXY(var_x,(double)buff[i],0);
        var_x=var_x+(46.875/1000);
    }
    j=j+512;

    if(j>1024)
    {
        KillTimer(1);
    }

    UpdateData(FALSE);

    CDialog::OnTimer(nIDEvent);
}

I have declared buff as -

double buff[1024];

in the dialog class and initialized every element to 0.2 in
OnInitDialog. I then call SetTimer(1, 1000, NULL). I didn't change any
of the properties of the graph control in the dialog. When executing
all this I get no error when clicking Ok or Cancel. Looks like your
problem is most likely elsewhere in code we haven't seen.

Regards,

Hugh

0
hughgray (73)
7/21/2005 12:50:03 PM

I am working on your points but it will be of help if you please go through
the code of the control whenever you have time.I have given the link to the
control in my earlier message.please tell me if you find some problem in the
control.
thanks and reply

"Mihajlo Cvetanović" wrote:

> sayu wrote:
> > 2)when i displayed 1 set of data(512 bytes) in OnInitdialog() function(not
> > using SetTimer  and Ontimer) then there is no problem.so logic is ok
>
> What happens if you display both sets in OnInitDialog?
> What happens if you display only one set in OnTimer?
> When exception occurs what are the values of "this" and m_pCtrlSite?
> Maybe CWnd::DestroyWindow is somehow called twice...

0
sayu (83)
7/21/2005 1:46:28 PM
sayu wrote:
> I am working on your points but it will be of help if you please go through
> the code of the control whenever you have time.I have given the link to the
> control in my earlier message.please tell me if you find some problem in the
> control.
> thanks and reply
>
> "Mihajlo Cvetanovic" wrote:
>
> > sayu wrote:
> > > 2)when i displayed 1 set of data(512 bytes) in OnInitdialog() function(not
> > > using SetTimer  and Ontimer) then there is no problem.so logic is ok
> >
> > What happens if you display both sets in OnInitDialog?
> > What happens if you display only one set in OnTimer?
> > When exception occurs what are the values of "this" and m_pCtrlSite?
> > Maybe CWnd::DestroyWindow is somehow called twice...

I've already done this with no errors. See my other reply. No point in
two of us doing it.

Hugh

0
hughgray (73)
7/21/2005 2:34:11 PM
sayu wrote:
> I am working on your points but it will be of help if you please go through
> the code of the control whenever you have time.I have given the link to the
> control in my earlier message.please tell me if you find some problem in the
> control.

Because of the rating 4.79 and the fact that the last change was in
August 2003 (and the fact that the exception occurs in your code) my
strong belief is that the bug isn't in the control.
0
mac1 (347)
7/21/2005 2:36:37 PM
hello,
        So r u plotting a graph with y axis values as 0.2.Coz in my code
buff[1024] stores y axis values read from a file(which i am reading in
OnInitDialog()).The i plot data from 0 to 511 bytes in array.Incremnts j;so
that in next SetTimer loop the plot loop works for plotting next 512 values
and then if j>1024 it calls killtimer().
I am thinking of overloading DestroyWindow() function in my class and call
killtimer there.I tried but it isnt working.Please ur suggestion on this.....

"hughgray@hotmail.co.uk" wrote:

> sayu wrote:
> > I am working on your points but it will be of help if you please go through
> > the code of the control whenever you have time.I have given the link to the
> > control in my earlier message.please tell me if you find some problem in the
> > control.
> > thanks and reply

> > > What happens if you display both sets in OnInitDialog?
> > > What happens if you display only one set in OnTimer?
> > > When exception occurs what are the values of "this" and m_pCtrlSite?
> > > Maybe CWnd::DestroyWindow is somehow called twice...
> > >

> I've already done this with no errors. See my other reply. No point in
> two of us doing it.
>
> Hugh

0
sayu (83)
7/22/2005 6:41:02 AM
sayu wrote:
> hello,
>         So r u plotting a graph with y axis values as 0.2.Coz in my code
> buff[1024] stores y axis values read from a file(which i am reading in
> OnInitDialog()).The i plot data from 0 to 511 bytes in array.Incremnts j;so
> that in next SetTimer loop the plot loop works for plotting next 512 values
> and then if j>1024 it calls killtimer().
> I am thinking of overloading DestroyWindow() function in my class and call
> killtimer there.I tried but it isnt working.Please ur suggestion on this.....
>

> "hughgray@hotmail.co.uk" wrote:
>
> > sayu wrote:
> > > I am working on your points but it will be of help if you please go through
> > > the code of the control whenever you have time.I have given the link to the
> > > control in my earlier message.please tell me if you find some problem in the
> > > control.
> > > thanks and reply

> > I've already done this with no errors. See my other reply. No point in
> > two of us doing it.
> >
> > Hugh

The chances of the y values or the timer stuff having anything to do
with your crash are very slim. Try setting all the y values to 0.2 and
see if it makes a difference. Try cutting out bits of functionality
until the problem goes away. Are you allocating any dynamic memory?
What is the call stack when the exception occurs? These are all
questions you should be asking yourself.

As I've already demonstrated the code you originally posted is most
likely not the problem.

Good luck,

Hugh

0
hughgray (73)
7/22/2005 7:55:55 AM
hello guys,
                my problem is solved.Finally tired of all the debugging I
created a new project and inserted the same code in that.It worked
allright!!!!!:)
But thinking about it i decided what could have went wrong with Killtimer or
for that matterCWnd::OnDestroy() and Destoryctrl() in that .Whether some
function might have accidently got deleted or some file.When i posted a query
in my program to find function DestroyCtrl() it gave me message,"cannot find
string".i think these are standard windows functions and are only linked
while compiling and build.So can u people guess what the problem might have
been...It will be useful for me in future....
and thanks a lot for your guidence and help

"hughgray@hotmail.co.uk" wrote:

> sayu wrote:
> > I am working on your points but it will be of help if you please go through
> > the code of the control whenever you have time.I have given the link to the
> > control in my earlier message.please tell me if you find some problem in the
> > control.
> > thanks and reply

> > > What happens if you display both sets in OnInitDialog?
> > > What happens if you display only one set in OnTimer?
> > > When exception occurs what are the values of "this" and m_pCtrlSite?
> > > Maybe CWnd::DestroyWindow is somehow called twice...
> > >

> I've already done this with no errors. See my other reply. No point in
> two of us doing it.
>
> Hugh

0
sayu (83)
7/22/2005 9:43:02 AM
sayu wrote:
> while compiling and build.So can u people guess what the problem might have
> been...It will be useful for me in future....

I guess the bug is in the code that is different in old and new project
:-) There is not enough information to give you more detailed answer.
0
mac1 (347)
7/22/2005 11:08:07 AM
sayu wrote:
> hello guys,
>                 my problem is solved.Finally tired of all the debugging I
> created a new project and inserted the same code in that.It worked
> allright!!!!!:)
> But thinking about it i decided what could have went wrong with Killtimer or
> for that matterCWnd::OnDestroy() and Destoryctrl() in that .Whether some
> function might have accidently got deleted or some file.When i posted a query
> in my program to find function DestroyCtrl() it gave me message,"cannot find
> string".i think these are standard windows functions and are only linked
> while compiling and build.So can u people guess what the problem might have
> been...It will be useful for me in future....
> and thanks a lot for your guidence and help
>

> "hughgray@hotmail.co.uk" wrote:
>
> > sayu wrote:
> > > I am working on your points but it will be of help if you please go through
> > > the code of the control whenever you have time.I have given the link to the
> > > control in my earlier message.please tell me if you find some problem in the
> > > control.
> > > thanks and reply

> > I've already done this with no errors. See my other reply. No point in
> > two of us doing it.
> >
> > Hugh

Glad you managed to fix it.

Hugh

0
hughgray (73)

Function of I beam symbol
In addition to the heavy vertical line of the insertion point, a light I beam also appears. It wanders around in the window, sometimes going up into the ribbon, where it causes unwanted changes that I have to correct. How can I correct this problem? Thanks much Go into Word Options and disable 'Enable Click and Type'. It's the work of the devil. -- Terry Farrell - MSWord MVP "Hank" <Hank@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:877429A0-5B50-41B1-9269-DB0B825A7E9D@microsoft.com... > In addition to the heavy vertical line of the in...

SUMIF help and another query
I'm wondering if someone could help with a problem I am having - not so much a problem - more I'm not as good at Excel as others here and they may be able to help. I'm treasurer of a semi-professional non-league football club. As such I have to calculate travelling expenses for each player. The tax man taxes players on home games and training sessions but doesn't tax the travelling expenses for away games for those players that take their own cars and not the bus. Currently we pay them 15p per mile plus an additional 3p per mile for every passenger - I know, not much - ...

Need help merging two Worksheet_Change modules
I have been give the two modules below, both of which perform some validation on certain cells. The first one stops anybody from trying to remove set data validation by way of pasting into the cell (one of data validation's flaws) the second one stops anybody from deleting or leaving a cell blank when they should be selecting a value from a list. As you can see, the first part of each module starts "Worksheet_Change" so VB doesn't like this. How do I go about merging both my modules so it works? thanks _First_Module_ Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range) &...

percentile function with if
I tried to place a nested if function to only get the percentile o certain values in a data range, but this doesn't work. Ex. get the 25t and 75th percentiles for all values in the 1st group, but not includin any values in the second group. Is there another way to do this -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Hi try the following array formula (entered with CTRL+SHIFT+ENTER) =PERCENTILE(IF(A1:A100="1st group",B1:B100),0.25) Assumptions: - col. A contains your group name - col. B the values -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany > I tried to place a neste...

IF Function Problem
Hello All, I am using Office XP and have the following problem I have a worksheet which uses lookup to extract names from range name Codes as follows Col O=IF(ISNA(VLOOKUP(D2,CODES,6,FALSE)),"",(VLOOKUP(D2,CODES,6,FALSE))) I wish to add another IF condition to the above formula to test that: If Col D2 = EGSP AND Col A = date greater than or equal to 15-Nov-2005 then it should display the name as 'Jack' otherwise 'James'. All other values should remain unchanged Thanks a lot Rashid =IF(D2="EGSP",IF(A2>=--"2005-11-15","Jack",&q...

HELP! Seeking Instructions to Create Report of POS (NOT RMS) Discounts Applied #3
We need to run monthly reports to determine how many of our different Discounts are claimed/used and the proceeds not tendered. We have offered a number of discounts to customers and employees as incentives and cannot find a method to track how each discount is applied (e.g., buy one, get one free with coupon). The built-in Discounted Sales report in POS 2.0 lists only the resulting Sale Price; we seek to have the report sorted by PresetDiscount type but the Advanced Report Filter dialog does not list Discount in the Field dropdown box and we can't locate the table in which transactions...

Timer in class?
Hello! I want to migrate from VB6 to C#. In VB6 I have a class that checks for mails each minute. This mail-check class also instantiates a self-firing timer class (cSelfTimer) because I did not want to put a timer in one of my forms. It looks like this Class clsMail Private WithEvents cTmr as clsTimer Private Sub cTmr_TimerEvent '// Check for new mails End sub End ClsMail Can somebody please tell me how I should do this in C#? Should I write a class in C# that also has a timer class (if such exists) in it, or what would be a nice way to do it in C#?...

spreadsheet function
Have a spreadsheet showing actual financial data for a number of periods by department and account for the entire company. Want to divide the data by data to department and distribute to managers to complete the forecast for the current period. Is there functional way(other than cutting and pasting) to take a sheet and divide the data in multiple sheets? We want them to be able to enter data for the budget period and have the prior periods as comparison. Want to be able to calculate the total variance between their current budget and the original budget. The pivot table functi...

How do I enable megrge cell function
The mere cell function is checked, but dimmed and cannot use it. Most probably I hit a wrong key on my keyboard. Any tips on how to enble this funcion again Is the workbook shared? Is the worksheet protected? Either one will prevent merging cells. Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP On Wed, 24 Dec 2008 08:49:01 -0800, fouz <fouz@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >The mere cell function is checked, but dimmed and cannot use it. Most >probably I hit a wrong key on my keyboard. Any tips on how to enble this >funcion again ...

VB.NET Graphics Help
I want to learn how I can open a .x file, move it, rotate it, color it and pan it around on the screen I am having trouble finding any examples, if anyone knows please share this infromation with me... Thanks Jeff "Jeff" <offload@verizon.net> wrote in message news:%23wNkclofKHA.4592@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl... >I want to learn how I can open a .x file, move it, rotate it, color it and >pan it around on the screen > > I am having trouble finding any examples, if anyone knows please share > this infromation with me... > > > Th...

entering more than seven levels of functions with in a function
I WANT TO PUT MORE THAN SEVEN LEVELS OF FUNCTIONS WITH A FUNCTION. FOR EXAMPLE =IF(B14=10000,14500,IF(B14=10470,15100,IF(B14=10940,15700,IF(B14=11410,16300,IF(B14=11880,16900,IF(B14=12350,17500,IF(B14=12820,18100,IF(B14=13320,18700,IF(B14=13820,19400,IF(B14=14320,20100,IF(B14=14880,20900,IF(B14=15440,21700,IF(B14=16000,22500,IF(B14=16560,23300,IF(B14=17120,24100,IF(B14=17680,24900,IF(B14=18240,25700,IF(B14=18800,26500,IF(B14=19360,27300,IF(B14=19920,28100,IF(B14=20480,28900,IF(B14=21040,29700,IF(B14=21660,30600,IF(B14=22280,31500,IF(B14=22900,32400,IF(B14=23520,33300,0)))))))))))))) BUT E...

HELP Needed: AddJob function not working from XP desktop
I have an application that has been running for many years. It uses AddJob to send an ai file to the printer. Now we are starting to put some XP machines on our desktops and the print functions are not working. My code calls AddJob with Null as the buffer. The return value in cbNeeded tells me how large the buffer should be. So then, I create the buffer and call AddJob again accordingly. This works fine under other operating systems.... 95, 98, etc.... With XP, I'm getting error 1784: The supplied user buffer is not valid for the requested operation. code is similar to: BYTE* bBuf = ...

Macro help needed... #2
New to VBA, I'm struggling to do the following in a worksheet:- For all the cells in the sheet; Begin. If the cell.interior.colorindex is 1 (black) or 15 (light grey), do nothing except move on to the next cell and go back to Begin. If the cell value has anything other than 2 or 3 characters or letters, do nothing except move on to the next cell and go back to Begin. Otherwise, using Select Case, set the background color to an index linked to a particular string in the value, except that if the 2-or-3 character value is not found in the case list, do not change the backgroun...

How long "IF" can work? -help
Hi, I'm using the "IF" command to automatically set my students gred from A,B+,B,C+,C,D, and F. It's all work well until this semester the institution revises the gredding scheme to A,A-,B+,B,B-,C+,C,C-,D+,D, and F. My problem is that I can't seems to program more than 8 (9 if including the final arguments) but i need to be able to put 11 arguments in the formula. Is 9 the final limit of the "IF" command in Excel 2000? How to overcome this problem and how about Excel 2002/XP? If anybody can clarify this? thank you. Fawaz, Malaysia. Try using VLOO...

Duplicate Recipients Nightmare
I have a 2003 domain with 1 exchange 2003 server. My Domain consists of child domains. I have a user, "frank" that I originally created a mailbox for him on his child domain account. This was for testing only. I eventually deleted the mailbox and kept the domain account. I created an account for him in my parent domain and created the mailbox along with that account. Now both accounts were created exactly the same. Prior to creating the parent account, I purged the old mailbox. Everything was looking ok. I setup Outlook for the user and things seemed to be ok. Now he...

A question about thread,please help me
My program environment is .net2005.The partial code is shown as below: void CfinalView::OnRButtonDblClk(UINT nFlags, CPoint point) { CRect rc; GetClientRect(&rc); if(point.x>rc.left&&point.x<(rc.right/2)&&point.y>rc.top&&point.y<rc.bottom) { //AfxBeginThread(RUNTIME_CLASS(CDetailPlot)); } if(point.x>(rc.right/2)&&point.x<rc.right&&point.y>rc.top&&point.y<(rc.bottom/2)) { //AfxMessageBox(_T("haha")); AfxBeginThread(RUNTIME_C...

Disabled AD account--Help!!
We had recently termed an employee, and our first step was to disable the account. We re-enabled it shortly thereafter to back up the email, however, it will not let us log into that account. I've reset passwords, updated RUS several times, and waited about 45 minutes. I just disabled it and enabled it again to see if it would kick into gear with no success. So as it stands now, the account is Enabled, with a fresh password reset, but I cannot get into the account. Our only logon attempts thus far have been through OWA... [UPDATE] I can log into a domain computer with the account,...

Owners of HP dv6-1299er Artist Edition help please
Could someone with HP dv6-1299er Artist Edition laptop send a file for me with its original Artist Edition 2 theme. I reinstalled my Vista and lost it. Thanks a lot. -- AFletcher "AFletcher" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message news:8e33ff091635227c7f93be803cea0d17@nntp-gateway.com... > > Could someone with HP dv6-1299er Artist Edition laptop send a file for > me with its original Artist Edition 2 theme. I reinstalled my Vista and > lost it. Thanks a lot. > > > -- > AFletcher ....and your Vista problem is? -- "...

How to restrict user access to Tools | e-mail account function?
Hi; Is there any way to disallow end user open the Tools | E-mail account function in Outlook 2003? I do not want user to change any settings there? Thanks! You can do this through Group policy. Jim "Kane" <kane@thew3solution.com> wrote in message news:eyQda8vOFHA.3000@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl... > Hi; > > Is there any way to disallow end user open the Tools | E-mail account > function in Outlook 2003? I do not want user to change any settings there? > > Thanks! > > ...

Help required: Automatically completing a list
I have a lengthy list (app. 8500 rows) in the following format: Customer1 OrderNum1 Line1 Value Line2 Value OrderNum2 Line1 Value Customer2 OrderNum1 Line1 Value Line2 Value Line3 Value Is there a formula / macro which would, for the empty cells only, copy the value of the cell above ? Basically I need the list to look like: Customer1 OrderNum1 Line1 Value Customer1 OrderNum1 Line2 Value Customer1 OrderNum2 Line1 Value Customer2 OrderNum1 Line1 Value C...

Newbie: Cell showing formula in words only. Help
Excel 97 on a XP Pro. The formula for this cell is "=CASH!A1". I want it to just copy the content of the A1 cell in the CASH sheet, so whenver I change the content of A1 the cell will be updated automatically. It used to work quite well until yesterday when it just show the words "=CASH!A1" instead of getting the information. What did I do wrong? Help ABC Does this occur with all formulas? Perhaps you are in Formula View. Hit CTRL + `(backquote above Tab key) OR The cell was pre-formatted as Text. Format to General then hit F2 then ENTER to re-enter the formul...

PLEASE HELP! WMM to DVD problem
Hi All, First let me apologize for not having the time to make a formal introduction post but I have been pulling my hair out here trying to take what is a nice and clear 30 minute video in WMM and transfer it to DVD with custom menu and such. I am using Winodws Vista on a Sony Vaio laptop. Now the film as I see it in WMM is nice and clear and the sound is nice and stereo-sounding. It is an .avi in the timeline and is only one large file that is already edited. As I said, it looks clear and sounds clear in the preview pane. Now I have ripped through an entire 50 pack of blank ...

Nested IF & AND functions
Trying to calculate bonus's for employees working >1 year, and based on their pay grade. Yet I'm getting #value, and Excel says I'm using the data type? help please! =IF(AND([Years Service]>=1, "NE"), IF([Pay Grade]=1,$Z$6,IF([Pay Grade]=2, $Z$7, IF([Pay Grade]=3, $Z$8, "Invalid pay grade")))) What is "[Years Service]" and "[Pay Grade]"??????? If another Workbook, you need sheet names and cell addresses. -- Regards Dave Hawley www.ozgrid.com "Stana1027" <Stana1027@discussions.microsoft.com>...

Cannot close help screen
Version: 2004 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: Intel After I open the help menu, there appears to be no means of closing the dialogue box: previously there was a small red button at the top left corner of the box. This recently disappeared and the only way to close the help dialogue box appears to be to quit out of the open file, after which command-w will close the box. <br><br>Any ideas? The Help window has moved up so the red dot is not visible. Drag it down so you can get hold of it. If you click in it, Command + w should close that window whet...

HELP! Cannot locate .pst file
I am running Outlook 2000 on Windows 2000 o/s. When I opened Outlook this morning I received a message saying that it was 'preparing to install Outlook' - I cancelled out of the dialog box. I then discovered to my horror a 'virgin' Outlook, even though I have been using it on a daily basis since 2001! After a lot of (ever more desperate) searching I discovered that my User Profile has been removed/deleted from the computer. I am supposed to be the only person who uses the computer. I searched the hard drive for any .pst files in an attempt to locate my Outlook data, but the...