The application has failed to start because its side-by-side configuration is incorrect

M facing a strange issue ...  M trying to start a service using
CreateService .

Well this service starts properly in XP ( when I install ) but the
same exe when I try to install in Vista ,the service doesnt start ,If
I try to start the service manually it throws back an error saying
"The application has failed to start because its side-by-side
configuration is incorrect" .

This this strange behaviour I observe only in when I build the
application in Release mode .where as Debug mode works fine both in
Vista as well as Xp

Any clue ?
0
ranu2006 (41)
11/23/2007 1:21:20 PM
vc.mfc 33608 articles. 0 followers. Follow

On Fri, 23 Nov 2007 05:21:20 -0800 (PST), jklioe <ranu2006@gmail.com>
wrote:

>M facing a strange issue ...  M trying to start a service using
>CreateService .
>
>Well this service starts properly in XP ( when I install ) but the
>same exe when I try to install in Vista ,the service doesnt start ,If
>I try to start the service manually it throws back an error saying
>"The application has failed to start because its side-by-side
>configuration is incorrect" .
>
>This this strange behaviour I observe only in when I build the
>application in Release mode .where as Debug mode works fine both in
>Vista as well as Xp
>

>Any clue ?

You probably don't have the right DLL(s) installed. Look in the Event
Viewer under Window Logs/Application for a SideBySide error entry, which
will tell you which DLL wouldn't load, its version, etc. You may just need
to run the relevant VS service pack, if VS is installed, or if not, the
relevant VC runtime redistributable.

--
Doug Harrison
Visual C++ MVP

I had linked dyanamically to MFC , I changed this to statically linked
and it worked out ....

which is the right way to link MFC libraries statically or
dynamically ?

On Nov 23, 10:09 pm, "Doug Harrison [MVP]" <d...@mvps.org> wrote:
> On Fri, 23 Nov 2007 05:21:20 -0800 (PST), jklioe <ranu2...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> >M facing a strange issue ...  M trying to start a service using
> >CreateService .
>
> >Well this service starts properly in XP ( when I install ) but the
> >same exe when I try to install in Vista ,the service doesnt start ,If
> >I try to start the service manually it throws back an error saying
> >"The application has failed to start because its side-by-side
> >configuration is incorrect" .
>
> >This this strange behaviour I observe only in when I build the
> >application in Release mode .where as Debug mode works fine both in
> >Vista as well as Xp
>
> >Any clue ?
>
> You probably don't have the right DLL(s) installed. Look in the Event
> Viewer under Window Logs/Application for a SideBySide error entry, which
> will tell you which DLL wouldn't load, its version, etc. You may just need
> to run the relevant VS service pack, if VS is installed, or if not, the
> relevant VC runtime redistributable.
>
> --
> Doug Harrison
> Visual C++ MVP

0
ranu2006 (41)
11/26/2007 8:25:23 AM
"jklioe" <ranu2006@gmail.com> wrote in message

> Thanks I was able to solve my problem...
>
> I had linked dyanamically to MFC , I changed this to statically linked
> and it worked out ....
>
> which is the right way to link MFC libraries statically or
> dynamically ?

It's a question bordering on religious.

Static linking
  Pros - no other dll's required, DLL-hell eliminated, everything needed to
run your app is included in .exe
  Cons - .exe becomes (somewhat) bigger in size, C RTL/MFC code that could
be factored out into dll's is statically linked into each module of your
app, C RTL/MFC code can't be serviced with MS Updates/hot fixes, must ensure
target OS has DLL's compatible with C RTL, e.g. for OLE.

For my usage, static linking is all plus.  The cons don't bother me at all.

-- David

0
dc2983 (3206)
11/26/2007 2:48:26 PM
On Mon, 26 Nov 2007 00:25:23 -0800 (PST), jklioe <ranu2006@gmail.com>
wrote:

>Thanks I was able to solve my problem...
>
>I had linked dyanamically to MFC , I changed this to statically linked
>and it worked out ....

"Doctor, it hurts when I do this."

"Well, don't do that, then."

<g>

>which is the right way to link MFC libraries statically or
>dynamically ?

It's not a question of which is "right", but rather which set of trade-offs
makes sense for you.

Linking dynamically decreases your executable size and allows sharing of
DLLs between processes. It makes it possible to use MFC extension DLLs. It
enables you to take advantage of future fixes to the MFC DLL.

Linking statically relieves you from worrying about deploying the right MFC
DLL (and CRT DLL). It makes you immune to future bugs in the MFC DLL.

For the "cons", logically negate each of the preceding "pros".

By default, I use the DLL version. I use static linking when I don't want
to distribute the MFC/CRT DLLs, and I'd also use it if I were to develop a
COM module in MFC. Using the DLL is bad in the latter context because you
can easily affect the MFC/CRT state of the hosting process, and COM modules
shouldn't do that.

--
Doug Harrison
Visual C++ MVP

Tom

"Doug Harrison [MVP]" <dsh@mvps.org> wrote in message
> On Mon, 26 Nov 2007 00:25:23 -0800 (PST), jklioe <ranu2006@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>>Thanks I was able to solve my problem...
>>
>>I had linked dyanamically to MFC , I changed this to statically linked
>>and it worked out ....
>
> "Doctor, it hurts when I do this."
>
> "Well, don't do that, then."
>
> <g>

0
tom.nospam (3240)
11/26/2007 10:17:40 PM
On Mon, 26 Nov 2007 14:17:40 -0800, "Tom Serface"
<tom.nospam@camaswood.com> wrote:

>I'm not sure the new way of doing things is working out for the best.  I
>think MSFT would prefer more people to use the DLLs rather than statically
>link, and I've heard from several people that they are doing just the
>opposite to "get around the problem".  Maybe this is an example of where the
>cure is worse than the disease.

It probably wouldn't have been that hard to fix. I just reinstalled Vista,
and some of my utility programs wouldn't run. They gave exactly the same
enigmatic side-by-side error, and I guessed they weren't finding the VC80
DLLs, because I hadn't yet installed VS2005. I was planning just to install
VS2008, so I found the correct vcredist_x86.exe for VC2005 at Microsoft
Downloads and installed it. Problem solved! I only later thought to look in
Event Viewer, and for a change, it contained some useful information, in
particular, the name of the DLL. Can't say why the side-by-side message box
couldn't have been as informative.

--
Doug Harrison
Visual C++ MVP

> On Mon, 26 Nov 2007 14:17:40 -0800, "Tom Serface"
> <tom.nospam@camaswood.com> wrote:
>
>>I'm not sure the new way of doing things is working out for the best.  I
>>think MSFT would prefer more people to use the DLLs rather than statically
>>link, and I've heard from several people that they are doing just the
>>opposite to "get around the problem".  Maybe this is an example of where
>>the
>>cure is worse than the disease.
>
> It probably wouldn't have been that hard to fix. I just reinstalled Vista,
> and some of my utility programs wouldn't run. They gave exactly the same
> enigmatic side-by-side error, and I guessed they weren't finding the VC80
> DLLs, because I hadn't yet installed VS2005. I was planning just to
> install
> VS2008, so I found the correct vcredist_x86.exe for VC2005 at Microsoft
> Downloads and installed it. Problem solved! I only later thought to look
> in
> Event Viewer, and for a change, it contained some useful information, in
> particular, the name of the DLL. Can't say why the side-by-side message
> box
> couldn't have been as informative.
>
> --
> Doug Harrison
> Visual C++ MVP

0
tom.nospam (3240)

Queue Configuration
Hi all, I need to set up an email account like support@company.com and have all the emails to that address converted as activities in CRM. Can somebody help me to resolve this or can you recommend some articles about this? Thanks in advance, Didem There are directions in the IG that walk you through the steps in configuring a queue in the system that pulls in emails like this. On Fri, 13 Feb 2004 11:34:48 -0500, "Didem Oguz" <didem.oguz@netsoft-usa.com> wrote: Hi all, I need to set up an email account like support@company.com and have all the emails to that address convert...

Incorrect information on Check Stub
When printing a batch of checks, on the check stub in the field that we have designated for PO Number the information is incorrect/overwritten. In this case I have 18 invoices to pay on one check, nine of them with legitimate PO Numbers and the other nine with notes pertaining to the Invoice number that have been entered in the PO Number field in GP. Seven of the nine PO numbers have been overwritten with the nine notes that were related to the nine invoices directly under the top nine, i.e. the seven PO Numbers have been replaced and are no where on check stub the other two printed f...

How to set Excel to open a new window for each application
When I choose a spreadsheet to open, I want it to open a new window. This used to happen but now opens in the same instance, just hiding my original spreadsheet. How to I get it back to previous settings? Tools-->Options, View tab. Check Windows in Taskbar. ************ Anne Troy www.OfficeArticles.com "Luke" <Luke@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:052E3C3A-8A1A-4EB4-BE2D-B6E09D4D247F@microsoft.com... > When I choose a spreadsheet to open, I want it to open a new window. This > used to happen but now opens in the same instance, just hiding my ori...

Download fails from Wells Fargo
When attempting to download Wells Fargo account information, Money 2004 generates a message indicating the file I am attempting to import is invalid or contains corrupt data. Wells Fargo technical folks don't have an answer. Help. CitiBank had the same error yesterday... "Jax" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:281001c47dea$57f1cc20$a501280a@phx.gbl... > When attempting to download Wells Fargo account > information, Money 2004 generates a message indicating > the file I am attempting to import is invalid or contains > corrupt dat...

can't start Outlook, Runtime error
When I double-click on the icon, I get the message, "Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library." The window says, "This application has requested the runtime to terminate in an unusual way. Please contact the application's support team for more information." WHAT'S WRONG??? ...

Providing files to other applications
Hello, We need to provide files to other applications. To simplify the case, we have some background data storage (databases etc.) which contains files. Users can up- and download files through our .NET application. Now we want to give them the ability to open those files directly from inside our application (like if you click on mail-attachments in outlook), but we want to be able to write back the changes when the user modifies and saves the file in the application. We thought about the following ideas: - Writing out a temporary file, and watch it for changes (this seems to be ...

CRM outlook client start up problem
Hi, I installed Microsoft CRM Outlook client but when I start Microsoft Outlook I got the following message: An error occurred loading Microsoft CRM functionality. Try restarting Microsoft Outlook. Contact your system administrator if errors persist. Can you please help me? Ayen Ayen, What may be the cause is the Comm Add-in, try removing it and re adding it from the Program Files\Microsoft CRM\Client\Bin directory. Its the crmaddin.dll that you need to add. Also make sure that in IE the CRM site is added to thr trusted sites list. HTH Ben Ali AYEN wrote: > Hi, > ...

Cannot start Microsoft Office Outlook 2007 11-24-09
I can no longer access Microsoft Outlook since having ran out of memory on the C:\ After deleting some and letting the disk clean up porgram delete some other files I now receive this error message. "Cannot start Microsoft Office Outlook. Cannot open the Outlook Window" Can anyone help me please - Thank you By memory I guess you mean hard disk space. If you have less than 15% of free space you will run into other win problems - time for a new larger disk? Try Run outlook.exe /resetnavepane (note space between exe /) "Rita" <Rita@discussions.micro...

SSL Certificate server name is incorrect
I get the message (Exchange server 2003 SP1) The SSL certificate server name is incorrect ID no: c103b404 Exchange System Manager When I try to open the propertie-page of any public folder. Does anyone knows of a way to correct this ? TIA Rudy Steyaert Rudy, I assume this is related to the fact you specified HTTPS / SSL on the overall "default web site" in IIS. If SSL is configured for your Exchange OWA, it's only necessary to force SSL on the Exchange FOlder, not the Public or ExchWeb. As the Public Folder properties in your Exchange system manager are making use of...

Creating MDI MFC application using CFormView class.
When I create by AppWizard in Visual Studio .NET 2003 MFC application with CFormView view class, when I choose the option the document frame window to be in maximized state after the application is started, the form view doesn't cover all the space of document frame window, just that of the size of dialog-template resource defined for form view. When I minimalize the document frame window and then maximize it, the form view occupies the entire area of maximized document frame window. Why isn't it so after the form view is first shown? Thanks for advise, ... ...

Exchange 2003 SP2 event 7518 Sender ID must be configured
Exchange 2003 SP2, IMF and Sender ID configured. NOTE: I have read the blurb from Microsoft about the 7518 showing up in the event log if no SMTP server is configured for the SMTP virtual server (default SMTP virtual server). The server I am working on is the only SMTP server (i.e. no separate Gateway), and its configured on the IP address for filter enabled, apply sender ID - so thats not it directly. I have configured "ALL UNASSIGNED" and the local Nat'd internal address for sender id, but the event keeps popping up in the event log. Has any one else seen this? The sender i...

how to configure multiple email id's in multiple folders
Try posting your Q in the body, and explain what you are trying to achive, together with your version of OL and if its an exchange setup "Ram" <Ram@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:D0E40903-7D84-49F2-9F91-F97EAB741806@microsoft.com... > ...

Error when starting up Deployment Manager
When we start up the Deployment manager we get "The selected snap-in did not initialize properly". I know when we first installed the deployment manager came up fine. But shortly after we started getting that message. Your post to that questions was -"Are you logging in with Admin authority". And the answer is yes, I am logging in with Domain Administrator authority. I did notice that originally when we installed the application there was a DOS window that was open when Deployment manager was open, but that is no longer opened, when that software is started. Yes, I am ge...

Money 2005 fails to start on Vista
My Money 2005 was working fine on Vista (see history below) but now when the splash screen comes up it dies with no error message. I've tried uninstall and reinstall using the run by Administrator options, done a registry clean up and still the same thing. I'm at a loss now as to what to do. I'd really rather not upgrade to 2007 but if anyone can offer good reasons why I should it would be appreciated. I'm really getting frustrated with MS and their failure to make Vista compatable to even their own programs! (i.e. issues with Outlook 2002 not storing a password, P...

Exchange Failing when Removing GC from same box
The background: I am trying to install Exchange 2007 but cannot because I have two Windows 2000 DCs with GCs. The two Windows 2000 DCs happen to be on the same boxes as my Exchange 2000 cluster. I have two other Windows 2003 boxes in the same site with all FSMO roles and both are GC. The problem: I'm in a catch 22 because I cannot install Exchange 2007 and when I remove either the GC role from the Windows 2000 boxes or demote them, Exchange fails. The Question: Has anyone come across a situation like this and know of a solution? Thanks In order to install Ex07, you will ne...

at times i have to reboot to start Outlook 2003, any help?
it would be appreciated Sounds like you have a 3rd party application or addin that isn't letting Outlook close properly. Try bringing up the task list (start > run > tasklist.exe > ok button) to see if Outlook is still running when it won't start. (check the processes tab) "skimmi" <skimmi@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:42FAFCC7-55BC-45DB-B8D7-674FF9638B14@microsoft.com... > it would be appreciated Not sure if this helped or not? The problem did happen again and tried what you suggested but the screen only flashed up momentari...

Button fails to call macro when open an Excel via Intranet
Hi all, Can someone help me with my with this problem. I have an Excel file with a button to run a small macro: unhide and displys worksheets. It works when the file is opened with Excel. The macro is simple: Sub Button1_Click() Sheets("FF").Visible = True Sheets("FF").Select Range("C1").Select End Sub I need to open it from an intranet site. When user selects the file, the web app retrieves the file and responses to open an Excel file. But on the intrenet I get the following error massage "The macro "GenerateResource.aspx?Resour...

why can't i find the send button and how do I configure e-mail
I seem to be able to write the e-mail but do not have a button to send. the message tells me my address is not configured? Did you create a profile for Outlook to use? http://www.howto-outlook.com/faq/newprofile.htm "LJDICKER" <LJDICKER@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:211018AE-F489-4002-864E-FAEEC141AF6F@microsoft.com... > I seem to be able to write the e-mail but do not have a button to send. the > message tells me my address is not configured? ...

Two Cdialog windows in same MFC application ???
HI, I am trying to build a simple MFC Application using MSVC 6.0 I require two CDialog windows, simultaneously. The scenario is like two windows receiving each other messages.. The problem is how to activate two CDialogs together...I should be able to select any one by clicking through mouse... Also do they need to be Modal or Modal less... Thanks.. a.a.cpp hi keep the handle of the other dialog box, and send the message to the other dialog box whenever one dialog box get the message. So that they are in synchronous with each other. Alternative is to have the custom mess...

DPM Configuration with SQL Replicated Servers
Is there any documentation about backup and restoring SQL servers that are replicated? TIA Irvin ...

DLL tell what type of application is running.
I'm writing a general purpose error handler that will be used by Windows Apps, Web Apps, Window's Services, ... In other words - just about any program will be calling it. Part of this error routine would be to put up a message box if it's a windows app but only if it's a windows app. How can I make sure that the application that is running is actually a Window's app. I currently am passing in parameters to display the message if appropriate but I want to make sure that somebody doesn't by accident call the routine with a message to display for something ...

American Public University System: Finance Applications Manager Ne
American Public University Finance Application Manager- MS Dynamics Great Plains American Public University System, located in Charles Town, West Virginia, is seeking a qualified Applications Manager with expert knowledge of MS Dynamics Great Plains software. Responsibilities for the position include identification of upgrades and enhancements, development of business requirements and test cases, and maintenance of technical and process configuration for A/R, A/P, and G/L. Qualified candidates must have a Bachelor’s degree and a minimum of 5 years experience in Informatio...

Agent Install on EBS 2008 Failing
I am running DPM 2007 on Windows Storage Server 2003 (Dell DP600 appliance) and trying to protect EBS 2008 which is virtualized. However, I followed the technet article here to setup things: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc512491(WS.10).aspx But I am unable to successfully install the agent on the EBS 2008 servers and get them to talk to DPM. I followed the last part of - To install a DPM protection agent. The agents appear to be installed on the Management, Security and Messaging servers, but cannot seem to attach properly to the DPM server. They show in Err...

How To Execute The Start -> Run Programatically
Hey Friends Can someone suggest how we can Execute The Start -> Run Programatically? Take a look at ShellExecute/CreateProcess. -- Ajay Kalra [MVP - VC++] ajaykalra@yahoo.com "vikrant" <vikrant_kpr@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:eO70xHhjDHA.684@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl... | Hey Friends | | Can someone suggest how we can Execute The Start -> Run Programatically? | | | | Hey...here is another link to TaskInfo 2000. It is a later version but just as good. I don't think you have to register it (can't remember). http://www.devhood.com/tools/tool_details.a...

Idiots amd Noddys guide to Visual Basic for applications
Hi, Can some one recommend a website/book an idiots guide, real nodd explanations for beginners learning Visual Basic for applications, fo somone who know's nothing about visual basic leading them through step by step process. A web site - that can get you stated from very beginning, with ver concise explanations. Walking before you can run style!!!!!! Many thanks, -- grphillip ----------------------------------------------------------------------- grphillips's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1595 View this thread: http://www.excelfor...