strange window resizing glitches under XP (not strictly an MFC question but it's making my app look bad)

I've noticed a very ugly graphical "effect" when resizing a window under XP
(Windows XP style / Silver appearance / ShowContentsWhileDragging).
Resizing the right/bottom edges works like win2k (i.e. as expected) but
dragging the left or top edge causes the right or bottom edges of the
window frame to flicker like hell as the background pops through and then
gets drawn over with the window contents.

Try opening a large window of "My Computer" and then drag the left edge
backwards and forwards across the screen quickly and repeatedly - not nice.

There's also another thing where the resize "tab" at the bottom right of a
window doesn't get redrawn properly when the title bar of another window
is dragged over the "tab" slowly so it's gets hidden and then slowly
revealed. It seems that this only happens if the resize "tab" is in the
extreme bottom-right corner of the window rectangle between two
scrollbars and it has to be the "tab" with the 6 dot pattern rather than the
one with 3 diagonal lines. This problem doesn't occur on Internet Explorer
windows or Outlook Express windows but it does happens on standard
file/directory exporing windows and it happens on my app as welll - i've
done this on two completely different machines with different xp installs so
it seems generic.

I've tried switching to the "Classic/win2k" style and everything updates
cleanly with no glitches - i've upgraded to the latest geforce440
drivers and nothing changed (I'm using a Dell laptop).

Has anyone noticed these problems?  Is there a ServicePack fix for this
resizing logic because it looks dreadful!

Karl.

0
me5306 (285)
2/6/2005 4:19:13 AM
vc.mfc 33608 articles. 0 followers. Follow

"me" <me@here.com> wrote in message
> I've noticed a very ugly graphical "effect" when resizing a window under
> XP
> (Windows XP style / Silver appearance / ShowContentsWhileDragging).
> Resizing the right/bottom edges works like win2k (i.e. as expected) but
> dragging the left or top edge causes the right or bottom edges of the
> window frame to flicker like hell as the background pops through and then
> gets drawn over with the window contents.
>
> Try opening a large window of "My Computer" and then drag the left edge
> backwards and forwards across the screen quickly and repeatedly - not
> nice.
>
> There's also another thing where the resize "tab" at the bottom right of a
> window doesn't get redrawn properly when the title bar of another window
> is dragged over the "tab" slowly so it's gets hidden and then slowly
> revealed. It seems that this only happens if the resize "tab" is in the
> extreme bottom-right corner of the window rectangle between two
> scrollbars and it has to be the "tab" with the 6 dot pattern rather than
> the
> one with 3 diagonal lines. This problem doesn't occur on Internet Explorer
> windows or Outlook Express windows but it does happens on standard
> file/directory exporing windows and it happens on my app as welll - i've
> done this on two completely different machines with different xp installs
> so
> it seems generic.
>
> I've tried switching to the "Classic/win2k" style and everything updates
> cleanly with no glitches - i've upgraded to the latest geforce440
> drivers and nothing changed (I'm using a Dell laptop).
>
> Has anyone noticed these problems?  Is there a ServicePack fix for this
> resizing logic because it looks dreadful!
>
> Karl.

I've noticed everything you've described and then some.  I was thinking of
reverting back to themeless as it does not happen then.

--
Frank Hickman