Steps in displaying a UTF-16 BMP value using TextOutW() ???

Assuming that the typeface represents the character in
question, exactly what additional steps are required to
display a character glyph that is within the Basic
Multi-lingual Plane? Do I have to select a specific CharSet
that differs depending upon the BMP value?

lfCharSet
Specifies the character set. The following values are
predefined:
ANSI_CHARSET
BALTIC_CHARSET
CHINESEBIG5_CHARSET
DEFAULT_CHARSET
EASTEUROPE_CHARSET
GB2312_CHARSET
GREEK_CHARSET
HANGUL_CHARSET
MAC_CHARSET
OEM_CHARSET
RUSSIAN_CHARSET
SHIFTJIS_CHARSET
SYMBOL_CHARSET
TURKISH_CHARSET

0
NoSpam8358 (375)
11/19/2007 3:38:22 PM
vc.mfc 33608 articles. 0 followers. Follow

I don't think these actually apply.  All I do is GetLogFont of the current font, whatever
it is, change the face name to Arial Unicode MS, and CreateFontIndirect.  As you can see
from the LocaleExplorer, I get the entire set of characters in that font.
					joe

On Mon, 19 Nov 2007 09:38:22 -0600, "Peter Olcott" <NoSpam@SeeScreen.com> wrote:

>Assuming that the typeface represents the character in
>question, exactly what additional steps are required to
>display a character glyph that is within the Basic
>Multi-lingual Plane? Do I have to select a specific CharSet
>that differs depending upon the BMP value?
>
>lfCharSet
>Specifies the character set. The following values are
>predefined:
>ANSI_CHARSET
>BALTIC_CHARSET
>CHINESEBIG5_CHARSET
>DEFAULT_CHARSET
>EASTEUROPE_CHARSET
>GB2312_CHARSET
>GREEK_CHARSET
>HANGUL_CHARSET
>MAC_CHARSET
>OEM_CHARSET
>RUSSIAN_CHARSET
>SHIFTJIS_CHARSET
>SYMBOL_CHARSET
>TURKISH_CHARSET

Joseph M. Newcomer [MVP]
email: newcomer@flounder.com
Web: http://www.flounder.com
newcomer (15975)
11/19/2007 4:04:00 PM
"Joseph M. Newcomer" <newcomer@flounder.com> wrote in
message news:ftc3k3tc80asr343s8a6h98dmfk5svairq@4ax.com...
>I don't think these actually apply.  All I do is GetLogFont
>of the current font, whatever
> it is, change the face name to Arial Unicode MS, and
> CreateFontIndirect.  As you can see
> from the LocaleExplorer, I get the entire set of
> characters in that font.
> joe

You still have to specify a CharSet don't you?

> On Mon, 19 Nov 2007 09:38:22 -0600, "Peter Olcott"
> <NoSpam@SeeScreen.com> wrote:
>
>>Assuming that the typeface represents the character in
>>question, exactly what additional steps are required to
>>display a character glyph that is within the Basic
>>Multi-lingual Plane? Do I have to select a specific
>>CharSet
>>that differs depending upon the BMP value?
>>
>>lfCharSet
>>Specifies the character set. The following values are
>>predefined:
>>ANSI_CHARSET
>>BALTIC_CHARSET
>>CHINESEBIG5_CHARSET
>>DEFAULT_CHARSET
>>EASTEUROPE_CHARSET
>>GB2312_CHARSET
>>GREEK_CHARSET
>>HANGUL_CHARSET
>>MAC_CHARSET
>>OEM_CHARSET
>>RUSSIAN_CHARSET
>>SHIFTJIS_CHARSET
>>SYMBOL_CHARSET
>>TURKISH_CHARSET
>>
> Joseph M. Newcomer [MVP]
> email: newcomer@flounder.com
> Web: http://www.flounder.com

NoSpam8358 (375)
11/19/2007 4:35:01 PM
"Joseph M. Newcomer" <newcomer@flounder.com> wrote in
message news:ftc3k3tc80asr343s8a6h98dmfk5svairq@4ax.com...
>I don't think these actually apply.  All I do is GetLogFont
>of the current font, whatever
> it is, change the face name to Arial Unicode MS, and
> CreateFontIndirect.  As you can see
> from the LocaleExplorer, I get the entire set of
> characters in that font.
> joe

What I am looking for is the simplest possible way to simply
get TextOutW() to display a BMP code point.

> On Mon, 19 Nov 2007 09:38:22 -0600, "Peter Olcott"
> <NoSpam@SeeScreen.com> wrote:
>
>>Assuming that the typeface represents the character in
>>question, exactly what additional steps are required to
>>display a character glyph that is within the Basic
>>Multi-lingual Plane? Do I have to select a specific
>>CharSet
>>that differs depending upon the BMP value?
>>
>>lfCharSet
>>Specifies the character set. The following values are
>>predefined:
>>ANSI_CHARSET
>>BALTIC_CHARSET
>>CHINESEBIG5_CHARSET
>>DEFAULT_CHARSET
>>EASTEUROPE_CHARSET
>>GB2312_CHARSET
>>GREEK_CHARSET
>>HANGUL_CHARSET
>>MAC_CHARSET
>>OEM_CHARSET
>>RUSSIAN_CHARSET
>>SHIFTJIS_CHARSET
>>SYMBOL_CHARSET
>>TURKISH_CHARSET
>>
> Joseph M. Newcomer [MVP]
> email: newcomer@flounder.com
> Web: http://www.flounder.com

NoSpam8358 (375)
11/19/2007 5:06:05 PM
Actually, I use whatever is specified, since I think it is ignored anyway.  Probably
ANSI_CHARSET, but you can do a GetLogFont and see what is going on.
					joe

On Mon, 19 Nov 2007 10:35:01 -0600, "Peter Olcott" <NoSpam@SeeScreen.com> wrote:

>"Joseph M. Newcomer" <newcomer@flounder.com> wrote in
>message news:ftc3k3tc80asr343s8a6h98dmfk5svairq@4ax.com...
>>I don't think these actually apply.  All I do is GetLogFont
>>of the current font, whatever
>> it is, change the face name to Arial Unicode MS, and
>> CreateFontIndirect.  As you can see
>> from the LocaleExplorer, I get the entire set of
>> characters in that font.
>> joe
>>

>You still have to specify a CharSet don't you?
>
>> On Mon, 19 Nov 2007 09:38:22 -0600, "Peter Olcott"
>> <NoSpam@SeeScreen.com> wrote:
>>
>>>Assuming that the typeface represents the character in
>>>question, exactly what additional steps are required to
>>>display a character glyph that is within the Basic
>>>Multi-lingual Plane? Do I have to select a specific
>>>CharSet
>>>that differs depending upon the BMP value?
>>>
>>>lfCharSet
>>>Specifies the character set. The following values are
>>>predefined:
>>>ANSI_CHARSET
>>>BALTIC_CHARSET
>>>CHINESEBIG5_CHARSET
>>>DEFAULT_CHARSET
>>>EASTEUROPE_CHARSET
>>>GB2312_CHARSET
>>>GREEK_CHARSET
>>>HANGUL_CHARSET
>>>MAC_CHARSET
>>>OEM_CHARSET
>>>RUSSIAN_CHARSET
>>>SHIFTJIS_CHARSET
>>>SYMBOL_CHARSET
>>>TURKISH_CHARSET
>>>
>> Joseph M. Newcomer [MVP]
>> email: newcomer@flounder.com
>> Web: http://www.flounder.com

Joseph M. Newcomer [MVP]
email: newcomer@flounder.com
Web: http://www.flounder.com
newcomer (15975)
11/19/2007 7:10:40 PM
Here's the code from LocaleExplorer, which can display any Unicode character in the BMP:

CFont * f = GetFont();  // start with current default font
LOGFONT lf;
f->GetLogFont(&lf);
StringCchCopy(lf.lfFaceName, _countof(lf.lfFaceName), newfontname);
// which is set, by the user, via a dialog, to "Arial Unicode MS"
UnicodeFont.CreateFontIndirect(&lf);

I've omitted the error checks, null pointer checks, etc. from the above code to boil it
down to the essentials
					joe

On Mon, 19 Nov 2007 11:06:05 -0600, "Peter Olcott" <NoSpam@SeeScreen.com> wrote:

>"Joseph M. Newcomer" <newcomer@flounder.com> wrote in
>message news:ftc3k3tc80asr343s8a6h98dmfk5svairq@4ax.com...
>>I don't think these actually apply.  All I do is GetLogFont
>>of the current font, whatever
>> it is, change the face name to Arial Unicode MS, and
>> CreateFontIndirect.  As you can see
>> from the LocaleExplorer, I get the entire set of
>> characters in that font.
>> joe
>>

>What I am looking for is the simplest possible way to simply
>get TextOutW() to display a BMP code point.
>
>> On Mon, 19 Nov 2007 09:38:22 -0600, "Peter Olcott"
>> <NoSpam@SeeScreen.com> wrote:
>>
>>>Assuming that the typeface represents the character in
>>>question, exactly what additional steps are required to
>>>display a character glyph that is within the Basic
>>>Multi-lingual Plane? Do I have to select a specific
>>>CharSet
>>>that differs depending upon the BMP value?
>>>
>>>lfCharSet
>>>Specifies the character set. The following values are
>>>predefined:
>>>ANSI_CHARSET
>>>BALTIC_CHARSET
>>>CHINESEBIG5_CHARSET
>>>DEFAULT_CHARSET
>>>EASTEUROPE_CHARSET
>>>GB2312_CHARSET
>>>GREEK_CHARSET
>>>HANGUL_CHARSET
>>>MAC_CHARSET
>>>OEM_CHARSET
>>>RUSSIAN_CHARSET
>>>SHIFTJIS_CHARSET
>>>SYMBOL_CHARSET
>>>TURKISH_CHARSET
>>>
>> Joseph M. Newcomer [MVP]
>> email: newcomer@flounder.com
>> Web: http://www.flounder.com

Joseph M. Newcomer [MVP]
email: newcomer@flounder.com
Web: http://www.flounder.com
newcomer (15975)
11/19/2007 7:13:20 PM
"Peter Olcott" <NoSpam@SeeScreen.com> wrote in message

> You still have to specify a CharSet don't you?

Specifying a CHARSET in a logfont and then creating a font, is just a way of
asking for fonts which support that character set.    They may have a lot
more in them.

SYMBOL_CHARSET is still different from most of the others as symbol fonts
are only allowed up to 256 characters, and have nothing to do with unicode:
they can contain any 256 symbols.

Dave
--
David Webber
Author of 'Mozart the Music Processor'

dave9996 (486)
11/19/2007 10:58:14 PM
> Assuming that the typeface represents the character in
> question, exactly what additional steps are required to
> display a character glyph that is within the Basic
> Multi-lingual Plane? Do I have to select a specific CharSet
> that differs depending upon the BMP value?

"DEFAULT_CHARSET should be used when displaying a string of
characters encoded with Unicode."

(http://www.microsoft.com/globaldev/getwr/steps/wrg_font.mspx,
"DEFAULT_CHARSET in LOGFONT" section)

--
Mihai Nita [Microsoft MVP, Windows - SDK]
http://www.mihai-nita.net
"Mihai N." <nmihai_year_2000@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> Assuming that the typeface represents the character in
>> question, exactly what additional steps are required to
>> display a character glyph that is within the Basic
>> Multi-lingual Plane? Do I have to select a specific
>> CharSet
>> that differs depending upon the BMP value?
>
> "DEFAULT_CHARSET should be used when displaying a string
> of
> characters encoded with Unicode."
>
> (http://www.microsoft.com/globaldev/getwr/steps/wrg_font.mspx,
> "DEFAULT_CHARSET in LOGFONT" section)

Thanks, I temporarily bypassed needing to know this by using
CreatePointFont(), but it is nice to have alternatives. I
finally got programming the BMP of Unicode down. Thanks for
all the help.

> --
> Mihai Nita [Microsoft MVP, Windows - SDK]
> http://www.mihai-nita.net
> Replace _year_ with _ to get the real email

0
NoSpam8358 (375)

rounding up values
Has anyone done round up of values to the nearest dollar.For example I want to give a 10% of the price to my customers but if the result is other than .00 then I wanted to round up to the nearest dollar amount.My calculation using sql has been price * percent and then subtract the value from the price, then what do I need to do to roundit up??Thanks for your suggestion.Also I have a problem with my customers that I am extracting and the query does return all the values from 2004 and 2006 that are equal except for the price I have given them, how do I get only the latest ones in 2006 and not th...

Date display in Excel

Using scanner in Word97

=?Utf-8?Q?nem=C5=AF=C5=BEu_p=C5=99ij=C3=ADmat_ani_odes=C3=ADlat_mej?= =?Utf-8?Q?ly?=
Dobrý den, hlásí mi to tuhle chybu: Došlo k neznámé chybě. Účet: 'Seznam Email - svemic', Server: 'pop3.seznam.cz', Protokol: POP3, Port: 995, Zabezpečení (SSL): Ano, Číslo chyby: 0x800C0133 Ale nevím, co s tím, poradí mi, prosím, někdo, ale v nějaké jednoduché počítačové mluvě:-)) ...

Using later version of microsoft access

Displaying Scenarios
I have set up a number of scenarios on a worksheet as they relate to different versions of my budget. Rather than having to go in everytime and display each one individuall, I would like to enter a parameter in one cell that will automatically display the right scenarios. Hopefully, using a conditional statement of some kind. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Jeffrey Albaum Controller Jet Moulding Compounds Inc. Ajax, Ontario, Canada How about a worksheet_change event? I created a couple of custom views and then rightclicked on the worksheet tab that held the important cell. ...

Using Company Wide Mail Templates.

Dynamic Range Selection Using VBA

line chart with NA() values

Multivalue with Null value SSRS 2005
I have a query to populate a multivalue parameter: SELECT distinct cast(AGRPYear.value as varchar(4)) + AGRPMonth.value 'ReportDate' FROM TPROJECT AS TPROJECT One of the values that is returned from this query is NULL. However, when I run the report, the NULL value does not show in the dropdown. I've also tried adding "select NULL as 'ReportDate' union" to the above query and the null value still doesn't show. As a result some of the records in my database have a null value for this field, they will never show up on my report. Any id...

Using Publisher 200 with Publisher 2003

how to run onhand value report
I get the message enter parameter when entering the zoom feature On Sat, 6 Mar 2010 17:36:01 -0800, junebugg <junebugg@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I get the message enter parameter when entering the zoom feature You'll have to give us some more context than that, junebugg. What's the "onhand value report"? What's the "zoom feature"? You can see your database; we cannot! -- John W. Vinson [MVP] ...

Security Role Issue 03-16-05
Anyone know why a User assigned to only 1 custom Security Role that has restricted access for all Core records set to the "User" level?, e.g. the user is assigned the "User Read Lead" privilege, they should only be able to read Leads that they own or share. However, it doesn't seem to be working, as if this user selects the "All Leads" View, the not only can read other users' Leads, but can also modify them! Again this User is only assigned to this 1 Role. Thank you, BryanK Bryan, This is a common problem. How long ago was this role created? Someti...

Increasing and decreasing values
Using column chart type I want to display increasing values and then decreasing values (not negative). For example 10,20,25 top value 55, then I want to show from 55 decrasing amount 10,35,10 (back to 0 starting point). Is it possible Put the numbers into the worksheet. A row or a column, whatever you like. If each number has a corresponding category label, put them in the row or column before the data. Select the data (one or two rows/columns), and run the Chart Wizard (the icon like a column chart, or Insert menu > Chart). Choose the Column chart type, and click through the rest o...

Formula to display nearest following Thursday in mm/dd/yyyy format
Hello, I have been reading and trying different suggestions here to no avail. What I need is a formula to calculate the nearest following thursday, and display it in mm/dd/yyyy format. To be clear, I have a column of varying dates. I need a formula to return the next thursday for each of those dates. To illustrate, say I have 05/22/2010, 05/23/201, 05/24/2010, & 05/26/2010 in cells A1 through A4. In cells B1 through B4, I would like to see 05/27/2010, 05/27/2010, 05/27/2010, & 05/27/2010 representing the following thursday. Thank you for your help! BW T...

Textbox fomatting value based on another textbox
I have two text boxes on a form. One is a value that can be changed by the user. The second is the value 1 - textbox1. I need everthing to be in %. For example, in textbox1 the user could type 75 and it would automatically be recognized as 75% and textbox2's value would calculate to be 25%. Everytime I try textbox1's value is = to say 7500%. Any help is appreciated. Cheers, Job Maybe something like: Option Explicit Private Sub TextBox1_Exit(ByVal Cancel As MSForms.ReturnBoolean) Dim TB1Val As Double With Me.TextBox1 If IsNumeric(.Value) Then TB1Va...

Excel 2007 Line Chart
Hello, Is it possible to configure a line chart in Excel 2007 to ignore the intervals and graph straight to the next value. For example if I have the periods: Jan with the value 1000 Feb with the value 900 March with the value 500 April with the value 0 May with the value 0 June with the value 0 I want the March value to drop directly from 500 to 0 ignoring the interval to April, I do not want a curved line it must drop directly to zero then the line is straight across to April. I have no idea if this is possible, any ideas? Thanks, Brett On Tue, 11 Oct 2011 15:40:45 -0700 (PDT), TyreDu...

Unassigned value in split transactions in conversion from Quicken 2001 to Microsoft Money v 14
With Quicken withdrawing from the UK market I have taken the plunge and upgraded to MM v 14. There is a serious conversion issue with the processing of split transactions where the first entry is converted correctly but all the other lines from the split transaction generate "empty" split entries each with a blank category and description with a zero value. This leaves an unassigned value equal to the sum of the ignored split entries. I have two Quicken accounts my private accounts going back to 1987 which generated a vast number of these unassigned amounts in split transactions a...

How to use different return email addresses
I use outlook 98. I have a mailbox with three aliases. People sending me emails can use any of the three email aliases and the email will arrive in the same mailbox. Accessing the mailbox once will retrieve all messages regardless of which alias was used. If I reply to these emails though, I want the recipient to think that the email has come from the alias that they originally used. What outlook always seems to do is use the email address of the service that is listed first in Tools->Services->Delivery. Is there any way Outlook can be set up so when I reply to a given email, my email ...

Errror Help: character ' ', hexadecimal value 0x2 is illegal in xml documents
what does this error mean? how can i fix this? thanks, raj * raj wrote in microsoft.public.dotnet.xml: >what does this error mean? how can i fix this? You have an octet 0x02 or perhaps a character reference &#x02; in the document. This is not allowed in XML 1.0; the latter is allowed in XML 1.1 but your version of the .NET framework probably does not support that, and most likely you have not declared this version either. In other words, your document includes random binary data and is there- fore not an XML document. You have to correct the document before you can successfully...