side by side configuration - what does this really mean?

I've recently given an update to a single user who finds that the
program now gives an error

"The application has failed to start because its side-by-side
configuration is incorrect. Please see.... "

The program runs fine on my machine and older builds runs on his.

However, if I take the older build and re-build, the resulting exe gives
the same error.

It's an MFC project and there are no new DLL's. The VC redist is
installed on his machine.

If anyone has any ideas they'd be very much appreciated

Phil
0
phil
5/28/2010 4:37:22 PM
vc.mfc 33608 articles. 0 followers. Follow

It may mean that you have installed a service pack such as the ATL update
and a new(er) version of the runtimes is required on the users machine.

Did you examine the manifest to see if the required DLLs were in fact
present on the machine?

-Pete

"phil oakleaf" <news@oakleafsoftware.co.uk> wrote in message
> I've recently given an update to a single user who finds that the program
> now gives an error
>
> "The application has failed to start because its side-by-side
> configuration is incorrect. Please see.... "
>
> The program runs fine on my machine and older builds runs on his.
>
> However, if I take the older build and re-build, the resulting exe gives
> the same error.
>
> It's an MFC project and there are no new DLL's. The VC redist is installed
> on his machine.
>
> If anyone has any ideas they'd be very much appreciated
>
> Phil

0
Pete
5/28/2010 5:22:29 PM
Peter

Thanks for the help

I am not aware of installing any updates on my machine

Sorry if this is really a dumb question. But how do I check the
manifests on the users machines.

Many thanks
Phil
0
phil
5/28/2010 5:55:58 PM
> Peter
>
> Thanks for the help
>
> I am not aware of installing any updates on my machine
>

> Sorry if this is really a dumb question. But how do I check the manifests
> on the users machines.
>
> Many thanks
> Phil

Last Summer, MS issues a Windows Update for "ATL Security Update" which you
might have gotten automatically depending on your Windows Update settings.
This patches Visual Studio so that anything you build with it from then on
requires new redists.  (The new redists were put into your e.g. c:\program
files\microsoft visual studio 2008\vc\redist folder, so you can check there
to make sure it is the same as what you gave to your user.)

At a deeper level, run findstr from a command prompt and search all your
DLL's and EXE's that you distribute in with your app for e.g.
"Microsoft.VC90" (if this is built with VC2008, else "Microsoft.VC80" if
built with VC2005) and make sure that the versions that get dumped out are
actually the ones you distribute in your vc_redist.

Alternatively, if your user is skilled and running on Vista or later, have
him run SxSTrace.exe to 1) generate an error log, then 2) parse the error
log into a text file; the text file will show clearly what DLL could not be
found, and which DLL's whose versions were not adequate were found, thus
pointing to a version mismatch.

-- David

0
David
5/28/2010 6:47:58 PM
David

thanks for the info

I think there must have been some change on my machine because if I
compile on a different system, no problem.

Build on my main machine I get the side by side

Why could VS have updated itself like this without asking me?

Thanks again
0
phil

LiveMail configuration problems
I am setting up Live Mail on my new computer running Windows 7. I have tried to transfer my address book from my old XP machine running Outlook Express using the Easy Transfer program and my external hard drive. Some settings transferred, but not the address book. I tried following the instructions but no luck. I loaded the file on a flash drive also, but that didn't work. Live Mail doesn't recognize the file as an address file. Also, I can't send mail. My ISP is Earthlink and I can receive mail, but not send it. Any help is appreciated. Windows Live Mail...

re-configure after exchange rollover
We recently installed a new exchange server at our office, and most of the machines accepted the change with no problems. However, a few of them, when i select Tools -> Services, want the Office 2k premium CD - except that premium was never installed on these PCs. I tried uninstalling and re-installing office, but I get the same problem as before. The PCs are running Window98 and Office 2K Pro. Sincerely, Andrew Hawes IT Officer Aiatech Malawi ...

Configuring Exchange to use SMTP for all mail
I would like to know if it's possible to configure an Exchange server to use SMTP as its native mail format. What I mean by that is I want to connect Outlook clients so that they work just like they always have in terms of calendar, public folders, GAL, etc. but I want the actual emails they send to be sent as SMTP. The reason is that I have a box in front of the Exchange client that scans SMTP protocol and I want it to be able to scan all internal traffic. A solution requiring changes to the server only would be great but if I have to change the client, so be it. Comments regarding 5....

Configuring Exchange 2003 to accept RCP over HTTPS
I have never configured RPC over HTTPS before, can anyone direct me on how to configure this? I Have Windows 2003 Server SP1, Exchange 2003 SP2, and client side is Outlook 2003. Thanks in advance, Shawn Try this: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/833401/en-us Nue "Shawn Chenault" <Shawn Chenault@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:CBC3301E-C3D1-4841-BBC7-2DA1A037D406@microsoft.com... >I have never configured RPC over HTTPS before, can anyone direct me on how >to > configure this? > > I Have Windows 2003 Server SP1, Exchange 2003 SP2, and...

Configure Outlook 2003 with Publisher
Installed Outlook 2003 but when I use Publisher 2002 and then click to email a flyer from Publisher it says "cannnot mail because part of the mail system is missing." When I reinstall Outlook and Publisher I receive the same message? ...

Configuring exchange to send a single outgoing smtp message to multiple destination domains (using a smarthost)
Hello all, By default, when an internal user sends an email to multiple external reciepients (from different domains), exchange will create a separate message for each destinations' domain and queue each message for delivery. Essentialy, this means that if for instance you send a marketing email to 500 different domains and the email is about 500KB in size, you are actually transmitting 250 MB through your WAN connection... My thoughts are that since most ISP smarthosts are perfectly capable of performing the separation of a single message destined to multiple domains to multiple messages...

Bad doc for NewSequentialId -- what does it mean?
For NewSequentialId, BOL says "Creates a GUID that is greater than any GUID previously generated by this function on a specified computer.". This is not right - you do not "specify" a computer, so the word "specified" is meaningless and unneccessary in the definition. Maybe the function actually "Creates a GUID that is greater than any GUID previously generated by this function on a SPECIFIC computer.". But even so, which computer? Are the GUIDs increasing on the SQL server that holds the database, or on the computer that is connect...

what does "verify email adress field" mean?
what does "verify email adress field" mean? I am configuring my outlook, and when I test my account settings, it is unable to send a test message and this is what it tells me. it means to make sure the email address is typed correctly. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours Coauthor, OneNote 2003 for Windows (Visual QuickStart Guide) Need Help with Common Tasks? http://www.outlook-tips.net/beginner/ Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http://www.slipstick.com Subscribe to Exchange Messagi...

Not really Excel but...
I got a good response recently regarding TweakUI and modifying the registry to change the default location for picture files, so I thought I'd give this question a try in this forum. How can I get my computer (running Windows XP, SP 2) to permanently get rid of Internet Explorer and Outlook Express? Every time I delete the .exe files, they come back, and if I try to delete the folders, I get an error saying it is in use by another person or application. wazooli I don't think you can, I think they are now so closely coupled with the OS, they cannot exist without them. -- HTH...

2-sided printing?
Is it possible to code the ability to print a document on both sides of a printed page in Access? Thanks, Dean S Dean, that's not an Access function, it's a printer function. If the printer will print duplex (terminology for both sides of the paper), then it will print duplex from Access, Word, Acrobat or anything else. The applicaton doesn't know what happens to its output after it's sent and the printer doesn't care where it's coming from. UpRider "Dean Slindee" <slindee@charter.net> wrote in message news:tQkei.199$h76.14@newsfe12.lga... ...

E-mail Router Incoming Mail Configuration
Hi, I have installed E-mail router for CRM 4.0. I have created Incoming and Outgoing configuration and aslo configured Deployment using the incoming and outgoin profile I have created. My E-mail router service runs under Local System Account. So, I have selected Local System Account as my access credentials for incoming and outgoing profile. However, when I selected Local System Account as my Access Credentials for my Deplyment, I wont be able to load user and queue information. When I select the Local System Account for Incoming and Outgoing profiles and change access credentials for ...

simple way to do a server-side autoreply in E2K ?
Hi all....looking for a little advice once again =/ I'm looking for a simple way to make E2K reply with a blurb anytime email is sent to a particular email address. I would prefer not to have to involve Outlook with some client-side rule.....was just hoping for a way to make E2K kick off an autoreply. So far, the only thing I've done in Global Settings | Internet Message Format | Advanced Properties of Default, is enabled Automatic Replies. Some of the posts mentioned using event sinks, which I know nothing about. Any ideas? Thanks in advance! Robert Robert wrote: > Hi all.....

double cash tray configuration
In a dual cash tray configuration, cashier log ins do not create/track individual cashier totals. Instead, they are lumped into one cash register total and both trays need to be counted and totaled together. An individual log in needs to be tracked separately. This would allow for two cashier log ins on the same machine giving the flexibility of and accountability of each cashier. One cashier could go to lunch or break or leave for the day without affecting the other cashiers tray. Flexibility and accountability would be improved significantly ---------------- This post is a sugg...

How configure exchange to convert all incoming emails in CRM activities?
Hi everybody, When I go to tools/options/activities and click in the=20 option "converting all incoming emails" a dialog inform=20 who is necessary server additional configuration. Well, I=20 am looking for informations about this configuration in=20 the CRM documentation but with no sucess. Can somebody=20 help me? * I am using the portuguese version, so I don't know if=20 the names who I used are rigth. Thank you for pay attention and sorry my bad english. :) []'s Vin=EDcius Pitta Lima de Ara=FAjo The instructions are in the implementation guide. =20 Basically, you will ...

Creating a Back Side to a Postcard for Mailing
I have Publisher 2003, Windows XP, SP3. I have created a Postcard 4" x 6", and it is in vertical orientation on the front side. The person would now like to put a return address and possibly a message on the backside of this card. My first question is do I just say insert a page within the same file and put the return address and message there? This way it's all in one publication. Or should I create a separate file to create the backside? My second question is, does the backside need to be in Landscape orientation even though the front is Portrait? From what I have g...

Store connection strings/configuration settings in A/D
Hello. What are the pros/cons of storing connection strings and global app settings in A/D. We have a lot of applications (Windows, ASP.Net, Add-ins for Office Apps, etc) and each need to retrieve connections strings, global app settings, etc. I want a central location for this stuff and don't want to include it with every app, nor do I want to add it to each Machine.config file. I was thinking of using A/D for this. On app start up I would get the info and cache it. Any and all suggestions/comments are welcome. Thanks in advance, Mike "milop&qu...

configuring outlook express
I have configured outlook express in my pc.after pressing send and receive it works upto 91%.It stops receiving the inbox folder upto 25.Pls give me a solution to get my mails 100% "Mahes Kumar" <Mahes Kumar@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:287EDAA5-A187-4F85-A240-9858BC838867@microsoft.com... >I have configured outlook express in my pc.after pressing send and receive > it works upto 91%.It stops receiving the inbox folder upto 25.Pls give me > a > solution to get my mails 100% Wrong newsgroup. This one's for Office Outlook. Ask your q...

Preview Pane REALLY slow except when O. Express open
When using the preview pane Outlook, it was taking like 5 seconds before the preview came up, for EACH new message I clicked on. I tried everything to fix this - "detect and repair", disk defrag - everything I could think of. Then, serendipitiously, I opened Outlook Express, and Outlook's preview pane began working very quickly and normally. Once I closed Outlook Express, the Outlook preview when back to preforming like molasses. Any ideas? Uncheck the option to use Instant Messaging in Outlook. Tools->Options->Other. --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all...

Install and Configure OWA
I am wanting to install and configure OWA on a upgraded Windows 2003 SBS . The big question is where do I start? Does my email need to be run through that server or can it be hosted at a web host? I am wanting to include Microsoft CRM 3.0 in this config also. Any help in what direction I need to take would be much appreciated. OWA should be installed by default with SBS2003. Open a browser and go to http://localhost/exchange to test. Adding CRM 3.0 will make your life difficult because I believe it uses Sharepoint web parts which can be a pain to configure. Be very careful. Consider a...

Copying filtered four cells by means of macro
Thanks to Jacob Skaria. But still I need to mark and copy four cells by shift+down+down+down+down I believe. There are filtered cells and when I say things other than shift and down keys it is copying hidden (filtered away) cells I believe. I hope copying by selecting by "shiftt+down+down+down+down" will solve my need. Sorry for repating I just try to explain my need: I filter the data by a macro. Then I need to copy four cells apeering on the screen. Thanks, Cousin Excel Hi, Highlight the filtered data, press CTRL + G, special, in the right column select...

Rpc\RpcProxy\ValidPorts configuration
this website gives details as to how MS Exchange server 2003 should be configured for RPC over HTTPS proxy configuration. http://www.amset.info/exchange/rpc-http-server.asp Are these configuration settings correct. Exchange Server All the changes below are made in the same place, just pick the scenario that matches your environment. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Rpc\RpcProxy ValidPorts Single Server Installation - Exchange Server is also the domain controller server = domain controller/exchange server domain.com = internal domain name mail.other.com - external domain name - as p...

Configuring shared mailbox challenge...pls help
Hi, My requirement: End users should open their outlook w/o going through initial configuration of their profile. How I already met this requirement: I published outlook using Citrix to users > created a .prf file that contains all configurations required to start outlook w/o users providing any configurations > published outlook.exe filename.prf. Well, this works w/o any problems. Suddenly, i realised that users cannot save any of their own settings permenantly in Outlook; because after user logs off, the setting disappears because it will again pick up from the .prf file. Fo...

Best domain configuration for 2 CRM implementations
What is the best way to configure 2 separate installations of the Microsoft CRM package in the same forest Option 1 - Install one in the root domain (i.e. xyzco.local) and the other in a child domain (i.e. west.xyzco.local) Option 2 - Install one in domain 1 (i.e. xyzco.local) and the other in domain 2 (i.e. abcco.local) in the same forest And while we are on the subject, is it still necessary to do two domains for 2 CRM implemenations of CRM w/ v1.2? Can you use the same database with separate Business units, but install it on two web servers so the forms can be different, but share data Th...

How do I know I am in a debug configuration
I thought there was a property that let's me know when I am in a debug configuration, instead of a Release Configuration. I need it because I want to use a test database in debug, but a real database in release. Is there such a property? I tried System.Diagnostic.debugger.IsAttached, but that seems to be something different. Dom wrote: > I thought there was a property that let's me know when I am in a debug > configuration, instead of a Release Configuration. I need it because > I want to use a test database in debug, but a real database in > release. I ...

How to re-configure SMTP on CRM
Our CRM 3 can not send out external E-mail. Did success to repair the CRM. But still can not run the configuration wizard. It shows "The wizard can only be used once". The CRM3 run on SBS 2003 with exchange server. Some one can help it? Thanks! Rob Rob, These blog posts might help. http://blogs.msdn.com/crm/archive/2006/07/12/663416.aspx http://blogs.infinite-x.net/2006/07/16/dynamics-crm-30-exchange-server-setup/ Michael Cross Navint http://www.navint.com "Rob" wrote: > Our CRM 3 can not send out external E-mail. Did success to repair the CRM....