ShellExecute to display windows property dialog

Hi EveryBody,

This group has helped earlier to solve my problems and I hope I may
get some help this time as well.

I want to dispaly the windows property dialog for files through my
application developed using VC6.0. I am using the function
ShellExecuteEx with the "properties" verb to display the dialog.
However, I am facing a problem while displaying the dialog for .tiff
files on Win98/WinME systems. I tried putting the thing in a separate
thread as I read somewhere that ot may help, but no success.
I tired using the function ShellExecute, but it does not display the
dialog.
Can anyone suggest what may be wrong or provide solution for this.
Also are there any other methods of dispalying the windows property
dialog in case ShellExecute's problem can not be solved.

I am using the following code:
SHELLEXECUTEINFO ShInfo;
ZeroMemory(&ShInfo,sizeof(SHELLEXECUTEINFO));
ShInfo.cbSize = sizeof(SHELLEXECUTEINFO);
ShInfo.fMask = SEE_MASK_INVOKEIDLIST;
ShInfo.hwnd = ((pCallingApp->m_pMainWnd)->m_hWnd);
ShInfo.lpVerb = TEXT("properties");
ShInfo.nShow = SW_SHOW;
ShInfo.lpIDList = pAbsolutepidl;
if (!ShellExecuteEx(&ShInfo))
{
   Throw exception
}

If any one can provide any help. I shall be greatful.

Thanks,

Atul
0
atulk (1)
8/20/2004 6:37:28 AM
vc.mfc 33608 articles. 0 followers. Follow

>I want to dispaly the windows property dialog for files through my
>application developed using VC6.0. I am using the function
>ShellExecuteEx with the "properties" verb to display the dialog.
>However, I am facing a problem while displaying the dialog for .tiff
>files on Win98/WinME systems. I tried putting the thing in a separate
>thread as I read somewhere that ot may help, but no success.
>I tired using the function ShellExecute, but it does not display the
>dialog.
>Can anyone suggest what may be wrong or provide solution for this.
>Also are there any other methods of dispalying the windows property
>dialog in case ShellExecute's problem can not be solved.
>
>I am using the following code:
>ShInfo.fMask = SEE_MASK_INVOKEIDLIST;
>ShInfo.lpIDList = pAbsolutepidl;

Rather than specify a PIDL, just use the path to the filename in
lpFile - but keep using the SEE_MASK_INVOKEIDLIST flag.

Dave
--
MVP VC++ FAQ: http://www.mvps.org/vcfaq
0