SDI: Switching between main SDI app windows

I want to be able to allow the end-user to pick between medium and
large font sizes for the various controls on the main SDI application
window. This windows has several radio-button-groups, a CTreeCtrl, and
a CRichEditCtrl.

When I use the form editor to lay out the main SDI app window, I'm now
using Arial 8. If I change the Properties for the entire window to
something larger (like  Arial 10 or 14), then all the controls have
the font-size increased, and the controls themselves get bigger.

This seems like an easier approach than changing the font size for
each control, and figuring out the sizing for the group-box.
Everything seems to auto-magically resize correctly with that simple
change.

Is there a way to programmatically do the equivalent of changing the
overall font size for the entire window?

If not, is it appropriate to define two separate DIALOGEX and somehow
switch between them? They would be the same except the line for:
FONT 10, "Arial" . With this approach, how do you switch from one
DIALOGEX to another while the app is running?  The specification of
which DIALOGEX seems to happen in the InitInstance function.

IDD_INVERSE_FORM DIALOGEX 0, 0, 340, 180
STYLE WS_CHILD
// FONT 8, "Arial"
FONT 10, "Arial"
// FONT 14, "Arial"
BEGIN
    GROUPBOX        "Recite Category",IDC_FREQ_GROUPBOX,0,1,62,75,0,0,
    GROUPBOX        "Progress",IDC_PROGRESS_GROUPBOX,63,1,56,75
    CONTROL         "Daily/Most Frequently",IDC_FREQ,"Button",
                    BS_AUTORADIOBUTTON | BS_MULTILINE | WS_GROUP |
                    WS_TABSTOP,1,11,55,18,0
   ... more radio buttons and other controls

END

Also, is there a way to make the font for the menu-items and the font
for the Title-Bar be larger with MFC or API function calls?

0
l_d_allan (35)
10/23/2007 4:59:12 PM
vc.mfc 33608 articles. 0 followers. Follow

Couldn't your users do this using the build in Windows fonts to make them
larger?

That said, you can change the size of the fonts for the controls by just
assigning a font at runtime.  I believe you would do this in OnInitDialog().
I've never tried changing it for the whole dialog before, but it is a CWnd
so it would be easy enough to try it.

Tom

"Lynn Allan" <l_d_allan@adelphia.net> wrote in message
>I want to be able to allow the end-user to pick between medium and large
>font sizes for the various controls on the main SDI application window.
>This windows has several radio-button-groups, a CTreeCtrl, and a
>CRichEditCtrl.
>
> When I use the form editor to lay out the main SDI app window, I'm now
> using Arial 8. If I change the Properties for the entire window to
> something larger (like  Arial 10 or 14), then all the controls have the
> font-size increased, and the controls themselves get bigger.
>
> This seems like an easier approach than changing the font size for each
> control, and figuring out the sizing for the group-box. Everything seems
> to auto-magically resize correctly with that simple change.
>
> Is there a way to programmatically do the equivalent of changing the
> overall font size for the entire window?
>
> If not, is it appropriate to define two separate DIALOGEX and somehow
> switch between them? They would be the same except the line for:
> FONT 10, "Arial" . With this approach, how do you switch from one DIALOGEX
> to another while the app is running?  The specification of which DIALOGEX
> seems to happen in the InitInstance function.
>
> IDD_INVERSE_FORM DIALOGEX 0, 0, 340, 180
> STYLE WS_CHILD
> // FONT 8, "Arial"
> FONT 10, "Arial"
> // FONT 14, "Arial"
> BEGIN
>    GROUPBOX        "Recite Category",IDC_FREQ_GROUPBOX,0,1,62,75,0,0,
>    GROUPBOX        "Progress",IDC_PROGRESS_GROUPBOX,63,1,56,75
>    CONTROL         "Daily/Most Frequently",IDC_FREQ,"Button",
>                    BS_AUTORADIOBUTTON | BS_MULTILINE | WS_GROUP |
>                    WS_TABSTOP,1,11,55,18,0
>   ... more radio buttons and other controls

> END
>
> Also, is there a way to make the font for the menu-items and the font for
> the Title-Bar be larger with MFC or API function calls?

0
tserface (3861)
10/24/2007 1:08:16 AM
You could also create a single dialog template, and load the template explicitly.  You can
then instantiate the dialog after modifying the template. To do this, you would calll
CDialog::CreateIndirect on the modified template.  This would involve a bit of study to
see where to intercept the creation, but it might be a simpler approach than trying to
keep two different templates up-to-date.
					joe

On Tue, 23 Oct 2007 10:59:12 -0600, "Lynn Allan" <l_d_allan@adelphia.net> wrote:

>I want to be able to allow the end-user to pick between medium and
>large font sizes for the various controls on the main SDI application
>window. This windows has several radio-button-groups, a CTreeCtrl, and
>a CRichEditCtrl.
>
>When I use the form editor to lay out the main SDI app window, I'm now
>using Arial 8. If I change the Properties for the entire window to
>something larger (like  Arial 10 or 14), then all the controls have
>the font-size increased, and the controls themselves get bigger.
>
>This seems like an easier approach than changing the font size for
>each control, and figuring out the sizing for the group-box.
>Everything seems to auto-magically resize correctly with that simple
>change.
>
>Is there a way to programmatically do the equivalent of changing the
>overall font size for the entire window?
>
>If not, is it appropriate to define two separate DIALOGEX and somehow
>switch between them? They would be the same except the line for:
>FONT 10, "Arial" . With this approach, how do you switch from one
>DIALOGEX to another while the app is running?  The specification of
>which DIALOGEX seems to happen in the InitInstance function.
>
>IDD_INVERSE_FORM DIALOGEX 0, 0, 340, 180
>STYLE WS_CHILD
>// FONT 8, "Arial"
>FONT 10, "Arial"
>// FONT 14, "Arial"
>BEGIN
>    GROUPBOX        "Recite Category",IDC_FREQ_GROUPBOX,0,1,62,75,0,0,
>    GROUPBOX        "Progress",IDC_PROGRESS_GROUPBOX,63,1,56,75
>    CONTROL         "Daily/Most Frequently",IDC_FREQ,"Button",
>                    BS_AUTORADIOBUTTON | BS_MULTILINE | WS_GROUP |
>                    WS_TABSTOP,1,11,55,18,0
>   ... more radio buttons and other controls

>END
>
>Also, is there a way to make the font for the menu-items and the font
>for the Title-Bar be larger with MFC or API function calls?

Joseph M. Newcomer [MVP]
email: newcomer@flounder.com
Web: http://www.flounder.com
newcomer (15975)
10/25/2007 12:04:31 AM
>That said, you can change the size of the fonts for the controls by just
>assigning a font at runtime.  I believe you would do this in OnInitDialog().
>I've never tried changing it for the whole dialog before, but it is a CWnd
>so it would be easy enough to try it.

I've just tried this - you can change all the control's fonts, but the
controls and their positions don't alter - so it's a mess.

The optimal place to affect this in an MFC SDI CFormView would appear
to be in CWnd::CreateDlgIndirect. The code there gets the dialog
template font name/size, and by botching the size there in the
debugger the whole form will resize nicely (as though you'd changed
the dialog template directly). Unfortunately that method isn't virtual
so it's not easy to do in practice. However, the code in there may be
re-usable and from the PreCreateDialog method. I've not tried it
though.

Dave
0
davidl7375 (2060)
10/25/2007 8:46:32 PM
I was almost on the right track.

Have a look here:

http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=709209&SiteID=1

Modify the GetDisplayFont code to set the font/size you want and that
should work - it has for me in a test.

Dave
0
davidl7375 (2060)
10/25/2007 8:59:26 PM
Thanks for the reply.

I'm not able to access the link you sent ... I've tried several days.
Appears related to the article title:
A cool trick to give the Vista UI Font to all your MFC CDialogs ...

I'll try again from another computer and for another few days. Can you
post the "gist" of it (with source code if available) ... or sent it
to me "offline".

Thanks again,
Lynn

"David Lowndes" <DavidL@example.invalid> wrote in message
>I was almost on the right track.
>
> Have a look here:
>
> http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=709209&SiteID=1
>
> Modify the GetDisplayFont code to set the font/size you want and
> that
> should work - it has for me in a test.
>
> Dave

0
l_d_allan (35)
10/27/2007 10:09:21 AM
Thanks for the suggestion. I'll investigate the approach suggested by
David Lowndes first and if that doesn't seem viable, do the "bit of
study" you mention.(the msdn link he mentioned has been down for
several days ... at least I haven't been able to access it)

> You could also create a single dialog template, and load the
> template explicitly.  You can
> then instantiate the dialog after modifying the template. To do
> this, you would calll
> CDialog::CreateIndirect on the modified template.  This would
> involve a bit of study to
> see where to intercept the creation, but it might be a simpler
> approach than trying to
> keep two different templates up-to-date.
> joe
>
> On Tue, 23 Oct 2007 10:59:12 -0600, "Lynn Allan"
> <l_d_allan@adelphia.net> wrote:
>
>>I want to be able to allow the end-user to pick between medium and
>>large font sizes for the various controls on the main SDI
>>application
>>window. This windows has several radio-button-groups, a CTreeCtrl,
>>and
>>a CRichEditCtrl.

0
l_d_allan (35)
10/27/2007 10:41:18 AM
>I'm not able to access the link you sent ... I've tried several days.

It works for me Lynn, though it forced me through the passport (aka
Live ID) signon to see it.

>Appears related to the article title:
>A cool trick to give the Vista UI Font to all your MFC CDialogs ...

Yep that's it.

>I'll try again from another computer and for another few days. Can you
>post the "gist" of it (with source code if available) ... or sent it
>to me "offline".

Here it is. Originally posted by "Ted:

Windows Vista has a new standard user interface font, Segoe UI 9
point, which is not given to you by the operating system when creating
a dialog with MS Shell Dlg. Ideally you would like to have your MFC
dialogs look modern when running on Windows Vista. That means changing
all your fonts to Segoe UI 9 point and/or having separate resources
for Vista if you want to work well on all platforms. Instead, there's
a cool trick you can use to avoid all that hassle.

The great thing about this solution is that you need not create a new
CDialog derived class. In fact the only code changes necessary are
those in your application's InitInstance function.

1) In the same file as your application's InitInstance function (just
above InitInstance) insert the following code:

#include <afxpriv.h>
#if _MSC_VER < 1300
#include <..\src\occimpl.h>
#else
#include "afxocc.h"
#endif

class CFontOccManager : public COccManager
{
public:
    CFontOccManager() { }

 virtual const DLGTEMPLATE* PreCreateDialog(_AFX_OCC_DIALOG_INFO*
pOccDialogInfo,
  const DLGTEMPLATE* pOrigTemplate);
};

void GetDisplayFont(LOGFONT &lf, WORD & wDefSize)
{
 NONCLIENTMETRICS ncm;
 ncm.cbSize = sizeof(NONCLIENTMETRICS);
 SystemParametersInfo(SPI_GETNONCLIENTMETRICS,
sizeof(NONCLIENTMETRICS), &ncm, 0);
 lf = ncm.lfMessageFont;

 HDC hDC = ::GetDC(NULL);
 if (lf.lfHeight < 0)
  lf.lfHeight = -lf.lfHeight;
 wDefSize = (WORD)MulDiv(lf.lfHeight, 72, GetDeviceCaps(hDC,
LOGPIXELSY));
 ::ReleaseDC(NULL, hDC);
}

const DLGTEMPLATE*
CFontOccManager::PreCreateDialog(_AFX_OCC_DIALOG_INFO* pOccDialogInfo,
 const DLGTEMPLATE* pOrigTemplate)
{
 const DLGTEMPLATE *lpNewTemplate = COccManager::PreCreateDialog
(pOccDialogInfo, pOrigTemplate);

 if ((BYTE)GetVersion() >= 6 && !pOccDialogInfo->m_pNewTemplate) {

  CDialogTemplate temp(lpNewTemplate);
  LOGFONT lf;
  WORD wDefSize = 0;
  GetDisplayFont( lf, wDefSize );
  temp.SetFont(lf.lfFaceName, wDefSize);

  pOccDialogInfo->m_pNewTemplate = (DLGTEMPLATE*) temp.Detach();
  return pOccDialogInfo->m_pNewTemplate;
 }
 else
  return lpNewTemplate;
}

2) In your InitInstance() function, change:

AfxEnableControlContainer();

to:

AfxEnableControlContainer(new CFontOccManager());

 (If you don't have a call to AfxEnableControlContainer already, just
add it as above)

That's it. Now your all your dialogs will use Segoe UI 9 point font
when running under Windows Vista, and will continue to use your
existing font under other platforms.

CPropertySheets/CPropertyPages are a bit more work, however I'll leave
that for another day (I posted some hints in the Vista UI Development
forum)

Dave
0
davidl7375 (2060)
10/27/2007 10:42:51 AM
David,

I obtained the code, and was able to integrate it with vc6 and vc7.1
projects. Compiles and link ok, but I don't see how to get it to do
anything.

I'm being slow here, but what next?

My thinking is to have "View" menu-items for Small-Font, Medium-Font,
Large-Font.

I put them in the App, but now I'm stumped.

Do I somehow over-ride the CInVerseView::PreCreateDialog handler? How
do I dynamically switch while the app is running? If the end-user
wants to switch Font-Size, do I need to close the app and reopen with
different parameters to the PreCreateDialog handler ... perhaps saved
to the registry for persistence?

I looked at the afxocc.h file and the COccManager documentation, but
wasn't able to see how to proceed.

THANKS! for your help on this. It seems like it could be a very nice
solution to what I want to be able to do.

VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV

void CInVerseApp::OnViewSmallFont()
{
  CFontOccManager occMgr;
  occMgr.PreCreateDialog(????????)?
}
void CInVerseApp::OnViewMediumFont()
{
// TODO: Add your command handler code here
}

> >I'm not able to access the link you sent ... I've tried several
> >days.
>
> It works for me Lynn, though it forced me through the passport (aka
> Live ID) signon to see it.
>
>>Appears related to the article title:
>>A cool trick to give the Vista UI Font to all your MFC CDialogs ...

0
l_d_allan (35)
10/27/2007 1:41:13 PM
"David Lowndes" <DavidL@example.invalid> wrote in message
>>Appears related to the article title:
>>A cool trick to give the Vista UI Font to all your MFC CDialogs ...
>
> Yep that's it.
>
>>I'll try again from another computer and for another few days. Can you
>>post the "gist" of it (with source code if available) ... or sent it
>>to me "offline".
>
> Here it is. Originally posted by "Ted:
>
> Windows Vista has a new standard user interface font, Segoe UI 9
> point, which is not given to you by the operating system when creating
> a dialog with MS Shell Dlg. Ideally you would like to have your MFC
> dialogs look modern when running on Windows Vista. That means changing
> all your fonts to Segoe UI 9 point and/or having separate resources
> for Vista if you want to work well on all platforms. Instead, there's
> a cool trick you can use to avoid all that hassle.

[... great way to do this snipped ...]

But I think David W. posted that if you layout your dialogs with Segoe UI 9
in mind, they won't look right on XP or previous due to the default font
being 10 point and not 9 point?

Thanks,
David

0
dc2983 (3206)
10/27/2007 2:59:48 PM
>I'm being slow here, but what next?

Lynn,

I think you may be hoping for more than that code can do.

That code's GetDisplayFont function gets invoked when a CFormView is
created. You can modify that function (to do something other than what
it does now for Vista font use) to use different font/sizes so that
newly created views would have different fonts. I thought that was
what you needed from your initial post - rather than be able to do it
on the fly.

You could possibly still use that method if you can work out how to
delete the view and re-create it. As it stands, it'll only apply to
newly created views.

Dave
0
davidl7375 (2060)
10/27/2007 4:56:36 PM
>But I think David W. posted that if you layout your dialogs with Segoe UI 9
>in mind, they won't look right on XP or previous due to the default font
>being 10 point and not 9 point?

Hi David.

I'm assuming the font selection that's currently in the GetDisplayFont
function would be totally different. I just presented the original
code as it was.

Dave
0
davidl7375 (2060)

Transfer from OE to WLM in Windows 7 completed, BUT.....
I created two users under my Hawaiiantel.com POP3 accounts. Both accounts are in the left pane under the quick views section. When I receive an e-mail in one account, it would also show up in the 2nd account. Thus I'm always having to go into both accounts/folders to delete, etc. I deleted one account from the folder pane and tested if I can send to and get messages from the deleted account, I do. That's kinda weird but I'm okay with that. Problem is I don't have the ability to change the "from" on my outgoing e-mails. Is there a fix for this? ...

Issues with Applying New Themes in Windows XP
I can't apply any new themes on my Windows XP Pro. When I apply a new theme, the following error occurs: Error Loading theme The theme could not be loaded because the theme service is not running. You can turn the service on in the Computer Management Administrative Tool in the Control Panel. I went to computer management administrative tool. I started this service. But I couldn't apply a new theme either. There was weird display and the entire desktop turned black. I have to reinstall the Windows to fix this. After the re-installation everything came back to normal, but ...

my cd with pictures will not down load says windows is not up to
need help see subject Bobby Lou, Two issues here... 1. This is a newsgroup for Microsft Access a database software. I would suggest you contact your camera Vendor or post in the Windows newsgroup. 2. Use the big white space to post your question, not a reference to go read the Subject Line. The Subject Line is only so long and mine cuts off so anyone reading it will not get the entire issue you are having. I would also suggest you post relevant information, like Windows version and what hardware your pictures are on. -- Gina Whipp "I feel I have been deni...

Excel found unreadable content in file only with Windows 7.
We are programmatically writing out an XLS file from our accounting application. Application has been working for years. When we try to open the file that is created on a computer running Windows 7, it gets Excel found unreadable content in xxxx.xls. Do you want to recover the contents of this workbook? If you trust the source of this workbook, click Yes. (Can click on Yes, but file is still unreadable with Win7). We get the same message on Win7 with both Excel 2003 and Excel 2007. The same XLS file will open just fine with either Excel 2003 or Excel 2007 on a Vista or W...

Can a Subreport print it's textboxes on the Main report?
I'm having a heck of a time creating a monthly report for work. It has to sum daily values and group them as monthy totals. It also will show fees that are received once a month. I created a subreport for these fees but they need to blend in with the other data. How do I get the subreport's results to line up with the main report ones? TIA for any help... -- Logo How about creating a main report based on the monthly fees and a subreport of the daily values? Duane Hookom MS Access MVP "Logo" <Logo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message...

How to Use Windows Merge Modules
Hey Friends I need help in creating a setup with .msm files. Can someone plz suggest a way to create the setup with .msm file. I have InstallShield for Microsoft Visual C++ 6 but i could not find a way to add a .msm file. Plz Help ...

sending app-global messages
Hi, How can i send a mesage to all my windows? I have a docked window that contains the control, and i need the control to send a message that is truely global, so it can be received my the control itsself, the controls parent, and the view that the window is docked in, and any other views that have been created but are currently not visable.. FrameWnd | +------docked window 1 +------docked window 2 | +----this (the control that sends the message) +------view 1 | + -----view 2 | + -----view n I need a app-global post. Do i just post to the main frame then post ...

New App Finally Permits Editing of Modified Dates
I finally found something I've been looking for for a long time so figured I'd share it. If you've ever had Outlook fail to archive because it had moved messages' Modified Dates forward making them ineligible for the cutoff you specified, you'll want to take a look at ArchiveAssist for Outlook. This app lets you edit the Modified Date of messages to any date you want (you can select the Received Date, the Sent Date, or you can specify any date), and you have complete control over the process by which you decide which messages to include for modification. The progra...

Group for Windows 7 beginners???
Is there a *microsoft.public.windows* group for Windows 7 beginners? Thanks, Ron Greetings Ron, Unfortunately Microsoft has moved to forums for 7. The general ones are here: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-ca/windows/default.aspx?tab=2 There's also a technet forum for Windows 7 IT-related issues, but that would be beyond the 'beginner' tag. At least officially anyway. -- Jonathan Kay Microsoft MVP - Windows Live Messenger MSN Messenger/Windows Messenger MessengerGeek Blog: http://www.messengergeek.com Messenger Resources: http://messenger.jonathankay.com ...

Windows installer and clip organizer
I just installed microsoft office 2007 standard and whenever I open clip organizer, then windows installer also opens. I am not able to cancel windows installer and i am not able to do anything with clip organizer. I have tryed reinstalling it but nothing i have done has worked. Any suggestions? thanks. The Organizer has its own detect and repair. Are you allowing the Organizer to connect to the Office site? What are your firewall settings? -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "dabears" <dabears@discussio...

WMP 12 in Windows 7 stalling
Just upgraded to Windows 7, and WMP 12 is having major issues. It won't play any of my .avi files (although Divx player will perfectly). It play MP3s half the time either. I have to exit the program and restart WMP and then it might work. No error message come up, all it does is keep the counter at 00:00. I can switch songs, stop playback, etc. The program isn't frozen, it just is being fickle about playing songs. Anyone else having the same issues? Fixes? ...

Unable to create more Windows NT accounts for Exchange mailboxes
Hi Guys, Currently our Exchange server stopped allowing the creation of more Windows NT Accounts with the following error"Insufficient System Resources exist to complete the requested service".Pls is there a way out of this? We run Exchange 5.5 SP3 on Windows NT Server. -- Buchi ...

Microsoft Excel for Windows
in Microsoft Excel for Windows I would like to add time eg. 09:00:00 AM plus 05:00:00 PM less ONE HOUR equals 8.0 hrs. Anyone with an example.? I believe you're looking to *subtract* time, *not* sum it. Start time in A1 - 9:00 AM End time in B1 - 5:00 PM =B1-A1 Also, you said *less* one hour, so the total is really 7 hours, not 8, right ? However, to take into account where the end time crosses midnight, where the end time is smaller then the start time, use: =(B1-A1)+(A1>B1) Now change this to a decimal number, so that you can multiply it by the pay rate to get total dollars: ...

Can not use Left Click to login to Windows XP SP3 with MS Mouse
Hardware: I have a Dell D610 with trackpoint and touchpad. I am installing a MS Wireless Keyboard 6000 v3 and a MS Wireless Mouse 6000 v2. Software: Windows XP SP3, fully patched, clean re-install. Intellipoint and IntelliType v6.31 installed. Latest ALPS Touchpad driver from Dell. When running _without_ the MS Keyboard and Mouse, the system runs as expected. Using the ALPS Touchpad, booting up, the Welcome screen works and all clickable objects are recognized and you can easily login. Start menu is clickable. When running _with_ the MS Keyboard and Mouse, the system doe...

Emergency! Switching to Office 2007!
I have a custom menu written in Excel 2003, and we are switching to Office 2007 next week possibly. What do I need to do to retain this menu? -- I am running on Office 2003, unless otherwise stated. Hi Orion, > I have a custom menu written in Excel 2003, and we are switching to Office > 2007 next week possibly. What do I need to do to retain this menu? Is it written in VBA? If so, it will show up on the addins tab of the 2007 ribbon. Regards, Jan Karel Pieterse Excel MVP http://www.jkp-ads.com Member of: Professional Office Developer Association www.proofficed...

Export Access field using VBA to Outlook Message Window
I am not 100% sure how to do this. I have an Access Database and am going to be creating queries from the data. The most important field is going to be the e-mail field because once the user has the right query I want them to be able to click "E-mail" and it will take all the e-mails and open their outlook, create a new message window, and drop all the E-mails into the "To" box. I have looked around but i'm not sure how to make the Access VBA do this. Anyone have any tips or done something similar? Thank you for your time! On Oct 9, 12:01 pm, djjohnst <djjoh...@gma...

Assertion Error at the end of main() function
I used the Wizard to create a "Hello World" Console 32 app. I then set the project to use MFC and am using the DAO classes. It compiles ok. It runs ok until the main() function is done executing. In the debugger, it gets to the right curly brace (}) signifying the end of main and then it gives an Assertion error in DAOCORE.CPP. I don't understand what's happening. Any ideas? Thank you. ...

Should I switch from Excel to Access as the data source
I have a collection of motions I have developed over the years with Microsoft Word. Each one has a number of variables such as name. cause number, date, charge, etc. I have been using Excel as the data source for these variables and Word mail merge to fill in them into variable fields in the documents. The Excel data worksheet has become unwieldy due to 121 separate non-repeated fields. Any suggestions for using Acess 2003 the data source? -- glgo On Fri, 30 Apr 2010 14:07:01 -0700, GLGO <GLGO@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I have a collection of motions I ha...

Question for Windows Speech Recognition guru
Need advice from Vista Speech Recognition guru. (formal name WSR, for Windows Speech Recognition) The "Analyze Written Documents" feature of WSR appears to be broken. I try to keep up-to-date on three different SR apps, which is not easy, because of the differences. The three SR apps are: 1) Dragon Pro 2) WSR (Vista Speech Recognition) 3) MacSpeech Dictate ....using most recent versions of above 3 apps Without going into the reason _why_ , I would like to be able to speak the following, and have it come out exactly as shown in the two examples below...

Change Vaule of main form field based on subform field
I have a datsheet main form for mortgage folders with a field called File Location which defaults to "Basement Vault" at the table level. I have a datasheet subform called fileoutsubfrm which contains fields SentDate, SentBy, Sent To Whom (Cmbobox) and ReturnedDate. The master/child link is the ACCTNBR field. I am attempting to have the file location field update to the value of the Sent to Whom from the subform if the Sent to Whom is not null and the ReturnedDate is Null. This is my attempt at coding the On Current event of the main form - I am getting an invalid reference to ...

Vista: Windows Update error code 80070005
Hi, I cant download any new updates from Microsoft. Every time I try to check for updates I get the following error code: Code 80070005. Since this problem occurred I have been unable to search for new updates and also, some of my programs fail to launch when activated. I am on Vista Home Premium with SP2 & I have 3GB of RAM. I use Norton Anti Virus with its Firewall but I have Windows Firewall turned off. Can anybody please help me solve this problem? I'm not very technical so a simple step to fix would really be appreciated. Thanks in advance.. Always state yo...

Visual Studio do make Deployment on Windows 7
HI All, I have tried to use the Visual studio 2005 deployment project to deploy my C# program, and the deployment has custom action in the Installation, but it will fail to install in a windows 7 64 bits OS and the error code is 2869, and i have read the information from the Internet and it seems to be the UAC problem, but i have tried to use ORCA to change the custom action type to 3073 and tried to disable the UAC function in the windows 7, and also tried to use an empty Install method: public override void Install(System.Collections.IDictionary stateSaver) { ...

Outlook 2007 / Windows Mail
I have Windows mail that came with Microsoft Vista. Also am using Office 2007 Home and Student edition . I noticed that I am unable to use my E-mail through Word and Excel Office 20007 without downloading Outlook these funtions are grayed out . Is there any way I can just purchase Outlook so that I can use Windows mail with my Office that I currently have. Or is there a patch I can use in order to make all funtions available in the Office suite. Thank You Regards, DWj I think OL2007 is available separately if you check online. I'm seeing prices around $60-$75 "Dean J.&...

Unable to add printers to windows server 2008 x64
I am having difficulties adding any printers to my Server 2008 SP2 box. Every time that I go to add a printer through TCP/IP port, I come up with an error saying: "Printer driver was not installed. Operation could not be completed (error 0x00000057)" I managed to get one printer running on PCL5e drivers but the test pages I'm printing have the last line of the text cut off. I have made sure that I'm by no doubt trying to install the printer with the 64 bit drivers. I've checked and double checked. this is the error E:\>winerror 0x00000057 87...

Smartlist Alternate GP Modified Windows
With version 9, there are many new lookups listed in Security under SmartList (blue screens). I was trying to modify these lookups to change the sort by. Example: from customer maintenance, bring up the Customers And Prospects window sorted by Customer name. However, I cannot get to the CustomerSortBy field which is on the new lookup (v9) to add it to visual basic so that I can set the window's CustomerSortBy in vba. I am able to do this using the original Customers and Prospects windows (the green form) using instructions found online. To use this green form I had to go i...