Restart Window Service

Hi,

I have an application that attempts to start a service that is detected to
be stopped by the user using SetServiceStatus.  However, this is only
successful on the first time but fails on the subsequent tries with an error
message 'Could not stop the <service name> service on local computer. The
service did not return an error. This could be an internal windows error or
an internal service error. if problem persists, contact your system
administrator'.  Anyone knows why?

Regards

cleohm
0
cleohm (20)
3/2/2008 8:34:01 AM
vc.mfc 33608 articles. 0 followers. Follow

Which version of Windows?  What does the code look like?  What ACLs were set for the
service?  What service?

Otherwise, the answer is "you are doing something either incorrectly, or forbidden. Either
fix the bug, or don't do that"
				hie

On Sun, 2 Mar 2008 00:34:01 -0800, cleohm <cleohm@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I have an application that attempts to start a service that is detected to
>be stopped by the user using SetServiceStatus.  However, this is only
>successful on the first time but fails on the subsequent tries with an error
>message 'Could not stop the <service name> service on local computer. The
>service did not return an error. This could be an internal windows error or
>an internal service error. if problem persists, contact your system
>administrator'.  Anyone knows why?
>

>Regards
>
>cleohm
Joseph M. Newcomer [MVP]
email: newcomer@flounder.com
Web: http://www.flounder.com
newcomer (15975)
3/2/2008 6:19:40 PM
Hi,

I am running the following code on WinXP Prof.  Personally, I feel that this
is a handler out of scope issue but do not know how I can go about resolving
this.  Do help shed some light if possible.  Thanks.

service_main(){
                serviceStatus.dwServiceType        = SERVICE_WIN32;
	serviceStatus.dwCurrentState       = SERVICE_START_PENDING;
	serviceStatus.dwControlsAccepted   = 0;
	serviceStatus.dwWin32ExitCode      = NO_ERROR;
	serviceStatus.dwServiceSpecificExitCode = NO_ERROR;
	serviceStatus.dwCheckPoint         = 0;
	serviceStatus.dwWaitHint           = 3000;

	hServiceStatusHandle = RegisterServiceCtrlHandler(pServiceName,
XYNTServiceHandler);

	if (hServiceStatusHandle==0)
	{
		long nError = GetLastError();
		char pTemp[121];
		sprintf(pTemp, "RegisterServiceCtrlHandler failed, error code = %d",
nError);
		AfxMessageBox(pTemp);
		return;
	}

	SetServiceStatus(hServiceStatusHandle, &serviceStatus);
}

VOID WINAPI ServiceHandler(DWORD fdwControl)
{
                switch(fdwControl)
                {
                             case SERVICE_CONTROL_STOP:
                                         serviceStatus.dwCurrentState  =
SERVICE_STOPPED;
                                         serviceStatus.dwCheckPoint
= 0;
	                         serviceStatus.dwWaitHint           = 1000;

SetServiceStatus(hServiceStatusHandle, &serviceStatus));
                                         serviceStatus.dwCurrentState =
SERVICE_RUNNING;

SetServiceStatus(hServiceStatusHandle, &serviceStatus);

                                         break;
	}
}

Regards

cleohm

"Joseph M. Newcomer" wrote:

> Which version of Windows?  What does the code look like?  What ACLs were set for the
> service?  What service?
>
> Otherwise, the answer is "you are doing something either incorrectly, or forbidden. Either
> fix the bug, or don't do that"
> 				hie
>
> On Sun, 2 Mar 2008 00:34:01 -0800, cleohm <cleohm@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >Hi,
> >
> >I have an application that attempts to start a service that is detected to
> >be stopped by the user using SetServiceStatus.  However, this is only
> >successful on the first time but fails on the subsequent tries with an error
> >message 'Could not stop the <service name> service on local computer. The
> >service did not return an error. This could be an internal windows error or
> >an internal service error. if problem persists, contact your system
> >administrator'.  Anyone knows why?
> >

> >Regards
> >
> >cleohm
> Joseph M. Newcomer [MVP]
> email: newcomer@flounder.com
> Web: http://www.flounder.com

cleohm (20)
3/3/2008 4:34:01 AM
What does this have to do with the code that is trying to restart the service?

Many serious problems with this code, see below.

On Sun, 2 Mar 2008 20:34:01 -0800, cleohm <cleohm@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I am running the following code on WinXP Prof.  Personally, I feel that this
>is a handler out of scope issue but do not know how I can go about resolving
>this.  Do help shed some light if possible.  Thanks.
>
>service_main(){
>                serviceStatus.dwServiceType        = SERVICE_WIN32;
>	serviceStatus.dwCurrentState       = SERVICE_START_PENDING;
>	serviceStatus.dwControlsAccepted   = 0;
>	serviceStatus.dwWin32ExitCode      = NO_ERROR;
>	serviceStatus.dwServiceSpecificExitCode = NO_ERROR;
>	serviceStatus.dwCheckPoint         = 0;
>	serviceStatus.dwWaitHint           = 3000;
>
>	hServiceStatusHandle = RegisterServiceCtrlHandler(pServiceName,
>XYNTServiceHandler);
>
>	if (hServiceStatusHandle==0)
>	{
>		long nError = GetLastError();
>		char pTemp[121];
****
Why do you think 121 is a reasonable value?  Why do you think AfxMessageBox is reasonable
from a service?  Why are you using an obsolete and dangerous C library function like
sprintf?   Use either strsafe.h/StringCchPrintf or VS2005+ sprintf_s.
****
>		sprintf(pTemp, "RegisterServiceCtrlHandler failed, error code = %d",
>nError);
>		AfxMessageBox(pTemp);
>		return;
>	}
>
>	SetServiceStatus(hServiceStatusHandle, &serviceStatus);
****
If the service is started, why did you not change the state to SERVICE_RUNNING?  This may
be the source of your problem.  You set start-pending but never set running!

Note that when you return from service_main, the service should be considered terminated;
the correct behavior is to either implement the service loop at this point, or block on an
event object until the stop request comes in.  I see no actual service code here, and
there is no evidence a thread started to implement the service (one or more threads are
required to implement the service, and that means either the service is in this thread or
in secondary threads created from this thread) and this function just returns.  Given it
has never set the service as running, and then exits, it is not at all surprising the SCM
has become confused.

Read the MSDN on building services, since this code does not resemble any of the examples
I am aware of.  Both examples I have found have comments that say things like
"Initialization code goes here" or "This is where the service does its work". and there is
no sign here of either case.
****
>}
>
>VOID WINAPI ServiceHandler(DWORD fdwControl)
>{
>                switch(fdwControl)
>                {
>                             case SERVICE_CONTROL_STOP:
>                                         serviceStatus.dwCurrentState  =
>SERVICE_STOPPED;
>                                         serviceStatus.dwCheckPoint
>= 0;
>	                         serviceStatus.dwWaitHint           = 1000;
****
There is no reason to use a wait hint other than 0 if the type is not a _PENDING type
****

>SetServiceStatus(hServiceStatusHandle, &serviceStatus));
>                                         serviceStatus.dwCurrentState =
>SERVICE_RUNNING;
****
Why are you setting SERVICE_RUNNING when you just stopped the service?  No wonder the SCM
is confused; you are giving it bogus information.
				joe
****

>SetServiceStatus(hServiceStatusHandle, &serviceStatus);
>
>                                         break;
>	}
>}
>
>Regards
>
>cleohm
>
>"Joseph M. Newcomer" wrote:
>
>> Which version of Windows?  What does the code look like?  What ACLs were set for the
>> service?  What service?
>>
>> Otherwise, the answer is "you are doing something either incorrectly, or forbidden. Either
>> fix the bug, or don't do that"
>> 				hie
>>
>> On Sun, 2 Mar 2008 00:34:01 -0800, cleohm <cleohm@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>>
>> >Hi,
>> >
>> >I have an application that attempts to start a service that is detected to
>> >be stopped by the user using SetServiceStatus.  However, this is only
>> >successful on the first time but fails on the subsequent tries with an error
>> >message 'Could not stop the <service name> service on local computer. The
>> >service did not return an error. This could be an internal windows error or
>> >an internal service error. if problem persists, contact your system
>> >administrator'.  Anyone knows why?
>> >

>> >Regards
>> >
>> >cleohm
>> Joseph M. Newcomer [MVP]
>> email: newcomer@flounder.com
>> Web: http://www.flounder.com

Joseph M. Newcomer [MVP]
email: newcomer@flounder.com
Web: http://www.flounder.com
newcomer (15975)
3/3/2008 8:24:39 AM
Hi,

Thanks for your reply.  Currently, I am using the  example from the
following url.  I wanted to extend it to start the service when someone
attempts to stop the service.  Is this possible?  If so how should I go about
ammending the codes?

 http://www.codersource.net/win32_nt_service.html

Regards

cleohm

"Joseph M. Newcomer" wrote:

> [...]
> >

> >SetServiceStatus(hServiceStatusHandle, &serviceStatus));
> >                                         serviceStatus.dwCurrentState =
> >SERVICE_RUNNING;
> ****
> Why are you setting SERVICE_RUNNING when you just stopped the service?  No wonder the SCM
> is confused; you are giving it bogus information.
> 				joe
> ****
> >
> >SetServiceStatus(hServiceStatusHandle, &serviceStatus);
> >
> >                                         break;
> >	}
> >}
> >
> >Regards
> >
> >cleohm
> >
> >"Joseph M. Newcomer" wrote:
> >
> >> Which version of Windows?  What does the code look like?  What ACLs were set for the
> >> service?  What service?
> >>
> >> Otherwise, the answer is "you are doing something either incorrectly, or forbidden. Either

cleohm (20)
3/3/2008 12:30:02 PM
If someone attempts to stop the service, it has to already be running.  If it is already
running, you could not start it because it is already running.  If you return
SERVICE_RUNNING when the SCM has requested a stop, then you are failing to conform to what
it requested, so your service would be incorrect.

If you don't want the service stopped, just create it without the ability to stop it.

The problem is you are showing code that does something wrong, without telling us what the
goal of the problem is.  (And the code shown is incorrect no matter what the goal is).

The errors I point out are clearly NOT in the URL you gave, so your adaptation of the code
in the URL is erroneous.
					joe

On Mon, 3 Mar 2008 04:30:02 -0800, cleohm <cleohm@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> [...]
>> >                {
>> >                             case SERVICE_CONTROL_STOP:
>> >                                         serviceStatus.dwCurrentState  =
>> >SERVICE_STOPPED;
>> >                                         serviceStatus.dwCheckPoint
>> >= 0;
>> >	                         serviceStatus.dwWaitHint           = 1000;
>> ****
>> There is no reason to use a wait hint other than 0 if the type is not a _PENDING type
>> ****
>> >

>> >SetServiceStatus(hServiceStatusHandle, &serviceStatus));
>> >                                         serviceStatus.dwCurrentState =
>> >SERVICE_RUNNING;
>> ****
>> Why are you setting SERVICE_RUNNING when you just stopped the service?  No wonder the SCM
>> is confused; you are giving it bogus information.
>> 				joe
>> ****
>> >
>> >SetServiceStatus(hServiceStatusHandle, &serviceStatus);

Answer to the most annoying problem of Windows 7
This message was posted here because: 1. I couldn't find any newsgroup on Microsoft Communities for Windows 7 (which I believe is an absolute must) 2. the program mentioned at the end would also work for Vista. From day one of upgrading to Windows 7, I was faced with the unpleasant reality that Win7 doesn't remember the size and position of folders. To further torture me, for some reason unknown to me, it began to restrict some programs' windows--such as IE , Outlook, Chrome, and a few other--to a fixed size and position, not allowing any change no matter how many tim...

Setting up services in CRM
I am trying to setup a service in CRM whose required services are dynamic - meaning it is not pre-set to 1 - 20. The reason for this is if I go to set up a new activity and the service is set to Quantity 1 but I selct two people (in this case two engineers), it pops up an error. This is pretty irritating. If I set up the service to have two resources and select only one, I get the same irritating error. Bottom line, sometimes I only need one resource and other times I need more. I hate to setup multiple selection rules to avoid getting this error. Any other way to do this? Ethan ...

Removing standard buttons from main sales window (Account)
Chris, is there also a way to remove the "New Account" button above the grid in the Sales module (when Account is selected from the left nav pane) and replace it with a custom "New Account" button? I need to do this, because our client wants to perform some checks before a salesperson can actually insert new account data. Thx in advance, Gwendy Pavlovic "Chris Rogers" wrote: > Sebastiano, > > Totally unsupported, but effective. Edit /SFA/accts/edit.aspx (after > making a backup copy!) and place the script below between the </body> &...

why do windows in taskbar go away
Why does the Windows in Taskbar checkbox within options become unchecked after opening a shared file? -- j-dawg ------------------------------------------------------------------------ j-dawg's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=16551 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=345905 dawg You don't state which version of Excel but....... This is a bug with shared workbooks in Office 2000 and it seems there never was a fix for it. Excel 2002 has corrected the bug. Gord Dibben Excel MVP On Wed, 16 Feb 2005 08:54:0...

CRM 1.2 hangs with Windows XP SP2 RC1, which new security reg key to change?
Hi all, Ive installed crm1.2 to eval and the xpsp2rc1 test pc cannot get past the first page, the window hangs. Other machines are fine, so Im guessing its one of the new com, rpc or other security "fixes" in xpsp2 thats bust it. Does anyone know which one its likely to be, so I can disable the right one? Thanks Rich Hi: Is this in the browser client or SFO client? If it's the browser SP2 includes a pop-up blocker and such blockers break the CRM functionality...you can disable the new IE pop-up blocker (it's on by default) by opening IE and clicking Tools->Pop-Up...

Popup Message "extend services"
My Money Plus online services are due to expire on 8/13/2009. I keep getting a popup message asking me to "extend services" or "remind me later". If I select the "extend services" massage I get the message telling me that Money is discontinuing the online services. Is there any way to get rid of this message? It appears everytime I sign out of the Money program. On Jul 25, 8:08=A0am, "Grumpy" <jban...@sbcglobal.net> wrote: > My Money Plus online services are due to expire on 8/13/2009. I keep gett= ing > a popup message asking me to &q...

how to export all my windows mail to yahoo mail
pls advise how to I export my inbox, sent box, contacts from windows mail to yahoo mail ? You can't transfer messages unless you forward them individually. I presume you are talking about the webmail version of Yahoo Mail? Yahoo also offers POP access for a small fee: http://help.yahoo.com/l/us/yahoo/mail/classic/mailplus/overview Contacts can be transferred by exporting them from Windows Mail (File, Export, Windows Contacts, CSV) then importing that CSV file into = Yahoo Mail. Gary VanderMolen, Microsoft MVP (Mail) "des" wrote in message = news:7243275A...

Spell checher not working in Windows XP
I just upgraded to Win XP. Installed my Office 97. My spell checker doesn't work in Outlook Express now. I get a message stating "error occurred while checking spelling" I reinstalled office but still doesn't work. Help!! See How To Fix spell checking in Outlook Express 6 http://www.tech-pro.co.uk/howto_010.html Spell check not working in XP Outlook Express http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/spellcheck.htm Spell Checker Not Working in Windows XP http://www2.cajun.net/~theriots/blk/xp_oe.htm#xp_spell_checker -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself...

Outlook 2000 cannot shutdown, services still running
Hi all, I have Outlook2000 SR/1 at work and Outlook2003 at home. Right after I've installed Outlook2003 at home, when I'm at work, I cannot shutdown my Outlook2000 anymore. Both Outlooks are checking/.sending mail from the same Exchange server. Pls help, thks. Dan <Dan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > I have Outlook2000 SR/1 at work and Outlook2003 at home. Right after > I've installed Outlook2003 at home, when I'm at work, I cannot > shutdown my Outlook2000 anymore. Both Outlooks are > checking/.sending mail from the same Exchange server. Pls...

Creating and Destroying a Window in CWinThread Derived Class
Hello, (Using VC++ 6.0) I am extremely frustrated with this and have burned many hours and still no solution. This should be simple. I have created a sample app that does the following: 1) Creates a CWinThread derived class from Class Wizard called SeperateThread. 2) Creates a modeless dialog box on thread initialization 3) Destroys it on ExitInstance() SeperateThread. Problem: ExitInstance() in cannot destroy the window I created just above on thread InitInstance(). Code Snippets: CTestThreaddingJunkDlg.h CSeperateThread ThreadA; declared in the base .h file In CTestThreaddingJun...

Outlook 2002 and Windows 7 password problem
After upgrading from XP to Win7 I installed Office XP. Everything installed without a problem until I ran Outlook. Every time I started Outlook my passwords were awol. I looked at various forums and discovered this is a known problem since Vista was introduced. I am happy with Word and Excel XP and I really don't want to buy an a new expensive Office just because of this incompatibility! Does anyone have a fix or are there any alternative solutions available? Try using Outlook in corporate/workgroup mode. Since Office XP is now 8 years old, it's not supported on newer OS'...

How to set focus to the window shown by the API ShowWindow(SW_SHOW) #2
Hi, I am using ShowWindow(SW_HIDE) to hide my window when minimizing the application.. Now, when user clicks on the icon I am using code, ShowWindow(SW_SHOW) to show my window back to the screen.. and it comes back.. But still the window does not come on top.. it comes on the last z-order.. so, if that window is the only window on my screen i am able to see the window.. of if another window is smaller than mine winodw, i will be able to see the remaining portion of my window.. my window is getting focused but other windows (after loosing focus - in inactive state) shows up on the top.....

stopping exchange services prior to backup?
is there anyway to avoid stopping all exchange services before a backup in order to backup the *.edb files? using nt backup You shouldn't backup the database files directly, but should select "Microsoft Information Store" in NTBackup. This does a complete online backup and flushes old log files. The only time you really do an offline backup is if you're going to be moving servers or doing an offline defrag and want a copy of your files in case you mess-up. Patrick Rouse Microsoft MVP - Terminal Server >-----Original Message----- >is there anyway to avoid sto...

How to restart information store?
I have Windows NT 4.0 SP6 it is PDC and Exchange Server 5.5 SP4 and ScanMail V 3.51. Two or three times per week information store stops with out reason. How can I automaticly restart information store? How can it be restarted by event from event viewer? Information store stops unexpectedly <Informationstorestopsunexpectedly@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > I have Windows NT 4.0 SP6 it is PDC and Exchange Server 5.5 SP4 and ScanMail V 3.51. Two or three times per week information store stops with out reason. How can I automaticly restart information store? How can it be restarte...

I am unable to update my Windows media player
I am using this audiobook program called overdrive media, and it requires Windows Media Player. When i try to download an audiobook this message (http://s238.photobucket.com/albums/ff295/yummyjellybucket/?action=view&current=VAAAT.png) pops up and when i press OK it won't let me. I am unable to put the audiobook on itunes because i downloaded it from my library website. PLEASE HELP On Mon, 26 Apr 2010 20:12:01 -0700, ItalianKahlanAmnell <ItalianKahlanAmnell@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I am using this audiobook program called overdrive media, and it requ...

Service Calendar & Resources
I am just starting to play with the Service Calendar and have a question.... When I list "Resource" in the Type dropdown menn of the Service Calendar, ALL CRM users are displayed, regardless of their security role, access to Service, etc.. Obviously, the same result is achieved if is choose "User" in the Type dropdown. Only a portion of my CRM users are Service Personnel. I would only like to display only my actual Service Resources on the Service Calenday. Having sales and operations employees displayed just makes the calendar too crowded. If I wanted to see ...

Years of service...
How would I determine years of service.... example is September 01, 1989? One way: =DATEDIF(A1,TODAY(),"y") See http://cpearson.com/excel/datedif.htm In article <E3019F83-5BD9-4355-9053-5EE82D6010BE@microsoft.com>, "Kane" <Kane@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > How would I determine years of service.... example is September 01, 1989? JE... I would like to present a blank cell in "L46" if there is no Anniversary date entered in "D46" different examples; >D46: Anniversary Date ... MM/dd/yy >H46: =IF(D46="&qu...

Tracking service tickets from another data base.
We have a network monitoring system which has SQL database and webased interface. We need Email alerts to be converted into service tickets. (When an alarm or a ticket) happened and recorded by our system then the data which have been recorded has to be inserted to CRM database in the service ticket queue). How can we do that? -- Best Regards, Mahmoud A.Shaban Try out c360's E-mail to Case: http://www.c360.com/EmailToCase.aspx "Mahmoud Shaban" wrote: > We have a network monitoring system which has SQL database and webased > interface. > We need Email alerts ...

Q: Is Windows 98 compatible with Jet 4.0?
I am considering upgrading to DAO 3.6 and Jet 4.0 for my application as outlined in Microsoft Knowledge Base Article Q236991. However, I thought I read somewhere that Windows 98 will not support Jet 4.0 unless Second Edition is installed. Please advise. Michael T. ...

How to hide Disassembly Window?
I prefer to step through my source code, not the assemby code. Is there anyway to prevent it from popping up each time I hit F5? Thanks hi debugger shows the assembly code only when it unables to load the pdb files. If the debugger step into the system dlls, it dont have any way to load the pdb files, except u install the symbol files. make sure that all the symbol files(.dbg or .pdb files) available for the debugger naren "Mike Makuch" wrote: > I prefer to step through my source code, not the assemby code. > Is there anyway to prevent it from popping up each time I ...

Retrieving Windows LoginId
Hi, I would like to know if i can get the windows login id of the user currently logged in to the computer. I am developing an MFC activex application. Currently i authenticate the user by popping an authentication dialog asking for userid and password. The userid, password is then passed to a ISAPI web which authenticates the user by matching it with the database entries. I would like to know if it is possible to use something like Windows Authentication where the user doesn't have to enter his userid , password. The application takes the loginid (domain\username) of the currently logged...

Task Manager on Windows XP
Hi, My PC which is running Windows XP Pro with SP2 suddenly has the Microsoft Windows XP "Task Manager" not working as before. It seems to be damaged, and does not show the top level menu that allowed me to choose whether to look at the 'performance graph' or at 'processes' or ' applications' !!!!!! All I see now seems to be a list of processes running (might be just the 'processes' screen/window portion of Task Manger). I don't have access to looking at the running 'applications' or looking at the CPU and Memory graphs, nor am I a...

error message is sql reporting service 2005
I am new to sql reporting service 2005. I am getting an error message saying the 'command text' property is not 'initialized'. Being a .net programmer, I know the comand text is the sql in text format or a stored procedure is not being accessed. This error occurs after I have setup a report manually and I have changed the stored procedure that is being called or after I have made a modification to the report. Note: when I setup the report format initially myself, the report runs and displays all the data I want to see. Thus, can you make suggestion...

whether web service method's argument must be string?
I have used SOAP UI to check my web service. It supports POST, XML and SOAP content types. The web service method takes three arguments of the three, the first one is of type char. The SOAP UI returns a serialization error, and after I convert char into string it is working fine. Is this a limitation of web service method or problem with SOAP UI? How do I write a client application in C# to consume the web service using different content types, such as POST, XML and SOAP? Note: My web service need to support all these three. Thank you Regards Raj ...

Restart Integration for GP
I need to know if I can restart a CRM integration to Great Plains that was previously stopped by just re-running the integration scripts. Here are more details on the situation: While running the first two scripts of the Great Plains integration, only about half of our products transferred to the CRM Server before the number of "aborts" started climbing in component services. I let it run for two days without any progress inthe ProductBase table. To stop the integration, I disabled all of the scheduled jobs in CRMINTEGRATION database and the work queue eventually cleared o...