Resizing controls in a dialog - trouble when changing the hardware

Hi there,
I build an application with different dialogs which can be resized by the
user. When this happens, I use OnSize to give new dimensions and positions
to the controls in the dialog. I measure the window and put the controls to
a special ratio of the whole screen; snippet:

   GetClientRect(&crClientRect);                   // complete window
   cx = (iBorderHor * 4);
   cy = iBorderHor;
   sx = crClientRect.Height() - (crObject2Rect.Height() * 6);
   sy = (crClientRect.Width() / 4) - (iBorderHor);
   m_BrowseTree.SetWindowPos(&wndTop, cy, cx, sy, sx, 0);

This works very well on the machine where I develop the app. It even works
when I copy the app to my presentation-laptop where I use the same
screen-size. But what makes me crazy: On the laptop some of the controls
have slightly different positions than on the desktop-computer. It's not
much difference, just so that it looks ugly (labels run into controls, the
alignment at the bottom does not fit etc.) Of course the systems have
different screen drivers, but a pixel is a pixel, as I see it.
The other problem that I have: Icons that I use withe tree controls etc.
also look different on the laptop. The laptop was just recently set up, so I
think the installation ought to be ok.

I work with VC 6, the desktop computer runs on Win 98, the laptop on Win NT
4 (didn't choose it myself).

Any idea anybody?

TIA
Thomas

begin 666 Thomas Kregeloh.vcf
M0D5'24XZ5D-!4D0-"E9%4E-)3TXZ,BXQ#0I..DMR96=E;&]H.U1H;VUA<PT*
M1DXZ5&AO;6%S($MR96=E;&]H#0I8+5=!0BU'14Y$15(Z,@T*14U!24P[4%)%
M1CM)3E1%4DY%5#I4:&]+0&-O;7!U<V5R=F4N8V]M#0I2158Z,C P-# R,#%4
4,3 T-S4U6@T*14Y$.E9#05)$#0H`
`
end

0
ThoK (15)
2/1/2004 10:47:55 AM
vc.mfc 33608 articles. 0 followers. Follow

Have you checked Font size option? This is
Display/Settings/Advanced/General/Font size. Common guidelines recomend to
test software on small, large and Custom(175%) fonts to see if layout is OK.

--
Igor Green,
Grig Software.

0
grigsoft (56)
2/1/2004 11:50:38 AM
> I build an application with different dialogs which can be resized by the
> user. When this happens, I use OnSize to give new dimensions and positions
> to the controls in the dialog. I measure the window and put the controls to
> a special ratio of the whole screen; snippet:
If you encounter this kind of problems now with the English, just think
what you will run into when you play with skins on Windows XP or when you
will get this translated into Japanese (let's say).
And if this is not a toy application, but something you do for your company,
you never know than some marketing guy comes with the request.

So, think twice before going this way !

--
Mihai
-------------------------

how ,programatically we can open a file dialog box
hi How,programmatically,we can open a file dialog box. My probs is 1. On click of some menu ,I want to open dialog box ,which contains all files. 2. I want to open file dialog box ,which contains file without any extenstion. Arbind hi, Arbind wrote: > hi > > How,programmatically,we can open a file dialog box. > > My probs is > > 1. On click of some menu ,I want to open dialog box ,which contains all > files. > > 2. I want to open file dialog box ,which contains file without any > extenstion. > > Arbind > > You c...

Vlookup dynamically changes for different ranges
I have a vlookup that needs to look at different tables. Is there any way to automatically change the range it looks up, without if lloops. So if you put a 1 in cell A1 it would look up the first range, 2 the second range and so on. I tried using choose but this did not work. Thanks You need the INDIRECT() function. Look in HELP for details; if you can't sort it out, post again! -- Kind Regards, Niek Otten Microsoft MVP - Excel "Jeff" <Jeff@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:5BD4B0B0-BD49-402F-BEC3-DF7DE68D2E55@microsoft.com... >I have a vloo...

could i customize the dialog that popups up when calling SHBrowserForFolder
i wanna add a checkbox to the dialog, could i?how? thanks in advance I guess there is no way to customize the common dialog, you must create a new dialog and provide the required functionality in it /Kiran thinktwice wrote: > i wanna add a checkbox to the dialog, could i?how? > thanks in advance Take a look at this article. I'm not sure this is what you want, but it's cheap to look. http://www.codeproject.com/dialog/yabffwcp.asp Tom "thinktwice" <memorialday@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1158055405.669054.272220@d34g2000cwd.googlegroups.com... >i...

Utility to change location of linked tables?
Is there a utility available which will quickly and easily modify the location of linked tables? In other words, the problem I want to solve is to use the same application on different sets of data on the same computer. I don't want to move the tables around. I want to look at the same tables names but in different folders on my computer, depending on what the user chooses. e.g., You can choose Class 1 or Class 2 or Class 3, and the application would look at c:\Class1\Students.mdb or c:\Class2\Students.mdb or c:\class3\Students.mdb SORRY! Accidentally posted to the wrong n...

Trouble with sums in report
Hi, Trying to do a report based on a form/subform. Did a query to include all data from form and subform and made a report where everything shows up fine and is grouped as I want it. BUT. I can sum data from the report detail section just fine but cannot sum data that is in the next level up - the DailyRecordID header. Is there a way? must I use VBA? I'm a slow and simple code writer. Any help appreciated Brian S. Brian Snelling wrote: > Trying to do a report based on a form/subform. Did a query to include >all data fro...

Mandatory Password Change using OWA
Is there a way of making OWA mandate a password change. Like the Windows login password mandate that says you have to change your password in order to log in? I figured it would do that automatically. Instead it's locking my clients out once their password expires and I get an angry phone call. I have Exchange 2003 SP2 on a Windows 2000 SP4 Server box. Thanks in advance for any input. Michael On Wed, 27 Sep 2006 21:31:08 GMT, nospam@noway.com wrote: >Is there a way of making OWA mandate a password change. > >Like the Windows login password mandate that says you have to cha...

Changing right side scrollbar bar row number box?
Hi, In excel when you click and hold the right hand scroll bar and move up and down the worksheet it displays the row number you are on. Is there any way to change that to pick up the value within column a instead? Many thanks, Rick I don't think so. In fact, when you upgrade to xl2k, those numbers disappear and the worksheet will scroll live--you'll see the worksheet change right before your eyes. (It works that way in xl2002. I _think_ xl2k is the first with this newer behavior.) "news.microsoft.com > > Hi, > > In excel when you click and hold the righ...

Outlook 2003 opens up automatically with a message dialog box.
Hello, I am using outlook 2003. After logging into the computer, outlook comes up automatically and prompts a message dialgo box "Outlook is about to import information into your Email accounts. This can potentially modify or replace your existing E-mail account settings. Would you like to import the account settings? (Outlook will be opened after you click Yes or No)." I have tried following; - scan the machine with adaware - scan the machine with anti-virus -checked msconfig under startup tab, nothing suspiscious found there. - Un install and re install Office 2003 - Re create win...

Printing a dialog box
My code opens some dialog boxes, with buttons and all the rest, and I draw some data of my own on the dialog. I want to print the dialog exactly as it appears on the screen. But because the dialog is not derived from CView or other class that knows how to print, there seems to be no provision for this function. I have succeeded only by recreating the entire thing with a separate routine that is not itself a dialog. There must be an easier way. Does anyone know how? I can make a bitmap copy of the screen and paste it into a graphics program, but that is a kludge. Check out the WM_...

Changing the font of a PropertyPage
Hallo, Can anybody tell me how I can change the font of a PropertyPage within a PropertySheet. I have tried to change the font in the resource editor, nothing happened. I have changed all possible element of the operating systems desktop, nothing happened. What is the way ?? Thank for any useful hint. "jackson" <j.riedel@meditec.zeiss.com> wrote in message news:4270ddb1$0$307$4d4ebb8e@read-nat.news.de.uu.net... > Hallo, > Can anybody tell me how I can change the font of a PropertyPage within a > PropertySheet. > I have tried to change the font in the resource ed...

Making EX2007 a second domain controller
We are migrating from SBS2003 to Exchange 2007. After making sure all was well with the Ex2007 installation, I ran dcpromo on the EX2007 server, but it would not work because it said the shema was not compatable. It said to run Adprep, but that would probably break Exchange 2007. Is there a patch or hotfix to let dcpromo know that the Exchange 2007 modified schema is not an old legacy shema that needs updating ? Or What ? (The next version of Small Business Server is going to run Longhorn with Ex2007 as a domain controller) On Mon, 29 Jan 2007 16:56:41 -0600, "steveb" &...

undo changes
how can I undo changes in an excel file to an earlier date. I am trying to restore my excel file. Edit|Undo. But that is available for just a little time after you do something. If you've closed or even saved the file since, then Edit|Undo won't be available. Do you have a backup copy? Did you email an earlier copy to anyone? Maybe you'll find it in your Sent folder or the recipient can send a copy back. gabriel h wrote: > > how can I undo changes in an excel file to an earlier date. I am trying to > restore my excel file. -- Dave Peterson ...

Active X Controls 04-26-10
When I open some messages in WML (even those from safe senders) I get the following message: "One or more Active X controls could not be displayed because your current security settings prohibit running ActiveX controls on this page" What does this mean, and what should I do? Thank you -- MS You can lower your security settings in Windows Live Mail, thereby allowing scripts (such as ActiveX) to run: Tools, Safety Options, Security, Internet zone. --=20 Gary VanderMolen, Microsoft MVP (Mail) Microsoft MVP program: http://mvp.support.microsoft.com "...

Changing ownership of Accounts
I need to change the owner of all accounts in CRM to one Generic user. The sales team is no longer using CRM and I want to free up their licenses. I am having a problem with the fact that I can not change the owner of an account with out it changing the owner of any open or existing cases or activities. Yes, you might want the owner to trickle down but it is my customer care groups that have all these open tickets,not the sales team. When I change ownership they loose their cases that they have been working on. I have several thousand customers to change with open cases and am having t...

Destination Address Changed
Hi, I am trying to send an email to address@abc.com, I am getting an NDR saying The following message to <address@xyx.com> was undeliverable. The reason for the problem: 5.1.1 - Bad destination email address 'ldap reject' Please note that in the NDR the mail address domain has changed from abc to xyz. I have used nslookup to check the mail server for domain abc.com and the mail server is servername.xyz.com. But I don’t understand why sending to a server with different domain name will change the destination mail address or produce an NDR. Please help me solve this puzz...

Changing interface in running time
Hi everyone Now I have an interesting problem and apply for your help SoapClient30 is an class in MSSOAP30.dll(that is Microsoft Soap Type Library V3.0),the class has several methods,including the mssoapinit method.After calling mssoapinit using a WSDL file as parameter,the SoapClient30 object will have added methods that be recorded in the WSDL file,but these methods had not be defined in the SoapClient30 calss originally.This is an interesting phenomenon It's possible to add method member to an object in running time Is there anyone who knows how to implement that tec...

Hi again, my colleagues are getting annoyed that whenever I make a change to an appointment, they get updates. Even if the change is extending it by half an hour, or changing the spelling of the subject or venue. But even more annoyingly, when I change the time of appointment, they all receive a cancellation, then eventually a new meeting invitation arrives for the same event. This puts them into a panic. I am using Outlook 2007. They are all using 02 and 03.Some updates I want them to have, but I'd like to choose when to send and when not. Currently I only get this choice when making ve...

How do I change lower case to upper case in a worksheet for a mai.
I have entered info in all lower case in all fields (rows & columns) How can I change them all to upper case? Hi see: http://www.cpearson.com/excel/case.htm -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "ddc" <ddc@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:D325B678-240B-4847-B394-26E42E5BA813@microsoft.com... > I have entered info in all lower case in all fields (rows & columns) > How can I change them all to upper case? ...

hide and show columns using one control button
Hi. I am great in excel but not so great in macros I am creating a rperot that has "this year", "plan", and "last year" columns. I want to be able to hide and show specific columns like "this year" by pressing a "hide ty" button and once it is hidden, have that same button now say "show this year" and then show this year columns. I have created two button controled macros to do the above but I want to only have one button that toggles and the text changes from hide to show. I have an example of this that I can send to someone....

Can't change register number
When I try to change my admin>config>register number to 2 and click ok; if I go back in it is '1' again. I have 2 registers setup in SOMGR>database>registers>registerlist You need to be logged in your PC with an User Account Administrator. This problem that you described occurs because your tried to change the parameters of SOAdmin with a restricted user account. Roberto "NcS" wrote: > When I try to change my admin>config>register number to 2 and click ok; if I > go back in it is '1' again. I have 2 registers setup in > SOMGR>...

Problem with changing a cell validation through VBA
Dear all, I have a problem with a macro which I have recorded in Excel. The macro comes with an error in running the recorded script. This error is: Run-time error '1004': Application-defined of object-defined error. This is the VBA-coding which has the problem: Range("A12").Validation _ .Modify xlValidateCustom, Formula1:=3D"=3DAND(COUNTIF($A$11:$A$52;$A12)<2;VLOOKUP($A12;PRODUCTS;3;F= =ADALSE)=3D""RED"")" Momentarily the cell has the same validation, only the Vlookup has to match "YELLOW". This rule has been manually ...

Edits in Acct Reg Change Other Entries
Hello. I haven't been using Money for very long, and can't figure this one out: I have been downloading my checking acct activity in QIF format, and Money recognizes the file, then imports it into my Account Register. This seems to be going OK, but then, when a check payment is downloaded, I want to edit the specifics of it, such as, entering the name of the Payee, or adding a different memo, whatever. Then, much to my frustration, Money will also change the Payees on other, random checks to match the one I changed! Really! I just don't get it. The amounts, dates, memo...

Web Query Changes Format to Scientific in Excel
Hi, This problem seems to be a challenging one around here! I am using a Web Query in Excel 2002 to simply return data from a web page into a worksheet. Some data on the web page are alpha-numeric fields that cause problem when they contain the letter E. For example the field '234E2' for which the web query returns as '2.34E+04' (Scientific number format). If you try to convert back to Text it will end up as '23400' which would be totally incorrect. I have tried changing the worksheet format to Text and disabling the Excel's Autoformat before dumping the query resu...

Changing row color in a grid
Hi all! Is it possible to change the background color of a grid row in a view, based on a field value? I would like to qualify opportunities as hot (red), medium (yellow) or low (gren). Thanks for your input on this, -- Jenny :) It can be done, in lots of fairly unsupported ways mind: http://blog.odynia.org/categories/3-Microsoft-CRM The supported way forward is to use SRS Reports and a Dashboard (either through MSCRM's ISV.Config, or Sharepoint) to build your own view, this gives you a supported solution with considerable more freedom on the appearance however involves much ...

Copy/Paste Controlled by Timer
How can I create a macro that calculates a time interval, say 10 seconds, and then copies all data from column B to column C, then waits 10 minutes, then copies columns C to D, waits 10 minutes, then copies D to E, and so on and so forth. Thanks! -- Ryan--- If this information was helpful, please indicate this by clicking ''Yes''. Look at Application.OnTime eg. Dim col As Integer Sub StartItUp() col = 2 Application.OnTime Now + TimeSerial(0, 0, 10), "DoCopy" End Sub Sub TimedCopy() Sheet1.Columns(col).Copy Sheet1.Columns(...