Re: Where should be the best place to stored Applcation Data Files?

"Giovanni Dicanio" <gdicanio@_NOSPAM_email_DOT_it> ha scritto nel messaggio

> BTW: this post by John Robbins is very interesting reading:
> http://www.wintellect.com/CS/blogs/jrobbins/default.aspx

copy-and-pasto - the correct link is this:

http://www.wintellect.com/CS/blogs/jrobbins/archive/2008/07/10/in-defense-of-vista-and-the-challenges-facing-windows-7.aspx

Giovanni

0
Giovanni
8/8/2008 4:50:23 PM
vc.mfc 33608 articles. 0 followers. Follow

And then there's this Vista security discussion from last Friday (cool
date, 8/8/8):

http://it.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=08/08/08/1155208

-GB

On Fri, 8 Aug 2008 18:50:23 +0200, "Giovanni Dicanio"
<gdicanio@_NOSPAM_email_DOT_it> wrote:

>"Giovanni Dicanio" <gdicanio@_NOSPAM_email_DOT_it> ha scritto nel messaggio
>
>> BTW: this post by John Robbins is very interesting reading:
>> http://www.wintellect.com/CS/blogs/jrobbins/default.aspx
>
>copy-and-pasto - the correct link is this:
>
>http://www.wintellect.com/CS/blogs/jrobbins/archive/2008/07/10/in-defense-of-vista-and-the-challenges-facing-windows-7.aspx
>
>Giovanni

0
spamhater1 (35)
8/11/2008 5:48:26 PM
In article news:<sou0a4t8j6rebkm4bkhaijbba21rpvcjr7@4ax.com>, Geeky
Badger wrote:
> And then there's this Vista security discussion from last Friday (cool
> date, 8/8/8):
>
> http://it.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=08/08/08/1155208

That makes interesting reading -- and it's not just about Vista, of
course, the attacks outlined there affect all versions of Windows. The
point about Vista, there, is that Vista contains a lot of new security
code that makes attacking it harder, but these attacks still work.

It all appears to hinge on the fact that some code can be placed in a
web page whence it will be downloaded and JIT-compiled on the user's
machine, and that this JIT-compiled code is not subject to the same
security checks that the OS normally applies to executable images.

Now, there is a reason why Java applets are interpreted and run in a
sandbox ... and it has to do with rendering this sort of attack
impossible. Anyone JIT-compiling untrusted code and running it in an
un-sandboxable environment is asking for trouble.

What is worrying is that JIT-compiling is apparently done with
javascript and with Flash content. A very persuasive argument for
turning off browser support for both of those, I would say.

Cheers,
 Daniel.

0
wastebasket (364)
8/12/2008 9:31:03 AM
....somehow, "I told you so" seems so smug.  But "I told you so".  I have been saying for
years that client-side scripting that runs without sandboxing is a fundamentally stupid
idea.  It's nice to be proven right.  Although the article says nothing new that I didn't
know at least seven years ago.

I disable all JavaVirus and ActiveVirus controls, did so years ago.
					joe

On Tue, 12 Aug 2008 10:31:03 +0100, Daniel James <wastebasket@nospam.aaisp.org> wrote:

>In article news:<sou0a4t8j6rebkm4bkhaijbba21rpvcjr7@4ax.com>, Geeky
>Badger wrote:
>> And then there's this Vista security discussion from last Friday (cool
>> date, 8/8/8):
>>
>> http://it.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=08/08/08/1155208
>
>That makes interesting reading -- and it's not just about Vista, of
>course, the attacks outlined there affect all versions of Windows. The
>point about Vista, there, is that Vista contains a lot of new security
>code that makes attacking it harder, but these attacks still work.
>
>It all appears to hinge on the fact that some code can be placed in a
>web page whence it will be downloaded and JIT-compiled on the user's
>machine, and that this JIT-compiled code is not subject to the same
>security checks that the OS normally applies to executable images.
>
>Now, there is a reason why Java applets are interpreted and run in a
>sandbox ... and it has to do with rendering this sort of attack
>impossible. Anyone JIT-compiling untrusted code and running it in an
>un-sandboxable environment is asking for trouble.
>
>What is worrying is that JIT-compiling is apparently done with
>javascript and with Flash content. A very persuasive argument for
>turning off browser support for both of those, I would say.
>
>Cheers,
> Daniel.

Joseph M. Newcomer [MVP]
email: newcomer@flounder.com
Web: http://www.flounder.com
newcomer (15974)
8/17/2008 1:56:30 AM
In article news:<v31fa411ovrho9latpne2uqenjs98474p6@4ax.com>, Joseph M.
Newcomer wrote:
> ....somehow, "I told you so" seems so smug.  But "I told you so".
> I have been saying for years that client-side scripting that runs
> without sandboxing is a fundamentally stupid idea.

I know, Joe. So have I.

I was just making the point, again, in the light of these new findings.

> It's nice to be proven right.  Although the article says nothing
> new that I didn't know at least seven years ago.
>
> I disable all JavaVirus and ActiveVirus controls, did so years ago.

What the article says that is important is that what we all knew seven
years ago (or more?) is *still* true, despite all the noise people have
been making about XP and Vista doing terribly clever things to make
these inherently unsafe technologies somehow magically acceptable.

JavaVirus (as you so poignantly name it -- and I'm not sure whether you
mean Java itself or JavaScript) is not quite as bad as the others
because it/they can be sandboxed effectively (whether they are is
another matter) ... what the recent paper shows is that there is no
effective protection against the subversion of those technologies that
run native code within a browser (be it precompiled as in ActiveX or
JIT compiled as in .net objects).

ActiveVirus -- and let's not forget FlashVirus while we're at it -- are
so deeply and fundamentally flawed from a security perspective that it
should a crime to use them in any public-facing site.

Your Mr.Obama (I'm in the UK, so he's not my Mr.Obama) suddenly seems
very keen on internet security ... I wonder whether we can persuade him
to do something about that if/when he gets the chance?

I hope you enjoyed your recent break.

Cheers,
 Daniel.

0
wastebasket (364)

SQL in Excel data
Hi all, Is there a possibility/way to run an SQL query in an excel data sheet? I have quite some data like the sample below, now i would like to have the sum of spending for each person. Like it is possible in Access. A1 B1 Field1 Field2 Chuck 12,89 Mike 23,09 Jean 9,34 Chuck 30,00 Mike 3,80 Chuck 22,00 Mike 7,23 Jean 10,55 Jean 10,75 Jean 31,45 Chuck 19,99 Result Field1 SumOfField2 Chuck 84,88 Jean 62,09 Mike 34,12 Advice would be appriciated. Cheers, Ludovic Hi You could use a formula like this ...

How insert a file into an email w/o it automatically attaching it
Hi, I am trying to insert a word document file from a folder to an email and it keeps attaching it to the email instead of inserting it inside of the email. Thanks for any assistance! "Gary" <Gary@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:5D04C381-637A-4C6D-937C-2451B7321977@microsoft.com... > Hi, > > I am trying to insert a word document file from a folder to an email and > it > keeps attaching it to the email instead of inserting it inside of the > email. > > Thanks for any assistance! What version of Outlook? use copy and paste or...

How to get XML data out of an XML file

Multiple PST Files #2

Money 2006 file repair application error

unable to access mail after re-enable account
Hi, After enable an disable account and change its password, it can login to its mail account. What's happening. Is it normal? Thanks a lot What is the error message when user tries to access mailbox? Does the user still show in ADUC has having Exchange attributes? Have you looked at the MB using ESM to see if it is disconnected? "Raymond" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:136c01c46f11$d16f8390$a301280a@phx.gbl... > Hi, > > After enable an disable account and change its password, > it can login to its mail account. What's hap...

Application hanging on file load...
Okay, I'm having the strangest problem, and I'm hoping somebody here will be able to give me an idea of how to attack it... I have an MFC application that does some networked communication, multi-threading, fun stuff... I also load and save xml configuration files. Now, on most of the computers I've run my software on, I have absolutely no problems. On SOME boxes, however, whenever I use my menu to try to load or save a file... before the File Dialog box even comes up... the application hangs. All the boxes I've tried this on have been Windows 2000 boxes with Service Pack 4....

can't open files

How refresh imported data automatically?
In Excel, I've imported data into a worksheet. I know I can click Data.. Refresh Data to requery the source, but I want to be able to do it in a more automated way. Is there some sort of macro I can write when opened or something? Thanks, Ron Ron, Select the cell the data starts in, select Data/Import External Data/Data Range Properties Check the box "Refresh on file open" and anything else that needs checking off... Other than that, you could record a new Macro that selects your cell, refreshes data, and assign the macro to a keystroke, or even an icon. Beege ...

I can no longer convert my files to pdf

Question About Missing Data
So, this is probably really easy, but I just want to ask and see if I may be missing something here. Some data on vendor numbers changed. Let’s say IBM used to have a vendor number 12345 and now it’s vendor number is 56789. I can identify IBM as IBM, but I really want to use the number, not the name. Should I set up a table that ties the numbers together, so that Access knows 12345 = 56789? Or, should I do some kind of Update Query and change all incidences of 12345 to be 56789? Or, is there some other, method, like a ‘best practices for missing data’? Thanks! Ryan--- ...

Outlook Data Files #4

Backup Excel file

Store limit in Exchange
I'm currently researching the migration of my organization's mail system to Exchange and see that the standard edition of Exchange has a data store limit of 16GB. If we were to do a front end, back end setup with two server and the back end server that has the data store were to reach the 16GB limit would adding another back end server resolve this? I read in another post that this would double the space. But doing this the users that are currently create would have to be split up and some moved to the new data store server correct? Also since the Enterprise edition allows m...

Utility (pref. script) to catalog .EDB files
Hi, I have a client that is using an Enterprise backup tool which, whilst able to back-up and restore, does not provide in-depth information like traditional Exchange-aware backup products. I have been asked to write a script to list the users in a flat .EDB file (which has been snapped and copied and flushed using SAN replication tools). I have taken a look at the ESE API, which can only be accessed using C + (I only use VB). Other than EXMERGE, does anyone know of any tools that allow you to list the basic mailbox details on a EDB file? Thanks, Hutton. ...

List folders to file

Hyperlink File Help

IMPORTING MONEY FILES DUP ENTRIES
I have been unable to run money98 files in money2003.Tried importing files but all tranfers between accounts are duplicated. Don't understand how to import all the accounts at once. I created new accounts in 2003 and imported one by one, but any transactions between accounts is duplicated. Follow the prompts on the import file dialog that tell you to select multiple files to import at the same time. There are other guidelines if investment accounts are involved. You might want to review postings on this subject in the group archives at http://groups.google.com. "JAYNE" &l...

Find what control is using a data item
I built a form, then deleted 2 columns from the source table and now I get a popup asking for the value of those 2 columns. The problem is, I don't use those columns so I need to find what on the form is refferencing the deleted columns. I have looked at the control drop down on the properties window and the tab order window and can't find a control with either one of the missing column names. How do I determine what is trying to refference the deleted columns? I found the problem, the column was still referenced in the underlying query that fed the form. "MeSteve"...

Lost .pst files
I am using Office XP with Outlook 2002 (SP2). I recently had a boot track failure on my old computer which had 2 hard drives, using the second drive as back-up storage. I bought a new computer and installed the old main drive (the one with the failed boot track) in my new computer as a second drive and copied all the data onto the new main drive. All data and software works except Outlook. I cannot find any .pst files on my old drive. Where could they be. BTW I use Matadore as a spam blocker. In article <014e01c3462e$561cbdf0$a101280a@phx.gbl>, daddyray01 @sport.rr.com say...

Read file info using SMO locks database!
Hi! I'm using SMO from C# to restore a database from a backup file. Since I want to re-use the same datafiles I try to read the datafiles in my destination database and call RelocateFile to use these filenames during the restore. Everyting works fine except when I try to read the current datafilenames (see code below). If I skip this code and just hardcode the paths in relocatefile everything works fine. Database db = svr.Databases[destinationDBName]; foreach (FileGroup group in db.FileGroups) foreach (DataFile file in group.Files) Console.WriteLine...