Q) CCombobox only displays one item.

Hi,

I've added several strings into a combobox, but I did see only selected item 
when I clicked the dropdown button. (please see below sorce code. I only see 
"A-" when I clicked the droupdown button)

Why i didn't see any other string such as "A+", "A", and etc?

Could you please advise me?

Thank you.

Daum


BOOL CGradeDlg::OnInitDialog()
{
   CDialog::OnInitDialog();

   // TODO:  Add extra init
    CString str = _T("A+");
    m_Grade.AddString( str );

    str = _T("A");
    m_Grade.AddString( str );

    str = _T("A-");
    m_Grade.AddString( str );

    str = _T("B+");
    m_Grade.AddString( str );
    m_Grade.SetCurSel(2);

    m_Grade.SetTopIndex(20);

     return TRUE;  // return TRUE unless you set the focus to a control
    // EXCEPTION: OCX Property Pages should return FALSE
}
0
Utf
11/20/2009 11:50:02 AM
vc.mfc 33608 articles. 0 followers. Follow

15 Replies
992 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 12

>I've added several strings into a combobox, but I did see only selected item 
>when I clicked the dropdown button. (please see below sorce code. I only see 
>"A-" when I clicked the droupdown button)
>
>Why i didn't see any other string such as "A+", "A", and etc?

Daum,

The usual problem is that the combo list is only 1 item deep. In the
dialog editor click the combo's drop button and resize the drop
section height.

Dave
0
David
11/20/2009 1:46:02 PM
I agree with David.  This shouldn't happen in the 2008 resource editor since 
it already makes it big enough for a couple  of items so you see it, but in 
the past there was no drop down until you did it yourself so the first time 
people used the control they saw what you're seeing.

I'd bet if you scrolled using the arrow keys you'd see the items change (if 
they are really assigned to the combo).

You may want to turn off sorting too (in the properties) if you want the 
items to display in the order you add them.

Tom

"Daum" <Daum@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message 
news:11C722CA-7CE5-4B07-9C8E-F1E65F1BF640@microsoft.com...
> Hi,
>
> I've added several strings into a combobox, but I did see only selected 
> item
> when I clicked the dropdown button. (please see below sorce code. I only 
> see
> "A-" when I clicked the droupdown button)
>
> Why i didn't see any other string such as "A+", "A", and etc?
>
> Could you please advise me?
>
> Thank you.
>
> Daum
>
>
> BOOL CGradeDlg::OnInitDialog()
> {
>   CDialog::OnInitDialog();
>
>   // TODO:  Add extra init
>    CString str = _T("A+");
>    m_Grade.AddString( str );
>
>    str = _T("A");
>    m_Grade.AddString( str );
>
>    str = _T("A-");
>    m_Grade.AddString( str );
>
>    str = _T("B+");
>    m_Grade.AddString( str );
>    m_Grade.SetCurSel(2);
>
>    m_Grade.SetTopIndex(20);
>
>     return TRUE;  // return TRUE unless you set the focus to a control
>    // EXCEPTION: OCX Property Pages should return FALSE
> } 

0
Tom
11/20/2009 3:13:41 PM
Thanks for the response.

I couldn't find "drop section" in the property window for the combo box.

Thank you.
 

"Tom Serface" wrote:

> I agree with David.  This shouldn't happen in the 2008 resource editor since 
> it already makes it big enough for a couple  of items so you see it, but in 
> the past there was no drop down until you did it yourself so the first time 
> people used the control they saw what you're seeing.
> 
> I'd bet if you scrolled using the arrow keys you'd see the items change (if 
> they are really assigned to the combo).
> 
> You may want to turn off sorting too (in the properties) if you want the 
> items to display in the order you add them.
> 
> Tom
> 
> "Daum" <Daum@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message 
> news:11C722CA-7CE5-4B07-9C8E-F1E65F1BF640@microsoft.com...
> > Hi,
> >
> > I've added several strings into a combobox, but I did see only selected 
> > item
> > when I clicked the dropdown button. (please see below sorce code. I only 
> > see
> > "A-" when I clicked the droupdown button)
> >
> > Why i didn't see any other string such as "A+", "A", and etc?
> >
> > Could you please advise me?
> >
> > Thank you.
> >
> > Daum
> >
> >
> > BOOL CGradeDlg::OnInitDialog()
> > {
> >   CDialog::OnInitDialog();
> >
> >   // TODO:  Add extra init
> >    CString str = _T("A+");
> >    m_Grade.AddString( str );
> >
> >    str = _T("A");
> >    m_Grade.AddString( str );
> >
> >    str = _T("A-");
> >    m_Grade.AddString( str );
> >
> >    str = _T("B+");
> >    m_Grade.AddString( str );
> >    m_Grade.SetCurSel(2);
> >
> >    m_Grade.SetTopIndex(20);
> >
> >     return TRUE;  // return TRUE unless you set the focus to a control
> >    // EXCEPTION: OCX Property Pages should return FALSE
> > } 
> 
> .
> 
0
Utf
11/21/2009 5:50:01 AM
It's the little arrow on the right that you would normally click on to drop 
down the combo.  If you click on it you will be able to expand the whole box 
using the resizing rectangle that will appear (I.E., just click on square in 
the middle and drag down).

Tom

"Daum" <Daum@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message 
news:177673A7-0EBB-4C7C-8957-4C4FEDBC1DB5@microsoft.com...
> Thanks for the response.
>
> I couldn't find "drop section" in the property window for the combo box.
>
> Thank you.
>
>
> "Tom Serface" wrote:
>
>> I agree with David.  This shouldn't happen in the 2008 resource editor 
>> since
>> it already makes it big enough for a couple  of items so you see it, but 
>> in
>> the past there was no drop down until you did it yourself so the first 
>> time
>> people used the control they saw what you're seeing.
>>
>> I'd bet if you scrolled using the arrow keys you'd see the items change 
>> (if
>> they are really assigned to the combo).
>>
>> You may want to turn off sorting too (in the properties) if you want the
>> items to display in the order you add them.
>>
>> Tom
>>
>> "Daum" <Daum@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> news:11C722CA-7CE5-4B07-9C8E-F1E65F1BF640@microsoft.com...
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > I've added several strings into a combobox, but I did see only selected
>> > item
>> > when I clicked the dropdown button. (please see below sorce code. I 
>> > only
>> > see
>> > "A-" when I clicked the droupdown button)
>> >
>> > Why i didn't see any other string such as "A+", "A", and etc?
>> >
>> > Could you please advise me?
>> >
>> > Thank you.
>> >
>> > Daum
>> >
>> >
>> > BOOL CGradeDlg::OnInitDialog()
>> > {
>> >   CDialog::OnInitDialog();
>> >
>> >   // TODO:  Add extra init
>> >    CString str = _T("A+");
>> >    m_Grade.AddString( str );
>> >
>> >    str = _T("A");
>> >    m_Grade.AddString( str );
>> >
>> >    str = _T("A-");
>> >    m_Grade.AddString( str );
>> >
>> >    str = _T("B+");
>> >    m_Grade.AddString( str );
>> >    m_Grade.SetCurSel(2);
>> >
>> >    m_Grade.SetTopIndex(20);
>> >
>> >     return TRUE;  // return TRUE unless you set the focus to a control
>> >    // EXCEPTION: OCX Property Pages should return FALSE
>> > }
>>
>> .
>> 

0
Tom
11/21/2009 6:41:44 AM
Hello Tom,

Thank you very very much; I follow your advice and it works.

I though that I need to input a number for the drop down hight.

Thank you.

Daum

"Tom Serface" wrote:

> It's the little arrow on the right that you would normally click on to drop 
> down the combo.  If you click on it you will be able to expand the whole box 
> using the resizing rectangle that will appear (I.E., just click on square in 
> the middle and drag down).
> 
> Tom
> 
> "Daum" <Daum@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message 
> news:177673A7-0EBB-4C7C-8957-4C4FEDBC1DB5@microsoft.com...
> > Thanks for the response.
> >
> > I couldn't find "drop section" in the property window for the combo box.
> >
> > Thank you.
> >
> >
> > "Tom Serface" wrote:
> >
> >> I agree with David.  This shouldn't happen in the 2008 resource editor 
> >> since
> >> it already makes it big enough for a couple  of items so you see it, but 
> >> in
> >> the past there was no drop down until you did it yourself so the first 
> >> time
> >> people used the control they saw what you're seeing.
> >>
> >> I'd bet if you scrolled using the arrow keys you'd see the items change 
> >> (if
> >> they are really assigned to the combo).
> >>
> >> You may want to turn off sorting too (in the properties) if you want the
> >> items to display in the order you add them.
> >>
> >> Tom
> >>
> >> "Daum" <Daum@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >> news:11C722CA-7CE5-4B07-9C8E-F1E65F1BF640@microsoft.com...
> >> > Hi,
> >> >
> >> > I've added several strings into a combobox, but I did see only selected
> >> > item
> >> > when I clicked the dropdown button. (please see below sorce code. I 
> >> > only
> >> > see
> >> > "A-" when I clicked the droupdown button)
> >> >
> >> > Why i didn't see any other string such as "A+", "A", and etc?
> >> >
> >> > Could you please advise me?
> >> >
> >> > Thank you.
> >> >
> >> > Daum
> >> >
> >> >
> >> > BOOL CGradeDlg::OnInitDialog()
> >> > {
> >> >   CDialog::OnInitDialog();
> >> >
> >> >   // TODO:  Add extra init
> >> >    CString str = _T("A+");
> >> >    m_Grade.AddString( str );
> >> >
> >> >    str = _T("A");
> >> >    m_Grade.AddString( str );
> >> >
> >> >    str = _T("A-");
> >> >    m_Grade.AddString( str );
> >> >
> >> >    str = _T("B+");
> >> >    m_Grade.AddString( str );
> >> >    m_Grade.SetCurSel(2);
> >> >
> >> >    m_Grade.SetTopIndex(20);
> >> >
> >> >     return TRUE;  // return TRUE unless you set the focus to a control
> >> >    // EXCEPTION: OCX Property Pages should return FALSE
> >> > }
> >>
> >> .
> >> 
> 
> .
> 
0
Utf
11/21/2009 8:42:01 AM
"Daum" <Daum@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message 
news:22077390-DA08-49C8-A629-ADE71A6D469C@microsoft.com...
> Hello Tom,
>
> Thank you very very much; I follow your advice and it works.
>
> I though that I need to input a number for the drop down hight.
>

That's the way more modern designers work.  But the Win32 combobox is a HWND 
which has one height.  That height is the height of the dropped down combo 
box, not the edit control.  So when you adjust the height of the dropped 
down list in the resource editor ("resource editor" is the old name for 
"designer") you are really specifying the height of the HWND in dialog 
units.  Since when MFC was designed everyone thought in terms of HWND, this 
was a natural thing to do, but it's not natural now that we have modern 
frameworks which preserve the true concepts of a combobox instead of forcing 
the implementation details onto the app programmer.

-- David
 

0
David
11/29/2009 5:00:58 PM
On Nov 29, 12:00=A0pm, "David Ching" <d...@remove-this.dcsoft.com>
wrote:
> "Daum" <D...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>
> news:22077390-DA08-49C8-A629-ADE71A6D469C@microsoft.com...
>
> > Hello Tom,
>
> > Thank you very very much; I follow your advice and it works.
>
> > I though that I need to input a number for the drop down hight.
>
> That's the way more modern designers work. =A0But the Win32 combobox is a=
 HWND
> which has one height. =A0That height is the height of the dropped down co=
mbo
> box, not the edit control. =A0So when you adjust the height of the droppe=
d
> down list in the resource editor ("resource editor" is the old name for
> "designer") you are really specifying the height of the HWND in dialog
> units. =A0Since when MFC was designed everyone thought in terms of HWND, =
this
> was a natural thing to do, but it's not natural now that we have modern
> frameworks which preserve the true concepts of a combobox instead of forc=
ing
> the implementation details onto the app programmer.

I keep forgetting the good old days when I dealt with issues such as
this and felt great that I knew why this happened.

--
Ajay

0
Ajay
12/1/2009 3:35:08 PM
"Ajay Kalra" <ajaykalra@yahoo.com> wrote in message 
news:10a117ef-cef4-403b-a8fe-761f1af7fc4d@a21g2000yqc.googlegroups.com...
> I keep forgetting the good old days when I dealt with issues such as
> this and felt great that I knew why this happened.
>

No doubt we're more productive now but I don't like the way .NET is going. 
WPF/WCF/Silverlight/Linq are plain weird.  I'm sticking with WinForms just 
because it is sane.

-- David
 

0
David
12/1/2009 11:40:11 PM
On Dec 1, 6:40=A0pm, "David Ching" <d...@remove-this.dcsoft.com> wrote:

> No doubt we're more productive now but I don't like the way .NET is going=
..
> WPF/WCF/Silverlight/Linq are plain weird. =A0I'm sticking with WinForms j=
ust
> because it is sane.

We are using WinForms but people want to go to WPF for reasons like,
its new. I dont know any more than what I was told by Microsoft in a
week's worth of training: For high frequency data display, its
performance is not going to be as good as WinForms, which is worse
than native. No comment about silverlight as I have no idea how it
fits in for us. On the other hand, Linq seems reasonable as it lets
you query your datastructures. Dont know much about WCF either.

--
Ajay

0
Ajay
12/2/2009 3:32:47 PM
I'm curious.  What do *you* mean by "weird"?  I'm asked about WPF often by my clients, who
think they may want to move some of their simple-GUI-task development to it ("because it's
new") and don't know if it is worth investing in the retraining.  And all I can say is "I
have no idea, I know very little about it".
					joe

On Tue, 1 Dec 2009 15:40:11 -0800, "David Ching" <dc@remove-this.dcsoft.com> wrote:

>"Ajay Kalra" <ajaykalra@yahoo.com> wrote in message 
>news:10a117ef-cef4-403b-a8fe-761f1af7fc4d@a21g2000yqc.googlegroups.com...
>> I keep forgetting the good old days when I dealt with issues such as
>> this and felt great that I knew why this happened.
>>
>
>No doubt we're more productive now but I don't like the way .NET is going. 
>WPF/WCF/Silverlight/Linq are plain weird.  I'm sticking with WinForms just 
>because it is sane.
>
>-- David
> 
Joseph M. Newcomer [MVP]
email: newcomer@flounder.com
Web: http://www.flounder.com
MVP Tips: http://www.flounder.com/mvp_tips.htm
0
Joseph
12/2/2009 3:56:05 PM
"Joseph M. Newcomer" <newcomer@flounder.com> wrote in message 
news:jd3dh5tgg7kt7k83of7acc8v4ttmuk26rc@4ax.com...
> I'm curious.  What do *you* mean by "weird"?  I'm asked about WPF often by 
> my clients, who
> think they may want to move some of their simple-GUI-task development to 
> it ("because it's
> new") and don't know if it is worth investing in the retraining.  And all 
> I can say is "I
> have no idea, I know very little about it".

I did a 10 month contract with WPF, I was lucky, the client paid for my 
training.  :-)  The best part of WPF is it lets you have more freedom to 
design non-gray, more than one font type of UI's.  It's as easy to use 
gradients and such as it is not to, and I dare say the UI was very 
attractive (for someone with no artistic skills) and highly usable.  Instead 
of .rc files, you specify forms using XAML.  That's OK, in fact XAML is 
highly expressive and is better than .rc files.

But also in XAML you define things like data binding, animations, etc.  This 
is where it is very confusing.  The exact XML to specify exactly what you 
want is not well documented, you just have to google for an example close 
enough to what you want and hope something turns up.  I had a really hard 
time with a tree view data bound to an internal class, and I wanted to 
specify certain data members to appear in the first level of the tree and 
other data members to appear in the second level, etc. but I think I ended 
up ditching the data binding and just populated the tree with the text I 
wanted.   It doesn't help when the API names are really long and have 
esoteric meanings either - the API is very far removed from computer science 
fundamentals (they are nowhere to be found) so I could not leverage my 
background.  This is what I meant by "weird".

The API is also immature.  For example, I wanted to scroll my view in a 
custom way when the scrollbar arrow is clicked.  But I was not getting any 
event for that.  I filed a bug on Connect and (wonder of wonders) actually 
did get some feedback that it was a bug and the workaround was very low 
level involving some XAML hack, I think.

All in all, WPF is not something an MFC programmer would fall in love with 
(at least I didn't).  That's why I'm so disappointed in .NET 3 and later. 
Instead of continuing the evolution of lovable improvements such as the 
migration of assembler -> C -> C++ -> Frameworks like MFC -> Managed 
productivity (C# and WinForms), we end up with something not lovable.

-- David 

0
David
12/2/2009 5:40:31 PM
It's new is not a great reason to change.  We're still using WinForms for 
desktop applications, but .NET is especially nice for ASP programming.

Tom

"Ajay Kalra" <ajaykalra@yahoo.com> wrote in message 
news:32f282f5-cc21-4c49-a7c0-148aee436f15@o31g2000vbi.googlegroups.com...
On Dec 1, 6:40 pm, "David Ching" <d...@remove-this.dcsoft.com> wrote:

> No doubt we're more productive now but I don't like the way .NET is going.
> WPF/WCF/Silverlight/Linq are plain weird. I'm sticking with WinForms just
> because it is sane.

We are using WinForms but people want to go to WPF for reasons like,
its new. I dont know any more than what I was told by Microsoft in a
week's worth of training: For high frequency data display, its
performance is not going to be as good as WinForms, which is worse
than native. No comment about silverlight as I have no idea how it
fits in for us. On the other hand, Linq seems reasonable as it lets
you query your datastructures. Dont know much about WCF either.

--
Ajay

0
Tom
12/2/2009 10:39:48 PM
On Wed, 2 Dec 2009 09:40:31 -0800, "David Ching" <dc@remove-this.dcsoft.com> wrote:

>"Joseph M. Newcomer" <newcomer@flounder.com> wrote in message 
>news:jd3dh5tgg7kt7k83of7acc8v4ttmuk26rc@4ax.com...
>> I'm curious.  What do *you* mean by "weird"?  I'm asked about WPF often by 
>> my clients, who
>> think they may want to move some of their simple-GUI-task development to 
>> it ("because it's
>> new") and don't know if it is worth investing in the retraining.  And all 
>> I can say is "I
>> have no idea, I know very little about it".
>
>I did a 10 month contract with WPF, I was lucky, the client paid for my 
>training.  :-)  The best part of WPF is it lets you have more freedom to 
>design non-gray, more than one font type of UI's.  
****
I've never found using multiple fonts a challenge in MFC...
****
>It's as easy to use 
>gradients and such as it is not to, and I dare say the UI was very 
>attractive (for someone with no artistic skills) and highly usable.  Instead 
>of .rc files, you specify forms using XAML.  That's OK, in fact XAML is 
>highly expressive and is better than .rc files.
>
>But also in XAML you define things like data binding, animations, etc.  This 
>is where it is very confusing.  The exact XML to specify exactly what you 
>want is not well documented, you just have to google for an example close 
>enough to what you want and hope something turns up.  
****
See, you are being totally unreasonable again!  You expect this to be *documented*, and
that violates Microsoft's new policy of product development!

(Why pay expensive people to write documentation when the end users of the product can use
google to find the answers on someone else's blog?)

The documentation is probably being written by the person who is documenting Manifest
files, so we should see it Real Soon Now.
****
>I had a really hard 
>time with a tree view data bound to an internal class, and I wanted to 
>specify certain data members to appear in the first level of the tree and 
>other data members to appear in the second level, etc. but I think I ended 
>up ditching the data binding and just populated the tree with the text I 
>wanted.   It doesn't help when the API names are really long and have 
>esoteric meanings either - the API is very far removed from computer science 
>fundamentals (they are nowhere to be found) so I could not leverage my 
>background.  This is what I meant by "weird".
****
The people who invent these names are probably not programmers.  And why call a list a
list when you can call it "an ordered container"?  (This renaming of basic concepts is not
limited to Microsoft; it seems to be the latest academic rage, and consist of either
renamings which are precise but so estoteric only a set theorist can comprehend them, or
"user-friendly" for poor naive students and therefore completely unintelligible to anyone
who studied CS longer than five years ago)
****
>
>The API is also immature.  For example, I wanted to scroll my view in a 
>custom way when the scrollbar arrow is clicked.  But I was not getting any 
>event for that.  I filed a bug on Connect and (wonder of wonders) actually 
>did get some feedback that it was a bug and the workaround was very low 
>level involving some XAML hack, I think.
****
Another philosophy, which came from VB: never expose an interface if it is useful.   It
will only confuse the poor innocent programmer, who will wonder what can be done with it,
and horror of horrors, might even USE it!  I once scrapped a VB3 program and rewrote it in
MFC in three days, because the next thing the programmer needed to do was trivial in MFC
and impossible in VB3, and my client was already three months behind schedule.  Oh, and in
another four days, I added all the database support and processing (the original
programmer had created a cool VB interface after a year of programming, but it had nothing
behind it!)
****
>
>All in all, WPF is not something an MFC programmer would fall in love with 
>(at least I didn't).  That's why I'm so disappointed in .NET 3 and later. 
>Instead of continuing the evolution of lovable improvements such as the 
>migration of assembler -> C -> C++ -> Frameworks like MFC -> Managed 
>productivity (C# and WinForms), we end up with something not lovable.
****
But cool.
			joe
****
>
>-- David 
Joseph M. Newcomer [MVP]
email: newcomer@flounder.com
Web: http://www.flounder.com
MVP Tips: http://www.flounder.com/mvp_tips.htm
0
Joseph
12/3/2009 5:27:00 PM
"Joseph M. Newcomer" <newcomer@flounder.com> wrote in message 
news:ujsfh5to2aalbquqi7gba07se0d750hreg@4ax.com...
> I've never found using multiple fonts a challenge in MFC...

It's not hard but manual and tedious, it discourages experimentation and so 
people end up with just one font or one font + bold.  When it's as easy as 
in HTML to change the font, you get much more variation.

> See, you are being totally unreasonable again!  You expect this to be 
> *documented*, and
> that violates Microsoft's new policy of product development!
>
> (Why pay expensive people to write documentation when the end users of the 
> product can use
> google to find the answers on someone else's blog?)
>
> The documentation is probably being written by the person who is 
> documenting Manifest
> files, so we should see it Real Soon Now.
> ****
> ****
> The people who invent these names are probably not programmers.  And why 
> call a list a
> list when you can call it "an ordered container"?  (This renaming of basic 
> concepts is not
> limited to Microsoft; it seems to be the latest academic rage, and consist 
> of either
> renamings which are precise but so estoteric only a set theorist can 
> comprehend them, or
> "user-friendly" for poor naive students and therefore completely 
> unintelligible to anyone
> who studied CS longer than five years ago)
> ****
>>
>>The API is also immature.  For example, I wanted to scroll my view in a
>>custom way when the scrollbar arrow is clicked.  But I was not getting any
>>event for that.  I filed a bug on Connect and (wonder of wonders) actually
>>did get some feedback that it was a bug and the workaround was very low
>>level involving some XAML hack, I think.
> ****
> Another philosophy, which came from VB: never expose an interface if it is 
> useful.   It
> will only confuse the poor innocent programmer, who will wonder what can 
> be done with it,
> and horror of horrors, might even USE it!  I once scrapped a VB3 program 
> and rewrote it in
> MFC in three days, because the next thing the programmer needed to do was 
> trivial in MFC
> and impossible in VB3, and my client was already three months behind 
> schedule.  Oh, and in
> another four days, I added all the database support and processing (the 
> original
> programmer had created a cool VB interface after a year of programming, 
> but it had nothing
> behind it!)
> ****
> But cool.

Yup, I don't think the .NET 3+ people care what people over 40 think.  The 
C++ people giving us C++0x incorporating Boost don't care what people 
writing shipping products think.  Since I am over 40 and ship products for a 
living, I embraced Qt which actually gives a damn.  Also I embraced Visual 
WebGui which gives a WinForms experience to developing web apps (making it 
easy to port VB6 apps to the web.)  Funny how there is a market reinventing 
the familiar!

-- David
 

0
David
12/3/2009 5:46:03 PM
Joe,

Your bias is showing :o)

Tom

"Joseph M. Newcomer" <newcomer@flounder.com> wrote in message 
news:ujsfh5to2aalbquqi7gba07se0d750hreg@4ax.com...
> On Wed, 2 Dec 2009 09:40:31 -0800, "David Ching" 
> <dc@remove-this.dcsoft.com> wrote:
>
>>"Joseph M. Newcomer" <newcomer@flounder.com> wrote in message

> ****
> I've never found using multiple fonts a challenge in MFC...
> ****
>>It's as easy to use
>>gradients and such as it is not to, and I dare say the UI was very
>>attractive (for someone with no artistic skills) and highly usable. 
>>Instead
>>of .rc files, you specify forms using XAML.  That's OK, in fact XAML is
>>highly expressive and is better than .rc files.
>>
>>But also in XAML you define things like data binding, animations, etc. 
>>This
>>is where it is very confusing.  The exact XML to specify exactly what you
>>want is not well documented, you just have to google for an example close
>>enough to what you want and hope something turns up.
> ****
> See, you are being totally unreasonable again!  You expect this to be 
> *documented*, and
> that violates Microsoft's new policy of product development!
>
> (Why pay expensive people to write documentation when the end users of the 
> product can use
> google to find the answers on someone else's blog?)
>
> The documentation is probably being written by the person who is 
> documenting Manifest
> files, so we should see it Real Soon Now.
> ****
>>I had a really hard
>>time with a tree view data bound to an internal class, and I wanted to
>>specify certain data members to appear in the first level of the tree and
>>other data members to appear in the second level, etc. but I think I ended
>>up ditching the data binding and just populated the tree with the text I
>>wanted.   It doesn't help when the API names are really long and have
>>esoteric meanings either - the API is very far removed from computer 
>>science
>>fundamentals (they are nowhere to be found) so I could not leverage my
>>background.  This is what I meant by "weird".
> ****
> The people who invent these names are probably not programmers.  And why 
> call a list a
> list when you can call it "an ordered container"?  (This renaming of basic 
> concepts is not
> limited to Microsoft; it seems to be the latest academic rage, and consist 
> of either
> renamings which are precise but so estoteric only a set theorist can 
> comprehend them, or
> "user-friendly" for poor naive students and therefore completely 
> unintelligible to anyone
> who studied CS longer than five years ago)
> ****
>>
>>The API is also immature.  For example, I wanted to scroll my view in a
>>custom way when the scrollbar arrow is clicked.  But I was not getting any
>>event for that.  I filed a bug on Connect and (wonder of wonders) actually
>>did get some feedback that it was a bug and the workaround was very low
>>level involving some XAML hack, I think.
> ****
> Another philosophy, which came from VB: never expose an interface if it is 
> useful.   It
> will only confuse the poor innocent programmer, who will wonder what can 
> be done with it,
> and horror of horrors, might even USE it!  I once scrapped a VB3 program 
> and rewrote it in
> MFC in three days, because the next thing the programmer needed to do was 
> trivial in MFC
> and impossible in VB3, and my client was already three months behind 
> schedule.  Oh, and in
> another four days, I added all the database support and processing (the 
> original
> programmer had created a cool VB interface after a year of programming, 
> but it had nothing
> behind it!)
> ****
>>
>>All in all, WPF is not something an MFC programmer would fall in love with
>>(at least I didn't).  That's why I'm so disappointed in .NET 3 and later.
>>Instead of continuing the evolution of lovable improvements such as the
>>migration of assembler -> C -> C++ -> Frameworks like MFC -> Managed
>>productivity (C# and WinForms), we end up with something not lovable.
> ****
> But cool.
> joe
> ****
>>
>>-- David
> Joseph M. Newcomer [MVP]
> email: newcomer@flounder.com
> Web: http://www.flounder.com
> MVP Tips: http://www.flounder.com/mvp_tips.htm 

0
Tom
12/3/2009 8:12:39 PM
Reply:

Similar Artilces:

CCombobox and strings
I want to retrieve a string from a combo box. How do I do that? CComboBox::GetLBText will get the text for a string at a certain index of the list box portion of the combo box. -------------------- >From: "William Gower" <w_gower@hotmail.com> >Subject: CCombobox and strings >Date: Thu, 9 Oct 2003 21:17:29 -0400 >Lines: 3 >X-Priority: 3 >X-MSMail-Priority: Normal >X-Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2800.1158 >X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V6.00.2800.1165 >Message-ID: <#odjHxsjDHA.3312@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl> >Newsgroup...

display of 'from' (not 'to') for drafts
I am using Windows Live Mail (version 14) with 2 e-mail services - Gmail and a corporate service. For the corporate service, WLM displays (for items in the corresponding "Drafts" folder) a column called "To" and information about to whom I might send the e-mails. With Gmail, WLM displays (for items in the appropriate "Drafts" folder) a column called "From" and my name as the information for each e-mail. I would like the WLM Gmail "Drafts" folder to display a "To" column and appropriate information (just as happens for t...

=?iso-8859-1?q?Recherche__bouquin_vba_pour_d=E9butant?=
Bonjour, je recherche un bouquin en francais sur le visual basic excel afin d'apprendre les fonctions personnalis=E9es. Pouvez vous m'aider ? merci This newsgroup is for English postings. microsoft.public.fr.excel is for French. Patrick Schmid -------------- http://pschmid.net "testtest" <vaylkc@trashmail.net> wrote in message news:1149438832.394478.98320@h76g2000cwa.googlegroups.com: > Bonjour, > > je recherche un bouquin en francais sur le visual basic excel afin > d'apprendre les fonctions personnalis�es. > > Pouvez vous m'aider ? &...

Used 3 license keys but one of the computers got damaged and I can't deauthorize it
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel I have purchased the Student Edition of Office 2008, and installed all the licenses on 3 computers. Unfortunately water got spilled on my laptop, and it wasn't possible to salvage it. I purchased a new laptop, but I can't use the product key, as I have used it before, and I also can't deauthorize the computer, as I don't have it anymore. How do I proceed? Call Microsoft. Numbers published on their web site. --rms www.rmschneider.com Annette_Neumann@officeformac.com wrote: > Version: 2008 ...

RMS 2.0 Item Price changing to 0.00 when invoicing after installing SP1
I just upgraded my shop to SP1 and now some Workorders are having the item price changing to $0.00 after you start tendering the order. If you cancel out of the tender and change the price, give an override reason code and then tender again it works OK. This is not happening for all Workorders. Has anyone seen this? Any suggestions? Thanks, TomT I have this problem also since installing SP1. This also happens if the WO is changed by adding a line item or changing the shipping address. Also, the line item prices of any RTD items have changed showing that they were priced at a d...

Link to a table and display on a grid
I created a form and link to a table. How do I link the table records to a grid for display, add, delete and modify? "Alan T" <alanpltseNOSPAM@yahoo.com.au> wrote in message news:uD%23s44tlHHA.4852@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl... >I created a form and link to a table. > How do I link the table records to a grid for display, add, delete and > modify? > You can set the form to Datasheet view, which looks a lot like a spreadsheet. Carl Rapson Can I decorate the datasheet view? I see it is quite plain with the datasheet occupies the whole form. "Carl Rapson&q...

Error when recalling an item from on hold
The quantity discount of an item is disabled when recalled from on hold transaction in POS after modifying the transaction. The discount is properly applied before the "Ctrl+F12: Hold". Our client is RMS1.3.1009 environment. Alfonso, I'm running RMS 2.0 sp1 and is able to apply a discount before the hold and still have the discount after the hold is recalled. I would try to talk them into upgrading. Daniel techs1@nurol.com NuRol Point of Sale www.nurol.com 404-352-3587 "alfonso" wrote: > The quantity discount of an item is disabled when recalled from on ...

Copy empty cells from one workbook to another
Hello, Sorry for posting 2 times. Date & time in my computer were not correctly set. In addition to what I've written before, here is the code I wrote: Sub Dataacquire() Workbooks.Open "data.xls" Worksheets("sheet1").Range("b1:d19").Copy _ ThisWorkbook.Worksheets("sheet1").Range("b1:d19") ActiveWorkbook.Close SaveChanges:=False End Sub My problem that empty cells are not copied as empty and because of this I get an error messages in other worksheets (like #VALUE). How Can I solve this problem ? Thank you David Cohen ...

How do I display both the Company and Contact bolded in Outlook
In my previous operating system, my Outlook contact files showed both the Company and the Contact Name in bold type in the shaded area at the top of each contact file. In XP, I can get either the Company or the Contact in the shaded area but not both. What am I missing? Try changing the file as field to one of the options that includes both. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours Coauthor, OneNote 2003 for Windows (Visual QuickStart Guide) Author, Google and Other Search Engines (Visual QuickStart Guide) Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips....

Getting item ID in ON_LBN_SELCHANGE
I would like to set the same member function to process multiple list boxes. How do I find out what the item ID is for the list box that I'm handling an selection changed message for? Chris Griffin wrote: > I would like to set the same member function to process multiple list boxes. > How do I find out what the item ID is for the list box that I'm handling an > selection changed message for? > Use ON_CONTROL_RANGE in the message map. It passes the ID to the message handler. You have to type it in to the message map by hand. Make the handler function prototype l...

How to use a set of values from one worksheet to another?
Hello Guys: OK, here we go again :(. Say I have a worksheet & want to export a group of values as I add the on a worksheet to another worksheet, how would I go about it? THANKS for any input -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Hi just link the cell with a formula like ='sheet1'!A1 on your second sheet -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany > Hello Guys: > > OK, here we go again :(. > > Say I have a worksheet & want to export a group of values as I add > them on a worksheet to another worksheet, how would I go about it? > > ...

IMAP messages mysteriously disappear when marking one as read in Unread folder
Hi there I am using Outlook 2007 with imap email (one account) on a windows xp machine. I have a really strange problem which happens intermittently and which goes like this: I have an 'Unread' folder for my IMAP inbox. If I select an unread message, right-click and select 'Mark as Read' most of the unread messages disappear from the folder, or sometimes almost all of them - last time the only message left in the folder was the unread one. Then, if I return to my regular Inbox many of the messages have disappeared, especially the most recent ones. I cannot get them back ot...

Q: When 0 <> 0 ?
A: When you add it in excel! Example: Place the following values in a column and sum them. -116.33 98.53 17.80 0 ============= Excel returns: 0.0000000000000035527136788005 Correct Answer: 0 If you remove 0 from the list ( or put it in a different place in the list, the proper result, 0 is returned. I assume this has to do with the known floating point issues, but I've never seen an example where 0<>0, so I thought I'd share. I have a workaround, but would love to see comments... Yup. This is an FAQ, and an issue with all applications using IEEE Double Precision Floating...

How to display date of last edit of the database on a report
Is there a way to display the date of the last edit of the database on a report? Thanks in advance for your help. -- Nona What do you mean by "last edit of the database"? Do you mean the last time a value in a field in any table was changed? Do you mean the last time any structural change was made to forms, reports, vba modules,or data structure? In either case there is nothing stored that will tell you, unless you store the information in some manner. It can be done, but the utility of doing so (in most cases) is far less valuable than the effort to do so. ...

Serialised Item History
Good Afternoon I have been searching around for a particular enquiry/report in Great Plains relating to serialised items. What I would like to to see the history of a particular serialised item relating to what PO it was recieved on, and what Sales Order / Invoice it was sold on. Is there such a standard report / enquiry available to view by selected serial number? Thanks for any help Pete I think given that you want POP and SOP tables you would have to use Crystal reports to get the information that you wanted. Linking the tables on the serial number, may result in the information t...

Event for pick list/validation item being chosen??
Hi, I understand there is a "Worksheet_Change()" event that kicks i once a cell's value has been changed. I have a cell where to there is pick list to pick a value, but once this is done the Change() even doesn't kick in. Nor, does the calculate event. (I can't get th calculate event to work for anything, but thats besides the point Anyway, does anyone know how to access this. Essentially, i'd like t update all the other cells that reference this pick list cell when th pick list cell has been modified. The way I was going to do it was us the event, and basically do...

One contract for multiple accounts
Hi all ! I have a customer who have several sub locations. I habe created one account for the main company address and one sub-account for each branch. I had several contracts for my customer and I want these contracts to be available for all branches. When I create an incident for a branch, I cannot select any of the parent's contrat... How can I make this possible ? Thanks ! Anybody?? I could also really use an answer to this! Cheers "steff" wrote: > Hi all ! > > I have a customer who have several sub locations. > > I habe created one account for t...

Currency and Numbers display
Under the currency category of Format Cells, some machines only display four choices for negative numbers, while others display five. There is no choice for red negative with a leading minus sign. I've gone through to check if it's a version related issue, but can't seem to replicate the situation. We have Office 2K on W2K SP4. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks ...

Two Tables in One Form
Hi, I have two tables. One is controled on a form, the other is just a table. I'd like to be able to copy whatever is in 'AMOUNT' on the form to the AMOUNT field in the other table. The form has unique values on it, ie. CODE1 AMOUNT CODE2 AMOUNT I need to keep both tables, but just basically put the value for amount in one table into the other using the CODE part as unique criteria. Hope it's not too confusing. Thanks If your first table already has Code1 and Amount1, why do you think you need to put Amount1 into table2? You might need to do that if you were working ...

Ok Stupid Q time...
In the Property settings what is the difference between Enabled and Locked??? Ive tried to find out but cant see anything anywhere, not even in access help. Surely if its not enabled it would be locked anyway? Or if enabled means you dont see it then that would be Visible no? Its been bugging me so thought id finally try to see if someone knows? Thanks -- Message posted via AccessMonster.com http://www.accessmonster.com/Uwe/Forums.aspx/access-forms/200704/1 Well, Enabled means the control can receive the focus. Locked means the control can receive the focus.but, you can't change ...

Move users from one AD to another
I have about 600 users in one AD domain and I would like to move them to another domain in a separate forest. I have them all in one Exchange 2003 server currently but I'm removing that domain completely. Is it possible to move all the users in the OU to another Exchange 2003 server or do I have to reenter each user? I'm not concerned with the mailbox store, I just want to move the users. TIA Bobby bjanow@nospam.msn.com Look at Active Directory migration tool (ADMT 2.0). Another possibility is exporting all users to a flat file and importing to the new location using LDIFDE...

Barra de Publicidade que =?ISO-8859-1?Q?d=E1?= dinheiritos !!! #7
Se queres ganhar uns Euritos s� tens de instalar esta barra de publicidade, que podes at� minimizar ou fechar em caso de utilizar programas de ecr� completo. N�o incomoda nada, nem consome recursos. Apenas d� dinheiro, �ptima para quando deixas o comptdor a sacar a noite toda... Recebes o dinheiro na tua conta PayPal. http://www.eurobarre.com/index_fr.php?p=373093897695 100% seguro by CrashOverride If you want to earn money just by sitting in front of your PC, just install this Bar that shows some publicity now and then. 100% safe, no malicious ware. http://www.eurobarre.com...

Compare values in one column against another and display differenc
How can I compare a master part numbers list in one Excel column or worksheet against actual values in a second Excel column or worksheet, and display the missing part numbers that were not in the second column in a new column or worksheet? For Example Part Number Master Part List Missing Parts 12A221315 12A221315 12A221332 12A221316 12A221316 12A221333 12A221317 12A221317 12A221318 12A221318 12A221319 12A221319 12A221320 12A221320 12A221321 12A221321 12A221322 12A221322 12A221323 12A221323 12A221324 12A221324 12A221325 12A221325 12A221326 12A221326 12A221327 12A221327 12A22132...

ActiveExplorer.Selection exception / working with currently selecded items
Hello everyone: I am trying to create an Outlook Add-in that will pick all selected contact items in a currently visible folder and will create a broadcast fax message using information saved with each contact item. I was originally trying to perform this using VBA macro. It crashed and I tried to make an add-in (for better stability) that currently gives me the same error message. When I do colSelectedItems = oApplication.ActiveExplorer.Selection, Outlook starts to pull each selected contact's data into Selection collection. It does it for about 30sec (memory used by application ...

searchfolder misses items
I use outlook 2003 on a windows xp sr2 system. I use searchfolders quite a lot but it seems like some items are missing from the searchfolder, although they do exist in the sent items folder. I have a search folder for mails that are sent to and from a group of people. Sometimes these people have more than one e-mail address, and I put all addresses in the criteria for finding that peron. It happened that one of my contacts apparently added her name to the reply to address. Instead of mail from jdoe@domain.com, I now get mail from Jane Doe. If I look at the properties the actual e-mail a...