Put numbered items in registry ?

Hi,

I have a combo box with text items and I would like to maintain a list of
strings, like internet explorer's history/auto-complete feature. The auto
complete is nice, but not necessary. It's primarily about the history.

I can save these strings in comma separated format into the registry, which
allows for 64k per key I heard.
However, it seems more common that applications such as internet explorer,
maintain an MRU list in the following format:

key        value
default    "history"
a            "String 1"
b            "String 2"
MRU     "ab"

Whatever or however it is stored, I wonder if there is a ready made class
that can help store such info. The trick is of course that when an item is
deleted, fragmentation of index is circumvented.

Like I said, I could also store it as:
Histrory    "String 1", "String 2"

Which would create very long keys. There must be a reason why that isn't how
most applications store the MRU list.

Lisa

0
no6060 (315)
1/21/2004 2:03:28 PM
vc.mfc 33608 articles. 0 followers. Follow

In article <#zipRdC4DHA.2380@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl>, "Lisa Pearlson" <no@spam.plz> wrote:
>I have a combo box with text items and I would like to maintain a list of
>strings, like internet explorer's history/auto-complete feature. The auto
>complete is nice, but not necessary. It's primarily about the history.

>I can save these strings in comma separated format into the registry, which
>allows for 64k per key I heard.
>However, it seems more common that applications such as internet explorer,
>maintain an MRU list in the following format:

Check out CWinApp::LoadStdProfileSettings() and and
CWinApp::AddToRecentFileList(). They are not the exactly same thing as
that "acdgizxf..." type of MRU list, but functionally equivalent.

Those two functions deal with whatever you set as your registry key in
CWinApp::m_pszRegistryKey (by way of CWinApp::SetRegistryKey()) for use
with CWinApp::GetProfileString() and CWinApp::WriteProfileString(). If
you set m_pszRegistryKey to "My New Programme", then
AddToRecentFileList() uses the key HKEY_LOCAL_SOFTWARE\Software\My New
Programme\Recent File List". The value "File1" is the most recently
addition made with AddToRecentFileList(), the value "File2" is one added
just before that, and so on, up to the maximum number specified with
LoadStdProfileSettings().

You can get around that easily, however. You could do something like
this:

void CMyNewProgramme::AddToListBoxMRU(TCHAR *lpszData)
{
        TCHAR *ptch;

        // store the original registry location for this app
        ptch = _tcsdup(m_pszRegistryKey);
        // set the new location
        SetRegistryKey(_T("My New Programme\\List Box #1 MRU List"));
        // initialize the MRU list
        LoadStdProfileSettings(8);
        // add the new data to the list
        AddToRecentFileList(lpszData);
        // restore the old registry location - a must do!
        SetRegistryKey(ptch);
}

That little bit will store the MRU list for a list box in
a registry key called "HKEY_LOCAL_SOFTWARE\Software\My New
Programme\List Box #1 MRU List\Recent File List" and will save the 8
most recent items.

You could make it a little more sophisticated by adding a second
parameter with a name and a third to say how big the MRU list should be.
That way you could have any number of MRU lists, each with a different
maximum size.

--
Cory Albrecht
http://www.sentex.net/~corya/
>Whatever or however it is stored, I wonder if there is a ready made class
>that can help store such info.

Lisa,

As far as I'm aware, there's nothing general purpose like that in the
OS or supplied with MFC - but maybe someone else has already created
such a class. Have you tried sites like CodeProject & CodeGuru?

Dave
--
MVP VC++ FAQ: http://www.mvps.org/vcfaq
0

If you are going to have a lot of these combo boxes / lists, I would
recommend using a database. MS Access db's are ideal for this. There are
alternatives to MS Access. If this were the case, then using the registry
when there are potentially "a lot" of entries is not being a good windows
citizen since it is a shared system resource. In .Net there is the trend to
isolate the resources needed by an application to that applications folder
and this is a reflection.

- Tim

"Lisa Pearlson" <no@spam.plz> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I have a combo box with text items and I would like to maintain a list of
> strings, like internet explorer's history/auto-complete feature. The auto
> complete is nice, but not necessary. It's primarily about the history.
>
> I can save these strings in comma separated format into the registry,
which
> allows for 64k per key I heard.
> However, it seems more common that applications such as internet explorer,
> maintain an MRU list in the following format:
>
> key        value
> default    "history"
> a            "String 1"
> b            "String 2"
> MRU     "ab"
>
> Whatever or however it is stored, I wonder if there is a ready made class
> that can help store such info. The trick is of course that when an item is
> deleted, fragmentation of index is circumvented.
>
> Like I said, I could also store it as:
> Histrory    "String 1", "String 2"
>
> Which would create very long keys. There must be a reason why that isn't
how
> most applications store the MRU list.
>
> Lisa

0
Tim
1/21/2004 9:22:08 PM
If I had alot of them, I'd probably create a directory within my application
directory that stores this info per combo box, under it's ID name or
something, either in binary, .ini or .xml format.
A database is of course optimized for speed and large amounts of data. This
is great, but using access DB, requires that office with Access is
pre-installed. If we can justify assuming people have this installed, we can
not doubt MS has a monopoly ;-)
I think it's great apps can share and communicate with eachother, but as
long as this is optional and flexible.
I prefer applications that still function standalone.

That too was merely a reflection. I really appreciate your reply and welcome
your ideas.

Lisa

"Tim" <Tim@NoSpam> wrote in message
> Lisa,
>
> If you are going to have a lot of these combo boxes / lists, I would
> recommend using a database. MS Access db's are ideal for this. There are
> alternatives to MS Access. If this were the case, then using the registry
> when there are potentially "a lot" of entries is not being a good windows
> citizen since it is a shared system resource. In .Net there is the trend
> isolate the resources needed by an application to that applications folder
> and this is a reflection.
>
> - Tim
>
> "Lisa Pearlson" <no@spam.plz> wrote in message
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have a combo box with text items and I would like to maintain a list
of
> > strings, like internet explorer's history/auto-complete feature. The
auto
> > complete is nice, but not necessary. It's primarily about the history.
> >
> > I can save these strings in comma separated format into the registry,
> which
> > allows for 64k per key I heard.
> > However, it seems more common that applications such as internet
explorer,
> > maintain an MRU list in the following format:
> >
> > key        value
> > default    "history"
> > a            "String 1"
> > b            "String 2"
> > MRU     "ab"
> >
> > Whatever or however it is stored, I wonder if there is a ready made
class
> > that can help store such info. The trick is of course that when an item
is
> > deleted, fragmentation of index is circumvented.
> >
> > Like I said, I could also store it as:
> > Histrory    "String 1", "String 2"
> >
> > Which would create very long keys. There must be a reason why that isn't
> how
> > most applications store the MRU list.
> >
> > Lisa

0
no6060 (315)
1/23/2004 4:15:26 AM
XML is fine sometimes - but XML != database.
Databases are for any amount of data - small or large.
For MS Access you do not need MS Office.
You do not need to use MS Access.
If you have structured data, store it in a structured repository designed
for the purpose IE a database.

> [...]
> > which
> > > allows for 64k per key I heard.
> > > However, it seems more common that applications such as internet
> explorer,
> > > maintain an MRU list in the following format:
> > >
> > > key        value
> > > default    "history"
> > > a            "String 1"
> > > b            "String 2"
> > > MRU     "ab"
> > >
> > > Whatever or however it is stored, I wonder if there is a ready made
> class
> > > that can help store such info. The trick is of course that when an
item
> is
> > > deleted, fragmentation of index is circumvented.
> > >
> > > Like I said, I could also store it as:
> > > Histrory    "String 1", "String 2"
> > >
> > > Which would create very long keys. There must be a reason why that

0
Tim
1/23/2004 4:50:00 AM
You mean you can store data in an MS access database, without MS Acess
installed on that PC?
How?

> XML is fine sometimes - but XML != database.
> Databases are for any amount of data - small or large.
> For MS Access you do not need MS Office.
> You do not need to use MS Access.
> If you have structured data, store it in a structured repository designed
> for the purpose IE a database.
>
> - Tim
>

> "Lisa Pearlson" <no@spam.plz> wrote in message
> > If I had alot of them, I'd probably create a directory within my
> application
> > directory that stores this info per combo box, under it's ID name or
> > something, either in binary, .ini or .xml format.
> > A database is of course optimized for speed and large amounts of data.
> This
> > is great, but using access DB, requires that office with Access is
> > pre-installed. If we can justify assuming people have this installed, we
> can
> > not doubt MS has a monopoly ;-)
> > I think it's great apps can share and communicate with eachother, but as
> > long as this is optional and flexible.
> > I prefer applications that still function standalone.
> >
> > That too was merely a reflection. I really appreciate your reply and
> welcome
> > your ideas.
> >
> > Lisa
> >

> > "Tim" <Tim@NoSpam> wrote in message
> > > Lisa,
> > >
> > > If you are going to have a lot of these combo boxes / lists, I would
> > > recommend using a database. MS Access db's are ideal for this. There
are
> > > alternatives to MS Access. If this were the case, then using the
> registry
> > > when there are potentially "a lot" of entries is not being a good
> windows
> > > citizen since it is a shared system resource. In .Net there is the
trend
> > > isolate the resources needed by an application to that applications
> folder
> > > and this is a reflection.
> > >
> > > - Tim
> > >
> > > "Lisa Pearlson" <no@spam.plz> wrote in message

> > of
> > auto

> > > which
> > explorer,

> > class
> item
> > is

> isn't
> > > how

0
no6060 (315)
1/24/2004 7:22:18 PM
All that is required to use an Access database is an interface that allows
you to create and manipulate the database such as ADO/ADOX, DAO, ODBC etc...
Most of which ship with the OS, those that don't are re-distributable
components.

--
Frank

> You mean you can store data in an MS access database, without MS Acess
> installed on that PC?
> How?
>
> "Tim" <Tim@NoSpam> wrote in message
> > XML is fine sometimes - but XML != database.
> > Databases are for any amount of data - small or large.
> > For MS Access you do not need MS Office.
> > You do not need to use MS Access.
> > If you have structured data, store it in a structured repository
designed
> > for the purpose IE a database.
> >
> > - Tim
> >

> > "Lisa Pearlson" <no@spam.plz> wrote in message
> > > If I had alot of them, I'd probably create a directory within my
> > application
> > > directory that stores this info per combo box, under it's ID name or
> > > something, either in binary, .ini or .xml format.
> > > A database is of course optimized for speed and large amounts of data.
> > This
> > > is great, but using access DB, requires that office with Access is
> > > pre-installed. If we can justify assuming people have this installed,
we
> > can
> > > not doubt MS has a monopoly ;-)
> > > I think it's great apps can share and communicate with eachother, but
as
> > > long as this is optional and flexible.
> > > I prefer applications that still function standalone.
> > >
> > > That too was merely a reflection. I really appreciate your reply and
> > welcome
> > > your ideas.
> > >
> > > Lisa
> > >

> > > "Tim" <Tim@NoSpam> wrote in message

> are
> > registry
> > windows
> trend
> > folder

> list
> > > of
The
> > > auto
> history.

> registry,
> > > explorer,

> > > class
> > item
> > > is

> > isn't

Creating a chart with text not numbers
How do I create a chart that has text values (freshman, sophomore, junior, senior) instead of numbers (1, 2, 3, 4)? I have a column labeled "What is your class standing?" and below it is 166 rows where people selected "Freshman," "Sophomore," etc. I want to create a bar chart that counts how many people selected each of the four classes. Thanks, Alan First of all, you will have numbers to plot. The words are your category labels. Read how to turn a column of words like this into a histogram: http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/Histograms.html - Jon...

Formatting number in Data Table
I am using Excel 2007. I have a spreadsheet that the figures can be negative or positve. I have formatted the cells with this custom format $#,##0;[Red]$-#,##0. On the spreadsheet the format works fine. I created a chart from the data. I have a data table at the bottom of the chart. The problem is that the format from the spreadsheet is not reflected in the data table. When I click on Format Data Table, there is no option for number formatting. There is a number formatting option available when i click Format Axis, but this doesn't change it, because the actual axis is Text. Is th...

Count of Unique Items?
Hi, I have a worksheet (Sheet1) where column A consists of dates (in date order). I need to look at this column from another sheet (Sheet2) in the same workbook and return the number of unique dates in this column. For example, on Sheet1 cell A1 has the heading Date, A2 is 10/01/04, A3 is 10/01/04, A4 is 10/01/04 and A5 is 10/05/04. From cell A1 on Sheet2 I need to look at the range A2:A5 on Sheet1 and return the number 2 (the number of unique dates in the range). Any help would be greatly appreciated. Monte Sliger Try the following... =SUM(IF(Sheet1!A2:A5<>"",1/COUN...

SQL to update Item.LastCounted based on PhysicalInventory.CloseTime
Because of a bug/deficiency/oversight in a third party inventory counting application , I did a bunch of physical inventories that did not update the Item.LastCounted field. I need this field updated so I can see the correct date each item was counted last. I am willing to do a seperate SQL statement for each physical inventory sheet for which I have the problem. For example, I want to take each item in the PhysicalInventoryEntry table with PhysicalInventory.Code = '0000057' (or whatever the code is) and set Item.LastCounted = PhysicalInventory.CloseTime. I am not great at SQ...

Exmerge lost my calendar items
When I export from Recovery Storage Group, all of my calendar items are gone. If I merge or copy back to original store, they are there. Anyone have any ideas as to why they disappear during an export to .pst? Thanks for your help, Jeff. ...

Find the number of years between two dates
I have aroster of players with thier date of births. I would like to automatically add their ages in another column Try this Formula, assuming that the dob is in cell A1 =DATEDIF(A1,NOW(),"y") & " years, " & DATEDIF(A1,NOW(),"ym") & " months, " & DATEDIF(A1,NOW(),"md") & " days" regards Mukesh "duke" wrote: > I have aroster of players with thier date of births. I would like to > automatically add their ages in another column On Fri, 9 Sep 2005 19:47:02 -0700, "duke" <duke@disc...

Inactive Items 12-17-09
I ran the Inventory Wizard 2 days ago and used the 210 worksheet to make some 4,000 items inactive. I selected "Enter items manually" and imported them from a .csv file. The file had 4 columns: The item number, description, department and the 4th column had the work "Inactive." The process worked properly in HQ but did not propogate to the stores. I am running version 2, sp2. Did you create a worksheet to send this to the stores? Afshin Alikhani - afshin@rrdisti.com Retail Realm Distribution = = = = = = = = "Rick@ASP" <RickASP@discussion...

List of items with commissions
Is there a report that will list items that have a commission set on them? I want to be able to email our sales reps a list, but haven't found a good way to do it. The report I'd like, but don't know how to create would have department, category, item, price, and commission amount. Thanks for any help, -CP Hi there, Retail Analytics from Professional Advantage will enable you to create that report. Basically anything that is captured in RMS can be reported on in Retail Analytics. If you would like to take a look at the product, a quick movie is available at http://www.p...

Junk E-mail folder
Is it possible to configure the Junk E-mail folder to automatically and permanently delete items older than 30 days? Thanks. You can use the AutoArchiving to do that. Right click on the folder, choose Properties and go to the AutoArchive tab "Jaycee" <jaycee131973@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:%232IGo%238NGHA.2300@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl... > Is it possible to configure the Junk E-mail folder to automatically and > permanently delete items older than 30 days? ...

page numbers in Word 2007
Hello, I have a Microsoft Word 2007 document which has a title and table of contents on the first page and the various chapters on the following pages. I have used an automatic TOC and then clicked on the Insert tab and then Page Number -> Bottom of Page to insert page numbers. My problem is that I don't want the first page to be numbered so that the second page starts with the number 1. I have tried clicking Page Number -> Format Page Numbers... to set the first page number at zero but then when I delete the zero all page numbers are deleted by Word 2007 just as th...

Inventory Reconcile ... Include Item History
Can anyone tell me ... if you do NOT mark 'Include Item History' in the Reconcile Inventory Quantities window (Inventory Reconcile), exactly what does the utility NOT do? Window help is useless ... it says "Mark to have item history records reconciled, also." Our VAR was not clear in their answer. They said to do it only if you change a unit of measure or change quantity decimals. Based on the verbaige you would think not marking it means it would not re-calculate summary on-hand quantities. 'History' in the inventory module means anything posted, r...

Changed Server Numbers when Travel
I just had my outlook 2003AOL server numbers changed for no reason while travelling. Switched them back for my pop account and the would work, when shut down and then restart they would change from the correct to another set of numbers. Is there a way to stop these server numbers from changing while I travel. Thanks. What is a 'server number'? The IP address? -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Need Help with Common Tasks? http://www.outlook-tips.net/beginner/ Outlook 2007: http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/ol2007/ Outlook Tips by email: dailytips-subscribe-request@lists.outl...

Converting string to number
hi, I have a set of data that is to be cut and pasted from an external source. A typical cell reads '32813.58 sq mm', without the speech marks. The cell could be formatted before the pasting; but how do I strip off the units to leave the number only? The number could be any size. thanks =LEFT(A1, LEN(A1)-5) Will return your data as required as long as the text to be stripped is constant -- Russell Dawson Excel Student Please hit "Yes" if this post was helpful. "kenppy" wrote: > hi, > > I have a set of data that is to be...

Editing phone numbers?
(Win XP, Outlook 2003) - I'm all of a sudden starting to have a problem when I add or change a phone number in a contact. I'm connected via LAN, not dialup, and no settings have changed. Yet when I put in a phone number I get the Location Information dialog box (this box: http://www.babcockancestry.com/storage/outlookproblemlocationinfo.jpg). I can NOT get out of it in any way except using the task manager to End Task, which of course does not save the contact. If I try to cancel in the dialog, it just keeps coming back. Any changes except phone numbers work fine. It's only when I...

Print Item Number Ole object on Sales Order Processing reports
Would like the ability to print an Item Number Ole object on my SOP reports. For example, go to Transactions, Sales, Sales Transaction Entry. In the Sales Transaction Entry window, enter an Order for an Item. Click the Item Number Note button. Once you are in the Note window, click the paperclip button to add an Ole Object. In the OLE Container window, click Edit, and then click Insert New Object. In the next widow click Create from File. This is where you will attach an existing object (such as an image or text file). Close the window and save your changes. Click Attach to atta...

Deleting corrupted items from In Box
Is there any way to delete a corrupted message from the In Box -(message cannot be opened, deleted or moved - trying perform any of these operations causes Outlook to hang)- other than running AutoArchive? ...

Formatting Phone Numbers in a Merged Cells...
If I want to merge a "Company Name", "Phone Number" and a "Fax" number into 1 cell (for use in a drop down box), is there a way to maintain the 10 digit format for the phone/fax numbers? The phone/fax #'s appear as a string of 10 digits when they are merged, and are hard to read. Currently using a formula like this: =A3&" Phone: "&B3&" Fax: "&C3 I am tired of trying to get it to work, and can't seem to find the answer here. Thank you in advance! One way: =A3 & TEXT(B3,""" Phone:...

Cell Number Format
Hi, when i type for example this any number with more than 15 digits, the first 15 digits appear like i wrote it but the rest of them are changed by zeros. EX: i write this 123456789123456789 and the number that is kept is 123456789123456000 Does anyone experienced this and knows how to resolve it. Thanks, Ricardo As you can verify in XL Help ("Specifications"), XL is limited to 15 decimal digits of precision for numbers. If you're entering, say, a credit card number, which doesn't require any math to be performed on it, you can preformat the cell as Text or prefix ...

Deleted items NOT going to Deleted Items folder
Got a new, Windows 7 Home, PC. Dealer imported all from Outlook Express on old XP Home PC. Now when I delete an email it disappears - doesn't go to the Deleted Items folder. How do I get it to go to the Deleted Items folder? Keith I use Outlook Express 6 so your version may be different... Take a look in Tools, Options, Maintenance tab and see if Deleted Messages are deleted; is so, try unchecking. -- Don Vancouver, USA "Keith" <Keith@nohtsystems.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message news:4ccc075f$0$2529$da0feed9@news.zen.co.uk... > Got a new, Windows 7 Home, ...

Displaying the number of unread items
I have just upgraded from Outlook XP/2002 to Outlook 2003 and noticed that the number of unread items no longer displays for public folders. I am in an Exchange 5.5 environment. Has anyone else run into this problem? Thanks! Are you using Public Folder Favorites or just the standard Public Folders? If you add the folders to your Favorites, they should display. --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Due to the (insert latest virus name here) virus, all mail sent to my personal account will be deleted without reading. After search...

Business Alert with SOP Tracking Number
I'm trying to build a business alert that will include the tracking number for all orders shipped the previous day, but the SOP10107 doesn't appear to be included anywhere in business alerts. Anyone know why that is? Or am i just missing it? Thanks. -- Jim@TurboChef You can add any table from the dictionary. Go to Tools --> Utilities --> System --> Business Alerts. -- Charles Allen, MVP "Jim@TurboChef" wrote: > I'm trying to build a business alert that will include the tracking number > for all orders shipped the previous day, but the SOP101...

Stopping the Over-Receipt of Purchase Line Items
Without code, does anybody know of a way to prevent a user from overreceiving a purchase order? The message appears that says the item has been fully received. But, the user is still able to keep going. Thanks -- Charles Allen, MVP Charles, I checked and I don't think you can accomplish this without a customization. Best regards, -- MG.- Mariano Gomez, MIS, MCP, PMP Maximum Global Business, LLC http://www.maximumglobalbusiness.com The Dynamics GP Blogster at http://dynamicsgpblogster.blogspot.com "Charles Allen" wrote: > Without code, does anybody know of a way to...

How do you query the number of available serial ports?
Wondering if anyone has an idea how to do this... I am sure there is a simple system call or something, but I can't seem to find it. Thanks for anyone with a response. Actually, the NUMBER of available serial ports is irrelevant. What is more important is to know what their names are (for example, it is possible to have three serial ports, COM1, COM2 and COM4, such as my laptop has). Do a search on this question in the backlogs of this newsgroup; someone posted an algorithm that enumerates the serial ports using the Setup API calls to locate them. joe On Sat, 19 Mar 2005 05:49:0...

Personal Folder (pst) messages being moved to deleted items folder
A few users I assist have recently had the cleansing of their Personal Folders data. All of this data if broken into dozens of sub-folders and for an unknown reason moved into the "Deleted Items" folder. The good news is the messages are all there, but the bad news, it's no longer sorted logically. 1) Is there any way to reverse this? 2) How can we prevent this from happening again or to others? (I've verified auto archiving is turned off - and noone has run it on their own) Windows XP SP3 - Outlook 2007 SP2. Thank you, Jim 1) Restoring from backup wi...