Product Version vs File Version

When setting these values, what exactly is the difference between the two?
What's an example where they would be different?
Thanks
0
JCO
5/26/2010 9:28:49 PM
vc.mfc 33608 articles. 0 followers. Follow

"JCO" <someone@somewhere.com> wrote in message
> When setting these values, what exactly is the difference between the two?
> What's an example where they would be different?

I have always understood that a 'product' might include an EXE and a number
of DLLs, and that a given version of the 'product' can be defined to contain
different versions of assorted DLLs.

Actually I make my EXE and all my DLLs have matching versions (via a common
header defining parameters used in the VERSIONINFO).   And the product
version matches that.   But of course the file version of MFC included in a
certain 'product version' doesn't match.

Dave

--
David Webber
Mozart Music Software

David
5/26/2010 9:41:29 PM
"JCO" <someone@somewhere.com> wrote in message
> When setting these values, what exactly is the difference between the two?
> What's an example where they would be different?
> Thanks

Product version is usually determined by Marketing, e.g. "you will call this
version of Visual Studio 10.0".

File version can be different for each file in the deliverable, for example
if a DLL is shared between multiple products, it could potentially have its
own numbering scheme.

I agree it's confusing and these should ideally be the same.

-- David

0
David
5/26/2010 10:01:21 PM
On Wed, 26 May 2010 16:28:49 -0500, "JCO" <someone@somewhere.com>
wrote:

>When setting these values, what exactly is the difference between the two?
>What's an example where they would be different?
>Thanks

I update the product version with every release and the file version
if there is any change in the file format.

Steve

--
Neural Planner Software Ltd                  www.NPSL1.com
EasyNN-plus. Neural Networks plus.           www.easynn.com
JCO wrote:

> When setting these values, what exactly is the difference between the two?
> What's an example where they would be different?
> Thanks

Here is how we use it.

Product could be a framework version or server version, where File is
the individual file versions.  Some might view Product as a marketng
version.  We don't.   It depend on your products.

We have an RPC server, so for example, the product version for all
files will be the RPC Server all files worth with:

       6.3.453.4   Product Version for all files
       6.3.451.7   File version for File XYZ
       6.3.453.2   File version for File ABC

etc. If a file 12345.EXE has:

       6.3.453.1   Product Version
       6.3.453.1   File version

Whether it works for the current server version 6.3.453.4, depends on
how you want to enforce that.  For us, as long the the file version
BUILD # is

       45x

then it it supports the current version.

If we wanted to break all clients with a new RPC server, we will make
the server product version:

       46x

All our EXE and DLL clients will register with the server and during
that registration the file version is passed to the server. If it not
compatible, it won't be allowed to continue.

Also, for our electronic updates, we use the File version compares so
the greater one prevails.

BTW - That is one we we control the "DLL HELL" issue people have been
talking about here. :)

--
HLS
0

"Stephen Wolstenholme" <steve@tropheus.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
> On Wed, 26 May 2010 16:28:49 -0500, "JCO" <someone@somewhere.com>
> wrote:
>

>>When setting these values, what exactly is the difference between the two?
>>What's an example where they would be different?
>>Thanks
>
> I update the product version with every release and the file version
> if there is any change in the file format.
>
> Steve
>
> --
> Neural Planner Software Ltd                  www.NPSL1.com
> EasyNN-plus. Neural Networks plus.           www.easynn.com
> SwingNN.     Forecast with Neural Networks.  www.swingnn.com
> JustNN.      Just Neural Networks.           www.justnn.com

0
JCO
5/27/2010 7:08:01 PM
Suppose I have a file that the application writes.  Generlaly, you think of a "product
version" as representing one format of the file.  If you change the format of the file,
then it is a new product version.  But within a product version, you might have "point
releases" such as 2.1, 2.2., 2.3, and so on.  All of which read and write the same file
format.  So in this case the product version is always 2.  If you change the file format,
this becomes product version 3.  Generally, when you add new features, you change the
product version, but the file version represents an actual release.  Add a new feature,
and you should feel entitled to change the product version.  Even if the file format is
the same.  But if you find a bug in version 3.1, and fix it, then the file version would
be 3.2, but since it represents the same feature set as the 3.1 release, it just becomes a
new "file version".  Usually, the file version major version and the product version major
version are the same, only because of tradition.
					joe

On Wed, 26 May 2010 16:28:49 -0500, "JCO" <someone@somewhere.com> wrote:

>When setting these values, what exactly is the difference between the two?
>What's an example where they would be different?
>Thanks
Joseph M. Newcomer [MVP]
email: newcomer@flounder.com
Web: http://www.flounder.com
Joseph
5/29/2010 12:12:46 AM
Understood!

> Suppose I have a file that the application writes.  Generlaly, you think
> of a "product
> version" as representing one format of the file.  If you change the format
> of the file,
> then it is a new product version.  But within a product version, you might
> have "point
> releases" such as 2.1, 2.2., 2.3, and so on.  All of which read and write
> the same file
> format.  So in this case the product version is always 2.  If you change
> the file format,
> this becomes product version 3.  Generally, when you add new features, you
> change the
> product version, but the file version represents an actual release.  Add a
> new feature,
> and you should feel entitled to change the product version.  Even if the
> file format is
> the same.  But if you find a bug in version 3.1, and fix it, then the file
> version would
> be 3.2, but since it represents the same feature set as the 3.1 release,
> it just becomes a
> new "file version".  Usually, the file version major version and the
> product version major
> version are the same, only because of tradition.
> joe
>
> On Wed, 26 May 2010 16:28:49 -0500, "JCO" <someone@somewhere.com> wrote:
>

>>When setting these values, what exactly is the difference between the two?
>>What's an example where they would be different?
>>Thanks
> Joseph M. Newcomer [MVP]
> email: newcomer@flounder.com
> Web: http://www.flounder.com

JCO

I need the "Program Action" used to open EML files in OE...
The new SpamKiller doesn't work quite right many times and it saves "Blocked" EML files on my hard drive but doesn't always "Rescue" them properly. So, when I click on the EML file it opens in Outlook Express. To fix that I changed the "Application used to perform action" under Explorer | Tools | File Types | EML to point to Outlook instead of Outlook Express. Of course, I found out that doesn't work. So I changed it back to what I thought it was but apparently I was wrong and now clicking on an EML file opens Outlook Express but doesn't open th...

Current Yield vs. Yield to Maturity at low prices
When comparing Current Yield to YTM (as calculated from the Excel Yield () function), there are instances when Current Yield > YTM for discounted bonds. I can't seem to make sense of this. For example, the Current Yield for a $100 par-valued bond, with a 10% rate, and price of 1 is 10. But using the function Yield(11/1/09, 11/1/11, 10%, 1, 100, 4) gives a YTM of 9.35 I notice this is only happening with extremely low-priced bonds. I don't think there would ever be an instance when YTM < Current Yield, except for bonds purchased at a premium, so could this is a prob...

For interprocess communication, file mapping should be token or mailslots
Hello! I 'll ask all for a question about interporcess communication on Windows XP as follows: The process A trasmit log information to the process B. And: 1.The length of the log data is variant. Maximum is about 50 bytes. 2.A writing log data and B reading log data must be asynchrony. 3.It may be very frequent that A transmits log data to B. And old log data cann't be overwritten the new one before B reading them. For above requirment. file mapping and mailslots, which is the superior? Please give me your advice. Thanks X.H.Qiu I would recommend follow...

MS Product Offerings For WORD and EXCEL Questions ?
Hello, I read, several times, the MS Office Suite Products page, as well as Anazon's offerings trying to understand these MS product offerings and their permutations, and am confused, as there seem to be several contradictions. If anyone is really sharp on the offerings, and what's available, would be very appreciative of some help. a. Is WORD 2007 available as a stand alone product, or do you have to get it with a "Office Suite" ? If available alone, does the product allow installation on more than 1 PC ? How many ? b. Same question for EXC...

Installation, "Wrong OS or OS version for application
Trying to install Money 2004, insert the CD and I get the disclaimer stating it may need additional componants and also stating anti-virus software may get in the way. I click OK and the error that comes up next is, "Installation of windows installer was not successful. Please install it manually by running instmsiu.exe from your Money CD. Then retry Money 2004 Setup.exe. I click on instmsiu.exe and the error message that comes up promptly reads as, "Wrong OS or OS version for application." I am, indeed, using Windows XP home edition--the rest of the minimum req&#...

Excel on MS worksuite2002 vs Microsoft Office Standard2003
I would like to copy a file/files on the internet to Notepad. This I can do and it is readable. My question is, I would like to move this info from notepad into some kind of an Excel package. My first thought was Import but I don't think that Excel on MS worksuite2002 can do this. Can it? Someone told me that I had to go to Microsoft Office Standard2003 to accompolish this. I went out and purched Microsoft Office Standard2003 but I have not opened it. Before I do I want to make sure that this info is true and I did not waste my money. Thanks for your help. There is no ...

Dramatic Size change in Money 2006 file
While we are starting a new year, I have deleted several old transactions from Money. As a consequence of these activities, the file size increased from 6 MB to 24 MB. Does anyone know why this happens ? -- Ahmet Ozen Because databases do strange things internally sometimes? "Ahmet Ozen" <AhmetOzen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:6E27F9AF-828F-494B-B209-41F75B906D91@microsoft.com... > While we are starting a new year, I have deleted several old transactions > from Money. As a consequence of these activities, the file size increased > from ...

Extract data from csv file
I was looking through this discussion group, found something close to what I need, but not being a programmer, I haven't been able to modify it to what I am attempting to do and I hope someone can help. The .csv files are split into groups by month (ie: "c:\Jan\file name.csv)". I need to search within the group of csv files and extract data into an Excel file. What I would like to do is if Cell A1 in my active wb matches the data to the right of the 76 comma in the csv file, extract the 'text' value (must be specified as text as this data is a 19 digit ...

match computers in 2 text files
Can somebody help me with a vbscript. I want search computers in 2 textfiles, if the computers matched then write in Computers01.txt a text like "OK" i want read the first computers01.txt en match they other text file ( computers02.txt ) Example: computers01.txt computers02.txt ----------------- ----------------- server001,OK server003 server002, server001 server003,OK Server045 ...

How to Display PNG File in VC ++ 6.0
Dear Friend I am developing an application in which i have to display an PNG(Portable Network Graphic)file in Dialog Application.. I have downloaded CImage Class(including dll and lib) from code project. Can any one help me in using this class for displaying .png file. If any one has other solution then please let me know.. please Note that i am using VC 6.0 Regards Jignesh What the exact problem are you getting!!! do u created a text project for testing CImage class( i believe you have donwloaded it from http://www.visualc.com -- With Regards Alok Gupta Visit me at http://alok.bizh...

Export to fixed width text file
I need to export an Excel spreadsheet to a fixed width text file--it cannot be tab- or comma-delimited. I've found that Access can do this correctly for me and will let me control the export process. However, my problem is that my company does not support Access so I have to find another method of exporting, and about the only tool I have available is Excel. No matter what I seem to do, it saves it in a tab-delimited format. To try and force it as a fixed width file, I change the font to Courier New, then I save it as a MS-DOS .txt file. Can someone suggest something that may h...

Unable to save file directly to network from word 2007
For somereason I am not able to save word files onto the network directly. It gives me "There has been a network or file permission error. The network connection may be lost". I tried the steps in this KB: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/291156?p=1 Method 2 and 3 dont fix it. I can save it localy and then copy it to the network, but that is a pain. I tried different hotfixes, but they dont help. This is the only computer with the problem. Thanks Did you try the hotfix in the article "Word cannot complete the save due to a file permiss...

Money vs Quicken #2
I recently bought Money 2004, but had to return it when I found out it would not import my Quicken 2004 files. But I haven't given up yet on Money. I have cancelled my Quicken online BillPay service as my bank now offers the same service (for free). I now have no more reason to stay with Quicken which has some minor but annoying problems as far as I'm concerned. Can anyone comment on the following Quicken issues and tell me if Money has the same problems? Thanks, Bill -------------------------------------- Complaints about Quicken: 1.EPmt followed by paper results in automa...

regarding file synchronization
Hi All, I need help in file synchronization. I want to implement functionality in my application that if any file is updating by another application then I can not update. And if any file, which is opened in my application, has been modified by another application, then I should get one message that file is modified by another program which almost all editor provide. Can any one tell me how I can do these? Thanks, Mishra Part of the problem is solvable. The ::LockFileEx/::UnlockFileEx APIs will allow you to lock any region of the file into which you are writing. No one else will be a...

Log Files [WP]
On one of my exchange server's MDBDATA folder is about 12.6 GB and there are only 25 mailboxes on this server. I noticed there are tons of log files there from 10/8/2004 to date. These should be flushing out daily after a full backup and circular logging is disabled. We run Veritas, full daily backups successfully. Advise please. Thank you. On Wed, 14 Dec 2005 06:27:03 -0800, "WILDPACKET" <WILDPACKET@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >On one of my exchange server's MDBDATA folder is about 12.6 GB and there are >only 25 mailboxes on this server. I notice...

Importing multiple text files to spreadsheet
Just wondering if anyone might know if there's a way to automate this problem: I have 200 text files that need to be imported to 1 worksheet on Excel. - each file should be imported to 1 column in the Excel worksheet - the 'next' file imported to the next column - thus after the import, there should be 200 filled columns - starting with zero columns filled ??? Any ideas? ========================== FYI: essentially, i'm trying to get information from the text files - which represent 1 record - to a database, & i'm using a spreadsheet to do this coz after the i...

howto: saveas with file name from a cell in the current worksheet

Calendar exchange notes/domino vs outlook/exchange
Does anyone know about a solution to exchange calendar (not only free/busy - the real calendar items) between outlook and notes calendar ...

When choosing default file location get error "the folder is not valid"
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: Intel I am trying to specify a networked drive as the default file location for my Word documents. I can open files from the drive within Word, and I'm connected to the server/network drive. But when I try to specify it as the default location I receive this error. That's amazing: Your post has already been copied to six websites that are stealing our content :-) I do not know the answer for sure, but I "think" there is a hard-coded check in there that specifies that a network drive cannot be us...

PDF file #15

*.pst file #2
hi all please help me in this i have a pst file with a password and know it put wheb i try to import this file to the outlook XP i have this wornning ( file access is denied. you do not have thpermission requird to access the file )pls help me on this and i know the password for this file On Sat, 2 Aug 2003 02:54:07 -0700, "Emad Magdy" <emadlh@link.net> wrote: >hi all >please help me in this >i have a pst file with a password and know it >put wheb i try to import this file to the outlook XP >i have this wornning >( file access is denied. you do not have t...

Version error
Hello all. I'm getting this error Missing mandatory attribute 'version'. with the below XML <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?> <rs:data xmlns:rs="namespace_for_rs" xmlns:z="namespace_for_z"> <z:row PageID="index.aspx" ParentID="0" PageTitle="Home" PageAddress="../Index.aspx"/> <z:row PageID="aboutIndex.aspx" ParentID="0" PageTitle="About" PageAddress="../about/aboutIndex.aspx"/> <z:row PageID="customers.aspx" ...

How to tell what version of exchange and sp in the smtp header
Hi, As in the subject. I remembered there was an article on this but I can't find it. TIA AL http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;158530 On Mon, 23 Aug 2004 01:15:55 +0800, "Alfred Loo" <alfred.loo@ieee.org> wrote: >Hi, As in the subject. I remembered there was an article on this but I >can't find it. > >TIA >AL > ...

File Download
I'm installing CRM client on an XP Pro SP3 laptop with Outlook 2007. When I launch Outlook and go to CRM, I get a file download box that is asking me to save a file named Blank.aspx. It is coming from my server. This isn't happening on any other PC. If I save it, it just saves a blank text document to the desktop. This file download pops up on every CRM screen. Is there a way to turn this file download off? Thanks, John Hi John, Are you using IE6 and do you have KB953838 - if so then the workaround would be as follows: 1. Save the “blank.aspx” file to the desktop 2...

Printing a Picture File on a Document
Is there a way to use a "print when" kind of statement to print a picture file on a document? I don't get what you want to do. Can you rephrase that? -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] Tech Editor for "Microsoft Publisher 2007 For Dummies" "OdieLR" <OdieLR@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:3DCC24AD-E0B4-4DE2-84DF-D2A429A386C5@microsoft.com... > Is there a way to use a "print when" kind of statement to print a picture > file on a document? ...