POST or GET?

(apologies if this is OT but I couldn't find an HTTP newsgroup)

I am writing an MFC client application which speaks to an HTTP server. The
server will send text data to the client, the client will modify and return
that data to the server along with a small amount of new data.

Should I use GET or POST to get the data from the server?

vc.mfc 33608 articles. 0 followers. Follow

"Richard" <richard@hello.com> wrote in message
> I am writing an MFC client application which speaks to an HTTP server. The
> server will send text data to the client, the client will modify and
> return that data to the server along with a small amount of new data.
>
> Should I use GET or POST to get the data from the server?

You are right it, this is off-topic in the groups to which you posted.

That said, if you don't want to be limited by the size of a query string
you'd be better off with a POST and a content length header.

Regards,
Will

"Richard" <richard@hello.com> wrote in message
> (apologies if this is OT but I couldn't find an HTTP newsgroup)
>
> I am writing an MFC client application which speaks to an HTTP
> server. The server will send text data to the client, the client will
> modify and return that data to the server along with a small amount
> of new data.
> Should I use GET or POST to get the data from the server?

A rule of thumb is to use GET for operations without side effects on the
server (e.g. simply reading an HTML file from the server), POST for
operations that may have side effects (e.g. submitting a purchase order
form).
--
With best wishes,
    Igor Tandetnik

necessarily a good idea. It is hard to be sure where they are going to
land, and it could be dangerous sitting under them as they fly
overhead. -- RFC 1925

0
itandetnik (127)

getting a users and usergroups
Hi, This isn't really a mfc question more a win32 question. I've googled and search msdn but I havn't found any good information. I need to (on w2k) make a list of users and usergroups on the domain. any thoughts of what functions I should look in to? thanks /Niklas On Thu, 10 Jul 2003 17:32:04 +0200, Niklas Olsson wrote: >But when I try to enum groups I get back "None" (with both NetGroupEnum and >the NetQuery...) You'd better post your code here (just the NetGroupEnum version) so we can take a look. Just the function that sets up the structs and calls N...

How to get the applications folder path
what is the VBA command to get the application folder path in mac office 2004? Can't be done in VBA: look in the AppleScript dictionary. On 4/12/09 1:09 AM, in article A72637CD-D311-45BE-AA70-7B5AE24CADC5@microsoft.com, "Mac Office Developer" <MacOfficeDeveloper@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > what is the VBA command to get the application folder path in mac office 2004? -- The email below is my business email -- Please do not email me about forum matters unless I ask you to; or unless you intend to pay! John McGhie, Microsoft MVP (Word, Mac Wo...

Outlook 2003
When starting Outlook 2003 I get a message to say that it encountered a problem and needs to close - send error report or dont send. Either response brings up another dialog box advising that Outlook failed to start correctly last time and that I should start in safe mode to help correct or isolate a start up problem etc. Choices are - do you want to start Outlook in safe mode - yes or no. The no response returns me to the previous dialogue box while the yes response starts up Outlook in safe mode with all of its limitations (eg, not able to attach a file with an outgoing emai...

Getting row indexes on Range
(I refer to C# code, but answers in VB are welcome) I have a Range in Excel, which includes several cells (the cells the user selected in the Excel sheet). The range might include the following cells A2, B7, G4. This means that the cells might not be connected. If I look at myRange.Cells.Count, it will return 3. If I look at myRange.Row, it will return 2 (if A2 was the first selected row by the user). Now, I need to get the row numbers of all selected rows, so in the above range, I need an int[] of {2, 7, 4}. But I can't see any solution to go through the Cells and get t...

I cannot read forwarded messages. I only get an email address
For some reason, when someone forwards a message to me all that shows up is the email address of the person who originally sent the message. Any ideas? Change your View>Encoding setting. "Michelle10000" wrote: > For some reason, when someone forwards a message to me all that shows up is > the email address of the person who originally sent the message. Any ideas? ...

How do you get the maximum value to display in text box form
In a form, if I have 4 text boxes and 3 of them will contain a number. How do you get the maximum value to display in the 4th. I have tried many different things, I can make it work for a single field in a table, but that finds the value through all records. I just want it to display the max value from the numbers on the form, which could be different for various records. You could use something like this as the Control Source of the 4th text box (the underscore is for ease of reading here, and must be removed from the Control Source): =IIf([Field1]>[Field2] And [Field1]>[Field3],...

Can't get Date Range to work from Form to Report
Hi, I've followed Allen Browne's directions very closely for creating a form for a date range to limit results to that date range on a report and can not get it to work for some reason. I've read many threads on this board which all say the same thing and it seems to work for everyone else. :( Here's what I have: A form with two unbound text boxes called [txtDateBegin] and [txtDateEnd]. The form is called "frmDateRange" and the report is called "Sales Activity Report". The two unbound text boxes are set to "Short Date" format which the user ...

Offline post-callouts?
Hello, We're using a post-callout to add some business logic to the MS CRM, but now we want that business logic available to the Outlook client when working offline as well. We've installed the COM+ component on a test client, and registered it with CRM, and it gets called at the appropriate time, but it doesn't work: the component blocks when trying to create a CRM object (e.g. BizUser). An alternative would be to access the local MSDE datastore directly, but we can't figure out how to do that (we always get "connection refused"). We're unable to find any docu...

How do I get a split screen for mail and calendar in Outlook?
You used to be able to have your calendar on the right and email in the middle on a split screen. I can't find that option anymore and am wondering if it still exists and if so, where. I don't want to have to toggle between email and calendar. Any suggestions? Outlook 2007 - on the to do bar on far right click the "<<" at the top. Opens the To Do bar with calendar that has days with appointments hilited and upcoming appointments listed below calendar. "rakugirl2001" <rakugirl2001@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:8A5...

Getting rid of blank rows withouth deleting them
Hi, i have a list that looks like this 22 43 22 41 ... I need the list to be together 22 43 22 41 ... However i can't use a macro or something to delete the entire ro because other worksheets are related to the cells, so when i delte th row, the #ref thing apears, somebody know a formula or something tha can help me? Thanks a lo -- sams ----------------------------------------------------------------------- samsg's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1624 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=27725 You could fi...

need to get rid error message
Last month I tried to install Symantec's Winfax software on my XP Pro machine. For whatever reason, it kept crashing during the installation, and I couldn't figure out a way around it. Now whenever I first start Word or Excel, I get an error message that says: Compile error in hidden module: WinFaxPrintAndMerge I can click OK and it goes away, but what do I need to do to make it so that message doesn't appear again? In other words, how do I fix whatever it is that it thinks is wrong? Any help you can provide would be much appreciated. Thanks. By the way, I'm usin...

Getting local Time and date for the local computer(vista OS)
Hi I am working with Vista(one of a kind), and have a MFC application and would like to add small code that will get current time and date from the local compuetr. i meet an example in MSDN : http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa390423(VS.85).aspx but it looks too long for what i am looking, is there a 1 function API that returns the Date and the time ? thanks for your time Zack >Hi I am working with Vista(one of a kind), >and have a MFC application and would like to add small code that will get >current time and date from the local compuetr. >i meet an example in MSDN...

Payroll Posting Accounts #5
v9.0 / SQL2000 When you have the payroll posting accounts set up, how does GP know where to post transactions to, if only 2 of the 3 segments match? We have our accounts set up according to the following examples: ACCOUNTING > ACCOUNTING > SALARY ACCOUNTING > ALL > SALARY ALL > ACCOUNTING > ALL ALL > ALL > ALL Say if an employee had a transaction, and only the first 2 of the 3 segments match (ACCOUNTING > ACCOUNTING) Where would GP post the transaction amounts ? ...

SP2 Post-Installation Problem
I have just updated our exchange server 2003 to SP2 and have now lost the ability to send and receive any mail - either internally across the network, or externally. Any e-mails sent from outlook clients simply reamin in the outbox and refuse to move. All services seem to be running ok. Can anyone offer any help or pointers for which direction I need to look in ? Thanks I guess you already tried reboot? SkySurfer wrote: > I have just updated our exchange server 2003 to SP2 and have now lost the > ability to send and receive any mail - either internally across the network, > or ...

How to get the envelope back
Hi, A few days ago I got an email, however after reading it the envelope was still in the task bar so I right clicked on it and selected hide envelope. Now the envelope doesn't appear at all, is there a way to get it back? Thanks for your help. The option to turn that back on should be here in OL2003: Tools menu > Options > Email > Advanced "Shaun" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message news:eoTmU8UtFHA.1256@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl... > Hi, > > A few days ago I got an email, however after reading it the envelope was > still in the task bar so I r...

getting rid of the standard mfc icon (in taskbar)
i made an application based on mfc, and used the standard mfc icon up until now. i thought changing it would be a simple task. in the resource editor i got rid of all mfc icons in various resolutions, and replaced it with my own icon in 3 different resolutions. it does work in almost all the places: the main window is shown with the correct icon, the taskbar shows correctly with the icon, even MessageBox() shows the icon now, but as soon as i do open a MessageBox while my main-window is shown, the counter in taskbar moves up to two (you know how windows xp groups together tasks with th...

How to get the resource from Resource Only Dll
hmod=LoadLibrary("testdll.dll"); hr=FindResource(hmod,MAKEINTRESOURCE(504),"GIF"); if(hr == NULL) MessageBox("This is not working"); else MessageBox("This is working"); here, i am try to get the image(gif) resource,which is stored in the dll(for example testdll.dll). Where as image resource type is "GIF" And resource ID is 504. But i am unable to find the resource. But when i try this FindResource(hmod,MAKEINTRESOURCE(501),RT_BITMAP); Where i have also stored an BITMAP file, and tried find the resource . i have succeded in th...

General Ledger - General Posting Journal
On the General Posting Journal Printed Report (print JE's), how do I add a column on the printed report to show the Distribution Reference (next to the account description)? Example: Journal Transaction Transaction Audit Trail Entry Type Reference Code 2,083 Standard Adj Aug Interest GLTRX0000318 Account Description **DISTRIBUTION REFERENCE** Debit Credit 000-1000-000 Interest Exp Book interest to actual xx xx ...

No Sponsoring - We Advertise
No Sponsoring - We Advertise - You Get $8,100 or else we continue to Advertise! Welcome to DollarsBlaster.com! You are invited to join one of the most rewarding financial ventures - online! There is nothing complicated to learn! The entire process is based on two ONE-TIME payments of $9 and a one time hosting fee of $7. But, as you'll learn very quickly, the revenue returned to you can range anywhere, up to $8,100, and above! Are you sick and tired of Sponsoring and Advertising? <O:P></O:P> Join us and we will keep advertising for you until we blast $8,100 in your Pa...

I am trying to get access to display leading zeros and auto numbe
we use a sequential number system that begins new each month but we need it to hold 4 places 0001, 0002. etc. I would like to know if Access will do this. "Donna" <Donna@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:484176CC-EFDE-48BB-BF18-C5BEFD695710@microsoft.com... > we use a sequential number system that begins new each month but we need > it > to hold 4 places 0001, 0002. etc. I would like to know if Access will do > this. Yes, but ... You can't use the built-in autonumber field to do what you want. Therefore you'll need so...

test post
Testing my ability to Post. ...

How to get the caption?
I write a program what to get text from a window and its subwindow,but sometimes I input a caption like IE,Outlook etc,it display: Default IME Look: CGettextDlg* gl; BOOL CALLBACK GetCont(HWND hCWnd,LPARAM lParam) { char ss[1000]; ::SendMessage(hCWnd,WM_GETTEXT,1000,(LPARAM)ss); gl->m_strEdit2=ss; gl->UpdateData(false); return true; } void CGettextDlg::OnButton1() { // TODO: Add your control notification handler code here CString strName; UpdateData(); strName=m_strEdit1; gl=this; HWND hWnd=::FindWindow(NULL,strName); EnumChildWindows(hWnd,GetCont,0); } how to get ...

why getting event 9551 warnings?
I thought that when you switched to native mode (which we have) that these problems with zombie ACL's went away. Why are we still getting these errors? (running Exch 2003 SP1) Thx, J. ...

How to get rid of error with WFOLADIN.DLL? TIA!
I uninstalled WinFax but I get an error message when I open Outlook 2003 saying "C:\Doc...etc..\wfoladin.dll is not a valid Office AddIn." I looked in the folder though and the file doesn't exist any more. Suggestions on how to get rid of the error message? Much thanks!!! Remove the WinFax Pro extensions in the Add-in Manager (Tools > Options > Other > Advanced Options...) -- Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook] "scripteez" <scripteez@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:3gkd105q664tsocnhsak0f12h1cnttc3nl@4ax.com... > I uninstalled WinFax but I get an error me...

Did Publisher 2007 get left behind?
Did Publisher 2007 somehow escape the Office 2007 redesign that was done to Word, Excel, etc. I don't see the ribbon and it doesn't appear to be using the .pubx filetype. Publisher is Office's black sheep... -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "Lurfys Maw" <invalid@invalid.invalid> wrote in message news:haql44p59ts3k3j7b9rd2nkldnliqrk9qd@4ax.com... > Did Publisher 2007 somehow escape the Office 2007 redesign that was > done to Word, Excel, etc. I don't see the ribbon and it doesn'...